inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Zoolander sequel gets critical mauling

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/16 at 4:52 am

The reviews are out for Zoolander 2, Ben Stiller's belated sequel to his 2001 male model comedy, and they're not exactly worth striking a pose about.

"We waited 15 years for this?" wrote Variety's Justin Chang, who called the film "a cheap designer knock-off" and "a disappointment-slash-misfire".

Screen Daily's Tim Grierson said the jokes were "appreciably less funny" this time around, but admitted the film was "not without its stray hilarious moments".

That wasn't enough for the Hollywood Reporter, whose critic called the film "wildly over-plotted, under-energised a victim of overkill".

Zoolander 2 sees Stiller return as the "ridiculously good-looking" Derek Zoolander, who is recruited by a glamorous Interpol agent (Penelope Cruz) to help her investigate a slew of mysterious celebrity murders.

Previews for the film were held in UK cinemas over the weekend and the film has its official release on Friday.

Subject: Re: Zoolander sequel gets critical mauling

Written By: #Infinity on 02/10/16 at 1:43 pm

Well, the reviews so far certainly aren't flattering, but they're hardly the worst that a comedy sequel could get, either.  The movie certainly isn't Son of the Mask or Caddyshack II.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/16 at 3:32 pm

The reviews are out for Zoolander 2, Ben Stiller's belated sequel to his 2001 male model comedy, and they're not exactly worth striking a pose about.

"We waited 15 years for this?" wrote Variety's Justin Chang, who called the film "a cheap designer knock-off" and "a disappointment-slash-misfire".

Screen Daily's Tim Grierson said the jokes were "appreciably less funny" this time around, but admitted the film was "not without its stray hilarious moments".

That wasn't enough for the Hollywood Reporter, whose critic called the film "wildly over-plotted, under-energised a victim of overkill".

Zoolander 2 sees Stiller return as the "ridiculously good-looking" Derek Zoolander, who is recruited by a glamorous Interpol agent (Penelope Cruz) to help her investigate a slew of mysterious celebrity murders.

Previews for the film were held in UK cinemas over the weekend and the film has its official release on Friday.

It was that horrible?  :o

Written By: Ripley on 02/10/16 at 5:56 pm

I still want to see it. And I will be sporting my own "blue steel" look when I get to lol

Written By: #Infinity on 02/10/16 at 8:16 pm

It only has like a 39% so far on Rotten Tomatoes.  That's more mixed than anything else and frankly expected of a sequel to a comedy that only got decent critical reviews in the first place.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/10/16 at 8:23 pm

I'm surprised they made a sequel of this and waited this long to do it too (15 years?).

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 02/11/16 at 1:59 am

I didn't like the first one, so I had my doubts the second one would be worth ones monies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/16 at 6:08 am

I still yet to see "Zoolander" properly.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/16 at 4:05 pm

I'm surprised they made a sequel of this and waited this long to do it too (15 years?).

They waited 20 years to make Dumb And Dumber.

Check for new replies or respond here...