inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Neo Disney Renaissance

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/31/15 at 8:47 pm

Before reading what I have to say check out this article:

http://thedcast.com/2015/06/04/is-disney-animation-studios-in-a-second-renaissance/

Now then, how do you guys feel about this? What would be your favorite movie so far in this new era? And finally are you excited about the new movie Moana?

For me personally I agree with the article. Growing up I wasn't really a fan of the noughties Disney films. Though there were exceptions like Lilo & Stich and The Emperor's New Groove but for the most part they were bad or average at best. So for most of my childhood, especially in the early 00's, I would watch the 90's classics with my older sisters since we had most of the movies on VHS. This also applied for my school life as well. During the winter time during my elementary years, we would usually watch a movie in the auditorium instead of having recess and usually it would be Disney movies. Many of them being the 90's classics like Aladdin and Beauty & The Beast to name a few.

So when I first heard about The Princess & The Frog I was flabbergasted. It seemed like a renaissance film to me at the time. When I watched it in theaters with my family (and keep in mind this was probably the first disney animated film that wasn't Pixar that I saw in theaters) I was blown away. The animation, the characters, the plot, the music (though not as memorable as other films, was still very good), etc.

It made me realize how much I missed from that golden age of Disney and it made me optimistic of the future for the company.

Now while Disney hasn't returned to the traditional animation style since then, the quality of their films continued to get better and better every year!

Now for me personally my favorite Neo Renaissance film so far hands down is (and you might kill me for saying this) Frozen.

Now is the film overrated as hell?
Yes

Is the story revolutionary?
No

But is the film good?
Thats an understatement, its great!

Now to be fair I actually like all of the neo films, Wreck it Ralph was infact my favorite until Frozen took its place. And I also love Tangled (I actually found the romance and side characters in this movie better than Frozen).

I've seen all of them except for Big Hero 6 which I have heard is very good! I'm also excited to see Moana, so lets hope for the best.

Anyways how do you guys feel about this, happy, sad, upset?

Subject: Re: Neo Disney Renaissance

Written By: 80sfan on 10/31/15 at 9:13 pm

I like this new Disney era.

People point to the 30s, 50s, and 90s, as the other 'golden ages'. I guess we can count the 2010s as another one.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/31/15 at 9:15 pm

The 60s was a so-so era.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/31/15 at 9:27 pm

I like this new Disney era.

People point to the 30s, 50s, and 90s, as the other 'golden ages'. I guess we can count the 2010s as another one.

True it seems like the odd number decades are usually when Disney is at their best

Written By: 80sfan on 10/31/15 at 9:52 pm

True it seems like the odd number decades are usually when Disney is at their best

Yeah, except the 70s.  :-X  :-X

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 10/31/15 at 10:17 pm

Yeah, except the 70s.  :-X  :-X

true

Written By: #Infinity on 10/31/15 at 10:42 pm

Yes, I would definitely consider the 2010s a second renaissance period for Disney, considering how badly they struggled in the 2000s.  Frankly, the 2000s were so bad that they made the 70s and 80s look golden by comparison.  Now in the 2010s, Broadway-style musicals are common once again, and even the non-musicals such as Wreck-It-Ralph and Big Hero 6 are a thousand times more focused and emotionally resonant than Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, and Bolt ever were.

I do worry, however, about Zootopia.  The premise sounds worryingly similar to Chicken Little, which is my absolute least favorite film in the Disney canon.  It seems like an experiment that could either work or bomb miserably.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/01/15 at 2:17 am

I really liked Big Hero 6.  It is the first Disney animated classic in years that I really enjoyed.  Never saw Frozen.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/01/15 at 8:17 am

Let's not forget Disney's "Miley Era".

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/01/15 at 8:28 am

Let's not forget Disney's "Miley Era".

Well that's Disney channel, not the Disney brand itself. But I do agree that was a pretty bleak time as well. Come to think of it Disney channel hasn't really recovered from that era AT ALL!

They still show the generic cookie cutter tween shows like they did during the Miley era, hoping to one day cash in the same success shows like Hannah Montana and movies like High School Musical had

It's pretty pathetic if you think about it

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/01/15 at 8:31 am

Yes, I would definitely consider the 2010s a second renaissance period for Disney, considering how badly they struggled in the 2000s.  Frankly, the 2000s were so bad that they made the 70s and 80s look golden by comparison.  Now in the 2010s, Broadway-style musicals are common once again, and even the non-musicals such as Wreck-It-Ralph and Big Hero 6 are a thousand times more focused and emotionally resonant than Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, and Bolt ever were.

I do worry, however, about Zootopia.  The premise sounds worryingly similar to Chicken Little, which is my absolute least favorite film in the Disney canon.  It seems like an experiment that could either work or bomb miserably.

Yeah I'm a bit worried myself. How do you feel about Moana? Personally for me it gives off a sorta Lilo & Stitch kind of vibe. That could probably work in their favor or disadvantage

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/01/15 at 8:35 am

I really liked Big Hero 6.  It is the first Disney animated classic in years that I really enjoyed.  Never saw Frozen.

I'm the opposite. I've seen Frozen a few times but have yet to see Big Hero 6. Any ways i would suggest Frozen. Just don't be expected to be completed blown away like the other Disney films.

For instance its my personal favorite of the new films at the moment, but I understand it's overrated.

Some have claimed its better than Lion King, ummm no...  ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 11/01/15 at 1:15 pm

Yeah I'm a bit worried myself. How do you feel about Moana? Personally for me it gives off a sorta Lilo & Stitch kind of vibe. That could probably work in their favor or disadvantage

Lilo & Stich was set in modern-day Hawaii with a major focus on an alien.  Moana is evidently supposed to be Frozen's migration to the South Pacific.  I'm confident the two movies will actually be quite different, even more so than Cinderella, Beauty & the Beast, The Aristocats, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame were all distinct from one another.

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/01/15 at 3:25 pm

It seems like we are in a bit of a Neo-Renaissance. Not sure if counts as apart of the new renaissance, but I loved The Princess and the Frog. I also loved Tangled, in fact, it's probably my favorite Disney movie of the 2010s. I have not seen Winnie the Pooh 2011, however I've heard it was pretty good despite not doing well at the box office. I've not seen Wreck-It Ralph yet, though I hear good things about it. I think I may enjoy it, as a huge video game fan. And then there's Frozen, which is basically the 2010s equivalent of The Lion King. Although I really liked it, I wouldn't say it's one of my favorite Disney movies. I still think Tangled is better. And then there's Big Hero 6, which I haven't seen, and to be honest, I'm not sure I'm too interested in it. I'll give it a try, and I like it then great, if not, then whatever.

One thing I wish would happen is for Disney to do both traditionally animated movies and computer animation. That would truly make it a Renaissance. Speaking of which, do you think Disney will eventually do traditionally animated movies again in the future, or do you think they will never do another one? My hopes are that by the next decade, Disney works on both hand-drawn movies and computer animated movies. Sticking to just one format will eventually get boring. And I refuse to believe that traditional animation is dead. In fact I think people who believe it's dead are pretty ignorant.

Written By: Shemp97 on 11/01/15 at 9:15 pm

Is OP including Pixar films in his/her criticisms of the hundreds era? Because there weren't alot of 2D films in the 00s and Pixar was considered at their best then. Not sure about Inside Out, but I really miss the creativity and wonder brought on by Pixar movies.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/02/15 at 12:06 am

Is OP including Pixar films in his/her criticisms of the hundreds era? Because there weren't alot of 2D films in the 00s and Pixar was considered at their best then. Not sure about Inside Out, but I really miss the creativity and wonder brought on by Pixar movies.

I was refering to Disney animated films strictly. I agree that Pixar was in a golden age for the 2000's, I think they still are a pretty innovative team though especially with their new hit Inside Out and Good Dinosaur is about to hit the scene (come to think of it, having two pixar films in one year is a first for the studio)

Written By: #Infinity on 11/02/15 at 12:28 am

I was refering to Disney animated films strictly. I agree that Pixar was in a golden age for the 2000's, I think they still are a pretty innovative team though especially with their new hit Inside Out and Good Dinosaur is about to hit the scene (come to think of it, having two pixar films in one year is a first for the studio)

Good Dinosaur looks really unoriginal, to be honest, especially after having seen the trailers for it.  Its premise seems like a mashup of The Croods and How to Train Your Dragon, with a clichéd return home storyline thrown in for effect.  It doesn't look like a terrible film, but my guess is that it'll be a regression back to Pixar releasing mostly good-but-not-great films this decade.

Written By: popguru85 on 11/02/15 at 1:37 am

Also consider something that the article forgot, Disney as a company is bigger now than it was 20 years ago. Disney also owns Marvel and its Cinematic Universe and the Star Wars Franchise. These films are some of the highest grossing films and franchises. Even if some of the animated films don't do too well, they have some other films that can make up for the loss in $.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/02/15 at 9:20 pm

Also consider something that the article forgot, Disney as a company is bigger now than it was 20 years ago. Disney also owns Marvel and its Cinematic Universe and the Star Wars Franchise. These films are some of the highest grossing films and franchises. Even if some of the animated films don't do too well, they have some other films that can make up for the loss in $.

I remember being pissed off like a rocket when I heard about Disney buying Marvel back in 2009! I've gotten used to it now though, and the Marvel franchise has done an excellent job throughout this decade so far.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/07/15 at 9:39 am

I remember being pissed off like a rocket when I heard about Disney buying Marvel back in 2009! I've gotten used to it now though, and the Marvel franchise has done an excellent job throughout this decade so far.

Yeah what's strange though is that in Universal Studios in Orlando they still have their own Marvel section in Islands of Adventure. Also you still have some Marvel movies being produced by FOX

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/07/15 at 9:42 am

Good Dinosaur looks really unoriginal, to be honest, especially after having seen the trailers for it.  Its premise seems like a mashup of The Croods and How to Train Your Dragon, with a clichéd return home storyline thrown in for effect.  It doesn't look like a terrible film, but my guess is that it'll be a regression back to Pixar releasing mostly good-but-not-great films this decade.

Yeah it doesn't seem that original tbh same could be said with Zootopia. However I'm still pretty optimistic though. I've seen some new info on Moana which is expected to come out in late 2016, and it's getting me more and more excited!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/07/15 at 5:24 pm

Yeah what's strange though is that in Universal Studios in Orlando they still have their own Marvel section in Islands of Adventure. Also you still have some Marvel movies being produced by FOX

Yeah X MEN is still owned by fox, but from what I've heard Fantastic Four MIGHT go back to Marvel.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/07/15 at 5:39 pm

Yeah X MEN is still owned by fox, but from what I've heard Fantastic Four MIGHT go back to Marvel.

Oh ok, Disney owns about 65% of Marvel while bits and pieces of it are from past deals and other corporate shenanigans

Written By: #Infinity on 11/08/15 at 1:56 am

Yeah it doesn't seem that original tbh same could be said with Zootopia. However I'm still pretty optimistic though. I've seen some new info on Moana which is expected to come out in late 2016, and it's getting me more and more excited!

I'm hoping Zootopia just turns out to be to this Disney Renaissance what Pocahontas was to the original, in that it's the only truly lackluster film amidst a long string of critical and audience successes (Winnie-the-Pooh is the Rescuers Down Under of the current Renaissance, aka the forgotten but still solid early film).  I'm much more confident about Moana, however.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/08/15 at 8:59 pm

I'm hoping Zootopia just turns out to be to this Disney Renaissance what Pocahontas was to the original, in that it's the only truly lackluster film amidst a long string of critical and audience successes (Winnie-the-Pooh is the Rescuers Down Under of the current Renaissance, aka the forgotten but still solid early film). I'm much more confident about Moana, however.

Yeah same here! I have high hopes for the film. Especially since it follows the new plot style in Disney Princess movies where the main female protagonists are strong, independent, smart, & relatable

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/09/15 at 12:06 am

Yeah same here! I have high hopes for the film. Especially since it follows the new plot style in Disney Princess movies where the main female protagonists are strong, independent, smart, & relatable

Personally I don't think Disney movies with strong, independent female roles are anything new. There's already movies like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Mulan, and Tarzan, to name a few. But I just don't see how the 2010s Disney movies are unique or progressive in that regard.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/09/15 at 12:41 am

Personally I don't think Disney movies with strong, independent female roles are anything new. There's already movies like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Mulan, and Tarzan, to name a few. But I just don't see how the 2010s Disney movies are unique or progressive in that regard.

I think the most progressive aspects about Frozen are the unsubtle message about not rushing into relationships based on first impressions, as well as the fact that one of the two princesses does not have a love interest (even Mulan has a sort of relationship with Shang, unpronounced as it may be).  Since Pixar is owned by Disney, you could extend the argument of 2010s Disney Princesses being more progressive to include Merida, who decides against marrying a suitor, despite cultural pressure.  In the 90s, despite not always being helpless damsels in distress, there was still a huge sense that Disney Princesses absolutely needed a man in order to be complete, whereas this decade, it's become much more of a personal thing.

In addition to all of that, The Princess and the Frog featured an African American princess, which was pretty groundbreaking at the time.

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/09/15 at 1:26 am

I think the most progressive aspects about Frozen are the unsubtle message about not rushing into relationships based on first impressions, as well as the fact that one of the two princesses does not have a love interest (even Mulan has a sort of relationship with Shang, unpronounced as it may be).  Since Pixar is owned by Disney, you could extend the argument of 2010s Disney Princesses being more progressive to include Merida, who decides against marrying a suitor, despite cultural pressure.  In the 90s, despite not always being helpless damsels in distress, there was still a huge sense that Disney Princesses absolutely needed a man in order to be complete, whereas this decade, it's become much more of a personal thing.

In addition to all of that, The Princess and the Frog featured an African American princess, which was pretty groundbreaking at the time.

Okay, I guess I could see that. To be honest, though, I'm not the biggest fan of Frozen. I think it's a good movie, but I don't think it's as extraordinary as everyone says. Sure it may have some elements that are new in Disney films, but I don't think it makes the film "groundbreaking". Then there's Merida, whom is a decent character, however it really doesn't save the story of Brave (the movie was pretty forgettable in my opinion). Also, you mentioned that she decides against marrying a suitor. This is also not new, since Jasmine does the same in Aladdin.

In my opinion, a good movie is a good movie. When a Disney movie has a great story, great characters, and great animation, whether it has "progressive" elements or not, doesn't completely matter. Sure it can enhance the story, if it doesn't feel forced. Brave didn't sell me as a movie, mostly because I found the story rather underwhelming. I also found the story in Frozen to be a bit lackluster, though I did find the characters enjoyable and entertaining, and the animation was really good.

As for The Princess and the Frog, I'm a bit divided. I love the movie (as I stated before, it's one of my favorites of the neo-Renaissance), and having a black princess is a pretty groundbreaking move. But I don't think it's as groundbreaking as everyone claims it to be. I mean, Aladdin featured Princess Jasmine, the first non-white Disney Princess. Though I do admit that there were some morons who took issue with Tiana being black. However, I'm not sure if there were that many people who felt this strongly opposed to the movie or if it was just a loud minority. Some people theorize that this resulted in the poor box office results. Whether there was a racial element to it or not, I can't say for sure.

I don't mean to sound like a contrarian, I'm just giving my honest, unadulterated opinion.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/09/15 at 3:09 am

Also, you mentioned that she decides against marrying a suitor. This is also not new, since Jasmine does the same in Aladdin.

She still desperately wants love, just not from the rich prince who the Sultan proposes for her.  Merida, on the other hand, is content just doing her everything thing, without the need of companionship in order to feel happy.

In my opinion, a good movie is a good movie. When a Disney movie has a great story, great characters, and great animation, whether it has "progressive" elements or not, doesn't completely matter. Sure it can enhance the story, if it doesn't feel forced. Brave didn't sell me as a movie, mostly because I found the story rather underwhelming. I also found the story in Frozen to be a bit lackluster, though I did find the characters enjoyable and entertaining, and the animation was really good.

I agree, and I too find Frozen overrated even though it's a pretty good film.  It matters a lot, though, for Disney's most progressive films to also be their most successful, and even though Frozen doesn't go as far as having non-pretty/white princesses or making Elsa explicitly gay, it's at least a step in the right direction.

As for The Princess and the Frog, I'm a bit divided. I love the movie (as I stated before, it's one of my favorites of the neo-Renaissance), and having a black princess is a pretty groundbreaking move. But I don't think it's as groundbreaking as everyone claims it to be. I mean, Aladdin featured Princess Jasmine, the first non-white Disney Princess. Though I do admit that there were some morons who took issue with Tiana being black. However, I'm not sure if there were that many people who felt this strongly opposed to the movie or if it was just a loud minority. Some people theorize that this resulted in the poor box office results. Whether there was a racial element to it or not, I can't say for sure.

There's a huge difference, though, between a Middle Eastern Disney Princess and an African American one, especially considering Tiana lives in the Jim Crow-era South.  Aladdin came out a year after the Gulf War, but almost a decade before 9/11, and up until the latter point, Middle Eastern Americans were often treated as basically white in the same way Jewish Americans were considered white (they're still considered a white sub-ethnicity by the U.S. Census).  Also, Aladdin takes place in a sort of modernized version of medieval Arabia, so the sociopolitical context isn't as controversial as if she was living in war-torn Iraq.  The Princess and the Frog takes place less than a century before the film came out, and in an area with a deep history of slavery, which continues to haunt it even to this day.  From an American perspective, at least, it was much bolder to create a strong, ethical female lead in a context bound to extreme controversy than it was to create a Census-defined white princess inspired by the classic 1001 Arabian Nights novel, which had been popular for nearly three centuries leading up to the movie.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/09/15 at 10:27 am

A movie doesn't have to be original to be good. But it does help.

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/09/15 at 11:11 am

She still desperately wants love, just not from the rich prince who the Sultan proposes for her.  Merida, on the other hand, is content just doing her everything thing, without the need of companionship in order to feel happy.

I agree, and I too find Frozen overrated even though it's a pretty good film.  It matters a lot, though, for Disney's most progressive films to also be their most successful, and even though Frozen doesn't go as far as having non-pretty/white princesses or making Elsa explicitly gay, it's at least a step in the right direction.

There's a huge difference, though, between a Middle Eastern Disney Princess and an African American one, especially considering Tiana lives in the Jim Crow-era South.  Aladdin came out a year after the Gulf War, but almost a decade before 9/11, and up until the latter point, Middle Eastern Americans were often treated as basically white in the same way Jewish Americans were considered white (they're still considered a white sub-ethnicity by the U.S. Census).  Also, Aladdin takes place in a sort of modernized version of medieval Arabia, so the sociopolitical context isn't as controversial as if she was living in war-torn Iraq.  The Princess and the Frog takes place less than a century before the film came out, and in an area with a deep history of slavery, which continues to haunt it even to this day.  From an American perspective, at least, it was much bolder to create a strong, ethical female lead in a context bound to extreme controversy than it was to create a Census-defined white princess inspired by the classic 1001 Arabian Nights novel, which had been popular for nearly three centuries leading up to the movie.

Just because they are considered white by the U.S. Census, doesn't mean the American public sees them as such. Also, I don't think movie viewers were considering the sociopolitical context of either films. They just go want to see the next Disney movie. And while it is true that The Princess and the Frog takes place during the Jim Crow era, in a place that has a deep history of slavery, it doesn't really play a major element in the story from what I remember.

I agree with Merida though. However, I don't think it is enough to save the film. And I think quite a few people would agree. Compared to other Pixar films, this one wasn't as successful (in terms of critical success). I mean it still made money, and the reviews were pretty good. But compared movies like Up or Wall-E (Toy Story is an obvious success), it isn't as critically acclaimed. People just seemed to like it okay. It depends on what you mean by "progressive elements", however, in this case, it didn't seem to make the film any better.

Anyway, I do think you bring up some good points, even though I don't completely agree.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/12/15 at 10:16 pm

Disney is doing a good job this decade. Probably better than the stuff I grew up.

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/13/15 at 1:58 pm

Disney is doing a good job this decade. Probably better than the stuff I grew up.

It would be better if they would bring back hand-drawn animation. We'll probably have to wait till the 2020s before Disney makes another hand drawn film.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/14/15 at 6:50 am

Just because they are considered white by the U.S. Census, doesn't mean the American public sees them as such. Also, I don't think movie viewers were considering the sociopolitical context of either films. They just go want to see the next Disney movie. And while it is true that The Princess and the Frog takes place during the Jim Crow era, in a place that has a deep history of slavery, it doesn't really play a major element in the story from what I remember.

It's not a huge part of the plot, but to start, it's a big enough deal that Tiana's family is poor and working class, whereas her white best friend Lottie is ultra-wealthy.  While I think most people can agree that interracial friendships are a wonderful thing to promote to young children, implausible as such a situation would be in 1920s Dixie, the particular application of this in The Princess and the Frog perpetuates a lot of notions that much of the African American is uncomfortable with.  In particular, it's telling that, even as a Disney Princess, Tiana lives in financial hardship until all of her white friends help her save the day, including Prince Naveen (whatever he is, French, Indian, or otherwise, he's certainly not black).  In fact, Tiana is technically not even a princess at all until she ends up with Naveen; Lottie, the white side character, on the other hand, is.  Tiana also spends a vast chunk of the film as a frog instead of her real body and does not have any implicitly black friends aside from the Louis Armstrong-inspired alligator and voodoo priestess Mama Odie (who perpetuates the old stereotype in the black community of believing in voodoo).  The villain, Dr. Faciler, meanwhile, is identifiably black.  Although Tiana herself is a strong, respectable female lead and the film itself at least points to the possibility of friendship between blacks and other races, it still places the black lead character in a submissive role to white people without really establishing credibility in the African American community as a whole, almost as if Disney was treating her as the exception to African Americans (like the affirmative action college student) when they were otherwise too reluctant to portray them in a completely positive light.

On the flip side, Princess Jasmine not only lives in a completely different land during a time period too irrelevant to matter, she lives in a lavish palace from the beginning.  In fact, Middle Eastern Americans are known frequently to be extremely wealthy, anyway, and a lot of them are actually Christians.  They don't share the same history in the United States as the marginalized working class living under white supremacy.  There are a lot of cultural differences, which traditional American media tends to portray poorly (in this case, the violent market salespeople and soldiers with curved swords), but the film doesn't have nearly the same sociopolitical context, progressive or controversial, as The Princess and the Frog did.  The latter film at least took the ambitious liberty of making the lead character admirable and respected in a historical context that, considering her friendship with an influential white family's daughter, would have otherwise eaten her alive.  Aladdin, on the other hand, pretty much just perpetuates all of the same notions that Americans have always had of Middle Easterners without really breaking any boundaries aside from featuring a non-Eurocaucasian Disney Princess.

Written By: Toon on 12/25/15 at 12:21 pm

I'm a bit late to reply (but I didn't want to make another thread for the the same topic). So far the 2010s seems like my favorite Disney era (known either as the "Neo Renaissance" or the "Revival era") as all of their latest movies from 2009 onward ends up on my top favorite Disney movies list. As much as I like the Renaissance (1990s) I can only name 1 movie from that era to be in my top favorite which is Aladdin. Although I still really the Golden Age of the 1930s-1950s on the same bar as the Revival age. Some are upset that the movies are CG, but I actually like CG movies (but then again a few more hand drawn stuff would be nice)as movies like Wreck it Ralph and Big Hero 6 were fantastic in terms of visuals. As of now I can't wait for Zootopia to come out.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/25/15 at 1:18 pm

I'm a bit late to reply (but I didn't want to make another thread for the the same topic). So far the 2010s seems like my favorite Disney era (known either as the "Neo Renaissance" or the "Revival era") as all of their latest movies from 2009 onward ends up on my top favorite Disney movies list. As much as I like the Renaissance (1990s) I can only name 1 movie from that era to be in my top favorite which is Aladdin. Although I still really the Golden Age of the 1930s-1950s on the same bar as the Revival age. Some are upset that the movies are CG, but I actually like CG movies (but then again a few more hand drawn stuff would be nice)as movies like Wreck it Ralph and Big Hero 6 were fantastic in terms of visuals. As of now I can't wait for Zootopia to come out.

Thanks for answering. Yeah I don't necessarily have a favorite era for Disney, however I do love the Neo Renaissance era we're in now. This era is God send compared to the era of Disney films 10 years ago (remember Chicken Little? Yeah let's try not to go there  ;D)

Zootopia looks ok, but idk it seems a bit too generic for my taste I guess. We'll just have to wait and see. However I'm looking forward to Moana, that looks pretty badass

Written By: Toon on 12/25/15 at 2:16 pm

Thanks for answering. Yeah I don't necessarily have a favorite era for Disney, however I do love the Neo Renaissance era we're in now. This era is God send compared to the era of Disney films 10 years ago (remember Chicken Little? Yeah let's try not to go there  ;D)

Zootopia looks ok, but idk it seems a bit too generic for my taste I guess. We'll just have to wait and see. However I'm looking forward to Moana, that looks pretty badass

Princess and the Frog, Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, and Tangled are all great movies that hold up far better than the Post-Renaissance Disney (2000-2008). But I will admit that Treasure Planet and Lilo & Stitch are movies that I really liked.  Zootopia seems to have peaked interested in people due to it being a furry movie. Who knows if Zootopia becomes a hit (which we know it will) we may end up seeing more Disney movies starring anthropomorphic animals from Disney and other companies. The movie looks interesting, but I'm mostly excited for the movie mostly just because I'm a big Disney fan who goes to see every Disney movie on day 1 of release (been doing this since 2008). Moana also looks really good. Looks to be another interesting take on the princess formula. I'm also kinda curious on how long the Revival Age of Disney will be.

What I find to be funny is how history is somewhat repeating itself. Take this image for example.
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141124023338/disney/images/8/80/Paint_program_logos_of_disney_renaissance_revival_by_espioartwork_102-d8359zr.jpg

Another thing is how both Renaissance and Revival eras began at the end of the decades they started in (Renaissance in 1989 and Revival in 2009). If everything were to repeat exactly then that means the Revival age would end in 2019 like how the Renaissance ended in 1999. This is all just me talking nonsense, but it would be very interesting if things were to repeat exactly.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/25/15 at 2:40 pm

Princess and the Frog, Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, and Tangled are all great movies that hold up far better than the Post-Renaissance Disney (2000-2008). But I will admit that Treasure Planet and Lilo & Stitch are movies that I really liked.  Zootopia seems to have peaked interested in people due to it being a furry movie. Who knows if Zootopia becomes a hit (which we know it will) we may end up seeing more Disney movies starring anthropomorphic animals from Disney and other companies. The movie looks interesting, but I'm mostly excited for the movie mostly just because I'm a big Disney fan who goes to see every Disney movie on day 1 of release (been doing this since 2008). Moana also looks really good. Looks to be another interesting take on the princess formula. I'm also kinda curious on how long the Revival Age of Disney will be.

What I find to be funny is how history is somewhat repeating itself. Take this image for example.
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141124023338/disney/images/8/80/Paint_program_logos_of_disney_renaissance_revival_by_espioartwork_102-d8359zr.jpg

Another thing is how both Renaissance and Revival eras began at the end of the decades they started in (Renaissance in 1989 and Revival in 2009). If everything were to repeat exactly then that means the Revival age would end in 2019 like how the Renaissance ended in 1999. This is all just me talking nonsense, but it would be very interesting if things were to repeat exactly.

Yeah it's all playing out very similarly. Yeah we don't know, it could end sometime around 2019

Written By: mqg96 on 12/25/15 at 4:02 pm

After so much thought, when I come to think of how great the Disney movies have been over the last almost 30 years. It really goes like this for me.

CGI Disney movies (modern) >>> Pixar movies >>> Disney Reniassance

Written By: #Infinity on 12/25/15 at 4:55 pm

I guess we can expect the rest of the Renaissance to play out as follows:

Pocahontas/Zootopia - The one with mediocre reviews
The Hunchback of Notre Dame/Moana - The mature cult classic
Hercules/Gigantic - The edgy epic that features settings above the clouds
Mulan/Frozen 2 - The girl power late classic
Tarzan/Unknown 2019 film - The one with overdubbed pop songs instead of broadway musical numbers

Written By: Toon on 12/25/15 at 5:37 pm

I guess we can expect the rest of the Renaissance to play out as follows:

Pocahontas/Zootopia - The one with mediocre reviews
The Hunchback of Notre Dame/Moana - The mature cult classic
Hercules/Gigantic - The edgy epic that features settings above the clouds
Mulan/Frozen 2 - The girl power late classic
Tarzan/Unknown 2019 film - The one with overdubbed pop songs instead of broadway musical numbers

What's scary is that you could be pretty accurate. The 3 first seem as if they would actually have the results that you've mentioned. Don't know whether to be amazed or scared  :-\\ :( ;)

After so much thought, when I come to think of how great the Disney movies have been over the last almost 30 years. It really goes like this for me.

CGI Disney movies (modern) >>> Pixar movies >>> Disney Reniassance

For me it's Revival > Pixar > Golden Age > Renaissance > Post-Renaissance > Dark age

Although nowadays people are saying that the golden age of Pixar is gone as it ended back in 2010 with Toy Story 3. The Good Dinosaur was released to "meh" reaction among the critics. The film is good, but not good by Pixar standards apparently.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/25/15 at 7:08 pm

What's scary is that you could be pretty accurate. The 3 first seem as if they would actually have the results that you've mentioned. Don't know whether to be amazed or scared  :-\\ :( ;)

For me it's Revival > Pixar > Golden Age > Renaissance > Post-Renaissance > Dark age

Although nowadays people are saying that the golden age of Pixar is gone as it ended back in 2010 with Toy Story 3. The Good Dinosaur was released to "meh" reaction among the critics. The film is good, but not good by Pixar standards apparently.

My favs

1. 90's Renaissance

2. 00's Pixar Golden Age

3. 10's Revival

4. late 40's/50's Golden Age

5. Early-Mid 60's Silver Age

My Least Favs

1. 80's Dark Age

2. 00's Post Renaissance

3. 10's Post Pixar Golden Age

4. Late 60's/70's Bronze Age

5. Early 40's Silver Age

Written By: #Infinity on 12/25/15 at 7:45 pm

I'd rank the Pixar and Disney eras as such:

1. Pixar Golden Age (1995-2010)
2. Disney Renaissance (1989-1999)
3. Second Disney Renaissance (2009-present)
4. Disney Golden Age (1937-1942)
5. Disney Silver Age (1950-1967)
6. Pixar Post-Golden Age (2011-present)
7. Disney Dark Age (1970-1988)
8. Disney Rationing Age (1943-1949)
9. Disney Post-Renaissance (1999-2008)

Check for new replies or respond here...