inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hipsters trying to revive the cassette

Written By: bchris02 on 02/15/16 at 2:15 am

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2015/09/30/cassette-tapes-are-back-but-whos-listening.html

Vinyl I understand. People like the warm, analog sound and the experience of putting needle to groove.  On a high-quality audio system, it really does sound better.  However, I can't think of a single reason though to use cassette. It has no advantage.  It sounds worse than any other format and is the least durable.  You can't say they are more portable anymore because you can fit 1000+ songs on a device the size of a cassette tape in your pocket and it sounds better as well. 

The only format its superior to is 8-track and the only reason cassettes lasted as long as they did is because it was still the primary medium for listening to music in cheap cars as late as the early 2000s when all autos finally started coming with CD players. Today, actually finding a decent cassette player is probably difficult.

For those who have old mixtapes or rare albums produced only on cassette, I can see wanting to hang onto them. Those who do should probably digitize them ASAP because cassettes don't last forever. Outside of that, the cassette is a format that should go into the trash heap of history.

Subject: Re: Hipsters trying to revive the cassette

Written By: 2001 on 02/15/16 at 2:20 am

I don't know how to tell you this man, but hipsters revived vinyl first :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/15/16 at 2:21 am

I think cassette tapes rule, though... :(

In, like, what? 2008 or something?

Written By: 2001 on 02/15/16 at 2:25 am

I think cassette tapes rule, though... :(

In, like, what? 2008 or something?

I think so. The same time those thick framed glasses came around and other vintage items :P

Written By: bchris02 on 02/15/16 at 2:26 am

First of all, vinyl has been on the upswing since before the hipster era and it does have its advantages if you have a quality stereo system.  Many DJs and serious audiophiles never stopped using vinyl even during the peak of the CD era.

Cassette?  I don't see a point.  It sounds the worst, its the least durable, and the least convenient.  As I have said, the only thing worse is the 8-track.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/15/16 at 2:28 am

I think so. The same time those thick framed glasses came around and other vintage items :P

In 2008 I remember on the news they were talking about "vinyls comeback" and Green Day were being big douches (as usual) talking about it.

First of all, vinyl has been on the upswing since before the hipster era and it does have its advantages if you have a quality stereo system.  Many DJs and serious audiophiles never stopped using vinyl even during the peak of the CD era.

Cassette?  I don't see a point.  It sounds the worst, its the least durable, and the least convenient.  As I have said, the only thing worse is the 8-track.

Cassettes = Good if you like 70's and 80's Punk

CD = Good if you like 90's and early 00's Pop Punk

Vinyl = Good if you like anything not recorded digitally. If you're buying albums recorded/mastered digitally on vinyl, you're wasting your money.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/15/16 at 2:35 am

Cassettes = Good if you like 70's and 80's Punk

If you have anything never released on CD or digital, you probably want to look at digitizing your collection.

CD = Good if you like 90's and early 00's Pop Punk

I agree with this.  The CD was an awesome medium until the loudness wars caused the sound quality to go through the floor. Even then, it was my preferred format through up around 2004.

Vinyl = Good if you like anything not recorded on digital. If you're buying albums recorded/mastered digitally on vinyl, you're wasting your money.

I agree with this.  I haven't bought into the vinyl craze for new music because its mastered digitally so I am unable to tell a difference.  With older music however, there is a pretty big difference.  The vinyl sounds much more rich and pleasing to the ear.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/15/16 at 2:41 am

If you have anything never released on CD or digital, you probably want to look at digitizing your collection.

Most of it's on vinyl but I like to listen to it on cassette when I'm on the go because it keeps the rawness of the Punx. Original Punk Rock is supposed to be raw like a worn out cassette. Other music from then that's more polished from those days I agree with. It's better on CD but I still like popping in the tape.

I agree with this.  The CD was an awesome medium until the loudness wars caused the sound quality to go through the floor. Even then, it was my preferred format through up around 2004.

100%. I still like my CD's as they aren't compressed to fit on an mp3 player. iTunes is honestly a waste of money.

I agree with this.  I haven't bought into the vinyl craze for new music because its mastered digitally so I am unable to tell a difference.  With older music however, there is a pretty big difference.  The vinyl sounds much more rich and pleasing to the ear.

Exactly. When it comes to older recordings, vinyl is the way to go. Digital music can be cold and compressed especially when looking at the old skool sh!t. The smoothness and warm analog feeling of the sound is the way those songs are meant to be heard, in my opinion. It's the truest way to listen to music aside from seeing the band live. I've heard some albums either re-mastered or originally recorded digitally and it sounds terrible. I love Enema of the State but have you heard it on vinyl? 8-P You can tell it's not the same as an album from the 80's which was actually recorded on reel to reel tape (another great analog format).

Written By: Howard on 02/15/16 at 2:56 pm

When did that happen?

Written By: Howard on 02/15/16 at 3:00 pm

speaking of cassette tapes, I recorded music from the radio almost 30 years ago I wonder if still works?

Written By: bchris02 on 02/15/16 at 3:13 pm

I threw out all of my cassette mixtapes in 2009.  Nowadays I kind of wish I wouldn't have done it, but I don't own a cassette player to play them on even if I did have them.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/16 at 5:20 pm

My 8-track is still going strong.

It's the only way to truly experience Iron Butterfly's "In a Gadda Da Vida".  8)

Written By: violet_shy on 02/15/16 at 6:53 pm

speaking of cassette tapes, I recorded music from the radio almost 30 years ago I wonder if still works?

I use to that, and I still have all of my cassette tapes. Both recorded and store bought.

Written By: Howard on 02/16/16 at 2:54 pm

It's the only way to truly experience Iron Butterfly's "In a Gadda Da Vida".  8)

after 40 years, it still works?  :o

Written By: Howard on 02/16/16 at 2:55 pm

I use to that, and I still have all of my cassette tapes. Both recorded and store bought.

I have my cassette tapes stored in a box, recorded off the radio in 1986 and 1987.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/17/16 at 4:38 pm

I guess you like listening to a format that seems obsolete to compact cassette tapes. Just saying.

Written By: Toon on 02/17/16 at 6:09 pm

Death to the hipsters! How dare they try to revive cassettes! >:(

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/16 at 6:10 pm

Death to the hipsters! How dare they try to revive cassettes! >:(

You calling Jordan a hipster?  :P

Written By: violet_shy on 02/17/16 at 6:14 pm

I have my cassette tapes stored in a box, recorded off the radio in 1986 and 1987.

Mine are all from the '90s. Sometimes I listen to some of them, I have a small cassette player. Good to have if I ever feel nostalgic. :)

Written By: Toon on 02/17/16 at 6:16 pm

................................Yes  8)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/17/16 at 6:24 pm

More like a nostalgic hipster.

Written By: Toon on 02/17/16 at 6:29 pm

He owns over 20 different kinds of V-necks. 100% hipster material.  ;)

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/16 at 6:33 pm

He owns over 20 different kinds of V-necks. 100% hipster material.  ;)

>:( >:(

100% hipster material? Vegan-friendly? :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/17/16 at 10:04 pm

I'm not a hipster! Just because I like discmans and Walkmans don't mean no thing. I just long for better times (the 80's to 2003).

You guys don't understand me.

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/16 at 10:48 pm

More like a nostalgic hipster.

So basically hipster.

Written By: Toon on 02/18/16 at 12:17 am

I'm not a hipster! Just because I like discmans and Walkmans don't mean no thing. I just long for better times (the 80's to 2003).

You guys don't understand me.

Longing for the past isn't what makes you a hipster, but when you start to grow a neckbeard my hipster alarms will go off. Also apparently I still own a discman. Was sitting in a box in my closet. I haven't seen or used it for ages.

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/16 at 12:19 am

Longing for the past isn't what makes you a hipster, but when you start to grow a neckbeard my hipster alarms will go off. Also apparently I still own a discman. Was sitting in a box in my closet. I haven't seen or used it for ages.

Hipster.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/18/16 at 12:24 am

I am beard free. I look more like a member of Sum 41 than I do Imagine Dragons, even in my old age.

http://i.imgur.com/BVGgBsK.jpg

You know what'd I do with that discman? I'd put a copy of Home Grown's Act Your Age, blink-182's Enema of the State, New Found Glory's self-titled, Sum 41's All Killer No Filler or Simple Plan's No Pads, No Helmets... Just Balls (Huh, I wonder what years these albums encompass) with my Puka Shell necklace and go skateboarding.

Hipster.

That was rude. Just because he doesn't listen to Cute Is What We Aim For and Boys Like Girls like you do, doesn't mean he's a hipster.

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/16 at 12:28 am

I am beard free. I look more like a member of Sum 41 than I do Imagine Dragons, even in my old age.

You know what'd I do with that discman? I'd put a copy of Home Grown's Act Your Age, blink-182's Enema of the State, New Found Glory's self-titled, Sum 41's All Killer No Filler or Simple Plan's No Pads, No Helmets... Just Balls (Huh, I wonder what years these albums encompass) with my Puka Shell necklace and go skateboarding.

That was rude. Just because he doesn't listen to Cute Is What We Aim For and Boys Like Girls like you do, doesn't mean he's a hipster.

Only Boys Like Girls I know is the Good Charlotte song. Damn, now I'm hipster.  :-X

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/18/16 at 12:29 am

Only Boys Like Girls I know is the Good Charlotte song. Damn, now I'm hipster.  :-X

Pre 2003:
3FTS2tdmyYM

Post 2003:
o0c-kC8xZ-I

;)

Written By: Toon on 02/18/16 at 12:30 am

Hipster.

ಠ_ಠ You just called me a hipster, mate! Now it's time to hunt you down and destroy you!  >:(

Written By: Toon on 02/18/16 at 12:32 am

That guy in the picture is tooXtreme!  :o . That old man lives in a world that never evolved past 2002-2003. A world where being  Xtreme! is all people ever want to be for the rest of their lives. I need to check to see that discman still works.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/18/16 at 12:37 am

That guy in the picture is tooXtreme!  :o . That old man lives in a world that never evolved past 2002-2003. A world where being  Xtreme! is all people ever want to be for the rest of their lives. I need to check to see that discman still works.

He's stuck in 1998-2002! I bet he thinks like my gramps but instead of '80, he's saying "society hasn't changed since 1998!" and is loving it. I bet he still has all the original copies of Tony Hawk Pro Skater on both the PS1 and 2 because he's just that Xtreme! Remember, you know what CD's to put in the Discman if it works as they are the utmost Xtreme!

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/16 at 12:38 am

Pre 2003:

Post 2003:

;)

Post 2003 fashion is better at least lol. :P :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/18/16 at 12:44 am

Post 2003 fashion is better at least lol. :P :P

What!? No! SOCIETY'S DOWNFALL STARTED IN 2003! FASHION WAS MUCH BETTER BEFORE 2003!!!!! YOU WERE ONLY BORN IN 1993 HOW WOULD YOU KNOW YOU WEREN'T OF AGE TO FULL ABSORB THE CULTURE OF THE TIME!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

A HIGH SCHOOL BAND PRE 2003!!!!!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KbyeG5Jr4EQ/UyO8WJ6a4fI/AAAAAAAABHQ/WdQ9Ey8SPqA/s1600/shortfall.jpg

POST 2003!!!!!!!!
http://i.imgur.com/YACNyp8.jpg

IT'S OBVIOUS SOCIETY HAS NOT BEEN GOOD SINCE!!!!!!!!!!

Am I convincing enough? ;D ;)

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/16 at 12:57 am

What!? No! SOCIETY'S DOWNFALL STARTED IN 2003! FASHION WAS MUCH BETTER BEFORE 2003!!!!! YOU WERE ONLY BORN IN 1993 HOW WOULD YOU KNOW YOU WEREN'T OF AGE TO FULL ABSORB THE CULTURE OF THE TIME!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

POST 2003!!!!!!!!

The first half of 2004 was early 2000s bro.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/18/16 at 12:58 am

The first half of 2004 was early 2000s bro.

8-P

Early 00's = 1998-2003

I don't wanna see no filthy 2004 anywhere near it!!

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/16 at 1:04 am

8-P

Early 00's = 1998-2003

I don't wanna see no filthy 2004 anywhere near it!!

I love the early 2000s! My favourite movies from the era are Mean Girls and Harold & Kumar.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/18/16 at 1:08 am

I love the early 2000s! My favourite movies from the era are Mean Girls and Harold & Kumar.

http://freeiconbox.com/icon/256/31032.png

Oh, lemme guess, your favorite "early 00's" albums also happen to be American Idiot, Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge and you loved "browsing MySpace in the early 00s!"

How about some "early 00's emo" from 2005:
https://upvoted.com/2015/12/08/this-is-what-the-emo-kids-of-the-early-2000s-look-like-today/

Very early 00's.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/18/16 at 1:29 am

They still sell CD players and even cassette players at Best Buy. So I don't think owning a portable CD player is all that far fetched. In fact, Best Buy even sells cassette players, to my surprise.

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/16 at 8:44 am

http://freeiconbox.com/icon/256/31032.png

Oh, lemme guess, your favorite "early 00's" albums also happen to be American Idiot, Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge and you loved "browsing MySpace in the early 00s!"

How about some "early 00's emo" from 2005:
https://upvoted.com/2015/12/08/this-is-what-the-emo-kids-of-the-early-2000s-look-like-today/

Very early 00's.

My favourite early 2000s album is Move Along by All-American Rejects.

DAMN most of those kids were cool, but I feel old now if all these emo kids are in their 30s  :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/18/16 at 8:50 am

My favourite early 2000s album is Move Along by All-American Rejects.

DAMN most of those kids were cool, but I feel old now if all these emo kids are in their 30s  :o

That album isn't bad but in no way is it early 00's! Their only real early 00's release is their 2002/2003 self-titled! Excuse me, but I know what I'm talking about, thank you. I know my early 00's better than the rest of the world as I see through a different lens. >:(

;)

Those kids are not in anyway cool nor are they early 00's. Do the mid 00's just not exist? Are the early 00's so iconic that everything from 2004-2006 is just thrown in with "early 00's"!? I'm sorry but choosing your MySpace layout and top 5 friends is mid 00's, dudes. In the early 00's, we were lucky enough if our dial-up finished loading before somebody picked up the phone. >:( >:( >:( >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/18/16 at 8:52 am

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KbyeG5Jr4EQ/UyO8WJ6a4fI/AAAAAAAABHQ/WdQ9Ey8SPqA/s1600/shortfall.jpg

POST 2003!!!!!!!!
http://i.imgur.com/YACNyp8.jpg

I love of how you acted like TheEarly90sGuy in that post. lol

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/18/16 at 8:55 am

I love of how you acted like TheEarly90sGuy in that post. lol

Hahaha, thanks! I think I did a pretty good job of getting his mannerisms down. He makes generous use of the caps lock.

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/16 at 8:59 am

That album isn't bad but in no way is it early 00's! Their only real early 00's release is their 2002/2003 self-titled! Excuse me, but I know what I'm talking about, thank you. I know my early 00's better than the rest of the world as I see through a different lens. >:(

;)

Those kids are not in anyway cool nor are they early 00's. Do the mid 00's just not exist? Are the early 00's so iconic that everything from 2004-2006 is just thrown in with "early 00's"!? I'm sorry but choosing your MySpace layout and top 5 friends is mid 00's, dudes. In the early 00's, we were lucky enough if our dial-up finished loading before somebody picked up the phone. >:( >:( >:( >:(

Woah you liked the album? I thought you'd hate it being TheEarly00sGuy and hating anything post-first-half-of-2004.

To be fair to everyone else, the 2000s can be divided into only two parts, early and late. Early is 2000-2006, late is 2007-2009.  ;)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/18/16 at 9:03 am

Woah you liked the album? I thought you'd hate it being TheEarly00sGuy and hating anything post-first-half-of-2004.

To be fair to everyone else, the 2000s can be divided into only two parts, early and late. Early is 2000-2006, late is 2007-2009.  ;)

I don't like it, I kinda tolerate it since they're not being all Panic At The Disco about it. It's the least obvious-with-their-poetry-and-theater-productions mid 00's album I know. It's not great and their first album is their only real Emo album. Everything after 2003 is too bad for this Early 00s Guy! ;) First half of 2004 don't even get a chance.

No! 8-P 2000-2002 should be kept faaarrrr away from 2004-2009.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/16 at 3:22 pm

I guess you like listening to a format that seems obsolete to compact cassette tapes. Just saying.

I do but just sometimes.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/16 at 3:25 pm

They still sell CD players and even cassette players at Best Buy. So I don't think owning a portable CD player is all that far fetched. In fact, Best Buy even sells cassette players, to my surprise.

like old school cassette players? ???

Written By: muppethammer26 on 02/25/16 at 5:54 pm

What happens if you still have a recordable cassette player and you record some of the 2010s music on tape, how it would sound like? Is there any difference between recording 2010s music and recording 1980s/1990s music on a cassette tape?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/25/16 at 6:00 pm

What happens if you still have a recordable cassette player and you record some of the 2010s music on tape, how it would sound like? Is there any difference between recording 2010s music and recording 1980s/1990s music on a cassette tape?

It would sound terrible because the 2010's is the most digitally processed decade by far concerning recording technology. The 90's is iffy because it a lot of the music from that time was recorded either digitally or on analog. Still, digital music in the 90s or even 00s wasn't that processed so it wouldn't sound as bad. 95% of 80s music would sound fine on tape since digital was fairly new and not used much.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/16 at 8:28 am

I don't think it will sound great.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/26/16 at 10:54 pm

It would sound terrible because the 2010's is the most digitally processed decade by far concerning recording technology. The 90's is iffy because it a lot of the music from that time was recorded either digitally or on analog. Still, digital music in the 90s or even 00s wasn't that processed so it wouldn't sound as bad. 95% of 80s music would sound fine on tape since digital was fairly new and not used much.

Man this decade and it's infatuation with "digital this" and "digital that". I mean, I know digital technology existed in previous decades, but now things are going way too far, especially with music production. Sure, the popular styles of this decade are already terrible, but the fact that the production is over-processed makes things even worse! Is there any hope for the future?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/26/16 at 11:48 pm

Man this decade and it's infatuation with "digital this" and "digital that". I mean, I know digital technology existed in previous decades, but now things are going way too far, especially with music production. Sure, the popular styles of this decade are already terrible, but the fact that the production is over-processed makes things even worse! Is there any hope for the future?

This era is the worst when it comes to music production by far. In previous decades, albums were mastered properly and made to sound good. Nowadays, they're mastered for iPod headphones. Can you imagine that? It's ridiculous. The styles are awful and fake and the production goes hand in hand with that. I really hope the 2020's are better but my hopes are moderate, not high.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/27/16 at 1:15 am

Doubtful. Even my doctor is giving digital examinations.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/16 at 8:03 am

Who knows, maybe in the next 5-10 years there might be.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/27/16 at 8:12 am

Back when I was 10 or so, on long car rides I had some tapes to listen to in a portable player to kill the boredom. It was a pain in the butt rewinding the thing to hear my favorite songs over again. I was glad with CD players you could skip around without having to wait.

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/16 at 10:33 am

Aren't CDs considered digital? Unless by digital you guys mean non-physical.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/27/16 at 11:05 am

Well, it's recorded digitally, but not at the same level as digital media.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/27/16 at 11:31 am

I'm talking about the recording techniques themselves and mastering, not necessarily the formats they're played on. When it comes to mastering, there's a difference between mastering for a decent stereo system and for iPod Headphones (8-P).

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/27/16 at 2:15 pm

like old school cassette players? ???

I'm not sure, there was only one available at the time, and this is what it looked like:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/memorex-cassette-player-with-am-fm-radio-gray/5568321.p?id=1218662123044&skuId=5568321

Written By: muppethammer26 on 02/27/16 at 6:01 pm

I'm not sure, there was only one available at the time, and this is what it looked like:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/memorex-cassette-player-with-am-fm-radio-gray/5568321.p?id=1218662123044&skuId=5568321

I never knew there's still cassette players being sold in 2016, but I usually see portable CD players and MP3 players on sale in most stores.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/16 at 6:22 pm

I remember those.

Check for new replies or respond here...