inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: End of the American Idol

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/15 at 10:22 am

American Idol is to air its final series next year after 15 seasons, Fox has announced.

The singing competition, which launched the careers of the likes of Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Jennifer Hudson, drew a massive 36 million viewers in its heyday in 2006.

But ratings have fallen every year since, with the current season pulling in a series low of 11.6 million viewers.

Current judges Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr will return for the show's swansong next January, along with host Ryan Seacrest.

The current series is due to reveal its winner later this week.

Subject: Re: End of the American Idol

Written By: Howard on 05/11/15 at 2:55 pm

American Idol is to air its final series next year after 15 seasons, Fox has announced.

American Idol had quite a run but after the low ratings, it just wasn't the same.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/11/15 at 4:28 pm

There's only so much you can do with reality shows before they get stale. I say drop them all and come up with new ideas already. At least America's Got Talent has variety, but even that will have the same types of acts with each new season. You'll always see singers, dancers, magicians, acrobats, and performance artists. Those are the usual.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/11/15 at 4:30 pm

It was never the same after Simon and Paula left! :\'(  It was time for it to end! :(

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/11/15 at 4:31 pm

It was never the same after Simon and Paula left! :\'(  It was time for it to end! :(

Simon was a jerk, not someone to miss!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/11/15 at 4:38 pm

I gotta admit he was pretty entertaining to watch though!

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/11/15 at 5:06 pm

I gotta admit he was pretty entertaining to watch though!

Even so, he's not a nice person.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/11/15 at 5:07 pm

Let's hope they do not bring back "Fantasia" for a reunion. I can't stand her constant blubbering.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/11/15 at 8:55 pm

For the finale, they should bring back Simon to literally eat crow for what he said about Tori Kelly, who now has a hit song called "Nobody Love."

EbEwOvE_aYs

Also, bring back Simon, Paula, and Randy as guest judges for the finale. And bring back the Pants on the Ground guy.

Simon should also publicly apologize for One Direction.  ;D

Never watched (or into) Idol or its ilk. The only reason I watched Superstar USA was because it mocked American Idol. The only reason I watched The X Factor was because of Britney, and I ended up falling in love with the show and stuck with it until Fox gave it the ax.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/11/15 at 11:09 pm

American Idol had quite a run but after the low ratings, it just wasn't the same.

I think the low ratings had a lot to do with the departure of the original three judges Randy, Simon, and Paula.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/11/15 at 11:12 pm

American Idol had a good run but its time for it to go.  It hasn't been relevant since Simon left.  2009 was the last year I watched it.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/12/15 at 12:01 am

I heard rumours Simon, Paula and Randy will be back for the final season next year. Can anyone confirm if it's true?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/12/15 at 4:59 am

They should give William Hung and Sangina another shot at stardom.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/15 at 5:51 am

I heard rumours Simon, Paula and Randy will be back for the final season next year. Can anyone confirm if it's true?
Right at this moment Simon "SiCo" Cowell is busy with Britain's Got Talent and soon to commence with The X Factor.

Written By: Henk on 05/12/15 at 5:58 am

The singing competition, which launched the careers of the likes of Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Jennifer Hudson, drew a massive 36 million viewers in its heyday in 2006.

But ratings have fallen every year since, with the current season pulling in a series low of 11.6 million viewers.

Current judges Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr will return for the show's swansong next January, along with host Ryan Seacrest.

The current series is due to reveal its winner later this week.

Fifteen seasons, that's really milking it. We've only had four seasons before other shows with a similar concept took over (higher ratings).

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/15 at 6:02 am

Fifteen seasons, that's really milking it. We've only had four seasons before other shows with a similar concept took over (higher ratings).
The UK had Pop Idol which changed to The X Factor after two seasons. In total 13 years.

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/15 at 7:32 am

The UK had Pop Idol which changed to The X Factor after two seasons. In total 13 years.

I'm surprised the "Idol" show still exists in some countries.  Most of the ones that had it switched to The X Factor, which makes sense cause it's a far better format.

I wonder has every country that's had an Idol series produced any singers that became world famous that are still successful?

We used to have Canadian Idol, and in the 6 year run of the show, the only contestant to make it world-wide was Carly Rae Jepsen and she only placed 3rd during the Season she was on. 

V458He7UYSM

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/15 at 7:38 am

I'm surprised the "Idol" show still exists in some countries.  Most of the ones that had it switched to The X Factor, which makes sense cause it's a far better format.

I wonder has every country that's had an Idol series produced any singers that became world famous that are still successful?

We used to have Canadian Idol, and in the 6 year run of the show, the only contestant to make it world-wide was Carly Rae Jepsen and she only placed 3rd during the Season she was on. 

V458He7UYSM
It seems that "The Voice" (now in various countries) is far more popular.

Written By: Henk on 05/12/15 at 7:55 am

Yeah, we've also had The X Factor. It sort of replaced Idols, and has run for five seasons now. It hasn't been axed yet, so I guess it's still running, but it's facing fierce competition from shows like The Voice and Holland's Got Talent.

The short answer for the Netherlands is: no. As fas as I know, none of the contestants have made it internationally, though some (mostly winners) are still successful in the Netherlands.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/15 at 2:37 pm

and plus Randy Jackson too.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/15 at 2:37 pm

I thought he was a bit of a jerk too.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/15 at 2:39 pm

Let's hope they do not bring back "Fantasia" for a reunion. I can't stand her constant blubbering.

maybe they'll bring back guys from Season 1 And 2.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/15 at 2:43 pm

Also, bring back Simon, Paula, and Randy as guest judges for the finale. And bring back the Pants on the Ground guy.

I would love for them to bring back Larry Platt. ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/12/15 at 2:45 pm

American Idol had a good run but its time for it to go.  It hasn't been relevant since Simon left.  2009 was the last year I watched it.

I watched it between 2001-2006.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/12/15 at 2:49 pm

V458He7UYSM

Hedley was successful in North America too.

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/15 at 5:01 pm

Hedley was successful in North America too.

Not in the mainstream though:  To date, they've had 2 hits in the US Adult Contemporary Top 40.  Not sure why the Americans aren't biting.  From what I can tell, their stuff is being released there.

Written By: Howard on 05/13/15 at 7:12 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=231&v=wIPAZKu_KXQ

Check for new replies or respond here...