inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When Did YouTube Go Downhill?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/31/16 at 3:39 pm

With a lot of insane and surreal corruption and greed engraved in the YouTube community in recent years, I was wondering when did YouTube start to go downhill?

While I still like the site, it has lost my interest in recent years. Especially that controversial Google+ debacle a couple years ago and a few other recent examples of blatant corruption.

I feel like the website was at its best in the late 2000's. My favorite year being 2008! It was still good for most of the early 10's, but around late 12'/early 13' was around when I felt a HUGE transition from the more independent, innovative, meme centric (in a good way) and fun aspect of the site to the vindictive, drama filled, & corrupt site we have today...

Subject: Re: When did YouTube Go Downhill?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/16 at 3:40 pm

YouTube has never gone downhill, it is still popular today as it has ever been!

Subject: Re: When Did YouTube Go Downhill?

Written By: Howard on 01/31/16 at 3:51 pm

With a lot of insane and surreal corruption and greed engraved in the YouTube community in recent years, I was wondering when did YouTube start to go downhill?

While I still like the site, it has lost my interest in recent years. Especially that controversial Google+ debacle a couple years ago and a few other recent examples of blatant corruption.

I feel like the website was at its best in the late 2000's. My favorite year being 2008! It was still good for most of the early 10's, but around late 12'/early 13' was around when I felt a HUGE transition from the more independent, innovative, meme centric (in a good way) and fun aspect of the site to the vindictive, drama filled, & corrupt site we have today...

YouTube went downhill as soon as it became like a Facebook.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/31/16 at 3:52 pm

I'm not talking about popularity, rather the community of YouTube itself

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/31/16 at 3:53 pm

Lol you got a point there. Although you could say vice versa with Facebook now having videos

Written By: 80sfan on 01/31/16 at 3:53 pm

It's still in its golden age, in my opinion.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/16 at 3:58 pm

Lol you got a point there. Although you could say vice versa with Facebook now having videos

I don't care about "thumbs up" this or "thumbs down" that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/16 at 4:00 pm

I don't care about "thumbs up" this or "thumbs down" that.
But it is an instant and easy way to know if the Video is good or bad to watch.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/31/16 at 4:02 pm

That's an interesting opinion. Most guys I know born in the late 80's feel YouTube has been sucky since the early 10's

Written By: mqg96 on 01/31/16 at 4:03 pm

There's so many different eras of Youtube we've been through that it's so scattered around now. I agree that 2008 was a great year for Youtube. Remember when users like iJustine used to be real cool! Youtube wasn't even HD yet. Youtube POOP's used to be funny. The copyright strikes weren't as strict. Those were good times.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/31/16 at 4:20 pm

There's so many different eras of Youtube we've been through that it's so scattered around now. I agree that 2008 was a great year for Youtube. Remember when users like iJustine used to be real cool! Youtube wasn't even HD yet. Youtube POOP's used to be funny. The copyright strikes weren't as strict. Those were good times.

Yeah those were truly the golden years 8)

Also remember the memes back then!?

Rick Roll

This is Sparta

That's Mama Luigi to you Mario

Lol I miss that fun aspect of the site

Written By: #Infinity on 01/31/16 at 4:22 pm

From what I personally remember, 2012 was around the time the channel started to go downhill.  I think it was sort of around then that advertisements become more commonplace, and it was also when a lot of the best early franchises started to decline in quality.

Written By: 2001 on 01/31/16 at 4:32 pm

I'm not talking about popularity, rather the community of YouTube itself

Do you mean the comment section? That would be 2005 maybe. It has always been rotten.

Written By: 2001 on 01/31/16 at 4:38 pm

From what I personally remember, 2012 was around the time the channel started to go downhill.  I think it was sort of around then that advertisements become more commonplace, and it was also when a lot of the best early franchises started to decline in quality.

I agree. But for some reason I remember the ads getting more ridiculous around 2014. By 2012 they were definitely more noticeable though.

Before that you would only get ads on sponsored channels, and every ad you watched/clicked, it would get money for the content creator. Now you get an unskippable ad on almost every video and I doubt the content creator is getting money unless it's a popular channel.

I really dislike Ad Block, I'm on Ubuntu and have disabled Flash and most Javascript so I'm not really scared of viruses, but I had to download Ad Block just for YouTube around last year. It was just too much. What's worse is you now get ads on Chromecast too.

YouTube Red still hasn't launched yet, but if their idea of selling this product is to make YouTube insufferable to browse until we subscribe, then you can count me out.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/31/16 at 4:39 pm

Rick Roll

This is Sparta

I hated Rick Roll, the rest I do remember. In regards to "This Is Sparta", 300 was one of my favorite movies of 2007 along with many others from that year.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/31/16 at 4:42 pm

I agree. But for some reason I remember the ads getting more ridiculous around 2014. By 2012 they were definitely more noticeable though.

Before that you would only get ads on sponsored channels, and every ad you watched/clicked, it would get money for the content creator. Now you get an unskippable ad on almost every video and I doubt the content creator is getting money unless it's a popular channel.

I really dislike Ad Block, I'm on Ubuntu and have disabled Flash and most Javascript so I'm not really scared of viruses, but I had to download Ad Block just for YouTube around last year. It was just too much. What's worse is you now get ads on Chromecast too.

YouTube Red still hasn't launched yet, but if their idea of selling this product is to make YouTube insufferable to browse until we subscribe, then you can count me out.

So the ad's came around 2012? I know Youtube went HD in late 2008, and when google plus started in 2013, it caused the notifications to get a lot more buggier. I miss the old inbox feature when it was a lot simpler to see people's comments and send videos to each other. Anyone remembers when the annotations feature was added to Youtube videos? Maybe it was 2009? I'm not sure since it's been a while.

Written By: 2001 on 01/31/16 at 4:45 pm

So the ad's came around 2012? I know Youtube went HD in late 2008, and when google plus crap started in 2013, it caused the notifications to get a lot more buggier. Anyone remembers when the annotations feature were added to Youtube videos? Maybe it was 2009? I'm not sure since it's been a while.

I don't really know what features got added when. The ads were there during 2008 though, I remember that. My brother started a Youtube channel because he thought he could make money.

In late 2005/early 2006 he started this really bad Sonic X abridged channel. He got banned very quickly lol.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/31/16 at 5:35 pm

There's only so many ways that you can make a video of people lighting farts or taking accidental nutshots whilst skateboarding. As a result, the novelty of YouTube is gone.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/31/16 at 6:15 pm

YouTube was great in the late 2000s. I really missed when Google wouldn't bother you to make a Google+ account, while making a creative username without actual spaces. Nowadays, when you have to make a new account on YouTube, you have to put in something filling in as your first and last name. It's stupid. Also, the community seemed to be awesome when they were sane. A lot of people back then used either Windows Movie Maker or a video camera to make their videos. Now, they're just going nuts whenever somebody makes a video with Sony Vegas. And they're infested with obsessive Five Nights at Freddy's, Minecraft, Steven Universe, My Little Pony, Undertale, PewDiePie, Smosh, Mr. Enter, SuperMarioLogan (with his godawful Bowser Jr. videos), and gamer fanboys. I can't really stand most of them, since they're childish.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/31/16 at 6:26 pm

That's another thing which makes YouTube bad nowadays. Everyone is allowed to submit copyright strikes against other people, and then they get their account terminated. It happened with I Hate Everything recently (even though his account is now back), and it's outrageous. YouTube doesn't even give a crap about what people think about it's corrupted copyright system, since they're just floating with people's money.

Written By: Ripley on 01/31/16 at 7:29 pm

I agree. Also Vevo.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 01/31/16 at 7:37 pm

That's another thing which makes YouTube bad nowadays. Everyone is allowed to submit copyright strikes against other people, and then they get their account terminated. It happened with I Hate Everything recently (even though his account is now back), and it's outrageous. YouTube doesn't even give a crap about what people think about it's corrupted copyright system, since they're just floating with people's money.

Yeah Copyright strikes are the epitome of this infectious disease in this community. Just look at these videos about all of this crazy ass drama:

iDTioYrx36whC5NWrjmEB0

bC3NIdiZF_ExFlgx2LTdeY

Also the misinformation and sh!t;ng on YouTubers without legitimate evidence

2JMZWMJVNe8

And relationship drama...

VZ27W2K12fkrX19DiD_a9E

Written By: af2010 on 02/01/16 at 4:25 am

There's only so many ways that you can make a video of people lighting farts or taking accidental nutshots whilst skateboarding. As a result, the novelty of YouTube is gone.

Agreed. Uploading and watching videos on the internet was more of a novelty when Youtube first came out. But even today, it still serves the same basic purpose. If you don't like a certain type of video, don't watch it. That's the whole point.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/01/16 at 7:06 am

I agree. Also Vevo.

Vevo was alright. It wasn't as bad as Google+ or having advertisements being shown in every single video now.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/16 at 7:37 am

But it is an instant and easy way to know if the Video is good or bad to watch.

you can always comment.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/16 at 7:38 am

Rick Roll

This is Sparta

I definitely remember Rick Roll where everytime you watched a video, a Rick Astley video would pop up. ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/01/16 at 7:40 am

Do you mean the comment section? That would be 2005 maybe. It has always been rotten.

They always seem to start arguments over at the comments section.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/16 at 7:42 am

YouTube was great in the late 2000s. I really missed when Google wouldn't bother you to make a Google+ account, while making a creative username without actual spaces. Nowadays, when you have to make a new account on YouTube, you have to put in something filling in as your first and last name. It's stupid. Also, the community seemed to be awesome when they were sane. A lot of people back then used either Windows Movie Maker or a video camera to make their videos. Now, they're just going nuts whenever somebody makes a video with Sony Vegas. And they're infested with obsessive Five Nights at Freddy's, Minecraft, Steven Universe, My Little Pony, Undertale, PewDiePie, Smosh, Mr. Enter, SuperMarioLogan (with his godawful Bowser Jr. videos), and gamer fanboys. I can't really stand most of them, since they're childish.

One account for everything Google. ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/01/16 at 7:45 am

Vevo was alright. It wasn't as bad as Google+ or having advertisements being shown in every single video now.

you can watch the advertisements or just skip it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/01/16 at 7:53 am

Or have an ad blocker to skip all of the ads.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/01/16 at 7:57 am

I don't get this "Youtuber" community drama thing. I just use YouTube to watch rad videos, tv shows and listen to music from the 80's to early 00's or to do research to strength my already accurate and 100% right points about the culture. The usual whatever pointless crap I do. I don't care about watching annoying, useless d!ckheads display their dirty underwear for all the public to see. I don't care if you like to talk over video games or tv shows, either! If I want to see that, I'll watch good ol' Beavis and Butthead thank you very much.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/01/16 at 8:04 am

I still use Youtube (now have over 1000 videos across several channels) that dedicate themselves mostly to classic TV, mostly from the 1960s-1990s. Speaking of which, one of my channels Copyright Strikes expired today and is now in good standing once again. I use ad blockers and it works effectively, and I remember when the first ads simply were a song that you click and buy and this started toward the end of 2007. Soon, this gave way to an AdWords-style text ad, followed by banner ads that take the bottom of the screen (still used today), and then of course around 2011, full ads before videos, and even later, multiple ads. It also serves as a "vending machine" for certain movies/shows that you consume once for a few days, but I have never purchased a single movie on YouTube when there is Netflix or Roku as alternatives (unless if the movie is rare). I agree that original programming isn't as good as it once was, but its still very useful. Just be mindful of what videos are acceptable and if they aren't consider Dailymotion, where instead of a Copyright Strike, all you get is a rejection there isn't a limit with regards to violations over there. The only bad thing is if you have lots to upload as Dailymotion has a two hour limit per day.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/01/16 at 8:10 am

I agree that original programming isn't as good as it once was, but its still very useful. Just be mindful of what videos are acceptable and if they aren't consider Dailymotion, where instead of a Copyright Strike, all you get is a rejection there isn't a limit with regards to violations over there. The only bad thing is if you have lots to upload as Dailymotion has a two hour limit per day.

Dailymotion seems very buggy for some reason. It's either I don't like the quality or my computer always runs slow on there. Maybe it's just me idk.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/16 at 8:28 am

Or have an ad blocker to skip all of the ads.

I'll think about installing one.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/16 at 8:30 am

I don't get this "Youtuber" community drama thing. I just use YouTube to watch rad videos, tv shows and listen to music from the 80's to early 00's or to do research to strength my already accurate and 100% right points about the culture. The usual whatever pointless crap I do. I don't care about watching annoying, useless d!ckheads display their dirty underwear for all the public to see. I don't care if you like to talk over video games or tv shows, either! If I want to see that, I'll watch good ol' Beavis and Butthead thank you very much.

I have a folder of 200 videos on YouTube and I've been part of The YIC for almost a decade.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/01/16 at 8:30 am

I'll think about installing one.

Ad-Block is really useful. I definitely recommend it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/16 at 11:02 am

Majority can be skipped after a few seconds, but some you still have to sit through.

Written By: nally on 02/01/16 at 11:03 am

Majority can be skipped after a few seconds, but some you still have to sit through.

Sometimes I even refresh my browser until I get a skippable ad.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/16 at 11:04 am

Good idea.

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/16 at 11:08 am

That doesn't always work for me, I usually get the same ad.

I just gave up and installed Ad Block. It's not the most moral behaviour, but eh, I'm not going to sit through long ads if I don't have to.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/01/16 at 11:09 am

I just gave up and installed Ad Block. It's not the most moral behaviour, but eh, I'm not going to sit through long ads if I don't have to.

Does that really work with Youtube videos? If so then PLEASE give me the link or company of that software!

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/16 at 11:13 am

Does that really work with Youtube videos? If so then PLEASE give me the link or company of that software!

I can't believe you haven't heard of it!  ;D it's the most popular Chrome and Firefox extension.

https://adblockplus.org/

I recommend turning ad block off on sites and YouTube channels you want to support. Running a website/channel isn't free!  :)

Written By: mqg96 on 02/01/16 at 11:17 am

I can't believe you haven't heard of it!  ;D it's the most popular Chrome and Firefox extension.

I recommend turning ad block off on sites and YouTube channels you want to support. Running a website/channel isn't free!  :)

I'M FREEEEE!!!! Thanks bruh!

Edit: It actually makes your computer much faster too, since ad's or pop ups on certain sites can slow your computer down.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/01/16 at 12:50 pm

Yeah I have it installed on my computer a year ago, watching YouTube videos and browsing the web has been buttery smooth. No ads at all, and my browser (Chrome) actually is much faster as well

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/01/16 at 12:52 pm

However with YouTube Red out it seems like Adblock's days are numbered...

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/16 at 1:00 pm

I do not get Adblocks on the app!

Written By: mqg96 on 02/01/16 at 1:02 pm

However with YouTube Red out it seems like Adblock's days are numbered...

What does Youtube Red have to do with Adblock's future? I thought Youtube Red was just an app or something....

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/01/16 at 1:16 pm

It allows you to skip ads on videos and on average protects you from pop ups and viruses

What does Youtube Red have to do with Adblock's future? I thought Youtube Red was just an app or something....

YouTube Red is a subscription service which allows users to legally bypass ads on YouTube, along with free access to the Google Play Music Service. If YouTube Red becomes popular with the masses this may entice YouTube to look for measures to banning, or at the very least, creating new regulations against adblock software or anything remotely similar.

Written By: nally on 02/01/16 at 2:02 pm

That has happened to me too; I've had to refresh it at least 10 times. Eventually it will either give me an ad that I can skip (after 5 seconds) or in some cases no ad at all... or I'll just deal with the darn unskippable ad. >:(

Written By: Howard on 02/01/16 at 2:59 pm

Ad-Block is really useful. I definitely recommend it.

I sometimes watch the ads like the one with the pooping unicorn.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/01/16 at 3:00 pm

I do that too.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/16 at 3:02 pm

I downloaded it, We'll see what happens.  :)

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/16 at 4:24 pm

What do you mean?

It's not an app. It's a Chrome/Firefox extension.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/01/16 at 4:26 pm

The ads themselves aren't as big of a deal as the other changes that occurred around the time they started playing ads.  The big ones for me are:

-Requirement to have a Google+ account and to use your real name to comment
-The commercialization of channels to the point it has become basically another paid content delivery system
-The fact that anybody can no longer upload a video recorded with their phone and expect to be recognized

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/16 at 4:27 pm

What do you mean?

It's not an app. It's a Chrome/Firefox extension.
I view YouTube through the YouTube app on my tablet.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/01/16 at 4:58 pm

The ads themselves aren't as big of a deal as the other changes that occurred around the time they started playing ads.  The big ones for me are:

-Requirement to have a Google+ account and to use your real name to comment
-The commercialization of channels to the point it has become basically another paid content delivery system
-The fact that anybody can no longer upload a video recorded with their phone and expect to be recognized

Yeah those are all very big changes that I am not a fan of. Thankfully they finally got rid of the requirement to use a Google Plus account, but the fact that YouTube attempted to do that was what destroyed their image

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/16 at 5:10 pm

I view YouTube through the YouTube app on my tablet.

Oh yeah, there's nothing you can do about that yet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/16 at 5:11 pm

Oh yeah, there's nothing you can do about that yet.
I still do not see any pop-ups.

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/16 at 5:13 pm

I still do not see any pop-ups.

I don't think YouTube has any pop-ups. We're talking about the ads that play before your video starts.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/16 at 5:16 pm

I don't think YouTube has any pop-ups. We're talking about the ads that play before your video starts.
I still see ads, the majority can be skipped after a few seconds, but some you still have to sit through.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/01/16 at 5:38 pm

Youtube was in it's PRIME from 2008-2011! :)  When google purchased it, the site was never ever evarrrrrrrrrr the same again!(Y2J reference). ;)
Now it's a mainstream, commercialized, over exposed piece of sheesh!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:(
Man, it feels like EVERYTHING is overexposed and commercialized nowadays! :\'(

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/16 at 6:16 pm

Youtube was in it's PRIME from 2008-2011! :)  When google purchased it, the site was never ever evarrrrrrrrrr the same again!(Y2J reference). ;)
Now it's a mainstream, commercialized, over exposed piece of sheesh!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:(

Google bought it in 2006 I think.

YouTube was always mainstream lol. I agree with you on commercialized though, but it was meant to be a product. I imagine if the original creators kept it, they would be a publicly traded company by now. No way a small company like that could afford to run such a massive website.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/01/16 at 7:49 pm

Google bought it in 2006 I think.

YouTube was always mainstream lol. I agree with you on commercialized though, but it was meant to be a product. I imagine if the original creators kept it, they would be a publicly traded company by now. No way a small company like that could afford to run such a massive website.

YouTube wasn't that mainstream in 2005 and 2006. Ever since 2007, a lot of people known the existence of YouTube. Besides, Google does that to all of their products. They're simply part of the family.

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/16 at 7:57 pm

YouTube wasn't that mainstream in 2005 and 2006. Ever since 2007, a lot of people known the existence of YouTube. Besides, Google does that to all of their products. They're simply part of the family.

2005, yes, you are right. It wasn't mainstream just yet.

But it was pretty popular in 2006. YouTube was on the front cover of NY Times Person of the Year in 2006, when "You" won. Google buying YouTube was massive news, it was already popular before then.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/01/16 at 8:10 pm

Remember when Youtube was NOT HD yet back in 2007 and most of 2008? Remember when Youtube used to have the 10 minute time limit? Now that was the old school Youtube right there!

Written By: mqg96 on 02/01/16 at 9:39 pm

Some of y'all may have kept up with this since Youtube got popular, or maybe not. It's called TTC (Trash Talking Circle) when users on Youtube trash talk each other about their favorite sports teams or rivals. However, with the generational things and how it has changed over the years. This guy brought up SO MANY good points. So many references to how Youtube has changed over the years as well. Not just in the TTC rim.

9QK8hNasJcI

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/01/16 at 10:17 pm

It is just a website. Nothing more.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/01/16 at 11:25 pm

2011-2012.

Written By: nally on 02/02/16 at 12:40 am

I agree with this post! In fact, I enjoy going to that site to listen to songs I enjoy, or to watch clips of certain TV shows... or to view something enjoyable! :) In fact, there are certain users whose uploads I tend to view on a regular basis.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/02/16 at 12:51 am

I agree with this post! In fact, I enjoy going to that site to listen to songs I enjoy, or to watch clips of certain TV shows... or to view something enjoyable! :) In fact, there are certain users whose uploads I tend to view on a regular basis.

Making music playlists on Youtube have always been fun for me.

Written By: nally on 02/02/16 at 12:55 am

Yeah, me too.

Some users, I've noticed, even use playlists to create a series of playthroughs for video games... or a series of common TV show clips.

For example... Home Alone on the Gameboy: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9DC6A62F5E3C84FF
or... various car chase scenes from a particular season of CHiPs: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLab9toAYHQqjRjx64RMrl5CVxzDHoUPBB

Written By: Howard on 02/02/16 at 7:56 am

I still see ads, the majority can be skipped after a few seconds, but some you still have to sit through.

you can either watch it or skip it.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/16 at 7:57 am

It's because it's more like a Facebook, they want you to like, comment and subscribe to channels.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/16 at 7:59 am

Remember when Youtube was NOT HD yet back in 2007 and most of 2008? Remember when Youtube used to have the 10 minute time limit? Now that was the old school Youtube right there!

Now videos can go over 10 minutes.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/16 at 8:00 am

same here, I have a jamminoldies playlist with 200 videos.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/02/16 at 8:04 am

you can either watch it or skip it.
One time, one of my favourite are was shown and I did watch it.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/16 at 8:56 am

One time, one of my favourite are was shown and I did watch it.

I like the pooping unicorn.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/02/16 at 8:59 am

I like the pooping unicorn.
That a new one for me, must be an US only ad?

Written By: nally on 02/02/16 at 10:47 am

Especially to accommodate songs that are over 10 minutes in length.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/02/16 at 10:48 am

Movies are available to watch too, which are way over 10 minutes long.

Written By: nally on 02/02/16 at 10:49 am

Yeah, some of them are even posted in segments. Part 1 through 9, or whatever.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/16 at 2:39 pm

Especially to accommodate songs that are over 10 minutes in length.

or other videos too.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/16 at 2:40 pm

some you may have to pay for.

Written By: nally on 02/02/16 at 6:07 pm

some you may have to pay for.

Yeah I think some vids that display entire TV shows require a payment.

Written By: Toon on 02/02/16 at 8:08 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbYWhdLO43Q

ಠ_ಠ.. Oh yeah I forgot about that ad.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/02/16 at 8:24 pm

Oh god, why?!  :(

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/02/16 at 9:50 pm

I mean, I miss the personal feel of YouTube in the 2000s, if I'm not getting the atmosphere of the classic YouTube confused with the feel of the 2000s. The site was completely destroyed by 2012 in my perspective. I only still use the site really just for nostalgia, certain updates now.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/02/16 at 10:55 pm

YouTube has become more of a tool these days. I miss the days when it was actually a fun, smaller social networking site. I remember YouTube all the way back from 2006 before Google even bought it that year. It was such a cool site at the time and I was constantly on it. I still use YouTube but it's not the same fun as I had in the older days. The golden years of YouTube were from 2007-2009. 2010 and 2011 were still okay and then it went downhill in 2012. I fear it will only get worse and worse, however there is still some genuine content out there if you really look.

Sometimes I actually go on DailyMotion purposely to watch videos because it reminds me of the old days of YouTube and gives me some nostalgia.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/02/16 at 11:23 pm

YouTube has become more of a tool these days. I miss the days when it was actually a fun, smaller social networking site. I remember YouTube all the way back from 2006 before Google even bought it that year. It was such a cool site at the time and I was constantly on it. I still use YouTube but it's not the same fun as I had in the older days. The golden years of YouTube were from 2007-2009. 2010 and 2011 were still okay and then it went downhill in 2012. I fear it will only get worse and worse, however there is still some genuine content out there if you really look.

Sometimes I actually go on DailyMotion purposely to watch videos because it reminds me of the old days of YouTube and gives me some nostalgia.

All of this.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/16 at 6:33 am

I do not wish to know!

Written By: nally on 02/03/16 at 12:06 pm

I do not wish to know!

Nor do I! :P :-X

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/16 at 12:07 pm

Nor do I! :P :-X
Does it deserve a fudge?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/03/16 at 2:58 pm

I mean, I miss the personal feel of YouTube in the 2000s, if I'm not getting the atmosphere of the classic YouTube confused with the feel of the 2000s. The site was completely destroyed by 2012 in my perspective. I only still use the site really just for nostalgia, certain updates now.

I agree! I'll sometimes look at old videos on YouTube like the YouTube Poops and the 'This is Sparta!' Memes, to get me my nostalgic fix lol. Along with looking at old toys, commercials, & games from my childhood ;)

Yeah it seems like the general consensus is that the site went downhill around in 2012, which I agre with! However I think things were still relatively good that year. I think when the whole Google+ debacle occurred was when the site seemed much more commercialized and sucky.

Written By: Zelek2 on 02/03/16 at 3:19 pm

Late 2013, when they switched to Google+ comments.

Let's be honest: things like Rick Roll and YTP are really only funny when you're a young teen. YouTube has similar memes today, but you probably roll your eyes at them, since you're not a teen and can't laugh at "random" humor anymore. Nothing can re-create the magic. :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/16 at 3:30 pm

Now that I am paying more attention to it, I have NOT seen an ad for three days now.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/03/16 at 3:39 pm

Late 2013, when they switched to Google+ comments.

Let's be honest: things like Rick Roll and YTP are really only funny when you're a young teen. YouTube has similar memes today, but you probably roll your eyes at them, since you're not a teen and can't laugh at "random" humor anymore. Nothing can re-create the magic. :P

You make a good point here.  I think most of the popular YouTube channels appeal primarily to teenagers.  I know I don't find stuff like Smosh near as funny as I once did, but I am sure teens love it.  Plus, today's viral videos don't hold a candle to Numa Numa kid, Rick Roll, Chocolate Rain, Double Rainbow, etc.  If I was 15 though I would probably love them.

Written By: Howard on 02/03/16 at 3:52 pm

That a new one for me, must be an US only ad?

It is a US ad, the actor Wes Tolman plays the English Prince talking about squatty potty.

Written By: Howard on 02/03/16 at 3:52 pm

Yeah I think some vids that display entire TV shows require a payment.

and you may need a credit card for that.

Written By: Howard on 02/03/16 at 3:53 pm

YouTube feels like Facebook.

Written By: Howard on 02/03/16 at 3:54 pm

Does it deserve a fudge?

I deserve the fudge.  :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/04/16 at 8:23 pm

Yeah, YouTube was a very great website during the late 2000s. I wished Google didn't make a godawful social network (Google+) to merge it with YouTube back in 2012, because it was abysmal ever since. It was simply terrible at the start of it, and nobody's doing jacksh*t to do anything about removing Google+. Nobody needed it, and YouTube forced us to use it to contribute on their website.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/04/16 at 8:25 pm

You make a good point here.  I think most of the popular YouTube channels appeal primarily to teenagers.  I know I don't find stuff like Smosh near as funny as I once did, but I am sure teens love it.  Plus, today's viral videos don't hold a candle to Numa Numa kid, Rick Roll, Chocolate Rain, Double Rainbow, etc.  If I was 15 though I would probably love them.

I'm 16, and I don't find today's viral videos to be good compared to late 2000s memes and videos. It seems really cringy nowadays.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/04/16 at 8:30 pm

I really missed when YouTube had their 10 minute time limit. I remember back when I had to click on a bunch of videos to get to other parts. Good times. :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/05/16 at 2:20 am

I agree! I'll sometimes look at old videos on YouTube like the YouTube Poops and the 'This is Sparta!' Memes, to get me my nostalgic fix lol. Along with looking at old toys, commercials, & games from my childhood ;)

Yeah it seems like the general consensus is that the site went downhill around in 2012, which I agre with! However I think things were still relatively good that year. I think when the whole Google+ debacle occurred was when the site seemed much more commercialized and sucky.

I think it went downhill the minute they went into a business deal with Google.  8-P

Written By: Toon on 02/05/16 at 3:02 am

Yeah, I loved the 2000s era of Youtube (2005-2009). It's funny to see how different Youtube is nowadays from how it was 7-11 years ago. Big Youtubers like Pewdiepie didn't exist yet. Youtubers like the Nostalgia Critic or the Angry Video Game Nerd who were still rising in popualrity at the time. Cat videos were Youtube Poops were REALLY popular at the time. It was hard to go through youtube without seeing a bunch of Youtube poop videos. A lot of videos were between 144p - 360p (I remember how excited I was when videos were finally said to be in 720p HD). I did hate how there was a trend going around where people would put screamers in their videos. For those who may not know. "Screamers" or "Jumpscare" videos are videos that usually include a LOUD sound or high pitch scream accompanied by a freaky looking image. They were made to mess with viewers, but thankfully this crazy trend died down. Back then people fell for the trick due to people not being able to look at the buffer images at the bottom of the video. Nowadays we can just look at the buffer/timeline images to see what's ahead in the video. Also some say that the Youtube community was also better. Whereas nowadays people hate the Youtube community due to how "toxic" the people in the community can be.

I also liked 2010-2011 era Youtube as well. Nowadays Youtube is even bigger than it was back then. Quite a few things have changed. I still like Youtube in 2016, but I do get a few nostalgic moments of the '00s era Youtube.

Well yeah I can image someone who was a teen in the late '00s and early '10s  enjoying the old youtube fads/jokes. But by today when they're in their late teens/early twenties I can imagine that same person who was a teen back then to not really care for simple youtube jokes/memes.

Written By: Arrowstone on 02/05/16 at 5:31 am

Around 2012?? When the slick, "always happy" vloggers took over. So fake, not funny to me. Last time  I found things really funny was things like  "auto tune the news" but yeah, that was also a fad and quite long ago now.

I only use youtube for music, maybe news or show fragments, for "how to do or repair" stuff, tedx talks or some vloggers about serious issues.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/16 at 5:49 am

Yeah, YouTube was a very great website during the late 2000s. I wished Google didn't make a godawful social network (Google+) to merge it with YouTube back in 2012, because it was abysmal ever since. It was simply terrible at the start of it, and nobody's doing jacksh*t to do anything about removing Google+. Nobody needed it, and YouTube forced us to use it to contribute on their website.

Google is just about everywhere, for everything Google. ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/05/16 at 5:50 am

I really missed when YouTube had their 10 minute time limit. I remember back when I had to click on a bunch of videos to get to other parts. Good times. :)

There are some videos that can go well over the 10 minute mark.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/16 at 5:52 am

I think it went downhill the minute they went into a business deal with Google.  8-P

Google wants to own everything, like they say "One account for everything Google".

Written By: Howard on 02/05/16 at 5:55 am

Around 2012?? When the slick, "always happy" vloggers took over. So fake, not funny to me. Last time  I found things really funny was things like  "auto tune the news" but yeah, that was also a fad and quite long ago now.

I only use youtube for music, maybe news or show fragments, for "how to do or repair" stuff, tedx talks or some vloggers about serious issues.

There's this guy Casey Neistat who vlogs all the time and plus he has his own channel.
http://style.hollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Casey-Neisat-Balenciaga-Glasses.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/05/16 at 5:56 am

There are some videos that can go well over the 10 minute mark.

But not before 2011 or something like that.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/05/16 at 12:04 pm

This.  I don't like the style of vlogs common today.  I guess it resonates with today's teenagers though.

Written By: nally on 02/05/16 at 5:12 pm

Google wants to own everything, like they say "One account for everything Google".

I notice that too. But I like having a Gmail account, just for personal email.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/05/16 at 5:14 pm

I'll just preface my post by saying that I still love YouTube today. Actually, I'd probably go so far as to say that it's still my favorite website even in 2016, as I usually spend a good 3 or 4 hours on there every day watching classic TV shows/commercials, viral videos, music videos, etc.

But, I'm not gonna lie, I really do miss the YouTube of 2006. I used YouTube for the first couple times in December 2005 and January 2006, back when the site was literally brand new and there really weren't even that many videos on it, and I saw it all unfold: the explosion of music videos in Winter and Spring of '06, the rise of the Angry Video Game Nerd after his TMNT review went viral in the Summer of '06, the initial controversy over the 10 minute time limit, early viral videos like "The Evolution of Dance", all of it. YouTube was like the wild west before Google purchased it in late 2006. There really were no rules. Copyright claims were almost never enforced, so there would be, like, entire seasons worth of shows (everything from DBZ to The Simpsons) for you to watch for free anytime you wanted, there were no ads, and the viral videos were even weirder and more random than the ones of today. Hell, there was even some porn on the site back then before they cracked down on it.

Things began to change in the second half of 2007, when the site started to crack under the threat lawsuits from companies like Viacom and removed content containing copyrighted material like shows and music videos en masse. It actually got so bad around this time, for example, that the Nostalgia Critic actually left YT altogether and started uploading his movie reviews on Blip because he was so tired of having his videos taken down. Now, like I said, I do still love YouTube to this day, but it just hasn't ever seemed as open and "free" as did during the late 2005-early 2007 era of the site.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/05/16 at 5:57 pm

I'll just preface my post by saying that I still love YouTube today. Actually, I'd probably go so far as to say that it's still my favorite website even in 2016, as I usually spend a good 3 or 4 hours on there every day watching classic TV shows/commercials, viral videos, music videos, etc.

But, I'm not gonna lie, I really do miss the YouTube of 2006. I used YouTube for the first couple times in December 2005 and January 2006, back when the site was literally brand new and there really weren't even that many videos on it, and I saw it all unfold: the explosion of music videos in Winter and Spring of '06, the rise of the Angry Video Game Nerd after his TMNT review went viral in the Summer of '06, the initial controversy over the 10 minute time limit, early viral videos like "The Evolution of Dance", all of it. YouTube was like the wild west before Google purchased it in late 2006. There really were no rules. Copyright claims were almost never enforced, so there would be, like, entire seasons worth of shows (everything from DBZ to The Simpsons) for you to watch for free anytime you wanted, there were no ads, and the viral videos were even weirder and more random than the ones of today. Hell, there was even some porn on the site back then before they cracked down on it.

Things began to change in the second half of 2007, when the site started to crack under the threat lawsuits from companies like Viacom and removed content containing copyrighted material like shows and music videos en masse. It actually got so bad around this time, for example, that the Nostalgia Critic actually left YT altogether and started uploading his movie reviews on Blip because he was so tired of having his videos taken down. Now, like I said, I do still love YouTube to this day, but it just hasn't ever seemed as open and "free" as did during the late 2005-early 2007 era of the site.

At least the mid 2007-early 2011 era wasn't as bad as now. It just sucks being a YouTuber nowadays, since it's nothing more than gamers, countdown lists, Vine lovers, and little kids on the site. It's just really f*cking bad, because it's doesn't have the talent and imagination that people had whenever they saw a lot of videos on WMM. I mean, it was really awesome when a lot of people used either video cameras, Windows Movie Maker, or Hypercam 2. Nowadays, it would look cheap as sh*t if you used those programs, while it's mainstream to use Sony Vegas, Vine, or anything HD-related. It just sucks.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/16 at 7:28 pm

This.  I don't like the style of vlogs common today.  I guess it resonates with today's teenagers though.

Why do they feel they need to vlog? ???

Written By: Howard on 02/05/16 at 7:28 pm

I notice that too. But I like having a Gmail account, just for personal email.

I have a Gmail account too.

Written By: TheKid99 on 02/06/16 at 12:08 pm

2013 was the year YouTube lost its mojo, especially with the Google + Youtube intergration that was so annoying.

I still watch YouTube and it is still alright but I am annoyed at some big channels nowadays. Even though I am the target demographic I have never really understood why everyone likes PewDiePie. I just dont like it you know.

I first started watching YouTube in 2007, when my dad and my brothers would show me BlameSocietys Chad Vader series. Then there was Charlie bit my finger and Charlie the unicorn, those were pretty good. I watched YouTube gamers also like NintendoCapriSun and Chuggaconroy. I still watch them ocassionally. Documentaries are another big thing I look for on YouTube, with 9/11 videos(even though they have been heavly edited  :-X) Financial Crisis documentaries like Meltdown or Overdose, or documentaries about say the dot com bubble or Enron. I also like watching political and history videos too. Steve Crowder is pretty cool, I cannot stand Young Turks for their overly liberal viewpoint, BTW I am a republican but I do not agree with some of their issues and I would take Marco Rubio over Donald Trump ANYDAY of the week so I guess you could say center right. CrashCourse is a great channel by John Green. I guess I still watch YouTube alot.  :) But I still think it has lost its mojo over the past three years since 2013.

AdBlock Plus is the best tool to use for YouTube ad blocking. I deactivate it only on Youtube channels that I really enjoy and want to support.  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/06/16 at 2:43 pm

2013 was the year YouTube lost its mojo, especially with the Google + Youtube intergration that was so annoying.

That's gotten annoying after a while.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/16 at 5:37 am

Now that I am paying more attention to it, I have NOT seen an ad for three days now.
I saw my first ad for some while today, it was when viewing a vevo video.

Written By: Toon on 02/07/16 at 1:59 pm

kElEmlKZ0oY

That whole Fine Bros ReactWorld event was crazy. To think that people would try and own something that is so common as "reacting" on youtube. I never liked reacting videos as it's nothing more than you watching someone watching a youtube video. But besides the Fine Bros incident it's crazy to think how different Youtube was over the 10+ years that it's been around.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/16 at 3:19 pm

Were you able to skip it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/16 at 4:02 pm

Were you able to skip it?
After a few seconds.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/07/16 at 4:35 pm

kElEmlKZ0oY

That whole Fine Bros ReactWorld event was crazy. To think that people would try and own something that is so common as "reacting" on youtube. I never liked reacting videos as it's nothing more than you watching someone watching a youtube video. But besides the Fine Bros incident it's crazy to think how different Youtube was over the 10+ years that it's been around.

That is something what I agree to. YouTube is NOTHING like it was back in the 2000s. It used to be a website just for fun, and people would love to make videos with enjoyment and laughter back then. But ever since 2010/2011, it changed into from a fun video-sharing site into a media empire. What's worse is that Google would force you to accept these rules (AKA Google+) so you can "enjoy" their sh*thole of a website. Even their community is a f*cking disgrace. They're nothing more than unintelligent gamers, little kids, reactors, Buzzfeed fans, Vine compilators, and GoAnimate fans. It's simply cringy as f*ck that people would accept these people as the new thing, and would simply replace the mainstream media on television.

Especially with their sh*t with the Fine Bros and other lets players, I feel sorry for them. YouTube would simply stick up with the claimers and make their users suffer. I wish somebody would make another video-sharing website (and no, I'm not going to Dailymotion or Vimeo) and compete against YouTube, while making it fun for the whole Internet. People should know that videos should be fun and not dominated with corporate-obsessed bastards.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/07/16 at 8:44 pm

I do not wish to know!

Now that was disturbing.  :P

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/12/16 at 8:58 pm

kElEmlKZ0oY

Yeah this was hands down the most accurate video about that debacle and how the overall state of YouTube is questionable

Written By: nally on 02/12/16 at 11:01 pm

Oh yes, VEVO videos often have a big ad attached to them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/16 at 3:45 am

Oh yes, VEVO videos often have a big ad attached to them.
Thanks, I thought so.

Written By: nally on 02/13/16 at 4:10 pm

Thanks, I thought so.

And sometimes when I'm searching on Youtube for a specific song, that's all I'll find (that is, if I want to hear the actual studio recording, not some live or in-concert performance).

Written By: Toon on 02/13/16 at 5:45 pm

That is something what I agree to. YouTube is NOTHING like it was back in the 2000s. It used to be a website just for fun, and people would love to make videos with enjoyment and laughter back then. But ever since 2010/2011, it changed into from a fun video-sharing site into a media empire. What's worse is that Google would force you to accept these rules (AKA Google+) so you can "enjoy" their sh*thole of a website. Even their community is a f*cking disgrace. They're nothing more than unintelligent gamers, little kids, reactors, Buzzfeed fans, Vine compilators, and GoAnimate fans. It's simply cringy as f*ck that people would accept these people as the new thing, and would simply replace the mainstream media on television.

Especially with their sh*t with the Fine Bros and other lets players, I feel sorry for them. YouTube would simply stick up with the claimers and make their users suffer. I wish somebody would make another video-sharing website (and no, I'm not going to Dailymotion or Vimeo) and compete against YouTube, while making it fun for the whole Internet. People should know that videos should be fun and not dominated with corporate-obsessed bastards.

Yeah this was hands down the most accurate video about that debacle and how the overall state of YouTube is questionable

Yeah I think it's safe to say that youtube nowadays is very different than it used to me. Back then you didn't find people who only cared about being famous and people uploaded whatever the heck they wanted. And they still ended up finding an audience. Nowadays it's REALLY hard to even become famous anymore. Due to their being too many famous youtubers there is now not enough room for anyone else to become popular. Mostly since instead of searching around on youtube and finding new people all users now do is just watch the people they're subscribed to. Not only that but Youtube doesn't promote the smaller channels which makes the small channels hard to find. I also liked how back then there was no "trend" or "pandering channels". By this I mean that nowadays you'd mostly find gaming videos , vlogs, prank vids, animation...that is probably game related, reaction vids (I really hate these vids), and Vines....sooo many vines. It's like if you don't do any of these things then good luck on trying to become more popular.  ::) Hell the most popular man on Youtube (Pewdiepie) mainly just plays video games and records his reactions.......and now he can be described as the face of youtube.  ??? And then you'd have someone like Markiplier who mainly does the same thing and has 7+ Million. No hate towards these guys as I'm sure they're nice people, but it does bother me on how different youtube is nowadays.

I just don't understand this. And don't get me started on how toxic the Youtube community is nowadays.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/13/16 at 7:40 pm

Yeah I think it's safe to say that youtube nowadays is very different than it used to me. Back then you didn't find people who only cared about being famous and people uploaded whatever the heck they wanted. And they still ended up finding an audience. Nowadays it's REALLY hard to even become famous anymore. Due to their being too many famous youtubers there is now not enough room for anyone else to become popular. Mostly since instead of searching around on youtube and finding new people all users now do is just watch the people they're subscribed to. Not only that but Youtube doesn't promote the smaller channels which makes the small channels hard to find. I also liked how back then there was no "trend" or "pandering channels". By this I mean that nowadays you'd mostly find gaming videos , vlogs, prank vids, animation...that is probably game related, reaction vids (I really hate these vids), and Vines....sooo many vines. It's like if you don't do any of these things then good luck on trying to become more popular.  ::) Hell the most popular man on Youtube (Pewdiepie) mainly just plays video games and records his reactions.......and now he can be described as the face of youtube.  ??? And then you'd have someone like Markiplier who mainly does the same thing and has 7+ Million. No hate towards these guys as I'm sure they're nice people, but it does bother me on how different youtube is nowadays.

I think it's safe to say that YouTube is infested with gamers. For instance, PewDiePie is the most popular YouTuber in the site, and they keep promoting his ass on the site. Pretty much any gamer would be instantly popular, because they talk about the same crap that other gamers like.

Written By: Toon on 02/13/16 at 7:58 pm

I think it's safe to say that YouTube is infested with gamers. For instance, PewDiePie is the most popular YouTuber in the site, and they keep promoting his ass on the site. Pretty much any gamer would be instantly popular, because they talk about the same crap that other gamers like.

As of this time Pewdiepie has +42 Million subs.  :o Due to youtube Promoting his channel all the time he'd be over 100+ million in no time. I just don't get it one bit. What's so appealing about gamers playing games and over reacting at everything they come across? A lot of youtubers do it, but what is it about Pewdiepie that ended up making him so popular?  >:( And yeah a lot of gamers on youtube can be said to be alike in the things they talk about. Which is probably why some would say that youtubers nowadays feel "samey".

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/16 at 1:33 am

BTW, it was this day, February 14th, in 2005 that YouTube is launched by a group of college students, eventually becoming the largest video sharing website in the world and a main source for viral videos.

Written By: Toon on 02/14/16 at 1:36 am

BTW, it was this day, February 14th, in 2005 that YouTube is launched by a group of college students, eventually becoming the largest video sharing website in the world and a main source for viral videos.

It sure has been a long way since the initial release day. Fast forward to February 14th, 2016 and be surprised on how far it's gotte- ....wait. It's Feb 14th? .......OH SNAP IT'S VALENTINES DAY!  :( I forgot...

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/14/16 at 8:43 am

It's not so much Gaming Channels, rather Lets Play Channels. I'll admit I'm not a huge Pewdiepie fan myself and it seems like his content is inescapable. However he genuinely seems like a nice guy though and you have to give him credit for the being the most subscribed YouTube channel that's pretty huge. The problem is that it has created a new Gold Rush, basically copycats trying to ride off of Pewds success. Thus the whole Lets Play bull crap seems monotonous

As of this time Pewdiepie has +42 Million subs.  :o Due to youtube Promoting his channel all the time he'd be over 100+ million in no time. I just don't get it one bit. What's so appealing about gamers playing games and over reacting at everything they come across? A lot of youtubers do it, but what is it about Pewdiepie that ended up making him so popular?  >:( And yeah a lot of gamers on youtube can be said to be alike in the things they talk about. Which is probably why some would say that youtubers nowadays feel "samey".

I agree there are so many great channels that don't get promoted :\'(

Written By: Howard on 02/14/16 at 2:56 pm

or instructions on how to play the game.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/16 at 2:57 pm

Happy 11th Anniversary.  :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/14/16 at 3:32 pm

It sure has been a long way since the initial release day. Fast forward to February 14th, 2016 and be surprised on how far it's gotte- ....wait. It's Feb 14th? .......OH SNAP IT'S VALENTINES DAY!  :( I forgot...

Well, that day was fabulous when YouTube turned five. But alas, I really wish YouTube wasn't corrupt compared to 2005-2011 (the year when Google+ was introduced).

Written By: nally on 02/14/16 at 4:42 pm

Happy 11 birthday Youtube.

Written By: Toon on 02/14/16 at 5:22 pm

Now to see what youtube will be like on its 20th birthday in 2025. Kind of curious on what trends will be big by that point.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/14/16 at 5:25 pm

Now to see what youtube will be like on its 20th birthday in 2025. Kind of curious on what trends will be big by that point.

Maybe more games or something like that.  ::)

Written By: muppethammer26 on 02/14/16 at 6:13 pm

I'm thinking YouTube will still exist by 2025 with billions of videos by that time, due to YouTube's popularity.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/14/16 at 6:16 pm

I'm thinking YouTube will still exist by 2025 with billions of videos by that time, due to YouTube's popularity.

Damn, that would just make it seem worse. I think by then I'll be watching something over than YouTube.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 02/14/16 at 6:22 pm

Damn, that would just make it seem worse. I think by then I'll be watching something over than YouTube.

It will be almost impossible to take down YouTube, because of millions of videos today and YouTube's effect on pop culture. YouTube can even exist in 50-100 years from now!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/14/16 at 6:27 pm

It will be almost impossible to take down YouTube, because of millions of videos today and YouTube's effect on pop culture. YouTube can even exist in 50-100 years from now!

Jesus Christ, that sounds like a science-fiction movie/book where something from the past is endless. I'll probably wish YouTube died during the mid-late 2020s or evolved into something else.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 02/14/16 at 6:32 pm

Jesus Christ, that sounds like a science-fiction movie/book where something from the past is endless. I'll probably wish YouTube died during the mid-late 2020s or evolved into something else.

We still have the internet (20 years), video games (40 years), television (60 years) and radio (80 years), so why not have YouTube survive for a long time like these other entertainment devices?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/14/16 at 6:35 pm

We still have the internet (20 years), video games (40 years), television (60 years) and radio (80 years), so why not have YouTube survive for a long time like these other entertainment devices?

No, it's just that I don't really like YouTube in it's current state. I don't know if it's going to be worse or better by then. I'm okay with it surviving for 100 or more years, but I'll probably quit using YouTube when somebody makes an alternative of it.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/14/16 at 6:40 pm

This pattern makes so much sense. What will be the next big revolutionary cultural icon? Teleporters? Video games where it looks like you're actually inside of the game with the graphics looking 100% real? We went from motion controls on the Wii, to the Kinect on the XBOX 360, and graphics has only kept looking sharper and sharper. We'll have to see. History tells us we'll find out next decade.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/16 at 3:02 pm

maybe more viral videos.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/16 at 3:03 pm

YouTube these days have about over 2 million people watching.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/15/16 at 3:15 pm

YouTube these days have about over 2 million people watching.

I think we have more than 2 million people watching YouTube nowadays.

Written By: Toon on 02/17/16 at 6:20 pm

O meh gawd...... As much as I like video games I'd rather that didn't happen. Tired of bumping into Let's plays, Game reviews, Game Related Animation etc. I assumed that by the '20s we'd be seeing a new trend. Although I can't see a reason as to why the gaming trend would die. The only other way is for another trend to rise up and take the attention away from video games....................but I'm not sure if that'll even happen.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/17/16 at 6:23 pm

O meh gawd...... As much as I like video games I'd rather that didn't happen. Tired of bumping into Let's plays, Game reviews, Game Related Animation etc. I assumed that by the '20s we'd be seeing a new trend. Although I can't see a reason as to why the gaming trend would die. The only other way is for another trend to rise up and take the attention away from video games....................but I'm not sure if that'll even happen.

Maybe movie buffs could take over YouTube's community and then we would have more movie-related videos. It would be better than seeing a bunch of people talking about games over and over again, that would just make it boring for their audiences.

Written By: Toon on 02/17/16 at 6:32 pm

Maybe movie buffs could take over YouTube's community and then we would have more movie-related videos. It would be better than seeing a bunch of people talking about games over and over again, that would just make it boring for their audiences.

While I would be interested in seeing that I'd also get tired of it after a year or so. I'd wish youtube would be like how it used to be back in the late '00s/early '10s where you'd see so many different kinds of videos. The advancements mid 10's youtube with the variety of late 00's youtube is what I want.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/17/16 at 8:32 pm

While I would be interested in seeing that I'd also get tired of it after a year or so. I'd wish youtube would be like how it used to be back in the late '00s/early '10s where you'd see so many different kinds of videos. The advancements mid 10's youtube with the variety of late 00's youtube is what I want.

Yeah, I wish we actually had that now. Then we wouldn't have tons of f*cking gamers plaguing YouTube like the Black Plague.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/17/16 at 8:33 pm

This all the way!

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/16 at 9:08 pm

Yeah, I wish we actually had that now. Then we wouldn't have tons of f*cking gamers plaguing YouTube like the Black Plague.

But no one is being forced to watch those videos? Unless you're complaining about the low-quality of those channels.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/17/16 at 9:28 pm

Any of you guys remember this:

Yx8KDImBNgA

This was old school YouTube!

I first saw this when I was 12, and now I'm about to be 20 :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/17/16 at 10:04 pm

But no one is being forced to watch those videos? Unless you're complaining about the low-quality of those channels.

But it's everywhere on YouTube, since they don't stop hogging their viewers with games and crap. You can't even go one day without recommendations from either PewDiePie, Mark plier, The Game Theorists, Smith, and a bunch of other people who solely contributed to the gaming community.

Written By: Toon on 02/18/16 at 12:21 am

Any of you guys remember this:

Yx8KDImBNgA

This was old school YouTube!

I first saw this when I was 12, and now I'm about to be 20 :o

Old school youtube right there.  8) I seen all the episodes of that.

Here's Episode 1 of the Angry Video Game Nerd from 2006 (you can tell it's 2006 for the fact that it can't go past 240p ;) )
V4we8iFk-fY

And the Nostalgic Critic episode 1 from 2007 (Also can't go past 240p and it looks like it was recorded from a VHS)
GYUhMzNPR4w

Classic stuff to me.  8)

Written By: Toon on 02/18/16 at 1:14 am

Here is a nostalgia critic episode from around 2007.
qjh_4Eh1v5I

From looking at the video and seeing all the people walking around and waiting for the latest Harry Potter book I'm already getting them old time feelings.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/18/16 at 8:57 am

Here's Episode 1 of the Angry Video Game Nerd from 2006 (you can tell it's 2006 for the fact that it can't go past 240p ;) )
V4we8iFk-fY

And the Nostalgic Critic episode 1 from 2007 (Also can't go past 240p and it looks like it was recorded from a VHS)
GYUhMzNPR4w

Classic stuff to me.  8)

Wow, I guess stuff that the NC and AVGN made during 2006-08 were pretty old to some of you guys.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/18/16 at 12:04 pm

V4we8iFk-fY

GYUhMzNPR4w

Classic stuff to me.  8)

Yeah I remember all of this! Also that AVGN Video was technically made and posted on AVGN's website (or some video sharing site) in 2004, before YouTube. So the video would be turning 12 years old this year :o

Written By: #Infinity on 02/18/16 at 2:27 pm

This is what the Nostalgia Critic is like nowadays...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSu0HeRnG18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6umfTLuCI8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRpIeg9eTTQ

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/18/16 at 2:37 pm

This is what the Nostalgia Critic is like nowadays...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSu0HeRnG18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6umfTLuCI8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRpIeg9eTTQ

Yeah, I've seen all of those and they suck really bad. He cares more about the skits than reviewing the actual movie now.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/18/16 at 2:45 pm

Yeah, I've seen all of those and they suck really bad. He cares more about the skits than reviewing the actual movie now.

Also, he thinks he's some SJW messenger of truth who teaches clueless Internet addicts lessons about the ways of modern society.  His show is now less about making fun of cheesy movies and television shows from the 90s and late 80s (I can understand the early 2000s now, since it's been several years since he started...) and more about referring to any movie, new or old, as an analogy for the latest Buzzfeed news story.

At least James is still really funny when he has the time for another episode.  I only made it one video into the Bad Video Game Cover Art series before abandoning it, though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/18/16 at 3:05 pm

Also, he thinks he's some SJW messenger of truth who teaches clueless Internet addicts lessons about the ways of modern society.  His show is now less about making fun of cheesy movies and television shows from the 90s and late 80s (I can understand the early 2000s now, since it's been several years since he started...) and more about referring to any movie, new or old, as an analogy for the latest Buzzfeed news story.

At least James is still really funny when he has the time for another episode.  I only made it one video into the Bad Video Game Cover Art series before abandoning it, though.

I don't think the NC does a lot of old movies though. Most of his crap are just reviews about the latest blockbusters (e.g. Jurassic World, Star Wars Episode VII, Pixels). I don't know how can he be called the Nostalgia Critic, if most of his newer reviews contain movies that are from the 2010s. If he made a review about a newer movie, then Doug could've used The Bum on that.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/16 at 3:20 pm

I know what you mean.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/18/16 at 4:02 pm

I don't think the NC does a lot of old movies though. Most of his crap are just reviews about the latest blockbusters (e.g. Jurassic World, Star Wars Episode VII, Pixels). I don't know how can he be called the Nostalgia Critic, if most of his newer reviews contain movies that are from the 2010s. If he made a review about a newer movie, then Doug could've used The Bum on that.

But he wants you to take his reviews seriously!  He's a real comedian now and not just some guy who screams in front of a white wall. >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/18/16 at 4:32 pm

But he wants you to take his reviews seriously!  He's a real comedian now and not just some guy who screams in front of a white wall. >:(

How the hell can he be taken seriously if he's nothing more than a joke. The NC is nothing more than a joke. He's less serious than he was back in 2007-2012. He actually took the movies seriously, but now most of his reviews contain skits that basically make it unfunny. Sure, he did some skits back in the pre-2013 era, but not up to the point where it's like Family Guy.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/18/16 at 11:25 pm

I don't watch much made-for-Youtube comedy but one channel I used to like was College Humor from 2007-2010. Starting around 2011 they got super lame with their weird PC SJW hipster humor. Worst of all is when they shove 90's nostalgia into it. Holy sh!t have they gotten bad.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/16 at 7:59 am

I don't watch much made-for-Youtube comedy but one channel I used to like was College Humor from 2007-2010. Starting around 2011 they got super lame with their weird PC SJW hipster humor. Worst of all is when they shove 90's nostalgia into it. Holy sh!t have they gotten bad.

I'm subscribed to College Humor, I think most of the skits are pretty funny.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/19/16 at 8:04 am

I'm subscribed to College Humor, I think most of the skits are pretty funny.

I was subscribed to them back in 2007-2011. The only skits I enjoy today are the "If Google was a Guy" and "Adam Ruins Everything" ones. The rest is a bunch of SJW PC liberal 90's nostalgia hipster nonsense.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/19/16 at 9:51 am

I was subscribed to them back in 2007-2011. The only skits I enjoy today are the "If Google was a Guy" and "Adam Ruins Everything" ones. The rest is a bunch of SJW PC liberal 90's nostalgia hipster nonsense.

I used to like CH, but it's not really funny anymore. It's just Buzzfeed's sidekick with its 90s/early 2000s nostalgia.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/19/16 at 10:01 am

I used to like CH, but it's not really funny anymore. It's just Buzzfeed's sidekick with its 90s/early 2000s nostalgia.

Yeah! It's exactly like Buzzfeed! Terrible sh!t.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/19/16 at 10:28 am

Yeah! It's exactly like Buzzfeed! Terrible sh!t.

Yeah, pretty much everything they upload is cheesy as f*ck.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/19/16 at 10:37 am

Yeah, pretty much everything they upload is cheesy as f*ck.

Out of the entire cast, I really hate Murph and Emily. They're not f*ckin' funny in the slightest.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/19/16 at 10:51 am

Out of the entire cast, I really hate Murph and Emily. They're not f*ckin' funny in the slightest.

True. They're basically stereotypical millennials.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/19/16 at 10:53 am

True. They're basically stereotypical millennials.

In the worst way. Dumbass Buzzfeed journalists who long for the "glory days of the 90's". They must of been born after 1987! ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/19/16 at 11:06 am

In the worst way. Dumbass Buzzfeed journalists who long for the "glory days of the 90's". They must of been born after 1987! ;D

Well, I don't think they're even nostalgic for the core 90s. They're just nostalgic for the late 90s/very early 00s. That's just it.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/19/16 at 11:17 am

Well, I don't think they're even nostalgic for the core 90s. They're just nostalgic for the late 90s/very early 00s. That's just it.

Yeah, like 1998-2002 or whatever. It's weird because they'll have a bunch of early 90's references in late 90's/early 00's settings. It doesn't make any sense.

Written By: 2001 on 02/19/16 at 11:25 am

I never followed College Humor all that much, but I liked their recent video on "Diet Racism". That one was pretty funny lol. There was another one paradoying Nicki Minaj's Anaconda that I liked ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/19/16 at 2:54 pm

Yeah, like 1998-2002 or whatever. It's weird because they'll have a bunch of early 90's references in late 90's/early 00's settings. It doesn't make any sense.

So they'll put in early 90s settings in their skits set in the late 90s? k...

Written By: Howard on 02/19/16 at 3:17 pm

I agree some of them aren't so funny.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/19/16 at 10:13 pm

I never followed College Humor all that much, but I liked their recent video on "Diet Racism". That one was pretty funny lol. There was another one paradoying Nicki Minaj's Anaconda that I liked ;D

I just watched that video... Oh god it was awful!

So they'll put in early 90s settings in their skits set in the late 90s? k...

Yeah, like the one where the guy travels back to the 90's and tries to stop 9/11. It makes no god damn sense because the time travel wizard is straight out of a Bill and Ted movie!!

I agree some of them aren't so funny.

Yeah, they can get really bad.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/16 at 7:45 am

I just watched that video... Oh god it was awful!

Yeah, like the one where the guy travels back to the 90's and tries to stop 9/11. It makes no god damn sense because the time travel wizard is straight out of a Bill and Ted movie!!

Yeah, they can get really bad.

Just lately I was watching a skit where the woman goes to the doctor and she wonders why her breasts are pixilated and the doctor replies that you suffer from "pixilated nipple". ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/20/16 at 9:42 am

Just lately I was watching a skit where the woman goes to the doctor and she wonders why her breasts are pixilated and the doctor replies that you suffer from "pixilated nipple". ;D

I should check that one out. The skits I really liked were the POV ones. The one when he goes to buy condoms is hilarious!

Written By: Howard on 02/20/16 at 2:33 pm

I should check that one out. The skits I really liked were the POV ones. The one when he goes to buy condoms is hilarious!

I should look into that one too.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/20/16 at 9:32 pm

I should look into that one too.

I looked up the pixelated nipple video and accidentally clicked images on google and these photos of nipples being snipped off during surgery came up. Weird sh!t. Funny video, though!

Written By: Howard on 02/21/16 at 3:07 pm

I looked up the pixelated nipple video and accidentally clicked images on google and these photos of nipples being snipped off during surgery came up. Weird sh!t. Funny video, though!

You got to go to College Humor in the YouTube search bar

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/21/16 at 3:22 pm

You got to go to College Humor in the YouTube search bar

I highlighted "pixelated nipple" from the forum and pressed "search" so it took me right to google.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/16 at 4:00 pm

I highlighted "pixelated nipple" from the forum and pressed "search" so it took me right to google.

No you have to go to YouTube and type it into the search bar, it might take you to that skit.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/21/16 at 4:06 pm

No you have to go to YouTube and type it into the search bar, it might take you to that skit.

Yeah, but I do things the lazy way. :P

Written By: Howard on 02/22/16 at 3:34 pm

Yeah, but I do things the lazy way. :P

Fine, have it your way. :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/22/16 at 3:38 pm

Fine, have it your way. :P

I like having it my way! ;)

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 03/04/16 at 8:18 am

What's your guys opinion on #WTU aka 'Where's the Fair Use?', movement going on?

zVqFAMOtwaI

Written By: Toon on 03/04/16 at 11:04 am

What's your guys opinion on #WTU aka 'Where's the Fair Use?', movement going on?

zVqFAMOtwaI

Pretty much explains how broken Youtube's Copyright system is nowadays.  >:(

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/16 at 11:22 am

I was talking with my friends today and we had a discussion about the whole copyright thing, and how some dude got his video pulled off because it had snow in it. If conversations like that is reaching coffee shops then Google better react quickly, or they might have a competitor on their hands soon.

That said, my friends are mostly nostalgic for the Youtube period when there were Dragon Ball Z and Naruto videos with Linkin Park playing in the background. That was a dark age to me 8-P ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 03/04/16 at 11:43 am

It seems like society is aching to fully enter into an era in which popular media is no longer a capitalist entity, instead evolving into a resource of free expression, both from those who create it, as well as those who refer to or respond to it. At the same time, however, musicians, filmmakers, etc. need to earn money somehow if they dedicate their lives to art, so I guess increased sponsorship is probably the only foreseeable solution to our current debate, which has really been going on since the late 90s. Since many people will want to avoid advertisements, it gives more of an advantage to subscription services like Netflix and Spotify than ever before, though I'm skeptical about the artists themselves being able to keep up.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 03/04/16 at 11:57 am

Pretty much explains how broken Youtube's Copyright system is nowadays.  >:(

I agree!

I was talking with my friends today and we had a discussion about the whole copyright thing, and how some dude got his video pulled off because it had snow in it. If conversations like that is reaching coffee shops then Google better react quickly, or they might have a competitor on their hands soon.

That said, my friends are mostly nostalgic for the Youtube period when there were Dragon Ball Z and Naruto videos with Linkin Park playing in the background. That was a dark age to me 8-P ;D

Yeah I agree with all of this. Ironic how this corrupt bull crap is reaching its peak this year, 10 years since YouTube being public! Also I miss that era of YouTube :\'(

YouTube Poops, 'This is Sparta', 'Never Gonna Give You Up!'

Be careful you may get sued ;D

It seems like society is aching to fully enter into an era in which popular media is no longer a capitalist entity, instead evolving into a resource of free expression, both from those who create it, as well as those who refer to or respond to it. At the same time, however, musicians, filmmakers, etc. need to earn money somehow if they dedicate their lives to art, so I guess increased sponsorship is probably the only foreseeable solution to our current debate, which has really been going on since the late 90s. Since many people will want to avoid advertisements, it gives more of an advantage to subscription services like Netflix and Spotify than ever before, though I'm skeptical about the artists themselves being able to keep up.

Yeah it seems like this problem is at a stalemate at the moment

Written By: Toon on 03/04/16 at 1:30 pm

HA! The Youtube of the old days. It starts off with a solid blue screen with comic sans text. Then you'll see a Naruto video featuring some chracters fighting while Linkin Park's "In the End" song plays in the background.  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/04/16 at 1:36 pm

HA! The Youtube of the old days. It starts off with a solid blue screen with comic sans text. Then you'll see a Naruto video featuring some chracters fighting while Linkin Park's "In the End" song plays in the background.  ;D

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/Node_Page/images/1257003814239.jpg

Why!? What year were these kids stuck in??

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/16 at 2:20 pm

Complete with 240p  ;D ;D That Broly trilogy ruined everything.

It wasn't really nostalgia, since 2000 wasn't really that long ago in 2005/2006. People just thought Dragon Ball Z and Linkin Park were cool and went together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKiBJ8K0Tc8

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/16 at 2:28 pm

Yeah, those were good times. Especially when they were everywhere on YouTube back in 2007-2009.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/04/16 at 2:36 pm

It wasn't really nostalgia, since 2000 wasn't really that long ago in 2005/2006. People just thought Dragon Ball Z and Linkin Park were cool and went together.

Any year before 2003 might as well have been a BC year in 2005. >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/16 at 3:13 pm

zVqFAMOtwaI

I feel neutral over this #WTFU movement. I don't know if it would save YouTube out of its broken copyright system's ass.

Written By: Howard on 03/04/16 at 4:40 pm

Wow, that actually happened? :o

Written By: Toon on 03/04/16 at 4:44 pm

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/Node_Page/images/1257003814239.jpg

People were weird back then. It was during a time where there was no real standard/trend yet. Everyone just done what they thought would be "cool" and "funny".

Complete with 240p  ;D ;D That Broly trilogy ruined everything.

Yep, pretty much a video from the old days of youtube alright. It has everything that I'd use to describe a late 00's video.

Yeah, those were good times. Especially when they were everywhere on YouTube back in 2007-2009.

And now here we are in 2016. So many problems are happening to youtube content creators, the community is toxic, copyright system is broken, 80% of vids are all gaming related with the #1 Subscribed Channel being a lets play channel ,  it's harder for smaller channels to develop etc etc. Also I liked how back then you can customize your youtube channel with cool designs/pictures. Now they removed that and all you have is just a stupid banner.  >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/16 at 5:15 pm

People were weird back then. It was during a time where there was no real standard/trend yet. Everyone just done what they thought would be "cool" and "funny".

Yep, pretty much a video from the old days of youtube alright. It has everything that I'd use to describe a late 00's video.

And now here we are in 2016. So many problems are happening to youtube content creators, the community is toxic, copyright system is broken, 80% of vids are all gaming related with the #1 Subscribed Channel being a lets play channel ,  it's harder for smaller channels to develop etc etc. Also I liked how back then you can customize your youtube channel with cool designs/pictures. Now they removed that and all you have is just a stupid banner.  >:(

Yeah, it's pretty sad that YouTube was far more successful in the late 2000s. That's how YouTube was really good back then. It was like a room you had on the Internet, but it looks lifeless because you only have a banner to customize with your YT profile.

Written By: Howard on 03/04/16 at 6:03 pm

I know, Isn't it sad?  :(

Written By: Toon on 03/04/16 at 7:55 pm

Yeah, it's pretty sad that YouTube was far more successful in the late 2000s. That's how YouTube was really good back then. It was like a room you had on the Internet, but it looks lifeless because you only have a banner to customize with your YT profile.

I know, Isn't it sad?  :(

As mentioned before the perfect youtube to me is one where it has all the latest upgrades (able to watch videos in HD and 60fps for example) along with the cool things from the late 00's youtube (less toxic community, more variety in videos, everyone has a chance at becoming popular, fully customization youtube channels etc)

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 03/04/16 at 8:29 pm

As mentioned before the perfect youtube to me is one where it has all the latest upgrades (able to watch videos in HD and 60fps for example) along with the cool things from the late 00's youtube (less toxic community, more variety in videos, everyone has a chance at becoming popular, fully customization youtube channels etc)

So basically like this:

w2JFMd73AzQ

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/16 at 8:35 pm

Sparta is 2007 when maximum video resolution was 240p. Toon is clearly talking about 2010 YouTube singing to Justin Bieber's Baby. 8)

Written By: mqg96 on 03/04/16 at 8:36 pm

Sparta is 2007 when maximum video resolution was 240p. Toon is clearly talking about 2010 YouTube singing to Justin Bieber's Baby. 8)

I thought the maximum video resolution always went up to 360p as long as I could remember, but it was a lot harder back then of course. When Youtube went HD in late 2008 that's when the 720p feature was added I think, but even then a lot of HD videos only went to 360p!

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/16 at 8:40 pm

I thought the maximum video resolution always went up to 360p as long as I could remember, but it was a lot harder back then of course. When Youtube went HD in late 2008 that's when the 720p feature was added I think, but even then a lot of HD videos only went to 360p!

According to Wikipedia, maximum video resolution was 240p until March 2008, where it was bumped to 360p. Then in December 2008, 720p was introduced.

Unpopular opinion (on these boards at least) -- Sparta was a terrible and insufferable meme.  ;D You couldn't escape it on the Internet in 2007.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/16 at 8:41 pm

So basically like this:

w2JFMd73AzQ

Along with these:

KmtzQCSh6xk
2WPCLda_erI

Written By: mqg96 on 03/04/16 at 8:45 pm

According to Wikipedia, maximum video resolution was 240p until March 2008, where it was bumped to 360p. Then in December 2008, 720p was introduced.

Yep, sounds about right. I started getting on Youtube around 2007, so my memories of the resolutions might be scattered around. December 2008 is when Youtube went HD, so 2009 was the first full year of that. It makes complete since that the HD feature was added onto Youtube right around the time HDTV's started becoming mainstream and popular around America, which was in the late 2000's to early 2010's transition around the 2008-2009 season or school year.

Written By: Toon on 03/04/16 at 8:48 pm

So basically like this:

w2JFMd73AzQ

Wow I haven't seen that meme in quite some time now.  :D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/16 at 8:50 pm

Unpopular opinion (on these boards at least) -- Sparta was a terrible and insufferable meme.  ;D You couldn't escape it on the Internet in 2007.

I respect your opinion.

How dare you say Sparta was terrible. lol

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/16 at 8:51 pm

Best 2007 meme will always be Chad Warden. You agree with me Toon, right?! ;D

There was also this beauty, although is late 2006/early 2007.

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/bf0172a3f5ca537e2ae02d415797f931aa47f6536c8d999d869677c5c7f8c9ae_1.gif

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/04/16 at 9:04 pm

Nothing like a good, old-fashioned Dragon Ball Z AMV to bring back the nostalgia. These things were everywhere in the early days of YouTube, but they actually predate YT by several years. I remember people downloading them off of stuff like Limewire and Kazaa back in 2002/2003, but, of course, I never could since we were still stuck with dial-up at that time.

And, for the record, DBZ and Linkin Park do go great together. Like peanut butter and jelly. Hybrid Theory and Toonami did dominate the early '00s after all. ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/16 at 9:48 pm

Nothing like a good, old-fashioned Dragon Ball Z AMV to bring back the nostalgia. These things were everywhere in the early days of YouTube, but they actually predate YT by several years. I remember people downloading them off of stuff like Limewire and Kazaa back in 2002/2003, but, of course, I never could since we were still stuck with dial-up at that time.

And, for the record, DBZ and Linkin Park do go great together. Like peanut butter and jelly. Hybrid Theory and Toonami did dominate the early '00s after all. ;)

Pretty much any 2000s band could go well with AMVs back in YouTube's golden age.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/04/16 at 10:45 pm

I guess a lot of 2006 kids were stuck in 2000. Did they have the frosted tips, too?

Kazaa and Limewire? I haven't heard those names in forever!! Thanks for bringing me back. Those were the good ol' dial-up Windows 98 days... I was lucky if I could get 2 songs downloaded thanks to everyone hogging up the phone. Concerning AMV's, I think I first saw one around 1999 or 2000.

Yeah, but eating that peanut butter sandwich in 2005 (or whatever) would get you sick since it was way past expired.

Written By: Toon on 03/05/16 at 12:30 am

Best 2007 meme will always be Chad Warden. You agree with me Toon, right?! ;D

There was also this beauty, although is late 2006/early 2007.

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/bf0172a3f5ca537e2ae02d415797f931aa47f6536c8d999d869677c5c7f8c9ae_1.gif

HA! Chad Warden. Just looking at that guy's videos makes me laugh. And the early 7th gen console war days is still funny to me. Although a bit weird to look forums/articles and see people refer to the Wii/PS3/XB360 as "NEW" consoles or "Next Gen". And I can't believe it's been 10-11 years since the 7th gen consoles were released.

Written By: Howard on 03/05/16 at 7:50 am

Back in 2005, YouTube was just a regular website with no added additions and that's what I liked, pure and simple.

Written By: 2001 on 03/05/16 at 10:57 am

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that! You'd download a DBZ clip off Kazaa only to discover that it's porn/goa tse.  ;D I was too scared to download anything off there.

Pretty much any 2000s band could go well with AMVs back in YouTube's golden age.

Sk8er boi doesn't go well with DBZ.  :(

HA! Chad Warden. Just looking at that guy's videos makes me laugh. And the early 7th gen console war days is still funny to me. Although a bit weird to look forums/articles and see people refer to the Wii/PS3/XB360 as "NEW" consoles or "Next Gen". And I can't believe it's been 10-11 years since the 7th gen consoles were released.

Haha, I'm reading through a lot of my 2006-2008 posts I made on Gamespot during the start of the 7th gen wars. A lot of my posts are downright stupid, but damn I knew I Was having a lot of fun.  ;D I'd say crap like "Only people who own an Xbox bought it because they wanted to see Dead or Alive shaking boobies, that's all it has."  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/05/16 at 1:30 pm

I was just saying most 2000s bands still fit in with old AMVs.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/05/16 at 2:36 pm

Is this a challenge? ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/05/16 at 2:36 pm

Is this a challenge? ;)

lol no

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/05/16 at 2:40 pm

lol no

What? You don't think I could do a good job?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/05/16 at 2:44 pm

What? You don't think I could do a good job?

Eh

Written By: mqg96 on 03/05/16 at 3:32 pm

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that! You'd download a DBZ clip off Kazaa only to discover that it's porn/goa tse.  ;D I was too scared to download anything off there.

Haha, I'm reading through a lot of my 2006-2008 posts I made on Gamespot during the start of the 7th gen wars. A lot of my posts are downright stupid, but damn I knew I Was having a lot of fun.  ;D I'd say crap like "Only people who own an Xbox bought it because they wanted to see Dead or Alive shaking boobies, that's all it has."  ;D

You could archive old Youtube videos from 2008-2010 I posted on with my old Youtube account which has no profile pic on it since it got deleted long time ago due to copyright, and I'd be laughing so hard at myself with how I spoke then.

Written By: 2001 on 03/05/16 at 5:41 pm

Is this a challenge? ;)

Is there a boy? Is there a girl?  :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/05/16 at 9:29 pm

Is there a boy? Is there a girl?  :o

Yes, when my make my AMV there will be a boy and a girl.

Written By: 2001 on 03/05/16 at 9:33 pm

Yes, when my make my AMV there will be a boy and a girl.

No way you're doing this, the amount of DBZ clips you'll have to salvage through will take forever.  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/05/16 at 9:47 pm

No way you're doing this, the amount of DBZ clips you'll have to salvage through will take forever.  ;D

I'm not only gonna add DBZ. I found a good list of anime cartoons that I can also use for this AMV.

Written By: 2001 on 03/05/16 at 9:53 pm

I'm not only gonna add DBZ. I found a good list of anime cartoons that I can also use for this AMV.

Hey, the point is to use DBZ and Linkin Park specifically.  ;D Sk8er boi and Sailor Moon doesn't count.  >:(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/05/16 at 9:55 pm

Hey, the point is to use DBZ and Linkin Park specifically.  ;D Sk8er boi and Sailor Moon doesn't count.  >:(

I already had a list, though. I googled Anime Cartoons and found some great ones to use!

Written By: 2001 on 03/05/16 at 10:32 pm

I already had a list, though. I googled Anime Cartoons and found some great ones to use!

You're going to sit through those and watch them? That's a more heroic effort than making that AMV.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/05/16 at 10:36 pm

You're going to sit through those and watch them? That's a more heroic effort than making that AMV.

I'll get random clips. No way am I sitting through this anime crap!

Check for new replies or respond here...