inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2016 Academy Awards

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/16 at 9:06 am

A full list of nominations for the 88th Academy Awards, to be held in Los Angeles on 28th February 2016.

Best Picture
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

Best Director
Lenny Abrahamson – Room
Alejandro G. Iñárritu – The Revenant
Tom McCarthy – Spotlight
Adam McKay – The Big Short
George Miller – Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Actor
Bryan Cranston – Trumbo as Dalton Trumbo
Matt Damon – The Martian as Mark Watney
Leonardo DiCaprio – The Revenant as Hugh Glass
Michael Fassbender – Steve Jobs as Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne – The Danish Girl as Lili Elbe / Einar Wegener

Best Actress
Cate Blanchett – Carol as Carol Aird
Brie Larson – Room as Joy "Ma" Newsome
Jennifer Lawrence – Joy as Joy Mangano
Charlotte Rampling – 45 Years as Kate Mercer
Saoirse Ronan – Brooklyn as Eilis Lacey

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale – The Big Short as Michael Burry
Tom Hardy – The Revenant as John Fitzgerald
Mark Ruffalo – Spotlight as Michael Rezendes
Mark Rylance – Bridge of Spies as Rudolf Abel
Sylvester Stallone – Creed as Rocky Balboa

Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Jason Leigh – The Hateful Eight as Daisy Domergue a.k.a. "The Prisoner"
Rooney Mara – Carol as Therese Belivet
Rachel McAdams – Spotlight as Sacha Pfeiffer
Alicia Vikander – The Danish Girl as Gerda Wegener
Kate Winslet – Steve Jobs as Joanna Hoffman

Best Original Screenplay
Bridge of Spies – Matt Charman, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen
Ex Machina – Alex Garland
Inside Out – Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve, Josh Cooley, and Ronnie del Carmen
Spotlight – Josh Singer and Tom McCarthy
Straight Outta Compton – Jonathan Herman, Andrea Berloff, S. Leigh Savidge, and Alan Wenkus

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Big Short – Charles Randolph and Adam McKay
Brooklyn – Nick Hornby
Carol – Phyllis Nagy
The Martian – Drew Goddard
Room – Emma Donoghue

Best Animated Feature Film
Anomalisa
Boy & the World
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
When Marnie Was There

Best Foreign Language Film
A War (Denmark)
Embrace of the Serpent (Colombia)
Mustang (France)
Son of Saul (Hungary)
Theeb (Jordan)

Best Documentary – Feature
Amy
Cartel Land
The Look of Silence
What Happened, Miss Simone?
Winter on Fire

Best Documentary – Short Subject
Body Team 12
Chau, Beyond the Lines
Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah
A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness
Last Day of Freedom

Best Live Action Short Film
Alles wird gut
Ave Maria
Day One
Shok
Stutterer

Best Animated Short Film
Historia de un oso
Mi ne mozhem zhit bez kosmosa
Prologue
Sanjay’s Super Team
World of Tomorrow

Best Original Score
Thomas Newman – Bridge of Spies
Carter Burwell – Carol
Jóhann Jóhannsson – Sicario
John Williams – Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Ennio Morricone – The Hateful Eight

Best Original Song
Earned It (Abel Tesfaye, Ahmad Balshe, Jason Daheala Quenneville, Stephan Moccio) – Fifty Shades of Grey
Manta Ray (Antony Hegarty) – Racing Extinction
Simple Song #3 (David Lang) – Youth
Til It Happens to You (Diane Warren, Lady Gaga) – The Hunting Ground
Writing's on the Wall (Jimmy Napes, Sam Smith) – Spectre

Best Sound Editing
The Martian
The Revenant
Sicario
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Best Sound Mixing
Bridge of Spies
The Martian
The Revenant

Best Production Design
Bridge of Spies
The Danish Girl
The Martian
The Revenant

Best Cinematography
Carol – Ed Lachman
The Hateful Eight – Robert Richardson
Mad Max: Fury Road – John Seale
The Revenant – Emmanuel Lubezki
Sicario – Roger Deakins

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
The Revenant

Best Costume Design
Carol – Sandy Powell
Cinderella – Sandy Powell
The Danish Girl – Paco Delgado
Mad Max: Fury Road – Jenny Beavan
The Revenant – Jacqueline West

Best Film Editing
The Big Short – Hank Corwin
Mad Max: Fury Road – Margaret Sixel
The Revenant – Stephen Mirrione
Spotlight – Tom McArdle
Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Maryann Brandon and Mary Jo Markey

Best Visual Effects
Ex Machina
The Martian
The Revenant

Subject: Re: Oscars Nominations 2016

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/16 at 9:07 am

Once again I have not seen many of the chosen films. I will try and watch as many as I can, so that I can chose the best of the nominated before the big day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/16 at 11:03 am

Steven Spielberg has set the record for the most best picture nominations for an individual producer with nine, following his latest nod for Cold War thriller Bridge of Spies.  Of those nominations, he's won twice - for Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/16 at 11:04 am

Here's the nominations tally:

The Revenant - 12   
Mad Max: Fury Road - 10 
The Martian - 7
Spotlight - 6 
Bridge of Spies - 6
Carol - 6 
The Big Short - 5 
Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 5 

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/16 at 12:21 pm

Not as excited as I'd hoped to be.

I really liked the walk and I was hoping for some nominations it doesn't look like it got any

I'm happy and hoping  drew Goddard wins for The Martian. Drew Goddard worked with Joss whedon. He wrote 5 eps of Buffy and 5 eps angel. He and Joss wrote Cabin in the woods and drew directed it. Basically drew is an extension of joss so if drew wins joss wins too!  8)  (Q-Logic  :P  )

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/16 at 12:22 pm

Not as excited as I'd hoped to be.

I really liked the walk and I was hoping for some nominations it doesn't look like it got any

I'm happy and hoping  drew Goddard wins for The Martian. Drew Goddard worked with Joss whedon. He wrote 5 eps of Buffy and 5 eps angel. He and Joss wrote Cabin in the woods and drew directed it. Basically drew is an extension of joss so if drew wins joss wins too!  8)  (Q-Logic  :P  )
Nothing for "The Lady in the Van"!

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/16 at 12:23 pm

Nothing for "The Lady in the Van"!

Wait! That's a movie? Was she kidnapped? Is she driving the van?
What kind of van? Is she a soccer mom driving car pool????

Sooo many questions!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/16 at 12:25 pm

Wait! That's a movie? Was she kidnapped? Is she driving the van?
What kind of van? Is she a soccer mom driving car pool????

Sooo many questions!
Maggie Smith has lost out!

The Lady in the Van
http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt3722070/

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/16 at 5:45 pm

Straight Out of Compton got stiffed.

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/16 at 8:01 pm

Straight Out of Compton got stiffed.

Yeah it did but I expected that Hollywood likes to give one rap award a decade but they were afraid to make SOC the one this decade  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/16 at 3:31 am

How can a film with an original release date of 2013 be up for an Oscar, the film  "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" is nominated for the Academy Award for Best Makeup and Hairstyling?

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/16 at 5:50 am

How can a film with an original release date of 2013 be up for an Oscar, the film  "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" is nominated for the Academy Award for Best Makeup and Hairstyling?

Well he's 100 yrs old so it took him a while to get here.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/16 at 7:23 am

Well he's 100 yrs old so it took him a while to get here.  ;D
It is his fault for disappearing?

Mind you it is a very good film!

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/16 at 10:58 am

It is his fault for disappearing?

Mind you it is a very good film!

Another one that I seemed to have missed

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/16 at 11:08 am

Another one that I seemed to have missed
I saw it twice in three successive day in mid 2014.

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/16 at 11:30 am

I saw it twice in three successive day in mid 2014.

Wow

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/16 at 11:33 am

Wow
...and I thought it would have already been nominated for Best Foreign Film much earlier. I am surprised to see it in this years nominations.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/16 at 12:24 pm

John Williams has earned his 50th Oscar nomination for his score for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. He now has the most nods of any living person. The overall record holder - with 60 nominations - is Walt Disney.

Written By: whistledog on 01/15/16 at 4:59 pm

I want Stallone to win Best Supporting Actor.  For a while there, he had an unbroken run of getting a Golden Raspberry Nomination for almost every film he did since Rhinestone in 1983.  It's about time he gets a real award!

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/16 at 8:10 pm

...and I thought it would have already been nominated for Best Foreign Film much earlier. I am surprised to see it in this years nominations.

So maybe it didn't get played here until 2015 and that's why it's nominated now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/16 at 4:54 am

So maybe it didn't get played here until 2015 and that's why it's nominated now.
Google has the US release date as May 1st 2015, yes indeed, what took them so long?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/16 at 7:38 am

Oscars head Cheryl Boone Isaacs is taking action to "alter the make-up" of their membership, after Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith's refusal to attend because of the mostly white nominees.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35348062

Written By: snozberries on 01/19/16 at 8:44 am

Oscars head Cheryl Boone Isaacs is taking action to "alter the make-up" of their membership, after Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith's refusal to attend because of the mostly white nominees.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35348062

Janet Huber (the first Auny Viv) pretty much put Jada Pinkett (and Will Smith) on blast for her video.

I don't disagree with what she has to say but spike and nada are fifth about the oscars needing a shake up.

Things looked good a couple years ago but the recent backslide is disappointing.

Straight outta Compton deserved a nom...  Concussion did not (at least that's what I hear from my friends who have seen it) everyone warned me away from it.... They all saw it for free and said it wasn't worth the ticket
Price. It was too slow and too dry and the focus shoulda been on the players not the dr.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/16 at 4:21 am

Oscar-winning actor George Clooney has accused the Academy Awards of "moving in the wrong direction" amid controversy over lack of diversity.

For the second year running, no black or minority actors have been nominated in the four Oscars acting categories.

Star Wars actress Lupita Nyong'o also said she is "disappointed by the lack of inclusion" in the nominations.

Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs vowed to review its membership as stars pledged to boycott the ceremony.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35360113

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/16 at 11:43 am

Oscar-winning actor George Clooney has accused the Academy Awards of "moving in the wrong direction" amid controversy over lack of diversity.

For the second year running, no black or minority actors have been nominated in the four Oscars acting categories.

Star Wars actress Lupita Nyong'o also said she is "disappointed by the lack of inclusion" in the nominations.

Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs vowed to review its membership as stars pledged to boycott the ceremony.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35360113

I don't want the academy to vote them in just beacause they are black I mean if the performances are worthy then they should be included. 

Michael B. Jordan have a good performance in Creed
Ryan Cooglar (Creed) and F. Gary Gray (Compton) are worthy directors
Compton could've gotten a nod for best pic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/16 at 11:45 am

I don't want the academy to vote them in just beacause they are black I mean if the performances are worthy then they should be included. 

Michael B. Jordan have a good performance in Creed
Ryan Cooglar (Creed) and F. Gary Gray (Compton) are worthy directors
Compton could've gotten a nod for best pic.

Exactly!

If the film and acting are good a nomination it deserves.

Any chance of Ride Along as best movie in their books?

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/16 at 11:57 am

Exactly!

If the film and acting are good a nomination it deserves.

Any chance of Ride Along as best movie in their books?

Oh for sure! Kevin Hart would win it hands down they are afraid to nominate him bc they know no one else stands a chance with him in the running. 

I just made myself  8-P  :D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/20/16 at 3:42 pm

I don't usually watch the Oscars (although I'm always front row center for the Turner Classic Movies month-long film marathon preceding the awards) I will watch because I want to see Leonardo DiCaprio win an Oscar. If he can't win the Oscar after sleeping in a bear carcass I have lost faith in humanity.

And people are acting surprised by the all-white noms. I literally am not. When the Oscars were conceived, Hollywood was all-white. The first ceremony was held in 1927. IT took to 1939 for Hattie McDaniel to win for "Gone with the Wind" and even then, her character was a "loyal" slave to a white mistress. And the rest of the winners have been decades apart...but people want to squawk about it now?

I could care less about a little gold naked man on a pedestal. There's too many wars in the world, too many hungry children and people trying to eke out a living to worry about rich people crying over a little trophy. I'm more worried about North Korea dropping a nuclear bomb on me than whether or not "Straight Out of Compton" was snubbed.

I know my opinion is probably not shared, but what else is new?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/16 at 10:06 pm

I didn't like any of the films last year. So I'm not watching the Oscars.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/16 at 4:58 am

Comedian Chris Rock is facing calls to withdraw from his role as host of this year's Academy Awards ceremony, as the row over the lack of representation among the nominees intensifies. "Please do not do the Oscars awards," wrote rapper 50 Cent on Instagram. Fast & Furious 7 star Tyrese Gibson has also called on Rock to step down. The actor said there was "no joke that can crack" that would make up for the Academy's failure to nominate a single non-white acting nominee.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35370284

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/16 at 5:09 am

Comedian Chris Rock is facing calls to withdraw from his role as host of this year's Academy Awards ceremony, as the row over the lack of representation among the nominees intensifies. "Please do not do the Oscars awards," wrote rapper 50 Cent on Instagram. Fast & Furious 7 star Tyrese Gibson has also called on Rock to step down. The actor said there was "no joke that can crack" that would make up for the Academy's failure to nominate a single non-white acting nominee.

It would be stupid for Chris to pull out.. he could draw attention to it (albeit uncomfortably) in his monologue but he's signed a contract. He would lose money... and probably be subject to a fine if he did.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/16 at 5:33 am

It would be stupid for Chris to pull out.. he could draw attention to it (albeit uncomfortably) in his monologue but he's signed a contract. He would lose money... and probably be subject to a fine if he did.
...and the chance of losing several future acting roles?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/16 at 7:04 am

Actor Mark Ruffalo, Oscar-nominated for his role in Spotlight, has suggested the growing disquiet over the lack of diversity among the nominees in the main award categories has led him to question whether he should attend the event.

He pointed the finger at "white privilege racism" in the industry as a whole.

"I'm weighing it," he told BBC Breakfast.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/16 at 7:05 am

Dustin Hoffman has entered the Oscars diversity debate, saying he believes it is down to "subliminal racism".

For the second year running, no black or minority ethnic actors have been nominated in the four Oscars acting categories.

Hoffman - who was in the UK to present a special award to Billy Connolly at the National TV Awards - told the BBC the lack of recognition for black actors was part of a wider problem in the US.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/16 at 9:06 am

Will Smith has confirmed he will be joining his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, in not attending the Oscars next month. The Men in Black star said it would be "awkward" to attend in the light of the row about the lack of representation among this year's acting nominees. "We're uncomfortable to stand there and say that this is OK," he told Good Morning America's Robin Roberts.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/16 at 9:07 am

With all these no shows there will a few empty seats in the auditorium. More chances for getting tickets?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/16 at 9:33 am

Musician and producer Quincy Jones has joined the host of voices speaking out about the lack of diversity at this year's Oscars.

The seven-time Oscar nominee said he had been invited to present at this year's Academy Award ceremony, but would only do so on the condition that he could publicly address the issue at the event.

"I'm going to ask to let me speak for five minutes on the lack of diversity. If not, I'm not going to ," he said on Wednesday.

"There are two ways to do it. You can boycott or you can fix it," said the 82-year-old, who was given the Academy's Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award in 1995.

"I've been involved with Academy longer than I care to remember," Jones told the Hollywood Reporter.

"I was the first black board member. I hate 'first black,' because that means 'only.'" 

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/16 at 6:35 am

Two-time Oscar nominee Viola Davis has added her voice to the ongoing row over diversity at the Academy Awards. "It's not the Oscars," she said, "the Oscars are a symptom of a much greater issue and that's the issue of the Hollywood movie-making system." She argued there should be more films with roles for actors of Black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds. "The opportunity does not match the talent. There needs to be more opportunity. You have to invest in it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35380343

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/16 at 11:04 am

Two-time Oscar nominee Viola Davis has added her voice to the ongoing row over diversity at the Academy Awards. "It's not the Oscars," she said, "the Oscars are a symptom of a much greater issue and that's the issue of the Hollywood movie-making system." She argued there should be more films with roles for actors of Black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds. "The opportunity does not match the talent. There needs to be more opportunity. You have to invest in it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35380343

That's pretty much what whoopi was saying on the view too.

I remember the year jhud won for dreamgirls
And Forrest Whittaker won for king of Scotland and will smith was nominated for pursuit of happyness
It seemed like things were finally turning around. It was 2007

Gayle King was reporting for Oprah, can't remember if it was '07 or the year jaime Foxx won for Ray but I was dying. I have a clip of Gayle, Queen latifah will smith and Jaimie Foxx all
Standing together yelling "there's black people at the oscars!"

I have to find that video again.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/16 at 11:03 am

The Big Short, a satirical comedy about the US financial crisis, has won top prize at the Producers Guild Awards. The win will boost its Oscar chances, as the Producers Guild of America (PGA) has predicted the winner of the best picture Oscar for the past eight years. Some bookmakers have already made Adam McKay's film favourite to be named best picture at next month's Academy Awards. Inside Out and Amy picked up the PGA's prizes for best animated film and best documentary.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/24/16 at 11:56 am

2015 was a great year for films, although it wasn't as good as 2014. I will say though that 2015 was excellent for movie soundtracks and original songs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/16 at 6:01 am

Clint Eastwood is the latest Hollywood star to be drawn into the row over the lack of non-white Oscar nominees this year.

Stars including Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith are boycotting the ceremony.

But Eastwood was not entirely sympathetic, telling TMZ:

"I don't know anything about it.

"All I know is that there are thousands of people in the Academy and a lot of them, the majority of them haven't won Oscars, so a lot of people are crying I guess."

Eastwood won two Oscars for Unforgiven in 1993 and two more for Million Dollar Baby in 2005.

With the ceremony just over a month away on 28 February, this topic is very likely to be a focus at the big event. Watch this space - we'll be doing full live coverage on the night.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/16 at 6:12 am

2015 was a great year for films, although it wasn't as good as 2014. I will say though that 2015 was excellent for movie soundtracks and original songs.
Whatever the films on offer, if I have seen them or not, I still watch (if I can) the television broadcast.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/16 at 3:37 am

The Academy Awards has announced its line-up of presenters and performers for this year's Oscars, as it battles an ongoing row about diversity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35435266

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/16 at 8:57 am

The Oscars race row shows no signs of ending - so of course, it got a mention at the Evening Standard British Film Awards last night.

Host Simon Amstell declared it, tongue firmly in cheek, as "another great year for white men" in his opening speech.

And then Idris Elba picked up the best actor award for Beasts of No Nation - for which he failed to receive an Oscar nomination.

He pointed out that as well as the director being half-Japanese and half-American, "the crew were from New York and Ghana, and the money came from all over".

"That is... diversity," added Elba.

Tom Courtenay said Elba's award would go down well with Charlotte Rampling, his 45 Years co-star who hit the headlines for saying the Oscars could be considered as "racist to whites". She's since said her comments were misinterpreted.

Courtenay told those at the awards, held at Television Centre in London: "Charlotte is in America, but she’ll be absolutely delighted that Idris won the award tonight.”

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/16 at 4:26 pm

Sylvester Stallone says he thought about boycotting the Oscars ceremony because of this year's diversity row.

The 69-year-old actor has a best supporting actor nod for his role as Rocky Balboa in boxing drama Creed.

At the annual Oscar nominees' lunch in Los Angeles, Stallone revealed he'd consulted Creed director Ryan Coogler about attending the awards.

"I said, 'if you want me to go, I'll go, if you don't, I won't'," Stallone said.

"He said, 'Just go there and try to represent the film.'"

Neither Coogler nor Creed's star Michael B Jordan, who are both black, were nominated.

Full report:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35531304

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/16 at 3:26 am

Kate Winslet has said she won't be boycotting the Oscars, despite the row over the fact that all 20 of this year's acting nominees are white. Winslet, in the running for best supporting actress for her role in Apple guru biopic Steve Jobs, gave reasons for her decision.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/16 at 9:59 am

It is the BAFTAs tonight.

Info here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35559488

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/16 at 4:40 am

Spike Lee has said his decision not to attend the Oscars has been vindicated by the response from organisers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35594200

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/16 at 4:12 am

Mad Max: Fury Road and Star Wars: The Force Awakens lead this year's Empire Awards, with 10 and nine nominations respectively.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35598536

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/16 at 5:55 am

Dave Grohl is to perform at the Oscars for the first time next week.

The Academy has confirmed the Foo Fighters frontman will be giving a "special performance" but has given no further details.

It has also announced some of the other presenters -  Morgan Freeman, John Legend. JJ Abrams and Henry Cavill - who'll be appearing at the 28 February ceremony in Los Angeles.

In a possibly risky move, they've also invited Sacha Baron Cohen to present. Wonder if he'll keep to the script?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/19/16 at 6:41 pm

I'm only watching because I want to see history if Leo wins Best Actor.

(and personally incite the riot, if he does not)  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/16 at 6:18 am

I'm only watching because I want to see history if Leo wins Best Actor.

(and personally incite the riot, if he does not)  >:(
Now that I have seen films in the Best Actor category for this year's Academy Awards, I feel that the winner will be one of the other actors. I will explain more in my winner choices before the weekend.

Subject: Re: 2016 Academy Awards

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/16 at 3:07 pm

My choice for winners at the Academy Awards. I do have to see a few more films ("Carol" and "The Big Short", are my main missing films.

Best Picture
For it's production, “The Revenant" it is just trees and mountains for background for the year 1832, and as for "Bridge of Spies", the streets of 1957 to 1962 had to be recreated. BTW, Steven Spielberg is not up for Best Director. For emotional value, “Room” has to win the Best Picture Oscar.

Best Director
I have still to see “The Big Short”, basically putting it, Best Director is between Lenny Abrahamson for “Room” and Alejandro G. Iñárritu for “The Revenant”. “Room” grabbed the viewer emotionally, The Revenant has the spectacle of limited day time shooting and snow. The winner for me is “Room”.

Best Actor
With the Michael Fassbender portrayal as Steve Jobs an American icon as a bad person, I cannot imagine Hollywood critics and film persons voting for him. Matt Damon role in “The Martian” seemed so ordinary. Leonardo DiCaprio, who grew his own beard and eat raw meat for the skin complexion, just seemed to be playing himself and was not acting in “The Revenant”. Bryan Cranston is excellent as Dalton Trumbo and will have the Hollywood writers’ vote, but my choice for Best Actor will go to Eddie Redmayne, for his acting was a complete change of character in his role.

Best Actress
I still have not seen “Carol” yet. All are good actresses, but Jennifer Lawrence for her role in “Joy” stands out more.

Best Supporting Actor
Mark Rylance in Bridge of Spies

Best Supporting Actress
Kate Winslet in Steve Jobs

Best Cinematography

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/24/16 at 11:50 pm

My choice for winners at the Academy Awards. I do have to see a few more films ("Carol" and "The Big Short", are my main missing films.

Best Picture
For it's production, “The Revenant" it is just trees and mountains for background for the year 1832, and as for "Bridge of Spies", the streets of 1957 to 1962 had to be recreated. BTW, Steven Spielberg is not up for Best Director. For emotional value, “Room” has to win the Best Picture Oscar.

Best Director
I have still to see “The Big Short”, basically putting it, Best Director is between Lenny Abrahamson for “Room” and Alejandro G. Iñárritu for “The Revenant”. “Room” grabbed the viewer emotionally, The Revenant has the spectacle of limited day time shooting and snow. The winner for me is “Room”.

Best Actor
With the Michael Fassbender portrayal as Steve Jobs an American icon as a bad person, I cannot imagine Hollywood critics and film persons voting for him. Matt Damon role in “The Martian” seemed so ordinary. Leonardo DiCaprio, who grew his own beard and eat raw meat for the skin complexion, just seemed to be playing himself and was not acting in “The Revenant”. Bryan Cranston is excellent as Dalton Trumbo and will have the Hollywood writers’ vote, but my choice for Best Actor will go to Eddie Redmayne, for his acting was a complete change of character in his role.

Best Actress
I still have not seen “Carol” yet. All are good actresses, but Jennifer Lawrence for her role in “Joy” stands out more.

Best Supporting Actor

Best Supporting Actress

Best Cinematography

VERY controversial, choosing Redmayne over Leo! :o  Leo has been DOMINATING so far!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/24/16 at 11:53 pm

*reads reviews of films*
*sees Leo is gonna get the shaft again*
*organizing the riot*  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/16 at 2:57 am

VERY controversial, choosing Redmayne over Leo! :o  Leo has been DOMINATING so far!
Having seen the concern films, that is my view, and I am sticking to it.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/16 at 5:07 pm

Best Picture

Best Director

Best Actor

Best Actress

Best Supporting Actor

Best Supporting Actress

Best Cinematography
Add for Best Documentary "Amy".

Written By: snozberries on 02/27/16 at 12:05 am

Hopefully you can see this... Honest Trailers Oscars...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rkirbTtb4I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rkirbTtb4I

Written By: snozberries on 02/27/16 at 12:07 am

This really had me laughing.... granted for all the wrong reasons but I still laughed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XebG4TO_xss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XebG4TO_xss

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/16 at 4:47 am

Big night tonight!

What time will the ceremony start?

I know it will all be on during my supposed sleeping hours.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/16 at 8:12 am

Best Picture

Best Director

Best Actor

Best Actress

Best Supporting Actor

Best Supporting Actress

Best Cinematography
...but something deep down inside says "The Revenant" will win everything!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/28/16 at 9:27 am

Big night tonight!

What time will the ceremony start?

I know it will all be on during my supposed sleeping hours.

Here in the United States, it starts at 8:30 pm tonight.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/16 at 9:52 am

Many thanks, of course that is the time in LA.?

If so, it makes it 4:30am for me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/28/16 at 10:09 am

Many thanks, of course that is the time in LA.?

If so, it makes it 4:30am for me.

No, that's the time in the East Coast. It'll probably start way earlier in LA.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/16 at 11:35 am

Pacific has the three hour difference.

It is only on pay channel here, but the news will announce results when known.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/28/16 at 11:35 pm

LEONARDO DICAPRIO WON BEST ACTOR! FINALLY!

AND I CRIED LIKE A GODDAMN BABY.

Written By: nally on 02/28/16 at 11:56 pm

Yep, that would be 5:30pm here.

Written By: nally on 02/28/16 at 11:57 pm

Congratulations to Leo...and to all the winners! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/16 at 12:23 am

Well done Leo!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/16 at 12:47 am

List of the winner: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35313266

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/16 at 1:46 am

Leonardo DiCaprio has finally won his first Oscar for survival epic The Revenant, after six nominations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35670715

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/16 at 2:32 am

I have the Highlights program set to record tonight.

Written By: TheKid99 on 02/29/16 at 6:58 am

All everyone in history will remember this years Oscars for is the fact that Leo finally won an Oscar :D It was pretty neat. Much better than last years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/16 at 7:09 am

All everyone in history will remember this years Oscars for is the fact that Leo finally won an Oscar :D It was pretty neat. Much better than last years.
This year's films had more substance to them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/16 at 7:26 am

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/1B93/production/_88495070_winners_afp_getty.jpg

Winners crowded on to the stage at the end of the ceremony

Written By: nally on 02/29/16 at 10:08 am

This year's films had more substance to them.

Most (if not all) of which I have not seen, but I've heard some good reviews about some of 'em.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/29/16 at 10:48 am

LEO WON!! LEO WON!! LEO WON!! LEO WON!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/16 at 10:48 am

O0

Written By: 80sfan on 02/29/16 at 12:39 pm

O0

He has a long career.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/16 at 12:40 pm

He has a long career.
He will do very well in future.

Written By: snozberries on 02/29/16 at 2:15 pm

I have the Highlights program set to record tonight.

Hopefully you watch Louis CK's intro for the nominees for best documentary short

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/16 at 2:19 pm

Hopefully you watch Louis CK's intro for the nominees for best documentary short
The highlights will be edited, so I hope it is shown.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/16 at 5:08 pm

No intro shown, straight to the winner. Did show Woody and Buzz for Best Animation.

Written By: nally on 02/29/16 at 6:35 pm

He will do very well in future.

Yes, he has that potential. O0 He's already done fine in his career thus far.

Written By: Ripley on 02/29/16 at 10:09 pm

I'm happy for Leo!

Written By: snozberries on 03/01/16 at 5:25 am

No intro shown, straight to the winner. Did show Woody and Buzz for Best Animation.

hopefully you can see this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR8a7mYn2Ow

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/16 at 5:25 am

hopefully you can see this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR8a7mYn2Ow

O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/16 at 5:40 am

The 2016 Academy Awards pulled in its smallest audience in eight years, according to US ratings data. Some 34.3 million Americans watched the ceremony - a near record low - amid the Hollywood diversity controversy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/16 at 9:11 am

Sacha Baron Cohen as Ali G was cut out too.

Written By: snozberries on 03/01/16 at 12:40 pm

Sacha Baron Cohen as Ali G was cut out too.

Meh. He wasn't all that entertaining.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/16 at 12:44 pm

Saves looking him up on YouTube, there again, I do not find him funny in the first place.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/16 at 12:45 pm

Someone was censored too, the sound was silenced, I cannot remember who it was.

Written By: snozberries on 03/01/16 at 12:46 pm

Someone was censored too, the sound was silenced, I cannot remember who it was.

I don't remember that. I mean I vaguely remember it but I think it was an acceptance speech they probably said shyt or something.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/16 at 12:48 pm

I don't remember that. I mean I vaguely remember it but I think it was an acceptance speech they probably said shyt or something.  ;D
The blanking of the sound was longer for just one word.

Written By: snozberries on 03/01/16 at 2:09 pm

The blanking of the sound was longer for just one word.

I really don't remember. Maybe I Was Fast Forwarding through it

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/16 at 2:14 pm

I really don't remember. Maybe I Was Fast Forwarding through it
I am due to watch the program again with my son when he comes back from holiday. I will make a special note of it.

Written By: snozberries on 03/01/16 at 3:52 pm

I am due to watch the program again with my son when he comes back from holiday. I will make a special note of it.

Awesome thanks

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/16 at 3:31 am

Sam Smith says he's taking a break from social media. It's after Dustin Lance Black criticised him on Twitter for claiming that he was the first openly gay man to win a prize at the Oscars.

Written By: snozberries on 03/02/16 at 8:40 am

Sam Smith says he's taking a break from social media. It's after Dustin Lance Black criticised him on Twitter for claiming that he was the first openly gay man to win a prize at the Oscars.

I'm pretty sure there have been hundreds of openly gay Oscar winners in the last 88 yrs!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/16 at 9:03 am

I'm pretty sure there have been hundreds of openly gay Oscar winners in the last 88 yrs!
There must be, and my immediate reaction was Elton John with "The Lion King"!

Written By: snozberries on 03/02/16 at 10:31 am

There must be, and my immediate reaction was Elton John with "The Lion King"!

Excellent example. Same category and everything

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/16 at 10:32 am

Excellent example. Same category and everything
O0

Written By: 80sfan on 03/02/16 at 1:34 pm

Hehe, Chris Rock made a few Asian jokes during his hosting. I wouldn't call myself offended (I'm very aware that he's a comedian), however I think that people would have been less offended if it had been told during one of his individual standups, at a different setting other than the Oscars. They were talking about diversity during the Oscars and there's tension about that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/16 at 1:37 pm

To me, it looks as if it all went wrong this year.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/02/16 at 1:42 pm

Really? I wonder if I'm delusional, but I could sense a tension in the audience.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/16 at 1:48 pm

Really? I wonder if I'm delusional, but I could sense a tension in the audience.
I am due to watch the highlights again, I will watch out for more clues.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/16 at 3:08 pm

Was it because of Chris Rock?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/16 at 3:10 pm

Was it because of Chris Rock?
It was the cloud hanging over the ceremony.

Written By: snozberries on 03/02/16 at 5:33 pm

He made people uncomfortable that's what he's supposed to do. Good comedians can do that and still get the laughs. 

I have him a B+ most of his jokes were funny and his delivery was Rock-Solid.  The Stacy Dash joke fell flat but he made her the butt of a joke she was incapable of delivering. If he had just said I t without bringing her out it woulda been a home run

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/16 at 1:57 am

He made people uncomfortable that's what he's supposed to do. Good comedians can do that and still get the laughs. 

I have him a B+ most of his jokes were funny and his delivery was Rock-Solid.  The Stacy Dash joke fell flat but he made her the butt of a joke she was incapable of delivering. If he had just said I t without bringing her out it woulda been a home run

I did chuckle at the reference to the minority of his kind as astronauts.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/16 at 12:44 pm

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/624/cpsprodpb/vivo/live/images/2016/3/4/2bc30c9c-7e14-4001-b15d-179bd9ea59cb.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/16 at 6:29 am

Oscar-nominated romance Carol has topped a survey of the top 30 LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) films ever made, conducted to mark the 30th anniversary of the London LGBT Film Festival which begins on Wednesday.

Check for new replies or respond here...