inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: San Bernardio, California shooting

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/03/15 at 5:03 pm

The violence began around 11 a.m. at the convention building at the Inland Regional Center where employees with the county health department were attending a holiday event. Witnesses said at least two shooters opened fire, killing 14 people.Another 17 people were hurt -- many wounded by bullets from automatic-style rifles, some injured in the panic to escape.The shooters fled in a black SUV, prompting a huge police response in the area.As the hours passed, the hunt for the suspects continued with a tip taking officers to a home about 10 miles away in Redlands. When detectives followed up on it, a black SUV with Utah plates passed by slowly then sped up and raced off, a law enforcement official close to the investigation told CNN. A police car spotted it and took up pursuit.There was a shootout, the official said. The male suspect shot out of the vehicle while the woman drove. The SUV stopped a quarter a mile later, as an officer returned fire. A device that looked like a bomb also flew out of the vehicle, Meredith Davis with the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives told CNN affiliate KCAL/KCBS. The SUV was racing back toward San Bernardino, she said.Residents were stunned to hear the eruption of continuous gunfire. A barrage of bullets riddled the SUV's windshield.A third person who was caught running near the scene was detained, but police aren't sure whether he was connected to either shooting.San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan didn't say how old the suspects were or physically describe them in detail. He told reporters they were armed with assault-style rifles and handguns.A law enforcement official told CNN the rifles were AR-15s or similar style weapons.The man and the woman were dressed in what Burquan said was "assault-style clothing," describing it as "dark, kind of tactical gear."He wouldn't say if he knew if they were related.Hours after the shooting, the Inland Regional Center convention center was still an active scene. The bomb squad was working to determine whether they need to blow up two suspicious devices, one of which appeared to be a pipe bomb.Hours after the shooting, the Inland Regional Center convention center was still an active scene. The bomb squad was working to determine whether they need to blow up two suspicious devices, one of which appeared to be a pipe bomb. In the moments after the initial bloodbath, SWAT teams had scoured the facility, unsure whether the shooters were still there and looking for people hiding from the horror.Marcos Aguilera received a text from his wife who works at the Inland Regional Center."She heard the shots and crying," he said. The situation became confusing when the fire alarm went off."Everyone was confused," he said, relating his wife's account.A SWAT team eventually rescued his wife and two other co-workers. "When she exited the building, she said there were multiple bodies on the floor," Aguilera told CNN.The center's executive director, Lavinia Johnson, told CNN that she believed the county's Department of Public Health was having a holiday party.Johnson said the fire alarm went off in her building, and people began to evacuate but then the order came to stay in place.Later police came and took people out of their offices, marching them into the parking lot with their hands in the air.San Bernardino is a city of just over 200,000 people 60 miles east of Los Angeles.

Subject: Re: San Bernardio, California shooting

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/03/15 at 5:05 pm

All I got to say is God please bless this great nation!! :\'( :\'( :\'(  I'm SICK and TIRED of hearing this type of news, when is this going to end for god's sakes! :o

Written By: nally on 12/03/15 at 5:10 pm

All I got to say is God please bless this great nation!! :\'( :\'( :\'(  I'm SICK and TIRED of hearing this type of news, when is this going to end for god's sakes! :o

I think the same thing. :\'( >:(

Written By: 80sfan on 12/03/15 at 5:34 pm

What a bunch of losers. Killing people because of their....issues.  :-X  :-X

Written By: #Infinity on 12/03/15 at 6:06 pm

The United States' culture indirectly condones gun violence for a variety of reasons, from Second Amendment rights, to paranoia over terrorism, to FPS video games being so many people's form of escapism, to the country's vainly hyper-masculine national identity.  It's unfortunately takes far more than an onslaught of shooting tragedies making national headlines to dismantle the systematic and psychological causes of gun violence in America.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/03/15 at 6:19 pm

We can't blame it on mental illness, obviously. Something else is off. Whatever that 'something else' is.

Written By: Howard on 12/04/15 at 7:27 am

I know, I'm sick and tired of reading of all these tragedies, it seems like it's happening every month now. :(

Written By: Howard on 12/04/15 at 7:29 am

What a bunch of losers. Killing people because of their....issues.  :-X  :-X

It's not right.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/04/15 at 11:29 am

Same here man! I pray to God that 2016 will be a great year, or a much better year I should say. Social media being more out there and sensitive has played a huge roll in these problems as well.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/15 at 12:27 pm

I know, I'm sick and tired of reading of all these tragedies, it seems like it's happening every month now. :(

What do you mean every month? Try every day! So far, there have been 355 mass shootings in the country this year alone. That is more than there is days in the year.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2015/12/mass_shootings.png&w=1484

Cat

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/04/15 at 1:44 pm

I just heard from a news report that the female shooter pledged allegiance to ISIS. Stuff is about to get real

Written By: mqg96 on 12/04/15 at 2:07 pm

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/12/02/us/california-mass-shooting-san-bernardino-1449088093897/california-mass-shooting-san-bernardino-1449088093897-master495-v9.png

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/04/15 at 2:34 pm

We can't blame it on mental illness, obviously. Something else is off. Whatever that 'something else' is.

Same old Muslim crap.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/04/15 at 2:39 pm

Same old Muslim crap.

The religious extremists ones.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/15 at 2:48 pm

Same old Muslim crap.

No, it is not Muslim-it is fundamentalism. It doesn't matter the religion. There are millions of Muslims who do not go around shooting people. And most of these mass shooters were NOT Muslim.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/04/15 at 2:58 pm

What do you mean every month? Try every day! So far, there have been 355 mass shootings in the country this year alone. That is more than there is days in the year.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2015/12/mass_shootings.png&w=1484

Cat

It makes you wonder who will strike next or what will be struck?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/04/15 at 3:30 pm

An update.....
FBI investigating California massacre as 'act of terrorism'
The FBI is investigating this week's massacre in which a married couple killed 14 people in California as an "act of terrorism," an official said on Friday, saying the female shooter had pledged allegiance to a leader of the militant group Islamic State.Tashfeen Malik, 27, a native of Pakistan who lived in Saudi Arabia for more than 20 years, and her U.S.-born husband, Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, were killed in a shootout with police hours after the Wednesday massacre during a holiday party at the Inland Regional Center social services agency in San Bernardino, about 60 miles (100 km) east of Los Angeles. The attack was the deadliest mass shooting the United States has experienced in three years.Malik had pledged allegiance to Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in an online post, David Bowdich, assistant director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Los Angeles office, said at a news conference.That finding could be a "game changer" in the investigation, two U.S. government sources told Reuters. Another source cautioned there was no indication of evidence that Islamic State "even knew" who the shooters were."Based on the information and the facts as we know them, we are now investigating these horrific acts as an act of terrorism," Bowdich said.Asked about a reported Facebook post by Malik on the day of the attack pledging loyalty to Islamic State, Bowdich said, "Yes, there was a pledge of allegiance."Investigators have determined that the Malik and Farook engaged in extensive planning before the attack, he said.Bowdich also said the FBI also was examining crushed cellphones found near the shooting scene and had established that there were "telephonic connections" between the couple and other people of interest in FBI probes.
Read more at Reutershttp://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-shooting-isis-idUSKBN0TN1SR20151204#H1b69tRZPB8E2DOd.99
The couple had two assault-style rifles, two semi-automatic handguns, 6,100 rounds of ammunition and 12 pipe bombs in their home or with them when they were killed, officials said. Bowdich said the couple may have been planning an additional attack, Bowdich said.Farook, born in Illinois to Pakistani immigrant parents, worked as an inspector for the San Bernardino County Department of Environment Health, the agency whose holiday party he and Malik attacked on Wednesday.Investigators are looking into a report that Farook had an argument with a co-worker who denounced the "inherent dangers of Islam" prior to the shooting, a U.S. government source said.While the attack may have been inspired by Islamic State, there is no evidence that it was directed by the militant group, U.S. government sources said. Islamic State, which has seized large parts of Syria and Iraq, took claim for the Nov. 13 attacks in Paris in which gunmen and suicide bombers killed 130.The couple's landlord in the town of Redlands opened their townhouse to media on Friday, leading to a flurry of reporters and camera crews surveying the scene. The landlord later asked media to leave.The FBI's search of the home turned up no evidence to suggest they had been working with any foreign militant group, a U.S. government source said.
Read more at Reutershttp://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-shooting-isis-idUSKBN0TN1SR20151204#H1b69tRZPB8E2DOd.99
This news keeps gettin crazier and crazier

Written By: mqg96 on 12/04/15 at 4:03 pm

Same old Muslim crap.

CAREFUL WITH WHAT YOU SAY!

EDIT: not a muslim btw.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/04/15 at 4:04 pm

No, it is not Muslim-it is fundamentalism. It doesn't matter the religion. There are millions of Muslims who do not go around shooting people. And most of these mass shooters were NOT Muslim.

Cat

This.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/15 at 6:48 pm

CAREFUL WITH WHAT YOU SAY!

EDIT: not a muslim btw.

And even if you were a Muslim, so what?

There is nothing wrong with being a Muslim. There is something wrong with people who gun down others. And there is something wrong with people who think that the two are the same.

Cat

Written By: mqg96 on 12/04/15 at 7:38 pm

There is nothing wrong with being a Muslim. There is something wrong with people who gun down others. And there is something wrong with people who think that the two are the same.

Cat

I have Muslim people on my mom's side of the family who live in New York or out of the country, just to let you know so I take this thing very seriously and your posts too. I grew up as a Christian and always been one, but I'm very aware of the way Muslim folks live. I understand A LOT of people who can be ignorant and say the wrong things about them or other religions. One of my sisters in a 7th grade social studies class had a teacher who blurted out saying something wrong about another religion and someone got upset. This is a lesson I've learned long time ago ma'am.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/05/15 at 1:07 am

Cat

I think you read what he wrote, out of context. Although he didn't write it, what he meant was 'even if I'm not Muslim, I still respect them. I don't have to judge someone just because I am not a Muslim.'

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/05/15 at 11:39 am

I think you read what he wrote, out of context. Although he didn't write it, what he meant was 'even if I'm not Muslim, I still respect them. I don't have to judge someone just because I am not a Muslim.'

I did not read what mqg out of context. My point was that it shouldn't matter whether he is Muslim or not. My beef isn't with him saying he is not a Muslim. My beef is with someone else who posted on this thread who seems to think that being Muslim equals being a mass murderer. My point was the two are not exclusive.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 12/05/15 at 11:58 am

I did not read what mqg out of context. My point was that it shouldn't matter whether he is Muslim or not. My beef isn't with him saying he is not a Muslim. My beef is with someone else who posted on this thread who seems to think that being Muslim equals being a mass murderer. My point was the two are not exclusive.

Cat

Ahh, I see.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...