inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: End of the "early '10s" era in music?

Written By: bchris02 on 01/09/16 at 1:02 am

What song do you think was the last early '10s style song to become popular?  I am going to say this one, from late 2012.  For me, this song represented the end of an era.

J_nziODUGcw

What do you think?

Subject: Re: End of the "early '10s" era in music?

Written By: #Infinity on 01/09/16 at 3:48 am

Honestly, it's sort of hard to pinpoint a definitive end to "early '10s" music because today's electronic dance music still has pretty strong ties to most of the early 2010s, the only major distinction being the watered-down quality.

If I had to answer what was the last song that sounds unambiguously early 2010s, I'd probably say this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOubzHCUt48

Its production is a little more fleshed out than the stuff from Animal, but it still has a pretty early '10s-style melodic structure and that same euro-ish type of lead synthesizer that was common during the early 2010s.  Note that later singles from the same Ke$ha album sound more modern than "Die Young," especially "Crazy Kids."

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/09/16 at 3:03 pm

Early and mid 2010's are not that different. Only the fads sound out of place. I notice the biggest difference between the early and mid 2010's music is the artists. Lady Gaga (in the first two years), Katy Perry, Ke$ha, B.o.B., OneRepublic, Bruno Mars, Drake, Rihanna, and Adele all dominated the charts in the early years. Now, only some of them made music in the middle years, while most artists generally feel "anonymous" in a sense. We still have massive hits, but the artists themselves don't matter as much anymore. In the early 2010's, the artists surpassed the popularity of their own music, and for the wrong reasons. What they were doing in their day-to-day lives and who they "dated" became more important than their albums and singles. The mid 2010's focus on the music itself more. The closest we have to a megastar and a media icon is Adele, and that's all because of her music and not her personal life. With two Omega-selling albums, Adele is for sure going to be the face of 2010s music.

With regards to the music itself, I think 2013-present is better than 2009-2012. The hip-hop was better back then (mostly), but the dance is better now and R&B has made a massive comeback. I also really enjoy the folk and acoustic music that we have seen in the mid 2010's. The mid 2010's have given us more talented artists, more melodic tunes, and also more slow-paced production. The early and mid 2010's aren't too different. It's just that the middle years have been a step up in quality.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/09/16 at 9:40 pm

There is a significant difference between the early '10s sound and the mid '10s sound in my opinion.

The early '10s were about fun, catchy dance songs and synth-focused hip-hop.  The mid '10s are splintered into hipster alternative rock, teen pop, and trap rap.  If "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga represented the early '10s, "Call Me Maybe" represents the mid '10s.  I agree that individual artists were more of a big deal in the early '10s as opposed to the mid '10s where the songs themselves are big but the artists are relatively anonymous.  I believe a lot of that is the result many people moving away from traditional Top 40 towards apps like Pandora where they only hear the style of music they enjoy.  Even then, there have been artists in the mid '10s that have cult followings; Adele, One Direction, and Ariana Grande being among them.

Personally, much of my preference for the early '10s is related to my personal life.  The early '10s were the best time of my life and I associate the style of music that was prevalent then with that era of my life.  My personal life has sucked since moving back to my small hometown in 2012 and I associate the mid '10s sound with this current life where I am very unhappy.  It also may be because I am getting older, but I think it's more because my personal life has been terrible since 2012.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/09/16 at 11:35 pm

The early '10s were about fun, catchy dance songs and synth-focused hip-hop.  The mid '10s are splintered into hipster alternative rock, teen pop, and trap rap.

My thoughts in a nutshell.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/10/16 at 2:12 am

The early '10s were about fun, catchy dance songs and synth-focused hip-hop.  The mid '10s are splintered into hipster alternative rock, teen pop, and trap rap.  If "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga represented the early '10s, "Call Me Maybe" represents the mid '10s.  I agree that individual artists were more of a big deal in the early '10s as opposed to the mid '10s where the songs themselves are big but the artists are relatively anonymous.  I believe a lot of that is the result many people moving away from traditional Top 40 towards apps like Pandora where they only hear the style of music they enjoy.  Even then, there have been artists in the mid '10s that have cult followings; Adele, One Direction, and Ariana Grande being among them.

Personally, much of my preference for the early '10s is related to my personal life.  The early '10s were the best time of my life and I associate the style of music that was prevalent then with that era of my life.  My personal life has sucked since moving back to my small hometown in 2012 and I associate the mid '10s sound with this current life where I am very unhappy.  It also may be because I am getting older, but I think it's more because my personal life has been terrible since 2012.

The early 2010's had more than just catchy dance-pop, and the mid 2010's have that stuff too. Also indie music, teen pop, and trap rap are only small trends that take up a few spots of the charts. Teen pop especially has been declining since the back-to-school season of 2015. I'm guessing the radio stations only play those genres you speak of? Both early and mid '10s have R&B, but slightly different forms. The earlier years were more hipstery (think "Not Over You" and "Next to Me"), while the middle years are more eclectic (anywhere from "#Beautiful" to "Not A Bad Thing" to "Here" to "Hello" to "Same Old Love"). Early 2010's dance was more conventional and straightforward in it's style and production (e.g. "DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love" and "Feel So Close") while the mid 2010's are sharper, surreal, and more mid-tempo (like "Roses" and "Lean On").

I wouldn't label "Poker Face" as the song of the early 2010s. That came out way too early, and I remember that song sounding ancient even in 2011! "Call Me Maybe" is also too old to define the mid 2010's. If anything, the flagship song of the early 2010's will be "We Found Love". For the middle years, definitely "Uptown Funk", at least for the meantime until we see the biggest 2016 hit song. The mid, and maybe even some of the early, 2010s have given us new artists that will replace older and more-established yet similar artists that are losing their relevance because of their age. For instance, Alessia Cara is the new Alicia Keys.

I can understand why you see the early 2010's in a more positive light due to your personal life. I also loved my life back then as well. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy early 2010's music but it's too whimsical for my tastes as a whole.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/10/16 at 5:12 am

The early 10's can be summed up in one word.

Ke$ha. 

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/16 at 5:28 am

The early 10's can be summed up in one word.

Ke$ha.

She's a very good example of early 10's music.

Written By: aja675 on 01/10/16 at 6:12 am

yKNYPyaBpsk]
Does this 2012 song sound like it's from the electropop era or does it sound more modern than that?

Written By: aja675 on 01/15/16 at 6:22 am

Would you say that 2012 music is starting to age?

Written By: #Infinity on 01/15/16 at 11:45 am

No, not yet.  There haven't been enough new influences since then to distinguish current music from the sound of 2012.

Written By: Fearsword on 01/15/16 at 4:34 pm

Some of 2012's music does sound a little dated compared wit today. Songs from that year such as these Tog4FpNCjQ0
cgav1iKOdSw qjHlgrGsLWQ 5jWF0Yaxf2g have sounds that I hardly hear on the radio these days, but 2012 was the beginning of the era we are in now with "Call me Maybe".

Written By: Slim95 on 01/15/16 at 10:03 pm

I would "Scream and Shout" and "Die Young" like someone else mentioned. Reason being is those were the last few songs at #1 or popular before Thrift Shop topped the charts. The moment "Thrift Shop" became popular was definitely the time you noticed music and culture changed. Music today and from the early 2010's is not night and day, but there is a pretty different sound and vibe. There's a lot less autotune and dance beats these days that's for sure. Music in the mid 10's s better than the early 10's in my opinion, more mature and rich, for the most part.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/16/16 at 4:15 pm

I would "Scream and Shout" and "Die Young" like someone else mentioned. Reason being is those were the last few songs at #1 or popular before Thrift Shop topped the charts. The moment "Thrift Shop" became popular was definitely the time you noticed music and culture changed. Music today and from the early 2010's is not night and day, but there is a pretty different sound and vibe. There's a lot less autotune and dance beats these days that's for sure. Music in the mid 10's s better than the early 10's in my opinion, more mature and rich, for the most part.

I would say "Call Me Maybe" was the catalyst for the change more than Thrift Shop.  However, those songs were popular around the same time.

I agree that the mid '10s aren't night and day compared to the early '10s, but there are significant differences.  It's interesting that people who prefer the mid '10s tend to dislike the early '10s and people who liked the early '10s aren't as fond of the mid '10s.

One thing the mid '10s doesn't have much of is fun, dance beats to escape to especially at a club.  I am so glad my prime club-going age was during the early '10s.  The early '10s were great for club anthems to get lost in and excellent EDM remixes of them.  Today, you don't have very many at all and music has gone in a more organic direction.

As for hip-hop, I am starting to lose interest and am ready for trap rap to evolve into something else.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/16/16 at 4:25 pm

I would say "Call Me Maybe" was the catalyst for the change more than Thrift Shop.  However, those songs were popular around the same time.

I agree that the mid '10s aren't night and day compared to the early '10s, but there are significant differences.  It's interesting that people who prefer the mid '10s tend to dislike the early '10s and people who liked the early '10s aren't as fond of the mid '10s.

One thing the mid '10s doesn't have much of is fun, dance beats to escape to especially at a club.  I am so glad my prime club-going age was during the early '10s.  The early '10s were great for club anthems to get lost in and excellent EDM remixes of them.  Today, you don't have very many at all and music has gone in a more organic direction.

As for hip-hop, I am starting to lose interest and am ready for trap rap to evolve into something else.

Well I actually first heard Call Me Maybe in Fall of 2011 as it was released in Canada at the time. And I thought nothing of it than a typical pop song by a Canadian artist which we already had a lot of even in the early 10's. The beat was also fast and you can kinda dance to it, that's why I didn't think much of it. But when I first heard Thrft Shop, I was like "Oh cool, that sounds different". It was something that wasn't popular on the radio before. That song kinda started the peak of Hipster culture in the 2010s.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/16/16 at 5:10 pm

I disagree. Nothing about Call Me Maybe sounds "mid 2010s". Sure it doesn't sound stereotypically early 2010s, but that doesn't mean it had an influence on mid 2010s pop.

When it comes preferences I know I've said it before, but I dislike both early and mid 2010s mainstream music (with the exception of 2010 and the second half of 2015).

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/16 at 6:00 pm

Why are people acting like Call me Maybe was the beginning of some sort of societal decadence? It was a catchy song ;D

I like all the 10s, though I have to admit the dance scene of the early 10s was incredible. Glad I had my senior prom in 2010, and my freshman week in 2011. Those days were wild! There are still great mid 10s dance songs though, like Shake it Off and Uptown Funk, Shut Up and Dance, Happy by Pharell Williams. I'm still getting boogie with it.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/16/16 at 8:54 pm

I disagree. Nothing about Call Me Maybe sounds "mid 2010s". Sure it doesn't sound stereotypically early 2010s, but that doesn't mean it had an influence on mid 2010s pop.

It was the first song of the ilk of Ariana Grande, Becky G, Cher Lloyd, new Taylor Swift, etc.

If you really want to go back to the song that started it all, you have to go back to "Friday" by Rebecca Black.

I agree though that it wasn't the only song to have a big influence on bringing in the mid 2010s.  Thrift Shop was a big one as was songs like "Demons" by Imagine Dragons.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/16/16 at 9:00 pm

Why are people acting like Call me Maybe was the beginning of some sort of societal decadence? It was a catchy song ;D

I like all the 10s, though I have to admit the dance scene of the early 10s was incredible. Glad I had my senior prom in 2010, and my freshman week in 2011. Those days were wild! There are still great mid 10s dance songs though, like Shake it Off and Uptown Funk, Shut Up and Dance, Happy by Pharell Williams. I'm still getting boogie with it.

Personally I can't stand any of it. Not just music, but the whole zeitgeist of this decade, whether it be fashion, music, T.V. shows (with some exceptions), movies (with some exceptions). I just hope things improve, as the zeitgeist fades away.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/16/16 at 9:05 pm

It was the first song of the ilk of Ariana Grande, Becky G, Cher Lloyd, new Taylor Swift, etc.

If you really want to go back to the song that started it all, you have to go back to "Friday" by Rebecca Black.

I agree though that it wasn't the only song to have a big influence on bringing in the mid 2010s.  Thrift Shop was a big one as was songs like "Demons" by Imagine Dragons.

Cher Lloyd was early 2010s. I haven't heard any major hits from her past 2013. As for the other artists you cited, I still don't hear it. In my opinion, Call Me Maybe is not stereotypically early 2010s, but it certainly isn't mid 2010s. And when you get into the production of the song, I'd argue that it is actually closer to early 2010s than mid 2010s.

Oh and by the way, Rebecca Black's Friday is much closer to early 2010s electropop. Which is makes sense, since it was released in early 2011. But hey, I guess it's all about perspective.

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/16 at 9:54 pm

Personally I can't stand any of it. Not just music, but the whole zeitgeist of this decade, whether it be fashion, music, T.V. shows (with some exceptions), movies (with some exceptions). I just hope things improve, as the zeitgeist fades away.

Really? What decade do you prefer?  :o

I'm surprised, since we're born the same year but have such diverging opinions on this decade. I love almost every little thing about the 2010s, from 2009 onwards, especially fashion and TV shows.

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/16 at 9:57 pm

Cher Lloyd is early 2010s isn't she?

New Taylor Swift, at least her 2014 stuff doesn't sound too different from early 2010s stuff. It's just less electric sounding. Her songs like Bad Blood and Wildest Dreams are pretty awful though, I think we can put those in the teen pop category lol.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/16/16 at 9:58 pm

The early 2010s (except for 2010) seem to be extremely terrible in music nowadays. I can't stand listening to all of that pop bullcrap that they keep airing on the radio nowadays. Seriously, can somebody tell Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Drake, Kanye West, and Silento that they're talentless?

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/16 at 10:06 pm

The early 2010s (except for 2010) seem to be extremely terrible in music nowadays. I can't stand listening to all of that pop bullcrap that they keep airing on the radio nowadays. Seriously, can somebody tell Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Drake, Kanye West, and Silento that they're talentless?

Bieber has always been bad. I had to unfollow my cousin on Twitter/Instagram because she tweets about him non-stop! Like, my Instagram page was browseable until I started following my cousin back, now it's 90% Justin Bieber!  8-P Thankfully Twitter has the sense to have a mute button. Instagram is still broken though.

The rest you listed I find talent, except Silento, I don't know who they are. (am I living under a rock?) Especially Taylor Swift, she writes her own music. Her Bad Blood/Wildest Dreams songs are pretty bad, but everyone has misses now and then. I really love Shake It Off/Blank Space, how can you guys hate that? The beats and lyrics are so much fun!  ;D

There's even Youtube videos of rabbits and hamsters dancing to Shake It Off. That's how you know a song is instinctually good!

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/16/16 at 11:10 pm

I'm surprised, since we're born the same year but have such diverging opinions on this decade. I love almost every little thing about the 2010s, from 2009 onwards, especially fashion and TV shows.

Actually when it comes to taste, people our age tend to be varied. There isn't a specific decade I prefer when it comes to pop culture. I like a mix of movies, T.V shows, and music from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and even 00s. When it comes to the 2010s, there's some good underground artists. I feel like T.V. shows of this decade are way too overhyped. I feel like the whole "serialized drama" formula is getting old and repetitive. There are some shows that I like from this decade, but the majority feel overhyped and pretentious, in my opinion.

As for movies, they are hit and miss, which I guess isn't really new. But I don't like how studios are trying to push for digital cinema. While digital cameras have made many advancements over the years, they are still unable to capture the look and feel of film cameras. When I'm watching a movie that was filmed digitally, I can still tell the difference, when compared to a movie that's shot on film. This ties into another topic I made, which was the "newer is better mentality" toward technology. I find this to be an issue because a lot of newer technologies haven't completely developed yet (like digital video, streaming, etc.), yet people act like they are somehow superior, simply because they are newer.

And finally, there's fashion. I can appreciate any previous decade of fashion. They just seemed more creative and had a more appealing aesthetic. With the exception of the 00s, which were bland, but I would take the blandness of the 00s anyday, over the 2010s. I can't stand hipster fashion. It is just unappealing to me. In fact, it makes me want to vomit. I cannot fathom how this became popular.

I know you like 2010s culture, and I respect your opinion. I may sound a bit cynical in my post, but I'm just trying to share my honest opinion. Unlike the guy in the video, I am open to what the future holds, because I know things are always changing. Sure this current era isn't to my liking, but who knows? Perhaps the late 2010s and 2020s will be more to my liking.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/16/16 at 11:15 pm

Bieber has always been bad. I had to unfollow my cousin on Twitter/Instagram because she tweets about him non-stop! Like, my Instagram page was browseable until I started following my cousin back, now it's 90% Justin Bieber!  8-P Thankfully Twitter has the sense to have a mute button. Instagram is still broken though.

The rest you listed I find talent, except Silento, I don't know who they are. (am I living under a rock?) Especially Taylor Swift, she writes her own music. Her Bad Blood/Wildest Dreams songs are pretty bad, but everyone has misses now and then. I really love Shake It Off/Blank Space, how can you guys hate that? The beats and lyrics are so much fun!  ;D

There's even Youtube videos of rabbits and hamsters dancing to Shake It Off. That's how you know a song is instinctually good!

Sorry, but if I were her I would be laughing!  ;D

Written By: aja675 on 01/16/16 at 11:56 pm

Call Me Maybe was recorded in 2010 and was released in 2011. By the way, I find that it sounds like a throwback to the Y2K era, especially since it sounds like this 2000 song: BbrEAQfoikM

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 12:04 am

Actually when it comes to taste, people our age tend to be varied. There isn't a specific decade I prefer when it comes to pop culture. I like a mix of movies, T.V shows, and music from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and even 00s. When it comes to the 2010s, there's some good underground artists. I feel like T.V. shows of this decade are way too overhyped. I feel like the whole "serialized drama" formula is getting old and repetitive. There are some shows that I like from this decade, but the majority feel overhyped and pretentious, in my opinion.

As for movies, they are hit and miss, which I guess isn't really new. But I don't like how studios are trying to push for digital cinema. While digital cameras have made many advancements over the years, they are still unable to capture the look and feel of film cameras. When I'm watching a movie that was filmed digitally, I can still tell the difference, when compared to a movie that's shot on film. This ties into another topic I made, which was the "newer is better mentality" toward technology. I find this to be an issue because a lot of newer technologies haven't completely developed yet (like digital video, streaming, etc.), yet people act like they are somehow superior, simply because they are newer.

And finally, there's fashion. I can appreciate any previous decade of fashion. They just seemed more creative and had a more appealing aesthetic. With the exception of the 00s, which were bland, but I would take the blandness of the 00s anyday, over the 2010s. I can't stand hipster fashion. It is just unappealing to me. In fact, it makes me want to vomit. I cannot fathom how this became popular.

I know you like 2010s culture, and I respect your opinion. I may sound a bit cynical in my post, but I'm just trying to share my honest opinion. Unlike the guy in the video, I am open to what the future holds, because I know things are always changing. Sure this current era isn't to my liking, but who knows? Perhaps the late 2010s and 2020s will be more to my liking.

That's true, we obviously can't have the same test in everything. But I'd still think anyone who'd be in university or be a young adult in the 2010s would enjoy it. Your 20s in general seem to be a time when most people sit back and have fun!  And usually too old for "everything 10 years ago was better", but thankfully you don't seem to be enamoured with the 2000s so you are not those types.

What do you think about shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones (except the last season)?  I find even much older folks can appreciate Breaking Bad.

Oh yes, I remember the thread you made on that. While I do fancy myself to be a tech geek, I'll admit video is not at all my speciality. I don't find 2010s movies to be all that much better than any other decade, I can agree with you on that one. Movies nowadays have a very weird look, like someone got a smartphone and camcorder and started recording. They look dark and overly sharp.

I'm surprised you hate 2010s fashion, to me it looks like the first decade that bothered to dress classy since the 60s! I'm not sure which city you live in. I think fashion varies by city/climate, though there are general themes that the whole world follows. In Toronto, hipster fashion didn't hit big until summer of 2015 (I'm talking manbuns, floral t-shirts, sandals with socks, head to toe covered in tattoos, unkempt beards). Before that it was all about metrosexuals and looking as preppy as possible, and that makes 2012-2015 my favourite fashion era.

Even Winter of 2016 isn't all that bad, I guess winter clothes are more expensive so those are slower to change. People are still wearing peacoats, button-up collared shirts (with sweaters on top), skinny jeans, and thankfully uggs have died out. What I noticed is that pastel colours are really popular in the winter of 2016, like khaki-coloured jeans and shoes, I really need to buy some.

This exemplifies Toronto 2010s winter fashion

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0184/4436/products/Peacoat_Fit_1024x1024.jpg?v=1412916891

I think he looks classy. I think the beards could use some trimming, I prefer trimmed facial hair but most facial hair these days isn't.

And you can't tell me 2010s men's hair (for Caucasians) doesn't smack 70s/80s/90s/2000s hairstyles silly! (except the dreaded manbun)

2010s
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/4b/62/73/4b6273bb32fa853e108f7b343f10007c.jpg

2000s
http://hairstyleholic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Short-Spiky-Hairstyle-For-Men.jpg

1990s
http://ca.hellomagazine.com/imagenes/celebrities/2013051612625/david-beckhams-best-moments/0-64-741/england--a.jpg

2010s wins easily for me.  :D That guy's hot!

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 12:24 am

Call Me Maybe was recorded in 2010 and was released in 2011. By the way, I find that it sounds like a throwback to the Y2K era, especially since it sounds like this 2000 song:
BbrEAQfoikM

And that song sounds waaay too similar to this other 2000s song, particularly the chorus! Uncanny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uen-A9Yw67Y

Written By: mqg96 on 01/17/16 at 12:33 am

Exactly. Since 2009 or 2010 we've had a lot of great TV shows, whether it was continuing from the late 2000's or premiering throughout this current decade. I could come up with many from the top of my head. When it comes to fashion though, I prefer the 2008-2012 era when it was mostly name brands being the craze or urban style whatever you call it. Since 2013-present name brands haven't been that big anymore and the hipster style or whatever started popping up, like an attitude change in the fashion that wasn't appealing to me as before.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 12:39 am

Sorry, but if I were her I would be laughing!  ;D

;D I was laughing at her Twitter profile description, but I think she got the last laugh. Her Twitter profile said she was a "Belieber since 2010, Selanator since 2012 and Austin Mendes fan since 2015. @justinbieber @selenagomez @austinmendes please follow me back!!!" and then there's a billion pictures of them in her timeline  :o

Written By: Slim95 on 01/17/16 at 12:41 am

That's true, we obviously can't have the same test in everything. But I'd still think anyone who'd be in university or be a young adult in the 2010s would enjoy it. Your 20s in general seem to be a time when most people sit back and have fun!  And usually too old for "everything 10 years ago was better", but thankfully you don't seem to be enamoured with the 2000s so you are not those types.

I was born in 1995 and I don't love this era but I do have nostalgia for the 2000s. I do miss the late 2000s a lot. The mid 10's is better than the early 10's for me, but I'm just not into the culture that much. I do enjoy a couple of things like Periscope and the use of other mobile apps. I still love underground rap music. Drake isn't too bad either. Also the occasional awesome high quality mainstream songs we get like Uptown Funk is a great treat, unlike the early 10's where most of the music sounded the same and fake.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/17/16 at 12:43 am

;D I was laughing at her Twitter profile description, but I think she got the last laugh. Her Twitter profile said she was a "Belieber since 2010, Selanator since 2012 and Austin Mendes fan since 2015. @justinbieber @selenagomez @austinmendes please follow me back!!!" and then there's a billion pictures of them in her timeline  :o

She sounds like a pure generation Zer.  ???

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/17/16 at 12:59 am

What do you think about shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones (except the last season)?  I find even much older folks can appreciate Breaking Bad.

Oh yes, I remember the thread you made on that. While I do fancy myself to be a tech geek, I'll admit video is not at all my speciality. I don't find 2010s movies to be all that much better than any other decade, I can agree with you on that one. Movies nowadays have a very weird look, like someone got a smartphone and camcorder and started recording. They look dark and overly sharp.

I'm surprised you hate 2010s fashion, to me it looks like the first decade that bothered to dress classy since the 60s! I'm not sure which city you live in. I think fashion varies by city/climate, though there are general themes that the whole world follows. In Toronto, hipster fashion didn't hit big until summer of 2015 (I'm talking manbuns, floral t-shirts, sandals with socks, head to toe covered in tattoos, unkempt beards). Before that it was all about metrosexuals and looking as preppy as possible, and that makes 2012-2015 my favourite fashion era.

Even Winter of 2016 isn't all that bad, I guess winter clothes are more expensive so those are slower to change. People are still wearing peacoats, button-up collared shirts (with sweaters on top), skinny jeans, and thankfully uggs have died out. What I noticed is that pastel colours are really popular in the winter of 2016, like khaki-coloured jeans and shoes, I really need to buy some.

This exemplifies Toronto 2010s winter fashion

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0184/4436/products/Peacoat_Fit_1024x1024.jpg?v=1412916891

I think he looks classy. I think the beards could use some trimming, I prefer trimmed facial hair but most facial hair these days isn't.

And you can't tell me 2010s men's hair (for Caucasians) doesn't smack 70s/80s/90s/2000s hairstyles silly! (except the dreaded manbun)

2010s
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/4b/62/73/4b6273bb32fa853e108f7b343f10007c.jpg

2000s
http://hairstyleholic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Short-Spiky-Hairstyle-For-Men.jpg

1990s
http://ca.hellomagazine.com/imagenes/celebrities/2013051612625/david-beckhams-best-moments/0-64-741/england--a.jpg

2010s wins easily for me.  :D That guy's hot!

It depends. My mom was born in 1962, and she hates 80s pop. I do like music from this era, it's just not top 40 music. I think there is still lot of good metal music coming out, and there are still underground rock bands out there. Heck I even enjoy some of the underground dance music.. However, I refuse to force myself to like the current wave of pop music. There are many people on this site who are in their 20s or even teens, but still hate today's mainstream music. Once something comes along that's good, I will like it. And I will admit that I found the latter half of 2015 to be more bearable.

As for the hairstyles and fashion you posted for the 2010s, I'm sorry, that's exactly the type of fashion that I hate. That is straight up hipster fashion. I don't find those styles appealing at all. I hate undercuts. The hairstyles for the 90s and 00s were much easier on my eyes. I'd take any decade's hairstyle over the undercut of the 2010s. I don't know how much longer the trend will last, but I'll wait them out.

And then there's beards, which I'm getting tired of. But some people have the facial structure for them.

I haven't actually seen Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, however I have seen shows like The Walking Dead, The Blacklist, and Orange is the New Black, and I didn't like any of them. They were all overhyped. On of the few shows that really grabbed me in recent years, was the first season of True Detective. Unfortunately the second season was terrible.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/17/16 at 1:09 am

Exactly. Since 2009 or 2010 we've had a lot of great TV shows, whether it was continuing from the late 2000's or premiering throughout this current decade. I could come up with many from the top of my head. When it comes to fashion though, I prefer the 2008-2012 era when it was mostly name brands being the craze or urban style whatever you call it. Since 2013-present name brands haven't been that big anymore and the hipster style or whatever started popping up, like an attitude change in the fashion that wasn't appealing to me as before.

I just wish there was more variety when it came to T.V. shows. It seems like there's way too many serialized dramas nowadays.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/17/16 at 1:11 am

I still love underground rap music. Drake isn't too bad either. Also the occasional awesome high quality mainstream songs we get like Uptown Funk is a great treat, unlike the early 00's where most of the music sounded the same and fake.

Hahahahaha I'm with ya on this one bro! Drake had been coming up with consistent great songs for me since the late 2000's. His latest edition Hotline Bling has a dreamy sound to it. I agree with your opinion on underground music. I think the early 2000's music in 2002 & 2003 was good, but the teen pop music from 1998-2001 was overrated though.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 1:13 am

I was born in 1995 and I don't love this era but I do have nostalgia for the 2000s. I do miss the late 2000s a lot. The mid 10's is better than the early 10's for me, but I'm just not into the culture that much. I do enjoy a couple of things like Periscope and the use of other mobile apps. I still love underground rap music. Drake isn't too bad either. Also the occasional awesome high quality mainstream songs we get like Uptown Funk is a great treat, unlike the early 00's where most of the music sounded the same and fake.

1995 makes sense for not liking the entirety of the decade, because you guys weren't on campuses until 2012-2014 or thereabouts, so hating the early 2010s makes sense. 93ers went off to university mostly in 2010-2012 though (I went 2011, most my friends went 2010, I guess American late 93ers would go in 2012), so hating this decade comes off as a shock to me since we're practically the ones directing this decade, particularly in fashion. And I think most 93ers hate the 2000s with the exception of the early parts. Most people my age are still pretending to be "90s kids". So we love the 90s, hate the 2000s ("everything after 2002 sucks"), and our opinions of 2010s would be to love them (or so I thought...).

I love Uptown Funk! I always have to stop and listen to that on the radio when changing channels. Not too sure about Drake, I only pretend to like him ironically because it pisses people off... >_> and I say "Started from the bottom now we're here!" whenever I win anything. That's about it for my contact with Drake lol.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/17/16 at 1:17 am

^^^^ There's a huge difference in disliking a certain part of a decade because of your personal life and enjoying a certain part of a decade because of loving the pop culture at the time.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/17/16 at 1:19 am

("everything after 2002 sucks")

I hear more 90's kids saying "everything after 2003 sucks", or "the pop culture from 2004 & onwards is terrible". Post-2003 means "after 2003". Pre-2004 means "before 2004". It's not just people your age, it's almost everybody who grew up in the 90's in general who say it. We all know who agrees with that on here.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/17/16 at 1:25 am

1995 makes sense for not liking the entirety of the decade, because you guys weren't on campuses until 2012-2014 or thereabouts, so hating the early 2010s makes sense. 93ers went off to university mostly in 2010-2012 though (I went 2011, most my friends went 2010, I guess American late 93ers would go in 2012), so hating this decade comes off as a shock to me since we're practically the ones directing this decade, particularly in fashion. And I think most 93ers hate the 2000s with the exception of the early parts. Most people my age are still pretending to be "90s kids". So we love the 90s, hate the 2000s ("everything after 2002 sucks"), and our opinions of 2010s would be to love them (or so I thought...).

It's not fair to pigeonhole people's tastes based on their date of birth. Just because individuals of a specific age group are dictating a decade, does not automatically mean everyone within that same age group will like it. There are people born in 1983 who like today's pop culture, and there are kids born in 2003 who hate it.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/17/16 at 1:26 am

I hear more 90's kids saying "everything after 2003 sucks", or "the pop culture from 2004 & onwards is terrible". Post-2003 means "after 2003". Pre-2004 means "before 2004". It's not just people your age, it's almost everybody who grew up in the 90's in general who say it. We all know who agrees with that on here.

You're talking about me, aren't you. :P

Written By: mqg96 on 01/17/16 at 1:30 am

I just wish there was more variety when it came to T.V. shows. It seems like there's way too many serialized dramas nowadays.

I see what you're saying. Well, keep in mind there are many people who are big fans of action shows or dramatic thrillers. So it depends on your tastes. Maybe you're one of the type of people who wish there were more popular comedies or sitcoms on TV? Not sure. My favorite shows currently running right now are The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Big Bang Theory, The Flash, Arrow, Mike Tyson Mysteries, Parasyte, Agents of Shield, and I just got through watching a show called Empire which is about a hip hop entertainment company, and I was surprised with how decent it was. Haven't watched enough episodes yet to give my full opinion on it.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 1:32 am

Really? I mostly hear 2001, because of 9/11 and that's when "all innocence was lost". I've heard it from the other years as late as 2007 too though, but those are guys trying to justify that their childhood was also 90s, not usually from actual 90s kids lol.

It's not fair to pigeonhole people's tastes based on their date of birth. Just because an age group is dictating a decade, does not automatically mean everyone within that age group will like it. There are people born in 1983 who like today's pop culture, and there are kids born in 2003 who hate it.

Yeah, I'm sorry :( From going around these boards I notice people usually dislike their preteen/teen years, and sadness during personal life seems to bleed in for dislike for popular culture, but it obviously can't be true for everybody.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/17/16 at 1:48 am

Yeah, I'm sorry :( From going around these boards I notice people usually dislike their preteen/teen years, and sadness during personal life seems to bleed in for dislike for popular culture, but it obviously can't be true for everybody.

For me personally those years (ages 12-14) were the best years of my life. I think they will always be my favourite period in time. Everything went so well for me in my life then.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/17/16 at 2:49 am

Really? I mostly hear 2001, because of 9/11 and that's when "all innocence was lost". I've heard it from the other years as late as 2007 too though, but those are guys trying to justify that their childhood was also 90s, not usually from actual 90s kids lol.

No worries, dude  :). I've noticed that too on these boards, occasionally. I guess it depends on the person. I am actually doing better in my personal life. I just don't care much for today's culture. I know I kind of go on rants, but trust me, I'm not a downer, when it comes to my personality  :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/17/16 at 3:54 am

I think that is the wrong opinion to have. Why does it seem America loses it's innocence everyday? "Everything after 2002" is fine, though. 2003 is a good year but it lives under the shadow of 2000, 2001 and 2002 and those core 2000's influences are... well... 8-P

People are actually saying as late as 2007!?!? Huh!? How is 2004-2006 anything like the 90's aside from some very minor holdovers? It was clearly 2000's in every way, shape or form. First I hear some guy say 2005 is the early 2000's and now I'm hearing the early 00's (or 90's. Whatever) lasted from 2000-2007? Did the mid-late 00's never happen??

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/17/16 at 7:28 am

It depends when it comes to news events and politics then yes most 90's kids typically say, 'Everything after 2001 sucks'

However when it comes to pop culture (especially child centric culture) its typically, 'Everything after 2003(or 2004) sucks'

Written By: Slim95 on 01/17/16 at 11:43 am

I think that is the wrong opinion to have. Why does it seem America loses it's innocence everyday? "Everything after 2002" is fine, though. 2003 is a good year but it lives under the shadow of 2000, 2001 and 2002 and those core 2000's influences are... well... 8-P

People are actually saying as late as 2007!?!? Huh!? How is 2004-2006 anything like the 90's aside from some very minor holdovers? It was clearly 2000's in every way, shape or form. First I hear some guy say 2005 is the early 2000's and now I'm hearing the early 00's (or 90's. Whatever) lasted from 2000-2007? Did the mid-late 00's never happen??

People seem to forget that the 2000s are 2000-2009. That's the 2000s decade. A few people these days have trouble knowing the difference between 2010s and 2000s and think the 90s are in the 2000s. Mostly kids online I find. I would say everything after 2002 had no more 90s holdovers. Even the early 2000s in general didn't have a lot of 90s holdovers only a few late 90s holdovers.

Written By: Toon on 01/17/16 at 12:32 pm

Saying that "all innocence was lost in 2001" or that "everything from 2001 onward sucks" is literally one of the most stupidest things I've ever heard. Usually from people who're overly negative and don't take the time to actually see what the world is actually like (or just people who're overly nostalgic and just can't cope with modern day so they'll always use excuses such as 9/11 as to why they can't enjoy the 21st century).They're probably people who say things like "9/11 is why I can't eat my waffles with a smile on my face anymore" or "These kids are having fun, but because of 9/11 there is something less innocent about it" (these are jokes obviously, but I like to crack jokes to brighten the mood a bit). By that logic 2020s, 2070s, or hell even 2150s sucks just because they were all after the year 2001.  And what's with the over obsession with being a 90s kid anyway? What's funny is that in a few years being a '00s kid will be the big and hip thing. Then we'll see tons of 2003 borns talking about how they mainly grew up in the 2000s instead of the 2010s.

People seem to forget that the 2000s are 2000-2009. That's the 2000s decade. A few people these days have trouble knowing the difference between 2010s and 2000s and think the 90s are in the 2000s. Mostly kids online I find. I would say everything after 2002 had no more 90s holdovers. Even the early 2000s in general didn't have a lot of 90s holdovers only a few late 90s holdovers.

Anyone who knows anything about how time works will understand that a decade's first year has a 0 (1990,2000,2010) at the end and the late year has a 9 (1999,2009,2019) at the end. The 2010s is very different from the 2000s. This is obvious when comparing the years. 2016 isn't like 2006 for example. Just look at what was trendy/popular back then and now. The only '00s years that feel similar to the '10s are late 2008-2009. But saying that the 2000s and 2010s feel the same just because the late 2 years of the 2000s (which aren't even core 2000s years) feel similar to today is stupid. And plus even late 2008-2009 is starting to look pretty different then 2015-2016. By the late '10s and early '20s the '00s as a whole would look like a pretty old time period.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 12:48 pm

2007 when the iPhone came out and "everyone stopped talking to each other and playing outside". You know people aren't late 90s or even early 2000s kids if they think people weren't addicted to their phones before iPhone.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 1:07 pm

It depends when it comes to news events and politics then yes most 90's kids typically say, 'Everything after 2001 sucks'

However when it comes to pop culture (especially child centric culture) its typically, 'Everything after 2003(or 2004) sucks'

I find it hard to argue with them though. Not 9/11 because I'm Canadian and barely remember that. All I remember about 9/11 is some crazy guy tried to arson a local mosque, which also a doubled as a private elementary school. I thought he was going to come for my school next because I had Turkish kids in my class LOL

2002/2003 when the Iraq War was starting gave me a lot of anxiety. I felt really sad and angry about that.

Pop culture wise I agree. Mid-2003 is when it got lame for me, but I kept doing kid stuff until mid-2004.

Edit: I mean, it's not objectively true,  but that is what a lot of people say.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/17/16 at 1:23 pm

Um, what? 2000 and 2001 (primarily the earlier half) was not that much different from 1999. 2002 was when things were really changing, but there was still a strong late 90s influence. If you're referring to core 90s influence, you could be right. However even 1999 had no core 90s influence.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 1:43 pm

Saying that "all innocence was lost in 2001" or that "everything from 2001 onward sucks" is literally one of the most stupidest things I've ever heard. Usually from people who're overly negative and don't take the time to actually see what the world is actually like (or just people who're overly nostalgic and just can't cope with modern day so they'll always use excuses such as 9/11 as to why they can't enjoy the 21st century).They're probably people who say things like "9/11 is why I can't eat my waffles with a smile on my face anymore" or "These kids are having fun, but because of 9/11 there is something less innocent about it" (these are jokes obviously, but I like to crack jokes to brighten the mood a bit). By that logic 2020s, 2070s, or hell even 2150s sucks just because they were all after the year 2001.  And what's with the over obsession with being a 90s kid anyway? What's funny is that in a few years being a '00s kid will be the big and hip thing. Then we'll see tons of 2003 borns talking about how they mainly grew up in the 2000s instead of the 2010s.

I don't wanna live in a world where someone born in 20XX isn't still being breastfed.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/17/16 at 2:06 pm

I agree with this. How can you say everything after 2001 sucks because of 9/11!? Culturally and even technologically, 2002 was much more like 2000 and 2001 than it was like 2004 or even 2003. Politically, it was before the Iraq War and people liked Bush which is also very different to what was happening 2003 onward and I even knew some Bush supporters in 2000. Couldn't get away with that in 2004. It's always people who were millions of miles away from the attack making it all about them and their feelings. They're just like those advertisers who give you 10% discounts on 9/11. Always trying to get fake empathy/sympathy ("I saw it on my TV and it made me sad!! It's all about me, me, me!"). America "lost it's innocence" during the first WTC attack, the OKC bombing, Columbine, 9/11, Sandy Hook and the Boston Bombing. How much f!cking innocence does America have to loose!? Check out this joke article, it's pretty funny: http://www.clickhole.com/article/7-classic-90s-toys-werent-fun-anymore-after-911-333 It's like that other forum where we said that 9/11 had no effect on our lives. I know so many people my age who I either grew up with or met recently and they'll even tell me that 9/11 didn't change things for them but 2003/2004 is when things started to appeal less and less to them. 2000-2002 was still so different from the rest of the decade, 9/11 or not.

I find it hard to argue with them though. Not 9/11 because I'm Canadian and barely remember that. All I remember about 9/11 is some crazy guy tried to arson a local mosque, which also a doubled as a private elementary school. I thought he was going to come for my school next because I had Turkish kids in my class LOL

2002/2003 when the Iraq War was starting gave me a lot of anxiety. I felt really sad and angry about that.

Pop culture wise I agree. Mid-2003 is when it got lame for me, but I kept doing kid stuff until mid-2004.

Edit: I mean, it's not objectively true,  but that is what a lot of people say.

I actually hear most people say the same thing as I do on this forum except they view 2003 in a better light than I do. 1998-2002 is definitely it's own era that's more like a 90's sub era than a part of the 2000's.

2007 when the iPhone came out and "everyone stopped talking to each other and playing outside". You know people aren't late 90s or even early 2000s kids if they think people weren't addicted to their phones before iPhone.  ;D

Honestly, people got addicted to their cell phones around 2005. That's when I remember all these kids getting them.

Um, what? 2000 and 2001 (primarily the earlier half) was not that much different from 1999. 2002 was when things were really changing, but there was still a strong late 90s influence. If you're referring to core 90s influence, you could be right. However even 1999 had no core 90s influence.

2002 wasn't that different from 1998 and 1999, either. It's 2003 when the changes began and the core 2000's started showing up. The early 00's might as well be the late 90's (except 1997 which felt more mid 90s) or 1998/1999 might as well be the early 2000's. There were still a bit of core 90's holdovers during 1998-2002.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/17/16 at 2:24 pm

But it wasn't that popular during the late 2000s. People still used flip phones at the time and most of them switched to smartphones around 2010 to 2011.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/17/16 at 2:30 pm

Yeah, but these people say that because they're biased as sh!t. You can't really say to them that the 2000s are 2000-2009. Since they'll probably say that they hate the decade so much, it just seems forgettable towards them. Honestly, I don't know why the hell do they think 9/11 ruined everything, especially towards kids. Just because we were kids during the 2000s, that doesn't mean we'll understand clearly about politics. I never even cared about politics until Obama became president of the United Freaking States.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 2:46 pm

But it wasn't that popular during the late 2000s. People still used flip phones at the time and most of them switched to smartphones around 2010 to 2011.

Yeah, I graduated high school in 2010 and you could count on your hands the number of people with an iPhone or Android. Blackberries/texting phones were pretty popular though; flip phones were getting a bit old by then. A lot of people still didn't have cellphones, like 50% of my class, but that's for poverty reasons.

But people were still addicted to their phones whether it was an iPhone or a Razr or some Nokia, even in 2002.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/17/16 at 3:27 pm

Yeah, I graduated high school in 2010 and you could count on your hands the number of people with an iPhone or Android. Blackberries/texting phones were pretty popular though; flip phones were getting a bit old by then. A lot of people still didn't have cellphones, like 50% of my class, but that's for poverty reasons.

But people were still addicted to their phones whether it was an iPhone or a Razr or some Nokia, even in 2002.

But they weren't that addictive compared to iPhones. All you could do on them was just text, call and play terrible games on it.

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/16 at 4:11 pm

But they weren't that addictive compared to iPhones. All you could do on them was just text, call and play terrible games on it.

Texting people is addictive! There were people who sent and received thousands of messages everyday. People would get phone anxiety and check their phones every 5 seconds to see if they received a text. It really isn't all that different from Whatsapp or Twitter or whatever is supposed to be the root cause of societal decay nowadays.

Even before cellphones, there are people like my mom who were talking on the landline phone 24/7. Who knew talking with people could be so addictive? LOL

Written By: bchris02 on 01/18/16 at 9:04 pm

Cher Lloyd is early 2010s isn't she?

New Taylor Swift, at least her 2014 stuff doesn't sound too different from early 2010s stuff. It's just less electric sounding. Her songs like Bad Blood and Wildest Dreams are pretty awful though, I think we can put those in the teen pop category lol.

Cher Lloyd has mostly been mid '10s, at least the songs I know.  She didn't have anything in 2015 but she had some pretty big hits from 2012-2014.

Taylor Swift has been successful at altering her system to stay relevant throughout the years.  I liked her until her most recent album.

Except not very many people had the iPhone in 2007.  It really started to catch on in 2009 and 2010.

As for '90s holdovers...they gradually diminished before dying out completely in 2006.  How did this thread become about the '90s anyways?

Written By: 2001 on 01/18/16 at 9:50 pm

Cher Lloyd has mostly been mid '10s, at least the songs I know.  She didn't have anything in 2015 but she had some pretty big hits from 2012-2014.

Taylor Swift has been successful at altering her system to stay relevant throughout the years.  I liked her until her most recent album.

Except not very many people had the iPhone in 2007.  It really started to catch on in 2009 and 2010.

As for '90s holdovers...they gradually diminished before dying out completely in 2006.  How did this thread become about the '90s anyways?

Yes, I agree. I'm just reporting what I see on every YouTube video that is even vaguely related to the 90s/early 2000s. Those strange comments are everywhere.

You're right, her first album came out 2012. I don't know about you, but I consider that early 2010s >_> but her second album (that I've never listened to) is definitely mid-2010s.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/18/16 at 10:24 pm

Definitely. Pretty much any song that was produced by Dr. Luke in 2012 and any song with just the slightest dubstep influence sounds dated now. Remember Flo Rida's hits from that time period? Those sound incredibly passé today. His most current hit "My House" is much better (it has a bit of an old school vibe to it). The electronic pop and electronic dance music sounds "phased out" compared to modern songs. "Don't You Worry Child", "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)", "Thrift Shop", "Die Young", "Diamonds", "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together", "Feel So Close", "Too Close", "I Knew You Were Trouble", "What Now", "Sail", "As Long As You Love Me", "Let's Go", "Payphone", "The Fighter", "Give Your Heart a Break", "We Are Young", "Some Nights", "Carry On", and "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)" are just a sample of songs that have lost their contemporary touch, because technology has evolved since then and we have new equipment to record new songs. 2013 music is also starting to show its age.

The songs from 2011-2013 that don't sound old are the R&B songs, the indie acts, and the regular country songs (not bro-country). Think Bruno Mars, Carrie Underwood, Imagine Dragons, Lana Del Rey, and Coldplay. To be fair, 2011-2013 music has more in common with today than it does with 2010 and earlier. 2011-2013 is comfortably the true early 2010s. Besides just the trends, another way to tell that the early 2010s sounds dated is by the loudness and the energy of it. It was much more fast-paced and upbeat, with lyrics dealing more with heartbreak and breakups and the music sending you into an emotional trance of euphoria. The mid 2010's is much mellower and a lot more rich, with lyrical themes centering more around flirting or inner thoughts and the music putting you more into a consistent groove while forcing you to participate in the song's tempo. Early 2010's was more directed at another person; Mid 2010's is more focused on ones-self.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/18/16 at 11:32 pm

2012 isn't mid 2010's, it's considered early 2010s. Everything after May 2013 is mid 2010's. Also, the last I heard from Cher Lloyd was in 2012.

Written By: Zelek2 on 01/19/16 at 3:27 am

Yes, I agree. I'm just reporting what I see on every YouTube video that is even vaguely related to the 90s/early 2000s. Those strange comments are everywhere.

You're right, her first album came out 2012. I don't know about you, but I consider that early 2010s >_> but her second album (that I've never listened to) is definitely mid-2010s.

It seems that around the late 00s/"early 10s", there were many people born in the late 80s/early 90s on YouTube comments saying how pop culture went downhill after 2004 on YouTube comments.

However, lately, I've noticed that there are 11 year olds (yes, actual 11 year olds - or so they claim) who say things like: "Music was so much better in 2011!" Seriously, just look at a YouTube music video from 2010-2012, and you'll see all these people saying "Man, I'm 9 years old and I remember these good times." ::)

Written By: Zelek2 on 01/19/16 at 3:29 am

I know you can't pigeonhole people based on birthdate, but from what I've seen of people born in 96, they seem to think "Everything after 2005/6/7 sucks", at least in terms of "kid culture".

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/19/16 at 4:47 am

It seems that around the late 00s/"early 10s", there were many people born in the late 80s/early 90s on YouTube comments saying how pop culture went downhill after 2004 on YouTube comments.

I dunno why they say 'after'. It's not like 2004 was so wildly different than 2005 or 2006. It went downhill during.

However, lately, I've noticed that there are 11 year olds (yes, actual 11 year olds - or so they claim) who say things like: "Music was so much better in 2011!" Seriously, just look at a YouTube music video from 2010-2012, and you'll see all these people saying "Man, I'm 9 years old and I remember these good times." ::)

I know you can't pigeonhole people based on birthdate, but from what I've seen of people born in 96, they seem to think "Everything after 2005/6/7 sucks", at least in terms of "kid culture".

I... Uhh...

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/confused/smileys-confused-869513.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused002.gif

sigh...

http://goodereader.com/blog/uploads/images/angry-old-man.jpg

God damn kids!

Written By: aja675 on 01/19/16 at 5:10 am

I get why that could happen, because there were times when I was 9 when I found myself longing for my preschool days.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/19/16 at 12:11 pm

2012 isn't mid 2010's, it's considered early 2010s. Everything after May 2013 is mid 2010's. Also, the last I heard from Cher Lloyd was in 2012.

Numerically, yes, but 2012 was somewhat of a hybrid year culturally with the early '10s phasing out and the mid '10s coming in.  Lady Gaga wasn't near as big in 2012 as she was in 2010 and 2011.  Call Me Maybe of course was the song of the year that year. Cher Lloyd debuted as did Macklemore.  2012 was also the year that viral YouTube videos started to have a bigger impact on pop music, starting with Gangnam Style.  By the end of 2012, the early '10s feel started to fade very fast. 

2012 was to the early '10s what 2009 was to the late '00s.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/19/16 at 1:13 pm

Numerically, yes, but 2012 was somewhat of a hybrid year culturally with the early '10s phasing out and the mid '10s coming in.  Lady Gaga wasn't near as big in 2012 as she was in 2010 and 2011.  Call Me Maybe of course was the song of the year that year. Cher Lloyd debuted as did Macklemore.  2012 was also the year that viral YouTube videos started to have a bigger impact on pop music, starting with Gangnam Style.  By the end of 2012, the early '10s feel started to fade very fast. 

Even culturally, for me I see 2012 totally early 10's and 2013 being the year of change into the mid 2010's.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/19/16 at 1:27 pm

Meh I don't know about that. 2012 was still predominantly an early 10's year with the late part of that year being the start of the transition from early 10's to mid 10's culture.

Early & mid 2009 wasn't predominantly late 00's culture or early 10's culture, it was half n' half, or part of the transitional period from late 00's to early 10's culture, which had already started in late 2008.

I consider late 2009-mid 2012 as early 10's culture. With 2010-2011 being the quintessential early 10's school year.

Late 2012-mid 2013 was the transition from early 10's to mid 10's culture pop culturally, but late 2013-mid 2014 was the transition from early 10's to mid 10's politically/worldly.

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/16 at 1:54 pm

I don't think you can say right now what is early and what is mid, it might be premature. For all we know 2009-2014 will be seen as early 2010s and 2015-2021 will be seen as late 2010s when Trump becomes president LOL.

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/16 at 2:08 pm

I'm nostalgic for the 2010s  :D I'm nostalgic for 6 months ago when I went to Florida LOL

Someone needs to shut the "everything sucks after 2011" kid up though. The 2010s just keep getting better, everyone knows that. :P

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/19/16 at 2:30 pm

I'm nostalgic for the 2010s  :D I'm nostalgic for 6 months ago when I went to Florida LOL

Someone needs to shut the "everything sucks after 2011" kid up though. The 2010s just keep getting better, everyone knows that. :P

What if Donald Trump becomes president though?

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/16 at 2:34 pm

Well according to the laws of Physics, Trump must be a damn good President  :o

Written By: Howard on 01/19/16 at 2:40 pm

It will be the end of the world as we know it.

Written By: aja675 on 01/24/16 at 10:25 pm

It was much more fast-paced and upbeat, with lyrics dealing more with heartbreak and breakups and the music sending you into an emotional trance of euphoria. The mid 2010's is much mellower and a lot more rich, with lyrical themes centering more around flirting or inner thoughts and the music putting you more into a consistent groove while forcing you to participate in the song's tempo. Early 2010's was more directed at another person; Mid 2010's is more focused on ones-self.
Pfo-8z86x80
lES1SB9SqQw
These would be good examples of the euphoric vibe you would find in early '10s dance/dance-pop music. 

Written By: tv on 01/24/16 at 11:28 pm

Call Me Maybe was recorded in 2010 and was released in 2011. By the way, I find that it sounds like a throwback to the Y2K era, especially since it sounds like this 2000 song: BbrEAQfoikM
I remember M2M. Haven't heard about them since they had that one hit song.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/28/16 at 12:09 am

Too much ballad-type music and general slowness. Nothing to dance to or chill to in the CAD/USA music industry anyway, caribbean, Spanish &  J-pop music is still fantasic as always. The late 00s had its share of slow, moody music too like what Owl City and Kid Cudi put out, but there was something in that music that took you on a journey, something about the synths was very well done. Now Taylor Swift, Adele, Sam Smith, Rihanna and Co put out songs with recycled beats and melodies. Even JB is forgettable now. Dance music is all electronic with the same tempo and tone, but nothing new has come out of that genre since 2009. And there is alot of pretentious attitude type tone, or tweenage girl oriented boy band nonsense that is always on the billboards. Self-awareness is an alien concept now.

With the exception of a few notable songs, few tunes from the past 4 years come to memory. Hopefully with songs like Uptown Funk and Baby it's U hitting the charts big time:
-Z6SSAWLn8s
The industry will return to music that is intended to be fun/feel good to listen rather than slow, pretentious, cinematic, gritty noise that's on the radio 24/7.

Written By: aja675 on 01/30/16 at 7:27 am

What would you say would be the latest song that could be called dated?

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/30/16 at 11:51 am

Pfo-8z86x80
lES1SB9SqQw
These would be good examples of the euphoric vibe you would find in early '10s dance/dance-pop music.

Those are some pretty good examples, yeah. I'm not familiar with those songs though. When I describe early 2010's music and the vibes these are the songs that I think about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y6smkh6c-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zCy3EWs9Q0

What would you say would be the latest song that could be called dated?

I think the latest song is a bit too specific, but I will say that 2013 is the latest year to feel dated, particularly the dance songs. If I had to name a song I would say that "#SELFIE" sounds dated though. Probably the only 2014 song to sound dated.

Check for new replies or respond here...