inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Could TRL save the music business ?

Written By: the2001 on 05/20/15 at 4:30 pm

Do you think if TRL came back it would help the music business like it did in 1999 2000 2001?
In that time TRL made album sales go quadruple  platinum! Esp since we have services like
spotify, music is now as big as ever. Last year MTV experimented with bringing back TRL
for one episode in July 2014 and it got almost a Million views in ratings. It seems they are scared it wont get many
viewers, but people want to watch music videos again on tv.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/7415b4906d7e20f364b94a9a77436a11/tumblr_n83y0d2rgP1qh9nffo1_500.gif

http://musicblog.vh1.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ariana.jpg

Subject: Re: Could TRL save the music business ?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/15 at 6:13 pm

Oh heck yeah, especially if it were to headline Ariola Grande as I think you are suggesting.  8)

Written By: bchris02 on 05/21/15 at 2:33 pm

No, because MTV isn't what it once was and TRL holds no nostalgic value for today's teens.

Most who want music videos back on MTV are older than the network's target audience. 

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/21/15 at 3:47 pm

Gosh, no. And for several reasons. Some of which have already been stated.

1: MTV isn't what it was in the '80s and '90s.

2: It would just make music even more teenybopper, and I'm sick of that!

3: Ariana Grande sucks.

4: We already have the Internet for that. There's no need for the MTV channell period anymore.

Were you born in 2001?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/21/15 at 4:28 pm

I remember the old TRL. I grew up with that. I saw everyone who was anyone on there--Michael Jackson, Prince, before Prince got boring, Usher, everyone who was cool then. It's past its prime now. And it's like Arctic Fox said, MTV isn't what it was.

Because I remember I couldn't go to school without seeing the videos that morning...those days are gone. I caught music videos on MTV about 3 months ago and almost passed out cause it had been SO LONG since I had seen one on there.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/21/15 at 4:38 pm

I remember the old TRL. I grew up with that. I saw everyone who was anyone on there--Michael Jackson, Prince, before Prince got boring, Usher, everyone who was cool then. It's past its prime now. And it's like Arctic Fox said, MTV isn't what it was.

Because I remember I couldn't go to school without seeing the videos that morning...those days are gone. I caught music videos on MTV about 3 months ago and almost passed out cause it had been SO LONG since I had seen one on there.

I agree with this.

Bringing back TRL and music videos on MTV today would probably be a success initially but would become a failure pretty quickly after the nostalgia factor wears off. There isn't a practical purpose for it in today's society and today's teenagers, the cohort MTV is primarily targeted to, have no memory of TRL or the old MTV.

Written By: the2001 on 05/21/15 at 8:37 pm

Gosh, no. And for several reasons. Some of which have already been stated.

2: It would just make music even more teenybopper, and I'm sick of that!

3: Ariana Grande sucks.

4: We already have the Internet for that. There's no need for the MTV channell period anymore.

Were you born in 2001?

Written By: the2001 on 05/21/15 at 8:40 pm

I agree with this.

Bringing back TRL and music videos on MTV today would probably be a success initially but would become a failure pretty quickly after the nostalgia factor wears off. There isn't a practical purpose for it in today's society and today's teenagers, the cohort MTV is primarily targeted to, have no memory of TRL or the old MTV.

artists need a place to promote that isnt fragmented

Written By: 80sfan on 05/21/15 at 8:52 pm

Good music will save the music industry, and innovation. I can see why you feel that TRL will save it though, in 1998 when it came out the music industry was at a high. In America, in 2001, record sales started to decline.

Written By: the2001 on 05/21/15 at 9:03 pm

Good music will save the music industry, and innovation. I can see why you feel that TRL will save it though, in 1998 when it came out the music industry was at a high. In America, in 2001, record sales started to decline.

trl didnt even become a phenomenon until 1999 2000

but are u saying that album sales were so high in the late 90s - early 2000s
that they didnt need that extra help

Written By: 80sfan on 05/21/15 at 9:49 pm

trl didnt even become a phenomenon until 1999 2000

but are u saying that album sales were so high in the late 90s - early 2000s
that they didnt need that extra help

Kind of. TRL probably did help record sales go up but it also help music become too commercial and shallow too. I'm not a marketing or music expert so this is a guess.

The biggest selling album of 2000 sold 9.9 million alone in the US, that was No Strings Attached by Nsync.
Then when records started to fall in 2001, the biggest selling was only 4.8 million. This was The Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park. It already started falling in 2001. But even until 2009/2010 it was easier to sell records but after that, artists are lucky to even go Platinum (1 million in sales), unless you're Taylor Swift of course.  ;D

So TRL only helped a little for the music industry. I don't think it's TRL's fault that album sales went down but I don't think TRL was that big of a help either.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/21/15 at 11:18 pm

Kind of. TRL probably did help record sales go up but it also help music become too commercial and shallow too. I'm not a marketing or music expert so this is a guess.

The biggest selling album of 2000 sold 9.9 million alone in the US, that was No Strings Attached by Nsync.
Then when records started to fall in 2001, the biggest selling was only 4.8 million. This was The Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park. It already started falling in 2001. But even until 2009/2010 it was easier to sell records but after that, artists are lucky to even go Platinum (1 million in sales), unless you're Taylor Swift of course.  ;D

So TRL only helped a little for the music industry. I don't think it's TRL's fault that album sales went down but I don't think TRL was that big of a help either.

I think the biggest role TRL played during this time period was in establishing rising stars. From roughly 1999-2001 it was just one of those shows that you rushed home from school everyday to watch, and I can say with certainty that, at least with me and my friends, cracking the TRL top 10 was the ultimate sign that a band or singer had "made it".

The album sales of the Y2K years are hard to fathom by today's standards (the NSYNC album you mentioned actually sold a staggering 2.4 million copies in it's first week!). The recording industry can go ahead and kiss those days goodbye though, because they ain't coming back. Thanks to YouTube, iTunes, Spotify and all that good stuff, TRL could return a million times over and we'll still never see an album come close to selling 2-and-a-half million copies in a week again.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/15 at 7:01 am

MTV is more about reality TV programming, no more music videos.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/15 at 7:18 am

MTV is more about reality TV programming, no more music videos.
I never watch it now.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/22/15 at 11:14 am

I think the biggest role TRL played during this time period was in establishing rising stars. From roughly 1999-2001 it was just one of those shows that you rushed home from school everyday to watch, and I can say with certainty that, at least with me and my friends, cracking the TRL top 10 was the ultimate sign that a band or singer had "made it".

The album sales of the Y2K years are hard to fathom by today's standards (the NSYNC album you mentioned actually sold a staggering 2.4 million copies in it's first week!). The recording industry can go ahead and kiss those days goodbye though, because they ain't coming back. Thanks to YouTube, iTunes, Spotify and all that good stuff, TRL could return a million times over and we'll still never see an album come close to selling 2-and-a-half million copies in a week again.

I remember there were at least two album each year that ended up selling 10 million in the end, and that's only in the states.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/22/15 at 1:41 pm

1999 and 2000 was also the height of the dial-up era.  Internet connections were too slow back then for convenient music downloads.  The CD was still the way to go and in fact was its golden age.  The slow decline in album sales coincides with the switch to broadband Internet connectivity and MP3 downloads.  2001 was the year of Napster and it's no coincidence that is when album sales really began to drop off.

I am sure having TRL helped sell albums back then but it wasn't the reason for the sales. 

Written By: Howard on 05/22/15 at 1:59 pm

I never watch it now.

me neither.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/15 at 2:01 pm

2001 was the year of Napster and it's no coincidence that is when album sales really began to drop off.

and everyone chose PTP.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/22/15 at 11:52 pm

I think social media has taken the place of outlets like MTV once provided. I'm nobody and I have almost 700 followers and you know real celebs have thousands and millions of followers! I mean it was a good place in time for me. I mean I have really vivid memories of the video premieres. Skipping school to see Michael Jackson and N'Sync and Backstreet Boys latest videos. Now kids just link up on their phones or tablets or whatever.

There's no fun to it, not that I can think of. And it's bad to be only 29 and so nostalgic already, but that's the truth. Between events on BET, MTV and VH1--and my best friend having Centric and Fuse, I just about faked every illness I could think of to see my faves. I even had a system to be believable to stay home from school, that worked and out of 5 years I only missed ONE event on TV for being late.  ;D But I have those memories and treasure them. Kids don't know about that now.

Written By: the2001 on 05/23/15 at 6:25 am

I think social media has taken the place of outlets like MTV once provided. I'm nobody and I have almost 700 followers and you know real celebs have thousands and millions of followers! I mean it was a good place in time for me. I mean I have really vivid memories of the video premieres. Skipping school to see Michael Jackson and N'Sync and Backstreet Boys latest videos. Now kids just link up on their phones or tablets or whatever.

There's no fun to it, not that I can think of. And it's bad to be only 29 and so nostalgic already, but that's the truth. Between events on BET, MTV and VH1--and my best friend having Centric and Fuse, I just about faked every illness I could think of to see my faves. I even had a system to be believable to stay home from school, that worked and out of 5 years I only missed ONE event on TV for being late.  ;D But I have those memories and treasure them. Kids don't know about that now.

TRL could still work for only video premieres tho

Written By: Howard on 05/23/15 at 6:54 am

I think social media has taken the place of outlets like MTV once provided

and now people can talk about MTV on Facebook and Twitter.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/23/15 at 8:32 pm

I've pondered this question myself. It's getting tougher for freshman acts to break in. "Worth It" is Fifth Harmony's first Top 20 hit -- this despite previous single releases, and being X-Factor (US, season 2 "The Britney season") contestants.

A revived TRL would be a cool place to premiere videos and to break new artists. Would it really be enough for an average Joe like myself to tell you...?

Hey, you've got to check out (insert artist: Eden xo, Tori Kelly, The Last Internationale, Nate Ruess, Lunchmoney Lewis, Tove Lo, Ryn Weaver, Hozier, or whoever)! Stream the hell out of his/her their song(s), and request on the radio. Don't forget to buy the single.

Average Joe might be able to reach two people if he's lucky. But if it's somebody like Carson Daly telling you...

Hey, we've got a special guest. Here to premiere her new music video, "The Weekend," ladies and gentlemen, Eden xo. ...

"The Weekend" is now available on iTunes, Spotify, YouTube, Vevo, Amazon, GooglePlay, and Neil Young's Pono. And tell your local radio stations to play it.

...that would reach more people, and possibly help sales. (I'm just using Eden xo as an example. You can substitute any artist.)

It could also (maybe-ish??) benefit long-in-the-tooth acts who can't rely on pop radio airplay (AC/DC, Tony Bennett, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan) who otherwise might not reach that wide of a mainstream audience.

But you're right, MTV isn't what it used to be, even when TRL was popular. Nickelodeon brought back some of its 90s shows for a block called The 90s Are All That, but they don't air it on Nickelodeon, they air it on TeenNick. MTV brought back Headbanger's Ball and Celebrity Death Match, but on MTV2. Cartoon Network brought back Toonami, but on Adult Swim. See where I'm going with this? They could maybe revive TRL on MTV, MTV2, VH1, or VH1 Classic, or another channel altogether.

Written By: the2001 on 05/23/15 at 9:33 pm

I've pondered this question myself. It's getting tougher for freshman acts to break in. "Worth It" is Fifth Harmony's first Top 20 hit -- this despite previous single releases, and being X-Factor (US, season 2 "The Britney season") contestants.

A revived TRL would be a cool place to premiere videos and to break new artists. Would it really be enough for an average Joe like myself to tell you...?

Average Joe might be able to reach two people if he's lucky. But if it's somebody like Carson Daly telling you...

...that would reach more people, and possibly help sales. (I'm just using Eden xo as an example. You can substitute any artist.)

It could also (maybe-ish??) benefit long-in-the-tooth acts who can't rely on pop radio airplay (AC/DC, Tony Bennett, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan) who otherwise might not reach that wide of a mainstream audience.

But you're right, MTV isn't what it used to be, even when TRL was popular. Nickelodeon brought back some of its 90s shows for a block called The 90s Are All That, but they don't air it on Nickelodeon, they air it on TeenNick. MTV brought back Headbanger's Ball and Celebrity Death Match, but on MTV2. Cartoon Network brought back Toonami, but on Adult Swim. See where I'm going with this? They could maybe revive TRL on MTV, MTV2, VH1, or VH1 Classic, or another channel altogether.

they did revive TRL for one episode tho last year

Written By: the2001 on 05/23/15 at 9:43 pm

TRL was revived but only for one episode (but this can give u an idea of what i would be like)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O0psTicGt0

Check for new replies or respond here...