inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will the '90s nostalgia continue for at least another few years?

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/03/15 at 11:03 am

Do you think the '90s nostalgia in terms of films, and fashion will continue for another few years?
Right now I think we're still in early 90s nostalgia right? If so, what years would you see 'mid 90s nostalgia' and 'late 90s nostalgia' kicking in fashion wise?

Subject: Re: Will the '90s nostalgia continue for at least another few years?

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/03/15 at 1:05 pm

Of course. People didn't start becoming nostalgic for the 1990s in mainstream media until late 2012, and that was mostly on the internet. While it may be loud online, it has barely caught on in the real world. Heck, it's only just now that you're seeing it in real life.

I also notice it's starting to shift back to what was popular among Generation X and is focusing less on Millennials, because Generation X was in their teens and early 20's in the 1990's whereas Millennials were just kids back then.

Written By: Howard on 08/03/15 at 1:26 pm

Do you think the '90s nostalgia in terms of films, and fashion will continue for another few years?
Right now I think we're still in early 90s nostalgia right? If so, what years would you see 'mid 90s nostalgia' and 'late 90s nostalgia' kicking in fashion wise?

I think it will continue for another few more years then it will die off.

Written By: 97er on 08/03/15 at 1:39 pm

Meh, I don't really care for 90s nostalgia. Can't wait for late 2000s nostalgia in the 2020s though  8)

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/03/15 at 2:24 pm

I would say 90's nostalgia will last for another 3 or 4 years.

Around 2019 or 2020, 2000's nostalgia will start to become big, heck theres already a lot of early 00's nostalgia right now. However when we get to 2020 the early & mid 00's will be equally nostalgic to people because the year 2000 will be 20 years at that point and 2006 will be 14 years at that point.

The late 00's/early 10's will probably become nostalgic around 2024ish similar to how the late 90's/early 00's became nostalgic just a year ago.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 2:32 pm

People have already been nostalgic over the 90s (mostly the early 90s) since the mid 2000s. People have been already nostalgic over the late 90s and early 2000s since 2012. Hell, you can even tell that 2000s nostalgia has been kicking in with Buzzfeed making so much nostalgic articles about the early and mid 2000s. They're only nostalgic to the late 90s, for god's sakes.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 2:36 pm

Meh, I don't really care for 90s nostalgia. Can't wait for late 2000s nostalgia in the 2020s though  8)

Yeah, me too. But I think people would get nostalgic over the late 2000s at the end of the 2010s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 3:27 pm

I would say 90's nostalgia will last for another 3 or 4 years.

Around 2019 or 2020, 2000's nostalgia will start to become big, heck theres already a lot of early 00's nostalgia right now. However when we get to 2020 the early & mid 00's will be equally nostalgic to people because the year 2000 will be 20 years at that point and 2006 will be 14 years at that point.

The late 00's/early 10's will probably become nostalgic around 2024ish similar to how the late 90's/early 00's became nostalgic just a year ago.

Weren't people already nostalgic for the late 90s/early 2000s since 2012? Hell, we even have people praising the mid 2000s since 2014.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/03/15 at 4:03 pm

Weren't people already nostalgic for the late 90s/early 2000s since 2012? Hell, we even have people praising the mid 2000s since 2014.

It probably existed but was nowhere as big as it is now. For instance 90's nostalgia started around 2005 or 2006 but it was only the early part at that point and even then it wasn't that big. Most people were still wrapped up with 80's nostalgia back then. However by 2008 it was safe to say that the early 90's were starting to become retro. Mid 90's nostalgia first emerged around 2007/8 but wasn't big until 2011. Late 90's nostalgia began around 2012 but didn't get big until 2014 and its probably has yet to get to its full potential. Basically when a certain era is or almost 20 years old it starts to enter its peak when it comes to nostalgia. So if I had to guess, the early 00's will enter its peak in nostalgia around 2017, mid 00's around 2020, and late 00's around 2024.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 4:13 pm

It probably existed but was nowhere as big as it is now. For instance 90's nostalgia started around 2005 or 2006 but it was only the early part at that point and even then it wasn't that big. Most people were still wrapped up with 80's nostalgia back then. However by 2008 it was safe to say that the early 90's were starting to become retro. Mid 90's nostalgia first emerged around 2007/8 but wasn't big until 2011. Late 90's nostalgia began around 2012 but didn't get big until 2014 and its probably has yet to get to its full potential. Basically when a certain era is or almost 20 years old it starts to enter its peak when it comes to nostalgia. So if I had to guess, the early 00's will enter its peak in nostalgia around 2017, mid 00's around 2020, and late 00's around 2024.

I guess that makes sense. But there's a lot of people out there on the Internet who praises the early 2000s. Look up "early 2000s" on Google or whatever search engine you use, and tell me if it isn't big as 90s nostalgia.

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/03/15 at 4:17 pm

But is the early '90s still "in"?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 4:22 pm

But is the early '90s still "in"?

There are only a few people on the Internet who still talks about the early 90s. Besides, it wasn't as big in the late 2000s.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/03/15 at 4:44 pm

I don't even think there's nearly as much nostalgia for the 90s in the 2010s as there was, say, 50s nostalgia in the 70s/early 80s or 70s nostalgia in the 90s.  The overbearingly synthetic music of today bears absolutely no resemblance to the solid balance of acoustic and electric in the 90s, nobody has bowl cuts, Rachels, or DiCaprio-style curtained hair; and the cynical, PC mood of today stands in contrast to the casual, optimistic, and uncertain atmosphere of the 90s.  By contrast, in the 70s, Happy Days was one of the most popular television shows of the decade, Grease and American Graffiti were two of the most definitive films of the era, and the country was in the midst of a dark period, with people increasingly missing the "family values" utopia of the 50s.  The full-on nostalgia continued into the early 80s, which had movies like Porky's, as well as Billy Joel's hugely successful An Innocent Man album (which was also early 60s nostalgia, keeping true to the 20-year cycle).  In the 90s, popular music integrated a lot of influences from the 70s, including the guitar rock sound of bands like Gin Blossoms and Dave Matthews echoing the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, contemporary r&b and pop returning to the gospel-infused Motown sound of the day, and even interpolations of 70s tracks being the primary foundation for several hit songs.  There was also the movie Dazed and Confused, which was set in 1976.  90s nostalgia in the 2010s has not had nearly the same magnitude as what came before.  The closest it's gotten is a few tepid winks to retro fashion, internet junk, and Frozen being a sort of return to the Disney Renaissance.  The fact that the early 2000s are already starting to garner a lot of discussion just points to how obtuse the nostalgic cycle has become as of late.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 4:55 pm

I don't even think there's nearly as much nostalgia for the 90s in the 2010s as there was, say, 50s nostalgia in the 70s/early 80s or 70s nostalgia in the 90s.  The overbearingly synthetic music of today bears absolutely no resemblance to the solid balance of acoustic and electric in the 90s, nobody has bowl cuts, Rachels, or DiCaprio-style curtained hair; and the cynical, PC mood of today stands in contrast to the casual, optimistic, and uncertain atmosphere of the 90s.  By contrast, in the 70s, Happy Days was one of the most popular television shows of the decade, Grease and American Graffiti were two of the most definitive films of the era, and the country was in the midst of a dark period, with people increasingly missing the "family values" utopia of the 50s.  The full-on nostalgia continued into the early 80s, which had movies like Porky's, as well as Billy Joel's hugely successful An Innocent Man album (which was also early 60s nostalgia, keeping true to the 20-year cycle).  In the 90s, popular music integrated a lot of influences from the 70s, including the guitar rock sound of bands like Gin Blossoms and Dave Matthews echoing the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, contemporary r&b and pop returning to the gospel-infused Motown sound of the day, and even interpolations of 70s tracks being the primary foundation for several hit songs.  There was also the movie Dazed and Confused, which was set in 1976.  90s nostalgia in the 2010s has not had nearly the same magnitude as what came before.  The closest it's gotten is a few tepid winks to retro fashion, internet junk, and Frozen being a sort of return to the Disney Renaissance.  The fact that the early 2000s are already starting to garner a lot of discussion just points to how obtuse the nostalgic cycle has become as of late.

I have to agree with you on that. The late 90s are the only portion of the decade that everyone seems nostalgic about. Hell, even the early 2000s are kinda bigger on the Internet. I don't even think there's a lot of people that talks about the mid 90s, considering that many people loved talking about it, in the late 2000s.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/03/15 at 7:41 pm

When it comes to period nostalgia, it starts off as really small, then it grows over a period of several years. Look at this thread made in 2007:
http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe00s/smf/1195994466.shtml

It discusses '80s nostalgia and it's origins. It creeped in during the mid '90s, and went mainstream in the early '00s. They also say '80s fashion didn't start creeping in until 2005. Mainstream music didn't start replicating the 1980's until about 2005 or 2006. Now, in hindsight, it's pretty obvious the 1980's revival peaked in 2008. Just look at that year! It's so ridiculous it's not even funny.

The internet will always be way ahead of the real world. It doesn't mean the real world is behind, it means that's when the majority of the population is willing to embrace it. So far, almost nothing from the 1990's has come back (although Ed Sheeran's album x sounds '90s inspired). I think we still have a ways to go before it disappears. It's a shame because we could really use that '90s style of music, clothing, attitudes, and television in today's superficial and fake world. This atmosphere clearly started in the 2000's, which is why I don't miss them. There was nothing authentic about the previous decade, and there's nothing authentic about today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/03/15 at 8:35 pm

When it comes to period nostalgia, it starts off as really small, then it grows over a period of several years. Look at this thread made in 2007:
http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe00s/smf/1195994466.shtml

It discusses '80s nostalgia and it's origins. It creeped in during the mid '90s, and went mainstream in the early '00s. They also say '80s fashion didn't start creeping in until 2005. Mainstream music didn't start replicating the 1980's until about 2005 or 2006. Now, in hindsight, it's pretty obvious the 1980's revival peaked in 2008. Just look at that year! It's so ridiculous it's not even funny.

The internet will always be way ahead of the real world. It doesn't mean the real world is behind, it means that's when the majority of the population is willing to embrace it. So far, almost nothing from the 1990's has come back (although Ed Sheeran's album x sounds '90s inspired). I think we still have a ways to go before it disappears. It's a shame because we could really use that '90s style of music, clothing, attitudes, and television in today's superficial and fake world. This atmosphere clearly started in the 2000's, which is why I don't miss them. There was nothing authentic about the previous decade, and there's nothing authentic about today.

Let me guess, 9/11 ruined America and therefore made the country terrible. My god, get over it already. We've already killed Bin Laden and they don't really give a sheesh about the government tracking down on us because we might "terrorists".

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/03/15 at 9:38 pm

Let me guess, 9/11 ruined America and therefore made the country terrible. My god, get over it already. We've already killed Bin Laden and they don't really give a sheesh about the government tracking down on us because we might "terrorists".

The funny thing is that this guy is around my age and he's acting like a stereotypical 90's kid. SMH

Written By: joeman on 08/03/15 at 10:00 pm

I see 90s nostalgia, but it is most from the pop and feel good music/tv from the era.  I think it is a good idea that people are not nostalgic about the angst and grunge music of the day, because that represented something real and it would look weird and awkward being nostalgic over it.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/04/15 at 2:16 am

I'm not talking about politics. I'm stating that it's been awhile since '90s style pop culture and attitudes have been relevant for awhile, and I want them back. I have no memory of the '90s, nor do I directly remember 9/11 at all. People start new trends (think '00s) in reaction to the old ones (think '90s).

The funny thing is that this guy is around my age and he's acting like a stereotypical 90's kid. SMH

*sigh* "90s kids" are the vocal minority that are very active on the internet. They don't discuss mainstream culture such as live action television shows and music, they talk about cartoons, video games, and movies. Things more typically associated with childhood. My older sister is a '90s kid, and she is indifferent to the 1990's. She very much enjoys 1980's and 2000's popular culture, as she was born in the '80s and was young in the '00s. My older cousins are in the same age range as her and think the same way.

Also, I mention the '90s because since I used my free time to learn more about '90s popular culture I realized it was better than the '00s and today (although I think the '10s are superior to the '00s).

Here's a little story: In 2013, when music was worse than today, I noticed people reviled the '00s. It bothered me. So I took defense to it, and started consuming a bunch of aughts pop culture. All because I didn't like 2013. I argued on other websites that the '00s were better than 2013 (I said 'today' at the time). The habit continued into 2014, but by then my focus had shifted to the early '00s, because I didn't remember them too well. Sometime around June 2014, I decided to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer, because my mom watched the show back then. I started from the very beginning and I fell in love with it instantly. I though to myself "This '90s show is really good, I'm going to dig deeper into the 1990's!" And so I did, and I realized that my '00s obsession was pretty silly. I realized '90s music is more melodically diverse and musically rich than '10s music. Also singers used more of the voices back then instead of just hitting a few notes over and over again in a certain octave. I also realized that the television acting community was vastly inferior in talent to the tv actors of the '90s. The movie actors hold up, but the television just doesn't compare. Books and Movies are great today. On par with the '90s, but music, fashion, and clothing is more important.

Now, I try to appreciate the unfamiliar. Falling in love with the '90s made me appreciate the '60s and '70s more. I went through a brief '80s phase in 2011. I enjoy being a 2010's teen, but I wish the 2010's were better. They're superior to the aughts, but I want them to be on the same level quality-wise as the '70s and '90s. I don't live in the past; I highly respect it.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/04/15 at 2:45 am

I have memories that go back as far as 1995, and I became obsessed with Nintendo in the summer of 1998, but I was really more of a 2000s kid, with more emphasis on the early part of the decade, since I started getting into more obscure things in 2005 and especially 2006/2007.

Because of how much I despise the mid-2010s, I have major, major nostalgia for previous eras, particularly the 80s and 90s.  The two decades may not have been as ahead of the curve on social issues as today, but the culture was so colorful during both that they seem like much more inviting and attractive worlds to me.  A lot of people hate the 80s for their media being much more "commercial" than the 60s and 70s, but I really just see the period as being a creative renaissance of formulaic music, movies, and other products.  80s pop, for example, may have pretty radio-friendly song structures and melodies, but there's a real edge and passion to most of it that stands above the shallow kitsch of today.  I can easily identify when a song is from the 80s, but I'll get totally addicted to it at the same time.  I also personally enjoy the gated drums and retro synthesizer elements of the day, which the soft, glossy production of today's hits can't match.  I'm also a huge fan of 80s teen flicks like Risky Business, Back to the Future, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and the Breakfast Club; they talked about the insecurities about growing up and just life in general, but did so in an earnest, yet still amusing way, unlike the preachy, cynical comedies of today.

The 90s I like for different reasons, as they were less formulaic and more experimental, yet still really laid-back, quirky, and organic.  They were dominated by technology, but only to the degree that new products were exciting and not intrusive of our everyday happiness, as is the case now.  The decade felt substantially more modern than the 80s (which were already much more advanced than the 70s), but there was actual passion and creativity put into the media that defined the era, unlike today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 10:11 am

I thought ArcticWolf was a 90s kid the whole time. I wonder why his tag line was "Living and breathing the 90s"?

Written By: mqg96 on 08/04/15 at 10:50 am

I thought ArcticWolf was a 90s kid the whole time. I wonder why his tag line was "Living and breathing the 90s"?

LOL ArticWolf, that was hilarious. First off his name is "ArticFox", and second he is definitely a 2000's kid. He just has some different opinions as many other folks in these threads. Go check out his other posts.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 11:03 am

LOL ArticWolf, that was hilarious. First off his name is "ArticFox", and second he is definitely a 2000's kid. He just has some different opinions as many other folks in these threads. Go check out his other posts.

Sorry, it's just that I don't remember some usernames correctly.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/04/15 at 11:38 am

I'm not talking about politics. I'm stating that it's been awhile since '90s style pop culture and attitudes have been relevant for awhile, and I want them back. I have no memory of the '90s, nor do I directly remember 9/11 at all. People start new trends (think '00s) in reaction to the old ones (think '90s).

*sigh* "90s kids" are the vocal minority that are very active on the internet. They don't discuss mainstream culture such as live action television shows and music, they talk about cartoons, video games, and movies. Things more typically associated with childhood. My older sister is a '90s kid, and she is indifferent to the 1990's. She very much enjoys 1980's and 2000's popular culture, as she was born in the '80s and was young in the '00s. My older cousins are in the same age range as her and think the same way.

Also, I mention the '90s because since I used my free time to learn more about '90s popular culture I realized it was better than the '00s and today (although I think the '10s are superior to the '00s).

Here's a little story: In 2013, when music was worse than today, I noticed people reviled the '00s. It bothered me. So I took defense to it, and started consuming a bunch of aughts pop culture. All because I didn't like 2013. I argued on other websites that the '00s were better than 2013 (I said 'today' at the time). The habit continued into 2014, but by then my focus had shifted to the early '00s, because I didn't remember them too well. Sometime around June 2014, I decided to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer, because my mom watched the show back then. I started from the very beginning and I fell in love with it instantly. I though to myself "This '90s show is really good, I'm going to dig deeper into the 1990's!" And so I did, and I realized that my '00s obsession was pretty silly. I realized '90s music is more melodically diverse and musically rich than '10s music. Also singers used more of the voices back then instead of just hitting a few notes over and over again in a certain octave. I also realized that the television acting community was vastly inferior in talent to the tv actors of the '90s. The movie actors hold up, but the television just doesn't compare. Books and Movies are great today. On par with the '90s, but music, fashion, and clothing is more important.

Now, I try to appreciate the unfamiliar. Falling in love with the '90s made me appreciate the '60s and '70s more. I went through a brief '80s phase in 2011. I enjoy being a 2010's teen, but I wish the 2010's were better. They're superior to the aughts, but I want them to be on the same level quality-wise as the '70s and '90s. I don't live in the past; I highly respect it.

Ok well you're entitled to your own opinion

Written By: mqg96 on 08/04/15 at 11:40 am

Sorry, it's just that I don't remember some usernames correctly.

Oh it's all good bruh, sometimes I get typos in my sentences as well. :o

Anyways, in response to this thread, will 90's nostalgia continue for at least another few years? Well, I could come up with tons of scenarios. This whole 90's nostalgia thing, never ending 90's kid debate, the turn of the century and 9/11, the controversial definitions of childhood or when childhood peaks, the analysis of how far 90's culture continued throughout the early 2000's, who really experienced 90's pop culture, was it geared towards kids of the 90's or teens of the 90's, when the 90's really ended and all that, the 2000's really didn't start until 2005 or 2006, blah blah blah, etc. You never heard debates about any other decade go this deep about the 80's, 70's, 60's or below. It's just the 90's nostalgia and culture that has done this. I honestly don't remember being on the internet seeing 80's nostalgia or analysis of who really experienced the 80's, or when did the 80's really end, go as deep as the 90's have done on the internet the last few years. I think that it's unpredictable. Heck you even have some people, actually 2000's kids themselves too, who say that will 2000's nostalgia ever be a thing? I think it will, but we'll have to see in due time. A lot of people who grew up in the 90's (this is not just me from what I heard btw) tend to think that as soon as 9/11 happened or 2004 hit everything geared towards kids or everything music related just died out, or things in life have became overly technologically advanced up to today. Which I disagree with completely. If people keep getting the early 2000's (2000-2003) confused with the 90's decade, then 90's nostalgia will definitely continue for the rest of this decade, but it's been going on too long. Another person told me that 90's nostalgia started on a Myspace page that was made in 2006, and it was made too early which has led to so many misconceptions about this whole 90's thing that's been going on too long.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/04/15 at 11:45 am

My take, I think that the popularity of the internet and social media sites around the late 2000's up to now has been the reason why 90's nostalgia has sky rocketed so high, became noticeable by everyone, and has lasted this long. At the time 80's or 70's nostalgia and before had been going on, I doubt it that the internet was on this level yet or even existed in people's households. That's why you really don't remember seeing nostalgia for the 80's or 70's go as deep as the 90's has done on the internet. I'm not just talking about the 90's nostalgia itself, but people trying to go on deep analysis on how there childhood was like so they could push people out, squeeze their memories in and claim that they really experienced "90's culture" because they are ashamed of the 2000's decade due to 90's kid elitists ruining the 2000's nostalgia for them.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 11:50 am

My take, I think that the popularity of the internet and social media sites around the late 2000's up to now has been the reason why 90's nostalgia has sky rocketed so high, became noticeable by everyone, and has lasted this long. At the time 80's or 70's nostalgia and before had been going on, I doubt it that the internet was on this level yet or even existed in people's households. That's why you really don't remember seeing nostalgia for the 80's or 70's go as deep as the 90's has done on the internet.

Or maybe we were too young to know about 80s nostalgia in the 2000s. I don't know about your experiences seeing people from other decades being nostalgic about the past, but around 2008/2009, I could remember when people were still praising the 80s and early 90s. Especially on YouTube and Retrojunk.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/04/15 at 11:54 am

Oh it's all good bruh, sometimes I get typos in my sentences as well. :o

Anyways, in response to this thread, will 90's nostalgia continue for at least another few years? Well, I could come up with tons of scenarios. This whole 90's nostalgia thing, never ending 90's kid debate, the turn of the century and 9/11, the controversial definitions of childhood or when childhood peaks, the analysis of how far 90's culture continued throughout the early 2000's, who really experienced 90's pop culture, was it geared towards kids of the 90's or teens of the 90's, when the 90's really ended and all that, the 2000's really didn't start until 2005 or 2006, blah blah blah, etc. You never heard debates about any other decade go this deep about the 80's, 70's, 60's or below. It's just the 90's nostalgia and culture that has done this. I honestly don't remember being on the internet seeing 80's nostalgia or analysis of who really experienced the 80's, or when did the 80's really end, go as deep as the 90's have done on the internet the last few years. I think that it's unpredictable. Heck you even have some people, actually 2000's kids themselves too, who say that will 2000's nostalgia ever be a thing? I think it will, but we'll have to see in due time. A lot of people who grew up in the 90's (this is not just me from what I heard btw) tend to think that as soon as 9/11 happened or 2004 hit everything geared towards kids or everything music related just died out, or things in life have became overly technologically advanced up to today. Which I disagree with completely. If people keep getting the early 2000's (2000-2003) confused with the 90's decade, then 90's nostalgia will definitely continue for the rest of this decade, but it's been going on too long. Another person told me that 90's nostalgia started on a Myspace page that was made in 2006, and it was made too early which has led to so many misconceptions about this whole 90's thing that's been going on too long.

Well there is some truth to that.

Notice how in 2004 many kid channels like Cartoon Network & Nickelodeon made sharp decisions this year, for better and for worse. These changes are still being felt today 11 years later.

2004 in general was just a crazy year, many 90's & early 00's tv shows were ending or about to end, primetime tv was starting to come back with shows like Lost, reality tv was starting to enter its peak in popularity, etc.

In the case for technology, yes I agree that 2004 was the last year that had any sort of analog feel to it. Cassetes believe or not were still being sold regularly, the same with VHS. Digital tech like DVD's & CD's were entering their peak this year. Plus you had analog/digital transitional technologies like Dial Up be 50/50 (here in the U.S) on how many households had it in comparission to broadband and wifi, along with palm pilots, flip phones, heck even pagers (though this was dying fast); hence why 2004 is usually considered the last Web 1.0 year.

I typically consider the 1991-2004 period the Web 1.0 era, neither fully digital as 2005-through today or fully analog as 1990 and before.

So 2004 was what kickstarted the true 2000's, which IMO were between the years of 2004-2007.

Now I do agree with you that the quality of entertainment during the mid years was still very good, however I noticed around late 2007 that things were starting to change for the worst. Hence why I consider late 2007 through today the modern era.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/15 at 1:34 pm

Well, you have another few more years to wait.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 1:42 pm

Well, you have another few more years to wait.

Well, some people are nostalgic over the late 2000s now. But people would be more soft about the portion around 2018/19.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 2:14 pm

My take, I think that the popularity of the internet and social media sites around the late 2000's up to now has been the reason why 90's nostalgia has sky rocketed so high, became noticeable by everyone, and has lasted this long. At the time 80's or 70's nostalgia and before had been going on, I doubt it that the internet was on this level yet or even existed in people's households. That's why you really don't remember seeing nostalgia for the 80's or 70's go as deep as the 90's has done on the internet. I'm not just talking about the 90's nostalgia itself, but people trying to go on deep analysis on how there childhood was like so they could push people out, squeeze their memories in and claim that they really experienced "90's culture" because they are ashamed of the 2000's decade due to 90's kid elitists ruining the 2000's nostalgia for them.

Yeah, it's a shame that 2000s kids don't get that much reputation over the nostalgia community. 90s elitists think that the 2000s suck, with 9/11. But I think most of them are trolls since they just find people who take their comments seriously.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/04/15 at 3:44 pm

Or maybe we were too young to know about 80s nostalgia in the 2000s. I don't know about your experiences seeing people from other decades being nostalgic about the past, but around 2008/2009, I could remember when people were still praising the 80s and early 90s. Especially on YouTube and Retrojunk.

I actually remember 80s nostalgia in the 00s retrojunk and VH1 it was EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/04/15 at 3:46 pm

People were crazy about 80s nostalgia too just not on the same level as 90s nostalgia!!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 5:26 pm

I actually remember 80s nostalgia in the 00s retrojunk and VH1 it was EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!

Do you remember watching some 80s commercials on YouTube back in the late 00s?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/04/15 at 5:52 pm

Do you remember watching some 80s commercials on YouTube back in the late 00s?

yup

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 6:10 pm

yup

Awesome. I can't believe I'm seeing another person (on the Internet) that actually remembers watching 80s commercials on YouTube.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/15 at 6:12 pm

Yes it will. As of right now, most of the 90s are 20 and over or close to it. I think it will end sometime in 2019 as by then the 00s nostalgia will be huge.

No offense to Mqg and Baltimoreian, but the user you are talking about is Arcticfox. You guys have to remember that there are two Cs in arctic. Please don't feel bad about the issue. I'm not attacking you both in anyway at all. Everyone makes typos all the time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 6:14 pm

Yes it will. As of right now, most of the 90s are 20 and over or close to it. I think it will end sometime in 2019 as by then the 00s nostalgia will be huge.

No offense to Mqg and Baltimoreian, but the user you are talking about is Arcticfox. You guys have to remember that there are two Cs in arctic. Please don't feel bad about the issue. I'm not attacking you both in anyway at all. Everyone makes typos all the time.

Mqg actually corrected me with the ArcticFox thing, so you don't need to do it another time. It's okay though.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/15 at 6:16 pm

Mqg actually corrected me with the ArcticFox thing, so you don't need to do it another time. It's okay though.
I saw that, but he missed the first C in the username. Like I said, we all make typos. We shouldn't be serious about it. 

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/04/15 at 7:49 pm

Awesome. I can't believe I'm seeing another person (on the Internet) that actually remembers watching 80s commercials on YouTube.

It was pretty cool watching those things!! I watched them on Youtube, retrojunk, and on VHI I Love the 80s!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/04/15 at 7:52 pm

It was pretty cool watching those things!! I watched them on Youtube, retrojunk, and on VHI I Love the 80s!

Yeah. It gave me some examples on what the 80s looked like, when I watched those commercials.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/04/15 at 9:04 pm

People were crazy about 80s nostalgia too just not on the same level as 90s nostalgia!!

I remember '80s nostalgia in the aughts too. 1980's nostalgia was real world, whereas 1990s nostalgia has almost entirely been on the interwebs. I noticed it wasn't until last year that you started hearing '90s music on the speakers at stores, supermarkets, amusement parks, and other public conventions. With 1980's fashion, look at these two links:

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/the-most-okay-fashions-of-2003/Content?oid=30480
http://www.theledger.com/article/20050102/NEWS/501020309

The '80s were coming back in the earlyish-midish aughts! We haven't seen any '90s revivals yet in the '10s. I'll wait until this comes back.

http://www.whedon.info/IMG/jpg/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-season-1-promo-hq-01-0750.jpg
http://www.uomoclassico.com/96ss/lg/guess96ss2.jpg

Heck, I'll bring back the men's fashion all on my own!  8)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/15 at 7:54 am

I remember '80s nostalgia in the aughts too. 1980's nostalgia was real world, whereas 1990s nostalgia has almost entirely been on the interwebs. I noticed it wasn't until last year that you started hearing '90s music on the speakers at stores, supermarkets, amusement parks, and other public conventions. With 1980's fashion, look at these two links:

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/the-most-okay-fashions-of-2003/Content?oid=30480
http://www.theledger.com/article/20050102/NEWS/501020309

The '80s were coming back in the earlyish-midish aughts! We haven't seen any '90s revivals yet in the '10s. I'll wait until this comes back.

http://www.whedon.info/IMG/jpg/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-season-1-promo-hq-01-0750.jpg
http://www.uomoclassico.com/96ss/lg/guess96ss2.jpg

Heck, I'll bring back the men's fashion all on my own!  8)

Then what about The 90s Are All That block on TeenNick, along with the upcoming 2016 Powerpuff Girls reboot? How are those not revivals from the 90s?

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/05/15 at 9:39 am

The 80s nostalgia was everywhere..especially around 2008.

What should I do with the shutter shades?? (Kanye's fault)

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/05/15 at 9:41 am

Lots of 90s nostagia though,

- flower prints
- rounded sunglasses
- flannel
- overalls (eww)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/15 at 11:46 am

Lots of 90s nostagia though,

- flower prints
- rounded sunglasses
- flannel
- overalls (eww)

Who the hell had overalls as a trend in the 90s?

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/05/15 at 12:03 pm

Every kid?? Mainly mid-90s. Or are they called differently?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/15 at 12:31 pm

Every kid?? Mainly mid-90s. Or are they called differently?

Any kid can wear overalls since the 1750s. http://www.waltontaylor.com/overallshistory.html

Written By: Howard on 08/05/15 at 2:22 pm

I was crazy for 80's nostalgia.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/15 at 2:24 pm

The 80s nostalgia was everywhere..especially around 2008.

What should I do with the shutter shades?? (Kanye's fault)

keep them.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/15 at 2:25 pm

Weren't they called backwards pants?

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/05/15 at 2:49 pm

Weren't they called backwards pants?

Think that was a different one.

I mean these things
http://www.totalfashionista.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/470_2584488.jpg

And these are being sold right now, though it is cringeworthy if you ask me.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/05/15 at 3:53 pm

I mean these things

My mom tried to get me those when I was 6 or 7! I HATED them!! lol

Written By: mqg96 on 08/05/15 at 4:09 pm

You mean overalls?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/15 at 4:30 pm

She tried and failed?  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/15 at 4:41 pm

Do you still keep those overalls?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/05/15 at 8:34 pm

She tried and failed?  ;D

YES... BIG TIME!!!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/05/15 at 8:35 pm

I told her to TAKE THOSE THINGS BACK!!! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/15 at 8:59 pm

I told her to TAKE THOSE THINGS BACK!!! ;D ;D ;D

Did she refuse?

Written By: tv on 08/05/15 at 9:04 pm

Overalls-I am an 80's kid but didn't overalls peak in 1987-1988 and just die in 1990 or 1991?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/15 at 9:06 pm

Overalls-I am an 80's kid but didn't overalls peak in 1987-1988 and just die in 1990 or 1991?

Well, I think it was more of an 80s/90s thing, pop culturally. Nobody really cared about wearing overalls after that.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/05/15 at 9:23 pm

Did she refuse?

nope she laughed, and said ok!! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/06/15 at 1:15 pm

Then what about The 90s Are All That block on TeenNick, along with the upcoming 2016 Powerpuff Girls reboot? How are those not revivals from the 90s?

Those are for people who were children in the '90s. I'm talking about things that were cool with the teens and young adults of the time - people born in the 1970's. Someone born in 1975 was clearly not watching All That. They were watching shows like The X-Files, My So Called Life, Friends, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

The youth of a decade typically define it. '70s babies defined or "made" the '90s. '80s babies "made" the '00s. '90s babies are "making" the '10s (or at least I hope so).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/06/15 at 1:55 pm

Those are for people who were children in the '90s. I'm talking about things that were cool with the teens and young adults of the time - people born in the 1970's. Someone born in 1975 was clearly not watching All That. They were watching shows like The X-Files, My So Called Life, Friends, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

The youth of a decade typically define it. '70s babies defined or "made" the '90s. '80s babies "made" the '00s. '90s babies are "making" the '10s (or at least I hope so).

So children from past decades can't get revivals? WHY? I'm not a proud 2010s teen nor do I even like most of this decade's pop culture. I only like watching Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on HBO, while watching We Bare Bears on Cartoon Network. I wouldn't even be nostalgic about the 2010s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/06/15 at 2:10 pm

along with the upcoming 2016 Powerpuff Girls reboot? How are those not revivals from the 90s?

Actually, Power puff girls was a poor example, it really wasn't a quintessential 90s thing, it came out in 1998 and I recall it's popularity was in the millennium era and early 00s. It was more of a very late 90s early 00s kid thing!

Written By: shadowcookie on 08/06/15 at 2:14 pm

I think it's already starting to fade, thankfully. I can't be the only one who is bored of 90s nostalgia. I find it hard to be enthusiastic about a decade I have very little to no experience of.

Early 00s nostalgia is already becoming a thing, so I'm confident that by 2020 00s nostalgia will be 'in'.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/06/15 at 2:17 pm

Actually, Power puff girls was a poor example, it really wasn't a quintessential 90s thing, it came out in 1998 and I recall it's popularity was in the millennium era and early 00s. It was more of a very late 90s early 00s kid thing!

:( Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I'm not into 90s culture.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/06/15 at 2:23 pm

So children from past decades can't get revivals? WHY? I'm not a proud 2010s teen nor do I even like most of this decade's pop culture. I only like watching Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on HBO, while watching We Bare Bears on Cartoon Network. I wouldn't even be nostalgic about the 2010s.

Children's media typically doesn't get revivals faithful to their original versions; because the original audience has grown up and when they watch those shows again most of them don't hold up to adult standards. Granted, there are some exceptions, such as: Batman the Animated Series, Teen Titans, The Secret World of Alex Mack, Power Rangers Time Force, and Hey Arnold. I can't think of anything else. Most children's shows age poorly.

Interestingly enough, I was saying the same thing a few years ago when I was 15 in 2011. I also despised 2012 and 2013, while they were happening. I enjoyed 2014 a lot more though, and this year has been interesting so far as well. My personal life throughout the decade so far has been great, it's just the pop culture I wasn't fond of. Believe me, I was saying the 2010's sucked back in 2012 and 2013, thinking "worst decade ever", imagining I would never be nostalgic for them. As I mature, my view changes.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/06/15 at 2:30 pm

Children's media typically doesn't get revivals faithful to their original versions; because the original audience has grown up and when they watch those shows again most of them don't hold up to adult standards. Granted, there are some exceptions, such as: Batman the Animated Series, Teen Titans, The Secret World of Alex Mack, Power Rangers Time Force, and Hey Arnold. I can't think of anything else. Most children's shows age poorly.

Interestingly enough, I was saying the same thing a few years ago when I was 15 in 2011. I also despised 2012 and 2013, while they were happening. I enjoyed 2014 a lot more though, and this year has been interesting so far as well. My personal life throughout the decade so far has been great, it's just the pop culture I wasn't fond of. Believe me, I was saying the 2010's sucked back in 2012 and 2013, thinking "worst decade ever", imagining I would never be nostalgic for them. As I mature, my view changes.

That's still isn't going to change my opinion on the 2010s. I would never be nostalgic over the 2010s. I'm going to be 18 in December 2017, and that would probably be the start of the transistional 2010s-2020s era. I do like 2015, but it's not even as great as the 2000s.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/06/15 at 3:24 pm

That's still isn't going to change my opinion on the 2010s. I would never be nostalgic over the 2010s. I'm going to be 18 in December 2017, and that would probably be the start of the transistional 2010s-2020s era. I do like 2015, but it's not even as great as the 2000s.

You may feel that way now, but you don't know what the future will be like. Just try to live in the now and take it one day at a time. That's what helped me enjoy my current life more. I don't want to spend my youth being bitter over what I don't have, and you shouldn't spend yours doing that either.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/06/15 at 3:30 pm

You may feel that way now, but you don't know what the future will be like. Just try to live in the now and take it one day at a time. That's what helped me enjoy my current life more. I don't want to spend my youth being bitter over what I don't have, and you shouldn't spend yours doing that either.

That's still not helping. I'm just going to be proud of being a 2000s kid. My memories from the early 2010s (especially 2012) is just awful and that I don't want to be nostalgic over that era. Even with the mid-2010s, there's only like a few stuff that I actually like to watch from pop culture.

Written By: Howard on 08/06/15 at 3:31 pm

I mean these things

for how much?

Written By: mqg96 on 08/06/15 at 4:21 pm

Those are some deep words right there. You never know what could happen in this country in the future, and we don't know how our economy could be going or what's happening around the world right now. As 2011 & 2012 were happening I had a great time but I wasn't fun of it that much either, looking back now I'm already giving the early 2010's so much credit compared to how boring it is for me now, and the amazing vacations & trips I did during that time too, (just my opinion and personal life), however, while the mid 2010's now may not be the best for everybody, we still have freedom here in America and we are still able to work a job and set our own standards & living. I'm not taking what I have for granted while I still got it.

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/06/15 at 5:39 pm

for how much?

You want one??  :P
I don't know, maybe as much as jeans..

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/06/15 at 5:40 pm

I would never be nostalgic over the 2010s..

You will... but more because you will miss your youth than pop culture.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/06/15 at 5:46 pm

You will... but more because you will miss your youth than pop culture.

??? You do realize that my younger childhood in the 2000s also counts as my youth, right? But still, I really wouldn't be nostalgic over the 2010s. Especially for the fact that 2012 was in a time when everything sucked so much, especially with three shootings that were national news coverages in the same year.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/15 at 7:46 am

You want one??  :P
I don't know, maybe as much as jeans..

No I can't fit into those anyways. ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/15 at 10:32 am

Those are some deep words right there. You never know what could happen in this country in the future, and we don't know how our economy could be going or what's happening around the world right now. As 2011 & 2012 were happening I had a great time but I wasn't fun of it that much either, looking back now I'm already giving the early 2010's so much credit compared to how boring it is for me now, and the amazing vacations & trips I did during that time too, (just my opinion and personal life), however, while the mid 2010's now may not be the best for everybody, we still have freedom here in America and we are still able to work a job and set our own standards & living. I'm not taking what I have for granted while I still got it.

Well, maybe the early 2010s was nostalgic to you because you went to all of those trips. The early 2010s were the time when puberty hit me and that everything on TV started to seem boring to me. Politically, I wouldn't really care about it that much. The only political parties that people seem to care about are Democrats and Republicans. I don't think anybody cares about voting for an Independent politician like Bernie Sanders, as president.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/07/15 at 1:06 pm

Well, maybe the early 2010s was nostalgic to you because you went to all of those trips. The early 2010s were the time when puberty hit me and that everything on TV started to seem boring to me. Politically, I wouldn't really care about it that much. The only political parties that people seem to care about are Democrats and Republicans. I don't think anybody cares about voting for an Independent politician like Bernie Sanders, as president.

Oh it's not just because of my trip to New York back in 2011, it's also the great movies that came out at the time, my time in high school being a huge improvement from my dark days in middle school, the max popularity of Angry Birds, and pop culturally the music at the time was the best it had gotten to in years. 2010 is my favorite year for music of this decade so far, but 2012 up to now for the most part have been bad for music IMO. Although 2013 DID have some really great hits that year though I'll give that year a lot of credit. Here in the mid 2010's the pop culture and worldly events has been kinda bland in my opinion, especially all of these riots & cases from Baltimore and Ferguson, the legalization of Gay Marriage occurring around the same time the Church Massacre in Charleston, SC happened as the Confederate Flag controversies went on, the Iran Nuclear Deal that our country just made recently which is supposed to bring out "world peace" but at the same time could be life threatening for our world, and the music has just been awful IMO. Pop culturally and worldwide/politically the early 2010's (2010-2013) beats out the mid 2010's (2014-present) right now. Also social media becoming more and more sensitive out there now with the max popularity of twitter. I'd say the ONLY improvement that the mid-2010's have over the early 2010's for me is probably my personal life being in college now having more freedom with my own job & making my own money.

Well, my point is not what part of the 2010's decade we've enjoyed so far in our opinions. My point is that regardless of what we've had or haven't had. We should still be appreciative that you are still alive today breathing on this planet, and that we still have freedom here in America. Like someone else mentioned, you don't know what the future could be for your personal life or most importantly, how our country/world in general could be like.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/15 at 2:03 pm

Oh it's not just because of my trip to New York back in 2011, it's also the great movies that came out at the time, my time in high school being a huge improvement from my dark days in middle school, the max popularity of Angry Birds, and pop culturally the music at the time was the best it had gotten to in years. 2010 is my favorite year for music of this decade so far, but 2012 up to now for the most part have been bad for music IMO. Although 2013 DID have some really great hits that year though I'll give that year a lot of credit. Here in the mid 2010's the pop culture and worldly events has been kinda bland in my opinion, especially all of these riots & cases from Baltimore and Ferguson, the legalization of Gay Marriage occurring around the same time the Church Massacre in Charleston, SC happened as the Confederate Flag controversies went on, the Iran Nuclear Deal that our country just made recently which is supposed to bring out "world peace" but at the same time could be life threatening for our world, and the music has just been awful IMO. Pop culturally and worldwide/politically the early 2010's (2010-2013) beats out the mid 2010's (2014-present) right now. Also social media becoming more and more sensitive out there now with the max popularity of twitter. I'd say the ONLY improvement that the mid-2010's have over the early 2010's for me is probably my personal life being in college now having more freedom with my own job & making my own money.

Well, my point is not what part of the 2010's decade we've enjoyed so far in our opinions. My point is that regardless of what we've had or haven't had. We should still be appreciative that you are still alive today breathing on this planet, and that we still have freedom here in America. Like someone else mentioned, you don't know what the future could be for your personal life or most importantly, how our country/world in general could be like.

Yeah, but I'm not really into politics. Besides, it's not like anybody is going to drop a bomb on us. We're still living peacefully.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/09/15 at 11:22 am

No I can't fit into those anyways. ;D

Don't they make overalls for adults too?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/09/15 at 11:33 am

Will they still be known as the "Gay Nineties" ? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/09/15 at 11:34 am

Will they still be known as the "Gay Nineties" ? ???

I don't see any LGBT pop culture in the 90s. Maybe they were a bit obscure back then.

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/09/15 at 2:02 pm

I don't see any LGBT pop culture in the 90s. Maybe they were a bit obscure back then.

There's always been LGBT pop culture. It's just been more underground until it recently became more mainstream. 

Written By: Howard on 08/09/15 at 2:38 pm

Don't they make overalls for adults too?

I suppose they do.  ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/09/15 at 2:40 pm

There's always been LGBT pop culture. It's just been more underground until it recently became more mainstream.

But when did it start? I really don't know how did LGBT culture started.

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/09/15 at 3:07 pm

But when did it start? I really don't know how did LGBT culture started.

I'm not sure I could pinpoint exactly when it started, but as long as it's been socially stigmatized and driven underground, LGBT people have had to create their own culture by means of identifying one another or knowing where to meet.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/09/15 at 3:50 pm

I want Rock and R&B to make a comeback.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/09/15 at 3:56 pm

They should really make a comeback in the near future. This decade never had any hits of Rock.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/09/15 at 9:58 pm

me too!! :\'( :\'( :\'(  sooooooo friggin bad!!!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/10/15 at 10:30 am

me too!! :\'( :\'( :\'(  sooooooo friggin bad!!!

I feel of how you want a rock song. Most 2010s songs are either pop, rap or dubstep. And it feels like dubstep is the only good genre in this decade, IMO.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/10/15 at 1:56 pm

I feel of how you want a rock song. Most 2010s songs are either pop, rap or dubstep. And it feels like dubstep is the only good genre in this decade, IMO.

There's a lot of country and dance in this decade as well. Dubstep isn't even around anymore thank God. That genre literally is just noise. That's why I consider 2012 the worst year of the decade (and all time) for music!

Written By: mqg96 on 08/10/15 at 2:15 pm

There's a lot of country and dance in this decade as well. Dubstep isn't even around anymore thank God. That genre literally is just noise. That's why I consider 2012 the worst year of the decade (and all time) for music!

2012 music wasn't that good at all, although I loved 2010 music though which is still my favorite. Let's be honest when it comes to the pop culture of 2012, I'd say the movies were the only great thing about it. Avengers, Hunger Games, 21 Jump Street, and Ted were some of my favorite movies from 2012.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/10/15 at 2:17 pm

Well, I'm not a big fan of country music, so I don't really follow the genre that much. But for dance music, I can get that there are lots of it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/10/15 at 2:21 pm

2012 music wasn't that good at all, although I loved 2010 music though which is still my favorite. Let's be honest when it comes to the pop culture of 2012, I'd say the movies were the only great thing about it. Avengers, Hunger Games, 21 Jump Street, and Ted were some of my favorite movies from 2012.

Yeah, it seems like the movies were the only good thing in 2012. Especially Ted. Pop culturally and politically, it just seems like the worst year for the 2010s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/10/15 at 2:24 pm

Television-wise, 2012 was a decent year. With the third season of Boardwalk Empire and the seventh season of Dexter, they seem cool.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/15 at 2:54 pm

same here, I want a bit of that old school flavor.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/10/15 at 3:05 pm

I agree. 2012 had great movies!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/15 at 3:12 pm

I have always wished for pop music to return to the 50's and 60's standard, with a singer, two (or three) guitars and drums, and simply lyrics to the songs.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/10/15 at 4:26 pm

I have always wished for pop music to return to the 50's and 60's standard, with a singer, two (or three) guitars and drums, and simply lyrics to the songs.

Yeah, I like minimalistic music.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/10/15 at 10:23 pm

Well, they seem to do that still with modern rock bands. Pop music usually has to deal with technology they were with during the decade.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/11/15 at 12:39 am

Dubstep has been gone since 2013.  I really liked the genre and thought it had potential to take music in a new direction but it wasn't anything more than a passing fad.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/11/15 at 6:23 am

Dubstep has been gone since 2013.  I really liked the genre and thought it had potential to take music in a new direction but it wasn't anything more than a passing fad.

I thought dubstep was still going on since I thought people today still like that. But I didn't noticed that it faded since 2013.

Written By: Howard on 08/11/15 at 2:29 pm

back in those days when they played instruments.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/11/15 at 7:00 pm

back in those days when they played instruments.

They still play with instruments on some bands. Don't you listen to other kinds of music besides pop?

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/11/15 at 11:07 pm

That will come when we settle on a common slang pronunciation for it other than the mouthful you just typed.

People have already been nostalgic over the 90s (mostly the early 90s) since the mid 2000s.

Eh? Not really. Most nostalgia CD albums they used to advertise in the mid hundreds only usually featured decades 50s-80s. I always used to question why the 90s was always left out.

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/11/15 at 11:43 pm

There was nothing authentic about the previous decade, and there's nothing authentic about today.

It was all about just kicking back and having fun, that's why the previous decade was so good. No PC nonsense and cheap cash-ins.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/11/15 at 11:56 pm

It was all about just kicking back and having fun, that's why the previous decade was so good. No PC nonsense and cheap cash-ins.

There was a lot of artificiality in the 2000s, but it was generally of a less frustrating, less hypocritical nature.  I agree that the PC climate is much more apparent this decade than in the 2000s, but a lot of film, music, and especially television (socialite-based reality TV, in particular) was pretty fake and corporatized.  The late 90s were like that as well, but they at least didn't have the rash of George W. Bush as President or terrorism being such an obsessional fear of the world.  The difference now is that the type of media and discussions pushed by social media claim to be promoting acceptance and diversity, when really they're just rigidly defining what it means to be an authentic person in the modern world.

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/11/15 at 11:57 pm

Yeah, it's a shame that 2000s kids don't get that much reputation over the nostalgia community. 90s elitists think that the 2000s suck, with 9/11. But I think most of them are trolls since they just find people who take their comments seriously.

The problem is that the 90s elitists, particularly back when it firsr exploded on the web, used to lump the 00s era with the 2010s mentioning an obsession in ipads and smartphones over toys in during the decade despite the latter not being that big or that advanced, and the former not even existing in the 00s at all!

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/12/15 at 12:06 am

I wore overalls and velcro shoes in the late 90s/early 00s 8). I remember back when I first got my black corduroy overalls, I was giddy.

That memory is actually evidence that my memories date back to 1999 because I've always remembered how exited I was to get overalls and recently I saw pictures of myself wearing it in late 1999.

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/12/15 at 12:30 am

R&B was soo rampant in the 00s. Don't care for Rock except for a few classics here and there.

I wish we made classics like this today 8)
gY5rztWa1TM

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/12/15 at 12:40 am

There was a lot of artificiality in the 2000s, but it was generally of a less frustrating, less hypocritical nature.  I agree that the PC climate is much more apparent this decade than in the 2000s, but a lot of film, music, and especially television (socialite-based reality TV, in particular) was pretty fake and corporatized.  The late 90s were like that as well, but they at least didn't have the rash of George W. Bush as President or terrorism being such an obsessional fear of the world.  The difference now is that the type of media and discussions pushed by social media claim to be promoting acceptance and diversity, when really they're just rigidly defining what it means to be an authentic person in the modern world.

I didn't have Bush as my leader back then, only Harper and the guy who came before him. I'm serious when I say nobody thought terrorists would attack Canada back then either.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/12/15 at 1:09 am

I didn't have Bush as my leader back then, only Harper and the guy who came before him. I'm serious when I say nobody thought terrorists would attack Canada back then either.

Lol I'm from America and Bush was a joke! Literally! Though I don't think Obama has been much better either. Hopefully Bernie Sanders wins and ACTUALLY changes the country for the better of the people

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/12/15 at 1:13 am

R&B was soo rampant in the 00s.

People like to think that, but it really wasn't real R&B is very different from hip-hop, but the aughts is when hip-hop and R&B practically became the same genre. Think of real R&B as "You Can't Hurry Love" by The Supremes (1960s), "Shining Star" by Earth Wind and Fire (1970s), and Always Be My Baby by Mariah Carey (1990s). It's very hard to pinpoint a real R&B song in the 2010s, but I'd say the closest is "Ghost" by Ella Henderson or "Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran. And both of those are more neo-soul than R&B.

With the aughts, "Do It to It" by Cherish and "Get Up" by Ciara are not R&B. Those are hip-hop.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/12/15 at 1:28 am

People like to think that, but it really wasn't real R&B is very different from hip-hop, but the aughts is when hip-hop and R&B practically became the same genre. Think of real R&B as "You Can't Hurry Love" by The Supremes (1960s), "Shining Star" by Earth Wind and Fire (1970s), and Always Be My Baby by Mariah Carey (1990s). It's very hard to pinpoint a real R&B song in the 2010s, but I'd say the closest is "Ghost" by Ella Henderson or "Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran. And both of those are more neo-soul than R&B.

Always Be My Baby was contemporary r&b, essentially a different wave of r&b altogether, which first emerged in the early 90s, fully established its identity in the mid-90s, and remained popular through 2007, after which it declined in prominence before disappearing totally by 2009.

With the aughts, "Do It to It" by Cherish and "Get Up" by Ciara are not R&B. Those are hip-hop.

Not all urban music from the 2000s was contemporary r&b, but a great deal of the biggest hits were.  Just look at all of Usher's songs from that decade, plus the massive singles from Mariah Carey's Emancipation of Mimi.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/15 at 7:02 am

Eh? Not really. Most nostalgia CD albums they used to advertise in the mid hundreds only usually featured decades 50s-80s. I always used to question why the 90s was always left out.

No, I'm saying people having been missing the 90s since the mid 2000s, mostly on the Internet.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/15 at 3:11 pm

They still play with instruments on some bands. Don't you listen to other kinds of music besides pop?

I rarely listen to what's in with today's music, I'm more of an old school music fan.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/15 at 3:17 pm

The problem is that the 90s elitists, particularly back when it first exploded on the web, used to lump the 00s era with the 2010s mentioning an obsession in ipads and smartphones over toys in during the decade despite the latter not being that big or that advanced, and the former not even existing in the 00s at all!

Especially for the fact that smartphones and iPads weren't even popular in the 2000s. Hell, I didn't even have my first iPad until 2011, while I didn't had my first smartphone until Christmas of 2014. It's been like over a decade since they've been around on the Internet, and all they do is just annoy people with their stupid nostalgia gimmicks. They need to get out.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/15 at 9:23 pm

Here's the article that began the whole 90s kid nostalgia. I tried to find the original from Myspace, but it's not there anymore. However, this one will work. It was copied from Myspace back in 2007 (As the original is from 2006)

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=4992

Here's another one from Retrojunk back in 2008.

http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/1557/are-you-a-true-90s-kid

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/15 at 10:06 pm

Here's the article that began the whole 90s kid nostalgia. I tried to find the original from Myspace, but it's not there anymore. However, this one will work. It was copied from Myspace back in 2007 (As the original is from 2006)

Eight years ago, those 90s elitists took over the Internet, even though they've been plaguing it in a terrible state since the early 2010s. And they think that the Myspace frenzy was terrible, despite having that posted on Myspace.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/12/15 at 10:17 pm

On what I have in bold there's still a couple of recent posts on there by kids even born in the 2000's decade almost like 8 years after that was originally posted, that's really sad. This is exactly what I believe you and I were referring to. 90's nostalgia took off way too early in like 2006 I believe? What's worse is that it was around the time the internet was getting much bigger with the rise in popularity of more and more social media sites, which causes the 90's nostalgia to be spread on more open noticeable pages much more quickly. It's hard for me to believe that 90's nostalgia may not completely vanish the rest of this decade. Even with tragic events like 9/11 or something, people will say that 9/11 can't be compared to ANY other tragic event or something. Like it was worse than anything. I understand the significance of how bad it was. But is anyone gonna sit here and compare 9/11 to an OJ Simpson case or a Boston Bombing? Not trying to be rude here but that's how 90's elitists will try to make you feel. Like what ever happened in your decade was so much worse than the other. Years later people's opinions change and end up praising that stuff that wasn't originally praised at the time it was going on. You get what I'm saying though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/15 at 10:40 pm

On what I have in bold there's still a couple of recent posts on there by kids even born in the 2000's decade almost like 8 years after that was originally posted, that's really sad. This is exactly what I believe you and I were referring to. 90's nostalgia took off way too early in like 2006 I believe? What's worse is that it was around the time the internet was getting much bigger with the rise in popularity of more and more social media sites, which causes the 90's nostalgia to be spread on more open noticeable pages much more quickly. It's hard for me to believe that 90's nostalgia may not completely vanish the rest of this decade. Even with tragic events like 9/11 or something, people will say that 9/11 can't be compared to ANY other tragic event or something. Like it was worse than anything. I understand the significance of how bad it was. But is anyone gonna sit here and compare 9/11 to an OJ Simpson case or a Boston Bombing? Not trying to be rude here but that's how 90's elitists will try to make you feel. Like what ever happened in your decade was so much worse than the other. Years later people's opinions change and end up praising that stuff that wasn't originally praised at the time it was going on. You get what I'm saying though.

Yeah, it's pretty bad that they're still treating 90s nostalgia like a religion, even though it's been eight years since that bullcrap started to rise. It's not really fair that 90s kids still have a big reputation over the Internet, yet 2000s kids are like the underground community of it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/13/15 at 12:56 pm

Eight years ago, those 90s elitists took over the Internet, even though they've been plaguing it in a terrible state since the early 2010s. And they think that the Myspace frenzy was terrible, despite having that posted on Myspace.
9 years actually. But yep; however, the difference between now and then is that there weren't many threads or even articles about it like there is today. Had the 90s nostalgia began around 2010 or 2011, it would have been much better and there wouldn't be many 90s elitists at all. Furthermore, people wouldn't have these countless debates everywhere about who is and isn't a 90s kid with others being angry with it and wish for it to be over.

Yep, that's what I was telling you about on another site. Yeah, it started way too early at that time (unless that article was early 90s nostalgia) and the person who began the whole reminiscing should have waited a few more years to do it (2010 was 4 years away in 2006). It would have been a much better success with more positive towards the nostalgia and we definitely wouldn't have these repetitive discussions.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/13/15 at 1:35 pm

9 years actually. But yep; however, the difference between now and then is that there weren't many threads or even articles about it like there is today. Had the 90s nostalgia began around 2010 or 2011, it would have been much better and there wouldn't be many 90s elitists at all. Furthermore, people wouldn't have these countless debates everywhere about who is and isn't a 90s kid with others being angry with it and wish for it to be over.

Well, even if the 90s nostalgia started around 2010 or 2011, there's still a chance that 90s elitists would be on the Internet. Although, it would've been more calmer for 2000s kids to have a warm welcome in the nostalgia community.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/13/15 at 11:56 pm

Well, even if the 90s nostalgia started around 2010 or 2011, there's still a chance that 90s elitists would be on the Internet. Although, it would've been more calmer for 2000s kids to have a warm welcome in the nostalgia community.
So true. I would see 2000s kids embracing their childhood more especially on YouTube. However, too bad that didn't happen since the 90s elitists decided to ruin it with that "your childhood sucked; mine was better" statement.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/14/15 at 6:30 am

So true. I would see 2000s kids embracing their childhood more especially on YouTube. However, too bad that didn't happen since the 90s elitists decided to ruin it with that "your childhood sucked; mine was better" statement.

Yeah, and then some 2000s kids have to think that they're 90s kids because they were born in the 90s, which isn't helping them.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/16/15 at 8:08 am

Yeah, I agree. I remember in 2005 there was a lot of nostalgia for the late 80's (c. 1989), and then early 90's nostalgia in the years that followed (2006-2008). In 2012, it seemed there was a lot of nostalgia for the year 1996. A lot of the same bands/artists that were popular in '96 released songs in 2012, like Garbage, Alanis Morisette, and Smashing Pumpkins. Even the Macarena became cool again for a brief period, lol. I think late 90's/Y2K nostalgia began in 2013 and is getting bigger now. One evidence was seen in the 2013 movie "This is the End", when their #1 wish was for the Backstreet Boys to get back together.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/16/15 at 9:06 am

Yeah, I agree. I remember in 2005 there was a lot of nostalgia for the late 80's (c. 1989), and then early 90's nostalgia in the years that followed (2006-2008). In 2012, it seemed there was a lot of nostalgia for the year 1996. A lot of the same bands/artists that were popular in '96 released songs in 2012, like Garbage, Alanis Morisette, and Smashing Pumpkins. Even the Macarena became cool again for a brief period, lol. I think late 90's/Y2K nostalgia began in 2013 and is getting bigger now. One evidence was seen in the 2013 movie "This is the End", when their #1 wish was for the Backstreet Boys to get back together.

Oh yeah, I remember when they danced to one of their songs in the ending.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/16/15 at 10:12 pm

I disagree with this. On this website your theory probably applies, but in the real world definitely not. In 2005, I remember hearing a lot of new wave songs on the radio, television, and at the stores. The late aughts I remember being all about hair metal and early hip-hop nostalgia. Motley Crue and Run DMC I remember hearing a lot. Everywhere. People had been begging Activision to include Motley Crue in their Guitar Hero games for a long, long time before it finally happened with Guitar Hero 5 in 2009. The scene kids basically revived hair metal clothing and hairstyles as well. Yuck!  8-P

Also, having been 16 in 2012, I distinctly remember there being early '90s nostalgia in 2012. As a matter of fact, that was when I first started hearing grunge bands such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Radiohead on classic rock radio. 2012 was when Nirvana went from being viewed as "just another '90s rock band" to being the immortal rock gods that they are today. 2012 was also when the bright colors and guido-y high top sneakers of the late aughts/very early '10s went away and were replaced by flannel and combat boots. I remember hearing Sir-Mix A lot's "Baby Got Back" quite often in 2012 as well as other early '90s songs. Even when 2012 was actually happening, (especially during holiday 2012) I thought that the early '90s were obviously back. 2012 was pretty much the neo-1992.

Regarding 2013 and 2014, the early '90s only expanded on it's influence. I remember hearing "What Is Love" a freaking lot in 2013. SO MUCH SO that I consider it the flagship song of 1993. TLC also got a biopic made about them from hallmark in '13. There was also a lot of nostalgia for Aaliyah back in 2014 as well, because they made a biopic about her, again by hallmark. I remember 2014 as the year in which Generation X nostalgia for the '90s first kicked off.

The Backstreet Boys also did get together a few years ago.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/17/15 at 10:44 am

I disagree with this. On this website your theory probably applies, but in the real world definitely not. In 2005, I remember hearing a lot of new wave songs on the radio, television, and at the stores. The late aughts I remember being all about hair metal and early hip-hop nostalgia. Motley Crue and Run DMC I remember hearing a lot. Everywhere. People had been begging Activision to include Motley Crue in their Guitar Hero games for a long, long time before it finally happened with Guitar Hero 5 in 2009. The scene kids basically revived hair metal clothing and hairstyles as well. Yuck!  8-P

Also, having been 16 in 2012, I distinctly remember there being early '90s nostalgia in 2012. As a matter of fact, that was when I first started hearing grunge bands such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Radiohead on classic rock radio. 2012 was when Nirvana went from being viewed as "just another '90s rock band" to being the immortal rock gods that they are today. 2012 was also when the bright colors and guido-y high top sneakers of the late aughts/very early '10s went away and were replaced by flannel and combat boots. I remember hearing Sir-Mix A lot's "Baby Got Back" quite often in 2012 as well as other early '90s songs. Even when 2012 was actually happening, (especially during holiday 2012) I thought that the early '90s were obviously back. 2012 was pretty much the neo-1992.

Regarding 2013 and 2014, the early '90s only expanded on it's influence. I remember hearing "What Is Love" a freaking lot in 2013. SO MUCH SO that I consider it the flagship song of 1993. TLC also got a biopic made about them from hallmark in '13. There was also a lot of nostalgia for Aaliyah back in 2014 as well, because they made a biopic about her, again by hallmark. I remember 2014 as the year in which Generation X nostalgia for the '90s first kicked off.

The Backstreet Boys also did get together a few years ago.

Well, maybe it was kinda the dominant year for early 90s nostalgia in reality though.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/23/15 at 12:09 am

With the return of so many sequels from movies from the early 2000's like Finding Dory, Toy Story 4, Incredible 2, etc, 2000s nostalgia is starting to creep over very quickly. As a 2000s kid I am very excited for that!

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/23/15 at 2:54 am

Yeah, it's pretty bad that they're still treating 90s nostalgia like a religion, even though it's been eight years since that bullcrap started to rise. It's not really fair that 90s kids still have a big reputation over the Internet, yet 2000s kids are like the underground community of it.

I read that whole list and remember it all. I don't know why people have to get hoity toity about it. It was fun but none of it matters now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/23/15 at 9:54 am

With the return of so many sequels from movies from the early 2000's like Finding Dory, Toy Story 4, Incredible 2, etc, 2000s nostalgia is starting to creep over very quickly. As a 2000s kid I am very excited for that!

I think Toy Story 4 is just a sequel to the third movie. But besides that, it's cool with having these movies coming back as sequels from the early 2000s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/15 at 2:51 pm

I think Toy Story 4 is just a sequel to the third movie. But besides that, it's cool with having these movies coming back as sequels from the early 2000s.
Toy Story will be when Woody is finally about to get his own romantic comedy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/what-toy-story-4-will-be-about_55ce4132e4b055a6dab05bbb

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/25/15 at 4:29 pm

I read that whole list and remember it all. I don't know why people have to get hoity toity about it. It was fun but none of it matters now.

I agree. It only seems like 90s nostalgia is starting to die off since many people really don't give a crap about it anymore. Hell, I think that the early 2000s seem more nostalgic to everybody than the late 90s.

Check for new replies or respond here...