inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Former President Jimmy Carter Diagnosed with Cancer

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/12/15 at 6:06 pm

The news is running a story that Mr. Carter had a cancerous mass removed from his liver  recently, and that it "has spread to other areas".

The Carter family has a long history of Cancer; three of Jimmy's siblings died from pancreatic cancer. Let's hope that cancer does not cut his life short, too.  :-\\

Subject: Re: Former President Jimmy Carter Diagnosed with Cancer

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/15 at 6:58 pm

Well, he's 90 years old and I would say that he lived a long life. Hell, even being the President of the United States seems to be a big accomplishment to his life, as a lot of people would go to his funeral, including some U.S. government officials.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/12/15 at 7:28 pm

I have a lot of respect for Jimmy Carter. I admit that I wasn't a fan of his when he was president but I really didn't know too much about the ways of the world back then. But what really struck me about Carter was a video of him building houses for Habitat For Humanity. I thought, "WOW, a former president who didn't have to do anything was building homes for those less fortunate." He went up at least 12 points in my book. And of course he won the Nobel Peace Prize years ago.

I later found out that Carter put solar panels on the White House-long before solar was the "in thing." (Ronald Reagan took them down.  >:( >:( >:( ).

I was saddened when I heard the news about his cancer. At his age, it is highly unlikely that he can beat it. I just hope it is not too painful.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/13/15 at 3:00 pm

The news is running a story that Mr. Carter had a cancerous mass removed from his liver  recently, and that it "has spread to other areas".

The Carter family has a long history of Cancer; three of Jimmy's siblings died from pancreatic cancer. Let's hope that cancer does not cut his life short, too.  :-\\

I hope he pulls through. :(

Written By: 80sfan on 08/13/15 at 8:19 pm

I have a lot of respect for Jimmy Carter. I admit that I wasn't a fan of his when he was president but I really didn't know too much about the ways of the world back then. But what really struck me about Carter was a video of him building houses for Habitat For Humanity. I thought, "WOW, a former president who didn't have to do anything was building homes for those less fortunate." He went up at least 12 points in my book. And of course he won the Nobel Peace Prize years ago.

I later found out that Carter put solar panels on the White House-long before solar was the "in thing." (Ronald Reagan took them down.  >:( >:( >:( ).

I was saddened when I heard the news about his cancer. At his age, it is highly unlikely that he can beat it. I just hope it is not too painful.

Cat

My impression of him is that people don't like him as a president but may like him as a person. I don't know too much about politics so that's all I can say.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/14/15 at 1:05 pm

My impression of him is that people don't like him as a president but may like him as a person. I don't know too much about politics so that's all I can say.

My political views were different when he was in office then they are now. If I had the same views as I have now, I would have voted for him.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/14/15 at 5:38 pm

Carter presided over a presidency that projected an emasculated, weak-kneed foreign image and a disastrous domestic policy with rampant inflation and a thorough lack of national confidence.  The failure of the Iran rescue mission was symbolic of the whole Carter presidency.

By the end of his presidency, pretty much anybody the Republicans put up to run against him would have won.  The Democrats made a strategic blunder by nominating Carter for a second term.

All that said, I always thought he was a nice guy, and honorable.  But being a nice guy does not make for an effective POTUS.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/14/15 at 6:34 pm

Carter presided over a presidency that projected an emasculated, weak-kneed foreign image and a disastrous domestic policy with rampant inflation and a thorough lack of national confidence.  The failure of the Iran rescue mission was symbolic of the whole Carter presidency.

By the end of his presidency, pretty much anybody the Republicans put up to run against him would have won.  The Democrats made a strategic blunder by nominating Carter for a second term.

All that said, I always thought he was a nice guy, and honorable.  But being a nice guy does not make for an effective POTUS.

I met someone who worked on that rescue mission and they told me there were so many security leaks it was unreal. Also, I know that there were a lot of people who undermined the presidency like Ronald Reagan. Why else were the hostages released on the exact day he was inaugurated? Can you, "Iran Contra?"

Yeah, Jimmy Carter was and still is a boy scout. Nothing wrong with that.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/14/15 at 6:52 pm

I met someone who worked on that rescue mission and they told me there were so many security leaks it was unreal.

That mission did not fail due to security leaks.  It failed due to exceedingly poor contingency planning, and failure of leadership.  No situational awareness, no backup plan, just failure.

I gotta give O'bama credit, if he had launched a similar operation he would have made sure that the planning was done right, like when he had Bin Laden snuffed.  The Bin Laden operation stared off with a crash but they had so many layers planned, the mission continued.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/15 at 7:13 pm

Karma.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/16/15 at 6:35 am

That mission did not fail due to security leaks.  It failed due to exceedingly poor contingency planning, and failure of leadership.  No situational awareness, no backup plan, just failure.

I gotta give O'bama credit, if he had launched a similar operation he would have made sure that the planning was done right, like when he had Bin Laden snuffed.  The Bin Laden operation stared off with a crash but they had so many layers planned, the mission continued.

Props for recognizing that no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy, no matter who's commander-in-chief. 

As for Carter himself?  Loathed him as President.  Loathed his defense of dictators as ex-President.  And I'll still feel bad about having goodbye to Jimmy because not only did he end the prohibition against homebrewing.  An increasse in the quality of life of 300,000,000 Americans balances out the continued misery of the few tens of millions living under the various dictatorships he legitimized - the dictatorships would have continued without his help, but he literally kickstarted the homebrewing and craft beer movement back in the day.  He made my life better, and the lives of his fellow Americans better, even if it wasn't quite what he wanted to be remembered for.  As I set aside my beer, I'll also call out his work for Habitat for Humanity, involving actually lifting a damn hammer and doing some of the work himself in getting the idea off the ground, tilts the balance in his faor. 

What constitutes a dctatorship - Mugabe, Arafat, Castro, Chavez, Kim Jong-Whatever - is in the eye of the beholder.  It's not like he had anything to actually gain from supporting any of those bozos, he just did it because he thought it was right.  I think he was wrong to legitizmize them, but I don't think he was being evil when he did it.  Just naive. 

Sic transit gloria Carter.  Not a great President.  But probably the best ex-President we ever had.  Good guy.  I'll raise a beer in his honor when he's gone.  We will not see his like again.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/16/15 at 9:13 am

And I'll still feel bad about having goodbye to Jimmy because not only did he end the prohibition against homebrewing.  An increasse in the quality of life of 300,000,000 Americans balances out the continued misery of the few tens of millions living under the various dictatorships he legitimized - the dictatorships would have continued without his help, but he literally kickstarted the homebrewing and craft beer movement back in the day. 

You can thank him for all those piles of spent nuclear fuel rods sitting around the country in glorified swimming pools.  It was Carter who signed an executive order banning breeder reactors. (Admittedly no president since has rescinded the order)

Meanwhile, the French went ahead and did it, and they have exactly one spent fuel storage area in La Hague, about the size of a two basketball courts, because they use breeder reactors to recycle spent fuel rods.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/20/15 at 11:30 am

Just saw in the news that his cancer is melanoma, and has spread to his brain.

Not a good situation at any age. Prognosis is not going to be good.  :-\\

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/20/15 at 12:33 pm

Well, if he's going to die in a few months maybe (I'm not sure), then I might say he lived a good life. Besides, the man is 90 years old. So, it's kinda okay for him to die that old.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/15 at 2:32 pm

I doubt if the prognosis will be good, he is old and he had a great life.

Check for new replies or respond here...