inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will TV get boring throughout the whole 2010s?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/15 at 2:31 pm

I mean, this whole decade doesn't seem to offer anybody good stuff. Especially HBO, which was really popular back in the 80s, 90s and 2000s, for christ's sakes. Back then, there would be a lot of people who would watch the latest episodes of their favorite shows in the 90s and 2000s. Nowadays, it just seems like only a few million people will care about it. It's like they have a short attention span and will just watch a show after another. It's not really good news for networks that had such admirable fans. Does anybody else agree with me?

Subject: Re: Will TV get boring throughout the whole 2010s?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/15 at 2:33 pm

Here in the UK the television is perfect,  with seasonal shows about to begin, and will run to Christmas.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/15 at 3:18 pm

I'm hoping television will get better throughout the 2010's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/15 at 3:40 pm

I'm hoping television will get better throughout the 2010's.

Me too. I'm happy that some networks are getting better shows in the 2010s, but it's not giving me a renaissance era.

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/15 at 9:32 pm

Are you kidding???

HBO has one of the best shows on tv GOT!

We've got
Walking Dead
orphan black
how to get Away with Murder
Scandal
The goldbergs
Modern family
Black-ish
Empire
Izombie
Homeland
The left overs
Shameless
American horror story
The knick
Penny dreadful
Better call Saul
House of lies

And a bunch of other great shows.

Don't even get me started on sense 8
Orange is the new black
House of cards

There are plenty of amazing shows I didn't include the shows like sons, mad men and justified and community because they recently ended their run but the networks are flush with gems if you're willing to take the time to look for them and put in the effort to watch them

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/15 at 9:43 pm

Are you kidding???

HBO has one of the best shows on tv GOT!

We've got
Walking Dead
orphan black
how to get Away with Murder
Scandal
The goldbergs
Modern family
Black-ish
Empire
Izombie
Homeland
The left overs
Shameless
American horror story
The knick
Penny dreadful
Better call Saul
House of lies

And a bunch of other great shows.

Don't even get me started on sense 8
Orange is the new black
House of cards

There are plenty of amazing shows I didn't include the shows like sons, mad men and justified and community because they recently ended their run but the networks are flush with gems if you're willing to take the time to look for them and put in the effort to watch them

:o Okay, I've stand corrected then. There is good shows in the 2010s, especially American Horror Story. Thanks for the info.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/15 at 11:07 pm

The music industry needs to take notes from the television industry, or at least Netflix!  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/15 at 11:51 pm

:o Okay, I've stand corrected then. There is good shows in the 2010s, especially American Horror Story. Thanks for the info.

You're welcome.

I'm looking forward to Fear the Walking Dead when it premieres on Sunday. It hasn't even aired yet and it's already been picked up for a second season.  That's rare.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/15 at 7:12 am

The music industry needs to take notes from the television industry, or at least Netflix!  ::)

I agree, that needs to happen too.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/20/15 at 7:18 am

I agree, that needs to happen too.

I listened to modern mainstream music on the radio, in my car yesterday, music was terrible!!  8-P  8-P

Written By: Howard on 08/20/15 at 7:44 am

I listened to modern mainstream music on the radio, in my car yesterday, music was terrible!!  8-P  8-P

It just hasn't been the same anymore.  :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/20/15 at 10:17 am

Have you ever tried listening to your CDs, if your car has a CD player installed in it? That's a good alternative to me.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/15 at 2:33 pm

Have you ever tried listening to your CDs, if your car has a CD player installed in it? That's a good alternative to me.

I listen to my 80's music on YouTube.

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/15 at 2:57 pm

Its 2015... I plug in my iPhone to my radio (my radio doesn't have blue tooth) and listen to the music on my ipod app...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/20/15 at 3:37 pm

Its 2015... I plug in my iPhone to my radio (my radio doesn't have blue tooth) and listen to the music on my ipod app...

Some people still use CDs.

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/15 at 7:03 pm

I know... its just rare.... then again howard still has a walkman  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/20/15 at 7:16 pm

Time to make a mixed CD!!  :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/20/15 at 7:39 pm

Time to make a mixed CD!!  :)

Exactly.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/15 at 7:14 am

Do you listen to music from the internet?

Written By: Howard on 08/21/15 at 7:15 am

I still use CDs but barely listen to them.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/15 at 7:16 am

I know... its just rare.... then again howard still has a walkman  ;D

I still have a walkman, it's stored somewhere, probably collecting dust.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/15 at 7:17 am

I still have a walkman, it's stored somewhere, probably collecting dust.
Will it still work?

Written By: Howard on 08/21/15 at 8:08 am

Will it still work?

I don't think so.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/15 at 8:12 am

I don't think so.
Worth trying out, check for the batteries too?

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/15 at 9:27 am

rarely... I have several thousand songs on my iPhone and streaming music from the internet drains the battery on my phone a lot faster than playing the music I have stored on the phone.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/15 at 12:38 pm

Radio listening comes through the Internet.

Written By: nally on 08/21/15 at 12:39 pm

Yes, many stations have the "listen live" option available through their website.

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/15 at 12:55 pm

Yes, many stations have the "listen live" option available through their website.

I do that back for two weeks I listened to a radio station on the internet. They were giving away Janet Jackson tix every few hours for a week  on two separate occasions and I did listen to internet radio while I was at work... but I never won any tix....  :-\\

I've only used Pandora about 4 times

Written By: Howard on 08/21/15 at 2:39 pm

Worth trying out, check for the batteries too?

You know something, I take that back I don't have it anymore, What I do have is an old portable CD player and a mini cassette player you bring to interviews.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/15 at 2:40 pm

rarely... I have several thousand songs on my iPhone and streaming music from the internet drains the battery on my phone a lot faster than playing the music I have stored on the phone.

I enjoy listening to my 80's music from the internet, better than listening to the radio these days.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/15 at 2:41 pm

and most of them have certain stations and genres you click on.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/15 at 2:43 pm

I do that back for two weeks I listened to a radio station on the internet. They were giving away Janet Jackson tix every few hours for a week  on two separate occasions and I did listen to internet radio while I was at work... but I never won any tix....  :-\\

I've only used Pandora about 4 times

I love Pandora and I also listen to Flashback radio which plays all 80's and Accuradio which plays a variety of just about everything.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/15 at 2:44 pm

When the chance to listen shows that have been previously broadcast.

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/15 at 4:12 pm

I love Pandora and I also listen to Flashback radio which plays all 80's and Accuradio which plays a variety of just about everything.

do you ever listen to Dj Midas's when he's on air?  or Green Jello??? they often advertise their shows on fb...

I listened to Midas a couple times... he said my name once  8) 

I haven't listened to Deb's Hogg & Dawg radio but I've meant to I just forget.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/15 at 7:02 am

do you ever listen to Dj Midas's when he's on air?  or Green Jello??? they often advertise their shows on fb...

I listened to Midas a couple times... he said my name once  8) 

I haven't listened to Deb's Hogg & Dawg radio but I've meant to I just forget.

When is DJ Midas on? ???

Written By: snozberries on 08/22/15 at 8:10 am

When is DJ Midas on? ???

I don't know. Usually on Saturdays radio renegade retro radio something like that.
If he still has a profile here the link is in his signature. 

I'll ask him on fB and let u know when his next show is

Written By: snozberries on 08/22/15 at 8:47 am

When is DJ Midas on? ???

Here is Deb's website... She is/was green jello http://www.hoganddawg.com/

Here is Midas' http://www.renegaderetro.com/ he uploads podcasts of his live Retro Dance Party shows to the site.

I think Bobo regularly listens to both

Written By: TheKid99 on 08/22/15 at 1:06 pm

I mostly listen to the radio, but not really popular music. Popular music was pretty good to me from 2009-2013 but last year and this year were just downright awful, and I am a nearly 16 year old guy. The whole rap and hip-hop mixing into pop has become too much, with the trends like "The Whip" or the "Nae-Nae". I would rather have the bubblegum pop from 2012 back than this autotuned rap crap. I like rock stations or 1960s-1990s "classics" stations. We use the tape in our Minivan to be able to listen to music from our phones.

I have to say that this decade has been pretty good in terms of television shows. Now I may have been born in 1999 and not really remember shows from 1999-2005, but here are a couple of shows I thought were pretty good.
The Middle ABC 2009-present
This show is often drawfed by the more popular and awarded Modern Family(A show I personally do not really like) but I say its a lot better than Modern Family. With Patricia Heaton and Niel Flynn who play as the Mother and Father of their three children(Patricia also played Debra in Everybody Loves Raymond and Niel Flynn played the jaintor in Scrubs. ). Axl Heck, the teenager/young man who is lazy and not really smart but has his moments. There also is Sue Heck, my personal favorite character from the show, who is a bright and optimistic teenager but has really bad luck and is overlooken by everyone. And finally Brick Heck, a fairly weird and "special" kid(The show never says it but I believe he has some type of special needs) who has weird obsessions. This show is coming up on its seventh season and I hope it gets more of the ABC spotlight soon. The show is also INCREDIBLY relatable with family life which makes the show have a bit of charm.

The Goldbergs ABC 2013-present
This show which is set in "1980 something" and has the 14 year old starring as the main character, Adam Goldberg who is surviving his adolescense in the 1980s. There also is Beverly Goldberg the sterotypical "helicopter parent", the easy going but anti-social father, Murray. His rebellious sister, Erica and the dimwitted brother Barry. The show is narrated by the same guy who voiced the Rat in Rattitoule. This show is coming up on its third season and is a suitible replacement to The Middle once that show ends. My parents who were born in the late 1960s get almost all of the refrences to 1980s culture, which makes it relatable to that generation of people who came of age in the 1980s. This show is pretty good.
Those are the two shows I watch regularly with my family.

The shows I think are good from this decade are
Mad Men AMC 2007-2015(This show was so great!!! Too bad it ended)
Better Call Saul AMC 2015-present
Fresh Off the Boat ABC 2014-present
Revenge ABC 2011-2015
Girl Meets World Disney 2014-present (This show may not be as good a Boy Meets World but it is fairly good in my opinion.)
These are just a couple of shows I like. Television is not really boring IMHO and there is five years left in this decade for shows to make their marks.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/15 at 1:36 pm

Here is Deb's website... She is/was green jello http://www.hoganddawg.com/

Here is Midas' http://www.renegaderetro.com/ he uploads podcasts of his live Retro Dance Party shows to the site.

I think Bobo regularly listens to both

Thanks I listen to Renegade Retro once in a while.

Check for new replies or respond here...