inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Harper Lee book sells more than 100K

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/15 at 7:44 am

Go Set A Watchman is Harper Lee's first book in more than 50 years, so the demand was always going to be high but the long awaited follow-up to To Kill A Mockingbird has sold a staggering 105,000 copies in the UK on its first day.

Announcing the sales figures, publisher Susan Sandon said: "It's so fabulous to see a book dominating the news agenda and to be reminded of just how important literature and reading is to all of us."

The novel has been met with some mixed reviews and many fans were shocked to discover one-time fiercely idealistic lawyer Atticus Finch, now retired, painted as a racist.

Subject: Re: Harper Lee book sells more than 100K

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/15/15 at 5:53 pm

I can't wait for "Mockingbird III: Finch's Revenge".  ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/15/15 at 7:03 pm

I had to read TKAMB in high school and it was a pretty good story. Why is the author making the character a complete opposite of the original?

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/15/15 at 9:06 pm

I haven't read it yet. Even though I think To Kill a Mockingbird is overrated, I still want to read the sequel.

And I'm not too bothered by Atticus' seeming change of heart. I suspect that this was an earlier conception of Atticus before being rewritten as a hero in TKAMB. Still, both Atticuses could be reconciled as the same person if we consider the idea that Atticus was willing to represent a black man in court if he believed he was innocent while still opposing integration. If anything, it makes him more believable to me.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/15/15 at 9:25 pm

Well, he was a white male, in the 1930s.  :(

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/15/15 at 11:48 pm

Right.

A white man trying to save a black man from getting lynched in the Jim Crow South was probably progressive enough for the time. He doesn't necessarily have to oppose segregation while he's at it.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/16/15 at 9:22 am

Right.

A white man trying to save a black man from getting lynched in the Jim Crow South was probably progressive enough for the time. He doesn't necessarily have to oppose segregation while he's at it.

Never thought of it that way.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/15 at 9:25 am

Right.

It is ages since I have read or seen the film, I could easily watch now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/15 at 9:21 am

A "limited number" of copies of Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman have been found to contain a printing error.

Copies affected by the technical fault have two lines missing on six separate pages near the end of novel.

Replacements are being printed and affected customers will be able to get their copies replaced.

With the book selling thousands of copies, though, there are fears of a (brief) stock shortage.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/15 at 9:22 am

A "limited number" of copies of Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman have been found to contain a printing error.

Copies affected by the technical fault have two lines missing on six separate pages near the end of novel.

Replacements are being printed and affected customers will be able to get their copies replaced.

With the book selling thousands of copies, though, there are fears of a (brief) stock shortage.
Of course the printing error copies will become a collectors item, and be worth more in value.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/17/15 at 12:44 pm

Of course the printing error copies will become a collectors item, and be worth more in value.

I need $$$ to buy it!

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/18/15 at 5:17 pm

That was a pretty good time to be a white guy, if you don't count the Great Depression.  :-X

Check for new replies or respond here...