inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cast for "Straight Outta Compton 2" Announced

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/10/15 at 5:12 pm

Looks like this is gonna happen.

The film will reportedly highlight the rest of the rappers that made up the Death Row crew, including Snoop Dogg, Nate Dogg, Kurupt, Daz Dillinger and Warren G. The set photos reveal that Azaz Arnaud will play Daz Dillinger, Dr. Dre will be played by his son, Curtis Young, Reggie Noble will take on the role of Suge Knight, Melvin Jackson Jr. will play Kurupt and Dada will portray the late Tupac Shakur.

http://www.ibtimes.com/straight-outta-compton-2-cast-revealed-new-photos-who-will-play-dr-dre-tupac-shakur-2086817

Subject: Re: Cast for "Straight Outta Compton 2" Announced

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/10/15 at 5:19 pm

On one hand, this might be just a cash-in and could go horribly wrong.

On the other hand, it could live up to the legacy of the original, expand it's influence on up-and-coming rappers even more, and could guarantee the comeback of gangsta rap.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/10/15 at 5:38 pm

Perhaps Straight Outta Compton XXLMCL - The Rise of Soulja Boy.  ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 09/10/15 at 6:38 pm

On one hand, this might be just a cash-in and could go horribly wrong.

On the other hand, it could live up to the legacy of the original, expand it's influence on up-and-coming rappers even more, and could guarantee the comeback of gangsta rap.

Death Row Records was portrayed extremely negatively in the original Straight Outta Compton, so I'm not surprised that Dre and Cube aren't returning as the producers for the sequel.  The biographical arcs of artists like Snoop Dogg, Warren G, and 2Pac is very different from that of N.W.A., even though all three were heavily involved with the group's former members.

I also wonder, though, if they're going to integrate Bad Boy Records into this film, since their rivalry with Death Row was one of the defining trends of mid-90s hip hop.  I know there was already the movie Notorious from 2009, but at the very least I think Biggie should be a minor character in the film, particularly considering his complex relationship with 2Pac.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/10/15 at 6:45 pm

This movie is actually being made? And it's not even a month since the movie was released in theaters. Were these people desperate to get another movie about some other West Coast gang that went on to become legendary rappers? Why not make the sequel with East Coast rappers?

Written By: #Infinity on 09/10/15 at 10:34 pm

This movie is actually being made? And it's not even a month since the movie was released in theaters. Were these people desperate to get another movie about some other West Coast gang that went on to become legendary rappers? Why not make the sequel with East Coast rappers?

1. The first Straight Outta Compton was created to tell the story of a group of talents from Compton who dared to speak against police brutality and marginalization of the African American community.  It was also told in a sociopolitical climate that was ripe for it, and most likely African American civil rights will still be highly relevant by the time the sequel comes out a well.  The purpose of the movie was not just to make some extra cash.  The sequel has been green-lit not just because of the financial success of the original, but also because there is so much more to the story of gangsta rap that the N.W.A. biopic could not fully cover.

2. The film was called Straight Outta Compton, not Straight Outta N.Y.  East Coast hip hop had a related, but still distinct history from West Coast gangsta rap, so centering the sequel only from that perspective would be inconsistent.

3. This exists:

http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/notorious-2009/large_lfKALQovRf46vVC12Rnl0mSRPyu.jpg

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/11/15 at 2:11 am

Death Row Records was portrayed extremely negatively in the original Straight Outta Compton, so I'm not surprised that Dre and Cube aren't returning as the producers for the sequel.  The biographical arcs of artists like Snoop Dogg, Warren G, and 2Pac is very different from that of N.W.A., even though all three were heavily involved with the group's former members.

I also wonder, though, if they're going to integrate Bad Boy Records into this film, since their rivalry with Death Row was one of the defining trends of mid-90s hip hop.  I know there was already the movie Notorious from 2009, but at the very least I think Biggie should be a minor character in the film, particularly considering his complex relationship with 2Pac.

Hey #Infinity, do you like gangsta rap yourself?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/11/15 at 4:32 am

Biggie's life story will be explored in Straight Outta Compton 3, from what I am hearing. That's if "2" is a hit and establishes SOC as a bankable movie franchise.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/11/15 at 5:11 am

Hey #Infinity, do you like gangsta rap yourself?

I take issue with some of its traditional themes, like misogyny and calling out rivals f****ts, and I don't personally relate to the genre's outwardly aggressive tone, but overall I think gangsta rap represented one of the finest eras for hip hop ever.  Those snarling, funky beats and stealthily confident prose are just so powerful, and really do speak to pretty serious issues and emotions affecting a great deal of Americans (or really any place with severely marginalized communities).  I was pleased by the outcome of the Straight Outta Compton film because it avoided the two things I listed above while still conveying a genuine message about the cruel circumstances that gave birth to N.W.A. and the significance of familial bonds throughout their journey, so hopefully it's a positive sign should gangsta rap experience a renaissance in the late 2010s.

Biggie's life story will be explored in Straight Outta Compton 3, from what I am hearing. That's if "2" is a hit and establishes SOC as a bankable movie franchise.

I would have thought the third film in the franchise would focus primarily on 1997-2007, particularly with the rise and fall of Aftermath.  Eminem and 50 Cent would be the major characters, while Dr. Dre, The Game, and the members of G-Unit would also play key roles.  I know that as with Biggie, both Eminem and 50 Cent had semi-autobiographical films made in the 2000s, but they would certainly be told in a fresh light if part of a Straight Outta Compton film franchise, in addition to more appropriately continuing from where 1 and 2 left off.  I think especially Eminem's story would turn out much more interesting and complex during the period he met Dr. Dre and became famous than when he was still an outcast underdog in Detroit.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/11/15 at 5:08 pm

The first Straight Outta Compton was created to tell the story of a group of talents from Compton who dared to speak against police brutality and marginalization of the African American community.  It was also told in a sociopolitical climate that was ripe for it, and most likely African American civil rights will still be highly relevant by the time the sequel comes out a well.  The purpose of the movie was not just to make some extra cash.  The sequel has been green-lit not just because of the financial success of the original, but also because there is so much more to the story of gangsta rap that the N.W.A. biopic could not fully cover.

Okay. I'm not really into rap. Even though I'm half black and half white, I just don't find it interesting to me. I'm not even into the rhyming of it. So, I really didn't know that they were going to make a sequel, due to the fact that there was recent police brutality that was targeted towards African-Americans.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/12/15 at 1:34 am

Okay. I'm not really into rap. Even though I'm half black and half white, I just don't find it interesting to me. I'm not even into the rhyming of it. So, I really didn't know that they were going to make a sequel, due to the fact that there was recent police brutality that was targeted towards African-Americans.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/15 at 7:03 am

I just don't find it interesting to me. I'm not even into the rhyming of it.

It's not gangster, but hip hop rhyming don't get no better than this...

She wouldn't stop
Made it drop
Shorty did that pop and lock
Had to break her off that gwap
Gal was fly just like my glock

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/12/15 at 9:15 am

What kind of music do you listen to?

Heavy metal, video game music, synthpop, techno

Check for new replies or respond here...