inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 106 & PARK

Written By: the2001 on 10/01/15 at 12:10 pm

106 & Park is a spinoff of Viacom's TRL  that premiered in 2000 and lasted all the way until 2014.
Does anyone miss this show? It was like urban TRL.  When TRL ended in 2008  106 &Park was the only place
left that had a countdown/studio audience. As the show evolved in the early 2010s it turned into a pop countdown.
In fact most of the stage set pieces from TRL were moved over to 106 & park

Does anyone miss this show? I miss coming home and turning on BET and watching the top 10 videos of the day.
It is wild to think this show was still on the air even in 2013 and 2014.

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/451935950-park-hosts-bow-wow-and-tinashe-attend-106-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QW0%2BN2SyQXyakRF9MmRpYBjHqPcMS3tH8BFYgARMhigz59qYGDBrhYqNa%2FMt9ssIhg%3D%3D

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8387/8562532240_a45e5349fc.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/218/041/6/S2180416/slug/l/187901642-1.jpg

Subject: Re: 106 & PARK

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/02/15 at 8:00 pm

The show had its swan song once Free and AJ left. I literally quit watching once they left.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/03/15 at 10:19 am

I would have posted this thread in the 2000s section. The 2000s is how most know 106. The program becoming pop was the main reason it really lost its appeal. 106 was meant to air exclusively Hip Hop and R&B. That's what made the block unique and what it was. Once it was force into pop sounding music, it wasn't unique anymore. Just another pop music station.

Written By: the2001 on 10/03/15 at 5:41 pm

I would have posted this thread in the 2000s section. The 2000s is how most know 106. The program becoming pop was the main reason it really lost its appeal. 106 was meant to air exclusively Hip Hop and R&B. That's what made the block unique and what it was. Once it was force into pop sounding music, it wasn't unique anymore. Just another pop music station.

I think the main reason why 106 went pop was because of TRL ended, then VIACOM the parent company of both shows
moved all sets and shifted program formats to 106. It kind of sucks tho regardless where do the Tinashes and Wales of the world
have now to promote their music other than  Facebook,youtube,itunes. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/06/15 at 9:41 am

I loved Hip-Hop and R&B when I was younger, so 106 & Park was basically appointment viewing for me. For about two years or so, I went through a stretch where I watched TRL and 106 literally everyday, but I did begin to lose interest as I got older. I hadn't actually watched an episode since about 2003, so I certainly didn't know that it was still on the air until last year.

Written By: tv on 10/21/15 at 1:11 am

The show had its swan song once Free and AJ left. I literally quit watching once they left.
Yeah I was shocked when they get fired or released from their respective contracts or whatever happened.  I haven't watched 106 & Park since 2003 or 2004.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/21/16 at 6:28 pm

I really miss that classic BET logo. Haha The channel used to be such a fun network. Rap City was a really enjoyable program that gives me a nice glimpse of my 2004 nostalgia. A good amount of charm fell from the network by 2005 and ultimately dispersed by 2007.

It was until actual classic African American sitcoms airing on the network that sadly ruined it. I promise you, if BET went back to airing specific music videos, it was retain some of its former glory.

Written By: Ripley on 09/22/16 at 12:36 am

Same here. I stopped watching cause Free and AJ made that show, I mean it was theirs. It made me mad when they were dropped like that.

Written By: Ripley on 09/22/16 at 12:40 am

I really miss that classic BET logo. Haha The channel used to be such a fun network. Rap City was a really enjoyable program that gives me a nice glimpse of my 2004 nostalgia. A good amount of charm fell from the network by 2005 and ultimately dispersed by 2007.

It was until actual classic African American sitcoms airing on the network that sadly ruined it. I promise you, if BET went back to airing specific music videos, it was retain some of its former glory.

The same could be said for MTV. I think these two once great channels are long past those glory days.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/22/16 at 6:45 am

I'm not a big expert on most BET shows for that matter, but I remember tuning into 106 & Park sometimes, and I totally agree with Apollo 86 that its prime years were with AJ & Free from 2000-2005, but honestly I was completely find with the show with Terrence J & Rocsi too, it was bittersweet when they left in 2012 knowing them on there for 7 years, and I hadn't tuned into the show ever since. I didn't care for the last few years Bow Wow was on there.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/22/16 at 10:27 am

The same could be said for MTV. I think these two once great channels are long past those glory days.

I wouldn't know for MTV since the network's program was complicated for me. I definitely miss 2000s MTV2 though. 2003-2005.
I'm not a big expert on most BET shows for that matter, but I remember tuning into 106 & Park sometimes, and I totally agree with Apollo 86 that its prime years were with AJ & Free from 2000-2005, but honestly I was completely find with the show with Terrence J & Rocsi too, it was bittersweet when they left in 2012 knowing them on there for 7 years, and I hadn't tuned into the show ever since. I didn't care for the last few years Bow Wow was on there.

Terrence and Rocsi did do justice for 106. Bow Wow made it cheesy. Its not his fault though.

Written By: J. Rob on 09/23/16 at 9:03 am

Everything went downhill when AJ and Free left

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/23/16 at 9:24 am

Everything went downhill when AJ and Free left

The network was generally good from the Late 90s-2004. But yeah. They were the life of the network by 2005. I still say non original programing destroyed the network that made it a clone of specific channels the ported shows were from. By 2007, BET felt more like a version of MTV.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/03/18 at 9:45 pm

Bump.

Yo ReighMan, move this to the 2000s section when you get a chance.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/03/18 at 9:59 pm

Terrace and Rosci actually came in 2006, Julessa and Tigga came in 2005 after Aj and Free left.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/03/18 at 11:05 pm

Of course I miss it. It is part of what makes the 2000s special for me. I stopped watching a little bit after Terrance & Rosci came. Though, I still tuned in sometimes. I miss Rap City as well and the little music video block they used to play before Rap City and 106. I miss all the music shows we had, it made the music world so much more interesting.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/04/18 at 8:00 am

Of course I miss it. It is part of what makes the 2000s special for me. I stopped watching a little bit after Terrance & Rosci came. Though, I still tuned in sometimes. I miss Rap City as well and the little music video block they used to play before Rap City and 106. I miss all the music shows we had, it made the music world so much more interesting.

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/viacom-newfronts-twitter-snapchat-vidcon-1202791655/

“Freestyle Friday”: Revival of the popular “Freestyle Friday” segment from BET’s hit show “106 & Park” for YouTube and Facebook. Once a month, leading up to BET’s 2018 Hip Hop Awards in October, emcees will be invited to an open-mic session streamed live online.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/04/18 at 8:34 am

I remember exactly what your being specific of. A music video block before 106 and Rap City, I recall being completely random and nameless. It got a new look in 04 and 05, I don't know. I remember it would air on Saturdays to.

What I really miss now is that 100 countdown BET used to do at the end of the year that completion would span at 24 hours you just had to anticipate back then. I really miss those emotional connections I had watching BET music videos. Making The Video was highly entertaining to. Sh!t. I don't recall those continuing after 04. Haha

Written By: Early2002 on 05/04/18 at 8:39 am

yupp

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/04/18 at 9:02 am

"urban TRL"

What does that even mean?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/18 at 9:13 am

"urban TRL"

Is it worth Googling?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/04/18 at 10:36 am

Is it worth Googling?

I don't know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/18 at 10:38 am

I don't know.
I am not bothering...

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/04/18 at 11:44 am

I remember exactly what your being specific of. A music video block before 106 and Rap City, I recall being completely random and nameless. It got a new look in 04 and 05, I don't know. I remember it would air on Saturdays to.

What I really miss now is that 100 countdown BET used to do at the end of the year that completion would span at 24 hours you just had to anticipate back then. I really miss those emotional connections I had watching BET music videos. Making The Video was highly entertaining to. Sh!t. I don't recall those continuing after 04. Haha

"Making The Video" was MTV. The one on BET was actually called "Access Granted." I think the last one I remember was Lloyd's "You" so that was around 2007.

Aside from the 100 countdown, they also had a program where they allowed music artists to countdown their favorite music videos and give little details about how music impacted them. I miss those too, I would learn a lot about music artists that way and how their favorite music influenced them. You are so right about the emotional connections being there.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/04/18 at 11:57 am

"urban TRL"

It means a live countdown of music videos aimed at urban audiences (Hip-Hop/R&B). There weren't a lot of those, even when TRL was on the air, especially if you didn't have digital cable to watch shows like Suckerfree.

I stopped watching 106 before they began including pop artists. I literally did not know people like Lorde and other pop artists were even invited to 106 until this post.

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/viacom-newfronts-twitter-snapchat-vidcon-1202791655/

“Freestyle Friday”: Revival of the popular “Freestyle Friday” segment from BET’s hit show “106 & Park” for YouTube and Facebook. Once a month, leading up to BET’s 2018 Hip Hop Awards in October, emcees will be invited to an open-mic session streamed live online.

I might watch, thanks for posting. I would rather them have a Rap City revival though. You just learned so much more about the artists through that program. I would've loved a Rap City revival back in 2009-2012. Imagine having reoccuring guest appearances from my era of rappers Kendrick, Cole, Cudi, Drake, members of Odd Future, Gambino, Wale, Joey, etc  :D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/04/18 at 1:09 pm

It means a live countdown of music videos aimed at urban audiences (Hip-Hop/R&B). There weren't a lot of those, even when TRL was on the air, especially if you didn't have digital cable to watch shows like Suckerfree.

I figured. "urban" is a funny term.

I often hear "urban youth" and people are usually referring to "Black/African-American youth".

That's why I asked the question.

TRL was pretty "urban", they had hip-hop and R&B artists on the show. Also, TRL was literally in the midst of Times Square, you can't get more urban than that ;D.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/04/18 at 2:18 pm

"Making The Video" was MTV. The one on BET was actually called "Access Granted." I think the last one I remember was Lloyd's "You" so that was around 2007.

Aside from the 100 countdown, they also had a program where they allowed music artists to countdown their favorite music videos and give little details about how music impacted them. I miss those too, I would learn a lot about music artists that way and how their favorite music influenced them. You are so right about the emotional connections being there.

That's what Making The Video sounds like to me. A BET sounding program. They had one with Britney Spears that aired, which I was confused over so your definitely right.

I remember that to. They were the top 25 countdown. I disliked it only, when artists wouldn't pick videos of the songs I like. Haha My favorite top 25 countdown is probably the countdowns from G-Unit and Ludacris.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/04/18 at 5:08 pm

That's what Making The Video sounds like to me. A BET sounding program. They had one with Britney Spears that aired, which I was confused over so your definitely right.

I remember that to. They were the top 25 countdown. I disliked it only, when artists wouldn't pick videos of the songs I like. Haha My favorite top 25 countdown is probably the countdowns from G-Unit and Ludacris.

LOL @ BET still on the air, the channel is pretty much almost dead

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/04/18 at 6:08 pm

LOL @ BET still on the air, the channel is pretty much almost dead

It's better now than it was in the late 2000s imo. It was atrocity then.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/05/18 at 10:35 am

I wish I could find extensions of those themes that sounded early millennium that played between BET music blocks from the early 2000s.

Eh. I'll just leave this for the heck of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVwjBgAPzKA

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/05/18 at 8:11 pm

I liked TRL better than 106 and Park. Hell, I liked MTV better than MTV.
The only time I remember watching 106 was when an MJ video dropped and it was in 2001. So...that's how long its been. When I was in high school some of the kids from our band were on there, and everyone was excited, but I didn't care. lol

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/05/18 at 8:30 pm

I wish I could find extensions of those themes that sounded early millennium that played between BET music blocks from the early 2000s.

Eh. I'll just leave this for the heck of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVwjBgAPzKA

All of those amazing artists >>>>

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/05/18 at 10:37 pm

All of those amazing artists >>>>

Those vibes though. They really give you a sense of that early millennium. If only BET promos were as commonly uploaded as promos from other networks of the same interest. Early to mid 2000s BET promos to be specific.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/08/18 at 9:29 am

I remember them. I remember in 2002 when (then Lil) Bow Wow had a music video which featured them in one clip.

lzIpB5jhLE

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/08/18 at 9:51 am

I remember them. I remember in 2002 when (then Lil) Bow Wow had a music video which featured them in one clip.

https://youtu.be/_lzIpB5jhLE

I don't think the YouTube embed works anymore, man. Unless you gotta take the s from the http. You got it with "https" right now.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/08/18 at 12:52 pm

I remember Free was so hyped to have her video with beyonce (fighting temptation) featured on the countdown. She was supposed to release an album too, I don't know if she ever did though. Free was my girl.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/30/18 at 9:08 pm

Rate The Bars feels like it was apart of the 2000s era BET. I'mma start tuning into that.

Check for new replies or respond here...