inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s nostalgia in the 10s??

Written By: 97er on 09/13/15 at 4:33 am

Ok so obviously on the Internet everyone is all about the 90s. "Omg I'm such a 90s kid". I and many people at my old high school could care less about the 90s, we love the 80s. I graduated this year and when I was in school, we had an 80s day for the Seniors, Back to the 80s play, 80s themed parties, etc. This year's homecoming theme? 80s. Even when it was 90s day people wore those neon ski jackets, neon scrunchies, and teased side ponytail. Guys wore weird geometric neon oversized shirts.

Anyone else notice this? My mom was telling me that some of the clothes that are trendy now are 80s looking.

Subject: Re: 80s nostalgia in the 10s??

Written By: #Infinity on 09/13/15 at 5:07 am

I know my own nostalgia for the 80s is just as strong as it is for the 90s, even though I was not yet born during the former decade.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/13/15 at 11:53 am

I see '80s nostalgia as largely an aughts phenomenon. It spilled into the early 2010's, but it has never really gone away. It's fading but it hasn't disappeared yet. In every calendar decade, people become nostalgic for the era two decades prior, as enough time has passed for people who lived the decade (those who were young adults and not kids) to actually miss it.

I'm through (and annoyed) with '80s nostalgia. Music since the mid aughts has had '80s influences, and a lot of what was cool then is quite bad. Leg warmers? Neon colors? Fishnet tights? Big hair? Mullets? Pleated tapered pants? Hair metal? Dance-pop? Ick! Unfortunately, the aughts brough most of those things back. I only really like the first two years and the last two years of the '80s. 1982 and 1983 are okay, it's the heart of the '80s (1984-1987) that I really don't like. Things didn't start getting interesting again until 1988 when hip-hop took over.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/13/15 at 12:24 pm

Well, I think 80s nostalgia was more related to the 2000s, since everyone gave a crap about the 20 year gap. But in the 2010s, there is some 80s nostalgia, despite being in a decade where 90s nostalgia is dominated and that 2000s nostalgia is trying to kick in.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/13/15 at 2:24 pm

Even when it was 90s day people wore those neon ski jackets, neon scrunchies, and teased side ponytail. Guys wore weird geometric neon oversized shirts.

That's what everyone looked like in 1990, 1991 and 1992! Those are Bush 1 era fashions and hairstyles!

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/13/15 at 2:36 pm

Well, I think 80s nostalgia was more related to the 2000s, since everyone gave a crap about the 20 year gap. But in the 2010s, there is some 80s nostalgia, despite being in a decade where 90s nostalgia is dominated and that 2000s nostalgia is trying to kick in.

Early '80s nostalgia was born in the very late '80s.
People started throwing '80s parties in the mid '90s.
'80s nostalgia (as a whole) was made public in 2002 (i.e. - VH1's I Love the '80s, That '80s Show, Whatever Happened to Robot Jones).
We are now living in the first and only full decade where '80s nostalgia is dominant in America and abroad (I.e. - ABC's The Goldbergs), but it will probably end in 2020 when the '90s revival completely takes over.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/13/15 at 2:41 pm

I see '80s nostalgia as largely an aughts phenomenon. It spilled into the early 2010's, but it has never really gone away. It's fading but it hasn't disappeared yet. In every calendar decade, people become nostalgic for the era two decades prior, as enough time has passed for people who lived the decade (those who were young adults and not kids) to actually miss it.

I'm through (and annoyed) with '80s nostalgia. Music since the mid aughts has had '80s influences, and a lot of what was cool then is quite bad. Leg warmers? Neon colors? Fishnet tights? Big hair? Mullets? Pleated tapered pants? Hair metal? Dance-pop? Ick! Unfortunately, the aughts brough most of those things back. I only really like the first two years and the last two years of the '80s. 1982 and 1983 are okay, it's the heart of the '80s (1984-1987) that I really don't like. Things didn't start getting interesting again until 1988 when hip-hop took over.

Yeah, I'm interested to see people born in the 70s and VERY early 80s get nostalgic for what they liked in the 90s. I'm KINDA burnt out seeing the 90s kid nostalgia thing.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/13/15 at 5:43 pm

Early '80s nostalgia was born in the very late '80s.
People started throwing '80s parties in the mid '90s.
'80s nostalgia (as a whole) was made public in 2002 (i.e. - VH1's I Love the '80s, That '80s Show, Whatever Happened to Robot Jones).
We are now living in the first and only full decade where '80s nostalgia is dominant in America and abroad (I.e. - ABC's The Goldbergs), but it will probably end in 2020 when the '90s revival completely takes over.

But 90s nostalgia just seems so big right now. Everywhere on the Internet, you can see at least some sort of 90s nostalgia from that page. Especially Buzzfeed.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/13/15 at 7:13 pm

But 90s nostalgia just seems so big right now. Everywhere on the Internet, you can see at least some sort of 90s nostalgia from that page. Especially Buzzfeed.

But that's the thing. It's the Internet - not the real world. The Internet is only a portion of everyone and can the make the smallest, most vocal minorities appear as the majority.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/13/15 at 7:28 pm

But that's the thing. It's the Internet - not the real world. The Internet is only a portion of everyone and can the make the smallest, most vocal minorities appear as the majority.

So? 80s nostalgia was really big during the 2000s and it wasn't that popular until I Love The 80s, That 80's Show and some 80s revivals were around. It was a phenomenon to everybody who grew up or loved the 80s. And for 90s nostalgia, the Internet is REALLY big now. I mean, over 2.4 billion people use the Internet right now. And the majority of those who were born in the mid-late 80s are very nostalgic over the 90s. Especially with sites like Buzzfeed, YouTube and many other nostalgia sites, it really proves that 90s nostalgia is really big. Not to mention that Nickelodeon has a 90s nostalgia block and that The X-Files are going to be rebooted soon.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/13/15 at 8:40 pm

and adolescents. I've seen many comments from those who were in MS and HS during the 90s that miss that time period and what it provided.

Yeah, I'm interested to see people born in the 70s and VERY early 80s get nostalgic for what they liked in the 90s. I'm KINDA burnt out seeing the 90s kid nostalgia thing.
I would extend that to the mid 80s. Those born in that timeframe would have also been in the youth audience along with those born in the 70s and early 80s.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/13/15 at 8:46 pm

and adolescents. I've seen many comments from those who were in MS and HS during the 90s that miss that time period and what it provided.

Well, I just paired up the teens with the young adults as they're paired up in many categories.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/13/15 at 11:39 pm

Your generation just started delving into '90s, so the '90s revival should still be alive in the 2020s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/14/15 at 9:03 am

Your generation just started delving into '90s, so the '90s revival should still be alive in the 2020s.

But I'm not a 90s kid.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/14/15 at 4:16 pm

But I'm not a 90s kid.

Sorry about that.

Check for new replies or respond here...