inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Masculinity/femininity more stressed now?

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/21/15 at 9:53 am

I've been noticing that with the 2010's kids (people that have graduated high school in the 2010's), the girls are dressing more feminine, while the guys are more obsessed with going to the gym and getting big. I know girls have always preferred men to be muscular and masculine (at least American girls), but it seems like now it is more important than ever. Back in 2005 when the emo look was popular, it seemed like it was more acceptable for a guy to be skinny, weak, and feminine. Now, a skinny guy can forget about getting the beautiful leggy blonde clad in a tight dress, heels, and hose.

Subject: Re: Masculinity/femininity more stressed now?

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/21/15 at 10:04 am

I thought that we were going beyond the masculine/feminine construct.

Let's embrace simply "minine" in which nobody has to be fem or masc.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/15 at 10:33 am

It's the 1980s all over again.

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/21/15 at 1:23 pm

It's the 1980s all over again.

Really? The 1980s were androgynous, not gender-partisan. That was the '90s. Here is a really old article from 2000:

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/17/style/17iht-fash.t_0.html

"Are the 1980s — broad shoulders, boss women and tough chic — really coming back to haunt us? After a brief interregnum of kinder, gentler, girly fashion, the stark message at the end of the four-week international fashion season was that butch is beautiful."

I also have photos of my aunts from the '80s (my mom was young then too, but she only has pictures of herself from the very beginning and the very end), often times hanging out with their male friends, and the teased long hair caught on with men around 1986. Soon all the guys were looking like Jon Bon Jovi!  8-P

Regarding the topic, it depends. I'm pretty skinny, but I'm well liked among the girls because of my sense of humor. But yeah, I see what you're saying, experiencing it first-hand. A lot of guys that I know at work are obsessed with working out, and their Facebook pages show off pictures of them proving it. I honestly don't think much of it, although perhaps it's not very classy.

Oh, and LyricBoy, we will never go beyond the masculine/feminine construct. I like to be able to tell who is a girl and who is a guy thank you very much.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/21/15 at 2:02 pm

I don't think it's changed that much. In the 2000s there were the preppy jocks who generally wore A&F, American Eagle, etc and for them masculinity was a big deal. Today, that niche is filled by the Affliction-wearing dudebros. Emo and scene kids didn't place as much emphasis on gender conformity and they have become modern hipsters.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/21/15 at 2:22 pm

Really? The 1980s were androgynous, not gender-partisan. That was the '90s. Here is a really old article from 2000:

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/17/style/17iht-fash.t_0.html

"Are the 1980s — broad shoulders, boss women and tough chic — really coming back to haunt us? After a brief interregnum of kinder, gentler, girly fashion, the stark message at the end of the four-week international fashion season was that butch is beautiful."

I also have photos of my aunts from the '80s (my mom was young then too, but she only has pictures of herself from the very beginning and the very end), often times hanging out with their male friends, and the teased long hair caught on with men around 1986. Soon all the guys were looking like Jon Bon Jovi!  8-P

Regarding the topic, it depends. I'm pretty skinny, but I'm well liked among the girls because of my sense of humor. But yeah, I see what you're saying, experiencing it first-hand. A lot of guys that I know at work are obsessed with working out, and their Facebook pages show off pictures of them proving it. I honestly don't think much of it, although perhaps it's not very classy.

Oh, and LyricBoy, we will never go beyond the masculine/feminine construct. I like to be able to tell who is a girl and who is a guy thank you very much.
Not just guys, but everyone in general. There seems to be a trend to be healthy and fit. It's great to be motivated and energized to be healthy, but it's becoming a problem where it's too extreme. In the past, working out meant getting stronger. Today, it is totally different.  And I agree, guys showing off their muscles or physique to impress others is clearly a sign of being an arrogant D-bag. Some of them should understand that cockiness is a bad quality to have.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/21/15 at 4:42 pm

I see plenty of young women going to the gym, working out, and posting photos of their toned bodies to Instagram and Facebook. I think there's this general gym culture that's affecting men and women, particularly college-aged.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/21/15 at 6:46 pm

Gender is so passé. 

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/22/15 at 1:27 am

Gender is so passé.

Not to me.

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/22/15 at 7:46 am

I've been noticing that with the 2010's Teens (people that have graduated high school in the 2010's),

Fixed.

Check for new replies or respond here...