inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sega Dreamcast 2 (release date 2016)

Written By: the2001 on 12/22/15 at 12:13 pm

Sega is back

http://www.projectdream.co/#

http://thegg.net/hot-news/the-sega-dreamcast-2-project-are-very-much-alive-say-hello-to-project-dream/

Subject: Re: Sega Dreamcast 2 (release date 2016)

Written By: #Infinity on 12/22/15 at 1:14 pm

Wow!  I wonder if this will be a success?  The original Dreamcast has garnered enough of a positive reputation that this idea actually seems plausible, we'll just have to see whether the new concept is a smash with core gamers, as well as whether Sega can secure the third party support they lacked towards the end of their original run.  After the long string of mostly sub-impressive games from the company over the past several years, I'm not fully optimistic about their chances with a new system yet, but with Microsoft struggling this generation and Nintendo also preparing for the ninth generation of gaming with the NX, it will be all the more interesting to see how the late 2010s play out for the gaming industry.

Written By: mqg96 on 12/22/15 at 1:36 pm

I was never really a big fan of Sega or any of the Sonic games growing up. Heck, I think the last Sega system was already discontinued by the time I got into the gaming world anyway. So I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and waste my money on this system unless I hear really positive reviews about it. The big question is, will Sega's comeback bring the gaming industry back in the right direction again, or is it too late and will have to follow the modern success of other consoles' footsteps?

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/22/15 at 1:41 pm

I really didn't expect this. It was all a dream.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/22/15 at 1:49 pm

I really didn't expect this. It was all a dream.

When Sega was dead-broke, man, I couldn't picture this.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/22/15 at 1:53 pm

I was never really a big fan of Sega or any of the Sonic games growing up. Heck, I think the last Sega system was already discontinued by the time I got into the gaming world anyway. So I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and waste my money on this system unless I hear really positive reviews about it. The big question is, will Sega's comeback bring the gaming industry back in the right direction again, or is it too late and will have to follow the modern success of other consoles' footsteps?

It depends on how much Sega is able to retake its spot in the console wars that Microsoft took over for them in 2001.  Both the XBOX and the upcoming Dreamcast have emphasis on PC functionality.  I'm doubtful anybody will be able to fully overtake Sony due to their reliable brand and strong third-party support, but since the XBOX One has not performed all that well, not to mention most of Microsoft's more recent attempts to leap into the future such as Kinect have been abandoned, Sega may have a chance.

Written By: Toon on 12/22/15 at 4:39 pm

I keep getting this feeling that this is all just a fake joke that someone is trying to troll everyone with. Mostly since this has happened before. I'll just say that I'll believe it when I actually see it being shown off at events such as E3. What's odd about that first link is that when the background music is playing I hear the  "audio jungle" watermark. That usually happens if someone has a sound that wasn't paid for (a preview audio). If this was Sega couldn't they have just paid for the audio? Welp! We have around 8 days left. When something is announced Ill then get out of my seat and throw a party. But for now I'll hold my own excitement.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/22/15 at 5:27 pm

Hopefully its true and they can bring something new to the gaming industry to spice it up again, and don't just offer ports of games already available for the PS4 and Xbox ONE.  Honestly video games have left a lot to be desired since Nintendo lost its place as a dominant player.  Gaming today needs fresh ideas and creativity and hopefully Sega brings it to the table.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/23/15 at 2:55 pm

I honestly doubt this is gonna happen. Sega is losing money, they don't have enough resources to make certain games on their own like Shenmue 3 (which they are relying on Kickstarters and Sony to help), let alone making a whole new console

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/23/15 at 4:53 pm

I hope to god that this is true!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Gaming hasn't been the same since SEGA left the console market. Nintendo SUCKS now and so does the XBOX One. PS4 is the only console I'm enjoying.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/24/15 at 9:10 am

Wow, I thought the Dreamcast would end Sega's home-console business fifteen years ago. Maybe they wanted to revive their business or something? But IDK if it's gonna be a success.

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/24/15 at 9:15 am

Its actually fake now. I recently lost interest in video games so my hopes weren't up either way.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/24/15 at 11:05 am

Wow, I thought the Dreamcast would end Sega's home-console business fifteen years ago. Maybe they wanted to revive their business or something? But IDK if it's gonna be a success.

I agree! I want this to be true and hopefully Sega would redefine gaming like they did in the 90's, but the pessimistic side of me is telling me this is just a fake...

Written By: Zelek2 on 12/24/15 at 1:51 pm

I hope to god that this is true!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Gaming hasn't been the same since SEGA left the console market. Nintendo SUCKS now and so does the XBOX One. PS4 is the only console I'm enjoying.

You may disagree with me, but I feel that Nintendo started to become "casualized" with the release of the Wii in late 2006. Sony also released the PS3 that year, which was a disaster, and Sonic 06 came out around that time as well.

Late 2006 was the "apocalypse" for gaming.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/24/15 at 3:46 pm

Sorry for crushing your dreams  ;D

hwiiRuHU0Bs

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/24/15 at 3:54 pm

You may disagree with me, but I feel that Nintendo started to become "casualized" with the release of the Wii in late 2006. Sony also released the PS3 that year, which was a disaster, and Sonic 06 came out around that time as well.

Late 2006 was the "apocalypse" for gaming.

Yeah 2006 was a VERY lackluster year for gaming and pop culture as well. that was NOT a great year. Gaming hasn't been THE SAME since that transitional period from the 6th to 7th gen from 2006-2007.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/24/15 at 4:07 pm

I'm surprised they didn't at least wait to announce this thing for April Fools Day.  Not that a new Sega console would be successful anyway, considering how badly the company has suffered since the original Dreamcast was discontinued.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/24/15 at 6:33 pm

It was fake? Not cool, dudes. Dreamcast was rad.

Written By: Zelek2 on 12/24/15 at 6:52 pm

Yeah 2006 was a VERY lackluster year for gaming and pop culture as well. that was NOT a great year. Gaming hasn't been THE SAME since that transitional period from the 6th to 7th gen from 2006-2007.

But I remember you saying you liked 2006. Did you just enjoy it despite how lackluster it was (maybe it was a good point in your childhood)?

Written By: Toon on 12/24/15 at 8:46 pm

Sorry for crushing your dreams  ;D

hwiiRuHU0Bs

HA! I totally called it (well kinda...). Anyways the thing that annoys me is why people must feel the need to go around tricking people into believing that something they wanted for years is finally coming. Its thanks to the internet that I stopped believing in rumors. I only listen to confirmed information provided by the company. If the rumor is of something that you've wanted for years is finally coming chances are it's likely someone trolling (although there is the 10% chance that it may be real, but the other 90% is all lies from trolls who have literally nothing else going on in their lives).

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 12/26/15 at 1:43 am

But I remember you saying you liked 2006. Did you just enjoy it despite how lackluster it was (maybe it was a good point in your childhood)?

My personal life was good! My kid life was great being 10/11. But culturally, it just wasn't that good of a year looking back!

Written By: 2001 on 12/26/15 at 12:27 pm

Not  sure if it would be a decent console. SEGA is long past its prime.

Check for new replies or respond here...