inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rap's future?

Written By: WebTraveller on 01/21/16 at 12:14 pm

Later on this year will be mainstream rap's 30th birthday and to be honest I think genre has gone rotten. I never really liked rap but I understand why some people like the older stuff, but in recent years this whole swag thing is just unbearable. I wonder what rap will be like in the future, will it still be around in the next decade?

Subject: Re: Rap's future?

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/21/16 at 12:22 pm

Later on this year will be mainstream rap's 30th birthday and to be honest I think genre has gone rotten. I never really liked rap but I understand why some people like the older stuff, but in recent years this whole swag thing is just unbearable. I wonder what rap will be like in the future, will it still be around in the next decade?

I'm not sure where it will go. Hopefully it won't be as bland and homogeneous as the rap movements of the past 12 years (ie., crunk, swag, trap). The most current of movements is trap rap, but I think this school year will be the last one where it's really popular. I think late 2016-mid 2017, will be where it declines.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/21/16 at 10:11 pm

I'd like to see rap go back to its roots.

There was a time long ago when men were G's and women were hoes. Now you have all this nonsense rapping about drinking cough syrup and Mountain Dew from a double cup.  ::)

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/21/16 at 10:33 pm

There was a time long ago when men were G's and women were hoes. Now you have all this nonsense rapping about drinking cough syrup and Mountain Dew from a double cup.  ::)

Hopefully once trap dies off, rap will begin to improve.

Written By: WebTraveller on 01/22/16 at 6:32 am

lol  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/22/16 at 8:11 am

I'd like it to go back to the early 1980's.

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/16 at 11:21 am

So you're saying rap started in 1986???
What about mainstream rap from 1979-1985?

They were playing rap on the radio back then too.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/22/16 at 11:51 am

Pre-2002 rap music is mostly excellent. But since 2002, rap has been in the dumps. 2009 and 2010 are the best post-2001 years for rap. There was a slight renaissance in the quality of rap which lasted from the second half of 2008 through the first half of 2011. Even during that time though, there were many bad rap songs. Other than that the underground stuff has been mostly far superior. I think rap is done for and should completely evaporate from the mainstream.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/22/16 at 12:45 pm

Rap has evolved slowly since 1996, when it shifted away from old school gangsta rap to the more mass-marketable genre we have today.

1999, 2003, 2007, and 2011 were all big years of changes to the genre but they have all been evolutionary and nothing that has really shaken things up.  We are definitely due for another being that about every four years, hip-hop goes through a transition.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/22/16 at 1:03 pm

Rap has evolved slowly since 1996, when it shifted away from old school gangsta rap to the more mass-marketable genre we have today.

1999, 2003, 2007, and 2011 were all big years of changes to the genre but they have all been evolutionary and nothing that has really shaken things up.  We are definitely due for another being that about every four years, hip-hop goes through a transition.

The two I have in bold are probably my favorite era of hip-hop without a question. Not taking anything away from 2011-present, it's still brought us many good ones IMO. Very good point right there man.

Edit: by bad, I meant 1999-2003 & 2007-2010.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/22/16 at 1:14 pm

I consider 2000-2003 the last golden era of Rap. Rap was still fun to listen to 2004-2006 but lacked diversity. The same can be said onwards.

Written By: WebTraveller on 01/22/16 at 2:12 pm

MAINSTREAM rap, as in rap that is in the charts and popular. Yes I know about Grandmaster Flash etc. but rap was hardly a MAINSTREAM genre back then.

Written By: 2001 on 01/22/16 at 2:31 pm

I'm definitely not nostalgic for when every single song was about people's asses.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/22/16 at 2:44 pm

I'm definitely not nostalgic for when every single song was about people's asses.

Yeah, that's pretty much what defined the mid 2000s.  That's honestly probably my least favorite era for hip-hop.  The current era is probably close behind it, being that I don't really like the focus on trap beats and lack of focus on melody or hooks.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/16 at 2:52 pm

remember RUN DMC, Krush Groove and Funky Four Plus One?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/22/16 at 5:59 pm

I don't know what will go on for rap. I simply don't care about the genre anymore. Especially when it's crammed with a bunch of songs about twerking and nonsense nowadays.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 01/22/16 at 11:41 pm

I don't know what will go on for rap. I simply don't care about the genre anymore. Especially when it's crammed with a bunch of songs about twerking and nonsense nowadays.

Rap is probably the worst music genre you can listen to, because there's nothing interesting. Instead, there's lots of profanity and no beats or melody. Because of these, I don't think I would be nostalgic for pretty much any rap song.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/16 at 8:14 am

Rap at the time was supposed to be fun and tell a story about partying, having fun, staying off the streets and not doing drugs.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/23/16 at 8:35 am

Rap is probably the worst music genre you can listen to, because there's nothing interesting. Instead, there's lots of profanity and no beats or melody. Because of these, I don't think I would be nostalgic for pretty much any rap song.

Its a African American thing. Not to say that gangster rap is good. I avoid that type of hardcore rap now and diss tracks. Actually, I do prefer clean versions of Rap songs with profanity I feel is unnecessary in the song. Ludacris is like the only rapper who uses profanity that don't kill the mood. By your username, I sense you were born in 1996? If you listen to Rap, listen to old Rap.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/23/16 at 10:47 am

I consider 2000-2003 the last golden era of Rap. Rap was still fun to listen to 2004-2006 but lacked diversity. The same can be said onwards.

Speaking of early 2000's rap being the final golden age, isn't The Eminem Show considered Eminem's last classic album? That's what I've heard from most people.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/23/16 at 10:56 am

Speaking of early 2000's rap being the final golden age, isn't The Eminem Show considered Eminem's last classic album? That's what I've heard from most people.

To you, yes, because according to what I've researched The Eminem Show came out in 2002, and his next album Encore came out in 2004. Although, after 2004 he didn't have another album until 2009 which was called Relapse, so in reality with the era of music we've been in lately. Encore would really be the last classic one, but I'm not sure it's up to you to decide.

I didn't get into Eminem exclusively until his Recovery album came out in 2010, which had some of my favorite songs like "Not Afraid" and "Love the Way You Lie". Then another one of my favorite albums from him is The Marshall Mathers LP 2, which had "The Monster" and "Headlights".

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/23/16 at 11:01 am

There have been some good rap songs in the aughts and 2010s. They are in the minority though.

Written By: snozberries on 01/23/16 at 11:06 am

MAINSTREAM rap, as in rap that is in the charts and popular. Yes I know about Grandmaster Flash etc. but rap was hardly a MAINSTREAM genre back then.

I guess because I was hearing on the radio I consider that mainstream.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/23/16 at 11:07 am

To you, yes, because according to what I've researched The Eminem Show came out in 2002, and his next album Encore came out in 2004. Although, after 2004 he didn't have another album another 2009 which was called Relapse, then after that......

I'm not just saying that because it came out in 2004. :P That's just based on what I've been told/what I read. I'm not really the biggest Eminem fan so I can't really say when his last classic record is (but, the year it came out sure does help me say that! ;D) but isn't Eminem Show the last one with a Slim Shady theme song? I know the first three records of his had What's My Name, Real Slim Shady and Without Me. Did he also do one on Encore?

I didn't get into Eminem exclusively until his Recovery album came out in 2010, which had some of my favorite songs like "Not Afraid" and "Love the Way You Lie". Then another one of my favorite albums from him is The Marshall Mathers LP 2, which had "The Monster" and "Headlights".

Haha, I'm not a big fan of those songs. I don't even really listen to his 90's/early 00's stuff much, either.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/23/16 at 11:13 am

There's many different eras of hip-hop and rap. It has definitely evolved over time and gone through different eras like many other posters mentioned. As SpyroKev stated, it's a predominantly African American genre of music, and my dad has exposed me to 80's hip-hop/rap music before and many used to teach moral lessons back then. It definitely felt different than the trap rap music that's been relevant since 2011? or so. Personally for me, I think teen pop music is the worst genre, but that's because it sounds too kiddish IMO and all the girly teen pop fans make it a lot more annoying that it already is.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/23/16 at 11:16 am

2009 and 2010 are the best post-2001 years for rap. There was a slight renaissance in the quality of rap which lasted from the second half of 2008 through the first half of 2011.

Very true! This and the fresh electropop songs are the main reasons why 2010 was the best year for music of my life so far.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/23/16 at 12:39 pm

Dude, that's probably the whole purpose of it. They basically use rhymes and themes of their life to make rap songs. But I don't know how it even defines the genre nowadays when it's nothing more about clubs, boring girls, etc. Especially when the beats aren't that good. But I wouldn't say that the whole history of rap was horrible. I enjoy early-mid 90s gangsta rap, since it seems badass.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/23/16 at 12:42 pm

The Beastie Boys the greatest Hip Hop group to ever grace the earth. Even if you don't like rap you should listen to the Beastie Boys.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/23/16 at 12:51 pm

The Beastie Boys the greatest Hip Hop group to ever grace the earth. Even if you don't like rap you should listen to the Beastie Boys.

Greatest to ever grace the earth!? We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I know some better hip-hop groups out there. Wu-Thang Clan or OutKast immediately come to mind.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/23/16 at 1:18 pm

I would say Encore was his last classic album, though it was much less well-received than his previous two and the songs aren't quite as memorable.  I can see why people would say the Eminem Show was the last one because it was probably his peak. Then there was Curtain Call in 2006, which was a Greatest Hits but had a few new songs on it.  Eminem changed after his drug overdose in 2007, and his songs from Relapse onward are a lot different than his earlier stuff.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/23/16 at 1:34 pm

I would say Encore was his last classic album, though it was much less well-received than his previous two and the songs aren't quite as memorable.  I can see why people would say the Eminem Show was the last one because it was probably his peak. Then there was Curtain Call in 2006, which was a Greatest Hits but had a few new songs on it.  Eminem changed after his drug overdose in 2007, and his songs from Relapse onward are a lot different than his earlier stuff.

This is a good answer. I didn't know about the drug overdose or anything like that but it makes sense as to why Relapse was a change in sound. I was thinking Eminem Show because it still had a similar feel to Slim Shady LP and MM1 but I wasn't too sure if his peaked ended before Encore or after. Does Encore have a Slim Shady theme or is Without Me the last one he did? 

Greatest to ever grace the earth!? We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I know some better hip-hop groups out there. Wu-Thang Clan or OutKast immediately come to mind.

Wu Tang are super cool but I don't think Outkast are at all better than the Beasties.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/23/16 at 2:45 pm

No it hasn't. You need to stop listening to maisntream rap and listen to underground rap which is still very good.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/16 at 3:53 pm

Dude, that's probably the whole purpose of it. They basically use rhymes and themes of their life to make rap songs. But I don't know how it even defines the genre nowadays when it's nothing more about clubs, boring girls, etc. Especially when the beats aren't that good. But I wouldn't say that the whole history of rap was horrible. I enjoy early-mid 90s gangsta rap, since it seems badass.

The early to mid 80's rap was better.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/16 at 3:54 pm

How about RUN-DMC?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/23/16 at 3:55 pm

Here's a true Golden age rap...

One, two, three, and to the four
Snoop Doggy Dogg and Dr. Dre is at the door
Ready to make an entrance, so back on up
'Cause you know we're gonna rip things up

Gimme the microphone first so I can bust like a bubble
Compton and Long Beach together so you know you're in trouble
Ain't nothin but a G thang baybay
Two loc'd out G's goin crazy
Death Row is the label that pays me
Unfadeable so please don't try to fake this

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/23/16 at 3:56 pm

Didn't one of the Wu Tang guys cut off his schlong a year or so ago? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/23/16 at 4:05 pm

Its a African American thing. Not to say that gangster rap is good. I avoid that type of hardcore rap now and diss tracks. Actually, I do prefer clean versions of Rap songs with profanity I feel is unnecessary in the song. Ludacris is like the only rapper who uses profanity that don't kill the mood. By your username, I sense you were born in 1996? If you listen to Rap, listen to old Rap.

Yeah... that's kinda racist. Not every rapper is black. There are some rappers like Eminem who aren't African-American and they're good.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/23/16 at 5:11 pm

This is a good answer. I didn't know about the drug overdose or anything like that but it makes sense as to why Relapse was a change in sound. I was thinking Eminem Show because it still had a similar feel to Slim Shady LP and MM1 but I wasn't too sure if his peaked ended before Encore or after. Does Encore have a Slim Shady theme or is Without Me the last one he did? 

I believe Without Me was the last one.

As for the drug overdose, he about died from it and had to relearn how to rap afterwards, hence the different style.  Relapse was also the first album he recorded sober. 

Another thing to mention is that between solo Eminem albums there were D12 albums.  D12 World, which came out in early 2004, was quite a bit better than Encore in my opinion.  "My Band" was a great song and more memorable than anything on Encore.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/24/16 at 1:37 am

I believe Without Me was the last one.

As for the drug overdose, he about died from it and had to relearn how to rap afterwards, hence the different style.  Relapse was also the first album he recorded sober. 

Another thing to mention is that between solo Eminem albums there were D12 albums.  D12 World, which came out in early 2004, was quite a bit better than Encore in my opinion.  "My Band" was a great song and more memorable than anything on Encore.

It makes sense why people say it's his last classic. Didn't he kill off Slim Shady sometime between Encore to Curtain Call?

I didn't know that one, either but the style change makes much more sense after reading this.

Oh yeah, I know D12. My Band is the only song of theirs I've heard, though. It's pretty funny.

Here's a true Golden age rap...

One, two, three, and to the four
Snoop Doggy Dogg and Dr. Dre is at the door
Ready to make an entrance, so back on up
'Cause you know we're gonna rip things up

Gimme the microphone first so I can bust like a bubble
Compton and Long Beach together so you know you're in trouble
Ain't nothin but a G thang baybay
Two loc'd out G's goin crazy
Death Row is the label that pays me
Unfadeable so please don't try to fake this

When men wuz G'z n women wuz hoez. get down wid da dogg suckaz. dont be a busta mark, son!

:-\\

A man's penis should be his greatest possession! >:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/24/16 at 6:25 am

A man's penis should be his greatest possession! >:(

Not for Wu-Tang Clan rapper AndrĂ© Johnson. He's now more famous as founder of the No Wang Clan.  :o

Written By: Howard on 01/24/16 at 7:57 am

Yeah.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/16 at 8:02 am

Let's compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75khfi0FW-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAeMLdiWCvA

Which do you prefer?

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/24/16 at 10:54 am

I hope you got the answer you were looking for, man. I was never a Eminem fan. I was aware of his accomplishments and popularity during his heyday though.

Yeah... that's kinda racist. Not every rapper is black. There are some rappers like Eminem who aren't African-American and they're good.

No it isn't. Hip Hop is automatically considered the worst mainly because of diss tracks by African Americans. Most haters bias while ignoring the good in the genre when really, its non of their business.

Listen to Black Zombie by Nas. He explains the whole thing.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/24/16 at 10:57 am

Let's compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75khfi0FW-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAeMLdiWCvA

Which do you prefer?

I prefer the first video. The 80's were a very classy time.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/16 at 1:59 pm

I prefer the first video. The 80's were a very classy time.

I definitely agree.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/24/16 at 2:58 pm

Not for Wu-Tang Clan rapper AndrĂ© Johnson. He's now more famous as founder of the No Wang Clan.  :o

Hahahahaha! He does not value the phallic properties!

I hope you got the answer you were looking for, man. I was never a Eminem fan. I was aware of his accomplishments and popularity during his heyday though.

Yeah, I did! :P

Written By: tv on 01/24/16 at 11:09 pm

I always thought that 1996-1998 Rap had that mass-market popularity but with still its old school roots before 1999. On a side note I remember thinking in 1999-2000 what Rap's future was after the "Bad Boy Era" of 1997-1998 was over and I thought the genre's time was over then. Than 50 Cent debut in Spring 2003 and that answered the question of what Rap's Future was. I don't think 2001-2002 were great years for rap.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/27/16 at 11:44 pm

It hasn't really been good after the Alternative rap movement in the 00s ended. Many iconic rap artists from the 90s-00s have just fell off the wagon or sold-out and submitted to the trap bandwagon. Now it's just hollering and general lack of good, unique beats and clever lyrics.

Rap kinda went on a decline from 1995 and stayed stagnant throught to 2003. In that time frame, you had good artists like Eminem, Outkast, K-os amoung others as well as the odd random gem here and there from every genre, but they were swallowed up in the annoying gangsta rap craze which, since the death of Tupac, was pretty much being zombified by 50 cent's influence.

Thankfully in 2004 the emerging Alternative rap movement began to hit it's stride in the mainstream and drown out the other genres of rap with artists like Kanye West, Lupe fiasco, Kanye Common, Mos-Def, Twista, Pusha T, K-os, Gnarles Barkley, Chamillionaire and Jay Z putting out songs with clever, thought provoking lyrics and Ludacris, Lil Wayne and TI putting fresh beats that sound great to this day. In 2007, Kanye's album Graduation beat out 50 cent's album Curtis on the market and, according to music analysts, spelled a major shift in popular hip hop. Since then, other types of rap like gangsta, snap and the likes had gradually become fewer and far between as the music industry in the late 00s had switched to a more experimental approach. The revival of Alternative rap gave way to artists like Drake, Kid Cudi and Kendrick Lamar.

But along comes trap music now to kill off the fruits of hardwork by artists like Kanye and send the rap genre into yet another death spiral. And it hasn't recovered since.

2004-2010 was the last Renaissance era of rap music. The sound was like fresh air, especially compared to now.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/28/16 at 12:27 pm

It makes sense why people say it's his last classic. Didn't he kill off Slim Shady sometime between Encore to Curtain Call?

I recently listened to Encore again.  You might be able to say "Just Lose It" was a Slim Shady anthem but it wasn't as catchy, didn't have the same feel, and wasn't as popular as his previous ones.

And I believe he did kill off Slim Shady between Encore and Curtain Call.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/29/16 at 1:21 am

I recently listened to Encore again.  You might be able to say "Just Lose It" was a Slim Shady anthem but it wasn't as catchy, didn't have the same feel, and wasn't as popular as his previous ones.

And I believe he did kill off Slim Shady between Encore and Curtain Call.

I can see how it might be some sort of anthem of some sort but it lacks the upbeat tempo and humor of the other three. It feels more like an Eminem song than a Shady song, if you catch my drift.

I think he killed Slim Shady specifically during When I'm Gone or something like that.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/24/17 at 9:05 pm

Reviving the thread for a new response. Now that it's 2017, and I'm definitely seeing rap change away from trap due to rappers such as Kendrick, Drake and J. Cole; however, it seems that the genre has turned into cynicism most likely because of the hostile environment.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/26/17 at 3:46 am

Rap music is awesome now and it has never gone bad. Just listen to underground stuff like I do, not mainstream stuff. There are plenty of great underground rappers now like Hopsin and Tech N9ne.

Written By: Howard on 06/26/17 at 7:01 am

Rap music is awesome now and it has never gone bad. Just listen to underground stuff like I do, not mainstream stuff. There are plenty of great underground rappers now like Hopsin and Tech N9ne.

I prefer early 80's rap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXNzMVLqIHg

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/26/17 at 4:02 pm

I prefer early 80's rap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXNzMVLqIHg

I prefer late 80's rap. ;)

Sql29ZdpbPk

Written By: Howard on 06/27/17 at 7:19 am

I prefer late 80's rap. ;)

Sql29ZdpbPk

We both have different tastes and that's a good thing.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 06/27/17 at 8:25 am

Reviving the thread for a new response. Now that it's 2017, and I'm definitely seeing rap change away from trap due to rappers such as Kendrick, Drake and J. Cole; however, it seems that the genre has turned into cynicism most likely because of the hostile environment.

There's some good rappers releasing good music, but that won't stop the mumble rappers like Kodak Black from releasing bad music. Playboi Carti's Magnolia is a mumble rap song that's rising every week on the charts.

The good and bad rappers will co-exist and they all seem to be very popular. Kendrick Lamar definitely had a huge increase in popularity this year, so that's good, and it does seem to be changing things.

Subject: Rap's future?

Written By: Dude111 on 06/27/17 at 10:49 am

Yes before this HIP HOP trash started!! (Worst music ever)

Written By: Howard on 06/27/17 at 1:34 pm

Yes before this HIP HOP trash started!! (Worst music ever)

That's why I like rap's past instead of rap's future.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/17 at 3:02 pm

Do you guys like rap's past or rap's future?  ???

Written By: Looney Toon on 06/28/17 at 9:25 pm

Do you guys like rap's past or rap's future?  ???

I want a new form of Hip Hop that sounds cool and new. Music thrives best when new things come around. Instead of trying to mimic old sounds either create a new genre or get the same old genre and give it a new sound. This is how Nu-Disco, Trap, Electro House, Electro Swing etc all ended up becoming popular. Heck even more internet music genres like Vaporwave and Lofi Hip Hop are somewhat popular because of this.

I'm fine with seeing rap's future as while the past is done and over there is a whole set of untapped innovation with the future. All we need is the right people and the right ideas. Although I must also stress that "new" doesn't always mean "good". Example being the bad sounds of Electro House and Trap (at least to me).

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/02/17 at 8:22 pm

Oh my.

Look what's free for download until the Fourth of July!

http://i.imgur.com/EGttuy1.jpg

https://publicenemy.bandcamp.com/

Review: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/public-enemy-release-new-lp-nothing-is-quick-in-the-desert-w489982

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/05/17 at 6:29 pm

I want a new form of Hip Hop that sounds cool and new. Music thrives best when new things come around. Instead of trying to mimic old sounds either create a new genre or get the same old genre and give it a new sound. This is how Nu-Disco, Trap, Electro House, Electro Swing etc all ended up becoming popular. Heck even more internet music genres like Vaporwave and Lofi Hip Hop are somewhat popular because of this.

I'm fine with seeing rap's future as while the past is done and over there is a whole set of untapped innovation with the future. All we need is the right people and the right ideas. Although I must also stress that "new" doesn't always mean "good". Example being the bad sounds of Electro House and Trap (at least to me).

This is true.

While I would love for 00s Hophop and prior to return (and they have on occasion), music needs to evolve.

What I do wish would happen is for trends to cycle in and out more quickly.
It prevents bad trends from fermenting and keeps good trends from becoming stale.

Written By: J. Rob on 07/12/17 at 2:37 pm

I'm feeling an energy in Hip Hop that I haven't felt since the late 90s.......I'm very cautiously optimistic.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/15/17 at 4:11 pm

I'm feeling an energy in Hip Hop that I haven't felt since the late 90s.......I'm very cautiously optimistic.

I like to think actual Hip Hop is fighting back for its place with Jay Z's new highly viewed hits and Kendrick already dominating.

Check for new replies or respond here...