inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music Videos, Then and Now

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/03/16 at 7:45 pm

I noticed for a good minute now. I'm focusing on the genres I grew up listening to, Hip Hop and R&B. Older music videos of rappers and singers are really lively. As I remember music videos from 2003 alone, the performances of the rappers and singers are very fluid while today are lacking and feel off. Its interesting because I'm not comparing music videos exactly from today. Just fairly old music videos from 2010, 2011 to much older versions. I remember first watching the music video of Kanye West - All Falls Down for the first time and it was already fluidly made to me.

Is it that music videos of today need more time to age or I am over exaggerating?

Subject: Re: Music Videos, Then and Now

Written By: 2001 on 01/03/16 at 8:47 pm

What do you mean by 'fluid'?

The difference in music videos I notice most is that in the 2000s, music videos tried to sell a lifestyle, whether it was skater, party-goer, aimless pedestrian, or rich girl obsessed with Japanese dolls.

Most music videos in the 2010s seem to be dances, or they tell stories.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/03/16 at 9:45 pm

What do you mean by 'fluid'?

The difference in music videos I notice most is that in the 2000s, music videos tried to sell a lifestyle, whether it was skater, party-goer, aimless pedestrian, or rich girl obsessed with Japanese dolls.

Most music videos in the 2010s seem to be dances, or they tell stories.

Fluid as in energized. I can't speak for other music genre varieties but Hip Hop music videos of today are stiff to me. Its just something I feel I caught on to and wanted to share in case anyone else can relate. Maybe I'm just biased R&B wise.

Written By: the2001 on 01/04/16 at 11:41 am

I noticed for a good minute now. I'm focusing on the genres I grew up listening to, Hip Hop and R&B. Older music videos of rappers and singers are really lively. As I remember music videos from 2003 alone, the performances of the rappers and singers are very fluid while today are lacking and feel off. Its interesting because I'm not comparing music videos exactly from today. Just fairly old music videos from 2010, 2011 to much older versions. I remember first watching the music video of Kanye West - All Falls Down for the first time and it was already fluidly made to me.

Is it that music videos of today need more time to age or I am over exaggerating?

Alot of music videos in the 2000s were directed by Hype Williams  (White letterboxing instead of black) (or a video playing at the same time in the letterboxing)
Another style was ALL GREEN tint for videos, if you watch JOJOS leave, or anything from All american rejects,  Also budgets were bigger back then.

There was this weird period from 2008-2011 were alot of videos were cheaply made on green screens only or just a white background  (minus Gaga,Kanye, Katy and Taio cruz)

Written By: Ripley on 01/04/16 at 11:43 am

To me ever genre is the same. Just not creative anymore. Like with a lot of movies no original ideas anymore.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/04/16 at 12:44 pm

I'm not the biggest rap listener, but I'll take your word for it. Entertainment in general, in the 2010s (so far) has been pretty lame and boring. I really hope the latter part of the decade improves things. Without a doubt though, the early-mid 2010s will the era that time forgot.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/16 at 3:15 pm

To me ever genre is the same. Just not creative anymore. Like with a lot of movies no original ideas anymore.

nobody has time to tell a story.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/16 at 3:17 pm

music videos back then were creative and were able to tell a story in the videos and this was back in the 80's. I don't see anyone have that passion anymore.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/04/16 at 4:51 pm

Alot of music videos in the 2000s were directed by Hype Williams  (White letterboxing instead of black) (or a video playing at the same time in the letterboxing)
Another style was ALL GREEN tint for videos, if you watch JOJOS leave, or anything from All american rejects,  Also budgets were bigger back then.

There was this weird period from 2008-2011 were alot of videos were cheaply made on green screens only or just a white background  (minus Gaga,Kanye, Katy and Taio cruz)

Age must play a role to. I don't look up to these new stars. I check up on the stars I grew up with. You would think that now the rappers have more income then back then and still lacking fluid movements, even though music videos isn't something they release everyday. Yup. A music artist definitely can't top his or her peak.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/04/16 at 5:07 pm

I'm not the biggest rap listener, but I'll take your word for it. Entertainment in general, in the 2010s (so far) has been pretty lame and boring. I really hope the latter part of the decade improves things. Without a doubt though, the early-mid 2010s will the era that time forgot.

No it has not. I enjoyed the early-mid 2010's. It had its low points (2012), but the time period wasn't bad as a whole. I have no doubt that the mid-late 2010's will be better, but I will say that I have been fairly satisfied by what the decade has given me so far. It's the 2000's that will be the era that time forgot.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/04/16 at 6:41 pm

No it has not. I enjoyed the early-mid 2010's. It had its low points (2012), but the time period wasn't bad as a whole. I have no doubt that the mid-late 2010's will be better, but I will say that I have been fairly satisfied by what the decade has given me so far. It's the 2000's that will be the era that time forgot.

I disagree. I believe the later 2010 onwards to 2020s, 2030s, 2040s and continuing will be generic. Just decades centered around technology. By then, the 2000s will be seen as interesting and unique.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/04/16 at 6:59 pm

I disagree. I believe the later 2010 onwards to 2020s, 2030s, 2040s and continuing will be generic. Just decades centered around technology. By then, the 2000s will be seen as interesting and unique.

Dude, the aughts were anything but interesting and unique.  ::)

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/04/16 at 9:27 pm

You shouldn't make predictions of the future, based on current trends. Things don't necessarily move in a singular direction. Anything could happen in the late 2010s and 2020s/2030s/2040s/etc.

Written By: Ripley on 01/04/16 at 11:00 pm

nobody has time to tell a story.

If they truly cared about their work they would.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/05/16 at 8:11 am

Dude, the aughts were anything but interesting and unique.  ::)

Trust me, man. The Early 2000s will be remembered. Especially being more and more looped with the 90s. The mid 2000s to. Now I agree that the late 2000s will definitely be forgotten if not Obama related.
You shouldn't make predictions of the future, based on current trends. Things don't necessarily move in a singular direction. Anything could happen in the late 2010s and 2020s/2030s/2040s/etc.

I was pointing out the major, technology wise.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/05/16 at 9:17 am

Trust me, man. The Early 2000s will be remembered. Especially being more and more looped with the 90s. The mid 2000s to. Now I agree that the late 2000s will definitely be forgotten if not Obama related.

I agree. The movies and music from the early 2000's are already being treated like classics and the majority of people I've met think of 2000-2003 as if they were a continuation of the 90's.

What I've noticed about videos from the early 2000's compared to today is that the colors are usually really bright (including the clothing people wore) and the saturation was through the roof. Funny stuff usually happened in those videos whereas today they're pretty boring to watch.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/16 at 3:07 pm

If they truly cared about their work they would.

groups like Wham!,Foreigner and Air Supply are groups who shown passion in their music.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/05/16 at 5:28 pm

I was pointing out the major, technology wise.

You said that future decades will be centered around technology. I'm guessing by that, you mean that there will be less effort put into the music industry in future decades. Once again, you have no way of telling what future decades will be like. The current state of things are not a sign of what's to come.

By the way, I'd argue there's barely any effort being put into technology in this decade. It's mostly trendy, gimmicky junk, like smart-watches, google glasses, the constant upgrades of smartphones, apps, etc.

Written By: Smiley on 01/05/16 at 6:28 pm

JmcA9LIIXWw

had this song stuck in my head forever. gave up on finding it because i could not remember the lyrics but it kept haunting me in my head... i finally heard it on the radio today  :D :D :D its from 1983

Written By: Howard on 01/06/16 at 2:40 pm

By the way, I'd argue there's barely any effort being put into technology in this decade. It's mostly trendy, gimmicky junk, like smart-watches, google glasses, the constant upgrades of smartphones, apps, etc.

stuff people don't want.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 01/06/16 at 6:47 pm

stuff people don't want.

This is what people would remember about the 2010s in the future decades, maybe 20 or more years from now, if there is a 2010s nostalgia.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/06/16 at 8:45 pm

stuff people don't want.

Exactly.

Check for new replies or respond here...