inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hello Kitty movie planned

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/15 at 6:36 am

If Angry Birds can have a movie, why not Hello Kitty?

The famous feline, originally drawn by designer Yuko Shimizu to appeal to kindergarten children, is being propelled towards the cinema by its owners Sanrio.

The project is expected to cost $162m to $242m (£104 to £155m) - including marketing costs - and is due in cinemas in 2019.

Sanrio already makes $759m (£488m) from the character each year. But did you know she's not a cat? She's supposed to be a school girl named Kitty White, who was born in the London suburbs.

Subject: Re: Hello Kitty movie planned

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/20 at 2:26 pm

Just seen a guest viewing this...

In early 2019, it was revealed that New Line Cinema will be teaming up alongside Sanrio and Flynn Picture Company for an “English language film based on the venerable kid brand.

As far as I can see, so far this film had never materlalised.

Subject: Re: Hello Kitty movie planned

Written By: karen on 08/08/20 at 9:05 am

Just seen a guest viewing this...

In early 2019, it was revealed that New Line Cinema will be teaming up alongside Sanrio and Flynn Picture Company for an “English language film based on the venerable kid brand.

As far as I can see, so far this film had never materlalised.

Found this from March this year, but still essentially the same story - watch this space...

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/news/hello-kitty-is-getting-a-movie/

Edited to add.

The article I found came out exactly one year after the initial announcement Philip mentioned

Check for new replies or respond here...