inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you think the next phase of music will be like?

Written By: Slim95 on 01/24/16 at 2:18 pm

What do you think the next wave of popular mainstream music will sound like? Do you think we will hear more of the same type of music in 2016 or will we start to hear something new this year? What do you want mainstream music to sound like next? If I have to make a prediction, I think the next genre will have something to do with electronic music. I think we may see post-bubblegum pop with an electro twist or some slow electronic version of R&B that sounds similar to the late 90s/early 00's but still has a unique sound.

Subject: Re: What do you think the next phase of music will be like?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/24/16 at 2:29 pm

I honestly don't know what will it sound like, but it might be more computerized.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/24/16 at 2:37 pm

I honestly don't know what will it sound like, but it might be more computerized.

I think so too. Pretty soon we will catch up with Japan and have vocaloid holograms on the radio.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/24/16 at 2:39 pm

I think so too. Pretty soon we will catch up with Japan and have vocaloid holograms on the radio.  ;D

You know, J-pop could be popular here in the United States.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/24/16 at 3:01 pm

Its impossible to imagine beyond electronic related. Its a guarantee music won't evolve any other way. I can see fusion samples, which I think would be legendarily great. NewYorkEagle summed it up.

Written By: 2001 on 01/24/16 at 3:08 pm

You know, J-pop could be popular here in the United States.

J-pop/J-rock and pretty much all things Japan was pretty popular in Canada in the late 2000s. YouTube made the world more connected.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/24/16 at 3:14 pm

I hope the good old styles of music from the 80's to 2003 come back.

Written By: Ripley on 01/24/16 at 4:02 pm

This would be nice.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/16 at 4:09 pm

I am hoping for a more classical music sound, but I doubt it.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/24/16 at 4:26 pm

This would be nice.

Totally. I hope the fashions and trends come back, too.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/24/16 at 4:34 pm

Its impossible to imagine beyond electronic related. Its a guarantee music won't evolve any other way. I can see fusion samples, which I think would be legendarily great. NewYorkEagle summed it up.

You can't say anything is certain yet. Sure electronic music will continue, but it won't be similar to how it is now. It's possible that it could be real electronic music that becomes big, and not the overproduced stuff of this decade. The state of music now is not an absolute sign of the future! Eventually something has to give.

Written By: Ripley on 01/24/16 at 4:37 pm

Totally. I hope the fashions and trends come back, too.

Me too. Fashion now is lame to me.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/24/16 at 4:41 pm

Me too. Fashion now is lame to me.

It sure is! I'm tried of seeing people sag their skinny jeans, clothes with weird tight fits, stupid man bun haircuts, lice-infested hipster beards, thick rimmed glasses and flat hats with the stickers. In the 80's-2003, people wore stuff that stuck out and looked cool. Nowadays, everyone dresses in the exact same boring hipster/ghetto hybrid fashion. It's awful.

Written By: Ripley on 01/24/16 at 4:43 pm

I wear boot cut and flared jeans/pants. But due to skinny jeans, hammer pants and floral crap its hard to find them since that's what's in style.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/24/16 at 4:53 pm

I wear boot cut and flared jeans/pants. But due to skinny jeans, hammer pants and floral crap its hard to find them since that's what's in style.

I still dress the same as when I was a teenager. Baggy dickies, loose elbow shirts, spiky hair, bent brim backwards cap. The whole 90's/early 00's skater style. I hate clothing shopping. Let's say I want to buy a shirt and I find something that looks decent. I go into the change room and it's this awkward fitting tight shirt where the sleeves are too high up my arm but the length is so long it goes too close to the knees. It looks stupid!

Written By: Ripley on 01/24/16 at 5:02 pm

I still dress the same as when I was a teenager. Baggy dickies, loose elbow shirts, spiky hair, bent brim backwards cap. The whole 90's/early 00's skater style. I hate clothing shopping. Let's say I want to buy a shirt and I find something that looks decent. I go into the change room and it's this awkward fitting tight shirt where the sleeves are too high up my arm but the length is so long it goes too close to the knees. It looks stupid!

I dress the same as I did too, well mostly. And I like the skater style. I actually wear skate style sneakers. One style of pants I used to wear though were Tripp's. I did try jncos at one point. I like wearing band shirts but I have to order them online. I'm not into the ones stores sell. Underground and old stuff for me.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/24/16 at 5:08 pm

I dress the same as I did too, well mostly. And I like the skater style. I actually wear skate style sneakers. One style of pants I used to wear though were Tripp's. I did try jncos at one point. I like wearing band shirts but I have to order them online. I'm not into the ones stores sell. Underground and old stuff for me.

Oh, rad! I assume you wear shoes like Vans or Converse? Those are the shoes I usually wear. Man, Tripp's and JNCO's were crazy! I never wore those because they were more Gothic and Hip Hop styled so it was always the good ol' Dickies for this dude! The 3/4 shorts and tube socks combo, too! Me, too. Older underground and used-to-be-mainstream Punk/Pop Punk bands from the 80's-2003 are the shirts I wear. The stores always sell crap like 5 Seconds of Summer (who are not a real Pop Punk band like Sum 41) or Justin Bieber. 8-P I still gotta make sure the band shirts I like fit properly and aren't that stupid tight-and-hang-too-low style.

Written By: Ripley on 01/24/16 at 5:14 pm

Oh, rad! I assume you wear shoes like Vans or Converse? Those are the shoes I usually wear. Man, Tripp's and JNCO's were crazy! I never wore those because they were more Gothic and Hip Hop styled so it was always the good ol' Dickies for this dude! The 3/4 shorts and tube socks combo, too! Me, too. Older underground and used-to-be-mainstream Punk/Pop Punk bands from the 80's-2003 are the shirts I wear. The stores always sell crap like 5 Seconds of Summer (who are not a real Pop Punk band like Sum 41) or Justin Bieber. 8-P I still gotta make sure the band shirts I like fit properly and aren't that stupid tight-and-hang-too-low style.

I hate that band 5 Seconds of Summer. It reminds me more of a boy band. Yeah Tripp's are goth as I am... But I more wear jeans and the sneakers no whereas I would wear big platform shoes back then. But I'm more about the music than style anyway. :) But music wise I don't just listen to goth or industrial. Alternative is my favorite. Tonic being the best!

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/24/16 at 5:19 pm

You were lucky to be a teenager during that period. I mean, I was fortunate to be a kid during that period. But as a kid, I was mostly into kid trends like Pokemon, N64, Cartoon Network, etc. I remember liking some of the popular music as a child, but it was mostly through my older sister, who was in middle school and high school in the late 90s and early 00s.

By the time I hit middle school the whole emo trend was big, which I thought was lame, even when I was 12/13. Then from 14-17, the whole "scene look" was popular, which was even worse. I will say that I still enjoyed video games, and some T.V. shows and movies from about 2004-2010. But music in fashion was just blehh. When scene declined around 2011, hipster was on the rise (2012-2013, and continuing on now). The bane of my young adulthood  8-P

Video games for me, are kind of in a "dark age", along with music, fashion, and technology. Movies are kind of hit and miss at the moment. T.V. shows are lacking variety in my opinion, though some are pretty good stuff. Overall I think it's about time pop culture really starts kicking things into high gear again.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/24/16 at 5:39 pm

I hate that band 5 Seconds of Summer. It reminds me more of a boy band. Yeah Tripp's are goth as I am... But I more wear jeans and the sneakers no whereas I would wear big platform shoes back then. But I'm more about the music than style anyway. :) But music wise I don't just listen to goth or industrial. Alternative is my favorite. Tonic being the best!

I agree! They're awful! Oh man, I remember seeing those platform shoes everywhere I went! Those were huge back in the day! I'm super into the music so my style goes along with it. ;D I don't really listen to much goth stuff aside form some early 80's Goth-Punk bands but I know and listen to a bit of industrial like Skinny Puppy and KMFDM (I remember them being big in the late 90's/early 00's). When it comes to Alternative, my favorite bands would be stuff like REM, The Smiths and Husker Du.

You were lucky to be a teenager during that period. I mean, I was fortunate to be a kid during that period. But as a kid, I was mostly into kid trends like Pokemon, N64, Cartoon Network, etc. I remember liking some of the popular music as a child, but it was mostly through my older sister, who was in middle school and high school in the late 90s and early 00s.

By the time I hit middle school the whole emo trend was big, which I thought was lame, even when I was 12/13. Then from 14-17, the whole "scene look" was popular, which was even worse. I will say that I still enjoyed video games, and some T.V. shows and movies from about 2004-2010. But music in fashion was just blehh. When scene declined around 2011, hipster was on the rise (2012-2013, and continuing on now). The bane of my young adulthood  8-P

Video games for me, are kind of in a "dark age", along with music, fashion, and technology. Movies are kind of hit and miss at the moment. T.V. shows are lacking variety in my opinion, though some are pretty good stuff. Overall I think it's about time pop culture really starts kicking things into high gear again.

Be glad you got to experience the era in anyway! :) Some people were too young to experience the late 90's/early 00's (that's still weird to think about). It did seem like a good time to be a kid. Stuff like the N64, Gamecube, PS1, PS2, the Powerhouse era are all pretty rad. That's like me and my cousins. I used to play my Pop Punk CD's and favorite movies every time I'd visit. We'd also play video games and watch cartoons. Good times.

Yeah, that sucked for me too. As you've probably read on here a million times, I was into real Emo from the 80's to early 00's like Rites of Spring and Jimmy Eat World. That faux myspace Emo was the worst and when it evolved into scene it just got worse and worse! Hipsters are just as bad! I enjoyed video games a lot from 2004-2006, too. Some TV was also good such as the latter episodes of Malcolm in the Middle.

I agree with you on that one. Everything's become really bland and generic. I know I've probably said this so many times but back when I was in high school, if you went to a talent show you'd see a Pop Punk band, a Nu Metal, a Hip Hop band and many other types of music. They'd all dress different, too. Nowadays, you'd probably see everyone dress in that same ghetto/hipster hybrid style playing the exact same type of music.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/24/16 at 5:52 pm

I don't want skinny jeans to go away any time soon. I've recently discovered that I look good in skinny jeans because they're the only kinds of jeans that fit me perfectly and they compliment my figure. Oh, and I love florals as well.  ;D

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/24/16 at 7:21 pm

I don't want skinny jeans to go away any time soon. I've recently discovered that I look good in skinny jeans because they're the only kinds of jeans that fit me perfectly and they compliment my figure. Oh, and I love florals as well.  ;D

I'm sure you'll still have the option to buy skinny jeans, even after they inevitably go out of style. The thing is, skinny jeans really don't suit everyone. As a mainstream trend, it's horrible because the majority of people don't look good in skinny jeans. I'm guessing you fall into that small percentage that actually look good in skinny jeans, so it may be enough to keep them in the market. A niche market, mind you, but market nonetheless. Fitted jeans are generally a more suitable for those who want a slimmer cut.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/24/16 at 7:54 pm

I'm sure you'll still have the option to buy skinny jeans, even after they inevitably go out of style. The thing is, skinny jeans really don't suit everyone. As a mainstream trend, it's horrible because the majority of people don't look good in skinny jeans. I'm guessing you fall into that small percentage that actually look good in skinny jeans, so it may be enough to keep them in the market. A niche market, mind you, but market nonetheless. Fitted jeans are generally a more suitable for those who want a slimmer cut.

No one jeans style will suit everyone. That's why I think there should be more variety without one particular style falling out of favor and the people whom that style most suited having to choose between style and comfort.

I'm pretty slim myself, which is why pants shopping has always been a pain in the ass for me. Skinny jeans are Heaven-sent for me.  ::)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/24/16 at 8:16 pm

If I wore skinny jeans I'd look like a dumbass.

Written By: #Infinity on 01/24/16 at 8:17 pm

Considering the 90s were less electronic than the 80s, I don't think it's an impossibility for music to become at least a little more acoustic in the 2020s.  I'm certain electronic music will remain very popular, but hopefully there will at least be more variety.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/24/16 at 8:25 pm

No one jeans style will suit everyone. That's why I think there should be more variety without one particular style falling out of favor and the people whom that style most suited having to choose between style and comfort.

I'm pretty slim myself, which is why pants shopping has always been a pain in the ass for me. Skinny jeans are Heaven-sent for me.  ::)

Spot on, in the end, you just gotta do you  8)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/24/16 at 8:30 pm

Spot on, in the end, you just gotta do you  8)

You mean like this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ru/e/ec/Beavis_and_Butt-head_Do_U.jpg

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/24/16 at 8:55 pm

You mean like this?

;D Exactly.

Written By: Ripley on 01/24/16 at 9:45 pm

You mean like this?

LMAO

Written By: Howard on 01/25/16 at 3:55 pm

I hope so too.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/16 at 3:56 pm

I am hoping for a more classical music sound, but I doubt it.

I am hoping for more funk and disco.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/16 at 3:58 pm

If I wore skinny jeans I'd look like a dumbass.

I couldn't fit into them. ;D

Written By: Ripley on 01/25/16 at 3:58 pm

I want House to make a comeback. Not edm and dubstep. There are much better Electronic genres. It hasn't been big since the early 90's and started to fade around 96. But there are plenty of artists from then and newer ones still around. Its just underground now.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/25/16 at 4:40 pm

I couldn't fit into them. ;D

Ha! Neither could I!

Written By: Arrowstone on 01/26/16 at 12:45 am

I'm hppingg for some funky soul. Real fun!

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/26/16 at 2:55 pm

I came across this a couple weeks ago, and it's actually pretty good.

TJ5bZuUlftI

Probably one of the few decent mainstream songs. The band's early stuff (from their first album) was bad, but their newer stuff seems like a huge improvement! Their second album comes out next month. From what I've heard, it kind of has a bit of an INXS vibe. It's definitely different from the typical pop song we get nowadays.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/26/16 at 3:18 pm

Instrumentals...or songs without singing or lyrics to them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/16 at 3:31 pm

Sounds pleasant.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/16 at 3:33 pm

and real instruments too.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/16 at 3:38 pm

like The Love Unlimited Orchestra's "Midnight Groove"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT8SDKTJw0w

Written By: violet_shy on 01/26/16 at 3:39 pm

Sounds pleasant.

There have always been intsrumentals, not much of it in the mainstream though, and there should be. I 'd like to wake up one morning, turn on the FM radio station and listen to some music without any words to them...just the music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/16 at 3:42 pm

Sounds pleasant.

With proper melodies.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/26/16 at 3:57 pm

There have always been intsrumentals, not much of it in the mainstream though, and there should be. I 'd like to wake up one morning, turn on the FM radio station and listen to some music without any words to them...just the music.

There's many songs out there no matter how good or bad the lyrics are I love because of how dreamy the instrumental is.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/27/16 at 8:55 am

I want House to make a comeback. Not edm and dubstep. There are much better Electronic genres. It hasn't been big since the early 90's and started to fade around 96. But there are plenty of artists from then and newer ones still around. Its just underground now.

House/Eurodance was exciting music that made you want to get up and dance...even if you didn't know how! It's about time it became cool again!

Written By: Howard on 01/27/16 at 3:37 pm

With proper melodies.

and easy to understand lyrics.

Check for new replies or respond here...