inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MTV rebrands itself

Written By: the2001 on 10/23/15 at 5:52 pm

MTV announced its TV rebranding today, with a three-minute video containing a smattering of motion art that’s manically-paced to the point of ineffability. It’s another major rebrand after its last in 2010, and it’s one that’s done away with a long-standing slogan: instead of the iconic “I want my MTV!” that a generation’s grown up with since the 80s, it’s now “I am my MTV,” perhaps as a gesture to the current generation’s movement toward self-examination, identity politics, and apparent narcissism.

Interestingly, it’s riding on the coattails of seapunk, a Tumblr microculture which had its peak in 2013. That’s not to say visual trends simply peak and die off immediately—vaporwave, another microculture is still going through phases of popularity—but that MTV is suddenly bargaining its brand image on some years-old trends while committing to “refreshing constantly” seems to be at odds.

It looks like some Vaporware Tumblr bs thats 3 years behind tbh.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/what-the-hell-is-mtvs-new-rebrand-about

http://www.music-asia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/MTV-Bump.png

http://motherboard-images.vice.com/content-images/contentimage/23088/1435259097780961.jpg

Subject: Re: MTV rebrands itself

Written By: Ripley on 10/23/15 at 6:18 pm

I wish they would turn themselves back into a music channel.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/15 at 7:00 pm

I wonder if MTV is towards the end of its days. I mean, who needs MTV when you have Youtube.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/23/15 at 7:06 pm

Oooohhhhh......

Written By: the2001 on 10/23/15 at 7:31 pm

I wonder if MTV is towards the end of its days. I mean, who needs MTV when you have Youtube.

mtv is in the last of its days one of the presidents of the company recently left

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/15 at 7:41 pm

mtv is in the last of its days one of the presidents of the company recently left

Wow, seriously?  :o

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/23/15 at 7:46 pm

So this is what a real swan song sounds like.  :(

Written By: the2001 on 10/23/15 at 7:53 pm

Wow, seriously?  :o

yes google van tofler

Written By: the2001 on 10/23/15 at 7:57 pm

So this is what a real swan song sounds like.  :(

yup its been real  ratings are at an all time low
and investors are saying to sell stock.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/23/15 at 9:16 pm

Wait, can't that be said to every cable channel in general?

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/15 at 10:01 pm

I don't know. Probably.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/23/15 at 10:23 pm

Between social media and video sites like Youtube and Vimeo I can see just about everyone I want (except Prince cause he got a stick in his butt and took all his music down)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/23/15 at 10:32 pm

I agree. The day that YouTube launched in 2005, MTV should've just went ahead and rebranded itself then because watching music videos on television was officially dead. I mean, think about it, who's going to sit around all day in front of the TV waiting to see a particular music video when you can just go online and watch basically every music video ever made on demand? There's an entire generation of kids that have grown up with YouTube that only know MTV as that random channel that shows re-runs of "Boy Meets World" and "Martin" all day long. Rebrand or not, I don't think that's gonna change anytime soon.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/15 at 4:02 am

Maybe they could rebrand to fit a narrow demographic which is where you see cable TV going anyway. They could become another "Man Channel" or possibly a "Gay Channel" or even appeal to a growing segment as "The Transgender Station".

Written By: the2001 on 10/24/15 at 7:24 am

I agree. The day that YouTube launched in 2005, MTV should've just went ahead and rebranded itself then because watching music videos on television was officially dead. I mean, think about it, who's going to sit around all day in front of the TV waiting to see a particular music video when you can just go online and watch basically every music video ever made on demand? There's an entire generation of kids that have grown up with YouTube that only know MTV as that random channel that shows re-runs of "Boy Meets World" and "Martin" all day long. Rebrand or not, I don't think that's gonna change anytime soon.

People werent flocking to youtube and watching videos in 2005 in droves, it wasnt untl like late 2007/2008 they realized they had to boot TRL
because more people were using youtube than watching their show, but it wasnt like MTV was playing music videos all day in 2000-2004 either tho.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/15 at 8:03 am

I wish they would turn themselves back into a music channel.

I say the same thing myself.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/15 at 8:03 am

MTV is nothing but garbage now.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/15 at 8:04 am

What about VH1?  ???

Written By: Howard on 10/24/15 at 8:05 am

Well, not exactly.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/24/15 at 9:29 am

People werent flocking to youtube and watching videos in 2005 in droves, it wasnt untl like late 2007/2008 they realized they had to boot TRL
because more people were using youtube than watching their show, but it wasnt like MTV was playing music videos all day in 2000-2004 either tho.

It didn't take long, though. YouTube launched publicly in November 2005, and by the time I discovered the site in late January 2006 there were already thousands of music videos on there. Granted, many of the videos were not of the best quality in those pre-Vevo days, but you didn't have to watch ads before every video either, so that kind of balances its out. I watched MTV everyday back in the early '00s, and music videos actually still had a fairly large presence back then. Sure, they weren't playing music videos 24/7 anymore by 2000, but TRL back in the Carson Daily era was unquestionably the centerpiece of the channel back then.

I think the biggest thing that's changed for MTV since the early '00s isn't necessarily the amount of music video content they show, but the channel's importance to the culture at large. Back in the early '00s, MTV was still the main arbiter of what music artists kids listened to. All the big acts of the late '90s/early '00s, from Limp Bizkit to the Backstreet Boys, were legitimized in the eyes of my middle school classmates when they made the TRL top 10. Having Carson Daily introduce your video back then was like the ultimate "stamp of approval". That's probably the most significant thing that YouTube has killed off for MTV.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/24/15 at 9:48 am

MTV is nothing but garbage now.

For me, it's been garbage since 2003!

Written By: 80sfan on 10/24/15 at 9:51 am

It didn't take long, though. YouTube launched publicly in November 2005, and by the time I discovered the site in late January 2006 there were already thousands of music videos on there. Granted, many of the videos were not of the best quality in those pre-Vevo days, but you didn't have to watch ads before every video either, so that kind of balances its out. I watched MTV everyday back in the early '00s, and music videos actually still had a fairly large presence back then. Sure, they weren't playing music videos 24/7 anymore by 2000, but TRL back in the Carson Daily era was unquestionably the centerpiece of the channel back then.

I think the biggest thing that's changed for MTV since the early '00s isn't necessarily the amount of music video content they show, but the channel's importance to the culture at large. Back in the early '00s, MTV was still the main arbiter of what music artists kids listened to. All the big acts of the late '90s/early '00s, from Limp Bizkit to the Backstreet Boys, were legitimized in the eyes of my middle school classmates when they made the TRL top 10. Having Carson Daily introduce your video back then was like the ultimate "stamp of approval". That's probably the most significant thing that YouTube has killed off for MTV.

I remember it got pretty popular by 2006 also. They killed TRL in 2008.

Written By: Sita0 on 10/24/15 at 11:42 am

I don't know. Probably.

I'd say that sports are the main reason I watch live TV at this point. The rest, I've got on the web.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/24/15 at 12:41 pm

I'd say that sports are the main reason I watch live TV at this point. The rest, I've got on the web.

My parents cancelled our Netflix so I watch The Walking Dead and Big Bang Theory.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/15 at 5:48 pm

That's probably the most significant thing that YouTube has killed off for MTV.

You can also watch some MTV programming on YouTube.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/15 at 5:49 pm

For me, it's been garbage since 2003!

It was garbage since they started airing those reality programs. ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/15 at 6:33 pm

What about VH1?  ???

VH1 is all Blaxploitation shows and naked dating shows these days.

Written By: the2001 on 10/24/15 at 6:42 pm

I remember it got pretty popular by 2006 also. They killed TRL in 2008.

TRL came back in 2014 for a cup of coffee, but the ratings were not good for it.

Original commercial https://vimeo.com/101008080

http://38.media.tumblr.com/7415b4906d7e20f364b94a9a77436a11/tumblr_n83y0d2rgP1qh9nffo1_500.gif

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/theneeds-images/selection/2014-07-03/thumbs/full512/9e9b32bc8372625b75c66e3f9d620ee3957b76ed.jpg

Written By: the2001 on 10/24/15 at 6:54 pm

this

Written By: mqg96 on 10/24/15 at 8:02 pm

Same here.

Written By: Ripley on 10/24/15 at 8:11 pm

What about VH1?  ???

They used to be good.  Now they're like MTV.  Reality TV and the same repetitive crap.

Written By: Howard on 10/25/15 at 2:59 pm

I know, I agree with you.

Written By: the2001 on 10/26/15 at 3:02 pm

I know, I agree with you.

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/29/15 at 8:52 pm

It was garbage since they started airing those reality programs. ::)

But... but...
http://www.xzibitcentral.com/images/pimp_my_ride/pimp-my-ride-dvd-3rd-season-cover.jpg
;D

Written By: Howard on 10/30/15 at 7:29 am

But... but...
http://www.xzibitcentral.com/images/pimp_my_ride/pimp-my-ride-dvd-3rd-season-cover.jpg
;D

Yeah but this isn't music, It's about pimps and cars! ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...