inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Adele

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/16 at 7:22 am

Adele has been named the world's best selling and most popular music artist of 2015.

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry gave her its global artist of the year prize in recognition of her "simply phenomenal" success.

Adele's third album 25 was not released until late November but went on to become the fastest selling album in British history.

Report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35520858

Subject: Re: Adele named the world's best-selling and most popular artist of 2015

Written By: bchris02 on 02/08/16 at 4:18 pm

Adele has been named the world's best selling and most popular music artist of 2015.

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry gave her its global artist of the year prize in recognition of her "simply phenomenal" success.

Adele's third album 25 was not released until late November but went on to become the fastest selling album in British history.

Report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35520858

I agree with this.

In an era of one-hit wonders, Adele is one of the few superstars we have right now.

Subject: Re: Adele named the world's best-selling and most popular artist of 2015

Written By: violet_shy on 02/08/16 at 4:42 pm

She's a great artist, I like her music a lot.

Written By: Howard on 02/08/16 at 4:45 pm

I like "Hello".

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/16 at 3:14 pm

I like "Hello".
I like her cover of Bob Dylan's "Make You Feel My Love" .

Written By: Howard on 02/09/16 at 4:29 pm

I like her cover of Bob Dylan's "Make You Feel My Love" .

How was the cover?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/16 at 4:30 pm

How was the cover?
Wonderful.

Written By: Paul on 02/10/16 at 5:26 am

Not the slightest bit bothered in her - sat through two of her songs, that was enough!  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/16 at 5:34 am

Not the slightest bit bothered in her - sat through two of her songs, that was enough!  :P
She is the same for me, in small doses, one track at a time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/16 at 5:25 am

Adele's warm-up gig in Los Angeles, ahead of her forthcoming concert tour, has sold out within hours of being announced.

The singer announced the one-off show just yesterday, saying tickets would be offered to California-area fans registered with her official website, Adele.com.

The concert takes place at Los Angeles' Wiltern Theatre on Friday, three days ahead of her performance at the Grammys.

Subject: Re: Adele

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/16 at 10:37 am

Pop star Adele enjoyed a rapturous reception as she opened her world tour with an intimate arena show in Belfast.
The star played 18 songs over two hours, in what was her first UK concert in four-and-a-half years.
Dedicated fans had travelled from Japan and South Africa to see her perform, but Adele also had a message for anyone attending under duress.
"I know some of you have been dragged along," she joked, "but I'm going to win you over."
"Although some of my songs get a bit depressing."
By the end of the night, however, even the steeliest of hearts would have been forced to concede she had brought the goods.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/16 at 4:17 am

Adele, who played her second gig in Belfast last night, took time out earlier in the day to visit a seriously ill 12-year-old fan in the city.  Rebecca Gibney has cerebral palsy and epilepsy and is blind. Her mum Tracy set up a social media campaign to try to get the singer to visit. Yesterday afternoon, she received a call from Adele's management to say they would be visiting their house in a hour. 

Written By: Katluver on 03/02/16 at 4:21 pm

Honestly, I find her a little overrated.  She's not a horrible singer, but her music just doesn't grab my attention.

Written By: nally on 03/02/16 at 4:25 pm

I like a number of her songs that have been hits. :)

Written By: whistledog on 03/02/16 at 5:49 pm

Her song Hello caused a bit of confusion in Canada as there is a group from British Columbia called Hedley who also had a hit here called Hello.  In 2010/2011, Martin Solveig had a massive hit with Hello and in 2012, the group Karmin had a minor hit called Hello.  Plus, who can forget Lionel Richie's memorable 1984 hit called Hello.

If someone ever says to you, "Do you like that song Hello?", you can respond:  "Which one?"

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/16 at 12:45 pm

The 1975 have knocked Adele off the top of the album chart with their second album I Love It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It.

Written By: nally on 03/04/16 at 12:58 pm

Her song Hello caused a bit of confusion in Canada as there is a group from British Columbia called Hedley who also had a hit here called Hello.  In 2010/2011, Martin Solveig had a massive hit with Hello and in 2012, the group Karmin had a minor hit called Hello.  Plus, who can forget Lionel Richie's memorable 1984 hit called Hello.

If someone ever says to you, "Do you like that song Hello?", you can respond:  "Which one?"

Oh yes, there's a whole plethora of songs with that title:
http://www.amiright.com/music-trivia/same-title-different-song/hello.shtml

Written By: Redhairkid on 03/13/16 at 7:01 pm

Boring and overrated. No thank you. But at least she seems to be all about the music rather than image so I do have a modicum of respect for her.

Written By: Katluver on 03/14/16 at 4:55 pm

Boring and overrated. No thank you. But at least she seems to be all about the music rather than image so I do have a modicum of respect for her.

My thoughts exactly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/16/16 at 12:06 pm

Adele's first full concert at the O2 in London last night wasn't just special for the chart-topping singer.

It was also a memorable evening for one pair in the audience, who got engaged while she was performing her version of Make You Feel My Love.

"That was the most beautiful thing I've ever witnessed at one of my shows," said Adele as she gave the happy couple a hug.

The pair - later identified as Natalie King and Johnny Biggle from south London - were among several fans the singer invited to join her on stage, with others including a smartly dressed young boy called Seb.

Adele will be back at the O2 later for the second of the eight concerts she is playing at the North Greenwich venue.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/16/16 at 5:30 pm

I'd like to see her do a collabo recording, with Ke$ha and Ariana Grande.  8)

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/16/16 at 9:40 pm

I'd like to see her do a collabo recording, with Ke$ha and Ariana Grande.  8)

2010s overload  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/16 at 6:53 pm

Pop star Adele has announced she will headline the Pyramid Stage at this year's Glastonbury Festival.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/16 at 3:57 am

Adele and her fans have paid tribute to the victims of Tuesday's bomb attacks in Brussels. The singer got the crowd at London's O2 Arena to sing along to one of her tracks with fans lighting up the venue with the mobile phones. Thirty-four people and 250 were injured after suicide bombers hit the airport in Brussels and a metro station. "This is Make You Feel My Love and this is for Brussels tonight," she told the crowd.

Subject: Adele named as UK's richest female musician ever as fortune hits £85m

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/16 at 3:41 am

Adele has been named as Britain's richest ever female musician, according to the Sunday Times Rich List. A list of the top 50 music millionaires in the UK and Ireland puts the singer's £85m fortune in 30th place - an increase of £35m compared to last year. The only female singer with a bigger fortune on the list - which also covers Ireland - is Irishwoman Enya on £91m. For the fifth year running Adele is also ranked top of the Young Music Rich List, covering those aged 30 and under. The 27-year-old's fortune was boosted by the November release of 25 - her first album in four years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36092235

Subject: Adele announces two more Wembley Stadium shows

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/16 at 11:43 am

Pop star Adele has added two further dates at Wembley Stadium next year, after the initial concerts sold out. Dubbed "The Finale", the four shows will see her play to more than 300,000 fans as she wraps up her world tour. The new shows will be on 28 June and 2 July, 2017, with tickets on sale from 7 December to members of her fan club.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38181406

Written By: Redhairkid on 12/03/16 at 2:05 pm

She seems to genuinely respect and care about her fans though which is more than the majority of vocalists and musicians do.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/16 at 10:21 pm

It was 5 years ago on December 5th 2011, when after spending 45 weeks at the top end of the UK charts, singer Adele's second album ‘21’ became the biggest selling LP in Britain this century, surpassing the late Amy Winehouse's 2006 LP ‘Back to Black’.

Check for new replies or respond here...