inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite decade for pop culture?

Written By: WebTraveller on 01/20/16 at 10:32 am

If anybody's wondering why the 10's aren't an option, its because I highly doubt they're anyone's favorite.

Subject: Re: Favourite decade for pop culture?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/16 at 10:47 am

Plus, the 2010's aren't over yet!  :D  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/16 at 10:48 am

The music of the 1960's for me! It brings back wonderful childhood memories.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/16 at 10:49 am

...and we have to wait!

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/16 at 10:50 am

...and we have to wait!

Four more years! Four more years!!

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/16 at 10:52 am

For me, the 1980's is numero uno.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/16 at 11:00 am

For me, the 1980's is numero uno.
Who knows what is ahead of us!

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/16 at 11:07 am

Who knows what is ahead of us!

I think you're on the wrong thread.  ;)

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/20/16 at 11:18 am

I can't say I have a favorite decade. I like pretty much all the decades you listed, for different reasons. The only decade I don't care for are the 2010s. But then again we don't know how the late 2010s will turn out, so it's probably too early to judge it.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/20/16 at 11:20 am

For TV shows and movies, it's been the whole 2010's so far. For music it's only been the very late 00's & very early 10's.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/16 at 2:49 pm

definitely the 1980's.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/20/16 at 4:05 pm

80s. I love everything, the music the fashion, the pop culture...everything. And most of the artists I liked were still alive.

And I know I've said it before and I'll continue saying it, if it were socially acceptable, I'd look like an extra from Purple Rain every day.

(But since it's not and I'm trying to get asked on dates I keep it current...)
Nobody knows how I look longingly at the neon side of my eyeshadow palette every day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/16 at 4:11 pm

I think you're on the wrong thread.  ;)
Oops!

I like the pop music of the 1970's too, but the 60's has the edge.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/16 at 4:31 pm

You're wrong OP, I love the 2010s!  Especially its TV shows, fashion, movies and tech culture.

Out of those you listed, I'm only fluent in 90s/00s, but I think I'd pick the 60s. Sounds like a swinging time. I love reading books set in the 60s, and of course I love those Hannah Barbara cartoons, though they are late 50s/early 60s for the most part.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/20/16 at 5:15 pm

It's definitely the 2000s, IMO.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/20/16 at 5:17 pm

Well, anybody can say that the 2010s is their favorite, even if it's not over yet.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/20/16 at 10:24 pm

For Music, the 60s or 90s
For TV, the 90s
For mature movies, the 70s and 80s
For kid movies, 90s or 2000s
It's hard to say overall though!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/21/16 at 12:24 am

The 80's (1981-1992) for sure. Best decade ever. The 90's (1993-2003) being a close second.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/21/16 at 12:26 am

You're wrong OP, I love the 2010s!  Especially its TV shows, fashion, movies and tech culture.

Out of those you listed, I'm only fluent in 90s/00s, but I think I'd pick the 60s. Sounds like a swinging time. I love reading books set in the 60s, and of course I love those Hannah Barbara cartoons, though they are late 50s/early 60s for the most part.

How old are you, Dear?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/21/16 at 12:28 am

How old are you, Dear?

He's 22!

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/16 at 12:39 am

He's 22!

Only for a few more weeks!  But forever 22 in my heart. ;D

I do feel bad for being ignorant of the 80s on a nostalgia forum though. My main historical fascination lies with the 1919-1948 period, that's where most my favourite books take place, and I love the good 1930s gangster/mafia movies they show on TV at times.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/21/16 at 12:45 am

Only for a few more weeks!  But forever 22 in my heart. ;D

I do feel bad for being ignorant of the 80s on a nostalgia forum though. My main historical fascination lies with the 1919-1948 period, that's where most my favourite books take place, and I love the good 1930s gangster/mafia movies they show on TV at times.

Only a few more weeks for me being in my teens :o. 20 here I come down on a rollercoaster so hard!

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/16 at 12:59 am

Only a few more weeks for me being in my teens :o. 20 here I come down on a rollercoaster so hard!

I didn't notice a huge difference between 19/20 in terms of aging honestly. You'll be fine.  :P

I stopped celebrating birthdays after high school, sometimes I forget what my age is haha. It takes me a few seconds to remember.

When is your birthday btw? I'm February 16. If you're also around then, the parallels in our lives are going to start sounding super uncanny, especially with your sister being born August 2008 and my sister being born August 2005.  :o

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/21/16 at 1:06 am

Only a few more weeks for me being in my teens :o . 20 here I come down on a rollercoaster so hard!

Get ready man! You're gonna feel like an old fart. ;D ;D ;D  I know I did last fall! ;)

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/16 at 1:08 am

Get ready man! You're gonna feel like an old fart. ;D ;D ;D  I know I did last fall! ;)

20 is definitely too young to be an old fart lol. Your real life is just getting started at 20!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/21/16 at 1:11 am

20 is definitely too young to be an old fart lol. Your real life is just getting started at 20!

Well, I was just saying that cause last fall I was like wow, I can't believe I've actually made it this far, unbelievable. :o 

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/21/16 at 1:13 am

Also, my college algebra tutor last year said she felt old when she turned 20 herself. And people a few years younger than her, she felt like she was old around. ;D  It was an interesting conversation. :)

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/16 at 1:22 am

Also, my college algebra tutor last year said she felt old when she turned 20 herself. And people a few years younger than her, she felt like she was old around. ;D  It was an interesting conversation. :)

Was your Algebra tutor 21?  :P

I can see why she feels old if she was hanging around mostly younger people. Like in the elective class I talked about in the other thread, there are 1998 borns, and they described Wall-E as a childhood movie, and another one described having Facebook in middle school. Stop right there!

But I didn't feel old, just that they were really young!  ;D

Honestly, being a teenager sucks. I went to the local library recently, and the librarians treated me with contempt. No good mornings, no hellos, no thank yous, you could just feel the contempt. When they asked for ID they said a report card (lol) would be okay, or a high school ID (double lol). I gave them my driver's licence and suddenly she was smiling and being nice and offering tours of the library  ;D

I still avoid the local library during after-school hours. I don't want to be associated with the local teens. I even take the one hour trip to my university library just to avoid that fate!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/21/16 at 1:45 am

Was your Algebra tutor 21?  :P

I can see why she feels old if she was hanging around mostly younger people. Like in the elective class I talked about in the other thread, there are 1998 borns, and they described Wall-E as a childhood movie, and another one described having Facebook in middle school. Stop right there!

But I didn't feel old, just that they were really young!  ;D

No she was 33! ;D      They see Wall E as a childhood movie... That's CRAZY!  :D :o  I was 12/13 when it was released! That last Pixar movie, HELL the last animated I really associate with childhood would be CARS. 

Written By: mqg96 on 01/21/16 at 8:06 am

I didn't notice a huge difference between 19/20 in terms of aging honestly. You'll be fine.  :P

I stopped celebrating birthdays after high school, sometimes I forget what my age is haha. It takes me a few seconds to remember.

When is your birthday btw? I'm February 16. If you're also around then, the parallels in our lives are going to start sounding super uncanny, especially with your sister being born August 2008 and my sister being born August 2005.  :o

I don't remember any birthdays I celebrated after my 12th one for some reason. I think my 16th birthday was celebrated at home with my friends and family but that's about the latest one I can remember. I can vaguely remember my 3rd & 4th birthdays. My 3rd birthday being at home, and my 4th birthday being at preschool. My clearly remember my 5th birthday at Chuck E. Cheeses. I don't remember my 6th birthday for some odd reason. I remember my 7th birthday crystal clearly, it was at home and I got a huge collection of lego toys, planet hot wheel cars, and video games like the Gamecube. My 8th birthday was a surprise one at a gym, and half of the people from my 2nd grade class came there including my cousins, it was awesome. I don't remember where my 9th or 10th birthdays were for some reason. Then finally, my 11th & 12th birthdays were held at Dave & Busters which was extremely epic!

Subtract exactly one week from your birth date then you got mine, and yeah, there isn't that much a difference between 19 & 20, it's just like how a made a big deal about turning 10 ten years ago but I didn't feel that much different than 9 for the whole year. Oh, and my sister born in August 2008 is the youngest btw, you have any other brothers or sisters in between her and yourself? She's currently in 2nd grade btw, like I currently was back January 2004, but her exact age now was my exact age in July 2003 :o

Written By: mqg96 on 01/21/16 at 8:15 am

No she was 33! ;D      They see Wall E as a childhood movie... That's CRAZY!  :D :o  I was 12/13 when it was released! That last Pixar movie, HELL the last animated I really associate with childhood would be CARS.

I didn't even see Wall-E in theaters because I didn't care for it that much. The last original Pixar movie I liked was Ratatouille, but that would be a late childhood movie for me. Toy Story 3 is the last Pixar movie in general that I liked but it was still considered as a sequel. In fact, I realized a lot of CGI movies from 2010 were the last kid movies I watched in theaters even though I was a teenager by then, like Toy Story 3, Megamind, Shrek Forever After (which sucked), How to Train Your Dragon, and Despicable Me. 2010 was a weird year for movies though with all those late 2000's holdovers, it didn't feel like the same era of movies we've been in since 2012-present. It's just like how 2000 for movies had so many late 90's holdovers and didn't feel like the same era as 2001 on to the rest of the decade (movie wise). I agree with your opinion with Cars, that's the last Pixar movie I associate with my core childhood as well.

Written By: WebTraveller on 01/21/16 at 8:31 am

Four more years! Four more years!!

Things can only get better  :)

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/16 at 8:37 am

I don't remember any birthdays I celebrated after my 12th one for some reason. I think my 16th birthday was celebrated at home with my friends and family but that's about the latest one I can remember. I can vaguely remember my 3rd & 4th birthdays. My 3rd birthday being at home, and my 4th birthday being at preschool. My clearly remember my 5th birthday at Chuck E. Cheeses. I don't remember my 6th birthday for some odd reason. I remember my 7th birthday crystal clearly, it was at home and I got a huge collection of lego toys, planet hot wheel cars, and video games like the Gamecube. My 8th birthday was a surprise one at a gym, and half of the people from my 2nd grade class came there including my cousins, it was awesome. I don't remember where my 9th or 10th birthdays were for some reason. Then finally, my 11th & 12th birthdays were held at Dave & Busters which was extremely epic!

Subtract exactly one week from your birth date then you got mine, and yeah, there isn't that much a difference between 19 & 20, it's just like how a made a big deal about turning 10 ten years ago but I didn't feel that much different than 9 for the whole year. Oh, and my sister born in August 2008 is the youngest btw, you have any other brothers or sisters in between her and yourself? She's currently in 2nd grade btw, like I currently was back January 2004, but her exact age now was my exact age in July 2003 :o

You celebrated an 11th birthday at Dave & Busters? Is that even legal? In Canada you have to be 18/19 (the legal drinking age) to be able to get inside Dave & Busters. I can't believe you got to celebrate a whole birthday there!  ;D A birthday at Chuck E Cheese sounds damn awesome though. I'd get lost in those swings and tubes for hours and make new  each time I went. Did they give you free tickets and stuff?

You're going to feel 20 is not all that different from 19. I can't imagine why it would be.

Haha yes, I was also the same age as them at this moment in July 2003! I had just finished Grade 5, and they're half way through Grade 5 right now. They're way more well behaved than I was, and she reads a crap load of books. Naturally, they learnt from the best.  ;)

I have two brothers born 1994 and 1995, I'm the oldest. My twin sisters were born 2005. I was 12 and a half! I don't think they remember me before I was 17/18 though, and thank god for that. My fashion and mannerisms at 14 are not to be mentioned.

Written By: Howard on 01/21/16 at 3:49 pm

How old are you, Dear?

I'm 42.

Written By: Howard on 01/21/16 at 3:50 pm

I'm in my prime.

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/16 at 4:35 pm

I'm in my prime.

Your prime is whatever age you are now, because you're always building on your past accomplishments.  :)

Written By: mqg96 on 01/21/16 at 9:32 pm

You celebrated an 11th birthday at Dave & Busters? Is that even legal? In Canada you have to be 18/19 (the legal drinking age) to be able to get inside Dave & Busters. I can't believe you got to celebrate a whole birthday there!  ;D A birthday at Chuck E Cheese sounds damn awesome though. I'd get lost in those swings and tubes for hours and make new  each time I went. Did they give you free tickets and stuff?

You're going to feel 20 is not all that different from 19. I can't imagine why it would be.

Haha yes, I was also the same age as them at this moment in July 2003! I had just finished Grade 5, and they're half way through Grade 5 right now. They're way more well behaved than I was, and she reads a crap load of books. Naturally, they learnt from the best.  ;)

I have two brothers born 1994 and 1995, I'm the oldest. My twin sisters were born 2005. I was 12 and a half! I don't think they remember me before I was 17/18 though, and thank god for that. My fashion and mannerisms at 14 are not to be mentioned.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/93/DaveAndBusters.svg/1024px-DaveAndBusters.svg.png

http://secondchurch.org/images/full/Dave-and-Busters.jpg http://popcultureblog.dallasnewsblogs.com/files/2012/11/NB_29DAVE6_28532736.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-cB1kBq3qRQk/UA59XkxA1DI/AAAAAAACLHk/o9Mb49V9sL8/s800/dave-busters-5.jpg http://popcultureblog.dallasnewsblogs.com/files/2012/11/NB_29DAVE7_28532788.jpg

Hell yeah bruh I got inside Dave & Busters for my 11th & 12th birthdays. Everyone knows Dave & Busters is the Chuck E. Cheese's for teens & up. Dave & Busters has a lot more games and prizes, better quality food & drinks, some have bowling alleys too, and it has a bar. It stomps Chuck E. Cheese's by a landslide and it's not even close. I wasn't going back to that damn mouse anymore by that age. ;D and from what I remember I had to play for all my tickets!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/21/16 at 9:50 pm

I'm in my prime.

Me too. Age is just a number!

Written By: WebTraveller on 01/23/16 at 5:29 pm

No one picked the 70's as their favorite decade, I guess most people view that decade as a washed out version of the 60's.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/23/16 at 5:31 pm

Things can only get better  :)

It's weird for me to think of 2020 as just 4 years from now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/23/16 at 6:43 pm

No one picked the 70's as their favorite decade, I guess most people view that decade as a washed out version of the 60's.

To be fair, the 60s and early 70s had some relations towards pop culture.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/23/16 at 7:30 pm

My best friend always talks about Dave and Busters but I had never seen one. (she visited one in New York a few years ago) The last time I went to something like that I was about 7 and my mom took me to something called Discovery Zone. It was alright. Just not much of a gamer. LOL.

But D & B looks...interesting.

Written By: WebTraveller on 01/23/16 at 10:18 pm

I know what you mean, by the 20's, even the late 90's will be officially retro. Parents will rant to their teenage kids about how back in their day they had real music like the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/23/16 at 11:05 pm

I know what you mean, by the 20's, even the late 90's will be officially retro. Parents will rant to their teenage kids about how back in their day they had real music like the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears.

That will be disturbing! :o :o :o :o :o  Early Gen Y are going to be 40 somethings at that point!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/23/16 at 11:30 pm

Britney Spears I could get, but the Backstreet Boys were overrated garbage.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/16 at 8:08 am

I know, it's crazy.  :o

Written By: muppethammer26 on 01/24/16 at 8:58 am

Sometime in the 2020's or 2030s, if something new is invented and becomes popular, a lot of older people would say "back then, we didn't even had those new things!" That would even made the 2000s and the 2010s retro by that time.

Written By: Toon on 01/24/16 at 10:01 am

Sometime in the 2020's or 2030s, if something new is invented and becomes popular, a lot of older people would say "back then, we didn't even had those new things!" That would even made the 2000s and the 2010s retro by that time.

I'm sure it has been like that for all the decades. Heck people can even say that now in the 2010s when comparing to the 2000s or before.

Check for new replies or respond here...