inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jurassic World gets a sequel

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/15 at 8:43 am

After the news yesterday Jurassic World has now become the third highest-grossing film behind Avatar and Titanic, Universal has announced a sequel.

Chris Pratt fans will be delighted to hear he will be returning as park ranger Owen, along with co-star Bryce Dallas Howard, with the movie slated to be released in June 2018.

Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow, who also wrote the script, will return to pen the sequel.

When we (BBC) spoke to him in June, he hinted what might happen in a second film.

Subject: Re: Jurassic World gets a sequel

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/24/15 at 10:09 am

I wonder if Jurassic Park is going to get a re-release in the near future?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/15 at 10:12 am

I wonder if Jurassic Park is going to get a re-release in the near future?
From wiki:

"Following a re-release in 2011, and a 3D reissue in 2013 to celebrate its 20th anniversary, Jurassic Park became the 17th film to surpass $1 billion in ticket sales, and is currently one of the highest-grossing films of all time."

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/24/15 at 10:19 am

From wiki:

"Following a re-release in 2011, and a 3D reissue in 2013 to celebrate its 20th anniversary, Jurassic Park became the 17th film to surpass $1 billion in ticket sales, and is currently one of the highest-grossing films of all time."

Okay then. Will it get a special DVD/Blu-Ray re-release?

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/25/15 at 7:27 am

I hope they bring back the John Hammond role for the sequel.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/15 at 8:45 am

I hope they bring back the John Hammond role for the sequel.
The role of John Hammond was played by Sir Richard Attenborough, who has passed on.

In Jurassic World, his character is honoured with a statue, assuming that JH has now gone, unless they have his DNA and bring him back like the dinosaurs.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/25/15 at 1:02 pm

The role of John Hammond was played by Sir Richard Attenborough, who has passed on.

In Jurassic World, his character is honoured with a statue, assuming that JH has now gone, unless they have his DNA and bring him back like the dinosaurs.

Well of course.  This is the Jurassic Park franchise after all.  In the sequel, they could open up a time capsule that Hammond left instructions not to open for five years (with the idea that by then, cloning technology could be extended to human DNA).  The scientists then clone Hammond and through the twists and turns of cloning law, he retakes possession of Jurassic Park.

But as always, things go awry and when they clone the new Hammond, somebody forgot to clean the test tube and his DNA gets mixed in with some velociraptor stuff.  As Hammond ages his feet start to metamorphisize into claws, a complication that at first he hides from his colleagues.  But eventually it gets out of control and he starts attacking the guests at JP, with all sorts of mayhem ensuing.

True, Richard Attenborough is gone, but the role could be done either with animatronics or computer-generated graphics.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/15 at 1:03 pm

Animatronics is no substitute for the real thing.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/25/15 at 1:28 pm

Animatronics is no substitute for the real thing.

But in the case of a man growing velociraptor claws (and eventually a velociraptor beak), animatronics and CGI would be a necessity.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/15 at 1:31 pm

But in the case of a man growing velociraptor claws (and eventually a velociraptor beak), animatronics and CGI would be a necessity.
That can be done, but the true image of John Hammond will not work.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/15 at 2:12 pm

some kids would be fooled.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/15 at 2:14 pm

It is not only children that watch these films.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/25/15 at 2:36 pm

CGI has come a long way. I guy from my school has 4 Oscars for his CGI work. I bet he could do this project.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/15 at 2:37 pm

CGI has come a long way. I guy from my school has 4 Oscars for his CGI work. I bet he could do this project.
Would the Attenborough Estate appreciate it?

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/25/15 at 4:20 pm

Would the Attenborough Estate appreciate it?

Oh I imagine a deal could be worked out.  Of course since the sequel of which I describe involves a clone of Dr. Hammond, they could make the CGI version look just slightly different than the original, and then run that "Any similarity to actual persons living or dead is strictly coincidental" disclaimer when the credits run.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/25/15 at 4:30 pm

I don't really think kids today know who John Hammond was before seeing Jurassic World. Unless their parents let them saw the first Jurassic Park movie.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/15 at 2:27 am

I don't really think kids today know who John Hammond was before seeing Jurassic World. Unless their parents let them saw the first Jurassic Park movie.
They may have seen "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" on television.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/15 at 1:34 pm

It is not only children that watch these films.

also adults too.

Check for new replies or respond here...