inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Goodfellas actor Frank Sivero loses his lawsuit against The Simpsons

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/15 at 11:43 am

Goodfellas actor Frank Sivero has lost his case against The Simpsons, having claimed that their gangster character Louie was based on him and demanding $250m for the character’s appearances on the show, movie and associated video-games.

Goodfellas actor Frank Sivero has lost his case against The Simpsons, having claimed that their gangster character Louie was based on him and demanding $250m for the character’s appearances on the show, movie and associated video-games.

The judge threw out the case, siding with 20th Century Fox, despite Sivero’s claims that there were many features of the character, including the curly hair and the sideburns, which were copied from his own likeness.

Having allegedly lived next door to some Simpsons writers in 1989 and previously discussed becoming involved in the show with James L. Brooks, Sivero’s case was that the character had been based completely on him.

The character of Louie has appeared in 15 episodes of the show so far.

But judge Rita Miller shot down the assertion, saying in the court hearing this week:  ‘If I was a teenage girl and I had a crush on your client, would I be satisfied with a pin-up of the character Louie?’

Fox defended themselves by saying that the character of Louie was based on several standard mobster stereotypes, which the judge accepted.

Responding to the outcome afterwords, Sivero said: ‘I think the judge had her mind made up and clearly relied on information she should not have relied on.’

It is not yet clear whether he will appeal the decision.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/07/goodfellas-actor-frank-sivero-loses-his-lawsuit-against-the-simpsons-5331958/#ixzz3i9GD4ePi

Subject: Re: Goodfellas actor Frank Sivero loses his lawsuit against The Simpsons

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/15 at 11:47 am

Ways in which Louie is different to Frank

Louie has yellow skin for a start
Louie has a monobrow, unlike Frank, whose eyebrows, while distinctive, are most definitely separate entities
Louie has a mob boss called Fat Tony, who has never been Frank’s leader in any Goodfellas film
The voice of Louie sounds far more like Joe Pesci, as intended by Simpsons bosses
Louie struggles to make a Manhattan cocktail. Frank’s cocktail mixing abilities remain unconfirmed
Louie has had a punch up with Mark Hamill, who never even finished Jedi school. Frank has never had any beef with the Star Wars actor
Louie attends NRA meetings in the front rooms of neighbours who shoot open cans of beer. As far as we know, this is not true of Frank

Subject: Re: Goodfellas actor Frank Sivero loses his lawsuit against The Simpsons

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/15 at 11:54 am

The Simpsons should at least give him credit, as they probably based one of the mob characters from Frank's Goodfellas character. It's not fair at all if they don't do that.

Written By: snozberries on 08/07/15 at 11:56 am

The guy is an idiot... he can't claim rights over a character he played on screen... he was acting... he has ownership of that character... the only people who can sue the Simpsons are as follows... p
Directed by        Martin Scorsese        

Writing Credits (WGA)          Nicholas Pileggi         ... (book "Wiseguy") Nicholas Pileggi         ... (screenplay) & Martin Scorsese         ... (screenplay)

Fact!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/15 at 12:00 pm

The guy is an idiot... he can't claim rights over a character he played on screen... he was acting... he has ownership of that character... the only people who can sue the Simpsons are as follows... p
Directed by        Martin Scorsese        

Writing Credits (WGA)          Nicholas Pileggi         ... (book "Wiseguy") Nicholas Pileggi         ... (screenplay) & Martin Scorsese         ... (screenplay)

Fact!
Now has Martin Scorsese time for any legal battles?

Written By: snozberries on 08/07/15 at 12:03 pm

I doubt he needs the money... plus he probably gets it...

Frank on the other hand... hasn't had a role since 2008 so he probably thought this would be easy cash... he was wrong.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/15 at 12:05 pm

...or he could send the boys round?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/07/15 at 12:18 pm

I doubt he needs the money... plus he probably gets it...

Frank on the other hand... hasn't had a role since 2008 so he probably thought this would be easy cash... he was wrong.

Damn, that sucks for him. I wonder what he does right now?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/07/15 at 3:26 pm

I thought that Jimmy Burke had impaled this guy on a meat hook in a freezer truck.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/15 at 3:27 pm

I thought that Jimmy Burke had impaled this guy on a meat hook in a freezer truck.
Now that would great on the Cluedo board?

Check for new replies or respond here...