inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: so what do you think of the mid-2010s so far...

Written By: sonic2005 on 07/08/15 at 10:04 am

we're already at the mid point of 2015 next year will be the last year of the mid 2010s but how is it so far to you guys notice any difference from the early 10s??

Subject: Re: so what do you think of the mid-2010s so far...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/15 at 10:19 am

I am enjoying the  mid-2010s!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/08/15 at 10:19 am

Pop culturally dull, except a few exceptions like Jurassic World, at least in my opinion.

Also, economically, things are going badly worldwide, including the US. I think that by the late 10s there will be another economic crash a la 2008 style.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/15 at 10:26 am

Pop culturally dull, except a few exceptions like Jurassic World, at least in my opinion.

Also, economically, things are going badly worldwide, including the US. I think that by the late 10s there will be another economic crash a la 2008 style.
Jurassic World is not the best of film seen, Mad Max: Fury Road is better.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/08/15 at 10:27 am

Jurassic World is not the best of film seen, Mad Max: Fury Road is better.

I will take note and watch it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/15 at 10:30 am

I will take note and watch it.
It is action at a fast pace all the way through.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/08/15 at 10:42 am

It is action at a fast pace all the way through.

Hopefully, there is a good story?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/15 at 10:43 am

Hopefully, there is a good story?  ???
The scenario is of a simple factor from getting from A to B.

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/08/15 at 11:40 am

Pop culturally, it's better than the  mid 2000's–early 2010's. However, it could be way better. I want electronic music to disappear completely!

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/08/15 at 11:40 am

It's sensitive in the U.S. and Canada, but it's not straight up bad. Europe and China are doing horrible though. Read these two:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB12204705985553474620604581093873304123678
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jun/16/government-debt-threatens-to-send-us-economy-into-/?page=all
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/slow-canadian-economy-could-be-spurred-by-u-s-joe-oliver-says-1.3141461

For you to think that we'll enter another recession akin to 2008 is pretty pessimistic, don't you think?

Written By: Howard on 07/08/15 at 1:12 pm

I am enjoying the  mid-2010s!

same here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/15 at 1:15 pm

Any year or decade is good when you are blessed with God's Gracious Gift of being alive.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/08/15 at 1:50 pm

It's sensitive in the U.S. and Canada, but it's not straight up bad. Europe and China are doing horrible though. Read these two:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB12204705985553474620604581093873304123678
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jun/16/government-debt-threatens-to-send-us-economy-into-/?page=all
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/slow-canadian-economy-could-be-spurred-by-u-s-joe-oliver-says-1.3141461

For you to think that we'll enter another recession akin to 2008 is pretty pessimistic, don't you think?

I don't know enough about economics or business, or even business around the world, to make ANY assumptions, but I am nervous.

Don't get me wrong, I DO hope that there is no new recession/depression/crash/whatever, but it wouldn't surprised me if there is another one, especially by 2018. Pray, or wish (if you're an atheist) for everyone around the world!  8)  8)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/08/15 at 2:01 pm

Pop culturally, it's better than the  mid 2000's–early 2010's. However, it could be way better. I want electronic music to disappear completely!

I disagree with it being better than the mid 00s and, but yes it's better than the very late 00s and early 10s, that's for sure!!

Written By: #Infinity on 07/08/15 at 7:52 pm

I really haven't cared for the mid-2010s at all.  It doesn't feel like everyday technology has seen many significant milestones since the beginning of the decade, and I've started to really wish most social media didn't exist, due to the depressing effects it has on my psyche.  Apple products have seemingly jumped the shark, as newer MacBooks won't run PowerPC applications, while the iPhone has gotten really buggy for some reason, at least for me.  If only hoverboards somehow went on sale, then I might become excited in technology again.

Music had an upswing in 2009-2011, but after that has, for the most part, become appallingly bland and synthetic.  I enjoyed a few songs made in 2013, but little else has really sparked my imagination.  I miss the 80s, 90s, and now even the early 2000s for music.  Nowadays, it's all about cookie cutter electropop and trap on the Top 40 charts, and dull indie throughout music enthusiast communities.

The video game industry is in its eighth generation, but the Wii U has so far proven to be a very underwhelming console, while the most popular titles on XBOX One and PS4 don't interest me in the least.  I had my hopes for The Sims 4, but it turned out to be atrociously half-assed, with an unintuitive interface and seemingly less total content than even the first game in the series.  I miss the 90s and 2000s, when gaming was more diverse and still breaking boundaries, rather than just serving what the most established fans want.

I have overall mixed feelings about the film industry.  While I have seen a few solid titles, the best being Spike Jonze's Her, I think the Marvel Cinematic Universe is highly overrated (too many archetypal superheroes, not enough diversity to give them fresh backstories), while comedies just seem very hipster or PC.  Of the television I've watched, Orange Is the New Black is really overrated, as it just puts me in an uncomfortable mood, and now I wish Breaking Bad was still on the air.

The overall vibe of the mid-2010s has been pretty unsatisfying, as well.  Thanks to technology, networking, activism, etc., there's been more discussion over civil rights issues than ever before, but while at first I was pleased that meaningful matters were finally being brought under greater scrutiny, I've found that the general attitudes, at least in my generation (I'm a millennial), have been turning increasingly preachy and one-sided.  I don't disagree with the end goals of my culture-pushing peers, I just feel as though most of these discussions are driven by groupthink, not individualism, and that any level of nuance to your perspective is likely to get you into trouble.  In 2009, I thought the world of the future would be a utopia of love and acceptance, but instead it seems to be transforming into a labyrinth of alienation and conformity.

While for the most part, I don't consider the mid-2010s radically different from 2009 or 2010 (when 2010s culture first truly took off), my own feelings about the 2010s decade as a whole have drastically worsened since the middle phase arrived.  Much of this is due to personal issues of mine, which have badly exposed all the negatives of this era to me over the past few years, but even so, I think popular culture has grown incredibly shallow and is in need of some sort of rejuvenation.  Growing up a fan of Back to the Future, I would have hoped 2015 would be a lot more awesome that it actually is - a dull rehash of the previous several years, rather than a colorful progression of them.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 07/09/15 at 10:52 am

It's not too bad.

Musically, that period between 2004-2007 was probably the worst ever, imo.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/09/15 at 8:02 pm

Greece just had a recent one I believe and it has been reported that China has some stocks that has crash. Plus, the New York Stock Exchange a couple days ago just suspended trading for some reason. There actually could possibly be an economic crash later this year. But it seems like that the last 7 years twice there's been major cultural shifts. After September 2001 A.K.A. 9/11 there was a huge cultural shift, the late 90's culture had died off and we were in the true early 2000's culture. 7 years later around late 2008 there was a Stock Market Crash and after that it truly felt like the core 2000's was over and technology started getting more advanced taking over our lives. Now 7 years later here in 2015, there's been crazy stuff going on lately like the Church Massacre in Charleston, SC, the controversy with the Confederate Flag with Gay Marriage being legalized right around the same time, which brings out racism issues, the rise of ISIS, and now we are getting towards the later part of this year now. Could there be another huge cultural shift around late 2015 of this year?

Written By: mqg96 on 07/09/15 at 8:12 pm

It's not too bad.

Yeah I agree, the music at the time was really weak, but everything else like some of the GOOD sitcoms still on TV and the VIDEO GAMES at the time were epic during that era. I feel like 2004-2007 was the last time in our lives before social media websites and another stuff like Youtube and much more started getting glued to our eyes much more. I still think that the early 2000's (2000-2003) were better culturally for being a kid, but I enjoyed the mid-2000's (2004-2006) in many ways as well.

I'm already getting nostalgic for the early 2010's through and the sports I did and watched talking with my friends, the movies that came out in the early 2010's like Avengers, Tangled, Ted, 21 Jump Street, Toy Story 3, Argo, etc. the hangouts I did with my friends throughout high school along with the epic summers vacations I had when I was still under my parents. The mid-2010's have been boring for me so far, now I have to work a job and manage my own money on a budget, being in college has been the only thing great about it for me.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/09/15 at 8:20 pm

Greece just had a recent one I believe and it has been reported that China has some stocks that has crash. Plus, the New York Stock Exchange a couple days ago just suspended trading for some reason. There actually could possibly be an economic crash later this year. But it seems like that the last 7 years twice there's been major cultural shifts. After September 2001 A.K.A. 9/11 there was a huge cultural shift, the late 90's culture had died off and we were in the true early 2000's culture. 7 years later around late 2008 there was a Stock Market Crash and after that it truly felt like the core 2000's was over and technology started getting more advanced taking over our lives. Now 7 years later here in 2015, there's been crazy stuff going on lately like the Church Massacre in Charleston, SC, the controversy with the Confederate Flag with Gay Marriage being legalized right around the same time, which brings out racism issues, and now we are getting towards the later part of this year now. Could there be another huge cultural shift around late 2015 of this year?

VERY interesting mpg!!! I wonder as well???!! It sure does feel like it!!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/09/15 at 8:22 pm

Yeah I agree, the music at the time was really weak, but everything else like some of the GOOD sitcoms still on TV and the VIDEO GAMES at the time were epic during that era. I feel like 2004-2007 was the last time in our lives before social media websites and another stuff like Youtube and much more started getting glued to our eyes much more. I still think that the early 2000's (2000-2003) were better culturally for being a kid, but I enjoyed the mid-2000's (2004-2006) in many ways as well.

I'm already getting nostalgic for the early 2010's through and the sports I did and watched talking with my friends, the movies that came out in the early 2010's like Avengers, Tangled, Ted, 21 Jump Street, Toy Story 3, Argo, etc. the hangouts I did with my friends throughout high school along with the epic summers vacations I had when I was still under my parents. The mid-2010's have been boring for me so far, now I have to work a job and manage my own money on a budget, being in college has been the only thing great about it for me.

The mid 2000s were great times being a big kid back then (9-11)!! Now the mid 10s being a young adult, entering my 20s; has the complete opposite feeling!! I am talking on a lot more responsibility just like you and being in college is pretty sweet though!!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/09/15 at 8:23 pm

So do the rest of you guys think there will be another cultural shift soon?

Written By: #Infinity on 07/10/15 at 12:18 am

Not a huge one, at least for a while.  Probably sometime after the next presidential election, we'll enter the late cultural 2010s and have a slightly different atmosphere, but I hardly sense the overall world of 2009 to present disappearing anytime soon.

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/10/15 at 12:28 am

Not a huge one, at least for a while.  Probably sometime after the next presidential election, we'll enter the late cultural 2010s and have a slightly different atmosphere, but I hardly sense the overall world of 2009 to present disappearing anytime soon.

Why do you always think this? It's like you want the current world to keep going. It's like you want electronic music to remain cool. It's like you want this society of polarization and intolerance to remain. It's like you want things to remain the same. That itself makes for a pretty pessimistic future, huh?

With the way you think the civilized world will be destroyed before things change.

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/10/15 at 12:31 am

Who knows man, who knows.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/10/15 at 4:53 am

Why do you always think this? It's like you want the current world to keep going. It's like you want electronic music to remain cool. It's like you want this society of polarization and intolerance to remain. It's like you want things to remain the same. That itself makes for a pretty pessimistic future, huh?

With the way you think the civilized world will be destroyed before things change.

Honestly, I feel totally opposite.  I haven't cared for this decade's culture at all, at least not since 2012 or so.  I already elaborated everything I dislike about the 2010s in another thread, so I'll just link it here for your reference.  http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=51862.msg3262746#msg3262746

I say the world isn't going to change soon because quite frankly, it feels like we're very much still in the core phase of the 2010s decade.  2015 is almost identical to 2013 on a technological level, so there isn't really a foundation for the global landscape to drastically evolve within the course of a few years.  You could definitely predict what was on the horizon in 2007, when YouTube and social media were on the rise, or in 1998, when the dot com boom pointed to how important the Internet would be in the coming century.  The most that can be said for this year's milestones versus 2013's would be marginal updates to tablet devices, a few new car models, some new apps, and a slightly larger variety of eighth generation video games.  Nothing really has arrived in years that would revolutionize the mechanics of society.  Even if, say, we got functional hoverboards and flying cars by October this year, it would still take several years for them to develop as significant enough industries to overshadow their technological predecessors, as is the case with every groundbreaking innovation.  2015 pretty much just has everything that existed in 2010, albeit with certain services and devices being more or less popular than before, so I highly doubt that our everyday way of life will be much different at all in 2017 or even 2018.

On top of technology becoming rather stagnant in recent years, the general trends of the day are predominantly just continuations of what existed a few years ago.  EDM and trap are still the dominant forms of music in the Top 40, and indie still reigns supreme from the alternative scene.  Netflix series like Orange is the New Black and House of Cards are still popular, as they were in 2013, and civil rights issues are still dominating national headlines.  2010s fashion is in its prime, and the ninth generation of video gaming certainly isn't arriving anytime soon.  The only thing I could possibly predict that could drastically change the social climate within a matter of a few years would be if ISIS or some other foreign threat managed to attack US soil, forcing us into war, but even then, I find the possibility of another 9/11 pretty unlikely, considering the precautions made against terrorist threats in the past fourteen years.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/10/15 at 8:13 am

I really haven't cared for the mid-2010s at all.  It doesn't feel like everyday technology has seen many significant milestones since the beginning of the decade, and I've started to really wish most social media didn't exist, due to the depressing effects it has on my psyche.  Apple products have seemingly jumped the shark, as newer MacBooks won't run PowerPC applications, while the iPhone has gotten really buggy for some reason, at least for me.  If only hoverboards somehow went on sale, then I might become excited in technology again.

Music had an upswing in 2009-2011, but after that has, for the most part, become appallingly bland and synthetic.  I enjoyed a few songs made in 2013, but little else has really sparked my imagination.  I miss the 80s, 90s, and now even the early 2000s for music.  Nowadays, it's all about cookie cutter electropop and trap on the Top 40 charts, and dull indie throughout music enthusiast communities

I think that 2010 has been the best year for music of this decade by far. Just look back at those billboard lists (although some I think is ordered wrong), and some might disagree but I think 2010 was the greatest year in music we had in years leading up to that point, and we haven't had a really great year for music ever since. The music coming out now since like 2012 or 2013 has been this same type of repetitive electro music that I could care less about. You have good ones here and there but just not enough. It's still the same type of tune and sound you here all over the radio stations. 2010-2012 when it comes to sports, music, and movies were really good, however, 2013 up to now has been hit or miss for me.

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/10/15 at 12:17 pm

The only thing I could possibly predict that could drastically change the social climate within a matter of a few years would be if ISIS or some other foreign threat managed to attack US soil, forcing us into war, but even then, I find the possibility of another 9/11 pretty unlikely, considering the precautions made against terrorist threats in the past fourteen years.

I think the 2016 Presidential Election would be where the social climate would change. bchris02 even made a thread about it! I would even say there's always a big change of some sorts in the year of a Presidential Election. Every four years is pretty realistic.

Written By: Howard on 07/10/15 at 2:16 pm

What do you mean by another cultural shift?

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/10/15 at 3:00 pm

2010-2012 when it comes to sports, music, and movies were really good, however, 2013 up to now has been hit or miss for me.

Really? Regarding music, I think 2010 and 2011 were okay. 2012 was awful, even back when it was happening, it was the worst year of the 2010s (it really can only go upwards from there). 2013 was marginally better, just slightly! 2014 was an improvement, although I still disliked the majority of songs (I liked a little over 40 Top 40 songs from that year). 2015 has been just a 2014 loophole, both in music quality and trends. That might change, as the quantity of songs that I like is quickly reaching the same amount that I liked last year, and we're only in July. The last five months might bring us a surprise. Who knows!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/10/15 at 6:10 pm

What do you mean by another cultural shift?

I mean the next BIG change in pop culture; music, politics, movies, tv, gaming ect.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/11/15 at 1:02 am

I think the 2016 Presidential Election would be where the social climate would change. bchris02 even made a thread about it! I would even say there's always a big change of some sorts in the year of a Presidential Election. Every four years is pretty realistic.

I think the 2016 Presidential Election will definitely ignite at least some change, but it just doesn't seem like there's going to be nearly as much anticipation for this season as there was for the 2008 Election, which occurred on the dawn of 2010s culture.  Whoever serves the next presidential term will probably preside over a period that's fundamentally very similar to 2013 to present, but which may or may not hint at an imminent cultural revolution, depending on new technology and world events.

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/11/15 at 3:09 am

I think the 2016 Presidential Election will definitely ignite at least some change, but it just doesn't seem like there's going to be nearly as much anticipation for this season as there was for the 2008 Election, which occurred on the dawn of 2010s culture.

We have way over a year before the Election happens. The closer we get, the more exciting things become. This will be my first Presidential Election. I think 2008 was more the dawn of late 2000's culture. Your statement is kind of like saying the 2012 Preidential Election was the beginning of mid 2010's culture, when in reality 2012-2015 feels more like true early 2010's culture.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/11/15 at 9:33 am

We have way over a year before the Election happens. The closer we get, the more exciting things become. This will be my first Presidential Election.

There's always a lot of excitement before a presidential election, but I don't really sense that there's going to be nearly as much of a blunt need for "Change" in the coming election, so much as a continuation of policies already started under Obama, but which have yet to realize their full potential.  Aside from right-wing extremists, most of America doesn't really seem eager for a total reversal of things like civil rights movements, gun control discussion, working through the wealth gap, etc.  While Obama has certainly passed his prime, and I don't think a Republican victory is entirely unlikely, there isn't nearly the same level of presidential backlash now as there was in July 2007, leading up to the next election.

I think 2008 was more the dawn of late 2000's culture. Your statement is kind of like saying the 2012 Preidential Election was the beginning of mid 2010's culture, when in reality 2012-2015 feels more like true early 2010's culture.

Care to elaborate?  I already responded to your post about 2009 being the quintessential year of the 2000s and what not, but now I don't see where you're going with 2012-2015 being "true early 2010s' culture."  Regardless of the mild cultural shifts between 2009-2012 and 2013 to present, I fail to really understand the argument that the former period is much more like 2006-2008 than the latter.  Do you really think the year 2011 or even 2010 is much more typically 00s than 2010s?  Even if some of what we consider 2010s culture had yet to really peak at that point, I think it's safe to say that the majority of culture that defined 2000-2008 was truly obsolete in 2010 and 2011, and that the foundations for what we have now were very much starting to blossom.

The 2000s were defined, musically, by pop-punk, post-grunge, hardcore and bling/snap rap, nu-metal, and producers like Timbaland and Lil Jon.  Every last one of those things was barely existent on the pop charts by 2010, or certainly at least 2011.  2010/2011 was the first time EDM was a ubiquitous presence in the mainstream, with releases like Katy Perry's Teenage Dream, LMFAO's Sorry for Party Rocking, Ke$ha's Animal, Lady Gaga's Born This Way, etc.  2000s heartthrob Usher was now recording EDM himself, despite having already established himself as an r&b artist for over a decade.  Timbaland's Shock Value II was a commercial flop, aside from the single that featured Katy Perry.  Traditional 2000s guitar rock was abruptly replaced by indie and electro-rock.  You could easily compare Orianthi's According to You to something Avril Lavigne would record in 2002, or Daughtry's Life After You to a typical Nickelback song from 2001.  However, you can't really equate Phoenix's 1901 or Neon Trees' Animal to anything that dominated mainstream radio for the vast majority of the 2000s decade.

In the world of film, 2010 arrived shortly after the worldwide success of Avatar, which helped usher in the latest 3D trend that was hardly a thing in the 2000s.  Some of the defining movies of the year were the mind-bending Inception, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, whose success helped spark to live action fantasy blockbuster fad still going on now; Tangled, the movie that helped put Disney back on the map of competitive animated studios and which set the stage for Frozen; and Easy A, a very 2010s high school comedy starring Emma Stone.  2011 expanded upon the 2010s foundation further, thanks to Captain America, X-Men First Class, and Thor, which, along with the Iron Man films before them, set the stage for the Marvel Cinematic Universe that would define 2010s action/superhero blockbusters.

Video gaming is a bit more up in the air, due to the fact that the seventh generation of video gaming truly began in 2006 and was still relevant through 2013, but there were still a fair amount of things that made 2010/2011 feel closer to now than the late 2000s.  The most obvious, of course, was the rising popularity of mobile games like Plants vs. Zombies, Angry Birds, and the like.  This dramatically transformed the nature of the gaming market for casual consumers, a lot moreso than the advent of the eighth generation of video games, which, when you get down to it, offered few new features aside from better graphics, plus a few gimmicks like the Wii U's Gamepad.  And that brings me to another point - during the first few years of the seventh generation of gaming (2006-2008), Nintendo was very much in the lead with the Wii, but this started to change a lot in 2009-2011, when the Wii ran out of new landmark titles (it had NSMB Wii in 2009 and Donkey Kong Country Returns in 2010, but certainly nothing on the level of Wii Sports, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, or Mario Kart Wii), and the PS3 and XBOX 360 became more affordable and had a more diverse selection of games.  In this general sense, not much has changed since the start of the decade; Sony and Microsoft are still the main two contenders, while Nintendo continues to run a distant third, in spite of the Wii U slowly becoming more popular.

As for other global trends, people were finally started to take note of tablet devices in 2010 and 2011, while social media was the primary launching pad for the majority of world events, like the Arab Spring, the gay marriage movement, and Occupy Wall Street.  Everything now seemed to be done via texting or posting on social media.  HD was very much standard in television, and Netflix was starting to really catch on.

My point with all of this is not that 2010/2011 (as well as 2009) were completely identical to today, but that they felt far more like the lead-in to the culture we have now than a winding down of trends that defined the 2000s, hence why I consider the years part of the early 2010s and not the late 2000s.  Those old trends, for the most part, were already dead by the start of the decade, or at the very least not prominent enough to affect the feel of the world.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/11/15 at 3:47 pm

There's always a lot of excitement before a presidential election, but I don't really sense that there's going to be nearly as much of a blunt need for "Change" in the coming election, so much as a continuation of policies already started under Obama, but which have yet to realize their full potential.  Aside from right-wing extremists, most of America doesn't really seem eager for a total reversal of things like civil rights movements, gun control discussion, working through the wealth gap, etc.  While Obama has certainly passed his prime, and I don't think a Republican victory is entirely unlikely, there isn't nearly the same level of presidential backlash now as there was in July 2007, leading up to the next election.

Care to elaborate?  I already responded to your post about 2009 being the quintessential year of the 2000s and what not, but now I don't see where you're going with 2012-2015 being "true early 2010s' culture."  Regardless of the mild cultural shifts between 2009-2012 and 2013 to present, I fail to really understand the argument that the former period is much more like 2006-2008 than the latter.  Do you really think the year 2011 or even 2010 is much more typically 00s than 2010s?  Even if some of what we consider 2010s culture had yet to really peak at that point, I think it's safe to say that the majority of culture that defined 2000-2008 was truly obsolete in 2010 and 2011, and that the foundations for what we have now were very much starting to blossom.

The 2000s were defined, musically, by pop-punk, post-grunge, hardcore and bling/snap rap, nu-metal, and producers like Timbaland and Lil Jon.  Every last one of those things was barely existent on the pop charts by 2010, or certainly at least 2011.  2010/2011 was the first time EDM was a ubiquitous presence in the mainstream, with releases like Katy Perry's Teenage Dream, LMFAO's Sorry for Party Rocking, Ke$ha's Animal, Lady Gaga's Born This Way, etc.  2000s heartthrob Usher was now recording EDM himself, despite having already established himself as an r&b artist for over a decade.  Timbaland's Shock Value II was a commercial flop, aside from the single that featured Katy Perry.  Traditional 2000s guitar rock was abruptly replaced by indie and electro-rock.  You could easily compare Orianthi's According to You to something Avril Lavigne would record in 2002, or Daughtry's Life After You to a typical Nickelback song from 2001.  However, you can't really equate Phoenix's 1901 or Neon Trees' Animal to anything that dominated mainstream radio for the vast majority of the 2000s decade.

In the world of film, 2010 arrived shortly after the worldwide success of Avatar, which helped usher in the latest 3D trend that was hardly a thing in the 2000s.  Some of the defining movies of the year were the mind-bending Inception, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, whose success helped spark to live action fantasy blockbuster fad still going on now; Tangled, the movie that helped put Disney back on the map of competitive animated studios and which set the stage for Frozen; and Easy A, a very 2010s high school comedy starring Emma Stone.  2011 expanded upon the 2010s foundation further, thanks to Captain America, X-Men First Class, and Thor, which, along with the Iron Man films before them, set the stage for the Marvel Cinematic Universe that would define 2010s action/superhero blockbusters.

Video gaming is a bit more up in the air, due to the fact that the seventh generation of video gaming truly began in 2006 and was still relevant through 2013, but there were still a fair amount of things that made 2010/2011 feel closer to now than the late 2000s.  The most obvious, of course, was the rising popularity of mobile games like Plants vs. Zombies, Angry Birds, and the like.  This dramatically transformed the nature of the gaming market for casual consumers, a lot moreso than the advent of the eighth generation of video games, which, when you get down to it, offered few new features aside from better graphics, plus a few gimmicks like the Wii U's Gamepad.  And that brings me to another point - during the first few years of the seventh generation of gaming (2006-2008), Nintendo was very much in the lead with the Wii, but this started to change a lot in 2009-2011, when the Wii ran out of new landmark titles (it had NSMB Wii in 2009 and Donkey Kong Country Returns in 2010, but certainly nothing on the level of Wii Sports, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, or Mario Kart Wii), and the PS3 and XBOX 360 became more affordable and had a more diverse selection of games.  In this general sense, not much has changed since the start of the decade; Sony and Microsoft are still the main two contenders, while Nintendo continues to run a distant third, in spite of the Wii U slowly becoming more popular.

As for other global trends, people were finally started to take note of tablet devices in 2010 and 2011, while social media was the primary launching pad for the majority of world events, like the Arab Spring, the gay marriage movement, and Occupy Wall Street.  Everything now seemed to be done via texting or posting on social media.  HD was very much standard in television, and Netflix was starting to really catch on.

My point with all of this is not that 2010/2011 (as well as 2009) were completely identical to today, but that they felt far more like the lead-in to the culture we have now than a winding down of trends that defined the 2000s, hence why I consider the years part of the early 2010s and not the late 2000s.  Those old trends, for the most part, were already dead by the start of the decade, or at the very least not prominent enough to affect the feel of the world.

Yes 2010 and 2011 are DEFINITELY early 10s years!!! BTW, Nintendo is completely out of touch, they are going to have to evolve to survive against Microsoft and Sony! I'm kind of disappointed in the eight generation! I don't want to see Nintendo fail!! It seems like Nintendo is the only company that cares about gaming! I hope that the new nx is going to be good! It just feels like Sony and Microsoft only care about are making entertainment systems!!

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/11/15 at 5:18 pm

Yes 2010 and 2011 are DEFINITELY early 10s years!!! BTW, Nintendo is completely out of touch, they are going to have to evolve to survive against Microsoft and Sony! I'm kind of disappointed in the eight generation! I don't want to see Nintendo fail!! It seems like Nintendo is the only company that cares about gaming! I hope that the new nx is going to be good! It just feels like Sony and Microsoft only care about are making entertainment systems!!

What do you mean by out of touch?

Written By: Howard on 07/11/15 at 5:59 pm

That's what I'm thinking too, How is Nintendo out of touch, they're making products that appeal to the younger audience.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/11/15 at 6:09 pm

They have not evolved with the times, there is still no online and the lack of third party

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/11/15 at 6:14 pm

That's what I'm thinking too, How is Nintendo out of touch, they're making products that appeal to the younger audience.

Everybody on YouTube including angry joe thinks there out of touch!

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/11/15 at 8:07 pm

There wasn't much excitement for the 2008 election in 2007 either. It didn't start to truly ramp up until the spring of '08. I remember seeing a lot of the news at that point. I see a lot of parallels between the 2006 Midterm elections and the 2014 Midterm elections. You make it seem like America wants gun control, when really they just want more guns the more they're threatened to be taken away. Remember the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting? I remember it clear as day.

Look, it's ridiculous to call 2009 "2010's", because the 2010's didn't even exist yet!! No decade defines itself by it's early years. It is always, always the middle and later years. No one looks at 1991 or even 1993 and thinks "So '90s!", they think "Is this '80s?" only to have a look of shock and disbelief when I tell them it's from the '90s. In 2020, who's to say that the early 2010's will look "2010's" at all? 2020 is five years from now. We have more than enough time for the 2010s to evolve into something completely unrecognizable. And who knows when it will happen?

The 2000s were defined, musically, by pop-punk, post-grunge, hardcore and bling/snap rap, nu-metal, and producers like Timbaland and Lil Jon.  Every last one of those things was barely existent on the pop charts by 2010, or certainly at least 2011. You could easily compare Orianthi's According to You to something Avril Lavigne would record in 2002, or Daughtry's Life After You to a typical Nickelback song from 2001.  However, you can't really equate Phoenix's 1901 or Neon Trees' Animal to anything that dominated mainstream radio for the vast majority of the 2000s decade.

Pop-punk was an early 2000's trend. It was replaced by emo-pop in the mid 2000's. Hardcore hip-hop was '90s, not '00s. Nu-metal didn't make it past 2003. Linkin Park's "Numb" was the last nu-metal hit before it was replaced by emo. Orianthi sounded way more like Paramore than Avril, I'd also say she's emo. Just look at her appearance from that time! It was very mid-late '00s. I have nothing to day about Daughtry, because Chris's voice sounds nothing like Eddie Vedder (whom every successful post-grunge band tried to copy such as Lifehouse). Daughtry isn't that good anyway.

Nobody talks about Avatar anymore. I completely forgot it even existed until you mentioned it. Inception never really started any trends, at least not mainstream ones. Alice in Wonderland and Tangled definitely did though. Easy A is totally 2000's. I just watched it last week and it didn't feel the same as today at all. The humor, the clothes, the catchphrases (no one says harlot, trollop, and floozy anymore!!), the camera style, it just doesn't fit in with 2015. Heck, it's much more similar to Not Another Teen Movie than it is to The Duff. The Duff really is a 2010's teen film. However, teen films and television don't really exist as a major force in the 2010's. Not in the same way that they did in the 1990s.

Video gaming is a bit more up in the air, due to the fact that the seventh generation of video gaming truly began in 2006 and was still relevant through 2013, but there were still a fair amount of things that made 2010/2011 feel closer to now than the late 2000s.  The most obvious, of course, was the rising popularity of mobile games like Plants vs. Zombies, Angry Birds, and the like.

As surprising as this sounds, no one plays Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies anymore. The only people that do now are 35+ and little kids.

I agree with this.

As I have said before, I view every calendar year as having cultural similarities with years that precede it and succeed it by four years. If a song is four years apart or less from another year, then it is still the same era, regardless of how different they may be. If a song is five years apart or more from another year, then it is a different era, regardless of how similar they may be. This means that 2007 is the same era as 2011, and 2011 is the same era as 2015. However, 2007 is a different era from 2012, and 2010 is a different era from 2015.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/12/15 at 2:06 am

There wasn't much excitement for the 2008 election in 2007 either. It didn't start to truly ramp up until the spring of '08. I remember seeing a lot of the news at that point. I see a lot of parallels between the 2006 Midterm elections and the 2014 Midterm elections. You make it seem like America wants gun control, when really they just want more guns the more they're threatened to be taken away. Remember the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting? I remember it clear as day.

The 2008 election was fueled, firstly, by the overwhelming hatred for George Bush towards the end of his administration, and secondly, by the economy, which was first making true signs of ailment in 2007 and which went to hell in September with the Lehman Bros. bailout and whatnot.  Obama's approval rating, on the other hand, has improved as of late.

Look, it's ridiculous to call 2009 "2010's", because the 2010's didn't even exist yet!! No decade defines itself by it's early years. It is always, always the middle and later years.

That's not necessarily always the case, it just happens to have been the norm for most of the past several decades.  A lot of people seem to believe the 50s truly began around 1947, since World War II was already long over, the silent generation was moving to the suburbs, and the international focus was primarily on battling communism and upholding traditional American morals.  Even though things such as rock & roll, Marilyn Monroe, and Elvis wouldn't pop up until about 1955, the overall social climate, and even most of the fashions, were already very connected to 50s culture as a whole.  It doesn't matter that the 50s decade hadn't technically arrived yet in 1947; it was still a drastically different era for the entire world than 1941-1945, when World War II was going on.

As for your point about decade culture always being defined by middle and later years, I'm not so sure.  I think it's pretty subjective, depending on what you emphasize, but I think there have been at least some decades which peaked mostly during their earlier years and which were quickly losing influence towards the end.  The 1930s' quintessential year, for example, was probably 1933, for a variety of reasons.  It was during the peak of the Great Depression, as well as the year Franklin D. Roosevelt was sworn into office, not to mention it took no time at all for the New Deal to really take off.  Adolf Hitler was sworn in as chancellor of Nazi Germany, easily the defining moment of the rise of fascism that would later lead into World War II.  1930s cinema was defined by the first wave of talkies, which had their roots in 1927 with the Jazz Singer, but which truly blossomed in the early 30s, when they overtook the silent films of the 20s completely.  The early 30s produced groundbreaking horror classics like Dracula and Frankenstein, but the shining moment was definitely King Kong, which had the equivalent impact on cinema for its time that Jurassic Park would 60 years later.  By the later part of the 30s, however, a lot of new stuff was coming in that was starting to erode the influence of the more definitive years of the decade.  The end of 1937 produced Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, which revolutionized animation and immediately kicked off the Disney Golden Age, which was primarily connected to the early 40s.  1939 was even more significant, as that was when The Wizard of Oz came out, launching Judy Garland into fame and revolutionizing the family film for the coming generation; it was also when Stagecoach got released, kickstarting America's obsession with John Wayne westerns.  Fashion was also starting to change a lot by about 1938, as female hairstyles were starting to much more closely resemble the typical 40s look than the short, wavy look that defined the 30s.  In Europe, Hitler invaded Poland in September 1939, officially kicking off World War II, even if the Americans wouldn't enter the fray until after Pearl Harbor.

Not even all of the definitive trends of the 90s were still really present during the later years of the decade.  Grunge and gangsta rap were both dead by early 1997, the fourth generation of video gaming was over, Seinfeld ended in 1998, while the Simpsons went downhill at the same time.  Teen pop and AOL don't necessarily define the 90s more than grunge, Jurassic Park, and Sonic the Hedgehog simply because they defined the late part of the decade instead of the early part.

No one looks at 1991 or even 1993 and thinks "So '90s!", they think "Is this '80s?" only to have a look of shock and disbelief when I tell them it's from the '90s. In 2020, who's to say that the early 2010's will look "2010's" at all? 2020 is five years from now. We have more than enough time for the 2010s to evolve into something completely unrecognizable. And who knows when it will happen?

1993 was plenty 90s.  Nirvana was still extremely popular at the time, hair metal was gone, gangsta rap and 90s-style pop were the norm, and Jurassic Park was the biggest film at the time.  Even 1991 had a fair amount of culture that's pretty quintessentially 90s, like Nirvana's Nevermind, Sonic the Hedgehog, the Super Nintendo, and Beauty and the Beast.  I can't possibly imagine someone confusing any of those things for 80s culture.

And I've already elaborated on this before, but even though we still have four and a half more years left of the calendar decade, it's already pretty safe to say it's too late for the 2010s to evolve into something completely unrecognizable, at least soon enough that the final few years end up defining the entire decade.  Yes, the 60s were primarily defined by their last few years, but that's because the first few years were just a continuation of the post-War suburbanization era that began around 1947, while the middle years planted the true seeds of change that would still take a few years to bloom.  2015 is really not that different from 2010 or even 2009; I really feel you're exaggerating the difference between the years based on your personal idea of when a decade is supposed to start.  2015 and 2010 both have EDM, indie, and trap as the dominant music forms; Obama as president, civil rights issues being serious deals, and social media driving the majority of our daily activities.  It's certainly not the same case as 1965 vs. 1960, in which the former had the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Bob Dylan, Vietnam, hippies, LBJ's Great Society, and big, rounded hair, whereas 1960 had things like The Twist, Eisenhower as president, little 60s fashion, and strictly 50s pop stars on the charts, the 60s acts still pretty much nonexistent.

Pop-punk was an early 2000's trend. It was replaced by emo-pop in the mid 2000's. Hardcore hip-hop was '90s, not '00s. Nu-metal didn't make it past 2003. Linkin Park's "Numb" was the last nu-metal hit before it was replaced by emo. Orianthi sounded way more like Paramore than Avril, I'd also say she's emo. Just look at her appearance from that time! It was very mid-late '00s. I have nothing to day about Daughtry, because Chris's voice sounds nothing like Eddie Vedder (whom every successful post-grunge band tried to copy such as Lifehouse). Daughtry isn't that good anyway.

Pop punk and emo, whatever the difference, are pretty much the same style of music, the latter just being a thematic expansion of the former.  If Avril's not enough of a comparison, I'd at least compare Orianthi to Kelly Clarkson; According to You has pretty much the same general feel as Since You've Been Gone.

Hip hop was still very much built upon a very macho image throughout the 2000s.  Commercial or not, artists like 50 Cent, Lil Jon, Ja Rule, and Lil Wayne were all about celebrating their manliness and power.  The whole general mindset of hip hop was pretty much the same since 1997 and wouldn't start to evolve until the end of the decade.

Nu-metal certainly didn't die after Linkin Park's Numb.  2005 was also a significant year for the genre, thanks to System of a Down's Mesmerize and Hypnotize albums, as well as Avenged Sevenfold's City of the Damned.  Bands like Staind, Disturbed, Linkin Park, and the aforementioned Avenged Sevenfold continued to garner success for the rest of the decade.

Chris Daughtry wasn't mimicking Eddie Vedder, but his band was modeled after Fuel, who first gained popularity in 1998 and were most popular in 2000/2001.  Daughtry's most popular performance on American Idol was his rendition of Hemorrhage (In My Hands), so it's no surprise that his debut single, It's Not Over, sounded a lot like that track, and the rest of his hit singles could easily be compared to the Fuel catalogue, as well.

Nobody talks about Avatar anymore. I completely forgot it even existed until you mentioned it. Inception never really started any trends, at least not mainstream ones.

Well, they aren't franchises (though Avatar has two planned sequels in development hell), so of course they're technically not talked about anymore, but I think they were both at least influential to the typical style of 2010s movies.  Studios now want their films to look as gorgeous in 3D as avatar, or as intellectually provocative as Inception, since both movies were so hyped at the time of release.

Easy A is totally 2000's. I just watched it last week and it didn't feel the same as today at all. The humor, the clothes, the catchphrases (no one says harlot, trollop, and floozy anymore!!), the camera style, it just doesn't fit in with 2015. Heck, it's much more similar to Not Another Teen Movie than it is to The Duff. The Duff really is a 2010's teen film. However, teen films and television don't really exist as a major force in the 2010's. Not in the same way that they did in the 1990s.

Easy A has a very 2010s mindset to it that really wasn't present in Mean Girls, Superbad, or the American Pie sequels.  It's not identical to now, but the characters' attitudes just don't have the same spin to them as what typically defined the 2000s.  The themes and characters in the movie reflect pretty directly the social activism directed against conservative christians, as well as the spontaneity of social interaction in the 2010s.

As surprising as this sounds, no one plays Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies anymore. The only people that do now are 35+ and little kids.

Well, I brought those two games up because they were pioneers of the mobile game craze.  They may not be popular now, but they certainly haven't taken down the mobile market down with them.

As I have said before, I view every calendar year as having cultural similarities with years that precede it and succeed it by four years. If a song is four years apart or less from another year, then it is still the same era, regardless of how different they may be. If a song is five years apart or more from another year, then it is a different era, regardless of how similar they may be. This means that 2007 is the same era as 2011, and 2011 is the same era as 2015. However, 2007 is a different era from 2012, and 2010 is a different era from 2015.

That philosophy just straight up ignores the influence that sociopolitical events have on the evolution of popular culture.  By your logic, Nirvana's Nevermind is from the same era as 1987, a year during which Reagan was still in office and hair metal was very much in its peak.  By your reasoning, 1954 is not the same era as 1949, even though both years were defined by the exact same type of music, the exact same political issues, and the exact same moral attitudes.  From a whole, general standpoint, 2010 has more in common with 2015 than 2007, despite being chronologically further away.  There are some things it shares with 2007 and not 2015, but the influence just isn't the same.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/12/15 at 8:26 am

Yeah, it felt like 7th generation gaming lasted the longest, it may had started around 2005/2006 but I didn't notice it get popular until 2007. But during the late 2000's the Wii had peaked with all those game titles #Infinity mentioned. But as soon as this decade started the Wii declined and the XBOX 360/PS3 rose up with the release of Black Ops, the Kinect, and all these other cool titles. I agree that Nintendo has lost variety lately, even back during the GameCube days there was more variety of titles towards more audiences like Star Fox Assault and many others, now it's like meh...

Written By: Howard on 07/12/15 at 2:44 pm

They have not evolved with the times, there is still no online and the lack of third party

Nintendo should just stay the way it is.

Written By: Howard on 07/12/15 at 2:45 pm

Everybody on YouTube including angry joe thinks there out of touch!

I'm happy the way they are.

Written By: Howard on 07/12/15 at 2:47 pm

Look, it's ridiculous to call 2009 "2010's", because the 2010's didn't even exist yet!! No decade defines itself by it's early years. It is always, always the middle and later years. No one looks at 1991 or even 1993 and thinks "So '90s!", they think "Is this '80s?" only to have a look of shock and disbelief when I tell them it's from the '90s. In 2020, who's to say that the early 2010's will look "2010's" at all? 2020 is five years from now. We have more than enough time for the 2010s to evolve into something completely unrecognizable. And who knows when it will happen?

Nobody talks about Avatar anymore. I completely forgot it even existed until you mentioned it. Inception never really started any trends, at least not mainstream ones. Alice in Wonderland and Tangled definitely did though. Easy A is totally 2000's. I just watched it last week and it didn't feel the same as today at all. The humor, the clothes, the catchphrases (no one says harlot, trollop, and floozy anymore!!), the camera style, it just doesn't fit in with 2015. Heck, it's much more similar to Not Another Teen Movie than it is to The Duff. The Duff really is a 2010's teen film. However, teen films and television don't really exist as a major force in the 2010's. Not in the same way that they did in the 1990s.

I agree with this.

I remember the Sandy Hook shooting too, what a day to remember. :o

Written By: TheMusicdewd on 07/12/15 at 3:02 pm

No decade defines itself by it's early years. It is always, always the middle and later years. No one looks at 1991 or even 1993 and thinks "So '90s!", they think "Is this '80s?" only to have a look of shock and disbelief when I tell them it's from the '90s.

Well that's a riduclous and flawed way of viewing things.  A decade should be remembered for all the parts of the decade.  Early years, Middle years, or Later years doesn't really make a difference.  And I think the earlier years of the decade tend to be more important when it comes to defining the decade than the later years.  Usually, by the beginning of the decade, it's already easy to tell the difference between the current decade and the last decade because new music, new TV shows , and new fashion tend to already be in full force by then.  While the later years tend to have a past peak feeling when comes to a decade's culture and it's usually easy to tell by then what trends will define the next decade.  The early and middle years are whats most important, the last few years don't really matter at all.  That is not always the case, but it's true when discussing decades like the 1970's, 1990's, or 2000's.

The 2000's got it's start in 1999.  Technically, the 2000's didn't really began until 2000, but culturally the 2000's began pretty early.  Early 2000's fads were already in full force by the year, Teen Pop had fully exploded and was at it's peak, Grunge was long gone and dead by that point, and Post-Grunge, Ne-Metal, and Pop-Punk had took it's place instead, Gangsta Rap was dead, Seinfield was off the air, the Golden Age of The Simpsons and Nickelodeon had ended, and more and more people began using the Internet that year and got AOL.  The 2000's began early, not after 9/11, or 2003, or whenever Late 90's culture died out.

Obviously, some things from the previous decade may still be around in early part of the new decade, that's just natural.  The early years of the decade tend to still have a leftover feeling of the last decade, but that's just the VERY END of the decade, NOT the whole entire decade.  Nobody in 2002 was going "Damn, is this still the 90's?" ::)

Written By: mqg96 on 07/12/15 at 3:45 pm

Well that's a riduclous and flawed way of viewing things.  A decade should be remembered for all the parts of the decade.  Early years, Middle years, or Later years doesn't really make a difference.  And I think the earlier years of the decade tend to be more important when it comes to defining the decade than the later years.  Usually, by the beginning of the decade, it's already easy to tell the difference between the current decade and the last decade because new music, new TV shows , and new fashion tend to already be in full force by then.  While the later years tend to have a past peak feeling when comes to a decade's culture and it's usually easy to tell by then what trends will define the next decade.  The early and middle years are whats most important, the last few years don't really matter at all.  That is not always the case, but it's true when discussing decades like the 1970's, 1990's, or 2000's.

The 2000's got it's start in 1999.  Technically, the 2000's didn't really began until 2000, but culturally the 2000's began pretty early.  Early 2000's fads were already in full force by the year, Teen Pop had fully exploded and was at it's peak, Grunge was long gone and dead by that point, and Post-Grunge, Ne-Metal, and Pop-Punk had took it's place instead, Gangsta Rap was dead, Seinfield was off the air, the Golden Age of The Simpsons and Nickelodeon had ended, and more and more people began using the Internet that year and got AOL.  The 2000's began early, not after 9/11, or 2003, or whenever Late 90's culture died out.

Obviously, some things from the previous decade may still be around in early part of the new decade, that's just natural.  The early years of the decade tend to still have a leftover feeling of the last decade, but that's just the VERY END of the decade, NOT the whole entire decade.  Nobody in 2002 was going "Damn, is this still the 90's?" ::)

ArticFox has a point though, and unfortunately that's the way it is. A lot of people forget that the 1st half of the decade existed. Most people agree that late 90's culture didn't die out 100% until around 2004 which is considered as the start of core 2000's culture. Most of the fads and culture that defined the 2000's decade were popular around 2004-2007 and even 2008 for some too. Of course 2000-2003 were nothing like the core 90's years but it's nothing like the core 2000's years either. Even after the election of George Bush and 9/11 even then it wasn't completely 2000's yet, but almost. Maybe politically and fashion wise things were full 2000's like by 2002 & 2003 but you can't forget about the pop culture and fads at the time either. In my opinion it really wasn't until 2004 hit when things felt real real 110% 2000's for sure.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/12/15 at 8:51 pm

ArticFox has a point though, and unfortunately that's the way it is. A lot of people forget that the 1st half of the decade existed. Most people agree that late 90's culture didn't die out 100% until around 2004 which is considered as the start of core 2000's culture. Most of the fads and culture that defined the 2000's decade were popular around 2004-2007 and even 2008 for some too. Of course 2000-2003 were nothing like the core 90's years but it's nothing like the core 2000's years either. Even after the election of George Bush and 9/11 even then it wasn't completely 2000's yet, but almost. Maybe politically and fashion wise things were full 2000's like by 2002 & 2003 but you can't forget about the pop culture and fads at the time either. In my opinion it really wasn't until 2004 hit when things felt real real 110% 2000's for sure.

I agree 2000-August 2001 were the VERY early 00s;a late 90s extension; late 2001-mid 2003 were the true early 00s! By 2004 it was TOTAL 2000's world!

Written By: #Infinity on 07/12/15 at 8:53 pm

While I disagree with a few key points TheMusicdewd made (teen pop is more of a millennial thing, going back to 1997 with Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys' debut, etc. and dying after 2001), I think he's right when he says new culture is in full force during the early part of the decade, whereas it's usually well past its peak towards the end.  This is why I'm one of the few who considers 2009 distinctly 2010s and not 2000s - all of the new trends made that year far more to me than the old, leftover stuff from the late mid-late 2000s.  I don't look at Obama being president, the Great Recession, or Lady Gaga and think, "that's totally 2000s."  The first things that come to my mind when I think of the 2000s would be 9/11 (which occurred early, in 2001), the War on Terror (which was most relevant in 2003), Lil Jon (who peaked in 2004), emo (which was biggest in 2005), Avril Lavigne (who's peak was 2002-2007), films like Mean Girls (2004), and games like Halo and the Metroid Prime trilogy (which both started in the early 2000s and concluded in 2007).  I know other people might think of different events, but I can't really see most culture from 2009 or especially 2010 as being the epitome of the 2000s.

2001-2003 was not purely 2000s, no, but that doesn't mean it didn't still have a lot of important culture from the decade, either.  9/11 and the Iraq War were the definitive political events of the 2000s, and both were talked about mostly during the early phase of the decade, not as much the later.  2001-2003 also had the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man, Avril Lavigne's first album, the first two Harry Potter movies, the first Shrek film, and 50 Cent's Get Rich or Die Tryin'.

Also, I don't think most people really forget the first half of the 90s far more than the second, unless they were still too young to be really exposed to popular culture at the time of the first.  Things like grunge, gangsta rap, the golden age of Nicktoons, Sega, and the Simpsons were all some of the biggest hallmarks of the decade, even though they were predominantly early 90s phenomena, with a bit of influence during the middle as well.  They were all past their prime during the last years of the 90s (Dr. Dre's 2001 is much, much more like his 2000s output than his mid-90s output; the Sega Dreamcast was popular with fans, but it wasn't commercially successful like the Genesis was).

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/13/15 at 1:21 am

Nobody in 2002 was going "Damn, is this still the 90's?" ::)

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe00s/1035006751.shtml  ;)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/13/15 at 1:27 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe00s/1035006751.shtml  ;)

I read them, some interesting points made back then!! :o

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/13/15 at 2:20 am

IN 2005, YES 2005 on inthe00s, people were saying that the late 90s were still around! It's pretty amazing!!
http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe00s/smf/1123281546.shtml

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/13/15 at 2:22 am

Here's what people had to say about 2015 10 freaking years ago!!! :o
http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe00s/smf/1112660697.shtml

Written By: TheMusicdewd on 07/13/15 at 3:10 am

IN 2005, YES 2005 on inthe00s, people were saying that the late 90s were still around! It's pretty amazing!!
http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe00s/smf/1123281546.shtml

But, they are talking about the Late 90's.  The very Late 90's.  The 2000's were nothing like the Early to Mid 90's.  The real 90's were long gone like after 1997.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/13/15 at 3:32 am

But, they are talking about the Late 90's.  The very Late 90's.  The 2000's were nothing like the Early to Mid 90's.  The real 90's were long gone like after 1997.

you are correct! they were talking about the late 90s millennium era!

Written By: Arrowstone on 07/13/15 at 3:18 pm

I particularly liked 2012 and 2013. Those were positive years for me personally, the music was good (esp. 2013 with disco revival etc.), the fashion was ok (if you liked coloured pants), and the world was slightly less balancing on the edge than now.
But these days... everything has hit a plateau. Music, tech, myself :o The youtube I knew is now totally dominated by the fake-happy vloggers. Etc. But still, I'm sure we'll survive it. :)

Written By: shadowcookie on 07/13/15 at 10:27 pm

I like electronic music myself, and a lot of other people do too, so I don't see it departing in the near future. Music remains popular because of mass demand. If music you like is no longer in the charts then that is a clear indication that most people don't like it. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Anyway, there are a number of songs from the mid-2010s that I like. Here are some:

IXpxe9xL-sk

2vjPBrBU-TM

03O2yKUgrKw

79YDgv_zWA4

b6vSf0cA9qY

J9NQFACZYEU

9fL5iWgWwno

Written By: 80sfan on 07/13/15 at 10:37 pm

As a whole, I don't really like pop culture from 2008 and after.

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/14/15 at 10:22 am

Aw man, the US too? We're about to enter another recession here in Canada if we haven't already.

Pop culturally, it's better than the  mid 2000's–early 2010's.

LOL. Naw it's waaaay worse ;D

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/14/15 at 10:34 am

It's not too bad.

Why, because it actually had a tune?

Written By: Fearsword on 07/16/15 at 3:37 am

Well here in Australia pretty bad. Especially when we have the village idiot Tony Abbott in office(who is practically Australia's 'answer' to George W. Bush.)

Musically though, pretty good. We now have a lot more local artists that are charting well overseas.

Written By: sonikuu on 07/16/15 at 8:23 pm

I liked 2010 to 2012 better (2013 can also be lumped in there), but that's probably more a reflection of my personal circumstances than the pop culture itself. 

I actually don't mind the whole electronic music thing, which has decreased in influence in 2015 anyway.  Personally, I would rather than the EDM-influenced music of the 2010s over the Hip-Hop and R&B heavy 00s.  I do miss the rock scene of the 00s quite a bit, but I guess that's the price I have to pay for liking the overall music scene of the 2010s better.  A lot of people hate mid-10s music it seems, and some seem to be saying they prefer the mid-00s.  That said, people on this very same board were complaining ten years ago that the 00s had awful music.  People will never be happy.

I don't care for the recent revival of the "culture wars" in mainstream political discourse, but I'm largely isolated from that living here in Japan. 

TV in the 2010s is better than the 00s on average by a pretty fair margin.  Fashion too, for that matter.  Movie-wise, I don't see too big of a difference in quality between the two decades, or between the early and mid 2010s. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/16/15 at 8:45 pm

It's not as good as the 2000s, but at least it was better than the early 2010s. Now that more people are getting nostalgic over the 2000s since it's getting less recent now. But for entertainment now, it's basically a wasteland. Cable sales aren't doing good thanks to Netflix, Amazon Prime and pretty much any online-subscription services. HBO is not that good with Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and The Brink being the only two shows that I watch on the channel and everybody on the Internet hates cartoons with a passion. It's just sad to me.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/16/15 at 11:39 pm

I actually don't mind the whole electronic music thing, which has decreased in influence in 2015 anyway.  Personally, I would rather than the EDM-influenced music of the 2010s over the Hip-Hop and R&B heavy 00s.  I do miss the rock scene of the 00s quite a bit, but I guess that's the price I have to pay for liking the overall music scene of the 2010s better.  A lot of people hate mid-10s music it seems, and some seem to be saying they prefer the mid-00s.  That said, people on this very same board were complaining ten years ago that the 00s had awful music.  People will never be happy.

I've stated this before, but I think 2009-2011 was an overall improvement over the mid-late 2000s, musically.  The plethora of snap rap songs produced during that period, plus other lowbrow trash like Kelis' Bossy and Nelly's Grillz, were honestly much worse than anything popular now, even though certain things like Timbaland, Paramore, and Three Days Grace made up for that, at least for me.  Still, the 2005-2006 school year in particular was a true low point for popular music in general, and was the reason I stopped listening mainstream radio completely for a few years.  Even Mariah Carey's Emancipation of Mimi couldn't save the period (the album itself is far from her best work, anyway).  As flat-out boring as 2014 was and 2015 has been for music in general, they at least haven't been polluted with songs that are literally painful for me to listen to.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/17/15 at 1:03 am

I've stated this before, but I think 2009-2011 was an overall improvement over the mid-late 2000s, musically.  The plethora of snap rap songs produced during that period, plus other lowbrow trash like Kelis' Bossy and Nelly's Grillz, were honestly much worse than anything popular now, even though certain things like Timbaland, Paramore, and Three Days Grace made up for that, at least for me.  Still, the 2005-2006 school year in particular was a true low point for popular music in general, and was the reason I stopped listening mainstream radio completely for a few years.  Even Mariah Carey's Emancipation of Mimi couldn't save the period (the album itself is far from her best work, anyway).  As flat-out boring as 2014 was and 2015 has been for music in general, they at least haven't been polluted with songs that are literally painful for me to listen to.

Don't care what anybody says, but for me, at least in the era we've been in music since 2008ish, 2010 was the best year for music we had in years. Maybe it still doesn't compare to the early 2000's ones but I believe that was the true last high point in music. I remember starting high school that year for the first time and listening to all those music with my friends. Going to the football games trying to teach folks how to "Dougie" doing the dance together, DJ Khaled "All I Do Is Win", Eminem "Not Afraid", B.o.B. "Airplanes" and TONS more I could come up with. I have tons of memories from that year for music. After 2011 music has gone to sheesh again. For as long I've been in the target audience for pop culture during my lifetime music wise, 2010 was the highest peak for me.

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/17/15 at 4:26 am

A lot of people hate mid-10s music it seems, and some seem to be saying they prefer the mid-00s.  That said, people on this very same board were complaining ten years ago that the 00s had awful music.  People will never be happy.

I don't hate mid '10s music, and I do think it's better than the mid '00s (it's certainly better than 2006). It does seem like people will never be happy. In 2013 and early 2014, I was really obsessed with the pop culture of my childhood - the 2000's. I looked up '00s music, movies, tv shows, video games, clothes, I did it all for nostalgia. It felt great at first, but then sometime in 2014 I thought "I am still a teenager. I have a whole life ahead of me. Aren't I wasting it by choosing to absorb things that I am already familiar with?" Ever since then, I've been actually trying to make the best of my environment and my life, and I'm excited. I feel like my life is just beginning, whereas others choose to stick with what they already know, instead of discovering something new that they could love. This is also why I love the 1990's. I have no nostalgia attached to it because I was too young to remember them. I started learning from the ground up, and as I dug deeper into the culture of the '90s I realized that I loved it. That is an example of truly appreciating something - when you don't know it in the first place.

TV in the 2010s is better than the 00s on average by a pretty fair margin.  Fashion too, for that matter.  Movie-wise, I don't see too big of a difference in quality between the two decades, or between the early and mid 2010s.

Both decades have been mediocre for TV. Teen shows are conspicuously absent from the 2010's - the few ones that exist have horrible acting and unconvincing main characters and scripts, and the teen shows of the 2000's were ridiculously over-the-top and unrealistic. I guess fashion is better now than in the aughts, but that's only because now that individualism is in, I can replicate fashion styles from the mid-late 1990's. Movie-wise I think the 2010's are better. The 2000's just had a lot of pretentious and boring films in the middle and later years.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/17/15 at 6:42 am

I guess fashion is better now than in the aughts, but that's only because now that individualism is in, I can replicate fashion styles from the mid-late 1990's.

I think individualism in fashion was very much present back in the 2000s, especially 2009-2011 in particular, after the emo, urban, and bushy hair fashions were dead/dying but before variations of late 80s/early 90s erasure cuts were back in, both for men and women, and before hipster fashion was quite as prominent.  The cultural early 2010s were probably the most indistinguishable period for fashion ever in history, at least from what I've seen.  Most of the guys I knew at my high school in 11th and 12th grade just had plane jane short haircuts (some of them had longer hair, but not as many as during the preceding few years), while the girls just had long, untouched hairstyles.  Ever since about 2012 or 2013, everything has started to become unpredictable and/or overstated again, both in terms of hairstyles, as well as fashion.  I don't consider the "individualism" of 2010s fashion (or culture in general, for that matter) genuine, because there are clearly patterns in the types of eccentric styles you usually encounter.

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/17/15 at 1:49 pm

I think individualism in fashion was very much present back in the 2000s, especially 2009-2011 in particular, after the emo, urban, and bushy hair fashions were dead/dying but before variations of late 80s/early 90s erasure cuts were back in, both for men and women, and before hipster fashion was quite as prominent.  The cultural early 2010s were probably the most indistinguishable period for fashion ever in history, at least from what I've seen.  Most of the guys I knew at my high school in 11th and 12th grade just had plane jane short haircuts (some of them had longer hair, but not as many as during the preceding few years), while the girls just had long, untouched hairstyles.  Ever since about 2012 or 2013, everything has started to become unpredictable and/or overstated again, both in terms of hairstyles, as well as fashion.  I don't consider the "individualism" of 2010s fashion (or culture in general, for that matter) genuine, because there are clearly patterns in the types of eccentric styles you usually encounter.

Hipster fashion was definitely around in the late '00s in the mainstream. It just looked different. It started off as a hybrid of scene and nerd fashion with bright colors and huge glasses in the 2007-2011 timeframe. Then in 2012 it became more lumberjack, with earthier colors and massive scarves. The glasses stayed, but the late '00s hipster style was out. This style didn't last long and by spring 2014 it was dead. Hipsters are no longer around. From my experience of the early 2010's, the wings haircut was still in and the shaved sidecut (I hate that haircut!!) came in around 2012. Both coexisted for some time until about 2014. The girl's hair was just stick straight and unstyled with extreme side-partings. In 2012 though the messy ombré hair started to come in (it's out now for the most part). That look was everywhere in the 2013-2014 school year. I do agree that the individualism is fake, but I'm not one of those people.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/17/15 at 3:51 pm

Both decades have been mediocre for TV. Teen shows are conspicuously absent from the 2010's - the few ones that exist have horrible acting and unconvincing main characters and scripts, and the teen shows of the 2000's were ridiculously over-the-top and unrealistic. I guess fashion is better now than in the aughts, but that's only because now that individualism is in, I can replicate fashion styles from the mid-late 1990's. Movie-wise I think the 2010's are better. The 2000's just had a lot of pretentious and boring films in the middle and later years.

Your focusing WAY too much on young people shows, this decade had been pretty damn good for tv! You are right late 00s was a pretty damn mediocre time for tv! There were a few good ones, Mad Men and Dexter etc. But I liked the early-mid 00s the prime time shows and the cartoons!! :)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/17/15 at 3:59 pm

Teen shows are conspicuously absent from the 2010's - the few ones that exist have horrible acting and unconvincing main characters and scripts, and the teen shows of the 2000's were ridiculously over-the-top and unrealistic.

Well, tbh I only cared for teen shows when I was a kid!! As I got older I just got sick of them!! ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/17/15 at 9:37 pm

I liked 2010 to 2012 better (2013 can also be lumped in there), but that's probably more a reflection of my personal circumstances than the pop culture itself. 

I don't care for the recent revival of the "culture wars" in mainstream political discourse, but I'm largely isolated from that living here in Japan. 

Say what you think about TV nowadays, but it's not as good as the 2000s. Especially with broadcast television dying out with almost no one watching it. It's a wasteland there. If it wasn't for Netflix, then broadcast television would get a better experience in the 2010s.

Written By: nally on 07/17/15 at 11:54 pm

Say what you think about TV nowadays, but it's not as good as the 2000s. Especially with broadcast television dying out with almost no one watching it. It's a wasteland there. If it wasn't for Netflix, then broadcast television would get a better experience in the 2010s.

Many things on broadcast TV haven't really appealed to me either. :-\\

Written By: mqg96 on 07/18/15 at 12:10 am

Having the ability to stream unlimited time limit videos, episodes, or movies on Youtube doesn't help either. Like you said we live in a digital age now with Netflix, Hulu, etc. That's why the variety on TV has declined lately here. Live sports and news are the only stuff worth watching on cable now.

Written By: nally on 07/18/15 at 12:12 am

Live sports and news are the only stuff worth watching on cable now.

That's pretty much what I watch too.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/15 at 7:05 am

Well, tbh I only cared for teen shows when I was a kid!! As I got older I just got sick of them!! ;D

Which teen shows?

Written By: Howard on 07/18/15 at 7:06 am

and also YouTube too.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/15 at 7:07 am

Having the ability to stream unlimited time limit videos, episodes, or movies on Youtube doesn't help either. Like you said we live in a digital age now with Netflix, Hulu, etc. That's why the variety on TV has declined lately here. Live sports and news are the only stuff worth watching on cable now.

I think the computer and internet has changed the way we watch television now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/18/15 at 10:46 am

Many things on broadcast TV haven't really appealed to me either. :-\\

Yeah. It seems like that broadcast television just wants to be cool like cable, but it seems like that nobody wants to have NBC, CBS and ABC nowadays. Fox on the other hand has decent shows, in my opinion.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/15 at 6:06 pm

Yeah. It seems like that broadcast television just wants to be cool like cable, but it seems like that nobody wants to have NBC, CBS and ABC nowadays. Fox on the other hand has decent shows, in my opinion.

and I think television might be phased out.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/18/15 at 6:11 pm

Yep cable is taking over!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/15 at 6:13 pm

You still need a television to watch cable television...

Written By: Howard on 07/18/15 at 6:32 pm

and Blu-Ray.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/18/15 at 6:39 pm

Which teen shows?

I liked the young people shows like 7th heaven, Buffy, Angel, Smallville, Boy Meets World, That 70s Show, etc. style of programming when I was a kid!!

Written By: mqg96 on 07/18/15 at 8:37 pm

I liked the young people shows like 7th heaven, Buffy, Angel, Smallville, Boy Meets World, That 70s Show, etc. style of programming when I was a kid!!

I can tell you didn't just watch Kids WB when you were younger, you must have watched all the sitcoms geared towards older or family audiences on the WB network itself as well.

Written By: nally on 07/18/15 at 9:11 pm

I often watch Fox for the baseball games. (In fact, they have been carrying coverage of the World Series every year since 2000.)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/18/15 at 10:20 pm

I can tell you didn't just watch Kids WB when you were younger, you must have watched all the sitcoms geared towards older or family audiences on the WB network itself as well.

yup!! I'd even watch sitcoms and shows like The West Wing, Everybody loves Raymond, early CSI, early survivor, Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise, ER, NYPD Blue, Frasier, later Seinfeld, Drew Carey Show, King of Queens, Who wants to be a Millionaire, Weakest Link, original Law and Order, X-Files, American Idol, Malcolm in the Middle, JAG, Monday night football, NBA on  both NBC, and ABC, MLB on Fox, and of course WWF/WWE, and WCW!!
I'd even watch Letterman and Leno with my grandparents!! :D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/18/15 at 10:26 pm

I often watch Fox for the baseball games. (In fact, they have been carrying coverage of the World Series every year since 2000.)

Yeah, prior to that ABC, NBC, and FOX would switch in and out of coverage each year!!

Written By: mqg96 on 07/18/15 at 11:39 pm

Yeah, prior to that ABC, NBC, and FOX would switch in and out of coverage each year!!

Kind of how NBC, CBS, and FOX host the Super Bowls in 3 year cycles today.

Written By: ralfy on 07/19/15 at 5:47 am

Given multiple global crises, it's beginning to look like the 1970s.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/15 at 1:46 pm

I only watched Boy Meets World and That 70's Show those kinds of shows.

Written By: nally on 07/19/15 at 6:20 pm

I remember that. FOX carried it in '96 (when it was Braves vs. Yankees; I did not watch it at all because those are the two teams I despise the most), NBC carried it in '97 (when the Marlins and Indians went the distance), and then back to FOX in '98!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/19/15 at 7:53 pm

I remember that. FOX carried it in '96 (when it was Braves vs. Yankees; I did not watch it at all because those are the two teams I despise the most), NBC carried it in '97 (when the Marlins and Indians went the distance), and then back to FOX in '98!

And then NBC carried the World Series in '99.

Written By: nally on 07/19/15 at 7:57 pm

And then NBC carried the World Series in '99.

That's right. But I didn't watch any of it. Not only did it feature the Braves & Yankees again, but I had other things going on in my life at the time.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/20/15 at 8:37 am

The mid 2010's is some dark times. I once jokingly posted in another thread about this being the "world's going to s*** era", but its actually a sad reality now. During Obama's 2nd term, we now see that he has done more harm to this country and the world than good. ISIS is getting stronger, and the crime rate is surging in cities across the US thanks to the media overhyping incidents like Treyvon Martin, Ferguson, Baltimore, and a few others. Culturally, music has been bland and mediocre.

I hope Jeb Bush gets elected in 2016, and things turn around. Otherwise, I might have to pick a new country to live in.

Written By: Howard on 07/20/15 at 1:36 pm

What do I think? way too many shooting going on in the world.

Written By: ralfy on 07/20/15 at 2:14 pm

Posted elsewhere:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/02/limits-to-growth-was-right-new-research-shows-were-nearing-collapse

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 07/20/15 at 2:42 pm

The mid 2010's is some dark times. I once jokingly posted in another thread about this being the "world's going to s*** era", but its actually a sad reality now. During Obama's 2nd term, we now see that he has done more harm to this country and the world than good. ISIS is getting stronger, and the crime rate is surging in cities across the US thanks to the media overhyping incidents like Treyvon Martin, Ferguson, Baltimore, and a few others. Culturally, music has been bland and mediocre.

I hope Jeb Bush gets elected in 2016, and things turn around. Otherwise, I might have to pick a new country to live in.

On the other hand:

The economy is a lot better than it was when he took office. Job creation wise, the best since the late 90's.

Obamacare is getting more popular.

The push for LGBT rights.

Improved relations with Cuba and Iran.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/20/15 at 7:50 pm

But Jeb Bush would just make it worse by making American soldiers fight again to defeat ISIS, making another Middle East War.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/15 at 1:10 am

Karma. I agree.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/15 at 3:01 am

Too many guns being made available.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/21/15 at 9:07 am

But Jeb Bush would just make it worse by making American soldiers fight again to defeat ISIS, making another Middle East War.

How would that make it worse? That's what we need to be doing.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/15 at 11:35 am

How would that make it worse? That's what we need to be doing.

What if they need a lot of money, and then the economy would be terrible again?

Written By: Howard on 07/21/15 at 1:49 pm

Too many guns being made available.

and should be stopped!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/15 at 1:53 pm

and should be stopped!
...but to own guns and bear arms  is a part of the Constitution of the USA?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/22/15 at 10:46 am

...but to own guns and bear arms  is a part of the Constitution of the USA?
...and can it would be a congress sitting to oppose against it and would change the political status of that law?

I assume?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/22/15 at 11:46 am

Lol I watched all of those shows with my older sisters (they were born in the mid 80's) along with, Dawson's Creek, Gillmore Girls, The O.C, Degrassi, Taina, & Kenan & Kel!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/15 at 9:22 pm

Cable has been slowly taking over broadcast TV since the late 90s. Now, it seems like everybody wants to go watch something from FX, AMC, HBO, ShowTime, any cable network that has been popular throughout the 80s to 2000s.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/23/15 at 10:20 pm

I love them! They are a huge improvement over the early 10's.

Its funny when it came to the 90's and 00's I always preferred the later 90's, 1995-1999 & the earlier 2000's, 2000-2004.

However with the 10's, I hated the earlier 10 with a passion (well maybe 2010-2012) but ever since mid 2013 my life has been improving and now in 2015, although my life is not the greatest at the moment, its a huge improvement.

Not only in my personal life but also in pop culture. Remember 5 years ago when Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga (though I will admit I liked a few of her songs back in the day), and AKON were the 'it' musicians of that time? Remember when Miley Cyrus was on Disney Channel? Remember CN Real? Yeah that was a dark era for pop culture.

While I do have fond memories of some of my personal life from 2007-2008 pop culture wise it was a mess and the crazy economy didn't help

Music is making a big comeback, tv as well, many kid channels are now starting to get their act together, and fashion today is amazing!

Written By: #Infinity on 07/23/15 at 11:08 pm

Music is making a big comeback, tv as well, many kid channels are now starting to get their act together, and fashion today is amazing!

How is music starting to make a comeback?  Most of what's coming out now just feels like safer, watered down versions of the indietronica, EDM, and trap genres that were popular in the early 2010s.

Written By: sonikuu on 07/23/15 at 11:49 pm

Crime is not surging. Media hype doesn't make it so. The crime rate has actually been declining nationwide since the mid-90s. Not only that, murders, rapes, teenage pregnancy, and other such undesirable things have all decreased by a sizable amount since the 1990s.

As for ISIS...okay, so the US goes in to fight ISIS. What's the plan for afterward? What credible plan exists that will prevent another ISIS-like scenario from occurring? Clearly a multi-year occupation didn't work so well the first time, and the current Iraqi government is clearly corrupt. What is your plan for after military action? That's the part no one seems to mention - they want to crush ISIS, but never talk about what happens afterward.

Music is purely subjective.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/15 at 7:17 am

Cable has been slowly taking over broadcast TV since the late 90s. Now, it seems like everybody wants to go watch something from FX, AMC, HBO, ShowTime, any cable network that has been popular throughout the 80s to 2000s.

and also 500 channels.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/24/15 at 10:07 am

and also 500 channels.

Yeah, that's progress which shows that cable is really dominant in the television industry.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/15 at 10:12 am

and also 500 channels.
Have to pay extra to view the majority of them!

Written By: Howard on 07/24/15 at 2:59 pm

Yeah, that's progress which shows that cable is really dominant in the television industry.

and it will continue to be dominant.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/24/15 at 5:00 pm

Especially for premium-cable networks like HBO and ShowTime.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/15 at 5:06 pm

Can't afford them!

Written By: 97er on 07/30/15 at 2:54 pm

As a teen, I personally love this decade and the music. I mean, at least we 10ers have a distinctive style for our decade. The 00s really don't have their "sound". I also think the fashion is good and not as trashy as the 90s and 00s.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/31/15 at 12:34 am

As a teen, I personally love this decade and the music. I mean, at least we 10ers have a distinctive style for our decade. The 00s really don't have their "sound". I also think the fashion is good and not as trashy as the 90s and 00s.

Nineties fashion "trashy?" I don't hear that often.  ::)

I do agree about the '10s having a distinctive style, though, especially in music. I can easily identify a song as belonging to this decade from listening to a few seconds of it.

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/31/15 at 5:33 pm

Not only in my personal life but also in pop culture. Remember 5 years ago when Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga (though I will admit I liked a few of her songs back in the day), and AKON were the 'it' musicians of that time? Remember when Miley Cyrus was on Disney Channel? Remember CN Real? Yeah that was a dark era for pop culture.

Lol! You consider the Hannah Montana era "darker" than Miley dancing in underwear in stage?
The time when Kid Cudi and K'naan were big and made great music?
Where is the first ticket back to pre-2011? If you guys can find it, I'll gladly take it.

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/31/15 at 5:38 pm

I think someome should do a public poll at the end of the decade to compare peoples opinions of the 10s to the 00s and before. Wikipedia seems to think peoples perceptions if the 00s have been improving, but a poll would help clarify.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/15 at 6:12 pm

I think someome should do a public poll at the end of the decade to compare peoples opinions of the 10s to the 00s and before. Wikipedia seems to think peoples perceptions if the 00s have been improving, but a poll would help clarify.

If this decade improves overtime, then I would say that the mid and late 2010s are good.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 5:31 pm

Lol! You consider the Hannah Montana era "darker" than Miley dancing in underwear in stage?
The time when Kid Cudi and K'naan were big and made great music?
Where is the first ticket back to pre-2011? If you guys can find it, I'll gladly take it.

Yeah, for some reason, ocarinafan96 and mqg96 seem to hate the Hannah Montana show. I honestly don't know why would they seem to hate it with a passion, since it's just Miley being all cute with her dad. Hell, I want to go back when Miley Cyrus was all innocent and wasn't twerking or doing weird crap.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/04/15 at 5:49 pm

I suppose the first half of the 2000s was a lot better than the mid-2010s, but I think 2005-2008 was a pretty big falloff, which 2009-2011 improved from.  The pop charts during that time were littered with unlistenable snap rap (which is far worse even than the generic, inoffensive electropop of today), the gaming industry started to truly run out of steam, and Cartoon Network got substantially worse.  The atrociousness of some of the pop culture during that time was really what drove me away from mainstream media and more towards underground things like Dance Dance Revolution and eurobeat (a genre of music nobody knows about outside of Japan unless they've watched Initial D, played DDR, or researched Running in the 90s from the Lol, Internet meme).  I still prefer the overall environment of 2005-2008 over 2015, but pop culture still has had its ups and downs and isn't necessarily going through a continuous downward spiral.  I just hope the next era of popular culture is a step up from the dullness of today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 6:04 pm

I suppose the first half of the 2000s was a lot better than the mid-2010s, but I think 2005-2008 was a pretty big falloff, which 2009-2011 improved from.  The pop charts during that time were littered with unlistenable snap rap (which is far worse even than the generic, inoffensive electropop of today), the gaming industry started to truly run out of steam, and Cartoon Network got substantially worse.  The atrociousness of some of the pop culture during that time was really what drove me away from mainstream media and more towards underground things like Dance Dance Revolution and eurobeat (a genre of music nobody knows about outside of Japan unless they've watched Initial D, played DDR, or researched Running in the 90s from the Lol, Internet meme).  I still prefer the overall environment of 2005-2008 over 2015, but pop culture still has had its ups and downs and isn't necessarily going through a continuous downward spiral.  I just hope the next era of popular culture is a step up from the dullness of today.

I kinda agree to this post. While I do like the mid 2010s better than the early 2010s, it just seems to me that you don't like some of the things that's happening now. I mean, besides the Cecil lion manslaughter, everything is doing good. Politically, the U.S. just made same-sex marriage legal in all 50 states of America around late June. Entertainment-wise, they're doing better on Cartoon Network. I love We Bare Bears (as you can see, my avatar is one of the characters) and I'm excited to see the next episode on Thursday. The rest of TV seems pretty much the same since the early 2010s. Also, if I have to choose the 2005-2008 portion or the mid 2010s, then I would pick the mid and late 2000s. It seems like that entertainment today isn't as great as the 2000s.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/04/15 at 6:32 pm

I kinda agree to this post. While I do like the mid 2010s better than the early 2010s, it just seems to me that you don't like some of the things that's happening now. I mean, besides the Cecil lion manslaughter, everything is doing good.

You really think Cecil the Lion being tragically murdered is the biggest problem of the day, as opposed to the ailing economy of the early 2010s, continuing police hostility towards African Americans, and problematic cultural representation of LGBT people (which I'l talk more about soon)?  With all due respect, Cecil's death is unfortunate, but the 2010s really aren't the positive utopia that you seem to be describing it as.

Politically, the U.S. just made same-sex marriage legal in all 50 states of America around late June.

I'm a lesbian, and yet I hardly celebrated the legalization of same-sex marriage in all 50 states because as much as that's a critical milestone for LGBT rights in general, I still think the community has a long way to go in terms of diversity of representation.  I feel like it's still all too normative for gay men to be effeminate and campy, and for lesbians to watch Orange Is the New Black, wear masculine clothing, have tattoos, and have a cynical worldview, and especially for both communities to be primarily concentrated in urban gayborhoods rather than anywhere in general.  As a suburbanite, ultra-feminine lesbian who doesn't conform to the general fads of LGBT culture, I still feel as though I'm marginalized within the LGBT community, causing me to relate far more to straight people like Mariah Carey and my heterosexual high school crush than the usual lesbian icons of the day.

The rest of TV seems pretty much the same since the early 2010s.

I disagree, it seems as though Netflix is now the dominant source of popular shows, like Orange Is the New Black and House of Cards.  Also, Breaking Bad, the definitive series of the early 2010s, is over, even though you do have Better Call Saul.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 6:40 pm

You really think Cecil the Lion being tragically murdered is the biggest problem of the day, as opposed to the ailing economy of the early 2010s, continuing police hostility towards African Americans, and problematic cultural representation of LGBT people (which I'l talk more about soon)?  With all due respect, Cecil's death is unfortunate, but the 2010s really aren't the positive utopia that you seem to be describing it as.

I don't think I find the 2010s to be a positive utopia too. Do you really think that I would say that I love being a teen in the 2010s? No. I'm just saying that the mid 2010s is a slight improvement of the early 2010s. I'm just saying.

I'm a lesbian, and yet I hardly celebrated the legalization of same-sex marriage in all 50 states because as much as that's a critical milestone for LGBT rights in general, I still think the community has a long way to go in terms of diversity of representation.  I feel like it's still all too normative for gay men to be effeminate and campy, and for lesbians to watch Orange Is the New Black, wear masculine clothing, have tattoos, and have a cynical worldview, and especially for both communities to be primarily concentrated in urban gayborhoods rather than anywhere in general.  As a suburbanite, ultra-feminine lesbian who doesn't conform to the general fads of LGBT culture, I still feel as though I'm marginalized within the LGBT community, causing me to relate far more to straight people like Mariah Carey and my heterosexual high school crush than the usual lesbian icons of the day.

Okay, I can get that some Americans (mostly conservatives) would deny the fact that the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage, because it's probably against their religion or their political standards, but at least the whole country of the United States respects gay marriage and makes it legal.

I disagree, it seems as though Netflix is now the dominant source of popular shows, like Orange Is the New Black and House of Cards.  Also, Breaking Bad, the definitive series of the early 2010s, is over, even though you do have Better Call Saul.

Yeah, I could agree that Netflix is slowly taking over people's lives from cable TV, but that's probably half and half in the United States.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/04/15 at 6:52 pm

I don't think I find the 2010s to be a positive utopia too. Do you really think that I would say that I love being a teen in the 2010s? No. I'm just saying that the mid 2010s is a slight improvement of the early 2010s. I'm just saying.

I just personally think the early 2010s, while not perfect, were a much more exciting and colorful time in general.  The mid-2010s feel like they're caught in an impasse, unable to produce anything truly cutting edge, at least by my standards, or feel like they're really advancing towards something fascinating.

Okay, I can get that some Americans (mostly conservatives) would deny the fact that the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage, because it's probably against their religion or their political standards, but at least the whole country of the United States respects gay marriage and makes it legal.

That's not the point I'm making.  While not all Americans are fully comfortable with homosexuality yet, I feel that most of the country is at least enough of an accepting environment that it isn't completely difficult to be gay now the way it was in previous decades.  I've personally had no major issues living as a lesbian in suburban San Diego, even though I know a lot of nearby families don't want their children to be gay.

The main problems now are from within the LGBT community, which to this day seems to promote stereotypes of what it means to be a gay man or a lesbian.  Part of this is due to mainstream media's portrayal of LGBT people (focusing on effeminate men and masculine women, rather than those who don't deviate that much from their straight counterparts in terms of style), but it still feels as though there's a severe cultural hierarchy within the LGBT community, in which certain things are promoted much more during pride events and topical discussions than others.  I just don't relate to the vast bulk of gays and lesbians who I encounter, as it feels like they've either caved more into the dominant LGBT culture of the day or just have radically different upbringings than I did.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 7:08 pm

That's not the point I'm making.  While not all Americans are fully comfortable with homosexuality yet, I feel that most of the country is at least enough of an accepting environment that it isn't completely difficult to be gay now the way it was in previous decades.  I've personally had no major issues living as a lesbian in suburban San Diego, even though I know a lot of nearby families don't want their children to be gay.

The main problems now are from within the LGBT community, which to this day seems to promote stereotypes of what it means to be a gay man or a lesbian. Part of this is due to mainstream media's portrayal of LGBT people (focusing on effeminate men and masculine women, rather than those who don't deviate that much from their straight counterparts in terms of style), but it still feels as though there's a severe cultural hierarchy within the LGBT community, in which certain things are promoted much more during pride events and topical discussions than others.  I just don't relate to the vast bulk of gays and lesbians who I encounter, as it feels like they've either caved more into the dominant LGBT culture of the day or just have radically different upbringings than I did.

Well, if you don't like of how the mainstream media portrays the LGBT community, then why are you watching those shows? I mean, it's subjective to think about that, since the U.S. has a lot of freedom of speech.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/04/15 at 7:41 pm

Well, if you don't like of how the mainstream media portrays the LGBT community, then why are you watching those shows? I mean, it's subjective to think about that, since the U.S. has a lot of freedom of speech.

I'm certainly not watching shows like Orange Is the New Black or RuPaul's Drag Race, it just feels like most people in the LGBT community are into culture like that, and that it's harder to find other gays and lesbians whose interests, personality, world views, etc. are easier for me to personally relate to.  I don't like living in a world in which there's still an uncomfortable amount of peer pressure within the LGBT community, in the same way there was historically not much visibility for African Americans who weren't as personally interested in mainstream black culture (i.e., those who preferred rock & roll over hip hop and soul, voted Republican, or came from an upperclass suburban upbringing).  Advances in minorities issues is about more than just acceptance by mainstream society; it's also about opening more possibilities for freedom of expression, and my experience has been that it's harder for me to be myself and find other lesbian friends than it is for a more stereotypical lesbian to be herself and attain the same level of popularity.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/04/15 at 7:47 pm

I just personally think the early 2010s, while not perfect, were a much more exciting and colorful time in general.  The mid-2010s feel like they're caught in an impasse, unable to produce anything truly cutting edge, at least by my standards, or feel like they're really advancing towards something fascinating.

The main problems now are from within the LGBT community, which to this day seems to promote stereotypes of what it means to be a gay man or a lesbian.  Part of this is due to mainstream media's portrayal of LGBT people (focusing on effeminate men and masculine women, rather than those who don't deviate that much from their straight counterparts in terms of style), but it still feels as though there's a severe cultural hierarchy within the LGBT community, in which certain things are promoted much more during pride events and topical discussions than others.  I just don't relate to the vast bulk of gays and lesbians who I encounter, as it feels like they've either caved more into the dominant LGBT culture of the day or just have radically different upbringings than I did.

It seems like we're the only ones on here that really appreciate the early 2010's pop culture. I mean are people forgetting the Twilight Saga, the premiere of the Walking Dead, the max popularity of Angry Birds and many other iPhone/Android apps, the debatably best period music we've had in years in the very early 2010's up until it fell again around 2012, Cartoon Network's improvements with the addition of  two hit series Adventure Time & Regular Show, the Avengers, Iron Man 2, Toy Story 3, the peak of Breaking Bad, Lebron Jame's first 2 championship rings, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2, and so much more I know I missed. I agree that late 2008-early 2012 was like a similar era. Here in the south (at least in Georgia) I really liked the style of clothes we wore at time too. As a guy I really loved the caggie shorts and polo shirts style with Nike shoes we'd be wearing at the time including some nice 360 wave hair styles. I'm not sure about the fashion for girls at the time lol. But it seemed like since the 2012-2013 school year everybody's been wearing whatever the hell they want in this emo-twitter-hipster era of things, where social media has taken over our lives completely, and no offense but as an African American male person I hate the fade cut hairstyle with blonde streaks mixed in which I started seeing a lot of folks in my high school doing around the 2012-2013 school year. I thought the low cut 360 spinning waves hair style that was popular from the late 2008-early 2012 period was miles better. The mid-2010's culture with the exception of some really good movies and great DC/Marvel shows/movies have been really bland and boring to me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 7:51 pm

It seems like we're the only ones on here that really appreciate the early 2010's pop culture. I mean are people forgetting the Twilight Saga, the premiere of the Walking Dead, the max popularity of Angry Birds and many other iPhone/Android apps, the debatably best period music we've had in years in the very early 2010's up until it fell again around 2012, Cartoon Network's improvements with the addition of  two hit series Adventure Time & Regular Show, the Avengers, Iron Man 2, Toy Story 3, the peak of Breaking Bad, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2, and so much more I know I missed. I agree that late 2008-early 2012 was like a similar era. Here in the south (at least in Georgia) I really liked the style of clothes we wore at time too. As a guy I really loved the caggie shorts and polo shirts style with Nike shoes we'd be wearing at the time including some nice 360 wave hair styles. I'm not sure about the fashion for girls at the time lol. But it seemed like since the 2012-2013 school year everybody's been wearing whatever the hell they want in this emo-twitter-hipster era of things, where social media has taken over our lives completely, and no offense but as an African American male person I hate the fade cut hairstyle with blonde streaks mixed in which I started seeing a lot of folks in my high school doing around the 2012-2013 school year. I thought the low cut 360 spinning waves hair style that was popular from the late 2008-early 2012 period was miles better.

Wasn't most of that stuff either popular in the late 2000s or was 2000s culture that died in the early 2010s?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/04/15 at 7:55 pm

It seems like we're the only ones on here that really appreciate the early 2010's pop culture. I mean are people forgetting the Twilight Saga, the premiere of the Walking Dead, the max popularity of Angry Birds and many other iPhone/Android apps, the debatably best period music we've had in years in the very early 2010's up until it fell again around 2012, Cartoon Network's improvements with the addition of  two hit series Adventure Time & Regular Show, the Avengers, Iron Man 2, Toy Story 3, the peak of Breaking Bad, Lebron Jame's first 2 championship rings, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2, and so much more I know I missed. I agree that late 2008-early 2012 was like a similar era. Here in the south (at least in Georgia) I really liked the style of clothes we wore at time too. As a guy I really loved the caggie shorts and polo shirts style with Nike shoes we'd be wearing at the time including some nice 360 wave hair styles. I'm not sure about the fashion for girls at the time lol. But it seemed like since the 2012-2013 school year everybody's been wearing whatever the hell they want in this emo-twitter-hipster era of things, where social media has taken over our lives completely, and no offense but as an African American male person I hate the fade cut hairstyle with blonde streaks mixed in which I started seeing a lot of folks in my high school doing around the 2012-2013 school year. I thought the low cut 360 spinning waves hair style that was popular from the late 2008-early 2012 period was miles better. The mid-2010's culture with the exception of some really good movies and great DC/Marvel shows/movies have been really bland and boring to me.

You're African American too? SWEET!!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/04/15 at 7:56 pm

Wasn't most of that stuff either popular in the late 2000s or was 2000s culture that died in the early 2010s?

they're apart of the VERY early 10s!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 7:56 pm

You're African American too? SWEET!!

You're black too? Wow. That's surprising. I'm not being racist or anything, it's just that I never knew that you were black.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/04/15 at 8:58 pm

You're black too? Wow. That's surprising. I'm not being racist or anything, it's just that I never knew that you were black.

yeah, go to show us what you look like in the photos and you'll see me there!

Written By: tv on 08/05/15 at 8:01 pm

Oh yeah I forgot about "Grillz" by Nelly. "Grillz" was an ugly song but todays music is bland. I guess its better to be bland than ugly!
Yeah 2006 was boring musically.

Written By: tv on 08/05/15 at 8:07 pm

Yeah but most popular shows like the top 20 programs watched each year are on Broadcast TV except for "The Walking Dead" I think. I will give you though the most watched program of the 2014-2015 TV season was not a TV show it was "Sunday Night Football"

Written By: tv on 08/05/15 at 8:19 pm

I think Hillary Clinton will win the Presidential Election though as it looks now despite horrible unfavorable numbers and high dishonesty numbers. I just think the Republicans Candidates will get too distracted trying to get Donald Trump out of the race for the Republican nomination. They will spend all their time attacking Trump and be time that Republican Nominee gets to the general election they will be out of breath. Just look at Obama vs Romney from the last time. I see the same thing happening again in 2016.

Written By: tv on 08/05/15 at 8:24 pm

The 00's have their sound with Hip-Hop. 90's and 00's were not trashy fashion wise.

Written By: tv on 08/05/15 at 8:30 pm

Yeah, for some reason, ocarinafan96 and mqg96 seem to hate the Hannah Montana show. I honestly don't know why would they seem to hate it with a passion, since it's just Miley being all cute with her dad. Hell, I want to go back when Miley Cyrus was all innocent and wasn't twerking or doing weird crap.
Yeah I would like that too.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/15 at 9:01 pm

Yeah but most popular shows like the top 20 programs watched each year are on Broadcast TV except for "The Walking Dead" I think. I will give you though the most watched program of the 2014-2015 TV season was not a TV show it was "Sunday Night Football"

Well, most people still like to watch sports on either broadcast or cable TV. So it's still going to be popular for a long time.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/07/17 at 11:44 am

Now that the era has been over some time, I will say I'm glad that it ended because most of the culture was definitely awful. I hope the late 10s so far improve to the point where I can look on it fondly.

Oh, and LOLOLOLOLOLOL ;D ;D ;D ;D at the presidential predictions. It looks like Jeb didn't realize he was going to lose a worse candidate than him. Although, I wish HC did win the election. She would have been a much better leader who we have today despite her record.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/07/17 at 11:50 am

Every year is getting worse. The late ‘10s so far are seeming to beat the mid ‘10s in awfulness. I hated 2014 at the time now it seems like slightly better than today. It’s sad and depressing.

Written By: 2001 on 10/07/17 at 11:51 am

I'm going to sorely miss the mid-2010s once it becomes old enough. In fact, reading this thread, I'm really regretting not being more invested in the pop culture. Like, I didn't watch the Jurassic Park movie even though I intended to. Now the mid-2010s vibe is almost all gone.  :\'(

The mid-2010s are severely underrated.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/07/17 at 11:54 am

I'm going to sorely miss the mid-2010s once it becomes old enough. In fact, reading this thread, I'm really regretting not being more invested in the pop culture. Like, I didn't watch the Jurassic Park movie even though I intended to.  :\'(

The mid-2010s are severely underrated.
Well you still can. It should be available online like all the other films.

Every year is getting worse. The late ‘10s so far are seeming to beat the mid ‘10s in awfulness. I hated 2014 at the time now it seems like slightly better than today. It’s sad and depressing.
I really hope it gets better soon. Aside from politics, the only thing that are great so far are the movies and music.

Written By: 2001 on 10/07/17 at 12:00 pm

Well you still can. It should be available online like all the other films.

Yeah, but the hype is all gone now! ;D

No more excuses for me. In 2018, I'm going to try to watch movies as they come out and try to listen to as many albums and go to as many shows as I can. This thread made me realize that once an era is gone, it's really gone forever and it ain't coming back. You have to soak it all in while you can. Don't blink and miss the moment.  :\'(

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/07/17 at 12:04 pm

No more excuses for me. In 2018, I'm going to try to watch movies as they come out and try to listen to as many albums and go to as many shows as I can. This thread made me realize that once an era is gone, it's really gone forever and it ain't coming back. You have to soak it all in while you can. Don't blink and miss the moment.  :\'(
Yeah, that's true. Ive been trying it watch the movies that are current; however, I'm not able to due to not having enough money. The last one I saw in theaters was Captain Underpants and it was hilarious  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: John Titor on 10/07/17 at 12:18 pm

late 2010s so far  > mid 2010s

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/07/17 at 2:49 pm

I completely agree! ;D Unfortunately, a lot of people on here don't seem to realise this

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/08/17 at 10:55 am

I didn't care for late 2013-2014, but I enjoyed and miss 2015 - summer 2016 a lot more than 2017.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/08/17 at 1:12 pm

i feel like there are certain things from the mid-2010s that I am already able to look back fondly on, mostly the movies but actually I've come to sort of appreciate some of the music it produced, but I'm glad I invested far more time exploring culture from the 80s and 90s instead because I sorely needed an escape from my dreadful personal life, especially around 2015.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/08/17 at 2:59 pm

i feel like there are certain things from the mid-2010s that I am already able to look back fondly on, mostly the movies but actually I've come to sort of appreciate some of the music it produced, but I'm glad I invested far more time exploring culture from the 80s and 90s instead because I sorely needed an escape from my dreadful personal life, especially around 2015.

I would suggest investing some time exploring some of the little known aspects of the era you're living in. It'll give you a greater appreciation of your life. Trust me.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 10/08/17 at 3:08 pm

I think the mid 2010's are not necessarily the best but not necessarily the worst either. All the other pop cultural eras I've lived through I've either loved or hated but I have mixed feelings on this one.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/08/17 at 3:52 pm

I didn't care for late 2013-2014, but I enjoyed and miss 2015 - summer 2016 a lot more than 2017.

Same ;)

Written By: bchris02 on 10/08/17 at 3:53 pm

I think the mid 2010's are not necessarily the best but not necessarily the worst either. All the other pop cultural eras I've lived through I've either loved or hated but I have mixed feelings on this one.

My dislike of the mid '10s has mostly been because of my personal life.  It was great in the early '10s but has been pretty awful since 2013.  Every time there is a hint that things might be about to turn around, I end up being fooled again.  At least the music in 2017 has been better.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 10/08/17 at 3:57 pm

My dislike of the mid '10s has mostly been because of my personal life.  It was great in the early '10s but has been pretty awful since 2013.  Every time there is a hint that things might be about to turn around, I end up being fooled again.  At least the music in 2017 has been better.

Yeah I can relate to that. 2012/2013 (at the time) were pretty much like that for me!

Written By: John Titor on 10/08/17 at 5:06 pm

you talking about 2014

Written By: 2001 on 10/08/17 at 5:42 pm

you talking about 2014

2014 is my favourite mid-2010s year.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/08/17 at 6:11 pm

That's my least favourite one haha ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 10/08/17 at 6:36 pm

I would suggest investing some time exploring some of the little known aspects of the era you're living in. It'll give you a greater appreciation of your life. Trust me.

It's been on an uphill climb since roughly the last third of 2015. The improvement has been extremely gradual, but it's been particularly pronounced since about the time I turned 25 this past August.

Written By: BornIn86 on 10/08/17 at 8:01 pm

Some trap songs are okay like Drunk in Love and Congradulations. Most are absolutely stupid and not worth my time. 2016 was Trap's peak and I hope it dies completely. The good parts aren't worth the bad.

Why does the worst of rap have to float to top so much easier than the worst of other genres?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/08/17 at 11:03 pm

Culturally the mid 2010s were actually pretty good! I can definitely look back on this time in the future with nostalgia. It was also very nice for my personal life overall. It was absolutely a great era, and better than the early 2010s. Now both my personal life and culture is nowhere near as good as the mid 2010s (I'm going through a mid-university crisis and mainstream music and culture is very bad now). I loved many mainstream songs from the mid '10s and the culture on the whole was pretty good too.

Now that the era has been over some time, I will say I'm glad that it ended because most of the culture was definitely awful.

No it wasn't.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/08/17 at 11:06 pm

2015 is my favourite mid '10s year. Unless you count 2013 as mid '10s (last quarter of it is technically mid '10s, though on the whole it is still more early 2010s) then it would be 2013. Either way my favourite years of this decade for the top 3 are 2013, 2015, and 2014 in that order.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/08/17 at 11:07 pm

Culturally the mid 2010s were actually pretty good! I can definitely look back on this time in the future with nostalgia. It was also very nice for my personal life overall. It was absolutely a great era, and better than the early 2010s. Now both my personal life and culture is nowhere near as good as the mid 2010s (I'm going through a mid-university crisis and mainstream music and culture is very bad now). I loved many mainstream songs from the mid '10s and the culture on the whole was pretty good too.
No it wasn't.

I agree, imo the mid-2010s were much better than what we've seen of the late 2010s so far :-X

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/08/17 at 11:10 pm

2015 is my favourite mid '10s year. Unless you count 2013 as mid '10s (last quarter of it is technically mid '10s, though on the whole it is still more early 2010s) then it would be 2013. Either way my favourite years of this decade for the top 3 are 2013, 2015, and 2014 in that order.

My favourite year for the mid 2010s would have to be 2015 aswell, the music and movies were very good that year. 2016 wouldve been first if it wasn't for things turning to crap around October/November last year and ultimately getting us to where we currently are.
2014 music was  8-P, and the year itself wasn't much better either.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/08/17 at 11:11 pm

My favourite year for the mid 2010s would have to be 2015 aswell, the music and movies were very good that year. 2016 wouldve been first if it wasn't for things turning to crap around October/November last year and ultimately getting us to where we currently are.
2014 music was  8-P, and the year itself wasn't much better either.

2016 is in the middle in terms of the decade overall. For me, 2010, 2011, and 2012 were all worse years than 2016. But now 2017 is starting to come to the bottom with some of the early '10s years.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/08/17 at 11:12 pm

Although, I'm optimistic for 2018 and 2019 being very good years, at least we have those good years to look forward to. People need to stop acting as if the decade has ended now or something, do you know how much stuff could happen in the next two years which could also define the decade!? :P

Written By: 2001 on 10/08/17 at 11:16 pm

I like 2013, 2015 and 2016 about equally. I really liked what I've seen in 2017 so far, but I wish I had more time to soak it all in. I feel like I'm missing out on everything. I can't believe this year is almost over. :\'(

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/08/17 at 11:19 pm

I like 2013, 2015 and 2016 about equally. I really liked what I've seen in 2017 so far, but I wish I had more time to soak it all in. I feel like I'm missing out on everything. I can't believe this year is almost over. :\'(

Don't worry, everyone feels like their missing out on everything........time goes very fast :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...