inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is your opinion on this video?

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/14/16 at 11:25 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V-R1OOp_HQ

(please watch before reading the post, I don't want to spoil anything)

I actually think he brings up some good points. I just wish he would present them in a more professional manner, in order to be taken seriously by more people. Now I agree that a lot of people who bring up the tired argument that "there was bad music back then too", forget that there was at least a balance in the mainstream, of good and bad music. Now, I feel there really isn't a balance.

On the other hand, I don't really agree with him disregarding underground artists. I think, more than ever, it's important to support underground artists that you like. I mean, even though it probably won't change the tide of popular music, I do think it's better than just claiming that "everything sucks now", which is basically admitting defeat. I also really don't like how he's so cynical about the future. I personally think that things can improve. A lot can change in the next 4-5 years.

This guy's channel has other videos ranting about 2010s culture. I do agree with a lot of them (especially in regards to video games and T.V. shows), though he tends to present them in a very angry, unprofessional, and cynical manner. So it's kind of hard to take him seriously at times, though I can understand his basic points.

Subject: Re: What is your opinion on this video?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/14/16 at 11:47 pm

I agree with him for the most part

Although I am not as cynical about the music industry as him, I still generally believe that since the late 00's (and especially the mid 10's, which in all honesty I around where I would say this new bronze/dark age began). While the late 00's were pretty bad with annoying autotune pop and snap rap you still had some good pop tracks and rap tracks here and there, plus post grunge and emo was still pretty big; I'd take that over the mid 10's any day of the week. I generally believe that there was this golden age of music (by which there was a perfect variety of pop, rap, and alternative) which started sometime around New Wave and Post Disco pop gained ground so circa 1981 coincided with the launch of MTV while ending around the early 2000's, which was debatably the last time in recent history when pop, rap, and alternative among many other genres were on the hot charts in perfect harmony.

I think the Billboard Top 100 from around this same time back in 2001 is a perfect example of this:

Billboard- January 23 2016
http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

Billboard- January 20 2001
http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/2001-01-20

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/14/16 at 11:48 pm

Him disregarding underground artists is stupid. I was pretty into the underground scene from 1996-2005 (didn't like 2004 and 2005. I stopped going to shows after Warped Tour 2005) and it's just as important to me as the mainstream music. Same with a lot of people. It's just as important to the era as the mainstream stuff.

I do kinda agree that around 2003-2004 is when music started to decline in quality BUT...

He's wrong about illegal downloading. Yes, 2003 and 2004 is when it really did get big (thanks to the rise of broadband) but streaming and other online services are what really screwed it all up. It's stuff like that that took the value away from music. Artists don't profit from this crap. Ask any artist who has their music on iTunes or Spotify. Little to no profit whatsoever. It's so small that most of it goes to the streaming provider and the label. Even sh!t like Youtube. If you took all the illegally uploaded content (videos which they run ads) off of YouTube, Google's profits would take a huge, huge blow. Before the "streaming solution" artists made a decent living being on a major or stable independent label. Now both independent and major artists get ripped off thanks to this new technology. He is right about the internet helping bands. It does much more harm than good.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/16/16 at 9:11 pm

I agree with him for the most part

Although I am not as cynical about the music industry as him, I still generally believe that since the late 00's (and especially the mid 10's, which in all honesty I around where I would say this new bronze/dark age began). While the late 00's were pretty bad with annoying autotune pop and snap rap you still had some good pop tracks and rap tracks here and there, plus post grunge and emo was still pretty big; I'd take that over the mid 10's any day of the week. I generally believe that there was this golden age of music (by which there was a perfect variety of pop, rap, and alternative) which started sometime around New Wave and Post Disco pop gained ground so circa 1981 coincided with the launch of MTV while ending around the early 2000's, which was debatably the last time in recent history when pop, rap, and alternative among many other genres were on the hot charts in perfect harmony.

I think the Billboard Top 100 from around this same time back in 2001 is a perfect example of this:

Billboard- January 23 2016
http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

Billboard- January 20 2001
http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/2001-01-20

Yeah, it's so depressing the way things are now. It kind of makes you wonder what there's really to look forward to anymore. I still hold the belief that things will get better eventually. Things have to even out somehow. I don't know how, but I'm sure someday it will. Who knows, maybe we all can help change it (directly or indirectly). I don't know.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/16/16 at 9:18 pm

I like that he doesn't hold back and try to be too polite.

To me, music went down starting in 1999. 1998 was the last good year.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/16/16 at 9:21 pm

This video is pretty accurate as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUWyOxnq49k

Written By: 80sfan on 01/16/16 at 9:31 pm

An album in 1996 could debut with only 80,000 copies in its first week, and end up selling 8 million copies.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/16/16 at 9:34 pm

I like that he doesn't hold back and try to be too polite.

To me, music went down starting in 1999. 1998 was the last good year.

I dunno, I think 1998 and 1999 are pretty similar musically.

Personally, I think 2003 is the last good year. :P

Written By: 80sfan on 01/16/16 at 9:40 pm

I dunno, I think 1998 and 1999 are pretty similar musically.

Personally, I think 2003 is the last good year. :P

All perspective, but album sales, at least in the US, went down starting in 2001.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/16/16 at 9:42 pm

All perspective, but album sales, at least in the US, went down starting in 2001.

Yeah, that's true. I'd say that album sales really took a huge hit in 2005 when the iPod started getting big.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/16/16 at 9:54 pm

He seemed to be a nostalgiatard, but I kinda agree with him on some aspects. I mean, I really don't like music from this decade. But I do like music from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. Ever since 2011, they only cared about being so electro and stuff.

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/16 at 10:25 pm

He talks like a child. By my memories, people have been complaining about popular music since the late 90s. None of this comes as new to me. Also, many albums including 1989 and Hello are hitting sales records, so even this decline in album sales he's talking seems to be largely over.

What's funny to me is early 2000s are hitting "old is gold" status. Hahaha, all the teens and adults at the time clicked their tongues at me for listening to the popular music of the time. This is how you know you're getting old.

In the 2020s people will be talking about how early 2010s was when music died.  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/16 at 11:02 pm

This video is pretty accurate as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUWyOxnq49k

This was more listenable too. He sounds about my age too.

But he called Fall Out Boy's 2005 album "early 2000s" and "good music". Paging Jordan

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/16/16 at 11:05 pm

This was more listenable too. He sounds about my age too.

But he called Fall Out Boy's 2005 album "early 2000s" and "good music". Paging Jordan.

He did what now!?!? >:( >:( >:(

I will listen to this video and give it a stern criticism and maybe leave a nasty comment about how 2005 is not remotely early 2000's in anyway nor is that album any good. It should be a known fact that Evening Out With Your Girlfriend and the split with Project Rocket are the only good Fall Out Boy releases.

Ok, I have posted him a comment suggesting him to educate himself on Emo and the early 2000's.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/16/16 at 11:08 pm

Aw Yeah Future King FTW!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/16/16 at 11:13 pm

Aw Yeah Future King FTW!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Have you heard of him before?

Written By: mqg96 on 01/16/16 at 11:14 pm

He talks like a child. By my memories, people have been complaining about popular music since the late 90s. None of this comes as new to me. Also, many albums including 1989 and Hello are hitting sales records, so even this decline in album sales he's talking seems to be largely over.

What's funny to me is early 2000s are hitting "old is gold" status. Hahaha, all the teens and adults at the time clicked their tongues at me for listening to the popular music of the time. This is how you know you're getting old.

In the 2020s people will be talking about how early 2010s was when music died.  ::)

This. Plus everybody has certain genres of music they prefer as based off the culture or style they follow. I'm not going to watch the video because I've heard the same repetitive "why blah blah blah sucks nowadays", like seriously it gets so old af. I have my own opinion on certain eras of music but personally for me the very late 2000's and very early 2010's era of music (2008-2011) was the best my whole life. My opinion on this won't ever change unless that golden era somehow makes a comeback outta no where.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/17/16 at 12:10 am

Have you heard of him before?

Yes, because he talks about wrestling and gaming! He's just like Corey Margera another Youtuber! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...