inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Irony of 2010s Media

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/27/15 at 10:33 pm

I think it was ocarinafan96 that mentioned there was an "ironic" culture in the '10s. At first, I didn't understand what he meant, now I do. One aspect of it is how Millennials commend individualism when really they support collectivism: Sublimating one's individual interests and ideas for the "greater good" of the community. This is just the societal aspect of it; the zeitgeist, if you will.

Now, regarding popular culture, it's pretty simple and short: Gritty fashion/Clean music.

Since 2012, clothing and hairstyles have generally gotten more "homely" and militaristic. Tucking your ripped skinny jeans into your combat boots (or Doc Martens), Baja sweater hoodies, cargo jackets, henley shirts (long and short sleeve), Birkenstocks, jogger pants (both of which came in around '13), boat shoes, calf-socks, denim jackets, floral prints, hiking boots, all of these things that are stylish right now and have been for the past few years are very practical. The neon colors and the super tight jeans with the Bieber swoops just seemed too European party animal in comparison. Now, young people are basically dressing like they're going to see Nirvana when really they're going to see Zedd.

While we're on the topic of music, it's pretty obvious to everyone that mainstream music is very over-produced, very polished, doesn't have a flaw in it. The musical equivalent of a perfectly clean white room. That's the point: white rooms aren't interesting. The current most popular music trends (again since 2012) are EDM, bro-country, trap rap, and the occasional indie folk/rock tune. The electropop and dance-rap tunes of the very late '00s/very early '10s were phased out quickly. There are some great songs this era has produced, but obviously could be better. The fact that the very European-influenced EDM and some songs from Asia hit it big in the USA shows that culture has gotten more cosmopolitan in the past few years. #Infinity was right.

So, considering that this era has been going on for awhile now, and since things get old much faster than they did in the late 20th century, when do you think these current trends will be phased out? It's pretty standard that there's a shift in mass media every four years, coming from my personal experience.

It makes perfect sense. The aughts and teens have followed this pattern quite efficiently; 2000-2003, 2004-2007, 2008-2011, and 2012-2015. Also the transition years: 2000 (the late part of it), 2003, 2008, and 2012. I firmly believe we will see a change in 2016, whichever part of the year it is. Since everything new is a reaction to what was cool before, we'll see a turn in the tables: more streamlined and conventionally attractive fashions, and more aggressive, lower-fidelity music. Any thoughts? I hope it's not too long.

Subject: Re: The Irony of 2010s Media

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/27/15 at 11:44 pm

Basically, if 2016 doesn't bring anything good, then I don't know if I should like the 2010s in the future.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/28/15 at 12:30 am

I basically hate every single thing about the 2010s except for the increased acceptance of LGBT people, even though the prevalent collectivism of today's society basically nullifies that point, at least for people like me.  The newest technology of any significant convenience to me was invented in the early-mid-2000s.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/28/15 at 1:42 pm

Basically, if 2016 doesn't bring anything good, then I don't know if I should like the 2010s in the future.

Just live the entire year to see what happens. I expect the early portion of the year to be the same as what has been going on since 2012. I think afterwards things will start shifting during the spring and summer and by the last quarter or third of the year we will have begun a new era. That was 2012: Jan-Mar=Old, Apr-Aug=Shift, Sept-Dec=Current era.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/28/15 at 4:08 pm

I think it was ocarinafan96 that mentioned there was an "ironic" culture in the '10s. At first, I didn't understand what he meant, now I do. One aspect of it is how Millennials commend individualism when really they support collectivism: Sublimating one's individual interests and ideas for the "greater good" of the community. This is just the societal aspect of it; the zeitgeist, if you will.

Now, regarding popular culture, it's pretty simple and short: Gritty fashion/Clean music.

Since 2012, clothing and hairstyles have generally gotten more "homely" and militaristic. Tucking your ripped skinny jeans into your combat boots (or Doc Martens), Baja sweater hoodies, cargo jackets, henley shirts (long and short sleeve), Birkenstocks, jogger pants (both of which came in around '13), boat shoes, calf-socks, denim jackets, floral prints, hiking boots, all of these things that are stylish right now and have been for the past few years are very practical. The neon colors and the super tight jeans with the Bieber swoops just seemed too European party animal in comparison. Now, young people are basically dressing like they're going to see Nirvana when really they're going to see Zedd.

While we're on the topic of music, it's pretty obvious to everyone that mainstream music is very over-produced, very polished, doesn't have a flaw in it. The musical equivalent of a perfectly clean white room. That's the point: white rooms aren't interesting. The current most popular music trends (again since 2012) are EDM, bro-country, trap rap, and the occasional indie folk/rock tune. The electropop and dance-rap tunes of the very late '00s/very early '10s were phased out quickly. There are some great songs this era has produced, but obviously could be better. The fact that the very European-influenced EDM and some songs from Asia hit it big in the USA shows that culture has gotten more cosmopolitan in the past few years. #Infinity was right.

So, considering that this era has been going on for awhile now, and since things get old much faster than they did in the late 20th century, when do you think these current trends will be phased out? It's pretty standard that there's a shift in mass media every four years, coming from my personal experience.

It makes perfect sense. The aughts and teens have followed this pattern quite efficiently; 2000-2003, 2004-2007, 2008-2011, and 2012-2015. Also the transition years: 2000 (the late part of it), 2003, 2008, and 2012. I firmly believe we will see a change in 2016, whichever part of the year it is. Since everything new is a reaction to what was cool before, we'll see a turn in the tables: more streamlined and conventionally attractive fashions, and more aggressive, lower-fidelity music. Any thoughts? I hope it's not too long.

DING! DING! DING! You pretty explained everything that I agree with to the max. Pop culturally, politically, etc. All the transition years. It makes perfect sense that this pattern has been accurate since 2000 and depending on what goes on in America during Fall of this year or Spring of next year might determine the new era we might be in by 2016!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/28/15 at 6:47 pm

Just live the entire year to see what happens. I expect the early portion of the year to be the same as what has been going on since 2012. I think afterwards things will start shifting during the spring and summer and by the last quarter or third of the year we will have begun a new era. That was 2012: Jan-Mar=Old, Apr-Aug=Shift, Sept-Dec=Current era.

So, early 2016 would just be like the mid 2010s, but however, mid and late 2016 would be like the late 2010s?

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/29/15 at 1:45 am

So, early 2016 would just be like the mid 2010s, but however, mid and late 2016 would be like the late 2010s?

Maybe. Who knows? Only time will tell. However, those who live in rural areas, nerds, and people who don't keep up with what is cool will probably see 2016 as the same as the current era; therefore making the period in their point of view 2012-2016. However, for people who are hip and like to stay current on media trends (like myself), 2016 will probably be seen (more likely than not) as something new.

Written By: Dangermouth on 08/29/15 at 5:03 am

As an outsider (and I'll think more about what's said shortly and edit this post) the first thing that occurs to me is that there is (perhaps) some confusion/overlay with the 4 year cycle and your presidential elections.

Having but limited experience of your world, however, I can but only surmise some.

Ok, no need to edit: I see how the messageboard works out.

The larger idea of individualism vs and/or collectivism is interesting especially as it's a recurrent theme throughout history (wanders off to add another thought to something) ... ;

Insofar as fashion goes that is generated by the above diaglogue and those within the system e.g. which pre-fabricated group will wear what as determined by which (unoriginal) designer and thus be part of the consumerist push of what is 'in' and the counter-culture will then react to that as it must (else it not be what it is - both perceptually and in actuality) and that may well then lead to others who (in the terms of the music, for example) have been proponents of that which is currently not in vogue then being sought out by (comparable) 'thought-leaders' (odious phrase) and then promulgated to those who then look for (i.e. are told in one way or another) that which is 'different'.

TL;DR version. There is no originality and individuals live in huts in the wilderness. Perhaps the cycle is generated by the general elections you have?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 08/30/15 at 11:49 am

Yep your right on the money on that one. In a way it's sort of Neo 90's. I think around 2016 (most likely mid-late 16') we're most likely going to see a change in society. I think the last major one was 2012-2013 (more of an emphasis on 13' though) but I think the changes in 2016-2017 (due to the 2020 election) would be much greater and it will lead us to the late 10's/early 20's. We'll have to wait and see what comes, but I'm very optimistic!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/30/15 at 11:52 am

Maybe. Who knows? Only time will tell. However, those who live in rural areas, nerds, and people who don't keep up with what is cool will probably see 2016 as the same as the current era; therefore making the period in their point of view 2012-2016. However, for people who are hip and like to stay current on media trends (like myself), 2016 will probably be seen (more likely than not) as something new.

Well, I honestly don't care about this decade's pop culture, but would it really be that much of a change when 2016 is hit?

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/30/15 at 11:57 am

Well, I honestly don't care about this decade's pop culture, but would it really be that much of a change when 2016 is hit?

Well, this is all a prediction. We'll have to wait and see.

Written By: Howard on 08/30/15 at 2:25 pm

I'm an older man and I don't care about today's pop culture.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/30/15 at 3:01 pm

I'm an older man and I don't care about today's pop culture.

I can get that. Most old people (and adults) would rather care about the news and politics of every decade. I'm 15 and yet I really don't care about this decade's pop culture. Hell, I don't even watch that much television since it's just boring and dull to me.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/27/18 at 6:47 pm

The "big change" never happened lol....

Written By: Slim95 on 02/27/18 at 7:25 pm

The "big change" never happened lol....

There was a change in 2016, it just wasn't as huge as the OP thought it would be. But Trump getting elected along with some other changes really shook things up.

Check for new replies or respond here...