inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lasting legacy of Rebecca Black's "Friday" in 2010s music?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/22/15 at 8:16 pm

kfVsfOSbJY0

A lot of people laughed at this video, but I think it was an excellent foreshadow of 2010s music.  When you think about it, are songs by the likes of Carly Rae Jepsen and Ariana Grande really that far off from "Friday"?  The song hit right as music was shifting from the more mature sound and themes of the late '00s and very early '10s to the new teen pop era that we've been in since 2012.  Katy Perry even did a song called "Last Friday Night" and the video featured Rebecca Black.  She also brought Rebecca Black on stage at one of her concerts and did the song "Friday" as a duet.

Does anybody else agree with me that "Friday" wasn't as much an Internet joke as it was a foreshadow of where music was headed?

Subject: Re: Lasting legacy of Rebecca Black's "Friday" in 2010s music?

Written By: 80sfan on 08/22/15 at 8:19 pm

It was a preview of how sucky mainstream could be. I like some songs on the radio but overall they're not for me!

Written By: bchris02 on 08/22/15 at 8:21 pm

It was a preview of how sucky mainstream could be. I like some songs on the radio but overall they're not for me!

True.  People laughed at "Friday" about how terrible it was, being basically a parody of what was wrong with mainstream music, but the very next year, "Call Me Maybe" was the song of the summer.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/22/15 at 9:53 pm

As boringly predictable mid-2010s pop music is, it's still far more listenable than Friday. Songs nowadays are polished and comprehensible, it's just that they take absolutely no chances whatsoever when it comes to song structure, production, and melodic complexity. Rebecca Black's Friday, on the other hand, is so embarrassingly amateurish that it makes Soulja Boy sound like an Oxford professor by comparison.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/22/15 at 10:00 pm

As boringly predictable mid-2010s pop music is, it's still far more listenable than Friday. Songs nowadays are polished and comprehensible, it's just that they take absolute no changes whatsoever when it comes to song structure, production, or melodic complexity. Rebecca Black's Friday, on the other hand, is so embarrassingly amateurish that it makes Soulja Boy sound like an Oxford professor by comparison.

Like the Oxford Professor of Poetry  ;D ;D ;D

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/1065870/black-dude-laugh-o.gif

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/22/15 at 10:19 pm

People actually considering Friday as something from the 2010s? That piece of crap was made in early 2011 and the original video was removed a few months later. Even though it was reuploaded shortly, it wasn't really that popular. It's just forgettable.

Written By: tv on 08/22/15 at 10:26 pm

kfVsfOSbJY0

A lot of people laughed at this video, but I think it was an excellent foreshadow of 2010s music.  When you think about it, are songs by the likes of Carly Rae Jepsen and Ariana Grande really that far off from "Friday"?  The song hit right as music was shifting from the more mature sound and themes of the late '00s and very early '10s to the new teen pop era that we've been in since 2012.  Katy Perry even did a song called "Last Friday Night" and the video featured Rebecca Black.  She also brought Rebecca Black on stage at one of her concerts and did the song "Friday" as a duet.

Does anybody else agree with me that "Friday" wasn't as much an Internet joke as it was a foreshadow of where music was headed?
Yeah I actually thought about this the other day on how Rebecca Black and Carly Rae Jaspen basically paved the way for Ariana Grande being popular now. Where are Carly Rae Jaspen and especially Rebecca Black now? They are basically passe. Its sort of like auto tune in 2010 it was popular but the artist(T-Pain) who had it originated was no longer popular.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/22/15 at 11:25 pm

Yeah I actually thought about this the other day on how Rebecca Black and Carly Rae Jaspen basically paved the way for Ariana Grande being popular now. Where are Carly Rae Jaspen and especially Rebecca Black now? They are basically passe. Its sort of like auto tune in 2010 it was popular but the artist(T-Pain) who had it originated was no longer popular.

Actually, he had Hey Baby (Drop It to the Floor) in late 2010 and 5 O'Clock in late 2011.  He certainly wasn't a ubiquitous presence anymore like he was in the late 2000s, but he managed to hang around for quite a while in spite of the disposability of snap music.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/22/15 at 11:52 pm

I actually completely forgot about this song. Brings back memories though. I don't think it foreshadowed anything. Mainstream music was doomed as soon as 2009 hit.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/15 at 2:46 pm

People actually considering Friday as something from the 2010s? That piece of crap was made in early 2011 and the original video was removed a few months later. Even though it was reuploaded shortly, it wasn't really that popular. It's just unforgettable.

Plus, it was ear-piercing too.  :P

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/23/15 at 7:59 pm

Nope, I see no foreshadowing related to today's current musical landscape. It's still an awful song; it sounds dated, it looks dated, and it sounds nothing like today.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/24/15 at 2:44 am

People actually considering Friday as something from the 2010s? That piece of crap was made in early 2011 and the original video was removed a few months later. Even though it was reuploaded shortly, it wasn't really that popular. It's just forgettable.

Bingo, that's what was confusing me when I looked at the date on this Youtube video. I knew this came out in early 2011 because I remember back during my freshmen year of high school it going viral all over the internet with Youtube responses and Facebook spams on my status, and it broke the record for the most disliked Youtube video of that week or even month. I honestly do feel like Rebecca Black's Friday song despite how atrocious it was did foreshadow the path or direction music was going to take in as this decade progressed. Especially the chunk of music that came out around the middle of 2012, or 2013. Like going in a more teenybopper edge with some music. Before Rebecca Black's Friday existed Electropop music was definitely still in its prime IMO. I'm honestly not sure if this applies at this point now though.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/15 at 2:40 pm

Nope, I see no foreshadowing related to today's current musical landscape. It's still an awful song; it sounds dated, it looks dated, and it sounds nothing like today.

Her voice sounds monotone.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/15 at 2:42 pm

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/32/32d29b4d308b51608ba49442a1776c76c3b5d08ade38913e036971cd05c3788b.jpg

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...