inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2010's is the NEO 90's (Proof inside)

Written By: the2001 on 07/29/15 at 11:21 am

Has anyone noticed that this decade started morphing into the 1990's around 2012
or so?

Fuller House

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CK8jUS0VEAQdasH.jpg

JURASSIC WORLD

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/jurassicworldlogo_0.png
Girl Meets World

https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/135293_0402_ful.jpg?w=514

Married with children is coming back  (if you read the news)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/09/10/article-2750039-2138B9B500000578-526_636x536.jpg

X-Files new season is coming to fox

http://cdn.crossmap.com/images/2/77/27775.jpg
Those annoying Nirvana t shirts and people who dont know who they are
Men in Black 3 came out
Toy story 3
Scream the TV show on mtv
Tv finally back  ( Walking Dead, True detective, Game of Thrones, Girls)  and every network now putting in effort into scripted shows
set by HBO

Dragon Ball Super
Iggys song Fancy being song of the decade & parodying CLUELESS
Resentment against Yuppie culture
Space Jam 2 has been green lit by WB and will feature Lebron JAmes
(It is actually happening this time )

So what does everyone think?

Subject: Re: The 2010's is the NEO 90's (Proof inside)

Written By: bchris02 on 07/29/15 at 12:08 pm

There is a huge effort right now to capitalize on '90s nostalgia.  Not all of it will be successful though.  While Jurrassic World was a huge hit, I have my doubts about bringing the X-files back.  It was absolutely horrible during its last few seasons.  I also don't think Space Jam 2 is a good idea. Some things were great in the '90s but should stay there.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/29/15 at 12:10 pm

It's 90's nostalgia, nothing more. Happens every decade, the 2nd last decade becomes missed and there are a lot of comebacks from that time period.

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/29/15 at 12:47 pm

I wouldn't say these things contribute to the 2010s becoming a "neo-'90s". It's just natural for nostalgia to revive things from the past, introducing them to a newer generation who didn't get to experience it the first time around.

I think it's too soon to evaluate. In 1996 and 1997 however, you could definitely say the '90s were becoming a neo-'70s. Same with the '80s 10 yeas earlier. 1986 is when REM and U2 started to become cool, so the 1960's were coming back then. I would argue though that '70s nostalgia was further along in 1996 than '60s nostalgia was in 1986.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/15 at 1:39 pm

I wouldn't mind "Fuller House" and a new episode of "Married With Children".

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 1:54 pm

Like what everybody is saying about the 2010s being the neo-90s, it just happens every decade. It could happen with the 2000s in the 2020s. Also, I might say that HBO was at its peak in the 2000s due to their original programming being popular like The Sopranos. So, I bet HBO would have several reunions for their older shows in the near future.

Written By: 97er on 07/30/15 at 2:55 pm

Hmmmm...some people think the 10s are kind of like 80s because of all the synth in music and some of the fashion.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/15 at 3:00 pm

Hmmmm...some people think the 10s are kind of like 80s because of all the synth in music and some of the fashion.
...minus the Internet?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 3:21 pm

??? How are the 80s similar to the 2010s? We have so much sheesh today that can be comparable to the 90s, especially with the reboots on movies that were popular in the 90s.

Written By: 97er on 07/30/15 at 3:26 pm

??? How are the 80s similar to the 2010s? We have so much sheesh today that can be comparable to the 90s, especially with the reboots on movies that were popular in the 90s.

I read an article about it. I only agree that the music is very synth like the 80s.

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/30/15 at 3:55 pm

Definitely not true about the fashion and hairstyles. My parents were young in the '80s, and I have seen several pictures of them by themselves (and with their friends) from that time. '80s fashion was loose-fitting, pleated, and super tapered. Also, the men's shorts were ridiculously short, like, hot pants for guys short! Also, massive shoulder pads ruled the '80s, which came back in the mid aughts.

Synthesizers are declining anyway, but nothing compelling enough has come along to replace them.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 4:02 pm

I read an article about it. I only agree that the music is very synth like the 80s.

The music today? All they do with music today is mix sounds with dubstep-like noises. It doesn't even sound similar to the 80s with the analog synthesizers.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/15 at 7:09 am

The music today? All they do with music today is mix sounds with dubstep-like noises. It doesn't even sound similar to the 80s with the analog synthesizers.

This is why I don't like today's music.

Written By: XYkid on 07/31/15 at 8:06 am

The reason why people are more nostalgic than ever for the 90s is because the 80s and early 90s had a very high birth rate, all of these were children during the 90s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/31/15 at 8:16 am

The reason why people are more nostalgic than ever for the 90s is because the 80s and early 90s had a very high birth rate, all of these were children during the 90s.

Wow. I didn't know a lot of people wanted a baby in the 80s and early 90s. Too bad they can't stop them when they brag about their childhood.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/31/15 at 8:29 am

I actually see the 2010s as the new 1960s.  You can draw comparisons to other decades, as well, but the very feel of this era has so far most directly echoed the 60s, for me at least.

The national headlines have been dominated by civil rights movements, which had been building during the preceding decade but were mostly overshadowed by a xenophobic atmosphere at the time.  The onset of the Great Recession was to the 2010s what the JFK assassination was to the 60s - it killed off people's general sense of security and drove them away from their suburban utopia and into the growing counterculture of the day.  Hipsters, obviously, are the 2010s' answer to 60s hippies.  The 60s were dominated by African American and women's rights, but the 2010s can extend those categories to also include other racial minorities, as well as the LGBTQ community (Stonewall happened only at the end of the 60s).

Technology also began to transform people's lives in similar ways during both decades; just as television had existed in the 50s and late 40s, the Internet had been around in the 2000s and late 90s, but it wasn't until the 60s and 2010s, respectively, that both mediums evolved from predominantly entertainment outlets into instruments of social rallies.

Music also changed quite drastically in both the 2010s, as well as the 1960s; Lady Gaga's debut may not have rocked the world in quite the same way as the Beatles' arrival in America, but both pioneered a new musical movement that sounded quite different from what preceded them.  While the 10s and 60s are night and day when it comes to overall quality of music, at least by general consensus, they saw music evolve in similar ways.  Actually, the indie rock bands of today are pretty similar to all of the experimental psychedelic bands of the 60s like The Doors, Sgt. Pepper's-era Beatles, and Jimi Hendrix.  Most of what was on the charts in the 60s was Motown and other pop, anyway, not just the classic rock & roll.

Obviously, the half-centaury difference in time causes the 60s and 2010s to actually feel quite different as a whole, but in terms of general patterns in politics and popular culture, the 2010s are pretty much the modern equivalent of the 60s.

Written By: Arrowstone on 07/31/15 at 4:36 pm

I don't find the abundance of synths strange; it's the house and dance music too that is back.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 08/02/15 at 9:22 am

I don't find the abundance of synths strange; it's the house and dance music too that is back.

Yes, in the last year I've been hearing a lot of piano-based dance music on the radio, which would have sounded right at home in the 90s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/04/15 at 10:13 pm

I actually see the 2010s as the new 1960s.  You can draw comparisons to other decades, as well, but the very feel of this era has so far most directly echoed the 60s, for me at least.

The national headlines have been dominated by civil rights movements, which had been building during the preceding decade but were mostly overshadowed by a xenophobic atmosphere at the time.  The onset of the Great Recession was to the 2010s what the JFK assassination was to the 60s - it killed off people's general sense of security and drove them away from their suburban utopia and into the growing counterculture of the day.  Hipsters, obviously, are the 2010s' answer to 60s hippies.  The 60s were dominated by African American and women's rights, but the 2010s can extend those categories to also include other racial minorities, as well as the LGBTQ community (Stonewall happened only at the end of the 60s).

Technology also began to transform people's lives in similar ways during both decades; just as television had existed in the 50s and late 40s, the Internet had been around in the 2000s and late 90s, but it wasn't until the 60s and 2010s, respectively, that both mediums evolved from predominantly entertainment outlets into instruments of social rallies.

Music also changed quite drastically in both the 2010s, as well as the 1960s; Lady Gaga's debut may not have rocked the world in quite the same way as the Beatles' arrival in America, but both pioneered a new musical movement that sounded quite different from what preceded them.  While the 10s and 60s are night and day when it comes to overall quality of music, at least by general consensus, they saw music evolve in similar ways.  Actually, the indie rock bands of today are pretty similar to all of the experimental psychedelic bands of the 60s like The Doors, Sgt. Pepper's-era Beatles, and Jimi Hendrix.  Most of what was on the charts in the 60s was Motown and other pop, anyway, not just the classic rock & roll.

Obviously, the half-centaury difference in time causes the 60s and 2010s to actually feel quite different as a whole, but in terms of general patterns in politics and popular culture, the 2010s are pretty much the modern equivalent of the 60s.

In all honesty if you take away the race issues, then this decade doesn't fee like the 60s AT ALL to me! It feels like the 70s, economic issues, unpopular presidents, escapist music, america's best days are behind em. etc. etc.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/05/15 at 12:30 am

In all honesty if you take away the race issues, then this decade doesn't fee like the 60s AT ALL to me! It feels like the 70s, economic issues, unpopular presidents, escapist music, america's best days are behind em. etc. etc.

Again though, it's more than just race issues.  The Internet and TV going from groundbreaking entertainment in the late 90s + 2000s and late 40s + 50s, respectively, to sociopolitical launchpads in the 2010s and 60s is one, the millennials/Baby Boomers' rebellion against the patriotic facade of the previous decade is another, then there's hipsters being the 2010s' hippies, popular culture in general becoming much more cosmopolitan, in spite of the continuation of escapist entertainment (the 60s weren't just about John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, and MLK; the decade also had things like The Flintstones, The Adam West Batman series, and The Monkees), and many other little parallels.  I also wouldn't describe the 60s as being optimistic, at least not after JFK was assassinated.  Besides, the 70s were defined largely by the backlash against social movements, rather than the numerous successes achieved for African Americans, women, and other minorities (though the gay rights movement did start gaining some momentum, before the AIDS epidemic struck in the early 80s).

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/18/15 at 9:33 pm

I'd like to see '90s style music to come back..

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/18/15 at 9:54 pm

I'd like to see '90s style music to come back..

Didn't you say earlier that you heard a lot of early 90s music coming back in the early 2010s? I think they're going to do the same thing with mid 90s music right now.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/18/15 at 10:02 pm

Didn't you say earlier that you heard a lot of early 90s music coming back in the early 2010s? I think they're going to do the same thing with mid 90s music right now.

A vague influence of it yes. But I want something more obvious and straight-forward, akin to what they did with '70s influences in the mid-late '90s. I want rock to come back!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/18/15 at 10:22 pm

A vague influence of it yes. But I want something more obvious and straight-forward, akin to what they did with '70s influences in the mid-late '90s. I want rock to come back!

Okay yeah, I can get that. But I don't really think the 2010s would revive rock music sooner or later. Like I said a dozen of times, this decade is always filled with forgettable pop music. There was a few pop revivals from the 2000s like Britney Spears with her 2013 song, but that's about it.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 08/21/15 at 7:12 pm

Has anyone noticed that this decade started morphing into the 1990's around 2012
or so?

Fuller House

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CK8jUS0VEAQdasH.jpg

JURASSIC WORLD

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/jurassicworldlogo_0.png
Girl Meets World

https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/135293_0402_ful.jpg?w=514

Married with children is coming back  (if you read the news)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/09/10/article-2750039-2138B9B500000578-526_636x536.jpg

X-Files new season is coming to fox

http://cdn.crossmap.com/images/2/77/27775.jpg
Those annoying Nirvana t shirts and people who dont know who they are
Men in Black 3 came out
Toy story 3
Scream the TV show on mtv
Tv finally back  ( Walking Dead, True detective, Game of Thrones, Girls)  and every network now putting in effort into scripted shows
set by HBO

Dragon Ball Super
Iggys song Fancy being song of the decade & parodying CLUELESS
Resentment against Yuppie culture
Space Jam 2 has been green lit by WB and will feature Lebron JAmes
(It is actually happening this time )

So what does everyone think?

It's only just begun.  :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/21/15 at 7:29 pm

It's only just begun.  :)

??? This decade already revived stuff from the 90s since 2012. How is it possible that it only began, unless that was some joke or something.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/22/15 at 6:20 am

This is coming out next year:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/The_Powerpuff_Girls_(2016)_promotional_poster.jpg

No, not even cartoons are immune to the 90s media revival craze.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/15 at 6:59 am

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/The_Powerpuff_Girls_(2016)_promotional_poster.jpg

A new Powerpuff girls cartoon? :o

Written By: #Infinity on 08/24/15 at 5:21 am

A new Powerpuff girls cartoon? :o

Yep. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Powerpuff_Girls_(2016_TV_series)

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/24/15 at 6:11 am

Wow!
But will it have the same atmosphere? If I zap along the cartoon channels, the humor is so different than in the 90s.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 08/24/15 at 1:17 pm

??? This decade already revived stuff from the 90s since 2012. How is it possible that it only began, unless that was some joke or something.

You'll see in time what I'm talking about.

The '80s revival began in 2002, but shows set in the '80s can still be found on the tube today, such as The Goldbergs. Do I need to bring up the fifth theatrical installment of the National Lampoon's Vacation film series for you to get my point?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/15 at 3:00 pm

You'll see in time what I'm talking about.

The '80s revival began in 2002, but shows set in the '80s can still be found on the tube today, such as The Goldbergs. Do I need to bring up the fifth theatrical installment of the National Lampoon's Vacation film series for you to get my point?

No.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/24/15 at 3:44 pm

Wow!
But will it have the same atmosphere? If I zap along the cartoon channels, the humor is so different than in the 90s.

Well, the original show was extremely ahead of its time when it came out, even if a big part of that blended in with the whole girl power movement of the millennial era, reflected also by things like the Spice Girls and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  The biggest difference with this incarnation of the show so far is that the voice actresses who originally voiced the Powerpuff Girls are being replaced, even though the rest of the 1998 series' cast is returning.  Otherwise, the show's progressively ironic premise would probably fit in pretty comfortably with media trends of today, especially with the success of Frozen and its emphasis on sisterly love.  The only truly outdated thing would be the character Him, due to the fact that he's too much of a hostile LGBT stereotype by today's standards.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/24/15 at 3:51 pm

A pretty weak example;I've said this before, Powerpuff girls was mainly a millennium era thing. It was a VERY late 90s and early 00s kid thing. People our age were into it. It never was a quintessential 90s thing like X files and Jurassic Park. But yes, I can't wait till this current gen of kids see this!

Written By: mqg96 on 08/24/15 at 3:59 pm

Well, the original show was extremely ahead of its time when it came out, even if a big part of that blended in with the whole girl power movement of the millennial era, reflected also by things like the Spice Girls and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  The biggest difference with this incarnation of the show so far is that the voice actresses who originally voiced the Powerpuff Girls are being replaced, even though the rest of the 1998 series' cast is returning.  Otherwise, the show's progressively ironic premise would probably fit in pretty comfortably with media trends of today, especially with the success of Frozen and its emphasis on sisterly love.  The only truly outdated thing would be the character Him, due to the fact that he's too much of a hostile LGBT stereotype by today's standards.

I heard about that too. Reruns of Powerpuff Girls had still aired Boomerang for awhile well after the rebrand, probably due to advertisement for the new upcoming one. The Powerpuff Girls actually had its pilots around the early to mid 90's, before it became a series in 1998. But yeah as Eazy-EMAN1995 mentioned the Powerpuff Girls was definitely more of a millennial late 90's/early 2000's thing. Heck the Powerpuff Girls first full year on Cartoon Network regularly was 1999, since it premiered towards the very end of 1998 (November). Most of its run was in the entire early 2000's.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/24/15 at 4:04 pm

The biggest difference with this incarnation of the show so far is that the voice actresses who originally voiced the Powerpuff Girls are being replaced, even though the rest of the 1998 series' cast is returning. 

That's disgusting!!!! >:( >:( >:(  It's not the powerpuff girls without Catherine,Tara, and E.G.!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/15 at 5:36 pm

That's disgusting!!!! >:( >:( >:(  It's not the powerpuff girls without Catherine,Tara, and E.G.!

Why should you care? It's not like the PPG would be inferior if Tara, Catherine and E.G. wasn't going to voice the girls in the reboot. Can't we just enjoy the show without ONE complaint about the voice actors? I'm really okay with it and I seriously don't care about that problem.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/24/15 at 5:49 pm

Why should you care? It's not like the PPG would be inferior if Tara, Catherine and E.G. wasn't going to voice the girls in the reboot. Can't we just enjoy the show without ONE complaint about the voice actors? I'm really okay with it and I seriously don't care about that problem.

First of all, Calm down bro ;D , I was just a little surprised. Second, I feel they brought life to those characters! I'm wonder how they are going to try to duplicate it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/15 at 6:01 pm

First of all, Calm down bro ;D , I was just a little surprised. Second, I feel they brought life to those characters! I'm wonder how they are going to try to duplicate it.

Well, it's not like they Catherine, E.G and Tara should be the only voice actors for the girls. It's not really a big deal.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/24/15 at 6:19 pm

Yeah, I understand how you feel. It has a special place in our hearts because we witnessed brand new episodes and replays of the Powerpuff Girls back in Cartoon Network's prime when the original voice cast were doing it regularly. Great point that they did bring life to those characters. Ashamed that the show was cancelled around early 2005 since the quality of episodes had dropped throughout the final season. However, I could understand that pain because the original voice cast did the last two specials (2009 & 2014), but then out of no where it's announced that they're not returning to the revived series. Which is somewhat surprising after they voiced those two specials but at the same time not surprising with Cartoon Network's decisions lately. I heard that it was Cartoon Network's choice that they wanted new voice actors, because they wanted some new fresh young adult girls to do it. Maybe it's for the money or budget issues idk. I mean I honestly don't see how the original voice cast wouldn't want to voice their own home characters since they've been used to doing it all these years.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/24/15 at 8:13 pm

I've heard that Cathy Cavadini, Tara Strong, and E.G. Daily are all extremely upset about the recasting of the titular heroes, especially as none of them were even offered the parts at all.  Since the rest of the 1998 cast is returning, the situation is basically equivalent to being fired, as if there was never any real camaraderie between the three of them and the rest of the people who worked on the show (though Craig McCracken isn't involved in the revival), all because "they're too old."

A pretty weak example;I've said this before, Powerpuff girls was mainly a millennium era thing. It was a VERY late 90s and early 00s kid thing. People our age were into it. It never was a quintessential 90s thing like X files and Jurassic Park. But yes, I can't wait till this current gen of kids see this!

Well, the millennial era is still usually lumped with the 90s decade as a whole, isn't it?  The show's best episodes were made in 1998-2001, anyway, and not many people even saw the movie when it came out in 2002.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/15 at 8:20 pm

I've heard that Cathy Cavadini, Tara Strong, and E.G. Daily are all extremely upset about the recasting of the titular heroes, especially as none of them were even offered the parts at all.  Since the rest of the 1998 cast is returning, the situation is basically equivalent to being fired, as if there was never any real camaraderie between the three of them and the rest of the people who worked on the show (though Craig McCracken isn't involved in the revival), all because "they're too old."

Well, the millennial era is still usually lumped with the 90s decade as a whole, isn't it?  The show's best episodes were made in 1998-2001, anyway, and not many people even saw the movie when it came out in 2002.

Why are you people all upset over a few voice changes? I'm really okay with having three young girls, who are in their early twenties, voicing the girls in the reboot.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/24/15 at 8:31 pm

Why are you people all upset over a few voice changes? I'm really okay with having three young girls, who are in their early twenties, voicing the girls in the reboot.

It's not just us who are upset about the changes, it's actually the voice actresses themselves who are the most devastated about it. http://www.awn.com/news/original-voice-actors-left-cold-powerpuff-girls-reboot

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/24/15 at 8:35 pm

Yeah the millennium era is considered the FINAL hurrah of the 90s decade. However some say it is it's own distinct period. It causes confusion among people. That's probably the main reason why people say their 90s kids when they are actually millennium era kids.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/24/15 at 8:39 pm

It's not just us who are upset about the changes, it's actually the voice actresses themselves who are the most devastated about it. http://www.awn.com/news/original-voice-actors-left-cold-powerpuff-girls-reboot

Can't anybody just enjoy the show without getting upset over stupid voice changes?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/25/15 at 9:37 pm

Yeah the millennium era is considered the FINAL hurrah of the 90s decade. However some say it is it's own distinct period. It causes confusion among people. That's probably the main reason why people say their 90s kids when they are actually millennium era kids.

I'm in the second category. The Millennial era was just its own era of culture. I would say the mid 97-mid 01 section was leaning more on the 90's side (aka, the true late 90's), and the late 01-early 04 section was leaning more on the 00's side (true early 00's). But nonetheless it was its own era with own cultural refrences, tv shows, movies, music, video games, etc.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/25/15 at 10:58 pm

Well, some might be okay with this, since they probably watch the original show on Boomerang. Hell, there might be a chance that they watched the 2014 special, since it's not that old.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/26/15 at 8:20 am

I'm in the second category. The Millennial era was just its own era of culture. I would say the mid 97-mid 01 section was leaning more on the 90's side (aka, the true late 90's), and the late 01-early 04 section was leaning more on the 00's side (true early 00's). But nonetheless it was its own era with own cultural refrences, tv shows, movies, music, video games, etc.

The millenium era was more towards the 2000's side with a 90's blend. 1997 is very much 90's and not part of it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/26/15 at 8:32 am

The millenium era was more towards the 2000's side with a 90's blend. 1997 is very much 90's and not part of it.

Makes sense. The millennium era seems like the 90s were dying at the time.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/26/15 at 8:33 am

Makes sense. The millennium era seems like the 90s were dying at the time.

Because they were!  :D

Written By: Tiger on 09/13/15 at 2:58 pm

Born in 92,I would definitely say I am mostly a millenial kid as well. I think for kids a definitive moment of the millenium era was the original explosion of POKEMON!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/13/15 at 3:05 pm

Born in 92,I would definitely say I am mostly a millenial kid as well. I think for kids a definitive moment of the millenium era was the original explosion of POKEMON!

This is very true! Pokemon was everywhere in the late 90's/early 00's. Brings back great memories  :D

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/21/15 at 12:56 pm

Another way the 2010s is shaping up to be like the 1990s is racial tensions. People refuse to acknowledge it, trying to make the decade seem like a perfectly acceptable time where people of different races lived in harmony, but that's not true. The 1992 Los Angeles riots? That was sparked in April when Rodney King was brutally beaten by police officers; the black community was enraged. I wasn't born until over three years later, but researching it gives me a good perspective of the whole thing. It was crazy. Property was constantly being destroyed (both public and private). Black locals would pull out random white people and beat them in the worst possible way. It resulted in 53 deaths and over 2,000 injured people. Over 11,000 were arrested. I doubt I even know the whole story about what sparked this whole thing.

The problems didn't stop there. It continued into the mid '90s. I don't know about the early '00s, but surely the late '90s had the same issues as the rest of the decade. The 2010s have proven to be similar. The controversial 2012 death of Trayvon Martin kickstarted the race-based social issues we are struggling with now. It didn't help that The Hunger Games movie unintentionally provoked the extremely racist people to come out and bluntly state that they didn't feel bad for Ruth dying because she was black when they thought she was white in the book. Ugh. People are so stupid and evil! They're ruining it for everyone else!!!

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/21/15 at 1:36 pm

This is very true! Pokemon was everywhere in the late 90's/early 00's. Brings back great memories  :D

The '90s were the time of the Gameboy:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120123231635/powerlisting/images/b/bd/Gameboy_Captain_N.jpg

Gameboy on Captain N: The Game Master

https://gamesrevisiteddotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/kirby-dream-land-game-boy.jpg

Kirby's Dream Land in 1992

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Game-Boy-Pocket-Black.jpg

Gameboy Pocket (1996)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Nintendo-Game-Boy-Color-FL.jpg

Gameboy Color (1998)

http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1999/1101991122_400.jpg

Pokemania (1999 - The year the '90s were leading up to)

The pocket monsters (Pokemon) were obviously a rip-off of Kirby, but that's another story for a different day.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/15 at 3:21 pm

The '90s were the time of the Gameboy:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120123231635/powerlisting/images/b/bd/Gameboy_Captain_N.jpg

Gameboy on Captain N: The Game Master

https://gamesrevisiteddotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/kirby-dream-land-game-boy.jpg

Kirby's Dream Land in 1992

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Game-Boy-Pocket-Black.jpg

Gameboy Pocket (1996)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Nintendo-Game-Boy-Color-FL.jpg

Gameboy Color (1998)

http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1999/1101991122_400.jpg

Pokemania (1999 - The year the '90s were leading up to)

The pocket monsters (Pokemon) were obviously a rip-off of Kirby, but that's another story for a different day.

I had a Gameboy and now it's stored in a small box safe and sound.

Check for new replies or respond here...