inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Reporter shot by gunman on live TV

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/27/15 at 8:03 am

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/on-air-killings-gripped-millions-in-social-media-storm/ar-BBm8WDR

Yesterday afternoon this was all over the news. A former employee of a Roanoke VA news station shot and killed a reporter and camera man while she gave an interview. The attack was planned down to where she would be and was recorded and uploaded by the shooter to social media. He had been fired in 2013  and had a grudge ever since. I didn't find more details than that yet, but I'm sure more will come.

Subject: Re: Reporter shot by gunman on live TV

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/15 at 8:04 am

I am shocked with this news, the news is covered with it over here.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/27/15 at 8:15 am

These people who kill are getting more bold about it, proud of what they do and go uploading it to social media. He didn't even do himself in after that. He sounds like he had an unstable personality to begin with. The article mentioned he had an incident with that reporter before and something happened that he had to be led out of the building.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/27/15 at 9:15 am

I actually saw the video, it was GRAPHIC and DISTURBING!! :\'( :\'( :\'(
I feel sooo bad for the victims family and friends.... :\'(

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/27/15 at 9:17 am

These people who kill are getting more bold about it, proud of what they do and go uploading it to social media. He didn't even do himself in after that. He sounds like he had an unstable personality to begin with. The article mentioned he had an incident with that reporter before and something happened that he had to be led out of the building.

You just never know, he sounded like he was GREATLY disturbed. I wish something could have been done to prevent this. I mean for god's sake, people are getting killed on live tv now!! >:( >:( >:(  That's just CRAZY.. :\'(  What's the world coming to?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/15 at 9:21 am

You just never know, he sounded like he was GREATLY disturbed. I wish something could have been done to prevent this. I mean for god's sake, people are getting killed on live tv now!! >:( >:( >:(  That's just CRAZY.. :\'(  What's the world coming to?
Something should now be done about the gun laws in the USA, but I believe it is all down to the right to bear arms?

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/27/15 at 9:23 am

We live in dark times that's what it's coming to. We'll know more as more comes out about it.

Something should now be done about the gun laws in the USA, but I believe it is all down to the right to bear arms?

It's more than just that. Mental illness is stigmatized and I suppose you can't always tell right away what's serious or just said out of frustration. I'm sure he exhibited behavior people close enough to him saw? Even with treatment people don't want to follow through on their pills or counseling or whatever they have to do. Even get it in the first place.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/15 at 11:11 am

When I heard this story, it made me cry. I could blame it on hormones but in a way, I am glad that I could cry because it shows that I am not accustomed to these stories that seem to happen all too frequently.

You are so right that something should be done. Unfortunately, we have a strong lobby called the National Rifle Association (NRA) who believes that "the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".  ::) They don't care who gets caught in the crossfire.

The NRA used to more of a social group, then they became a political group. Basically, it is the gun manufactures who "own" the NRA. With all of these mass shootings, they hide behind the Second Amendment to our Constitution. But, I think they misinterpret it.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

They forget the "A well regulated Militia" in their interpretation of it. They also don't realize that ALL rights are not absolute. The First Amendment which grants freedom of speech is not absolute. You can't yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre (unless there is a fire of course). Unfortunately, it seems that the NRA believes that even though you can't yell "Fire" you can fire in a crowded theatre like in Aurora, Co, & Lafayette, La.

Ok, I get off my soap box now.

Cat 

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/27/15 at 2:08 pm

If it were a white dude who shot three black people on TV it would be plastered all over the news "white dude shoots 3 blacks".  Similar if it were 3 gays that were shot you'd be hearing all sorts of "homophobia" blather.

A gay black man shoots three straight white people on live TV and you hear none of the same sort of stuff.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/15 at 2:49 pm

and also in the newspaper.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/15 at 2:50 pm

Then he shot himself. ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/27/15 at 2:51 pm

people are shooting people. :(

Written By: Howard on 08/27/15 at 2:52 pm

What can be done?

Written By: nally on 08/27/15 at 2:52 pm

people are shooting people. :(

It's just awful. :\'( I wish people wouldn't resort to this kinda thing...

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/15 at 2:53 pm

What can be done?
Stricter legislation brought in?

Written By: snozberries on 08/27/15 at 4:11 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/on-air-killings-gripped-millions-in-social-media-storm/ar-BBm8WDR

Yesterday afternoon this was all over the news. A former employee of a Roanoke VA news station shot and killed a reporter and camera man while she gave an interview. The attack was planned down to where she would be and was recorded and uploaded by the shooter to social media. He had been fired in 2013  and had a grudge ever since. I didn't find more details than that yet, but I'm sure more will come.

The gunman posted video of himself pointing the gun at the reporter mid broadcast. The camera swings as he shoots but you can hear it... someone else reposted this video on youtube along with the video of the on air broadcast of the reporter and cameraman (and the woman being interviewed who no one talks about) being shot....

I made a comment that the video should be removed and the online psychos are coming out of the woodwork harrassing me for my comment... Fun... Not.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/15 at 4:35 pm

The gunman posted video of himself pointing the gun at the reporter mid broadcast. The camera swings as he shoots but you can hear it... someone else reposted this video on youtube along with the video of the on air broadcast of the reporter and cameraman (and the woman being interviewed who no one talks about) being shot....

I made a comment that the video should be removed and the online psychos are coming out of the woodwork harrassing me for my comment... Fun... Not.

The asshole WANTS everyone to watch it-which is why he posted it in the first place. I REFUSE to watch it because I'm not going to give him the satisfaction-I don't care if he is dead or not! BTW, I have heard about the interviewee getting shot, too. She underwent emergency surgery yesterday and will survive.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/27/15 at 5:13 pm

The asshole WANTS everyone to watch it-which is why he posted it in the first place. I REFUSE to watch it because I'm not going to give him the satisfaction-I don't care if he is dead or not! BTW, I have heard about the interviewee getting shot, too. She underwent emergency surgery yesterday and will survive.

Cat

good to know about the intervewee.... weirdly enough the interviewee was talking to the reporter about tourism... looking to boost it etc.... what a weird thing to discuss as you're being shot.

I went looking for information on the shooting and came across the live broadcast... In a weird way I didn't mind that being uploaded because it did air live... (FYI... you don't really see anything... you can hear the reporter screaming and the shots being fired  but the cameraman dropped the camera when he was shot so there isn't a lot of exposure to the incident)  But, what I have a problem with, was the actual footage the gunman took being uploaded...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/15 at 6:17 pm

good to know about the intervewee.... weirdly enough the interviewee was talking to the reporter about tourism... looking to boost it etc.... what a weird thing to discuss as you're being shot.

I went looking for information on the shooting and came across the live broadcast... In a weird way I didn't mind that being uploaded because it did air live... (FYI... you don't really see anything... you can hear the reporter screaming and the shots being fired  but the cameraman dropped the camera when he was shot so there isn't a lot of exposure to the incident)  But, what I have a problem with, was the actual footage the gunman took being uploaded...

I understand that.

What I really hate after we have one of these and the loved ones go around to all the networks and they are ALWAYS asked, "How do you feel?" REALLY??!!! I just lost my son/daughter/husband/wife/whoever. How do you THINK I feel? Last night Lawrence O'Donnell asked the RIGHT question. "Tell us about these people."

Cat

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/27/15 at 6:39 pm

I understand that.

What I really hate after we have one of these and the loved ones go around to all the networks and they are ALWAYS asked, "How do you feel?" REALLY??!!! I just lost my son/daughter/husband/wife/whoever. How do you THINK I feel? Last night Lawrence O'Donnell asked the RIGHT question. "Tell us about these people."

Cat

Cat

Agreed!

The year after I graduated HS my principal was murdered in Mexico.  His was was Mexican and they were visiting her family and he was killed in his sleep in the family home while she was out running errands (I think she or her family did it... she was a teacher at my HS as well and she and I NEVER got along)  :-\\    anyway... at the funeral the church was full... I mean overflowing so many people came (Former students and their families parents, spouses, children, teachers, friends, families of teachers & friends...) it was a big deal...

Outside the church was a reporter asking the how do you feel question... I looked at her and asked why she'd ask such an asinine question....  she stammered some kind of apology and I walked away... 

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/27/15 at 8:14 pm

The only thing I saw of it on the news was hearing a shot and seeing a camera dropping, the same thing you saw. I didn't see the video the shooter uploaded.

I understand that.

Cat

Cat

Why do they even ask that? And they always want to talk to them right away when they're probably not in the mood for it.

When I heard this story, it made me cry. I could blame it on hormones but in a way, I am glad that I could cry because it shows that I am not accustomed to these stories that seem to happen all too frequently.

You are so right that something should be done. Unfortunately, we have a strong lobby called the National Rifle Association (NRA) who believes that "the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".  ::) They don't care who gets caught in the crossfire.

The NRA used to more of a social group, then they became a political group. Basically, it is the gun manufactures who "own" the NRA. With all of these mass shootings, they hide behind the Second Amendment to our Constitution. But, I think they misinterpret it.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

They forget the "A well regulated Militia" in their interpretation of it. They also don't realize that ALL rights are not absolute. The First Amendment which grants freedom of speech is not absolute. You can't yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre (unless there is a fire of course). Unfortunately, it seems that the NRA believes that even though you can't yell "Fire" you can fire in a crowded theatre like in Aurora, Co, & Lafayette, La.

Ok, I get off my soap box now.

Cat

You can't have lawlessness either though, and that's just not how it works in modern times. Even if a person's intentions are good, they can still get in trouble for killing someone.

Written By: Howard on 08/28/15 at 7:14 am

Stricter legislation brought in?

or just shut down gun shops.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/28/15 at 10:35 am

or just shut down gun shops.

No.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 08/28/15 at 10:58 am

The only thing I saw of it on the news was hearing a shot and seeing a camera dropping, the same thing you saw. I didn't see the video the shooter uploaded.
Why do they even ask that? And they always want to talk to them right away when they're probably not in the mood for it.
You can't have lawlessness either though, and that's just not how it works in modern times. Even if a person's intentions are good, they can still get in trouble for killing someone.

I recommend you DONT watch the video it is graphic and disturbing!  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 08/28/15 at 3:22 pm

No.

Why not? That way people won't get a hold of them.

Written By: snozberries on 08/28/15 at 4:30 pm

This one of the best anti gun dialogue I've ever heard.... the dude is a comedian so it's funny but it's also pretty on point!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzHMFZalsMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzHMFZalsMM

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/15 at 10:28 am

This one of the best anti gun dialogue I've ever heard.... the dude is a comedian so it's funny but it's also pretty on point!!!

That was great. Too bad people don't really LISTEN to him. Too bad people don't LISTEN to a lot of people-except the NRA.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/29/15 at 6:13 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/27/us/virginia-shooting-wdbj-bryce-williams-parker-adams/

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/30/15 at 7:57 am

Why not? That way people won't get a hold of them.

That worked really well with Heroin and Fentanyl.

Written By: tv on 09/03/15 at 1:01 am

The guy should have killed himself and not the people. I mean he ended up killing himself anyway so why take 2 people lives along with your own? Its just really pointless. The guy was mad because of the white cop shooting a black man awhile ago in South Carolina which I understand. The white cop was completely reckless in that incident and was charged right after the incident happened. So why did that ex-newsman decide to kill people because of that incident that sent him over the top? He was just mentally unstable and should have been talking with a physcologist.

Written By: tv on 09/03/15 at 1:06 am

That was great. Too bad people don't really LISTEN to him. Too bad people don't LISTEN to a lot of people-except the NRA.

Cat
The guy was mentally unstable and your blaming the NRA for this incident  Why?

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/03/15 at 1:45 am

That worked really well with Heroin and Fentanyl.

And alcohol and cannabis, but that's another thread.

The guy should have killed himself and not the people. I mean he ended up killing himself anyway so why take 2 people lives along with your own? Its just really pointless.

Because social media.  He wanted us all to watch.  Or to brag that we hadn't watched.  It doesn't matter which choice we made, he still won.  (I chose to watch and learned something about humans and situational awareness.  It turns out that if they're distracted enough, you can stand in front of two people and even point a gun at them for at least 20 seconds and they'll still be completely oblivious to your presence.  Neat!  I'm a human: what do I fail to notice when I walk down the street every day?)

If he'd done it off-camera, if he hadn't uploaded his own camera's angle of it, it would have been reported as just another murder and nobody would have cared.  By doing it live, he guaranteed maximum coverage and maximum ratings.  Maximum likes.  Maximum hit counts. 

If we score in dead bodies, this guy isn't even on the radar, and even VATech Guy didn't even catch up to 1927's Kehoe.  But if we score in clicks and retweets, this jerkwad scored well -- about the only thing he could have done to increase his score would have been to have two dashcams, one livestreaming the view out the front of the car, and one streaming the view of his face, during the high speed pursuit.  He would have had a hard time catching up to Bud Dwyer's suicide or OJ's low-speed pursuit for viewership, but depending on how long he was able to lead the cops on a chase, and as long as the company hosting the livestream didn't pull his account in the middle of the chase, he might have been able to beat it.

Recommended 2015 serious reading/analysis of this event: A Murder On Live TV

Recommended 1987 satire-pretty-damn-close-to-reality analysis: Max Headroom S01E05, War -- because the media landscape of 2015 really is about getting those clicks, likes, and ad impressions, by any means necessary.  No different than the 80s craze for Nielsen viewer ratings.

The funniest part of all of this is that unlike the dystopia imagined in a 1987 sci-fi series, today's social media companies don't have to fund the murders.  They just have to wait for them to happen naturally.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/15 at 10:24 am

The guy was mentally unstable and your blaming the NRA for this incident  Why?

Because the NRA is a powerful lobbying group who is preventing legislation for universal background checks which will keep guns out of the hands of mentally unstable people.

Cat

Written By: tv on 09/03/15 at 12:10 pm

Because the NRA is a powerful lobbying group who is preventing legislation for universal background checks which will keep guns out of the hands of mentally unstable people.

Cat
Cat, I agree with you on background checks but the shooter in this incident or instance became recently unstable because he was "sent over the top" if you will by the white cop shooting a black man in South Carolina. I don't think a background check would have prevented this incident of 2 people getting shot to their death by one of heir ex-coworkers unless the gun was bought by the shooter in the last few months.

Written By: snozberries on 09/03/15 at 12:19 pm

Cat, I agree with you on background checks but the shooter in this incident or instance became recently unstable because he was "sent over the top" if you will by the white cop shooting a black man in South Carolina. I don't think a background check would have prevented this incident of 2 people getting shot to their death by one of heir ex-coworkers unless the gun was bought by the shooter in the last few months.

the shooter in this case didn't become unstable because of the SC incident... he was always unstable maybe he covered it better in the past or he regulated it via medicine but he didn't just go crazy... the crazy was inside him to begin with

Written By: tv on 09/03/15 at 12:21 pm

The joke was funny about trying to remember the combination number for the safe. I liked his joke about Prohibition too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/15 at 12:37 pm

When he was fired by the news station, he had to be escorted out of the building by police. If that doesn't scream unstable, I don't know what does.

Cat

Written By: tv on 09/03/15 at 12:54 pm

When he was fired by the news station, he had to be escorted out of the building by police. If that doesn't scream unstable, I don't know what does.

Cat
Yeah but it took him 2 years after he got fired to commit this terrible act.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/15 at 1:11 pm

Yeah but it took him 2 years after he got fired to commit this terrible act.

And if he had a background check before buying his firearms, it would have come up and he probably wouldn't have passed and wouldn't have been able to buy the firearms and not commit this terrible act.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/03/15 at 3:49 pm

The guy should have killed himself and not the people. I mean he ended up killing himself anyway so why take 2 people lives along with your own? Its just really pointless. The guy was mad because of the white cop shooting a black man awhile ago in South Carolina which I understand. The white cop was completely reckless in that incident and was charged right after the incident happened. So why did that ex-newsman decide to kill people because of that incident that sent him over the top? He was just mentally unstable and should have been talking with a physcologist.

He shot himself to prevent himself going to trial.

Written By: Howard on 09/03/15 at 3:51 pm

the shooter in this case didn't become unstable because of the SC incident... he was always unstable maybe he covered it better in the past or he regulated it via medicine but he didn't just go crazy... the crazy was inside him to begin with

This is why he should've taken his medicine when he should.

Written By: snozberries on 09/03/15 at 8:03 pm

This is why he should've taken his medicine when he should.

sometimes people who take medicine to balance themselves out stop taking medicine because they think they are better but they forget they need the medicine to stay balanced.... 
and sometimes people who should take medicine to be balanced don't want to take the medicine

Check for new replies or respond here...