inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fantasy Football

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/15/15 at 5:01 pm

A few years ago my company was interviewing a candidate (his father was one of our customers) who I knew to be a total d-bag.  Over my objections he scored an interview for a job with us.  When our company president asked him the usual question "What in your life are you most proud of?  It does not have to be associated with work," the d-bag (who was a grown man) responded that the item in his life of which he was proud over everything else was "my participation in fantasy football."  At that moment the president started to see things my way.  ;D

Anyway until recently I did not realize that it is a huge business and basically is a form of gambling.  Lately DraftKings has been running this ad incessantly that shows these two d-bags pumping their fists and getting all teary-eyed over their conquest.  No mention, of course, about the hundreds of thousands of fantasy players who lost boatloads of money.

Does anybody here play fantasy football for serious money?
???  I'd like to hear "the other side of the story".

http://image.cdn.ispot.tv/ad/7U9V/draftkings-fantasy-football-real-people-real-winnings-large-4.jpg

Subject: Re: Fantasy Football

Written By: karen on 09/16/15 at 11:13 am

Not for serious money, but I did win top prize in a fantasy football (soccer) competition at work.  We all paid so much per team we entered and split the money between the top three.  The national papers published scores for players (so many for scoring a goal or an assist and probably points for winning goal keepers).

I know that at the time you could enter teams into one of several competitions being run by the newspapers.  I never took any notice of how much it cost or you could win.

This might still be a thing to do in the UK but I don't work at the same place.  Here we follow Great British Bake-off!

Subject: Re: Fantasy Football

Written By: whistledog on 09/16/15 at 1:37 pm

My brother tried Fan Duel and said it is legit.  He won a little over $100, but he also lost a little over $100.  You basically have to a) know your sports and b) like taking risks

Check for new replies or respond here...