inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Things that define 2015

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/01/15 at 7:46 am

Well, it's December again and once again it is time to share your thoughts about the trends that shape 2015. I'll start with a few:

-The Paris ISIS attacks
-Renewed tensions with Turkey/Russia
-AirAsia QZ8501
-Record El Nino
-Baltimore riots and domestic violence
-New Horizons Pluto flyby
-Star Wars: The Force Awakens
-One Direction breakup
-Adele's peak
-Inside Out
-Jurassic World
-Straight Outta Compton
-Avengers: The Age of Ultrom
-Apocalypse Now
-Arrow
-Daredevil
-Naros
-The Walking Dead
-Windows 10

For those who like to keep track of the decade so far:
2010: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=40897.0
2011: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=45074.0
2012: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=47521.0
2013: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=49305.0
2014: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=50926.0

Sadly, this indicate that the boards' activity is in slow decline...

Subject: Re: Things that define 2015

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/15 at 8:48 am

Well, it's December again and once again it is time to share your thoughts about the trends that shape 2015. I'll start with a few:

-The Paris ISIS attacks
-Renewed tensions with Turkey/Russia
-AirAsia QZ8501
-Record El Nino
-Baltimore riots and domestic violence
-New Horizons Pluto flyby
-Star Wars: The Force Awakens
-One Direction breakup
-Adele's peak
-Inside Out
-Jurassic World
-Straight Outta Compton
-Avengers: The Age of Ultrom
-Apocalypse Now
-Arrow
-Daredevil
-Naros
-The Walking Dead
-Windows 10

For those who like to keep track of the decade so far:
2010: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=40897.0
2011: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=45074.0
2012: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=47521.0
2013: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=49305.0
2014: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=50926.0

Sadly, this indicate that the boards' activity is in slow decline...
"Apocalypse Now" was released in 1979, not this year.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/01/15 at 11:41 am

I would say the social political polarization and everyone being offended by everything.  It's been neverending this year.  And...Ariana Grande.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/01/15 at 12:55 pm

I would say the social political polarization and everyone being offended by everything.  It's been neverending this year.  And...Ariana Grande.

Yeah, this has been an awful year pop culturally and worldly with all the sensitivity going and the ISIS situations, with the exception of maybe some movies like Jurassic World, Avengers Age of Ultron, or Hunger Games Mocking Jay. But even I consider 2012 & 2013 as better years for the movie industry personally. I do believe 2016 will be a huge improvement though.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/01/15 at 1:54 pm

- Marty!  You've gotta come back with me!
- The Weeknd
- Uptown Funk!
- Peak of New Taylor Swift
- Paris Bombing
- Oregon Shooting
- End of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Late Show with David Letterman
- Donald Trump
- Jurassic World
- Inside Out
- Peak of the Minions craze
- Hype for Star Wars Episode VII:  The Force Awakens
- Same-sex marriage is legalized in all 50 states
- Bruce Jenner comes out as Caitlyn Jenner
- Technology evolving at a snail's pace
- Straight Outta Compton the movie
- Possibly the worst year in gaming history (lack of quality titles for all three platforms, especially the Wii U; death of Satoru Iwata)
- European migrant crisis
- Iran Nuclear Deal
- Diplomatic relations between the United States and Cuba are opened for the first time in over half a century
- Mariah Carey coins '#Infinity' in promotion for her latest single (keep in mind I've already had my username for over a decade on other websites).

Written By: Howard on 12/01/15 at 2:43 pm

Bill Cosby
Bruce Jenner transforming into Kaitlyn
Paris Attacks
Donald Trump

Written By: mqg96 on 12/01/15 at 4:03 pm

Bill Cosby

Too brief if you just simply put "Bill Cosby". You gotta be more specific than that otherwise I'm thinking you just listed an 80's cultural icon.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/01/15 at 6:28 pm

Too brief if you just simply put "Bill Cosby". You gotta be more specific than that otherwise I'm thinking you just listed an 80's cultural icon.

Bro, you know what he did! ::) ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/01/15 at 6:29 pm

- The Weeknd
- Uptown Funk!
- Paris Bombing
- Oregon Shooting
- Donald Trump
- Jurassic World
- Inside Out
- Possibly the worst year in gaming history (lack of quality titles for all three platforms, especially the Wii U; death of Satoru Iwata)
- Iran Nuclear Deal
- Diplomatic relations between the United States and Cuba are opened for the first time in over half a century
- Mariah Carey coins '#Infinity' in promotion for her latest single (keep in mind I've already had my username for over a decade on other websites).

Great summary, although 2014 was probably worse than this!

Written By: #Infinity on 12/01/15 at 6:38 pm

2014 at least had Super Smash Bros. 4 and Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, not to mention Satoru Iwata didn't die.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/01/15 at 6:49 pm

2014 at least had Super Smash Bros. 4 and Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, not to mention Satoru Iwata didn't die.

Yeah, but if you take away the Wii U games, that was probably THE worst year of gaming I EVER saw. This year we got Batman Arkham Knight WWE 2K16, DBZ Xenoverse, Halo 5,Assassin's Creed was good again thanks to syndicate!,Fallout 4,Mortal Kombat X, Bloodborne,MGS Phantom Pain,Super Mario Maker,etc.
But yeah, if you're a Nintendo fan then I can see why someone would think that. ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 12/01/15 at 6:53 pm

Yeah, but if you take away the Wii U games, that was probably THE worst year of gaming I EVER saw. This year we got Batman Arkham Knight WWE 2K16, DBZ Xenoverse, Halo 5,Assassin's Creed was good again thanks to syndicate!,Fallout 4,Mortal Kombat X, Bloodborne,MGS Phantom Pain,Super Mario Gamer,etc.
But yeah, if you're a Nintendo fan then I can see why someone would think that. ;D

You mean Super Mario Maker? and we have Call of Duty: Black Ops III this year too. When it comes to Nintendo I would definitely have to pick 2015 as the worst year, but if it wasn't for Satoru Iwata's death maybe I would have picked 2014 then. For the other companies I agree that 2014 was not pleasing at all.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/01/15 at 6:56 pm

Yeah LOL!

Written By: #Infinity on 12/01/15 at 7:08 pm

You mean Super Mario Maker? and we have Call of Duty: Black Ops III this year too. When it comes to Nintendo I would definitely have to pick 2015 as the worst year, but if it wasn't for Satoru Iwata's death maybe I would have picked 2014 then. For the other companies I agree that 2014 was not pleasing at all.

All of the popular XBOX One and PS4 titles blend together for me.  I certainly wouldn't personally list Call of Duty:  Black Ops III as a reason to defend 2015 in gaming, even if it pleased what is now the industry's core audience.  All of these "interactive movies" with the same tired FPS format are getting so old.  I really don't want to imagine a post-Atari console war without Nintendo, but we may see such a thing sooner than expected.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/01/15 at 7:22 pm

Yes, that was a mistake! Fixed it!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/01/15 at 7:29 pm

All of the popular XBOX One and PS4 titles blend together for me.  I certainly wouldn't personally list Call of Duty:  Black Ops III as a reason to defend 2015 in gaming, even if it pleased what is now the industry's core audience.  All of these "interactive movies" with the same tired FPS format are getting so old.  I really don't want to imagine a post-Atari console war without Nintendo, but we may see such a thing sooner than expected.

I'm probably going to make a topic about this soon!

Written By: Howard on 12/02/15 at 4:16 pm

Why do I have to put it in quotes?  ::)

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/16/15 at 8:48 am

Google Trends has a function that lists using a certain methodology that covers the top 10 defining events of the year. Overall, there are some of names/trends that I slept through that may warrant a second look.
https://www.google.com/trends/topcharts#date=2015&geo=US

It does a similar method dating back to 2004 for those who have been in a cave in the past dozen years, with some categories changing over the years. Plus, telling your friend that your favorite actresses are Lindsay Lohan, Hillary Duff, and Ashlee Simpson is as good of a way of dating your self now as was liking Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, and Michelle Pfeiffer then.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/16/15 at 4:07 pm

- The Weeknd
- Uptown Funk!
- Paris Bombing
- Oregon Shooting
- Donald Trump
- Jurassic World
- Inside Out
- Iran Nuclear Deal

Isn't that more nostalgic rather than an iconic thing this year? I mean, people have been sheeshting their pants waiting for 2015 to happen for 26 years. That's like saying James Gandolfini's death was an iconic thing for 2013 and people watched The Sopranos in honor of him. I'm just saying that because it seems unnecessary for people to think about that.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/16/15 at 9:45 pm

Isn't that more nostalgic rather than an iconic thing this year? I mean, people have been sheeshting their pants waiting for 2015 to happen for 26 years. That's like saying James Gandolfini's death was an iconic thing for 2013 and people watched The Sopranos in honor of him. I'm just saying that because it seems unnecessary for people to think about that.

There wasn't an actual Back to the Future Day, however, until this year, and several events occurred around October 21st to commemorate the milestone date, including a special on Jimmy Kimmel, YouTube videos such as those from CollegeHumor and Honest Trailers, memes comparing Donald Trump to Biff Tannen in the alternate 1985 from Back to the Future Part II, a 30th anniversary rerelease of the Back to the Future trilogy, and more pressure than ever before to finally invent a real hoverboard.  Back to the Future Day may be commemorating a piece of popular culture from the past, but the event itself is definitely a definitive part of the year 2015.  If we were going by your logic, then we could practically say that Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens and its record-breakingly huge promotional campaign is all nothing but an homage to 1977.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/16/15 at 10:01 pm

There wasn't an actual Back to the Future Day, however, until this year, and several events occurred around October 21st to commemorate the milestone date, including a special on Jimmy Kimmel, YouTube videos such as those from CollegeHumor and Honest Trailers, memes comparing Donald Trump to Biff Tannen in the alternate 1985 from Back to the Future Part II, a 30th anniversary rerelease of the Back to the Future trilogy, and more pressure than ever before to finally invent a real hoverboard.  Back to the Future Day may be commemorating a piece of popular culture from the past, but the event itself is definitely a definitive part of the year 2015.  If we were going by your logic, then we could practically say that Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens and its record-breakingly huge promotional campaign is all nothing but an homage to 1977.

Or 1980, 1983, 1999, 2002 and 2005. But it's just that people really thought all the stuff from Back to the Future Part 2 would actually exist, and it's not like they expected it as soon as New Year's Day 2015 happened. Even though we have prototypes with hoverboards and self-tying shoes.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/16/15 at 10:51 pm

I'll never forget this moment in 2015.

http://images.en.yibada.com/data/images/full/21730/the-controversial-blue-black-or-white-gold-dress.jpg?w=685

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/17/15 at 6:00 am

http://images.en.yibada.com/data/images/full/21730/the-controversial-blue-black-or-white-gold-dress.jpg?w=685

I'm just curious, but which color did you initially see?

I initially say White & Gold, but then the next day when my friend showed me the picture to see what my opinion on it was I all of sudden now saw Blue & Black  :o

Written By: mqg96 on 12/17/15 at 8:47 am

I'm just curious, but which color did you initially see?

I initially say White & Gold, but then the next day when my friend showed me the picture to see what my opinion on it was I all of sudden now saw Blue & Black  :o

I saw White & Gold on twitter first. Then an hour later I saw the exact same picture on a news report on TV and it ended up being Black & Blue for some reason. Same goes for a woman who actually put the dress on, her colors were confusing me as well. :o

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/17/15 at 9:25 am

I saw White & Gold on twitter first. Then an hour later I saw the exact same picture on a news report on TV and it ended up being Black & Blue for some reason. Same goes for a woman who actually put the dress on, her colors were confusing me as well. :o

Lol I guess we must be colorblind  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/17/15 at 3:31 pm

this was a silly discussion. ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/18/15 at 6:09 pm

...and the Cubs almost went to the World Series  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/22/15 at 6:02 pm

The word political correctness was thrown around a lot this year, especially on blogs, forums, comments sections, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, TV, etc, etc.

Whether right or wrong, or used in a right or wrong way, the word is a big deal this year.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/15 at 7:29 am

Caitlyn Jenner
Ariana Grande
Kardashians
Miley Cyrus

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/25/15 at 12:14 pm

Star Wars Episode VII

Or is that a bit too late?

Written By: bchris02 on 12/25/15 at 1:19 pm

Like her or not, Caitlyn Jenner is person of the year. Donald Trump a close second.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/25/15 at 5:06 pm

Star Wars Episode VII

Certainly not if you include the hype and promotional buildup to the film, in addition to the box office records it broke while it has still been 2015.

Like her or not, Caitlyn Jenner is person of the year. Donald Trump a close second.

Maybe in June, yes, but otherwise it seems like Donald Trump has clearly been all the buzz for a longer and more consistent period this year.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/15 at 5:57 pm

Star Wars Episode VII

I guess you would call it a definition of 2015.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/15 at 5:58 pm

and who would be third?

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/26/15 at 8:55 am

Star Wars Episode VII

With movies, unlike music, are associated with the year of the release date even if it's in December. Titanic, Avatar, and Home Alone are a few examples. This is because the opening weekend is the most important cultural point for a movie, while with music it is how long it stays on the charts so that is why songs released in the later part of the year are associated with the following year's culture (ex: Lady Gaga, Gwen Stefani, Bobby Brown).

Written By: ArcticFox on 12/26/15 at 2:04 pm

With movies, unlike music, are associated with the year of the release date even if it's in December. Titanic, Avatar, and Home Alone are a few examples. This is because the opening weekend is the most important cultural point for a movie, while with music it is how long it stays on the charts so that is why songs released in the later part of the year are associated with the following year's culture (ex: Lady Gaga, Gwen Stefani, Bobby Brown).

Yes, that is true. But there are some exceptions, if a song is already a massive hit by the end then it will be associated with two years as well, such as Lady Gaga.

Written By: Shemp97 on 12/30/15 at 2:24 pm

2014 felt too memetic.

Written By: Howard on 12/30/15 at 3:00 pm

Bill Cosby
The Subway Guy
Paris

Written By: muppethammer26 on 12/31/15 at 1:18 pm

Today, there is a fire going on at a hotel in downtown Dubai.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/12/31/huge-fire-engulfs-hotel-in-downtown-dubai/

Written By: Ripley on 01/04/16 at 10:44 am

People getting easily offended....
Feminists
Non-Feminists
Transexuals
Gays
Different races
Trump supporters
Trump haters

The list goes on... People just wanted something to complain about last year.

Written By: WebTraveller on 01/20/16 at 9:03 am

Virtually all mainstream music was somewhere between bad and unbearable. Not that the rest of the 10's were good, but 2015 was definitely the worst for music.

Written By: energy00 on 01/23/16 at 8:02 pm

http://hoverboardconnect.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/hoverboardfire.gif

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/24/16 at 11:52 am

Virtually all mainstream music was somewhere between bad and unbearable. Not that the rest of the 10's were good, but 2015 was definitely the worst for music.

Definitely bogus. 2012 was the worst year of the decade for music, and it was only poor. 2015 was when music was in its best shape of the 2010s. While artists like Fetty Wap, Sam Hunt, Justin Beiber, and One Direction were annoying, we had plenty of good mainstream hits to make up for it. Alternative music was also really good last year. I think the charts are probably in their best shape in a long time.

Written By: 2001 on 01/24/16 at 12:38 pm

Definitely bogus. 2012 was the worst year of the decade for music, and it was only poor. 2015 was when music was in its best shape of the 2010s. While artists like Fetty Wap, Sam Hunt, Justin Beiber, and One Direction were annoying, we had plenty of good mainstream hits to make up for it. Alternative music was also really good last year. I think the charts are probably in their best shape in a long time.

I agree. My favourite year was actually 2014 and I liked 2012, but I agree overall, the charts are way better now than they used to be. Especially the mid-2000s were awful, I can't believe are nostalgic for the music of that time. Are we talking about Soulja Boy, Crazy Frog and other annoying ringtone songs? It's not even "so bad they're good" status. Even the early 2000s (like 2000, 2001) are pretty bad if we're talking about the charts.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/24/16 at 12:50 pm

I think that describes what most people got for Christmas in 2015.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/16 at 12:56 pm

The year closed with this news.

Russell Crowe slams Virgin Australia over hoverboard ban
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/29/entertainment/russell-crowe-virgin-australia-twitter-rant/

Written By: Howard on 01/24/16 at 1:57 pm

http://www.thewrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/NYD.jpg
for most of 2015

http://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2015_23/1054231/150601-caitlyn-jenner-jsw-1240p_f905633d5cc73c24b5c0da7bc2ade414.nbcnews-fp-1200-800.jpg
Caitlyn Jenner

Check for new replies or respond here...