inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the CD dead?

Written By: bchris02 on 12/11/15 at 1:49 pm

Does anybody still buy/prefer music on CDs or has it gone the way of the cassette and the 8-track?

Subject: Re: Is the CD dead?

Written By: #Infinity on 12/11/15 at 1:53 pm

I still buy CD's because in certain cases, they're cheaper than buying the same albums on iTunes.  Some releases still aren't available on iTunes at all, in which case you have no choice.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/15 at 2:02 pm

HMV are still doing very well selling CDs.

Written By: 2001 on 12/11/15 at 2:04 pm

My 10-year old sister bought Adele's Hello album and Taylor Swift's 1989 album on CD, so clearly somebody is still buying them haha.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/11/15 at 7:58 pm

My 10-year old sister bought Adele's Hello album and Taylor Swift's 1989 album on CD, so clearly somebody is still buying them haha.

You have a 10 year old buying CDs? Wow. I'm a bit surprised seeing that there's a 2010s kid knowing what a CD is.

Written By: musicguy93 on 12/11/15 at 8:59 pm

I still buy CDs and will continue to do so, as long as they're available. I personally like having a physical source of music.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/15 at 7:06 am

Does anybody still buy/prefer music on CDs or has it gone the way of the cassette and the 8-track?

I don't remember the last time I bought a CD, I think it was a couple of years ago.

Written By: karen on 12/12/15 at 12:07 pm

I just bought my husband a CD for Christmas.

My car has a CD player but not a connection for an MP3 player

Written By: KatanaChick on 12/13/15 at 10:15 am

I buy CD's. If they're my favorite songs and bands I'll support them.

Written By: Ripley on 12/13/15 at 11:42 am

I still buy CDs and will continue to do so, as long as they're available. I personally like having a physical source of music.

I feel the same. I'm not a fan of digital iTunes.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/13/15 at 11:51 am

8-track technology is superior if you want to listen to "In a Gadda Da Vida".

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/13/15 at 1:24 pm

To answer the question, I barely use CDs. Despite having a CD player, I don't really play any CD in there.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/13/15 at 1:27 pm

CD sales are waaay down low! Excluding Adele, Taylor Swift, and some others. But it's pretty low as of now.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/15 at 2:23 pm

I feel the same. I'm not a fan of digital iTunes.

I don't remember the last time I bought a CD. ???

Written By: Howard on 12/13/15 at 2:24 pm

To answer the question, I barely use CDs. Despite having a CD player, I don't really play any CD in there.

My CD player died.

Written By: Arrowstone on 12/14/15 at 10:50 am

I think I buy about 8 a year; then first, I have to play them with the cd-player and then afterwards I put the cd on my itunes.

Written By: violet_shy on 12/14/15 at 5:30 pm

I have TOO many CDs!

Written By: Slim95 on 12/14/15 at 8:21 pm

I haven't seen a CD in forever. I have a few stored away in my drawer but yeah it's safe to say the CD is dead.

Written By: Howard on 12/15/15 at 2:37 pm

I have TOO many CDs!

same here I have too many CDs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/15 at 2:38 pm

HMV are still doing very well selling CDs.
Hopefully buying the new Enya album later this week.

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/15/15 at 5:23 pm

My sister is the only person I know who still has CD's besides my mom. The last time I used one was in 2008, which album I added to my iPod.

Written By: musicguy93 on 12/15/15 at 10:52 pm

I haven't seen a CD in forever. I have a few stored away in my drawer but yeah it's safe to say the CD is dead.

From your point of view CDs may be dead. But for people like me, they are very much alive. I personally don't feel comfortable with solely depending on mp3s saved on my computer (leaves too much room for them to be corrupted, and backing up is a bit of a hassle for me), and the choices on streaming services are limited. And I just find the experience of listening to a CD more satisfying than compressed files. Now I just want to make it clear to everyone that I am not trying to disregard those with a differing opinion. So please don't take it the wrong way. If you like mp3s and streaming that's perfectly fine. I'm just sharing my own perspective, and why I feel this way. It's all subjective in the end.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/15/15 at 11:47 pm

From your point of view CDs may be dead. But for people like me, they are very much alive. I personally don't feel comfortable with solely depending on mp3s saved on my computer (leaves too much room for them to be corrupted, and backing up is a bit of a hassle for me), and the choices on streaming services are limited. And I just find the experience of listening to a CD more satisfying than compressed files. Now I just want to make it clear to everyone that I am not trying to disregard those with a differing opinion. So please don't take it the wrong way. If you like mp3s and streaming that's perfectly fine. I'm just sharing my own perspective, and why I feel this way. It's all subjective in the end.

Me, too. iTunes sucks and I'll never touch any of Apple's services. I'll download an album to preview it and if I like it I'll go out and buy the CD or... GASP! The cassette! 

Written By: Howard on 12/16/15 at 2:40 pm

CDs these days are pretty much inexpensive if you buy it from some places.

Written By: whistledog on 12/16/15 at 3:04 pm

If I find an album that I like, I will not pay to download it.  I will purchase the CD.  If I am going to own something, I want a physical copy that can sit on a shelf. 

CDs are still very much alive.  The CD section at HMV is still a big part of the local one I go to, and I often see people browsing and buying CDs, and not just the older generation.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/16/15 at 3:23 pm

CDs are still very much alive.  The CD section at HMV is still a big part of the local one I go to, and I often see people browsing and buying CDs, and not just the older generation.

That's all anecdotes and what you see people do. But going by the numbers, CD sales have been hugely declining ever since the explosion of online sales and Itunes in the mid/late 2000s. Which means they can only be even more dead from now on unless it makes a trendy comeback like Vynyl did. It's fine that you and a number of people still buy CD's, but it still isn't the popular choice when buying music. Which is why I say it is pretty much dead.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/16/15 at 4:00 pm

My CD player died.

I'm sorry about that.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/16/15 at 4:03 pm

I bought a CD once every other month back in the 90s and early 00s.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/15 at 3:33 pm

I'm sorry about that.

I haven't used it in god knows how many years but nowadays when I try to put in a CD, the thing won't open up so it's in another room collecting dust.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/17/15 at 3:36 pm

CDs these days are pretty much inexpensive if you buy it from some places.

Thrift stores usually sell them for a dollar. A steal if you ask me.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/15 at 4:09 pm

Thrift stores usually sell them for a dollar. A steal if you ask me.

or garage sales.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/17/15 at 8:21 pm

or garage sales.

Sometimes people will put 'em up for only 50 cents! Vinyl, too. I love finding a record by a band I know about and it only being a couple cents or a buck.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/15 at 7:28 am

Sometimes people will put 'em up for only 50 cents! Vinyl, too. I love finding a record by a band I know about and it only being a couple cents or a buck.

even if it's used I don't mind.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/18/15 at 9:10 am

even if it's used I don't mind.

Same here. I am just happy to have the psychical product in decent condition with all the sleeves, discs, inserts and booklets.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/15 at 9:12 am

Same here. I am just happy to have the psychical product in decent condition with all the sleeves, discs, inserts and booklets.
That is how it is for me. To have the item in my hands and the music not stored on a computer.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/18/15 at 9:18 am

That is how it is for me. To have the item in my hands and the music not stored on a computer.

Exactly. Music today is losing it's meaning and becoming of a throwaway thing without the psychical product. I love holding a record/CD/tape in my hand and sitting there looking through the artwork and booklet while listening to the music. The artwork is always very important to how I perceive the vibe of the music aside from the songs themselves.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/15 at 9:51 am

Exactly. Music today is losing it's meaning and becoming of a throwaway thing without the psychical product. I love holding a record/CD/tape in my hand and sitting there looking through the artwork and booklet while listening to the music. The artwork is always very important to how I perceive the vibe of the music aside from the songs themselves.
I am 'old hat' when purchasing items, I have to see and feel the product in my first.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/15 at 1:09 pm

same here cause one day these things could become vintage items.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/15 at 1:10 pm

Eventually, if bored with the item, it could be sold on eBay.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/15 at 1:14 pm

and listening to the record on an old Victrola.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/18/15 at 6:11 pm

Eventually, if bored with the item, it could be sold on eBay.

Yeah, collectors are always on eBay looking to buy stuff so it's not hard to sell if you're done with it.

same here cause one day these things could become vintage items.

Just like a lot of the old Punk records that I picked up from the 70's and 80's. They go for some serious cash!

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/15 at 10:53 pm

and listening to the record on an old Victrola.

I wouldn't go that far unless you were listening to music that was made around the same time as the Victrola was popular.

Written By: Shemp97 on 12/30/15 at 2:22 pm

You have a 10 year old buying CDs? Wow. I'm a bit surprised seeing that there's a 2010s kid knowing what a CD is.

If your car was built las late as the '00s, you'd  have a CD player built in.

Check for new replies or respond here...