inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you think has been the best year for music/songs of this decade so far?

Written By: mqg96 on 08/22/15 at 11:03 am

It seems like since the late 2000's we've been in this weird electropop era of music here, and it's been going on for awhile now. However, at the same time, you've still had some really good hit songs here and there. Of course everybody has their favorite era of music, whether it's country, rap, hip hop, R&B, pop, grunge, etc. from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, etc. It all comes down to people's preference, and depending on which type of music you prefer that genre might have had a really good year for you when consistently throughout the entire year there were back to back great hits that you enjoyed. However let's look at the positive. I want to see y'all thoughts on the music of recently. Now since we are currently in the mid-2010's in 2015. Let's take a flashback and look at how the music has been throughout the first half of this decade (2010-2014). What year for music/songs has been y'all favorite of the decade so far?

http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/top-100-songs-of-the-year/?year=2010
zvZHWTiQwZ4

http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/top-100-songs-of-the-year/?year=2011
3AhAW19HeGY

http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/top-100-songs-of-the-year/?year=2012
VbqTTiMg5rs

http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/top-100-songs-of-the-year/?year=2013
sZVNF7wDxuo

http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/top-100-songs-of-the-year/?year=2014
PHvaLD9M5qg

Subject: Re: What do you think has been the best year for music/songs of this decade so far?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/15 at 11:39 am

2013 with the soundtrack to the movie "Gravity".

K3-YGVb6Tbw

Subject: Re: What do you think has been the best year for music/songs of this decade so far?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/22/15 at 11:41 am

2010, because it seems like the only good year of this decade where it still had 2000s culture.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/22/15 at 1:29 pm

Watching these videos, 2010 isn't as good as I though it was. The Ke$ha songs majorly downgrade the quality of the year, as well as bland songs such as "Hey Soul Sister" by Train. I find it to be better than 2006-2009 though. I'd give the year an overall 7/10 in quality.

I distinctly remember 2011 being a disappointing year for music. Watching the video, it was, but some of the songs have grown on me (meaning I like some of them now instead of disliking them). I can't believe I am saying this, but this makes me a little nostalgic for 2011. Although 2015 definitely has better music, my personal life in 2011 was fantastic. Mine is still good today, but I've been busy preparing for so much in my life, such as my freshman year of college. Unfortunately, this year features one of the worst songs of the decade: Party Rock Anthem. I never got the appeal of that song. I always thought it was trash, and the song doesn't have much of a melody. It's just dumb. Lady Gaga also released her disappointing "Born This Way" album. My overall score for the year is 6/10

Regarding the 2012 video, it brings back memories, but it was the worst year of the decade for music. It hosted one of the worst songs of the decade: Gangnam Style. Wherever they played it, in late 2012 and early 2013 it was annoying! I also disliked the Fun. songs, Cal Me Maybe, Somebody That I Used to Know, Glad You Came, Sexy and I Know It, and this is the year that One Direction hit it big in the USA. Even the best songs of the year are quite lackluster in comparison to the best songs of the other years of this decade, and don't even get me started on the best of other years in other decades. I give 2012 a 5/10

I remember 2013 being awful, but better than '12. Looking back at it now, I'm quite pleasantly surprised by the quality of many songs. It was generally almost all of the biggest hits that were bad. Thrift Shop, Blurred Lines, Harlem Shake, Can't Hold Us, Roar, and #Selfie were some of the worst songs of the decade (I'd say Harlem Shake was #1). However, 2013 had a lot of great songs, such the Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake tunes, Imagine Dragons, and standalone hits such as Get Lucky, Diamonds, Royals, Troublemaker, Counting Stars, Little Talks, and especially, Next to Me. I'd give this year an 8/10.

2014 was the same quality-wise as 2013. Of course many of them are still played on radio today (it's only been a year), but I think this is where popular music became distinctly different from the early 2010s, especially in the second half of the year. It's too recent in memory to go over this year, but I'll once again give this year an 8/10.

It's too soon to evaluate the 2010's. 2015 is only a little more than halfway through. I also notice that the last third or quarter of every year tends to have better music than the beginning. I feel this decade has yet to reach it's potential - both creatively, artistically, lyrically, musically, and eclectically. The electronic music trend has been around for so long that there's bound to be a jarring change soon. It started in 2006 for crying out loud! Other than that, 2015 has been the same as 2013 and 2014; good, but has major flaws. Still far better than the early 2010's.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/22/15 at 1:58 pm

2010 and 2011.  I really liked the more mature, edgy electropop of that era.  It still had some late '00s urban influences.  Those were the last years that I really felt like Top 40 was my generation's music.  Honestly I feel like late 2008-2011 was the best period for music during my lifetime. To me, music really started going downhill in 2012 when it became more oriented towards a pre-teen audience.  Everybody laughed at Rebecca Black's "Friday" in 2011, but it was excellent foreshadowing of where music would go in the summer of 2012.

2013 was by far the worst year of the decade so far for music.  2014 and 2015 have only been marginally better.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/22/15 at 4:57 pm

2010 is easily the highlight of 2010s-style music, imo.  The electropop sound that had entered the mainstream in 2009 had finally fully developed its identity by this year, and hit tracks were at their best in a truly long time.  Song production tended be fresh and head banging, and melodic progression was finally at the heart of music for the first time in about a decade.  Some of my favorite songs that were popular this year include:

Tik Tok / Ke$ha
Alejandro / Lady Gaga
In My Head / Jason Derulo
According to You / Orianthi
Nothin' on You / B.o.B. feat. Bruno Mars
Break Your Heart / Taio Cruz feat. Ludacris
Dynamite / Taio Cruz
All the Right Moves / OneRepublic
1901 / Phoenix
Sweet Disposition / The Temper Trap
Your Decision / Alice in Chains
Uprising / Muse
The Suburbs / Arcade Fire
Wasted Hours / Arcade Fire
Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) / Arcade Fire
Cooler Than Me / Mike Posner
DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love / Usher feat. Pitbull
I Like It / Enrique Iglesias feat. Pitbull
Just a Dream / Nelly
Yeah 3X / Chris Brown
Stereo Love / Edward Maya & Vika Jigulina
Sick of You / Cake
Tighten Up / The Black Keys
POWER / Kanye West
Little Lion Man / Mumford & Sons
Lisztomania / Phoenix
Teenage Dream / Katy Perry
Firework / Katy Perry

While the first half of 2011 also produced some really impressive stuff, music only went downhill from there, with 2013 being somewhat of an exception.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/22/15 at 8:20 pm

2013 for me.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/22/15 at 11:58 pm

Watching these videos, 2010 isn't as good as I though it was. The Ke$ha songs majorly downgrade the quality of the year, as well as bland songs such as "Hey Soul Sister" by Train. I find it to be better than 2006-2009 though. I'd give the year an overall 7/10 in quality.

I distinctly remember 2011 being a disappointing year for music. Watching the video, it was, but some of the songs have grown on me (meaning I like some of them now instead of disliking them). I can't believe I am saying this, but this makes me a little nostalgic for 2011. Although 2015 definitely has better music, my personal life in 2011 was fantastic. Mine is still good today, but I've been busy preparing for so much in my life, such as my freshman year of college. Unfortunately, this year features one of the worst songs of the decade: Party Rock Anthem. I never got the appeal of that song. I always thought it was trash, and the song doesn't have much of a melody. It's just dumb. Lady Gaga also released her disappointing "Born This Way" album. My overall score for the year is 6/10

Regarding the 2012 video, it brings back memories, but it was the worst year of the decade for music. It hosted one of the worst songs of the decade: Gangnam Style. Wherever they played it, in late 2012 and early 2013 it was annoying! I also disliked the Fun. songs, Cal Me Maybe, Somebody That I Used to Know, Glad You Came, Sexy and I Know It, and this is the year that One Direction hit it big in the USA. Even the best songs of the year are quite lackluster in comparison to the best songs of the other years of this decade, and don't even get me started on the best of other years in other decades. I give 2012 a 5/10

I remember 2013 being awful, but better than '12. Looking back at it now, I'm quite pleasantly surprised by the quality of many songs. It was generally almost all of the biggest hits that were bad. Thrift Shop, Blurred Lines, Harlem Shake, Can't Hold Us, Roar, and #Selfie were some of the worst songs of the decade (I'd say Harlem Shake was #1). However, 2013 had a lot of great songs, such the Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake tunes, Imagine Dragons, and standalone hits such as Get Lucky, Diamonds, Royals, Troublemaker, Counting Stars, Little Talks, and especially, Next to Me. I'd give this year an 8/10.

2014 was the same quality-wise as 2013. Of course many of them are still played on radio today (it's only been a year), but I think this is where popular music became distinctly different from the early 2010s, especially in the second half of the year. It's too recent in memory to go over this year, but I'll once again give this year an 8/10.

It's too soon to evaluate the 2010's. 2015 is only a little more than halfway through. I also notice that the last third or quarter of every year tends to have better music than the beginning. I feel this decade has yet to reach it's potential - both creatively, artistically, lyrically, musically, and eclectically. The electronic music trend has been around for so long that there's bound to be a jarring change soon. It started in 2006 for crying out loud! Other than that, 2015 has been the same as 2013 and 2014; good, but has major flaws. Still far better than the early 2010's.

It hasn't started it 2006 it started in 2008.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/22/15 at 11:59 pm

2013 was the best in my opinion.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/23/15 at 3:35 pm

For those who commented on their thoughts and opinions on the music of the 2010's decade so far, I would like to thank all of you for doing this. It was really great seeing y'all thoughts on the songs you really enjoyed and all the ratings on how the artists did during each year. Now it's time for my opinion on this. After much thought and detailed analysis. The best year for music of this entire decade IMO has been..... 2010 (TWENTY-TEN) HANDS DOWN!  :D :D :D There's nothing much you can say about this amazing year for music. As long as I've been in the target audience for pop cultural music my whole life, 2010 is my favorite year ever. Many songs have already been mentioned before, but what made this year so great is that not only so many great hip hop and R&B songs that kept coming out consistently on the radio, but 2010 was the year that got me to except other genres like pop or country due to how great it was at the time as well. So great that you'd go to college football games or NFL games and A LOT of the songs from 2010 were played so many times, and I still heard them up to as far as 2013 because of how great these were. The large wide selection of songs that came out in 2010 raging from different genres were extremely catchy with great lyrics. As somebody already mentioned in 2009 is when the electropop music started entering its golden age before it reached its absolute peak by 2010. Hearing all these great songs from 2009 into the year 2010 with more and more great ones coming out consistently, oh man the feels.  :D :D :D Again as someone already mentioned, I wholeheartedly agree that the music throughout 2010 had a more mature tone to it. It was a perfect balance. 2013 was a pretty good year too, however, it had too many teenboppy hipster songs that I just couldn't get into that just wasn't my taste in music. However, 2013 is still my 2nd favorite year nonetheless. Number 3 would probably be 2011, but that year did have its ups and downs. 2012, 2014, and 2015 have been hit or miss for me though. Along with one of the other posters who mentioned those 2010 songs (which I really enjoyed as well), here's some of my other favorites from that year as well. I remember back in Fall semester of my freshman year in 2010 listening and dancing to all of these with all of my friends at the football games, good times. THANK YOU so much 2010 for all of these epic titles.

j5-yKhDd64s 98WtmW-lfeE

GGXzlRoNtHU gk2yOxTuLck

QGJuMBdaqIw mqWq_48LxWQ

aZglqkCRNt8 8ESdn0MuJWQ
love it or hate it, but it was fun jamming to this
back during the 2010-2011 school year with your friends,
it's miles better than that "Nae Nae" crap that's for sure.                                                           

w8z_5ZtPzWI C-dvTjK_07c

uelHwf8o7_U 3mC2ixOAivA

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/24/15 at 5:14 pm

I say the best years for music as of right now are 2010, 2011 and 2013. Those were the years I listened to the songs; in addition, they even had diversity. 2012 was terrible except for a few good ones. Since last year, while there are some gems, most have been awful and not just mainstream, but even underground.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/24/15 at 5:29 pm

I agree! I feel the later years of the decade so far being 2013 & 2014 have been the best. Though 2010 & 2011 were decent though, but 2012 was god awful. It seems like since the core 10's has been amongst us (mid 13') pop culture in general has improved

Written By: Fearsword on 08/26/15 at 1:18 pm

I personally think 2011 is the best. My 2 favourite albums of the decade(so far) came out that year being Adele's 21 and Foo Fighters' Wasting Light.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/26/15 at 1:48 pm

It hasn't started it 2006 it started in 2008.

Perhaps in Canada, but not in the USA. We're in two totally different countries dude.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/26/15 at 2:00 pm

Anyways if I had to pick a year probably 2013

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/26/15 at 2:54 pm

2010 is easily the highlight of 2010s-style music, imo.  The electropop sound that had entered the mainstream in 2009 had finally fully developed its identity by this year, and hit tracks were at their best in a truly long time.  Song production tended be fresh and head banging, and melodic progression was finally at the heart of music for the first time in about a decade.  Some of my favorite songs that were popular this year include:

Tik Tok / Ke$ha
Alejandro / Lady Gaga
In My Head / Jason Derulo
According to You / Orianthi
Nothin' on You / B.o.B. feat. Bruno Mars
Break Your Heart / Taio Cruz feat. Ludacris
Dynamite / Taio Cruz
All the Right Moves / OneRepublic
1901 / Phoenix
Sweet Disposition / The Temper Trap
Your Decision / Alice in Chains
Uprising / Muse
The Suburbs / Arcade Fire
Wasted Hours / Arcade Fire
Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) / Arcade Fire
Cooler Than Me / Mike Posner
DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love / Usher feat. Pitbull
I Like It / Enrique Iglesias feat. Pitbull
Just a Dream / Nelly
Yeah 3X / Chris Brown
Stereo Love / Edward Maya & Vika Jigulina
Sick of You / Cake
Tighten Up / The Black Keys
POWER / Kanye West
Little Lion Man / Mumford & Sons
Lisztomania / Phoenix
Teenage Dream / Katy Perry
Firework / Katy Perry

While the first half of 2011 also produced some really impressive stuff, music only went downhill from there, with 2013 being somewhat of an exception.

Hey #Infinity, do you like obscure music from smaller artists?

Written By: #Infinity on 08/26/15 at 5:56 pm

Hey #Infinity, do you like obscure music from smaller artists?

A lot of the newer indie stuff I find really overrated, most of what I listen to is from the 80s and 90s.  However, 2009 and 2010 are definitely above-average years for non-mainstream music, as well.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/31/15 at 8:35 am

Best songs of the decade that I can think of right now:

Love the Way You Lie
Nothin' on You
Meet Me Halfway
Rolling in the Deep
Someone Like You
We Found Love
Lights
It Will Rain
Radioactive
Demons
Stand by Me
Come with Me Now
All of Me
Counting Stars
Renegades
Ex's & Oh's

And that's all I can think of right now. I think it's too early to make this topic. I think we should wait until 2019 to do this.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/31/15 at 8:37 am

A lot of the newer indie stuff I find really overrated, most of what I listen to is from the 80s and 90s.  However, 2009 and 2010 are definitely above-average years for non-mainstream music, as well.

Hey #Infinity, can you start an "Ask #Infinity" thread? I think you're really interesting and you seem like the type to give really intriguing answers to our questions.

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/31/15 at 9:05 am

I'd say 2013. It was laid back, after the noisy dance-pop and before this trap horror. :P

Written By: bchris02 on 08/31/15 at 10:55 am

2013 was by far the worst year for music of the 2010s and possibly my entire lifetime.  If you really like teen pop and music popularized through viral YouTube sensations (i.e. The Fox, Harlem Shake) I guess 2013 was decent. 

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/31/15 at 12:29 pm

I'd say 2013. It was laid back, after the noisy dance-pop and before this trap horror. :P

Perhaps in the Netherlands, but here in the USA trap rap was already hitting it big in 2012, with hints as early as 2011.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/31/15 at 1:31 pm

2013 was by far the worst year for music of the 2010s and possibly my entire lifetime.  If you really like teen pop and music popularized through viral YouTube sensations (i.e. The Fox, Harlem Shake) I guess 2013 was decent.

What makes you believe that 2013 was the worst year for music of the decade? You didn't like the new artists that popped like like Iggy, Ariana Grande, Lorde, Young Thug, etc., was it the teenybopper oriented music from the time, or any problems you had with that year? I mean you did have some decent ones like Suit & Tie by Justin Timberlake ft. Jay-Z or couple others, but give me your reasons. I agree 100% with your opinions on how 2010 had the more mature tone with electropop at its peak and much more variety of mainstream music raging from all genres.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/31/15 at 3:50 pm

Well you are entitled to your own opinion. But come on cut 13' some slack, it wasn't all bad. Infact here were some kickass songs from that awesome (IMO) year!

yyDUC1LUXSU

h5EofwRzit0

QUQsqBqxoR4

IsUsVbTj2AY

RubBzkZzpUA

uuZE_IRwLNI

GxgqpCdOKak

ab9176Srb5Y

IcrbM1l_BoI

IxxstCcJlsc

i-gyZ35074k

CevxZvSJLk8

y6Sxv-sUYtM

XbGs_qK2PQA

Y66j_BUCBMY

hT_nvWreIhg

93ASUImTedo

EHkozMIXZ8w

0KSOMA3QBU0

QK8mJJJvaes

_sV0S8qWSy0

JF8BRvqGCNs

nlcIKh6sBtc

OpQFFLBMEPI

ktvTqknDobU

Written By: bchris02 on 08/31/15 at 3:52 pm

What makes you believe that 2013 was the worst year for music of the decade? You didn't like the new artists that popped like like Iggy, Ariana Grande, Lorde, Young Thug, etc., was it the teenybopper oriented music from the time, or any problems you had with that year? I mean you did have some decent ones like Suit & Tie by Justin Timberlake ft. Jay-Z or couple others, but give me your reasons. I agree 100% with your opinions on how 2010 had the more mature tone with electropop at its peak and much more variety of mainstream music raging from all genres.

I really did not like the teenybopper vibe in 2013.  That was the year of female-oriented teen pop with artists like Ariana Grande, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, and Lorde ruling the show.  There were also a ton of one hit wonders that year that all sounded exactly like they got their inspiration from Rebecca Black.  The most memorable songs were songs like the Fox song and the Harlem Shake.  2014 was almost as bad but it had a bit more variety which helped make it a bit better.  I was also not big on the disco revival, which thankfully was very short-lived.  The electropop that year was watered down and boring compared to years prior.  Lady Gaga released Artflop, her first true flop.  Dubstep was dead.

2013 was also a rough time for my personal life.  I doubt I will ever look back on that year with nostalgia and I tend to not enjoy the music of times in my life that are the worst.

There were a few bright spots that year.  Alternative rock had a decent year.  True EDM (not electropop) was also pretty good in 2013.  You didn't hear that on the radio though outside of mixshows.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/31/15 at 3:58 pm

ocarinafan96,

Almost ALL of those songs, with the exception of the Eminem ones, are exactly why I didn't like 2013.  Hated the teen pop, disco revival, and couldn't stand to listen to songs like "The Best Day of my Life" when I was in the middle of the worst depression of my life.  The electropop is tolerable but watered down and boring compared to the late '00s and early '10s.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/31/15 at 4:49 pm

I'm surprised there still hasn't been a single vote for 2011.  It's not 2010, but I thought music that year was nonetheless quite solid, especially during the first half?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeWBS0JBNzQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Sd5c4o9UM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS76eS34Y0c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1vYbHHhqYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQl3WQQoQ0

Written By: mqg96 on 08/31/15 at 5:11 pm

I'm surprised there still hasn't been a single vote for 2011.  It's not 2010, but I thought music that year was nonetheless quite solid, especially during the first half?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeWBS0JBNzQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Sd5c4o9UM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS76eS34Y0c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1vYbHHhqYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQl3WQQoQ0

I agree, the 1st half of 2011 was like an extension from that epic year of 2010 music, which is why the 2010-2011 school year had its own feel or era of great music consistently coming out throughout the time, however the 2nd half of 2011 was like a weird phase or drop off before that letdown year in 2012. Some of these aren't my favorite compared to 2010 but certainly better than the later songs and what we have now. Here's some more from early or mid 2011 as well. (note that some might have debuted at the very end of 2010 and carried on in popularity throughout 2011 if that counts)

HAfFfqiYLp0

KQ6zr6kCPj8

c7tOAGY59uQ

fLexgOxsZu0

Written By: Dangermouth on 08/31/15 at 5:33 pm

None.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/31/15 at 5:42 pm

Here's some of my other favorites from the year 2010.

UePtoxDhJSw 1RnPB76mjxI

JMwi8vFXUpo Vysgv7qVYTo
the ORIGINAL "turnt up"

kdAj-dBNCi4 ox-lfowevqA

Written By: bchris02 on 08/31/15 at 5:51 pm

2011 had some good music.  It wasn't quite as good as 2010, which is why I think it hasn't had many votes in this thread, but it still had great songs and was definitely a part of the 2009-2012 electropop era.  Even the second half of the year and the first half of 2012 was still decent.  I think many people look back on 2011 as simply an extension of 2010 or "2010 lite" musically which is a good way to describe it.

2010 will be difficult to top musically.  So much significant stuff came out that year across many different genres.

Written By: sonikuu on 09/02/15 at 9:36 am

I would probably pick 2012 for singles, but this thread has reminded me how strong a year 2012 and the first half of 2011 was.  As for albums, 2013 takes the cake, but 2010 is a very close second and might just win depending on my mood.

I've spent a decent share of the 2010s in East Asia (about three years worth actually), so I'll offer my opinion on that too.  2011 was the best year.  It seemed like every major name in the industry put something out at that time.  2010 was a comparatively lackluster year for Asian music, probably cause they saved up all their ammo for 2011, making it an amazing year.  That said, 2015 has proven to be a very strong year so far for Japanese and Korean music. 

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/02/15 at 7:19 pm

2010 will be difficult to top musically.  So much significant stuff came out that year across many different genres.

While that year was a good year for music, it wasn't revolutionary. 2010 was no 1996. Nor was it a 1981, or a 1977. It was more on the level of 1988 in terms of quality: Good but not great.

Check for new replies or respond here...