inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New York toy store F.A.O. Schwarz to close

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/15 at 6:31 am

The iconic store has been dazzling children of all ages for more than 150 years but has now sold its last toy soldier.

The iconic New York toy store that famously featured in a scene from the Tom Hanks film 'Big' has closed.

F.A.O. Schwarz shut the doors of its flagship Fifth Avenue shop on Wednesday, much to the dismay of children young and old.

The store included an oversized piano keyboard that Hanks and 'Big' co-star Robert Loggia danced on to the song 'Heart and Soul', in the 1988 hit movie.

It also included a 4,000-square-foot candy shop and real-life toy soldiers who greeted shoppers as they entered.

The face of the company since 1986, it's moving due to rising rent, although owners hope an alternative location can be found in midtown Manhattan.

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article6077690.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/PAY-MAIN-FAO-Schwarz-to-close.jpg

Subject: Re: New York toy store F.A.O. Schwarz to close

Written By: whistledog on 07/16/15 at 9:51 am

Where is Josh Baskin gonna go to play Lazer Tag now?

Written By: mqg96 on 07/16/15 at 12:59 pm

Wow, back when I stayed at New York City for a whole week, the ONLY time ever in my lifetime so far, back in Summer 2011, those were one of the places I went to. This is kinda heartbreaking to me. Oh well. Thank God I went to New York back when when I was 15, but I wonder how it would have been going as a kid though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/15 at 1:33 pm

On our visit to  F.A.O. Schwarz, the keyboard was covered with children, so I or we did not get a chance to play "Chopsticks".

Written By: Howard on 07/16/15 at 2:48 pm

Where is Josh Baskin gonna go to play Lazer Tag now?

maybe a Toys R Us store?

Check for new replies or respond here...