inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: RIP ABC Family: November 10th 2001 - January 11th 2016

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/31/15 at 11:32 am

Today is the last day of ABC Family. Starting tomorrow the channel will rebrand as a new name known as 'Freeform'. Right now they are showing The Lizzie McGuire Movie and in a half a hour they will be showing Grease. How do you guys feel about this?

I'm actually feeling a little bit melancholy over this :\'(

Subject: Re: RIP ABC Family: November 10th 2001 - December 31st 2015

Written By: musicguy93 on 12/31/15 at 12:43 pm

Today is the last day of ABC Family. Starting tomorrow the channel will rebrand as a new name known as 'Freeform'. Right now they are showing The Lizzie McGuire Movie and in a half a hour they will be showing Grease. How do you guys feel about this?

I'm not sure how the line up of shows will change. Personally, I hated most of abc family's original shows and movies (only watched the channel when a non-original movie or show was playing), so it really doesn't affect me. The only thing I noticed is that the Freeform logo looks horribly 2010s (not a huge fan of logo designs of this decade), and will probably seem very dated in future decades.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/31/15 at 1:30 pm

I'm not sure how the line up of shows will change. Personally, I hated most of abc family's original shows and movies (only watched the channel when a non-original movie or show was playing), so it really doesn't affect me. The only thing I noticed is that the Freeform logo looks horribly 2010s (not a huge fan of logo designs of this decade), and will probably seem very dated in future decades.

True I only watched ABC Family for reruns of classic shows like Boy Meets World and Dawson's Creek, and occasionally I'll watch a family orientated movies. Like right now I'm watching Grease with my two sisters. However I agree the original shows never really appealed to me as they always seemed very teenybopperish. But if they are getting rid of the reruns of shows and movies, then the channel IMO would lose the appeal it had

Written By: mqg96 on 12/31/15 at 1:32 pm

As long as I can remember watching TV, I've always known ABC Family has existed. I'll miss it being call that name too. Throughout ABC Family's history the name has been changed a lot from what I heard. Before then I heard it was called FOX Family but I don't remember that. Now TBH, throughout my childhood I only watched it for certain movies that be played and the 25 days of Christmas and that was it, which thankfully will continue with Freeform for the next several years. They said the target audience for Freeform will be 18-34 year old's so I'll give it a chance and see how it goes.

Written By: nally on 12/31/15 at 4:58 pm

I preferred watching programs that it showed reruns of, mostly from 2003 to about '07 or '08 (or whenever it was that they took Whose Line Is It Anyway out of their lineup).

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/31/15 at 5:49 pm

That channel has been a sewer ever since they discontinued the plain "Family" brand.  8-P

Written By: Ripley on 12/31/15 at 5:51 pm

True I only watched ABC Family for reruns of classic shows like Boy Meets World and Dawson's Creek, and occasionally I'll watch a family orientated movies. Like right now I'm watching Grease with my two sisters. However I agree the original shows never really appealed to me as they always seemed very teenybopperish. But if they are getting rid of the reruns of shows and movies, then the channel IMO would lose the appeal it had

I only watch it for reruns too.

I think this is lame. Its going to be a Teen channel not a Family channel. At least that's what I think. I hated when they changed it from Fox Family. I actually loved watching the channel brand whatever back then.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 12/31/15 at 6:48 pm

I only watch it for reruns too.

I think this is lame. Its going to be a Teen channel not a Family channel. At least that's what I think. I hated when they changed it from Fox Family. I actually loved watching the channel brand whatever back then.

Yeah same here, albeit their programming has been teenybopperish for a while now. I personally only have vague memories of Fox Family, but from what I could barely remember and from what I was told that it was pretty similar to ABC Family (especially ABC Fam's earlier days in the early 00's) which was where it focused on family entertainment. Thats one thing I'm going to miss about the network, especially since it seems like they are becoming full force teenybopper now  8-P

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/01/16 at 6:57 am

As long as I can remember watching TV, I've always known ABC Family has existed. I'll miss it being call that name too. Throughout ABC Family's history the name has been changed a lot from what I heard. Before then I heard it was called FOX Family but I don't remember that. Now TBH, throughout my childhood I only watched it for certain movies that be played and the 25 days of Christmas and that was it, which thankfully will continue with Freeform for the next several years. They said the target audience for Freeform will be 18-34 year old's so I'll give it a chance and see how it goes.

It was Fox Family until the fall of 2001. If they're not going to show reruns of good shows like The Middle it would hardly be worth watching anymore. The only upside I would hope for is if they'd can the 700 Club. The shows I see advertised snow are like teen soap operas that to me don't look very family oriented like the original channel name implied.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/01/16 at 7:42 am

What kind of stupid name is "Freeform"?  ::)

Written By: nally on 01/01/16 at 2:37 pm

I'm not sure either. Maybe they couldn't think up a better name, I dunno ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/01/16 at 2:47 pm

Sounds like some sort of feminine hygiene product.  ;D

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/01/16 at 3:40 pm

Sounds like some sort of feminine hygiene product.  ;D

Lol  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/01/16 at 4:50 pm

I kind of am too, which is a little ironic because I was one of those big time FOX Family Channel fans who was originally upset about the ABC takeover back in 2001. Doesn't look like there's going to be that big of a change in the lineup though, at least so far.

Written By: meesa on 01/01/16 at 6:08 pm

Only watched this channel for "Bunheads", and it didn't survive infancy when your target audience doesn't appreciate the writing of ASP, probably because it was a bit too sophisticated and far too good for that flyover channel anyway.

Here is their reasoning for the rebrand per Variety:

"The relaunch, which will coincide with the cabler’s popular “25 Days of Christmas” and winter premieres, marks a continued effort to evolve the young-skewing network past traditional family viewing and toward its target audience of “Becomers,” a network-coined term defined as those in the life stage spanning ages 14 to 34.

The Becomer audience — a concept ABC Family execs introduced at this year’s Upfront presentation — reflects the network’s efforts to keep up with its millennial viewers as they grow up. “The most important question that young people ask themselves as they’re going from high school to their thirties is, ‘Who am I becoming?’ So we call the life stage ‘becoming’ and the people going through it Becomers,” Ascheim explains.

“This is a long time coming. It really is an evolution of something that started 10 to 12 years ago when this network began to focus on what were then millennials. The network built incredible strength and incredible ratings success with young people, especially women,” Ascheim tells Variety. “And then something funny happened on the way of the demographic dance where millennials were no longer synonymous with youth. The oldest ones are turning 40 in a couple of years.”

Apparently their feedback told them they were 'too wholesome' and that their previous target audience had outgrown them.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/01/16 at 7:36 pm

Only watched this channel for "Bunheads", and it didn't survive infancy when your target audience doesn't appreciate the writing of ASP, probably because it was a bit too sophisticated and far too good for that flyover channel anyway.

Here is their reasoning for the rebrand per Variety:

"The relaunch, which will coincide with the cabler’s popular “25 Days of Christmas” and winter premieres, marks a continued effort to evolve the young-skewing network past traditional family viewing and toward its target audience of “Becomers,” a network-coined term defined as those in the life stage spanning ages 14 to 34.

The Becomer audience — a concept ABC Family execs introduced at this year’s Upfront presentation — reflects the network’s efforts to keep up with its millennial viewers as they grow up. “The most important question that young people ask themselves as they’re going from high school to their thirties is, ‘Who am I becoming?’ So we call the life stage ‘becoming’ and the people going through it Becomers,” Ascheim explains.

“This is a long time coming. It really is an evolution of something that started 10 to 12 years ago when this network began to focus on what were then millennials. The network built incredible strength and incredible ratings success with young people, especially women,” Ascheim tells Variety. “And then something funny happened on the way of the demographic dance where millennials were no longer synonymous with youth. The oldest ones are turning 40 in a couple of years.”

Apparently their feedback told them they were 'too wholesome' and that their previous target audience had outgrown them.

Family Channel was something for a wide range of ages and to just be oriented to what they think youth will like is too narrow a focus. And the oldest Millenials are NOT turning 40 in a couple years.  >:(

Written By: Ripley on 01/03/16 at 3:04 pm

So we have Freeform, MTv, MTv2 and Nickelodeon for crappy teen shows. These shows give youth the wrong impression of life, both the reality and fiction ones.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/03/16 at 3:06 pm

So we have Freeform, MTv, MTv2 and Nickelodeon for crappy teen shows. These shows give youth the wrong impression of life, both the reality and fiction ones.

THIS.

Written By: nally on 01/03/16 at 7:11 pm

Totally agree...

Written By: meesa on 01/03/16 at 11:27 pm

Family Channel was something for a wide range of ages and to just be oriented to what they think youth will like is too narrow a focus. And the oldest Millenials are NOT turning 40 in a couple years.  >:(

No argument there. I would say that the people in charge of the channel really ought to go back to the drawing board. Their view is insulting, in my opinion. And Millenials are certainly not approaching 40..but for them it is whatever will bring in ratings. *shrug*

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/04/16 at 12:24 am

I'm really not understanding the whole "Becomer" thing. Trying to appeal to an audience as broad as 14-34 years old is impossible, as those are just two radically different times in a person's life. I highly doubt that a 14-year-old high school freshman born in the 21st century, and a 34-year-old early Yer that can actually remember the Cold War are going to have very much in common when it comes to entertainment choices.

The programming decisions over on MTV and MTV 2 are even more puzzling. Those channels are supposed to target the younger demographics, but every time I come across them, they seem to be showing reruns of Boy Meets World and Martin. What high school kid is gonna want to sit around and watch marathons of cheesy '90s sitcoms all day?

Man, YouTube sure did a number on those music video channels. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 01/04/16 at 3:19 pm

Man, YouTube sure did a number on those music video channels.

and this is why MTV slowly went downhill.

Written By: nally on 01/04/16 at 6:44 pm

and this is why MTV slowly went downhill.

It started going downhill long before Youtube even came into existence.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/04/16 at 7:04 pm

It started going downhill long before Youtube even came into existence.

My parents tell me similar stories about the decline of MTV too. The 80's and most of the 90's is when MTV peaked from what I hear from people born around the 60's-80's. I wonder when the reality TV surge occurred on MTV? Late 90's or early 2000's?

Written By: nally on 01/04/16 at 7:22 pm

My parents tell me similar stories about the decline of MTV too. The 80's and most of the 90's is when MTV peaked from what I hear from people born around the 60's-80's. I wonder when the reality TV surge occurred on MTV? Late 90's or early 2000's?

Probably around that point. I didn't have cable tv at home prior to 2000, so I don't know firsthand about it.

Edit: I am looking up Real World on Wiki, and that show began in 1992. That might've been one of the first reality programs to air on MTV; not sure when others began.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/04/16 at 8:53 pm

Many Gen Xers claim that MTV went downhill when The Real World debuted in 1992 and when cartoons like Beavis & Butthead and Daria were popular.

Meanwhile Millennials claim that MTV went downhill when TRL was cancelled in 2008, since TRL was literally the last string of programming that had something to do with music videos, hence why everything is 100% reality tv now.

Written By: Ripley on 01/04/16 at 11:05 pm

Probably around that point. I didn't have cable tv at home prior to 2000, so I don't know firsthand about it.

Edit: I am looking up Real World on Wiki, and that show began in 1992. That might've been one of the first reality programs to air on MTV; not sure when others began.

The Real World was actually good back then. But now its trashy like Jersey Shore

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/04/16 at 11:49 pm

Family Channel was something for a wide range of ages and to just be oriented to what they think youth will like is too narrow a focus. And the oldest Millenials are NOT turning 40 in a couple years. >:(

That's true, but the youngest Xers are though!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/04/16 at 11:53 pm

Actually, most older guys always say that Mtv WAS Mtv during the 80s and early 90s. And when the Real World premiered in 92, the network apparently started to decline.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/05/16 at 2:24 am

I'm really not understanding the whole "Becomer" thing. Trying to appeal to an audience as broad as 14-34 years old is impossible, as those are just two radically different times in a person's life. I highly doubt that a 14-year-old high school freshman born in the 21st century, and a 34-year-old early Yer that can actually remember the Cold War are going to have very much in common when it comes to entertainment choices.

The programming decisions over on MTV and MTV 2 are even more puzzling. Those channels are supposed to target the younger demographics, but every time I come across them, they seem to be showing reruns of Boy Meets World and Martin. What high school kid is gonna want to sit around and watch marathons of cheesy '90s sitcoms all day?

Man, YouTube sure did a number on those music video channels. :-\\

People in their mid 20's and 30's aren't going to find much appeal in teenage drama programs. What is a "becomer" anyway? I've never heard that term to describe anyone. 90's sitcom reruns are ok for getting that dose of nostalgia, but the people who were raised with them will appreciate them more than someone who can't remember them. Are people in charge of these stations really that out of touch as to think the 90's was the epitome of cool? Or that high school kids and grown people have alot in common to be entertained the same? Marketing failed so hard I can't believe it.

The Real World was actually good back then. But now its trashy like Jersey Shore

They did challenges and games, Jersey Shore is just dumbasses getting into fights.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/05/16 at 7:21 am

They did challenges and games, Jersey Shore is just dumbasses getting into fights.

I remember at least half of the people all over my high school talking about Jersey Shore a lot throughout my freshman and sophomore years.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/05/16 at 8:25 am

That's true, but the youngest Xers are though!

To be fair the oldest Millennials, those born in 1981/1982, are about 5 years away from turning 40. Heck by the early 2020's, most Millennials would be in their mid-late 20's and 30's! That's crazy to think about  :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/05/16 at 9:18 am

To be fair the oldest Millennials, those born in 1981/1982, are about 5 years away from turning 40. Heck by the early 2020's, most Millennials would be in their mid-late 20's and 30's! That's crazy to think about  :o

...Thanks for reminding me... :-\\

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/05/16 at 2:02 pm

...Thanks for reminding me... :-\\

My bad man...

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/05/16 at 2:03 pm

Also my mistake the last day of ABC Family's broadcast will be January 11th 2016. I will change the name of this thread post accordingly

Written By: mqg96 on 01/05/16 at 2:05 pm

Also my mistake the last day of ABC Family's broadcast will be January 11th 2016. I will change the name of this thread post accordingly

Yeah, my Charter cable still said ABC Family on channel 60 and I clicked on it and Cinderella was on with the ABC Family logo on the bottom right screen. That was on January 1st btw.

Written By: nally on 01/05/16 at 2:09 pm

Ah, okay. So it still has a few more days before it actually changes.

Yeah, my Charter cable still said ABC Family on channel 60 and I clicked on it and Cinderella was on with the ABC Family logo on the bottom right screen. That was on January 1st btw.

I was gonna say, I noticed that my program guide still shows it as ABC Family too!

Subject: Re: RIP ABC Family: November 10th 2001 - January 11th 2016

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/05/16 at 2:09 pm

Here's the logos and marketing names the channel has used over the years:

1990-1998

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/7/75/Cbn_family_channel_logo.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110228030845

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/e/e0/Fox_Family_-_Prelaunch.png/revision/latest?cb=20121109175744

1998-2000

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/43/Fox_Family_logo.svg

2000-2001

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/create-logopedia/images/2/21/Fox_Family_logo.png/revision/latest?cb=20141130174838

2001-2003

http://westernjournalismcom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/abc-family.jpg

2003-2016

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6b/ABC_Family_logo.svg/2000px-ABC_Family_logo.svg.png

2016-Onwards

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/freeform1.jpg?w=970

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/05/16 at 2:18 pm

Ah, okay. So it still has a few more days before it actually changes.

I was gonna say, I noticed that my program guide still shows it as ABC Family too!

Once again my apologies, lol. Yeah the final countdown begins! 6 more days...

Written By: Howard on 01/05/16 at 3:00 pm

I don't know what MTV has to do with reality TV? ::)

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/05/16 at 4:21 pm

What he was referring to was that when MTV started to air mostly reality Tv rather than music videos was when the network died. Starting in the 90's you had The Real World, which was the first major success for reality tv and what ignited the gradual decline of music videos

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/05/16 at 4:31 pm

My bad man...

:P

Definitely late 90's. A lot of people think Survivor was the start of the reality boom but it was really Real World: Road Rules Challenge with the co-existing main Real World (in Seattle during 1998), FANatic and True Life back in 1998 that began the reality obsession. It started to really pick up around 1996 but 1998 is the year I'd start the surge at.

MTV pretty much pioneered reality TV.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/06/16 at 9:08 am

Apparently their feedback told them they were 'too wholesome'

You can always boost ratings by "tramping it up" that's for sure.  ::)

Written By: mqg96 on 01/06/16 at 9:21 am

What I just realized according to you and other sources is that this will be the very first time they are no longer using the word "family" in the name, whether it was owned by CBN, FOX, or ABC. Since the network started going in the teenybopper direction in the ABC era of Family they are now changing it to "Freeform" and it won't be a family channel anymore. I feel like if this is the case then this is the biggest name change in its entire history, but programming wise it has already changed though for most of the part.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/06/16 at 10:44 am

What I just realized according to you and other sources is that this will be the very first time they are no longer using the word "family" in the name, whether it was owned by CBN, FOX, or ABC. Since the network started going in the teenybopper direction in the ABC era of Family they are now changing it to "Freeform" and it won't be a family channel anymore. I feel like if this is the case then this is the biggest name change in its entire history, but programming wise it has already changed though for most of the part.

Yeah exactly! Its almost as if the whole 'family values' culture is dead now.

Maybe I'm reading into this too much, but culturally this represents the 2010's in a nutshell. The era that we grew up in when you would have family board game nights, watching sitcoms or game shows on primetime, watching a family movie on VHS/DVD or on TV (most likely being the Family Channel in the 90's or the FOX/ABC Family Channel in the 00's), having a family meal, etc. is now seen as retro, a 'retro family' as you will.

Similar to how we might've seen the 'nuclear family' of the 40's, 50's, & 60's as very vintage; kids born today and to some extent the children of today might see our family culture, the 'living room family' of the 80's, 90's, & most of the 00's as very dated and retro (and eventually vintage as well).

Today in the 2010's with the heavy emphasis of smartphones, tablets, PCs, etc. there's almost no need to have family board game nights when you could simply play an app on your phone, or watching a tv show at a certain time when you could stream it wherever and whenever, or watching a movie as you could potentially watch almost any movie without waiting for it to come on tv or to travel to the store to buy it, and of course because we are so consumed of our devices when we have family meals we lack the face to face communication as we did in the past.

This kind of reminds me to the scene in Back to The Future II, when future Marty is having dinner with his family but everybody including Marty is consumed on their own devices. While some of the devices themselves, didn't come to fruition in our timeline, the tech culture of everybody being isolated has.

Written By: nally on 01/06/16 at 12:24 pm

The "M" in this case obviously stands for something else. I often thought it stood for "moronic" TV when they were deviating almost entirely from showing music vids.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/06/16 at 12:28 pm

Yeah exactly! Its almost as if the whole 'family values' culture is dead now.

Maybe I'm reading into this too much, but culturally this represents the 2010's in a nutshell. The era that we grew up in when you would have family board game nights, watching sitcoms or game shows on primetime, watching a family movie on VHS/DVD or on TV (most likely being the Family Channel in the 90's or the FOX/ABC Family Channel in the 00's), having a family meal, etc. is now seen as retro, a 'retro family' as you will.

Similar to how we might've seen the 'nuclear family' of the 40's, 50's, & 60's as very vintage; kids born today and to some extent the children of today might see our family culture, the 'living room family' of the 80's, 90's, & most of the 00's as very dated and retro (and eventually vintage as well).

Today in the 2010's with the heavy emphasis of smartphones, tablets, PCs, etc. there's almost no need to have family board game nights when you could simply play an app on your phone, or watching a tv show at a certain time when you could stream it wherever and whenever, or watching a movie as you could potentially watch almost any movie without waiting for it to come on tv or to travel to the store to buy it, and of course because we are so consumed of our devices when we have family meals we lack the face to face communication as we did in the past.

This kind of reminds me to the scene in Back to The Future II, when future Marty is having dinner with his family but everybody including Marty is consumed on their own devices. While some of the devices themselves, didn't come to fruition in our timeline, the tech culture of everybody being isolated has.

Sort of, I do agree that lots of kids spend much of their time on their tablets or smartphones. But I do think that in the end quality trumps convenience. I've played a board game on my sister's ipad, and it was a lot more tedious than playing on an actual board game. Even my sister (who's 10), prefers physical board games. So it really depends on the kid.

As for for streaming movies, it's unfortunate that people don't realize that streaming comes to a major disadvantage. First off, the selection in these streaming services are limited, and they are bound to change. Second, it depends on internet connection, and even with perfect connection, there's also lagging problems, which ruin the whole movie. And then there's the picture and sound quality, which is just meh. With DVDs you can watch them whenever you feel like it, and they'll be there for your viewing forever (assuming you take care of them). Also for people like me who are really into how films are made, I like having extra features.

Now I do believe that streaming could trump T.V., but even then, there are severe disadvantages to streaming that will keep it from doing so. In my honest opinion, when it comes to movies, streaming is overrated. I don't buy the whole "streaming will replace DVDs". There are way too many pitfalls to streaming. Not to mention the fact that I like having something physical that I own. A lot of people feel the same way, so I think DVDs are not going anywhere, anytime soon. I'm not anti-streaming, I just how society nowadays picks convenience over everything, even over factors such as quality and advantage.

I wish there was a way to pull people out of this zombie-like mindset. I know this sounds crazy, but there's something not right about this decade. things are moving too fast, but the technology isn't quite ready to take over. It goes back to the post I made about the "newer is better" mentality. But I think for people like us, there will always be the option of physical media like DVDs, CDs, board games. If only there was some way to snap society out of it's little trance at the moment. Oh well, I'll keep supporting physical media, no matter what.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/06/16 at 12:29 pm

I do agree that lots of kids spend much of their time on their tablets or smartphones. But I do think that in the end, quality trumps convenience, at least for people in my family. I've played a board game on my sister's ipad, and it was a lot more tedious than playing on an actual board game. Even my sister (who's 10), prefers physical board games. So it really depends on the kid. The ipads sure aren't helping though.

As for for streaming movies, it's unfortunate that people don't realize that streaming comes to a major disadvantage. First off, the selection in these streaming services are limited, and they are bound to change. Second, it depends on internet connection, and even with perfect connection, there's also lagging problems, which ruin the whole movie. And then there's the picture and sound quality, which is just meh. With DVDs you can watch them whenever you feel like it, and they'll be there for your viewing forever (assuming you take care of them). Also for people like me who are really into how films are made, I like having extra features.

Now I do believe that streaming could trump T.V., but even then, there are severe disadvantages to streaming that will keep it from doing so. In my honest opinion, when it comes to movies, streaming is overrated. I don't buy the whole "streaming will replace DVDs". There are way too many pitfalls to streaming. Not to mention the fact that I like having something physical that I own. A lot of people feel the same way, so I think DVDs are not going anywhere, anytime soon. I'm not anti-streaming, I just how society nowadays picks convenience over everything, even over factors such as quality and advantage.

I wish there was a way to pull people out of this zombie-like mindset. I know this sounds crazy, but there's something not right about this decade. things are moving too fast, but the technology isn't quite ready to take over. It goes back to the post I made about the "newer is better" mentality. But I think for people like us, there will always be the option of physical media like DVDs, CDs, board games. If only there was some way to snap society out of it's little trance at the moment. Oh well, I'll keep supporting physical media, no matter what. We may be in a dark age, but eventually something's gotta give.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/06/16 at 12:36 pm

Sort of, I do agree that lots of kids spend much of their time on their tablets or smartphones. But I do think that in the end quality trumps convenience. I've played a board game on my sister's ipad, and it was a lot more tedious than playing on an actual board game. Even my sister (who's 10), prefers physical board games. So it really depends on the kid.

I wish there was a way to pull people out of this zombie-like mindset. I know this sounds crazy, but there's something not right about this decade. things are moving too fast, but the technology isn't quite ready to take over. It goes back to the post I made about the "newer is better" mentality. But I think for people like us, there will always be the option of physical media like DVDs, CDs, board games. If only there was some way to snap society out of it's little trance at the moment. Oh well, I'll keep supporting physical media, no matter what.

Yeah I agree 100%

Hopefully by the time Millennials start to become the main generation of parents, the cynical Gen X parenting styles will fade away and our kids will be resourceful and such. However I think that is just wishful thinking, as I have this strange feeling that our generation might be worst parents than Boomers/Xers.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/06/16 at 12:55 pm

Yeah I agree 100%

Hopefully by the time Millennials start to become the main generation of parents, the cynical Gen X parenting styles will fade away and our kids will be resourceful and such. However I think that is just wishful thinking, as I have this strange feeling that our generation might be worst parents than Boomers/Xers.

Probably. I don't want to even think about being a parent yet :o

Written By: Howard on 01/06/16 at 2:37 pm

The "M" in this case obviously stands for something else. I often thought it stood for "moronic" TV when they were deviating almost entirely from showing music vids.

or how about "mundane".

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/06/16 at 3:08 pm

Probably. I don't want to even think about being a parent yet :o

LOL Same  ;D

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/06/16 at 3:09 pm

or how about "mundane".

Or you could say 'Madness'

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/06/16 at 3:14 pm

Come on! You guys need to be more creative.

McDogsh!t Television
McHorsesh!t Television
McDouchebag Television
McScrotum Television
Manboobs Television
Muff-face Television
Muffdiver Television
Mangina Television

That is all I can think of. Feel free to add to my excellent list of new names for MTV.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/06/16 at 3:16 pm

How about;

Motherfu*&ka Television Network!?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/06/16 at 3:19 pm

Hmm, not bad. I think the 'a' instead of 'er' is a nice touch to appeal to the urban swag youth market.

What else...

Manwhore Television
Master-of-the-Bogus Television
Milimeter-Peter Television

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/06/16 at 3:31 pm

MonsterSh!t Television

MicroDick Television

Mischievous Television

thats all I could think of...

Written By: Howard on 01/06/16 at 3:32 pm

How about;

Motherfu*&ka Television Network!?

Ok I think we get the idea.  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/06/16 at 3:35 pm

MonsterSh!t Television

MicroDick Television

Mischievous Television

thats all I could think of...

MonsterSh!t Television! I really like that one!

I can only think of two more

Mongoloid Television
Monkey-Ass Television

Written By: Ripley on 01/06/16 at 8:50 pm

Lol nice new names you guys have created there

Millineum TV

In my opinion things had started to get shtty at the end of the 90's but once the new millineum hit it went downhill fast.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/06/16 at 11:30 pm

1990-1998

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/7/75/Cbn_family_channel_logo.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110228030845

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/e/e0/Fox_Family_-_Prelaunch.png/revision/latest?cb=20121109175744

1998-2000

2000-2001

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/create-logopedia/images/2/21/Fox_Family_logo.png/revision/latest?cb=20141130174838

2001-2003

http://westernjournalismcom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/abc-family.jpg

2003-2016

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6b/ABC_Family_logo.svg/2000px-ABC_Family_logo.svg.png

2016-Onwards

A hashtag? Seriously?

Written By: nally on 01/07/16 at 1:24 am

A hashtag? Seriously?

Pretty much what I was thinking when I saw the logo with the new name. ::)

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/07/16 at 1:31 am

It's so tacky.

Written By: nally on 01/07/16 at 1:32 am

It's so tacky.

I agree!

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/07/16 at 1:35 am

I agree!

It's so 10's! This whole thing is doomed to be a failure.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/07/16 at 9:03 am

Man, that thing's gonna be so incredibly dated in a couple of years it's not even funny.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/07/16 at 9:49 am

Man, that thing's gonna be so incredibly dated in a couple of years it's not even funny.

I agree!

I agree with all of you  ;D

Its almost as if we are living in the 'Hashtag Bubble' era or something along those lines

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/07/16 at 10:02 am

I agree with all of you  ;D

Its almost as if we are living in the 'Hashtag Bubble' era or something along those lines

You'd think that nowadays people would learn and try not to create content that could easily be dated in the next couple of years. This is a f*ckin' hashtag! It's not some call to arms revolution! In 10 years when the youth aren't so young anymore, they'll look back and say "what the hell were we thinking!?"

Honestly, this decade is so much more obvious than anyone before it and the fact that the content creators act like this won't become dated are huge morons.

The 80's up to early 00's had charm. Today is soulless and computerized.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/07/16 at 10:15 am

You'd think that nowadays people would learn and try not to create content that could easily be dated in the next couple of years. This is a f*ckin' hashtag! It's not some call to arm revolution! In 10 years when the youth are so young anymore, they'll look back and say "what the hell were we thinking!?"

Honestly, this decade is so much more obvious than anyone before it and the fact that the content creators act like this won't become dated are huge morons.

I've gotten used to it. Since Twitter hit its peak in late 2012/early 2013 the hashtag thing has become the norm in our pop culture. Even when you watch football games or basketball games on TV, after a 2 pointer or touchdown the scoreboard will be like #picksix or #jumpshot. A hashtag before a word can also help you search trends going viral on Twitter as well. I know I'm the only person on this site who doesn't get bothered by a hashtag. It's everywhere you go now. There's a lot more modern things out there that bothers me more than a simple hashtag.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/07/16 at 11:12 am

You'd think that nowadays people would learn and try not to create content that could easily be dated in the next couple of years. This is a f*ckin' hashtag! It's not some call to arm revolution! In 10 years when the youth are so young anymore, they'll look back and say "what the hell were we thinking!?"

I've gotten used to it. Since Twitter hit its peak in late 2012/early 2013 the hashtag thing has become the norm in our pop culture. Even when you watch football games or basketball games on TV, after a 2 pointer or touchdown the scoreboard will be like #picksix or #jumpshot. A hashtag before a word can also help you search trends going viral on Twitter as well. I know I'm the only person on this site who doesn't get bothered by a hashtag. It's everywhere you go now. There's a lot more modern things out there that bothers me more than a simple hashtag.

I agree with both you guys.

The thing is I do agree with @JordanK1982 that the obsession with technology since the 00's, has been pretty detrimental to our current pop culture. Hence why the change in culture seems more gradual then ever now and thus seems boring or unoriginal.

However I agree with @mqg96 as well; which is that, like it or not, the hashtag (you know what used to be considered a pound sign :o) is going to be next 'dot com'. Heck it arguably already is. I find it pretty surreal how 20 years ago millions of people across the world were just getting acclimated to using the World Wide Web and putting 'Website.com' on the search bar, similar to how people are starting to become accustomed to stating something on a social media post 'Please Donate to Blank, #Blank'.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if hashtags were still used un-ironically ten years from now. Especially since the hashtag has been around since the late 00's! Albeit it didn't start to gain ground until around late 2012/early 2013 when twitter and instagram were getting massively popular.

However, I do agree that our over obsession of hashtags would be similar to how in the 90's people were obsessed with dot.coms. So in that sense the narcissistic use of hashtags would most likely be seen as primitive to a teenager ten years from now, but the hashtag itself would most likely stick around for as long as social media still remains a vital part of our culture that is.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/07/16 at 1:44 pm

Found a few Family Channel Promos/Bumpers from the Early-Mid 90's

DoJXTup-iq4

gnjyhzZSN-g

K1KNhlld5n8

haQq21KM4Qc

2mXU-ha8EIY

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/07/16 at 2:07 pm

I agree with both you guys.

The thing is I do agree with @JordanK1982 that the obsession with technology since the 00's, has been pretty detrimental to our current pop culture. Hence why the change in culture seems more gradual then ever now and thus seems boring or unoriginal.

However I agree with @mqg96 as well; which is that, like it or not, the hashtag (you know what used to be considered a pound sign :o) is going to be next 'dot com'. Heck it arguably already is. I find it pretty surreal how 20 years ago millions of people across the world were just getting acclimated to using the World Wide Web and putting 'Website.com' on the search bar, similar to how people are starting to become accustomed to stating something on a social media post 'Please Donate to Blank, #Blank'.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if hashtags were still used un-ironically ten years from now. Especially since the hashtag has been around since the late 00's! Albeit it didn't start to gain ground until around late 2012/early 2013 when twitter and instagram were getting massively popular.

However, I do agree that our over obsession of hashtags would be similar to how in the 90's people were obsessed with dot.coms. So in that sense the narcissistic use of hashtags would most likely be seen as primitive to a teenager ten years from now, but the hashtag itself would most likely stick around for as long as social media still remains a vital part of our culture that is.

#It's #weird #to #think #about #how #the #future #might #turn #out #like #this.

Also, dot coms? That is so yesterday.com!

Written By: Howard on 01/07/16 at 3:49 pm

everything these days is hashtag this and hashtag that. ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/07/16 at 3:51 pm

#It's #weird #to #think #about #how #the #future #might #turn #out #like #this.

Also, dot coms? That is so yesterday.com!

Yep, this is the world we're living in now. ::)

Written By: the2001 on 01/07/16 at 4:13 pm

thats not the logo

its on the new Ad

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/10/16 at 10:20 pm

thats not the logo

its on the new Ad

My bad...

Written By: mqg96 on 01/11/16 at 11:07 am

I still see the ABC Family logo on the bottom right screen. Has it officially been changed yet? However, over the last month or so I've been seeing commercials saying "on Freeform, the new name for ABC Family".

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/11/16 at 11:28 am

I still see the ABC Family logo on the bottom right screen. Has it officially been changed yet? However, over the last month or so I've been seeing commercials saying "on Freeform, the new name for ABC Family".

Today's the last day, Freefrom begins tomorrow

Written By: mqg96 on 01/11/16 at 12:14 pm

Tonight when I get back home from class I'll be watching the Alabama vs. Clemson match up in the college football national championship, then after that I'll turn to ABC Family and see how it'll turn into Freeform.

Written By: nally on 01/11/16 at 1:53 pm

I'll watch to see if the logo changes on my onscreen program guide tomorrow.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/11/16 at 8:23 pm

Tonight when I get back home from class I'll be watching the Alabama vs. Clemson match up in the college football national championship, then after that I'll turn to ABC Family and see how it'll turn into Freeform.

Yeah same here!

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/16 at 8:33 pm

I think I'll tune in right before midnight tonight, so I can view the last few minutes of suckdom.  :P

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/11/16 at 10:11 pm

I think I'll tune in right before midnight tonight, so I can view the last few minutes of suckdom.  :P

Looks like the 700 Club is bound to be the last program to be broadcasted on ABC Family...

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/11/16 at 10:21 pm

Looks like the 700 Club is bound to be the last program to be broadcasted on ABC Family...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/cbn_700club_tithing_130318a-615x345.jpg

;)

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/11/16 at 10:58 pm

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/cbn_700club_tithing_130318a-615x345.jpg

;)

Thanks I needed that  ;D

Written By: Ripley on 01/12/16 at 12:55 pm

Has the logo changed? I haven't checked it.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/12/16 at 4:26 pm

Thanks I needed that  ;D

My pleasure! ;D

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/12/16 at 4:40 pm

Yeah it has and the first program to be shown on the network was The Middle

Written By: nally on 01/13/16 at 12:43 pm

Yeah it has and the first program to be shown on the network was The Middle

Yep, indeed it has.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/16/16 at 8:56 pm

1990-1998

1998-2000

2000-2001

2001-2003

2003-2016

2016-Onwards

They can't be serious. They're using a hashtag as their new logo? If nobody is watching their crap, then why couldn't they just cease from existence?

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/16/16 at 9:01 pm

They can't be serious. They're using a hashtag as their new logo? If nobody is watching their crap, then why couldn't they just cease from existence?

It'll definitely look dated 5 years from now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/16/16 at 9:55 pm

It'll definitely look dated 5 years from now.

How? This is 2016. Five years from now will be 2021, which will still have some 2010s influences. So, they might use that hashtag for a while.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/16/16 at 11:06 pm

How? This is 2016. Five years from now will be 2021, which will still have some 2010s influences. So, they might use that hashtag for a while.

Like I've said before, I think the hashtag would remain popular for another 10 years or so. Twitter or Instagram may die (although there is little evidence of either dying down anytime soon), but there will always be a social media platform willing to use it, thus the symbol would most likely stick around

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/16/16 at 11:08 pm

Also my apologies, apparently this is the real logo:

https://abcfapps.blob.core.windows.net/shadowhunters/2016/12/1a6a5f51-768f-413c-bd7e-51cc59327b7a.jpg

However the picture with hashtag seems to have been used for promos on the network

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/17/16 at 2:25 pm

https://abcfapps.blob.core.windows.net/shadowhunters/2016/12/1a6a5f51-768f-413c-bd7e-51cc59327b7a.jpg

However the picture with hashtag seems to have been used for promos on the network

I still say... that logo and the name itself look like they're promoting some sort of feminine hygiene product.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/16 at 3:01 pm

They'll hashtag anything. ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/17/16 at 3:16 pm

Like I've said before, I think the hashtag would remain popular for another 10 years or so. Twitter or Instagram may die (although there is little evidence of either dying down anytime soon), but there will always be a social media platform willing to use it, thus the symbol would most likely stick around

But it's not like 2020s kids would even know what the hashtag was or where it came from. What if the hashtag simply dies off in the next five years or evolves into something else? No one really knows since we started to use them around 2012.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/17/16 at 10:42 pm

But it's not like 2020s kids would even know what the hashtag was or where it came from. What if the hashtag simply dies off in the next five years or evolves into something else? No one really knows since we started to use them around 2012.

True you make a good point! We'll have to wait and see, there are no gurantees

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/17/16 at 10:45 pm

They'll hashtag anything. ::)

Indeed, we've become so obsessed with this thing ---> #

Written By: Howard on 01/18/16 at 3:07 pm

Indeed, we've become so obsessed with this thing ---> #

What is that even mean? ???

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/18/16 at 3:29 pm

People have become obssesed with using the hashtag

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/18/16 at 4:12 pm

# is supposed to mean numbers but the youth of today have distorted it to tag posts and images.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/f816ee683663568d44e6c3a7b00f95fb/tumblr_nlqyzb5vTN1st4w9lo1_500.png

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/18/16 at 7:58 pm

# is supposed to mean numbers but the youth of today have distorted it to tag posts and images.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/f816ee683663568d44e6c3a7b00f95fb/tumblr_nlqyzb5vTN1st4w9lo1_500.png

This.

Written By: Ripley on 01/18/16 at 9:44 pm

rted it to tag posts and images.

;)

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/18/16 at 10:34 pm

2021 will probably be very similar to the late 2010s. Whether it'll be similar to the mid 2010s, remains to be seen. Usually a lot changes in the late part of the decade. Sure there will probably still be small remnants of the mid 2010s, so who knows.

But it's not just the hashtag, it's also the design of the logo itself. Even if hashtags are still used in 2021, I doubt the design of the logo will remain in the same mid 2010s style.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/18/16 at 10:36 pm

Oops nevermind my previous post ;D. Though I still doubt that the mid 2010s will have a strong influence on the late 2010s and early 2020s. Anyway, this looks pretty okay! Better than the the hipsteresque-looking hashtag logo, at least.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/16 at 2:50 pm

People have become obssesed with using the hashtag

The sure have. ::)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/30/19 at 10:03 pm

THREE YEARS LATER........

And these shows seem to be kicking it on Freeform..... for better, or for worst. IDK, I haven't heard much from this channel in years.

mRJKx2fiDNQ

Any of you guys watch these?

Written By: mqg96 on 05/31/19 at 7:55 am

^ Yeah, my younger sister 7 years younger is heavily into Cloak and Dagger. Funny enough I remember the animated version of those characters making guest appearances in the older cartoons.

Check for new replies or respond here...