inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: so what do you expect of 2016?......

Written By: sonic2005 on 09/07/15 at 8:35 am

with they way things are going 2016 is looking to be an interesting year I think a lot of big things are going to happen but what do you guys think??

Subject: Re: so what do you expect of 2016?......

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 8:43 am

It would be the year when the PPG reboot would premiere, so I'm excited for that. But for anything else from 2016, it would just be forgettable to me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/15 at 8:49 am

Success for Team GB at the Rio de Janeiro Summer Olympics.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/07/15 at 9:08 am

A new blockbuster album by Ke$ha.  8)

Written By: bchris02 on 09/07/15 at 10:18 am

My guess is it will be another year like 2015.  Another huge culture war year where everyone seems to be offended by everything.  The LGBT community will continue to see political victory but not without extreme backlash from the religious right.  I think Democrats will keep the White House but it will be a close race.

I don't think much will change in terms of music.  It will be more of the same stuff we've had since 2012.  Teen pop, trap rap, and disco revival will be the dominant genres. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/15 at 10:23 am

2016 is a leap year, we have an extra day, we must make use of it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 10:27 am

2016 is a leap year, we have an extra day, we must make use of it.

But it doesn't really make the year special. Leap years have been around since forever (I guess) and nobody really celebrates it as a holiday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/15 at 10:31 am

But it doesn't really make the year special. Leap years have been around since forever (I guess) and nobody really celebrates it as a holiday.
Special for women, for according to an old Irish legend, or possibly history, St Brigid struck a deal with St Patrick to allow women to propose to men – and not just the other way around – every four years. This is believed to have been introduced to balance the traditional roles of men and women in a similar way to how Leap Day balances the calendar.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/07/15 at 10:38 am

Okay, these prediction threads are getting ridiculous!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 10:39 am

Okay, these prediction threads are getting ridiculous!

I know right? It's just dull. Who really needs to predict what's gonna happen on 2016 or the 2020s?

Written By: Arrowstone on 09/07/15 at 11:34 am

I expect more sh*t going on in this world but that's about it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 11:34 am

Same thing.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/07/15 at 11:36 am

There's always crap going on in the world. :\'(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 11:38 am

If you meant by current events and political sheesh, then we had that since this country was the Thirteen Colonies. But if you meant pop culture, then I would agree to you. They suck so freaking hard.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/07/15 at 2:40 pm

But if you meant pop culture, then I would agree to you. They suck so freaking hard.

I was talking about politics and world events. I actually think media is improving in quality although it's slow to come.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/15 at 2:54 pm

I know right? It's just dull. Who really needs to predict what's gonna happen on 2016 or the 2020s?

It's only a thought, that's all.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/15 at 2:55 pm

shootings, killings, stabbings and people getting run over.

Written By: the2001 on 09/07/15 at 3:19 pm

2016 will be the last classic year of the 2010s

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/07/15 at 4:16 pm

2016 will be the last classic year of the 2010s

I agree with this! Do you think it will be the qunitessential year though?

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/07/15 at 4:52 pm

I agree with this! Do you think it will be the qunitessential year though?

Considering the quintessential year of every decade from the 1920s onward is always within the last four years, it is highly possible that 2016 will be the quintessential year. I feel like this decade has yet to peak and we are still trying to move away from old trends. Nothing fresh has come along and I believe it is highly possible (like, 80-90%) that we will see this next year.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/07/15 at 5:08 pm

I predict Jeb Bush will get elected defeating Joe Biden (not Hilary Clinton, she doesn't get nominated because of too many scandals against her). It will be a very close race and a will need a recount in Florida again, lol.

The Olympics in Rio will be good, especially the opening ceremony with all the good Brazilian music and dancing (samba and bossa nova).

The music will be really good, as Olympic years always are. It will be the peak of the mid-2010's. The year 2000 will be the throw-back year.

Batman vs. Superman is the only movie I know of so far for next summer's line-up. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/15 at 5:14 pm

Batman vs. Superman is the only movie I know of so far for next summer's line-up. 

There is going to be a release of another remake of Ben Hur, I hope it will be as good as Charlton Heston, but something tells me no.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/15 at 5:16 pm

Oh no!!!!! There is going to a remake of Disney's "The Jungle Book" to be released....

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/15 at 5:58 pm

In July the new "Ghostbusters" film is set for release.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 6:01 pm

Oh no!!!!! There is going to a remake of Disney's "The Jungle Book" to be released....

What's wrong with that? I'm not upset over some classic Disney movie being remade.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/15 at 6:03 pm

What's wrong with that? I'm not upset over some classic Disney movie being remade.
The classic Disney films do the job fine, and in pass years the films were re-released on video or DVD every seven years to catch new children.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 6:04 pm

The classic Disney films do the job fine, and in pass years the films were re-released on video or DVD every seven years to catch new children.

So? It's not like it would be a problem if the movie was going to be remade. You have the right to not watch it, if you don't like it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/15 at 6:05 pm

BTW, "Pete's Dragon" is set to be remade and "Finding Dory" the sequel to "Finding Nemo" is up for release.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/15 at 6:06 pm

So? It's not like it would be a problem if the movie was going to be remade. You have the right to not watch it, if you don't like it.
If people do not watch it, no revenue will be gained.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/07/15 at 6:08 pm

If people do not watch it, no revenue will be gained.

I'm not saying the entire world shouldn't watch the remake. I'm saying that YOU have the right to not watch it. If you just like watching the classic Disney movies, then I don't have a problem with that.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/07/15 at 11:21 pm

My guess is that 2016 will be the twilight of the mid-2010s.  Although the lineup of upcoming movies for the year still looks extremely similar to today (live action fantasy blockbusters, Marvel Cinematic Universe films, etc.), and Obama will still be President of the United States, the backlash against the current attitudes and trends will probably reach a plateau by 2017, if Donald Trump's popularity indicates (though I think Jeb Bush will be the next president).  The effects of Satoru Iwata's untimely death will most likely begin to really surface around that time, as well; Nintendo was already planning to transition into the mobile market, anyway, but especially without Iwata, the Wii U will most likely completely run out of life support within a couple of years.  Additionally, Netflix appears to have jumped the shark with their announcement of removing a huge chunk of their movie catalogue, and will probably be fully overtaken by Hulu and Amazon within a few years.  I still don't think the overall rate of cultural change will be very large, but I think we're just starting to get vague signs of what the coming few years will bring to society.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/15 at 11:24 am

My guess is that 2016 will be the twilight of the mid-2010s.  Although the lineup of upcoming movies for the year still looks extremely similar to today (live action fantasy blockbusters, Marvel Cinematic Universe films, etc.), and Obama will still be President of the United States, the backlash against the current attitudes and trends will probably reach a plateau by 2017, if Donald Trump's popularity indicates (though I think Jeb Bush will be the next president).  The effects of Satoru Iwata's untimely death will most likely begin to really surface around that time, as well; Nintendo was already planning to transition into the mobile market, anyway, but especially without Iwata, the Wii U will most likely completely run out of life support within a couple of years.  Additionally, Netflix appears to have jumped the shark with their announcement of removing a huge chunk of their movie catalogue, and will probably be fully overtaken by Hulu and Amazon within a few years.  I still don't think the overall rate of cultural change will be very large, but I think we're just starting to get vague signs of what the coming few years will bring to society.

Yeah, this decade would definitely die off politically and pop culturally around 2016 to early 2017 with all of that information you said.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/08/15 at 1:49 pm

Yeah, this decade would definitely die off politically and pop culturally around 2016 to early 2017 with all of that information you said.

Die off? 2016 is far too soon. 2019 maybe, but if it happens in 2016, that is most likely what people are going to remember the decade for, rather than what is happening right now or what happened a few years ago. Regarding American politics in the 1970's, people instantly think of Jimmy Carter. Regarding popular culture in the '70s, people think of disco, not soul music. Both of these things are what everyone associates with the '70s.

1976-1979 is the disco/arena rock/Jimmy Carter era. This is what everyone remembers of them.
1972-1975 was the philly soul/acoustic rock/Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford era. This is the less remembered part.

Considering every decade defines itself closer to the end than the beginning, I think the 2010s are now just getting started and are getting more exciting and I'm looking forward to the future. It certainly seems a lot more exciting than the 2012-2015 era.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/15 at 2:30 pm

Die off? 2016 is far too soon. 2019 maybe, but if it happens in 2016, that is most likely what people are going to remember the decade for, rather than what is happening right now or what happened a few years ago. Regarding American politics in the 1970's, people instantly think of Jimmy Carter. Regarding popular culture in the '70s, people think of disco, not soul music. Both of these things are what everyone associates with the '70s.

1976-1979 is the disco/arena rock/Jimmy Carter era. This is what everyone remembers of them.
1972-1975 was the philly soul/acoustic rock/Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford era. This is the less remembered part.

Considering every decade defines itself closer to the end than the beginning, I think the 2010s are now just getting started and are getting more exciting and I'm looking forward to the future. It certainly seems a lot more exciting than the 2012-2015 era.

So what you're saying is that we're gonna go to a new era in 2016? Well, if it has better music and crap, then I'll be okay with that. Especially with the 2016 presidential election being around the corner next year.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/15 at 2:39 pm

In 2016? ???

Written By: #Infinity on 09/08/15 at 4:37 pm

That's very subjective.  I think a great deal of people would say the 90s and 2000s were defined far more by their early or middle years rather than their later years.  The 90s, for example, are heavily associated with grunge and gangsta rap, both of which died during the 1996-1997 school year.  The 2000s usually bring to mind images of 9/11, the War on Terror, crunk, MySpace, and emo, all of which were most prominent during the middle and early years of the decade, while late 2000s milestones such as seventh generation video games and Facebook are treated more as bridging the 2000s with the 2010s, in the same way the Internet bridged the late 90s with the early 2000s.

I don't really feel like 2015 is significantly different from 2010 in terms of its overall feel, except that it's much duller than that year.  The past seven years (including this one) have been all about the dominance of social media, the resurgence of civil rights debates, Obama, hipster influences, and touch-screen technology.  Hopefully 2017-2019 will revitalize this now-rusty popular culture in a positive way.

Written By: the2001 on 09/08/15 at 5:24 pm

u mean the end of the classic 2010s as in twilight

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/15 at 5:35 pm

u mean the end of the classic 2010s as in twilight

Well, according to some users on this website, they wouldn't really think that 2016 wouldn't be the end of the classic 2010s.

Written By: the2001 on 09/08/15 at 5:43 pm

Well, according to some users on this website, they wouldn't really think that 2016 wouldn't be the end of the classic 2010s.

its a safe bet from what we know from the decade before
that the end of the classic era ends at the end of the 6th year

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/15 at 5:46 pm

I can get that the 2010s would probably end around 2016, but as for other decades, their classic era usually ended around the 9th year.

Written By: the2001 on 09/08/15 at 6:05 pm

I can get that the 2010s would probably end around 2016, but as for other decades, their classic era usually ended around the 9th year.

No way man, the 2000s ended around 2006-2008

90s ended around 1996-1997

Written By: the2001 on 09/08/15 at 6:35 pm

I sill cant believe the mid 2010s are almost over

Written By: mqg96 on 09/08/15 at 7:40 pm

The core 2000's ended in 2008 IMO.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/15 at 7:56 pm

You're basically proving my point. 2008 was the 9th year of the 2000s. Don't you remember that every 0 is the first year of every decade, except for the first decade when the current era started because the first year was actually 1?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/15 at 7:58 pm

Meh. I can agree to that too. 2008 was like the last year of the true 2000s before Nickelodeon, Toon Disney and Cartoon Network started to be fudgeed up by their presidents' actions in 2009.

Written By: the2001 on 09/08/15 at 8:21 pm

lmao no

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/15 at 8:24 pm

lmao no

What's with you and people who think that 2008 was the last year of the core 2000s? I'm okay with it and I simply understand that it's their opinion. But you don't have to act like a spoiled brat when somebody posts about the core 2000s ending in 2008.

Written By: the2001 on 09/08/15 at 8:47 pm

What's with you and people who think that 2008 was the last year of the core 2000s? I'm okay with it and I simply understand that it's their opinion. But you don't have to act like a spoiled brat when somebody posts about the core 2000s ending in 2008.

I am not acting spoiled, its just hard to wrap my head around that. we can agree to disagree.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/15 at 8:54 pm

I am not acting spoiled, its just hard to wrap my head around that. we can agree to disagree.

Okay, I thought you were being biased when you said that 2008 wasn't the end of the core 2000s era.

Written By: the2001 on 09/08/15 at 8:55 pm

Okay, I thought you were being biased when you said that 2008 wasn't the end of the core 2000s era.

No lol tbh I was being lazy AF and typing, but I do agree 2008s was sorta of the end of the 2000s
vibe wise I agree 100%

Written By: Howard on 09/09/15 at 2:40 pm

What classic era?

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/11/15 at 12:01 am

That's very subjective.  I think a great deal of people would say the 90s and 2000s were defined far more by their early or middle years rather than their later years.

It varies, but I would say that when people think of the "The 1990s", what seems to pop in their heads most is late 1991 through early 1998. Considering what they play at '90s parties and what song DJ's and radio stations play when doing "90s throwbacks", they seem to focus most on the 1994-1997 time frame (hence why I consider that the "heart of the '90s"). They pair up 1990-early 1991 with the '80s pretty much. Regarding the aughts, it's too soon to say, because the decade is too recent for people to get all "warm and fuzzy" inside when they think of the aughts. They aren't cool yet, just outdated and irrelevant. To me, I think people are going to think of the aughts as the 2002 through 2008 period, with most focus on 2003-2007. Pretty broad, but I think every portion of every decade should be represented just a little bit (the middle years always).

The 90s, for example, are heavily associated with grunge and gangsta rap, both of which died during the 1996-1997 school year.

I agree with the grunge. It's pretty obvious, especially considering the rock scene became way more diverse after pure grunge faded away from the mainstream. I used to agree with you on the gangsta rap, but lately I've been looking up the genre and reading on it's history (because of the Straight Outta Compton movie) and have come across some interesting results; I've realized that, no, that's not true at all. The west coast hip-hop sound was still around after 1996, much to my surprise. West-coast hip-hop includes G-Funk (short for gangsta-funk) and Gangsta rap. All three of them have enough sonic similarities to where they can be put into one category. Here is the list I came up with for post-1996 Gangsta Rap/G-Funk/West Coast Hip-Hop American Top 40 Hits:

Nothin' But the Cavi Hit - Mack 10
C U When U Get There - Coolio
Things'll Never Change/Rapper's Ball - E40
I Shot the Sheriff - Warren G
Smokin' Me Out - Warren G
Smile - Scarface
Going Back to Cali - Biggie Smalls (although Biggie is an East Coast Hip-Hop artist, he's devoting this song to California, so it's not surprising that this song has West Coast production. This could easily be a Coolio song!)
Bam! Then 1998 Happened..
Do For Love - 2Pac
Nobody Does It Better - Nate Dogg
Still a G Thang - Snoop Dogg
Pushin' Weight - Ice Cube
Changes - 2Pac (this one has a bit of a latin freestyle twist to it)

While some of these aren't explicitly Gangsta Rap/G-Funk/West Coast Hip-Hop, they do have major influences and a sonic resemblance to this rap category sub genre. It was definitely digging it's grave in 1997 and '98 considering the east coast rap form was everywhere those years and their dominance was inescapable. I would say that 1997 was when it was "in the hospital" and 1998 was when it was on life support. It really died in 1999. Then it came back in the year 2000 in a second wave half-assed zombified form that was nowhere near as good as the original movement with Dr. Dre's Chronic 2001 album and lasted as far as 2003 with 50 Cent.  :-
The 2000s usually bring to mind images of 9/11, the War on Terror, crunk, MySpace, and emo, all of which were most prominent during the middle and early years of the decade, while late 2000s milestones such as seventh generation video games and Facebook are treated more as bridging the 2000s with the 2010s, in the same way the Internet bridged the late 90s with the early 2000s.

I agree with almost all of this, but emo and MySpace were more popular in the late aughts than the earlier years. Also think of scene culture, flip-phones, and reality tv.

I don't really feel like 2015 is significantly different from 2010 in terms of its overall feel, except that it's much duller than that year.

Hey, at least 2015 is a heck of a lot better than 2012...

The past seven years (including this one) have been all about the dominance of social media, the resurgence of civil rights debates, Obama, hipster influences, and touch-screen technology.

That's definitely valid. I think we're going to see a shift next year, but that's just me.

Hopefully 2017-2019 will revitalize this now-rusty popular culture in a positive way.

Don't forget 2016!  ;)

Written By: mqg96 on 09/11/15 at 12:57 am

lmao no

You really think 2008 is a core 2000's year, when that was the year 2010's culture started coming in. The election of Barack Obama, the stock market crash, the beginning of the electropop era of music, the fashion changes during the late duration of that year, core 2000's kid sitcoms like That So Raven and Drake & Josh were already ended, 6th generation games being discontinued and 7th generation gaming long being in full swing, it no longer felt like the core 2000's from 2004-2007. 2008 was like a transitional year from core 2000's to late 2000's/early 2010's culture. It was the opposite of 2003, which was the transition from millennial (late 90's/early 2000's) era to core 2000's. The FULL years of the core 2000's in everything that defined the 2000's culturally was 2004-2007, not 2003 or 2008 like some people believe on here.

Written By: the2001 on 09/11/15 at 11:44 am

You really think 2008 is a core 2000's year, when that was the year 2010's culture started coming in. The election of Barack Obama, the stock market crash, the beginning of the electropop era of music, the fashion changes during the late duration of that year, core 2000's kid sitcoms like That So Raven and Drake & Josh were already ended, 6th generation games being discontinued and 7th generation gaming long being in full swing, it no longer felt like the core 2000's from 2004-2007. 2008 was like a transitional year from core 2000's to late 2000's/early 2010's culture. It was the opposite of 2003, which was the transition from millennial (late 90's/early 2000's) era to core 2000's. The FULL years of the core 2000's in everything that defined the 2000's culturally was 2004-2007, not 2003 or 2008 like some people believe on here.

this

Written By: the2001 on 09/11/15 at 11:44 am

Late 2008 is when everything happend to bridge the gap

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/11/15 at 12:27 pm

Late 2008 is when everything happend to bridge the gap

I'd say this -

Early 2008 (January-March): Old trends; Not that different from 2003.
Mid 2008 (April-August): The shift period. Old mixes with new. Electropop creeps in, but snap and crunk are still the crap.
Later 2008 (September-December): We have completely entered a new era.

Written By: Arrowstone on 09/11/15 at 1:13 pm

I'd say this -

Mid 2008 (April-August): The shift period. Old mixes with new. Electropop creeps in, but snap and crunk are still the crap.

You could feel the change in atmosphere that autumn. Obama and crisis, things felt different, also where I kive.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/11/15 at 1:18 pm

I'd say this -

Great description, although I don't think early 2008 and even 2006 & 2007 are related to 2003 though, I'd say more related to 2004. Other than that I agree though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/11/15 at 2:39 pm

I'd say this -

Well, I think 2008 was like the core 2000s, but not 2009, in my opinion.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/11/15 at 3:04 pm

Great description, although I don't think early 2008 and even 2006 & 2007 are related to 2003 though, I'd say more related to 2004. Other than that I agree though.

That process is also how I think 2016 is going to be.

Early 2016 (January - March): Pretty much the same as 2012. Hints of what is going to come next but the previous era is definitely on it's last legs.
Mid 2016 (April - August): The shift period. Introducing the new while phasing out the old.
Late 2016 (September - December): We are now in a new era with a fresh atmosphere.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/15 at 4:24 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcmFdwws3rM

Written By: Slim95 on 09/12/15 at 12:10 am

I predict Miley Cyrus will show her breast one more time in 2016. That is all.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/15 at 2:47 am

...and Fade away.

BTW, why not earlier?

Written By: #Infinity on 09/12/15 at 6:16 am

I'd say this -

Actually, I think your description of mid-2008 is much more appropriate for the last third of 2008, while the "completely entered a new era" part applies more to the beginning of 2009, when Obama had entered office, Lady Gaga was on the top of the charts, crunk was completely dead (the last crunk song of major chart significance was T.I.'s Whatever You Like), the effects of the Great Recession had fully set in, and Rick Santelli made his infamous rant that led to the Tea Party.  I knew times were starting to really change during my first semester of 10th grade, but it was really by the second semester that the dominant culture was noticeably different to me.

Written By: Howard on 09/12/15 at 8:22 am

Maybe she'll pose for Playboy or even star in her own porn video? :o

Written By: 97er on 09/13/15 at 4:24 am

She already did at the VMAs lmao. It was for a second

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/13/15 at 10:09 am

I figure that Vivid Video will sign her to a porno contract.  :o

Written By: Howard on 09/13/15 at 3:01 pm

I figure that Vivid Video will sign her to a porno contract.  :o

That will happen I guarantee it.

Written By: Howard on 09/13/15 at 3:02 pm

Donald Trump will be the next president.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/13/15 at 4:56 pm

That will happen I guarantee it.

Oh, absolutely.  That's the track that she is on for sure.  I would not be surprised to see her do a spread in Hustler Mag too.  She has to keep one-upping herself in shock value.  ::)

Written By: tv on 09/13/15 at 10:36 pm

No. No. No.

Written By: tv on 09/13/15 at 10:39 pm

The last year of "Trap Music"(2015-2016 school year) probably than something else will come along to replace it in the 2016-2017 school year.. Hillary will be the next President.

Written By: Howard on 09/14/15 at 7:29 am

No. No. No.

What about Hilary Clinton?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/14/15 at 7:41 am

What about Hilary Clinton?
I was going to ask who else in contention?

Written By: Howard on 09/14/15 at 2:18 pm

Some possible newer technology.

Written By: the2001 on 09/15/15 at 3:11 pm

The last year of "Trap Music"(2015-2016 school year) probably than something else will come along to replace it in the 2016-2017 school year.. Hillary will be the next President.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/15/15 at 4:33 pm

I hope rock comes back next year...

Written By: 80sfan on 09/15/15 at 8:30 pm

I hope adult contemporary comes back one day. Hopefully this is just a trend of the 00s and 10s. I just miss hearing mature and music for older people 25+ on the radio. Sam Smith is a good example of adult contemporary, I just wish we had more variety other than Sam Smith and Adele. They're good but more variety would be nice!

Written By: Howard on 09/16/15 at 3:17 pm

Arnold Schwarzenegger will be the new host of The Apprentice.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/15 at 3:21 pm

Arnold Schwarzenegger will be the new host of The Apprentice.
Here is doing this year in the next few months, not starting in 2020.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/14/arnold-schwarzenegger-replace-donald-trump-celebrity-apprentice-host

Written By: the2001 on 09/17/15 at 4:13 pm

LOL it wont

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/17/15 at 4:13 pm

Why not now?

Written By: the2001 on 09/17/15 at 4:14 pm

Why not now?

EDM, trap music, indie pop

most likely EDM will go last

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/17/15 at 5:16 pm

LOL it wont

Why not?

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/17/15 at 10:30 pm

I definitely think this current school year will be the last of the current era of trap rap, undercuts, joggers, floral dresses, and bland EDM music. And I DO NOT WANT HILLARY TO BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT!!!  >:(

Written By: Slim95 on 09/17/15 at 10:51 pm

I expect (and hope) we will have a new fresh face for a Prime Minister in Canada.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/15 at 7:11 am

EDM, trap music, indie pop

most likely EDM will go last

I would like Rock And Roll to come back.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/15 at 7:11 am

I definitely think this current school year will be the last of the current era of trap rap, undercuts, joggers, floral dresses, and bland EDM music. And I DO NOT WANT HILLARY TO BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT!!!  >:(

Why not Hilary?

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/18/15 at 12:42 pm

Why not Hilary?

I don't like her. I find her and Bernie Sanders to be cold and miserable. I'm keeping my options open but I'm not supporting those two!

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/19/15 at 6:54 pm

Can't wait for the NX.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/19/15 at 7:47 pm

Taylor Swift's peak?  ???

Written By: Slim95 on 09/19/15 at 11:26 pm

I do have a feeling music will be better in 2016 that it is in 2015.

Written By: tv on 09/20/15 at 9:44 pm

I don't like her. I find her and Bernie Sanders to be cold and miserable. I'm keeping my options open but I'm not supporting those two!
Well I am 95% sure I am not gonna vote for Hillary but I think she will win the 2016 Presidential Election. I am 100% sure I am not supporting Bernie Sanders.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/20/15 at 9:48 pm

I think Taylor Swift is going to be with us for a long time.  She will be like the next Enrique Iglesias, who is still getting hits 16 years after his debut in 1999.  Taylor Swift has done a great job at changing her style and re-inventing herself to keep up with the times and what her listeners want.  Compare her music ca. 2005, 2009, and today.

Written By: tv on 09/20/15 at 9:53 pm

Well usually years "5" and "6" of a decade are the same like 1995-1996 and 1985-1986 were the same. However 1976 was different because of the arrival of disco music and Carter getting elected President. I think 2005 and 2006 were different because of a lack of rap album releases like 2005 had with 50 Cent and Kanye West.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/20/15 at 9:58 pm

Well usually years "5" and "6" of a decade are the same like 1995-1996 and 1985-1986 were the same. However 1976 was different because of the arrival of disco music and Carter getting elected President. I think 2005 and 2006 were different because of a lack of rap album releases like 2005 had with 50 Cent and Kanye West.

2006 was the blandest year of the '00s for music.  1996 on the other hand was the best year for music of the decade in my opinion.  Usually it seems like Presidential election years are pretty significant when it comes to cultural changes so with that being the case, maybe 2016 will be more changeful than expected (though I personally expect the current culture to continue to slowly evolve until the next big shift in 2020).

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/21/15 at 12:43 am

I think the 1989 album era is her peak. I hope she returns to country music or does something folksy along the lines of Jewel.

I definitely think it will be better next year than this year. Actually, I firmly believe it.

I always thought the "6" year was unique. Not quite mid-decade (or the epitome of it) but not quite late-decade, which is why I think the year ending in a six is one of the biggest (if not #1) turning points in popular culture during a decade and could even be the quintessential year like with 1996.

2006 was the blandest year of the '00s for music.  1996 on the other hand was the best year for music of the decade in my opinion.  Usually it seems like Presidential election years are pretty significant when it comes to cultural changes so with that being the case, maybe 2016 will be more changeful than expected (though I personally expect the current culture to continue to slowly evolve until the next big shift in 2020).

You got that right about the '90s and aughts. I definitely think Presidential Election years are very impactful in American popular culture. But I think 2016 is going to bring some dramatic changes. If you look deeply, you can see the first hints of it. And I trust my gut feeling. Remember when you agreed with me that a decade defines itself during it's last four years? I think the 2010s are going to be an excellent example of that.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/21/15 at 8:50 am

I think Taylor Swift is going to be with us for a long time.  She will be like the next Enrique Iglesias, who is still getting hits 16 years after his debut in 1999.  Taylor Swift has done a great job at changing her style and re-inventing herself to keep up with the times and what her listeners want.  Compare her music ca. 2005, 2009, and today.

Actually, Enrique Iglesias declined in popularity for several years after Escape, due to the end of the latin pop craze of 1999-2002.  A more impressive mainstay on the pop charts would be Usher, whose breakthrough was in 1997 with You Make Me Wanna, but who was already receiving mild attention over two decades ago for his self-titled debut.  Ever since becoming famous, he's never disappeared from public consciousness and has managed to adapt well to evolving musical trends.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/24/15 at 2:16 pm

LOL it wont

Okay, maybe it won't make a complete comeback in 2016. However I think there will be some type of rock music that slowly gains an underground following around the late 2010s. By 2021 this new form of rock will be mainstream. I refuse to believe rock won't make some type of comeback.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/29/15 at 9:02 pm

2006 was the year these dropped
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0e/K-os_Atlantis.jpg/440px-K-os_Atlantis.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cc/St_Elsewhere_Cover_Art.JPG
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/49/Foodliquor.jpg

These albums was all over the radio 2006/07. It was the true resurgence of alternative hiphop and probably the best years of hiphop of the 00s. All of the decade's greatest artists released albums around this time and alot of conscious music hit the radio. Anything but bland.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/29/15 at 11:35 pm

I expect that there's going to be a bit of a spike in the "dinosaur" bands.

Written By: Howard on 10/30/15 at 7:27 am

I think so too.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/31/15 at 2:10 am

What the heck is a dinosaur band?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/31/15 at 5:59 pm

Decline.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/31/15 at 7:26 pm

These albums was all over the radio 2006/07. It was the true resurgence of alternative hiphop and probably the best years of hiphop of the 00s. All of the decade's greatest artists released albums around this time and alot of conscious music hit the radio. Anything but bland.

Most of the good music peaked or was on the radio in 2007.  Music in late 2006 was a lot better than it was the first three quarters of the year.  I look back on 2007 as the peak year of hip-hop in the '00s.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/31/15 at 7:37 pm

All I want is to get asked out on a date, get solid work done on my novel and see a Jackson before I die. First generation or second generation, I'm not picky.  :(

Written By: Howard on 11/01/15 at 3:01 pm

All I want is to get asked out on a date

What's your preference on what restaurant you like?

Written By: Slim95 on 11/29/16 at 8:41 pm

Well it's the end of 2016, and not much has changed except for old Donnie Trump becoming president and some more garbage songs being released.  ;)

Written By: Slim95 on 11/29/16 at 8:42 pm

This didn't happen  :(

Written By: Slim95 on 11/29/16 at 8:42 pm

Howard you nailed it!

Written By: Howard on 11/30/16 at 2:53 pm

Howard you nailed it!

Wow Slim I can't believe I said that. :o

Written By: Howard on 12/01/16 at 3:32 pm

What can we expect in 2017? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/01/16 at 3:39 pm

The start of Donald Trump's presidency, a possible transition towards world politics, and whatever music could bring us.

Written By: 2001 on 12/01/16 at 3:44 pm

We can only pray that Taylor Swift flops and Nintendo is successful, but the world is unjust.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/01/16 at 4:11 pm

We can only pray that Taylor Swift flops and Nintendo is successful, but the world is unjust.

I don't know if Nintendo would be popular with the Switch. It's more original than the Wii U at least, but it's not like it would be a big hit to the company.

Written By: Howard on 12/01/16 at 4:19 pm

The start of Donald Trump's presidency, a possible transition towards world politics, and whatever music could bring us.

Let's hope it's a good one.

Check for new replies or respond here...