inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Am I the only one who doesn't think we're in the "golden age of T.V."?

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/30/15 at 11:32 pm

I know I'm a minority on this, but I honestly don't think we're in the golden age of television. Sure I've like some shows, like the first season of True Detective (second season was crap), but I feel most shows nowadays are ridiculously overhyped. I don't care for The Walking Dead (after season 1), Game of Thrones, and Orange is the New Black. I recently checked out The Blacklist, and to me it was boring and generic. I feel like every show nowadays has a very similar vibe. Like they're trying too hard to be epic and "deep", but just end up being predictable. Then there's comedies, which are sort of hit and miss. I cannot stand The Mindy Project, while something like The Goldbergs is just okay (sometimes funny sometimes meh). I wish there were some good multi-camera shows, to mix it up with the single camera comedies. So overall, I just think there needs to be more variety on T.V.

I've given today's shows a chance, and I'm just not feeling it, despite being the targeted demographic (22 years old). It all just seems overhyped. Nothing really seems exiting or fun at the moment. I know I'm a total downer when it comes to the current pop culture, but I just can't help it. Sure there are some shows that I've liked, but I wouldn't call it the "golden age". Does anyone else feel this way?

Subject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't think we're in the "golden age of T.V."?

Written By: #Infinity on 10/30/15 at 11:43 pm

Personally, I think the 90s were a much stronger decade for television than the 2010s.

Subject: Re: Am I the only one who doesn't think we're in the "golden age of T.V."?

Written By: mqg96 on 10/31/15 at 12:11 am

When it comes to the access of what you can watch on TV and Netflix/Hulu combined, I'd say yes we're definitely in a golden age, however, I think in terms of variety of what's currently running, no we're not. As I've already mentioned on the other thread, I also like the DC/Marvel superhero shows too, like Marvel Agents of Shield, The Flash, Arrow, and I'll be checking out the new Supergirl series soon. I'm surprised you don't like the Walking Dead, that's my favorite of all of what you listed, and a lot of the series is filmed in my home state too, which is probably part of the reason why I love it so much! Whenever your favorite teams for college football, NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. come on TV during the seasons, you still got that especially the national televised games. I know it's technically not TV shows, but it's still something to watch on TV period that will make your day. So it's not completely dead.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/31/15 at 7:15 am

Most of what you see on TV these days is gratuitous filth, such as "Two Broke Girls" or the various "Naked Dating" or "Alone and Naked" type shows.  If it is not that stuff, then it is shows aimed at trying to brainwash you into thinking that every other person you know is homosexual, or wants to butcher themselves by "changing gender", or that people anywhere in the Middle East have anything approximating American values.

TV continues to be a vast wasteland.

Written By: Howard on 10/31/15 at 7:17 am

Most of what you see on TV these days is gratuitous filth, such as "Two Broke Girls" or the various "Naked Dating" or "Alone and Naked" type shows.

TV continues to be a vast wasteland.

I definitely agree, all these TV shows are not the way that it used to be.

Written By: carriefire on 10/31/15 at 12:11 pm

The golden age of TV was in the 1960s .
The 70s werent bad either, some of it.
Although there are some good shows on TV today, the vast majority of it belongs in the trash can.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/31/15 at 2:29 pm

Maybe you and some other InThe00s members are the only ones who actually give a damn about the golden age of TV in the 2010s. In my opinion, the 2010s isn't the golden age of TV or cable. The '50s-'80s had that, while the late 90s and the entire 2000s had a large renaissance at the time. Besides, there isn't that much people watching TV nowadays, since they're already obsessed with their smartphones, tablets and other bullcrap that Apple invented in this decade.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/31/15 at 2:47 pm

Maybe you and some other InThe00s members are the only ones who actually give a damn about the golden age of TV in the 2010s. In my opinion, the 2010s isn't the golden age of TV or cable. The '50s-'80s had that, while the late 90s and the entire 2000s had a large renaissance at the time. Besides, there isn't that much people watching TV nowadays, since they're already obsessed with their smartphones, tablets and other bullcrap that Apple invented in this decade.

Read my post again dude. I said that I DON'T think we're in the golden age. It's in the title, for christ's sake.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/31/15 at 2:54 pm

Read my post again dude. I said that I DON'T think we're in the golden age. It's in the title, for christ's sake.

Dude, I thought this thread was about the golden age. I'm sorry as sheesh. Anyway, it's an obvious no that we aren't in the golden age of TV.

Written By: Syn on 10/31/15 at 4:26 pm

I think it's the new form of watching television (Netflix) that has sparked this belief of a new golden age. 

Written By: Howard on 10/31/15 at 5:54 pm

Besides, there isn't that much people watching TV nowadays, since they're already obsessed with their smartphones, tablets and other bullcrap that Apple invented in this decade.

Why watch TV when you have other sources.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/31/15 at 5:59 pm

I grew up on REAL golden age reruns as a child:

60s version of Batman
Gilligan's Island
Dennis the Menace
Bewitched

And shows of that sort. I always felt that I was out of touch with "current" stuff. Because I'd rather watch what I named when I'm not hooked to my trauma shows. Or you know that certain musical family....  But I'm glad I came up that way, so that I realize there are other forms of humor than potty humor.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/01/15 at 10:51 am

It's all a matter of preference. To me, network television in this decade has been (with only a few exception) complete garbage, but the so-called "Cable Revolution" has been as great as advertised. Other than "The Walking Dead" (which I also feel is a bit overrated), this run of shows that we've seen on basic and premium cable over the last ten years or so has been nothing short of incredible. Whether you would consider this to be a "Golden Age" or not, it's hard to against the greatness of shows like "Breaking Bad", "Game of Thrones", "The Sopranos" and "The Wire". It's also been a deep bench. Some of my favorite shows of the last few years have been ones that haven't gotten as much attention from critics, like "Burn Notice" and "Leverage". "Fargo", which is now in it's second season, is starting to become one of my favorites as well.

I think it's really comparable to any other decade. The 90's, for example, had numerous all-time great shows (like "Seinfeld", "E.R.", "Fraiser", "Homicide", and "The Simpsons" just to name a few), but I'll be the first to admit that there's also plenty of shows I loved as a kid back then that have not stood the test of time. After all, for every "Seinfeld", there's always a "Step by Step" or "Empty Nest".

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/01/15 at 11:27 am

Don't let Snoz hear you calling Walking Dead "overrated"  ;D

I agree, I watch alot of 90s sitcoms. I'm watching Seinfeld daily to the point I can speak the line along with the actors. LOL. and ER was my show back in the day. I always like hospital dramas.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/01/15 at 11:28 am

Not a golden age, but not a dark age either. Not plain or boring either. :.shrugs shoulders:.

Written By: Howard on 11/01/15 at 2:56 pm

I grew up on REAL golden age reruns as a child:

60s version of Batman
Gilligan's Island
Dennis the Menace
Bewitched

And shows of that sort. I always felt that I was out of touch with "current" stuff. Because I'd rather watch what I named when I'm not hooked to my trauma shows. Or you know that certain musical family....  But I'm glad I came up that way, so that I realize there are other forms of humor than potty humor.

My golden age of TV was watching shows from the 80's such as Family Ties, Silver Spoons and The Cosby Show.

Written By: gibbo on 11/01/15 at 9:29 pm

The golden age of TV was in the 1960s .
The 70s werent bad either, some of it.
Although there are some good shows on TV today, the vast majority of it belongs in the trash can.

Having lived through those decades, I tend to agree with you.

Today's shows are all trying to be too cool. It's like most things ... tv stumbles onto something that works and then tries to mass produce the same thing ... and fails almost every time.  This is most prevalent with reality tv shows. If they get a success, they then try to produce a similar result in future series. Instead of allowing the show to develop naturally .. they start to script it and choose contestants/participants that will most achieve their desired result. The rest is all down to editing.  Just awful...

Written By: wixness on 11/03/15 at 2:33 pm

For me, this is the golden age of animated films by Disney and Pixar. OK, Frozen sent it off to a rocky start, but everything else after it seemed good in my opinion. I just don't tend to watch much TV and films, though.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 11/08/15 at 3:18 pm

It's certainly the golden age for dramatic television.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/14/15 at 12:08 pm

If you have several favorite shows scattered on different channels, that can be considered golden age T.V in your own right. Its about enjoyable shows channels can offer you that add up now. I enjoy Follow The Rules, Duel Survival, Empire, Cops, Broke A$$ Game Show and Love & Hip Hop, mainly for the ladies.

Written By: winteriscoming on 11/17/15 at 6:02 am

I don't like today's TV because there's way too many commercials, and I dislike the filming style that makes it look like it's recorded on a digital camera.

Written By: Howard on 11/17/15 at 2:48 pm

I don't like today's TV because there's way too many commercials, and I dislike the filming style that makes it look like it's recorded on a digital camera.

I'm not crazy about today's TV also.

Check for new replies or respond here...