inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Alien/Predator News

Written By: Ripley on 11/17/15 at 9:12 am

"Today Fox Studios, cemented their intentions to identify the Prometheus sequel, as an Alien prequel. The follow-up will be titled Alien: Covenant. In addition, they released the first official synopsis for the upcoming sequel." 

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3645152?lt_source=external,manual

Finally, a proper connection in the franchise.  With this one, Covenant and a second prequel taking place years before Alien.  Now how will the next Sigourney film be put in?  It will take place between Aliens and Alien 3.  While not erasing the existence of the later and Resurrection. So there are people who would naturally want a sequel to the final film.  But it had a good end so its better this way.  I want to see what happened up there and why she ended up where she did.

Its obvious that I'm a huge fan of the films.  So rather than continuing with the other topics I've started on the subject I've decided to create a new topic.  One which I will be regularly posting about news to do with the franchise.  So that way fellow fans will have a place to talk about the franchise. 

I've done some research and here is a timeline I came up with for each film in the franchise.  I've also included the Predator films as they're connected:
Prometheus
Alien: Covenant
Alien Vs. Predator
Predator
Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem
Predator 2
Alien Prequel
Alien
Aliens
Untitled Alien Sequel
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection

Subject: Re: Alien Franchise

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/17/15 at 9:29 am

"Today Fox Studios, cemented their intentions to identify the Prometheus sequel, as an Alien prequel. The follow-up will be titled Alien: Covenant. In addition, they released the first official synopsis for the upcoming sequel." 

Finally, a proper connection in the franchise.  With this one, Covenant and a second prequel taking place years before Alien.  Now how will the next Sigourney film be put in?  It will take place between Aliens and Alien 3.  While not erasing the existence of the later and Resurrection. So there are people who would naturally want a sequel to the final film.  But it had a good end so its better this way.  I want to see what happened up there and why she ended up where she did.

Its obvious that I'm a huge fan of the films.  So rather than continuing with the other topics I've started on the subject I've decided to create a new topic.  One which I will be regularly posting about news to do with the franchise.  So that way fellow fans will have a place to talk about the franchise. 

I've done some research and here is a timeline I came up with for each film in the franchise.  I've also included the Predator films as they're connected:
Prometheus
Alien Vs. Predator
Predator
Predator 2
Alien Prequel
Alien
Aliens
Untitled Alien Sequel
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection

Exciting news,judging by your user name, I can tell you're a big fan!!

Written By: Ripley on 11/17/15 at 9:39 am

Exciting news,judging by your user name, I can tell you're a big fan!!

Yes I have been for several years!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 11/17/15 at 12:30 pm

Yes I have been for several years!

What's you favorite film? Mine's Aliens.

Written By: snozberries on 11/17/15 at 4:06 pm

Prometheus
Alien Vs. Predator
Predator
Predator 2
Alien Prequel
Alien
Aliens
Untitled Alien Sequel
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection

suddenly I feel the need to watch all these movies (minus the two that haven't been made yet...) in order to see if some of them make more sense (mainly the AVP movies which kinda lost me...

Written By: Ripley on 11/17/15 at 5:55 pm

What's you favorite film? Mine's Aliens.

Mine too!

Written By: Ripley on 11/17/15 at 5:57 pm

suddenly I feel the need to watch all these movies (minus the two that haven't been made yet...) in order to see if some of them make more sense (mainly the AVP movies which kinda lost me...

Have fun! Requiem I didn't care for.

Written By: snozberries on 11/17/15 at 8:17 pm

Have fun! Requiem I didn't care for.

It's one of the few I haven't seen.  I hated Prometheus but I'll suffer through it again at least once. .

Written By: 80sfan on 11/17/15 at 9:02 pm

I think Ive found a new series to wrap my teeth around!  :)

Ive never seen the movie, or the movie series.

Written By: Ripley on 11/18/15 at 8:03 am

I think Ive found a new series to wrap my teeth around!  :)

Ive never seen the movie, or the movie series.

8)

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/15 at 9:34 pm

Prometheus upsets me.  I love the Alien franchise a lot, but I hated Prometheus, but the fact it is connected, I have to have it in my collection.  I thought it was dull and boring to the point where I actually fell asleep watching it

I even gave it a second chance, and I still did not like it :(

Written By: snozberries on 11/22/15 at 10:33 pm

Prometheus upsets me.  I love the Alien franchise a lot, but I hated Prometheus, but the fact it is connected, I have to have it in my collection.  I thought it was dull and boring to the point where I actually fell asleep watching it

I even gave it a second chance, and I still did not like it :(

think of how I felt. I shelled out a lot of money to watch that cheap in 3D

Such a waste. Most of the 3D was the depth of the landscape out outside the windows and the occasional (yet rare) something flying in your face.  ::)

Written By: Ripley on 11/27/15 at 7:50 pm

It has been announced that there are actually going to be two more prequals to Alien not one, following Covenent. So I'm going to rewrite my list with directors and released years. And then I'm going to try and come up with timeline years from what I know. This is all so exciting but so much to be anxious about.

Written By: Ripley on 11/27/15 at 7:51 pm

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3658412?utm_source=fb-channel-horror&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=alien-convenant-will-link-to-alien-at-some-point&lt_source=external,manual

Written By: Ripley on 11/27/15 at 10:34 pm

Prometheus
Alien Prequel 3
Alien Vs. Predator
Predator
Predator 2
Alien Prequel 4
Alien
Aliens
Aliens Sequel
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/27/15 at 10:43 pm

Prometheus
Alien Prequel 3
Alien Vs. Predator
Predator
Predator 2
Alien Prequel 4
Alien
Aliens
Untitled Aliens Sequel
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection

Did not realize there were that many films.  ???

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/15 at 12:10 am

Prometheus
Alien Prequel 3
Alien Vs. Predator
Predator
Predator 2
Alien Prequel 4
Alien
Aliens
Untitled Aliens Sequel
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ones I made orange are the ones that haven't been released yet?

It's easier to follow the list once I know when all the movies are released.

Written By: Ripley on 11/28/15 at 7:35 am

That's right!  I'm going to post two lists.  One with the released years and the other with a timeline.  Some might be wondering about Predators.  If so, that is simply a remake of Predator.  Not the same premise but its it's own film.  There are also plenty of video games and novels for Alien vs. Predator so don't be shocked if they make some prequels/sequels to those two films.  Another thing I should add is that the film between Aliens and Alien 3 is in some places still titled Alien 5.  That being only that it is the 5th Alien film and it is still slated to be released before Alien: Covenant.  But I'm just calling it the Aliens sequel, for now anyway.  I know this all seems confusing but I'll do the best I can not to confuse you all!  The time frame for releases is easy compared to the actual timeline.  But I will try and put something more detailed together, as opposed to just the list I already made. I will also be color coding them as well.

Alien
Ridley Scott

Aliens
James Cameron

Predator
John McTiernan

Predator 2
Stephen Hopkins

Alien 3
David Fincher

Alien Resurrection
Jean-Pierre Jeunet

Alien vs. Predator

Paul W.S. Anderson

Alien vs. Predator: Requiem
Greg Strause & Colin Strause

Prometheus
Ridley Scott

Aliens Sequel
2016/2017
Neill Blomkamp

Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2)
Ridley Scott

Alien Prequel 3 (Prometheus 3)
Ridley Scott

Alien Prequel 4 (Prometheus 4)
Ridley Scott

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/15 at 12:28 pm

The only thing that bugs about Prometheus (besides the fact it sucked and Ridley Scott directed it so I expected better) is.....

The space station/ship thing they were on was decorated like the ship they discovered in alien...no? It had been a long time since I'd seen alien but I thought the rec room decor was identical...just dusty in alien and new in Prometheus.

That doesn't seem to leave a lot of time
Between Prometheus and alien for all the prequels/Prometheus sequels.

Maybe I need to rewatch (ugh) Prometheus and (yay) alien again.... I've seen Aiken a handful
of times but I don't think hink I've seen it since the early 00s.

Written By: Ripley on 11/28/15 at 4:48 pm

Weyland made several replicas of their ships. But Mr Scott was reimaging his own ideas

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/15 at 5:07 pm

Weiland made several replicas of their ships. But Mr Scott was reimaging his own ideas

I was thinking about the decor in the rec room the Christmas tree and the record player (I think there was a record player) maybe the cans.

Written By: Ripley on 11/29/15 at 7:43 am

Here is something Scott said about the ships. 
The two ships in Alien and Prometheus are different. According to Scott, the derelict spaceship seen in Alien was similar to the one shown in Prometheus, but was in fact a "brother," not the same ship. He suggests that the ship originated from LV-223, carrying dangerous cargo and landed on LV-426 more than a millennium before the events in both movies.

This suggests that the xenomorph infestation on LV-426 originated from the facility on LV-223 and that the events shown in the holographic footage in Prometheus may be related to how the (then known as) "space jockey" Engineer died. It is unknown whether the ship on LV-426 carried eggs that hatched and infected the Engineer(s) or if it was carrying the containers with the black substance shown in Prometheus.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/prometheus/Connections_With_Alien
This article talks more about the connections of the films.  So there are about 28 years between the two.  So that's 28 years for the three additional prequels to take place. I think he just really liked his old design and wanted something similar. 

Written By: snozberries on 11/29/15 at 11:16 am

Here is something Scott said about the ships. 
The two ships in Alien and Prometheus are different. According to Scott, the derelict spaceship seen in Alien was similar to the one shown in Prometheus, but was in fact a "brother," not the same ship. He suggests that the ship originated from LV-223, carrying dangerous cargo and landed on LV-426 more than a millennium before the events in both movies.

This suggests that the xenomorph infestation on LV-426 originated from the facility on LV-223 and that the events shown in the holographic footage in Prometheus may be related to how the (then known as) "space jockey" Engineer died. It is unknown whether the ship on LV-426 carried eggs that hatched and infected the Engineer(s) or if it was carrying the containers with the black substance shown in Prometheus.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/prometheus/Connections_With_Alien
This article talks more about the connections of the films.  So there are about 28 years between the two.  So that's 28 years for the three additional prequels to take place. I think he just really liked his old design and wanted something similar.

I'm gonna have to watch again in my mind they read as identical but it had been years since I'd seen alien when I watched Prometheus so I could've remembered it wrong. If they are different tho that's really disappointing because it was the only thing I liked about the movie.

Written By: Ripley on 12/31/15 at 4:56 pm

More news!

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3374858/alien-covenant-takes-place-10-years-after-prometheus

Written By: Ripley on 02/01/16 at 4:59 pm

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3763648?utm_source=fb-channel-horror&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=noomi-says-fudge-off-to-alien-covenant
Prometheus star not returning for Alien prequal. She was just going to be in a smaller role though. Originally they were going to continue right where it left. With her and David going to find the other engineers. But that was nixed for a 10 years into the future story. I do hope David has a bigger role than she was going to have.

Written By: Ripley on 02/16/16 at 8:17 pm

A Predator sequal is in the works.  Where does it fit in the timeline? I'm not sure yet.  I don't have enough details.  But I have a feeling it takes place around the time of Alien 3. 
http://moviepilot.com/posts/3785153?utm_source=fb-channel-horror&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=this-new-predator-image-could-be-the-start-of-something-big

Written By: Ripley on 02/16/16 at 8:20 pm

I've decided to change the title of this thread to Alien/Predator News.  Since they do have connections I will be talking about both here. 

Check for new replies or respond here...