inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will multi-camera sitcoms make a comeback?

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/27/15 at 1:27 pm

It seems to me that people nowadays disregard multi-camera sitcoms as being outdated. At the moment, most comedies tend to be single camera. Sure there are still multi-cam sitcoms but they aren't really as successful. Because of this, a lot of people believe that multi cam sitcoms are outdated and dying.

Personally I disagree. When I look back at old sitcoms like Fresh Prince, Seinfeld, Home Improvment, they are still funny to this day. Even older sitcoms from the 80s like Blackadder are funnier than many single camera sitcoms we have nowadays. The fact is, a show can be good or bad, regardless of its format. I personally did not find Black-ish nor The Mindy Project very funny. On the other hand single-cam shows like Modern Family have great writing. The problem is that studios are not putting as much effort into making a good multi-camera sitcom. If they did that, I'm sure it would be very successful.

Now, in the future (around the 2020s), I see room for both single and multi camera sitcoms. I can't imagine one dying out for the other. They're two different formats, that work differently, however both have the potential to be funny with good writing. It would be pretty boring if we were stuck with only one style. Shows are basically art, and art should not be hindered simply because of the current trends. All it takes is one great show, for a style to become popular. That's why I believe multi-camera shows still have a future. It's not the format, it's the writing that's important. What do you guys think?

Subject: Re: Will multi-camera sitcoms make a comeback?

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/27/15 at 7:10 pm

Lest we forget the original three-camera sitcom, "I Love Lucy".

Desi and Lucy invented the technique.  8)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/31/15 at 2:29 pm

I don't see that happening nowadays.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/31/15 at 2:44 pm

Not now, but by 2019-2021, perhaps? You really can't use what's currently popular to predict the future. Sure, you may be able to predict what will be popular in a year or two, just maybe (sometimes not). However, what's currently popular is sure to change in the next 5 years. And these things go in cycles. While multi camera shows are in a state of dormancy in the 2010s, who's to say they won't make a comeback eventually? As soon as someone makes a great multi camera sitcom, I think the format will be back on it's feet.

Check for new replies or respond here...