inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What happened to THE MALL ?

Written By: the2001 on 09/03/15 at 8:19 pm

Most of the classic malls you and me have gone to in the 2000s are now reduced to to dusty relics of the past.
I noticed newer malls are trying to make themseleves an entertainment detestation to bring in costumers by adding
spas and whatnot.

You walk into a mall in 2015 and this is what you notice.

No Kb toys, No Borders, No suncoast, No Sam Goody, No EB games
No circuit city, And the 90s color palate  of malls is now gone, repainted by Simon Malls
horrible BROWN paint scheme.

Subject: Re: What happened to THE MALL ?

Written By: mqg96 on 09/03/15 at 8:23 pm

Most of the classic malls you and me have gone to in the 2000s are now reduced to to dusty relics of the past.
I noticed newer malls are trying to make themseleves an entertainment detestation to bring in costumers by adding
spas and whatnot.

No circuit city, And the 90s color palate  of malls is now gone, repainted by Simon Malls

LOL, I feel ya man. Malls have been watered down the last several years compared to how it used to be throughout most of the last decade. Although EB games has been changed to Gamestop for years now so we still have that. (not sure if both are different though from what I remember). I miss Circuit City too. It doesn't really matter to me though, as long as the Food Court is still at the mall with some of those rare restaurants you don't get to have at your hometown then I'm find. But I agree with what you're saying though.

Written By: the2001 on 09/03/15 at 8:25 pm

LOL, I feel ya man. Malls have been watered down the last several years compared to how it used to be back throughout last decade. Although EB games is now called Gamestop so we still have that. I miss Circuit City too. It doesn't really matter to me though, as long as the Food Court is still at the mall with some of those rare restaurants you don't get to have at your hometown then I'm find. But I agree with what you're saying though.

It is so waterd down, like everything is painted BROWN like crap stain color, alot of malls by SIMON have used this color for mostly all of their malls.
So if you have a mall in your town that is really 90s looking with geometric shapes and etc, they have repainted it BROWN stained color, it looks so bad lol
Game Stop is not as good as EB, the people that work there are 2 pushy. People still go to malls  (just not the same as before) Its just... not the same.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/03/15 at 8:33 pm

It is so waterd down, like everything is painted BROWN like crap stain color, alot of malls by SIMON have used this color for mostly all of their malls.
So if you have a mall in your town that is really 90s looking with geometric shapes and etc, they have repainted it BROWN stained color, it looks so bad lol
Game Stop is not as good as EB, the people that work there are 2 pushy. People still go to malls  (just not the same as before) Its just... not the same.

Well since I live near Atlanta, there are tons of malls you can go to and a lot are very different. It depends on which one you go to. Around the Atlanta area you have Stonecrest Mall, North Dekalb Mall, South Dekalb Mall, Perimeter Mall, Lenox Square Mall, etc. and much more. Some malls have a large variety of high quality stores and clean restaurants, some malls have movies theaters and/or Dave & Buster. Some barely has any good stores or has terrible grade restaurants. It all depends. I agree that the culture of the malls in terms of the variety that was around back then was much better. But I think it depends on where you live and what type of mall you usually go inside.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/03/15 at 8:37 pm

Well, those stores were already going out of business (e.g. KB Toys and Circuit City) when the 2000s were almost ending. But I don't think you should be obsessed over this stuff. There's a lot of good stores that you can buy stuff. Why do you think they call them malls?

Written By: #Infinity on 09/03/15 at 10:37 pm

Well, those stores were already going out of business (e.g. KB Toys and Circuit City) when the 2000s were almost ending. But I don't think you should be obsessed over this stuff. There's a lot of good stores that you can buy stuff. Why do you think they call them malls?

Most of the stuff you listed in the beginning died because of evolving technology, hastened, too, by the Great Recession of the early 2010s.  Malls now are pretty much all about clothing designers that are in, with a movie cinema and some food places to keep guests around longer.  I've also noticed that the malls in San Diego are constantly renovating their appearance, I guess in order to not look outdated.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/03/15 at 11:15 pm

I live in a small town and here, the mall has only clothing stores aimed at teenage girls and nothing else.  I miss the days when it was an entertainment destination.  You had not only the popular clothing stores, but a full arcade, stores like Wherehouse Music and Camelot Music, stores like Babbage's, Waldenbooks, Borders, Suncoast, a couple of pet stores, art galleries, Discovery Zone, etc.  I remember in my preteen days when my mom would go clothes shopping and let me explore the mall on my own.  Those were such awesome days.  If I was a preteen today I would find it so boring because there wouldn't be anything there I would really care about.

Written By: Howard on 09/04/15 at 7:18 am

spas and whatnot.

I used to go to the malls long long time ago but no more, most of the stuff you see in malls now are basically online, technology killed the mall.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/04/15 at 9:35 am

I used to go to the malls long long time ago but no more, most of the stuff you see in malls now are basically online, technology killed the mall.

We still see a bunch of malls in America. Like, lots of them are still opened.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/15 at 9:39 am

The malls I have always been to are still open now. In fact, the shops inside are prospering. In fact I know a good shopping mall in London that is being extended.

Written By: Howard on 09/04/15 at 2:37 pm

We still see a bunch of malls in America. Like, lots of them are still opened.

I just don't feel like walking around billions of times like I used to anymore.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/15 at 3:10 pm

I just don't feel like walking around billions of times like I used to anymore.
I try to avoid them at the time of the school holidays, there are always children running around and banging into you.

Written By: Howard on 09/04/15 at 3:30 pm

I try to avoid them at the time of the school holidays, there are always children running around and banging into you.

between 2 and 3pm.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/15 at 5:00 pm

between 2 and 3pm.
All day!

Written By: ralfy on 09/05/15 at 2:53 am

Growing in many parts of the world.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/15 at 7:09 am

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--xs_pGfvN--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/195z42drw8wrwjpg.jpg

http://www.965malls.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/itsallabouttheacidwash-1024x689.jpg

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/1953939/83476028.jpg

What malls used to be in the early 1980's. ↑

Written By: bchris02 on 09/05/15 at 3:21 pm

I remember that in the '80s and early '90s, malls used to be a lot darker, usually with dark brick flooring and a lot of neon signage on the stores.  In the late '90s they started to be renovated to become more brighter and with more outside lighting in the main concourse.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/04/shopping-malls-1989_n_6269304.html

Written By: whistledog on 09/05/15 at 4:56 pm

My local mall has an EB Games, The Source (formerly known as The Source by Circuit City), HMV and a majority of the well-known jewellery, make-up, mobile phone, clothing stores and food court restaurants. 

With the popularity of streaming and downloading movies and music these days, HMV still does pretty well.  I buy stuff there probably once a week

Written By: Howard on 09/05/15 at 5:50 pm

I remember that in the '80s and early '90s, malls used to be a lot darker, usually with dark brick flooring and a lot of neon signage on the stores.  In the late '90s they started to be renovated to become more brighter and with more outside lighting in the main concourse.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/04/shopping-malls-1989_n_6269304.html

Those were good times.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/15 at 5:53 pm

speaking of malls, Me and My friend went to the mall this afternoon to walk around for a little while and you know what it is? I lost interest in malls, I just can't walk around as much as I used back in the late 80's-early 90's, That's just me. :(

Written By: ralfy on 09/06/15 at 8:12 am

I forgot to add this to my previous post:

"List of largest shopping malls in the world"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_shopping_malls_in_the_world

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/15 at 8:21 am

I forgot to add this to my previous post:

"List of largest shopping malls in the world"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_shopping_malls_in_the_world

I can tell you with first hand experience that the SM Megamall (at 3rd largest in the world) in Manila is very big indeed.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/06/15 at 11:16 am

Yeah I've noticed the presence of the mall has decreased. I vividly remember in the mid-late 00's pre teens, teens, young adults, heck everybody would go to the mall every Friday night. I think it's because of the wide variety of stores, Borders for book lovers, EB games & Gamestop for gamers, KB Toys & Toys R Us for kids, Build a Bear Workshop for teddy bear fans, the Disney Store for Disney fans, etc.

Now I go to the mall and all I see is Tweens and teeny bopper fashion stores...

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/15 at 11:33 am

Yeah I've noticed the presence of the mall has decreased. I vividly remember in the mid-late 00's pre teens, teens, young adults, heck everybody would go to the mall every Friday night. I think it's because of the wide variety of stores, Borders for book lovers, EB games & Gamestop for gamers, KB Toys & Toys R Us for kids, Build a Bear Workshop for teddy bear fans, the Disney Store for Disney fans, etc.

I remember going to Build a Bear Workshop and The Disney Store when I was around 7 or 8. Good times.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/06/15 at 12:17 pm

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/51/143923951_20fd5dd1c2.jpg

Written By: Howard on 09/06/15 at 2:57 pm

and hipster doofuses who are on Facebook and Twitter,looking down at their phones all the time.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 09/06/15 at 2:59 pm

I remember going to Build a Bear Workshop and The Disney Store when I was around 7 or 8. Good times.

I can remember malls back in the mid 80's- early 1990's.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/08/15 at 11:40 pm

The Northumberland Mall in my town is practically dead.  Since Zellers went bankrupt the whole east end of the mall is hardly functional and there's no more cool stores at our mall anymore.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/08/15 at 11:48 pm

Not at my outdoor mall. We have Barnes and Noble as well as some kids stores. The clothing stores that I go to there are American Apparel, American Eagle Outfitters, The Gap, Banana Republic, Macy's, Dillard's, Journey's, Steve Madden, Guess, Express, Payless Shoes, Lacoste, and some others that I can't remember right now.

And what do you mean by "teeny bopper fashion stores"? Justice and Claire's? Because none of the stores that I listed above are teenybopper at all.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/09/15 at 12:37 am

Not at my outdoor mall. We have Barnes and Noble as well as some kids stores. The clothing stores that I go to there are American Apparel, American Eagle Outfitters, The Gap, Banana Republic, Macy's, Dillard's, Journey's, Steve Madden, Guess, Express, Payless Shoes, Lacoste, and some others that I can't remember right now.

And what do you mean by "teeny bopper fashion stores"? Justice and Claire's? Because none of the stores that I listed above are teenybopper at all.

I don't think we're talking about outdoor malls, we're talking about regular malls like the legit malls that you go inside in order to get into all of your stores. There are outdoor malls like everywhere in certain towns. I agree that most of what you listed are not teenybopper with the exception of a couple like Macy's or Dillard's which has a lot of shopping girls in there. However, all of those are clothing stores though. If people are big fans of school shopping for new clothes each school year or anytime of the year you like to shop for clothes that's find with them, but I believe what most people in this thread are saying is that the variety of stores are much less in regular (indoor) malls nowadays and most of the malls are predominantly focusing on clothing stores rather than having more variety of other stores in the mall where you could buy tons of other stuff. Including other stores that's gone out of business as well.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/09/15 at 6:39 am

My local mall has an EB Games, The Source (formerly known as The Source by Circuit City), HMV and a majority of the well-known jewellery, make-up, mobile phone, clothing stores and food court restaurants. 

With the popularity of streaming and downloading movies and music these days, HMV still does pretty well.  I buy stuff there probably once a week

The last time I saw an EB Games, I was in grade school. Now it's all Game Stop. Circuit City was never in the malls here, always separate. The music store in the malls I've been to is FYE.

speaking of malls, Me and My friend went to the mall this afternoon to walk around for a little while and you know what it is? I lost interest in malls, I just can't walk around as much as I used back in the late 80's-early 90's, That's just me. :(

I used to be so eager to go shop at malls. Now it feels like more of a chore to walk around. I go in Barnes and Noble, get coffee, sit and read when I go.

Gap and Banana Republic are expensive! Express is nice though. I don't wear shoes from Payless, they have to be comfortable. I go to Sears for hoodies, Kohl's for shoes, The Buckle *sometimes* for jeans, and Gordman's for bargains! Usually shirts or cheap jeans and dresses. Whatever I find there!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/09/15 at 9:53 am

I don't think we're talking about outdoor malls, we're talking about regular malls like the legit malls that you go inside in order to get into all of your stores. There are outdoor malls like everywhere in certain towns. I agree that most of what you listed are not teenybopper with the exception of a couple like Macy's or Dillard's which has a lot of shopping girls in there. However, all of those are clothing stores though. If people are big fans of school shopping for new clothes each school year or anytime of the year you like to shop for clothes that's find with them, but I believe what most people in this thread are saying is that the variety of stores are much less in regular (indoor) malls nowadays and most of the malls are predominantly focusing on clothing stores rather than having more variety of other stores in the mall where you could buy tons of other stuff. Including other stores that's gone out of business as well.

Preach!!

Written By: Howard on 09/09/15 at 2:35 pm

The Northumberland Mall in my town is practically dead.  Since Zellers went bankrupt the whole east end of the mall is hardly functional and there's no more cool stores at our mall anymore.

So what is it now? ???

Written By: Howard on 09/09/15 at 2:38 pm

The last time I saw an EB Games, I was in grade school. Now it's all Game Stop. Circuit City was never in the malls here, always separate. The music store in the malls I've been to is FYE.
I used to be so eager to go shop at malls. Now it feels like more of a chore to walk around. I go in Barnes and Noble, get coffee, sit and read when I go.
Gap and Banana Republic are expensive! Express is nice though. I don't wear shoes from Payless, they have to be comfortable. I go to Sears for hoodies, Kohl's for shoes, The Buckle *sometimes* for jeans, and Gordman's for bargains! Usually shirts or cheap jeans and dresses. Whatever I find there!

I just walk around the mall just to look at the stores, I think I got bored with today's mall and the kids who go in there.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/09/15 at 7:30 pm

Yeah, it makes me sad driving past my childhood malls I used to go to around Toronto in the late 90s though the 00s and seeing them dying or getting repurposed. One particular childhood mall used to have good food, rides, and a hip, friendly, late 20th century community atmosphere, but new owners took over and kicked the vendors out who had been there for 30+ years.

Written By: the2001 on 09/17/15 at 4:13 pm

Yeah, it makes me sad driving past my childhood malls I used to go to n the late 90s thought the 00s and seeing them dying or getting reporposed. One particular childhood mall used to have good food and a hip, friendly, late 20th century community atmosphere, but new owners took over and kicked the vendors out who have been there for 30+ years.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/24/15 at 2:26 pm

I know what you mean. During my childhood (late 90s - early/mid 00s), malls were actually fun to go to. Tons of different stores (video games, movie stores, music stores, book stores, etc.). Now it's mostly bland hipster clothing stores (as someone who hates early-mid 2010s fashion, this is painful for me), and horrible smelling cologne or perfume. There's gotta be some way to revitalize malls. I think it's possible someday in the future. Maybe around the late 2010s or 2020s. We're just in a dark age of everything. Life in the early to mid 2010s is boring. Eventually something has got to give to make life exiting again. Making malls fun again might be one thing.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/24/15 at 9:00 pm

I know what you mean. During my childhood (late 90s - early/mid 00s), malls were actually fun to go to. Tons of different stores (video games, movie stores, music stores, book stores, etc.). Now it's mostly bland hipster clothing stores (as someone who hates early-mid 2010s fashion, this is painful for me), and horrible smelling cologne or perfume. There's gotta be some way to revitalize malls. I think it's possible someday in the future. Maybe around the late 2010s or 2020s. We're just in a dark age of everything. Life in the early to mid 2010s is boring. Eventually something has got to give to make life exiting again. Making malls fun again might be one thing.

I agree. Everything today is totally bland. When I was growing up (oh man, do I sound old...) there was at least some variety. People stood out more. Today, it seems everyone wears skinny jeans, thick glasses and flat hats with the sticker or has some stupid pompadour haircut. "Homies," Metalcore kids, hipsters all dress the same with just some slight variations of the style between the groups.  Everything is all about being boring and generic. That's our new politically correct society where everyone just plays it safe. I don't even care if in the new few years there's a revival of an old style (they have to do it right, though. No skinny jeans), just do something that sticks out for god sakes!

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/24/15 at 10:51 pm

I agree. Everything today is totally bland. When I was growing up (oh man, do I sound old...) there was at least some variety. People stood out more. Today, it seems everyone wears skinny jeans, thick glasses and flat hats with the sticker or has some stupid pompadour haircut. "Homies," Metalcore kids, hipsters all dress the same with just some slight variations of the style between the groups.  Everything is all about being boring and generic. That's our new politically correct society where everyone just plays it safe. I don't even care if in the new few years there's a revival of an old style (they have to do it right, though. No skinny jeans), just do something that sticks out for god sakes!

Exactly. Even though I'm only 22, I hate how things are in the mid 2010s. However, eventually something's got to give. I think things will shift away from the current culture around 2017. By 2021 it'll probably be completely different (more fresh). Don't know how malls will be, but it will certainly be better than the 2013-2015 period. I bet in the future, the mid 2010s will be seen as the period that time forgot.

Written By: Howard on 10/25/15 at 2:58 pm

Malls back then used to be the place to hang out, now all you see are teenagers and hipster doofuses. ::)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/25/15 at 11:33 pm

Exactly. Even though I'm only 22, I hate how things are in the mid 2010s. However, eventually something's got to give. I think things will shift away from the current culture around 2017. By 2021 it'll probably be completely different (more fresh). Don't know how malls will be, but it will certainly be better than the 2013-2015 period. I bet in the future, the mid 2010s will be seen as the period that time forgot.

I don't blame you, dude. I hope something good comes along in the next few years. That'll be nice to see.

Malls back then used to be the place to hang out, now all you see are teenagers and hipster doofuses. ::)

Exactly! Malls used to fun once upon a time. Nowadays? Forget it. It's all about buying the tightest pants and the thickest rims in today's world.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/26/15 at 8:26 am

I don't blame you, dude. I hope something good comes along in the next few years. That'll be nice to see.

Exactly! Malls used to fun once upon a time. Nowadays? Forget it. It's all about buying the tightest pants and the thickest rims in today's world.

You want to know what else is sad, I only get excited for malls just for the food courts now. I do know of a few decent malls in Atlanta that have a movie theater and Dave & Busters, but that's about it. GameStop is still around in malls which is good. With me living in Georgia my whole life, even the tons of malls in the ATL area have declined too compared to years past. Focusing on a lot of fashion and clothing stores as mentioned before. I'm going to the mall with my female cousins so delusional thinking it's going to be a fun time. I walk in there, go straight to the food court, eat a lot, then I go up the escalator and wait on the bench the whole time waiting til my cousins finish shopping.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/26/15 at 9:17 am

They keep putting new stores in my mall, but they never last long. I usually haunt Forever 21, Old Navy and Ulta. Ulta is my makeup haven. And I like the Food Court for the Seafood Place where popcorn shrimp flow like water, and Raising Cane's where we still argue about what goes in the dipping sauce for the chicken strips.
https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-prn2/t5/592202_130607653662667_1522641660_n.jpg
http://i0.wp.com/insiderlouisville.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/10151219_10152095745139092_277576267_n.png

But I don't go often and I've begun to gravitate towards online shopping. I only do my makeup shopping in real life, because I like to see exactly what the colors of products I buy are, not be surprised when I open a FedEx box.

Written By: Howard on 10/26/15 at 2:33 pm

and then you have the kids who are always on their Facebook Twitter and Instagram. ::)

Written By: the2001 on 10/26/15 at 3:03 pm

You want to know what else is sad, I only get excited for malls just for the food courts now. I do know of a few decent malls in Atlanta that have a movie theater and Dave & Busters, but that's about it. GameStop is still around in malls which is good. With me living in Georgia my whole life, even the tons of malls in the ATL area have declined too compared to years past. Focusing on a lot of fashion and clothing stores as mentioned before. I'm going to the mall with my female cousins so delusional thinking it's going to be a fun time. I walk in there, go straight to the food court, eat a lot, then I go up the escalator and wait on the bench the whole time waiting til my cousins finish shopping.

The malls now are just like empty and sad

Written By: Howard on 10/26/15 at 3:24 pm

The malls now are just like empty and sad

This is why people are now shopping online.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/26/15 at 8:35 pm

I try to avoid malls as much as possible. They feel so depressing whenever I walk in. It wasn't like that before but now I can't imagine spending all day there like I used to as a kid. F*ck, I remember when a new album by a band I liked would come out, I'd either go to a record store or I had already planned to be at the mall with friends so I could buy it while I was there. Now I'm thinking about how great 1996-2002/2003 was for me. Hanging out at the mall with my friends, eating taco bell and listening to the new NOFX CD.

and then you have the kids who are always on their Facebook Twitter and Instagram. ::)

Holy s*it, I see groups of kids sitting with each other (of course in their skinny jeans and flat hats) and what do they do? They text or do whatever on their phones. They don't talk to each other at all. What kind of way of life is that? All their attention goes to their phones! I'm surprised people can make any friends these days.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/27/15 at 2:05 pm

I try to avoid malls as much as possible. They feel so depressing whenever I walk in. It wasn't like that before but now I can't imagine spending all day there like I used to as a kid. F*ck, I remember when a new album by a band I liked would come out, I'd either go to a record store or I had already planned to be at the mall with friends so I could buy it while I was there. Now I'm thinking about how great 1996-2002/2003 was for me. Hanging out at the mall with my friends, eating taco bell and listening to the new NOFX CD.

Holy s*it, I see groups of kids sitting with each other (of course in their skinny jeans and flat hats) and what do they do? They text or do whatever on their phones. They don't talk to each other at all. What kind of way of life is that? All their attention goes to their phones! I'm surprised people can make any friends these days.

Yeah, there's that stench, that atmosphere malls have at the moment. It sucks, man. Many people would probably tell me it's because I've "grown up" that I dislike the mid 2010s. But even when I remove the nostalgia aspect, and look at it critically, I just find that many things have become boring, due to the changes that have taken place. There is one positive thing about the current times. With the internet we can easily spread our opinions, and be heard. The fact that everyone in this thread (or whatever it's called), has like minded views, shows that there are many people who feel the same way, and sees the flaws of the current trends. Perhaps there is some power in spreading our opinions. Even if a little.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/15 at 2:51 pm

It happens in today's mall society, Kids don't talk face to face anymore. ::)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/28/15 at 6:14 am

Yeah, there's that stench, that atmosphere malls have at the moment. It sucks, man. Many people would probably tell me it's because I've "grown up" that I dislike the mid 2010s. But even when I remove the nostalgia aspect, and look at it critically, I just find that many things have become boring, due to the changes that have taken place. There is one positive thing about the current times. With the internet we can easily spread our opinions, and be heard. The fact that everyone in this thread (or whatever it's called), has like minded views, shows that there are many people who feel the same way, and sees the flaws of the current trends. Perhaps there is some power in spreading our opinions. Even if a little.

I see what you're saying, dude. And you're totally right, too. Things are just too boring. I maybe be being nostalgic right now but I miss the fun goofiness of 1993-1997 or the extreme attitude of 1998-2003. When I was a teen in the 90's and early 00's, people wanted to be different; they didn't dress like everyone else. You didn't see jocks dressing like Goths or geeks dressing like Punks. Everyone wanted to do their own thing. Nowadays? We don't even have that. It's all smartphones and no social lives. Yeah, I'd hope something would bring a change. Something exciting and fun again.

It happens in today's mall society, Kids don't talk face to face anymore. ::)

Yeah, I don't get that. When I was a kid (god dammit, I'm making myself sound 60!) I was super excited to see my friends and shoot the sh*t. These kids go out and stare at their phones. Is today so bland that they're totally devoid or anything to talk about? Is their collection of the flat sticker hats not interesting enough?

Written By: Howard on 10/28/15 at 3:31 pm

It's all smartphones and no social lives

It's everywhere nowadays.

https://images.rapgenius.com/57c314824f3e0e9824d34d755e893311.800x599x1.jpg
Yeah, I don't get that. When I was a kid (god dammit, I'm making myself sound 60!) I was super excited to see my friends and shoot the sh*t. These kids go out and stare at their phones. Is today so bland that they're totally devoid or anything to talk about? Is their collection of the flat sticker hats not interesting enough?

Written By: bchris02 on 10/28/15 at 6:58 pm

I see what you're saying, dude. And you're totally right, too. Things are just too boring. I maybe be being nostalgic right now but I miss the fun goofiness of 1993-1997 or the extreme attitude of 1998-2003. When I was a teen in the 90's and early 00's, people wanted to be different; they didn't dress like everyone else. You didn't see jocks dressing like Goths or geeks dressing like Punks. Everyone wanted to do their own thing. Nowadays? We don't even have that. It's all smartphones and no social lives. Yeah, I'd hope something would bring a change. Something exciting and fun again.

I guess that depends on where you lived.

During the Y2K era at my school, there was a strong push for conformism and anybody who was different in any way was outcasted.  There were subcultures such as the preps (Abercrombie), the skaters, and the goths, but everyone hung exclusively with their own kind.  If you didn't fit into one of those three categories, you probably didn't have any friends.  I think today individualism is more respected than it was then.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/28/15 at 8:54 pm

It's everywhere nowadays.

Your average social gathering in 2015:
http://cdn.idigitaltimes.com/sites/idigitaltimes.com/files/2014/08/28/2013/12/05/13265-smartphone-addiction.jpg

During the Y2K era at my school, there was a strong push for conformism and anybody who was different in any way was outcasted.  There were subcultures such as the preps (Abercrombie), the skaters, and the goths, but everyone hung exclusively with their own kind.  If you didn't fit into one of those three categories, you probably didn't have any friends.  I think today individualism is more respected than it was then.

It sucks your experience of the Y2K era had to be like that but I see your point. When I was in high school from 1996-2000, me and my friends were the NoFx type kids who had spiky red hair and baggy dickies (I still look this way!) and we definitely weren't cool but we still did our own thing. I don't know where you grew up so I can't really speak for you but I grew up in California and I can't say things were really that extreme. I had some friends who weren't really into any set groups and they had decent social lives. Not from my experience but from my nephew's experience, he said that if you don't fit into the flat hat skinny jeans trend that literally every teenager does today you're basically left in the dust.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/28/15 at 11:12 pm

I disagree. From what I've seen, there seems to be less individualism. Everyone is trying to follow the "hipsteresque" style, that it's now bleeding into other styles like the metalcore kids, the gangsta kids, and even the preppy style. Heck, you could make the argument that the hipster style is this decade's preppy. The only difference, is that it's trying to make all other styles homogeneous, with the skinny jeans and pompadours, thick rimmed glasses. And now we have man buns, which started around last year. It seems that in an effort to seem unique in the early 2010s, the hipster style has made everything seem the same in the mid 2010s. I like the idea of subcultures being more distinctive. Sure they may have been split apart in the 90s and early 00s, but at least there was more authenticity. Society in the 2010s seems more pretentious. People seem to come together over a false sense of unity. Yet if you truly observe, there's less unity now, because of everyone being glued to their smartphones and social media. There is nothing authentic about what's going on nowadays. It's all fake.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/29/15 at 1:27 am

In my local mall, Monroeville Mall (east of Pittsburgh, PA, where the zombie movies: "Dawn of the dead" (1978), "Day of the dead" (1985), and "Land of the dead" (2005) were all filmed there.

It's fairly dead itself, now.  I only go there to go to stores that are located in the parameter of the mall (Barnes and Noble, Saga Japanese Restaurant, Mr. Nice Guy games (Magic the gathering store), and I went actually INTO the mall to watch a movie for my birthday.

I don't shop the way I used to back in the day.  Money is usually tight.  It's a small mall as far as malls go.  But lately, it's attracted alot of kids (teens).  We had a shooting there in a department store, some rival gang kids shot people that we just unfortunately in the way of whomever they were actually aiming for. (That would be *my* luck.)  Also there was a couple weekends where for whatever reason over a thousand teens congregated at the mall and was some were causing alot of trouble.  So now, the  mall has a policy of teens and younger have to have a parent with them.  *That should kill the mall soon.*

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/29/15 at 3:13 am

I disagree. From what I've seen, there seems to be less individualism. Everyone is trying to follow the "hipsteresque" style, that it's now bleeding into other styles like the metalcore kids, the gangsta kids, and even the preppy style. Heck, you could make the argument that the hipster style is this decade's preppy. The only difference, is that it's trying to make all other styles homogeneous, with the skinny jeans and pompadours, thick rimmed glasses. And now we have man buns, which started around last year. It seems that in an effort to seem unique in the early 2010s, the hipster style has made everything seem the same in the mid 2010s. I like the idea of subcultures being more distinctive. Sure they may have been split apart in the 90s and early 00s, but at least there was more authenticity. Society in the 2010s seems more pretentious. People seem to come together over a false sense of unity. Yet if you truly observe, there's less unity now, because of everyone being glued to their smartphones and social media. There is nothing authentic about what's going on nowadays. It's all fake.

I like the stuff you say, dude. We see eye to eye on a lot of this sh*t. When I look at my yearbooks from 1996-2000 and my sister's from 1999-2003 you'll notice that there was a good amount of variety. For example, you look at the talent show photos and you'll see a lot of different stuff. Some Pop Punk bands, some Nu Metal bands, some rappers etc. I had attended my cousin's High School talent show in 2012 and you know what they all had? Pop and Rap. Everyone was dressed the same and they all played the same music. It was a boring hour and a half monotony festival. I didn't like Nu Metal as a teen nor was I ever really big into rap but at least it was something somewhat different to each other and they felt like their own thing. I think that ever since 2007/2008 things have been getting more and more homogeneous. I don't really like the true 00's era (2004-2006) but at least people did their own thing. Everything thinks it's so good that everyone's being accepting and all that "no child left behind" crap but honestly, how's it good that there's no individuality? If someone does something different then what? They'll just be ostracized for looking funny and not wearing ultra tight pants or bending the hat brim like you're supposed to with a hat. Culture in the 2010's is like an assembly line.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/15 at 2:46 pm

http://cdn.idigitaltimes.com/sites/idigitaltimes.com/files/2014/08/28/2013/12/05/13265-smartphone-addiction.jpg

You just can't get away from these kids lately. ::)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/30/15 at 3:19 am

You just can't get away from these kids lately. ::)

Especially in this thread, where those kids are posted a fair bit.  Maybe I'll post them again just for the halibut.  :P

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/30/15 at 2:49 pm

Malls these days are like legacy pop music acts such as Mariah Carey- they have a career for about six weeks prior to Christmas and then it's over. However, they are still important whenever attention is drawn.

What could make malls "cool" again is if they offer good social activities, from family-friendly festivals to mini-galas to live acts (Tiffany, Britney Spears, etc.) The thing is that malls are uncool for hipsters since they are seen as their parent's suburban lifestyle and would prefer outdoor or downtown/urban-type shopping experiences, along with other cultural amenities nearby. That said, as these hipsters settle down into families (their biological clock will tick sooner or later), the mall will become attractive to them due to convenience and the fact that you can get a first hand look at these items and get them on demand rather than wait for delivery. There is also the fact that 92% of good are still sold in stores. I'd just wish malls were more fun though rather than being seen as sterile shopping centers. I also like malls that incorporate a hybrid indoor/outdoor setting, in which during bad weather you can head inside, and enjoy the outdoors during nice weather.

Written By: Howard on 10/30/15 at 3:21 pm

Malls these days are like legacy pop music acts such as Mariah Carey- they have a career for about six weeks prior to Christmas and then it's over. However, they are still important whenever attention is drawn.

What about for the whole year around? ???

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/30/15 at 3:31 pm

What could make malls "cool" again is if they offer good social activities, from family-friendly festivals to mini-galas to live acts (Tiffany, Britney Spears, etc.) The thing is that malls are uncool for hipsters since they are seen as their parent's suburban lifestyle and would prefer outdoor or downtown/urban-type shopping experiences, along with other cultural amenities nearby. That said, as these hipsters settle down into families (their biological clock will tick sooner or later), the mall will become attractive to them due to convenience and the fact that you can get a first hand look at these items and get them on demand rather than wait for delivery. There is also the fact that 92% of good are still sold in stores. I'd just wish malls were more fun though rather than being seen as sterile shopping centers. I also like malls that incorporate a hybrid indoor/outdoor setting, in which during bad weather you can head inside, and enjoy the outdoors during nice weather.

I agree with this, sounds like a great idea! It's actually got me thinking, which birth years constitute the core hipster generation?

Check for new replies or respond here...