inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Late 2000s vs Mid 2010s

Written By: cool123 on 02/20/16 at 8:35 pm

Which one do you prefer?

Subject: Re: Late 2000s vs Mid 2010s

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/20/16 at 9:09 pm

Well now that it's '16 aren't we in the late 2010's? ???

Written By: mqg96 on 02/20/16 at 9:09 pm

Lifestyle and political wise it's definitely the late 2000's. Economically it's the mid 2010's. Pop culturally I think it's debatable though. The late 2000's had some really good movies, but so has the 2010's as well. I still think that 2012 & 2013 were the best years for movies of this decade so far, but that was still the early 2010's though. One could argue that the 2010's have better television shows, since the late 2000's was a weak period for TV in my opinion.  You have access to other stuff as well. We don't just have cable TV, but we can watch shows on Netflix or Hulu as well.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/20/16 at 11:44 pm

I strongly prefer the mid 2010's. The only upper hand I'd give the late 2000's in is the mainstream video games. Indie video games of the 2010's are better though. But besides that, I think the mid 2010's have better: music, movies, comic books, novels, and fashions. I like how the mid 2010's are more subdued and reserved compared to the wackier and gaudier late aughts.

Also, isn't this decadeology?

Written By: #Infinity on 02/20/16 at 11:49 pm

Late 2000s, easily.  Back then, YouTube was new and exciting, social media didn't yet consume everything, music was a mixed bag but still produced some really memorable hits, most people were still pretty friendlily laid back, and there were still thriving DDR/StepMania communities on the Internet.  You all already know why I can't stand the mid-2010s, so I won't get into detail there.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/20/16 at 11:59 pm

Chronologically speaking, that wouldn't be until this September, but I don't think we've made it to the cultural late 2010s yet, anyway.  There are clearly still a lot of major cultural changes on their way, such as the election of the next American President, Pokémon GO, DC Extended Universe movies, mobile Nintendo games, the Nintendo NX, current popular TV/Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime Video shows ending or declining while new ones take their place, and possibly increased commercial acceptance of VR headsets.  The current atmosphere still hardly feels any different from late 2013, in my opinion.

Written By: Fearsword on 02/21/16 at 12:36 am

Late 2000s and early 2010s by a mile. My personal life wasn't great then but the music was fun, catchy and danceable compared with the dull, boring indie music of today. Movies are about the same, though at least the mid 10s don't have abominable Twilight. Fashion was a bit more polished then, compared with the scraggy hipsters we have today.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/21/16 at 7:46 am

Late 2000's for sure. It was a good time in my life despite the economic crisis. Here's how I look at it:

Mid 2000's>Late 2000's>Early 2010's>Mid 2010's.

I may be pessimistic but I think the Late 2010's are going to be even worse, regardless of who our next president is because it will probably be either Trump or Hillary.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/21/16 at 8:12 am

Chronologically speaking, that wouldn't be until this September, but I don't think we've made it to the cultural late 2010s yet, anyway.

We are in the late mid 2010's then.

Written By: TheKid99 on 02/21/16 at 8:15 am

So far the mid 2010s have been pretty good. Even though the beginning(2013) was really really hard my life has gotten better. The late 2000s were a nostalgic time to look back on. I still lived in my huge old house and I was just a kid. The financial crisis suprisingly did not affect our family much other than our house bring foreclosed on. My dad didn't lose his job. My mom was a stay at home mom at this time.  We had some savings saved up so we could weather through the rock bottom which was 2013. I still say the mid 2010s over the late 2010s. I'm enjoying life much more than the late 2000s. Even though last year was probably the last full year of the mid 2010s I still consider right now the mid 2010s until I see a huge change in many things.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/21/16 at 8:46 am

most people were still pretty friendlily laid back,

Really? I think people in the 2010's are actually a lot friendlier and less uptight compared to the 2000's.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/21/16 at 9:02 am

Really? I think people in the 2010's are actually a lot friendlier and less uptight compared to the 2000's.

It all depends on what you mean by friendly. If you mean less homophobia, bigotry, and ignorance within most people, then yes the 2010's are much nicer than the 2000's in that department.

However we also have become extremely politically correct to the point that if you don't agree with a feminist, a black lives matter protestor, or anybody striving for political justice (and rightfully so) 100%, then your unjustly labeled a bigot, racist, or anything above those lines.

Plus on the conservative side with the backlash of Extreme Left Wing Policies and Thought bubbles conservatives, especially with the rise of Donald Trump, are not afraid to show their true colors and say derogatory names and they could give two craps if you label them a bigot.

Because of this, the 2010's seems much more vile in comparison to the 2000's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/21/16 at 9:11 am

Late 2000s obviously. I can't really stand the mid 2010s, nor the whole 2010s in general since it's just nothing more than crap. Even though the late '00s were economically terrible, I'll still side with it because I was still happy as sh*t back then. The 2010s were basically nothing more than a depressing-ass decade filled with overrated media that doesn't deserve to be made (e.g. today's children's television, modern YouTube videos, Game of Thrones, etc.)

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/21/16 at 9:44 am

It all depends on what you mean by friendly. If you mean less homophobia, bigotry, and ignorance within most people, then yes the 2010's are much nicer than the 2000's in that department.

However we also have become extremely politically correct to the point that if you don't agree with a feminist, a black lives matter protestor, or anybody striving for political justice (and rightfully so) 100%, then your unjustly labeled a bigot, racist, or anything above those lines.

Plus on the conservative side with the backlash of Extreme Left Wing Policies and Thought bubbles conservatives, especially with the rise of Donald Trump, are not afraid to show their true colors and say derogatory names and they could give two craps if you label them a bigot.

Because of this, the 2010's seems much more vile in comparison to the 2000's.

You don't get what I'm saying. At all. I'm talking about general approachability. Interacting with people in everyday life.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/21/16 at 11:05 am

You don't get what I'm saying. At all. I'm talking about general approachability. Interacting with people in everyday life.

Social media has negatively impacted that.  People just seem more artificial now than they did in 2007.  They gain friends by posting dumb Instagram photos for likes or whining about either social justice or "traditional values" rather than doing something more productive on the Internet.  Unlike what I remember during high school, it's now very hard to fit in with other communities of my generation unless you're really active on social media.  I've also come across so many utterly fake people on dating websites (which are influenced by social media) that it's disgusting and I've virtually given up.  I would have thought that all of the progressivism we've seen in the 2010s would've led to others embracing me as somebody talented and special, but instead I constantly find myself ignored and unappreciated, more than ever before.  I know I just said I wouldn't go into detail about my dislike of the mid-2010s, but I think there's a clear difference between everyday behavior in the late 2000s and today, and personally, I don't find all of the PC, social media-obsessed, narcissistic cultural conformists of today friendly and approachable.

To be fair, at the heart of it all, I've still never been touched in my life, in spite of my best and most passionate efforts, as well as wanting it for 12 years and counting.  I get plenty of compliments about how beautiful I am, yet I just can't seem to find anybody in the lesbian community with whom I have a rapport with.  It's hard for me to even put myself out in public social situations because I always feel jealous and lonely when other people my age have boyfriends or girlfriends or mention them in conversations.  I can't usually talk about my lovesickness with anybody aside from my therapist, as most people keep telling me to focus on some specific activity or career instead of love.  The problem is, I've become so demotivated by years of never being able to find love that my heart is hardly in most of what I do.  Love is really the only thing I'm passionate about, and the way everybody talks about it makes it seem like it should be a reasonable enough to at least experience it if you desire, but ughhh, I guess it has to be so impossible for me, no matter how sincere, how friendly, or how true to myself I am.  I wouldn't be so bitter about mid-2010s SJW culture if I actually saw results in my own personal life; those same people who complain about how much commoners don't understand the nature of bigotry are the ones who won't ever admit to loving or appreciating me for all of my unique (or hindering, I guess...) qualities.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/21/16 at 11:10 am

But that's the point dude. Everybody is offended by everything today and like what #infinity said everybody is more consumed on their devices and social media profiles, than actual good friend ships with people. The mixture of a heated political climate and lack of social communication has made everyday communication in the 2010's much more of a novelty. We are all guilty of having some obsession to some extent whether it's social media, Internet forums like this, or just our own social and political causes; but I'm glad to have close and genuine friends that accept me for who I am. That's really hard to come by these days...

Written By: #Infinity on 02/21/16 at 11:18 am

I'm glad to have close and genuine friends that accept me for who I am. That's really hard to come by these days...

Yeah, to be fair, I do have a few people in my life who I still get along with really well and who appreciate me for all that I am, but most of them are hard for me to contact except digitally.  I only wish I could find somebody of the same caliber who was also a lesbian like myself.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/21/16 at 11:31 am

I'm scared for kids today. I remember growing up when I could tell who was my friend and who wasn't. When I was a kid, I didn't have any internet and as I got older, I didn't give a rat's ass about texting and AOL was a pain in the ass to use thanks to dial-up. We had Cell Phones but they weren't as consuming as they are today to the point where people are losing their social skills and developing social anxiety and depression. You try approach people today, they get pissed because you interrupted their phone time. Boo hoo. When I had a problem with someone, I figured out what I had to do. I actually talked to them and solved it or I decided that person didn't have a place in my life. Face-to-face. I didn't play silly instagram-Facebook tag. Friends, family, girlfriends, it was all the same. I got to know people by hanging out with them in person; digging deeper than superficial things. In today's social media driven world, superficial things are all that matter. Even people my age who I meet these days! They've become just as fake as any "cohort" of younger millennial dudes. If someone tells you guys "people my age are better" they're lying. People's lives, their entire identities, are based upon what they post online. That's sad. When I think back to my time growing up, it's like in Full House how everyone in the family learns how to communicate with one another and help each other out. That's how me, my brother and my sister were growing up. Do kids today even have that support from their friends and/or family anymore? Not saying that things back in the day were perfect but you had more space to breathe it felt a lot more organic. Human beings are becoming less like humans are more like extensions of their phones. And yes, not the other way around. Needless to say, I agree 100% with what Infinity and Ocarina Fan posted above.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/21/16 at 11:51 am

Yeah, to be fair, I do have a few people in my life who I still get along with really well and who appreciate me for all that I am, but most of them are hard for me to contact except digitally.  I only wish I could find somebody of the same caliber who was also a lesbian like myself.

Don't worry I'm sure there's someone out there that would love for who you are! Don't lost hope, your a nice person ;)
I'm scared for kids today. I remember growing up when I could tell who was my friend and who wasn't. When I was a kid, I didn't have any internet and as I got older, I didn't give a rat's ass about texting and AOL was a pain in the ass to use thanks to dial-up. We had Cell Phones but they weren't as consuming as they are today to the point where people are losing their social skills and developing social anxiety and depression. You try approach people today, they get pissed because you interrupted their phone time. Boo hoo. When I had a problem with someone, I figured out what I had to do. I actually talked to them and solved it or I decided that person didn't have a place in my life. Face-to-face. I didn't play silly instagram-Facebook tag. Friends, family, girlfriends, it was all the same. I got to know people by hanging out with them in person; digging deeper than superficial things. In today's social media driven world, superficial things are all that matter. Even people my age who I meet these days! They've become just as fake as any "cohort" of younger millennial dudes. If someone tells you guys "people my age are better" they're lying. People's lives, their entire identities, are based upon what they post online. That's sad. When I think back to my time growing up, it's like in Full House how everyone in the family learns how to communicate with one another and help each other out. That's how me, my brother and my sister were growing up. Do kids today even have that support from their friends and/or family anymore? Not saying that things back in the day were perfect but you had more space to breathe it felt a lot more organic. Human beings are becoming less like humans are more like extensions of their phones. And yes, not the other way around. Needless to say, I agree 100% with what Infinity and Ocarina Fan posted above.

I agree bro. My cohort, Aka Younger Millennials, are such s disgrace :P

I wish I was a Core-Late Gen Xer, like someone born in like 1975 or 1976 so I could of been a twenty something in the 90's. However there are some perks about being young adult in this decade, such as the advanced technology, but everything has a little bit of good and bad. Yes we are more connected than ever before, but people are as dived as ever!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/21/16 at 12:00 pm

I wish I was a Core-Late Gen Xer, like someone born in like 1975 or 1976 so I could of been a twenty something in the 90's. However there are some perks about being young adult in this decade, such as the advanced technology, but everything has a little bit of good and bad. Yes we are more connected than ever before, but people are as dived as ever!

Nowadays everybody's becoming the problem, even late Gen X'ers. It kinda sucks for you guys since you have to grow up with this cancerous superficial mindset but it definitely sucks on the older Millennial side of the fence, too. It's stupid. The amount of (roughly) 33-45 year olds on the internet flaunting their kids to inflate their egos makes me sick. Leave your phone at home and take them for a picnic at the park! It gets even worse when you have people of my age trying to seem "fun, young and sexy" (8-P) by posting a god-awful amount of f*cking photos of them doing who-knows-what. So many reasons I and my wife don't have Facebook. People are so much stupider thanks to social media.

I'm pretty happy with when I grew up but I'd be nice if I was born in the late 60's so I could experience the 80's (my favorite decade) though teen-adult eyes. That last sentence rings true.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/21/16 at 12:24 pm

I'm pretty happy with when I grew up but I'd be nice if I was born in the late 60's so I could experience the 80's (my favorite decade) though teen-adult eyes. That last sentence rings true.

I'd personally have been happy to have been born in the late 70s so that I could experience my childhood in the 80s, my adolescence in the 90s, and young adulthood during the Y2K era!  By the time popular culture began declining into what it is now, I'd already have everything under control!  Alas, I wasn't alive for any of the 1980s, and I'm only just old enough to have memories of the mid-90s.  I do still have some positive memories of the 2000s, especially Dance Dance Revolution, but I just wish I had grown up during the period that popular culture actually resonated with me as a person!

Written By: #Infinity on 02/21/16 at 12:25 pm

Don't worry I'm sure there's someone out there that would love for who you are! Don't lost hope, your a nice person ;)

Thank you so much for the kind words, they truly mean a lot to me! <3

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/21/16 at 12:28 pm

Let's just say that kids would pay attention to the Internet more than their parents. As for anyone else who's under 35, it's kinda sad for them too. My mom basically uses her iOS devices to watch Netflix, text message her friends, and call them. She still socializes with a lot of her friends.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/21/16 at 12:30 pm

I'm a proud 2000s kid, but it would've been nice if I was born in the early-mid 90s and experience the 2000s through older kid-teen eyes.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/21/16 at 12:35 pm

I'd personally have been happy to have been born in the late 70s so that I could experience my childhood in the 80s, my adolescence in the 90s, and young adulthood during the Y2K era!  By the time popular culture began declining into what it is now, I'd already have everything under control!  Alas, I wasn't alive for any of the 1980s, and I'm only just old enough to have memories of the mid-90s.  I do still have some positive memories of the 2000s, especially Dance Dance Revolution, but I just wish I had grown up during the period that popular culture actually resonated with me as a person!

I definitely see why. I play into my dislike of post-2003/2004 a little bit for humor purposes but when it comes to the 2000's, it's no lie that I love 2000-2002 the most. Along with 1994-1999 (teen wise) and 1984-ish to 1994 (childhood wise), it was great to be alive when stuff resonated with me. When I'd flip on MTV and the radio and everything just clicked. I miss when American Pie, Can't Hardly Wait, Scooby Doo and Spider-Man were the hit movies! I cherish the memories I had seeing those films in theaters. Even the Hip Hop and Nu Metal of the time. I may not exactly like it but it sure as hell felt like my time. The rivals of my time, maybe. Especially when I had to keep my little sister away from that Nu Metal boy she liked! ;D Starting around 2003 and getting worse throughout the real 2004-onward 2000's, I just lost that connection with everything. I can't resonate with real 2000's culture like I could with the mighty 2000-2002 culture (to me, those are the three last great years).

I'm a proud 2000s kid, but it would've been nice if I was born in the early-mid 90s and experience the 2000s through older kid-teen eyes.

Experiencing the early 00's being older was super rad!

Let's just say that kids would pay attention to the Internet more than their parents. As for anyone else who's under 35, it's kinda sad for them too. My mom basically uses her iOS devices to watch Netflix, text message her friends, and call them. She still socializes with a lot of her friends.

That sucks to hear. It's too bad that connection people used to have with brothers and sisters is going away in favor of smartphones and iPads. It's good your mom still socializes with her friends, though.

Written By: cool123 on 02/21/16 at 12:47 pm

I'm a 2000s kid. I grew up during the late 2000s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/21/16 at 1:39 pm

Experiencing the early 00's being older was super rad!

It would've been cool if I were an early-mid 2000s kid. The late 2000s were okay, but not as good as 2000-2006.

That sucks to hear. It's too bad that connection people used to have with brothers and sisters is going away in favor of smartphones and iPads. It's good your mom still socializes with her friends, though.

Thanks. :)

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/21/16 at 2:08 pm

All of the people I met in my life I could call real friends is from 1994-2010. That was sadly the last time I seen my latest friends, but I know we would still have that connection if we run into each other today. I still see my earliest group, 1994-2006, amazingly.

As far a love interest, I believe school is the best time to find that someone since you get to know them enough seeing them through the whole year. Once you finish college, that's a wrap.

On to the topic, I like the early 2010s but I would still most likely choose the Late 2000s. I miss my school life, which made my past social life the G.O.A.T. Ever since I graduated, my life has been basically isolated.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/21/16 at 2:33 pm

Can someone explain to me what "GOAT" means? I see you guys say it a lot on the forum but I have no clue what it stands for.

Written By: Toon on 02/21/16 at 2:34 pm

Can someone explain to me what "GOAT" means? I see you guys say it a lot on the forum but I have no clue what it stands for.

I think "GOAT" means "Greatest of all time".

Written By: Toon on 02/21/16 at 2:37 pm

Lifestyle and political wise it's definitely the late 2000's. Economically it's the mid 2010's. Pop culturally I think it's debatable though. The late 2000's had some really good movies, but so has the 2010's as well. I still think that 2012 & 2013 were the best years for movies of this decade so far, but that was still the early 2010's though. One could argue that the 2010's have better television shows, since the late 2000's was a weak period for TV in my opinion.  You have access to other stuff as well. We don't just have cable TV, but we can watch shows on Netflix or Hulu as well.

To me it's a bit of a tie. I like the lifestyle of the late '00s, but I also like how the mid '10s is a in a better state economically.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/21/16 at 2:38 pm

It means "Greatest of all time."

Toon got it right.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/21/16 at 2:39 pm

Yeah, for
I think "GOAT" means "Greatest of all time".

Oooh, I got ya'. I didn't understand the goat obsession at first but that sure explains a lot! Thanks!

Written By: Howard on 02/21/16 at 3:02 pm

Yes.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/16 at 3:03 pm

probably had less stress.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/16 at 3:05 pm

Greatest Of All Time

Written By: #Infinity on 02/21/16 at 3:17 pm

Oooh, I got ya'. I didn't understand the goat obsession at first but that sure explains a lot! Thanks!

I think LL Cool J coined the term:

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0002/488/MI0002488729.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVY_NhSw5e0

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/21/16 at 3:20 pm

I think LL Cool J coined the term:

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0002/488/MI0002488729.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVY_NhSw5e0

Woah, this came out in 2000! I am late to the party!!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/21/16 at 4:27 pm

Thank you so much for the kind words, they truly mean a lot to me! <3

Your very welcome! And we are all here for you

Yeah the 2000's weren't perfect, but overall were a great decade to grow up in! Starting off the decade as a pre schooler and ending off as a young teenager in middle school!

I'm a 2000s kid. I grew up during the late 2000s.

What year were you born?

All of the people I met in my life I could call real friends is from 1994-2010. That was sadly the last time I seen my latest friends, but I know we would still have that connection if we run into each other today. I still see my earliest group, 1994-2006, amazingly.

As far a love interest, I believe school is the best time to find that someone since you get to know them enough seeing them through the whole year. Once you finish college, that's a wrap.

On to the topic, I like the early 2010s but I would still most likely choose the Late 2000s. I miss my school life, which made my past social life the G.O.A.T. Ever since I graduated, my life has been basically isolated.

Yeah I miss my middle school years (except for 8th grade) in the late 2000's. It was when I started to transition into a teen, but I still felt like an older child to some extent.

Junior & Senior Years of High School, and my College years so far have been pretty good to me personal life wise. In fact when I'm much older, I'll probably look back on the 2010's nostalgically in the sense of how my personal life was, not so much pop culture!

Greatest Of All Time

Yeah that's how I always saw it as!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/21/16 at 4:31 pm

Overall in terms of personal life probably the mid 2010s.
Politically and lifestyle wise HANDS DOWN the late 2000s. Things were more peaceful back then.
Culutrally speaking, in terms of video games: the late 00s BAR NONE! Movies and Television: mid 2010s  Musically: Late 00s NO CONTEST!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/21/16 at 4:33 pm

I wish I was a core Yer or at least on the cusp of core and late like a 91 or 92er.

Written By: Toon on 02/21/16 at 4:36 pm

Woah, this came out in 2000! I am late to the party!!

Oh wow! For someone who likes the early '00s I'm surprised you didn't know about the term "GOAT"!  ;D Where have you been for the past 16 years?! :D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/21/16 at 4:38 pm

It obviously means Greatest of all Time. And you are blessed to have the same name as the guy who is the GOAT!
http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/53/5310/R8OIG00Z/posters/michael-jordan-2011-portrait-plus.jpg

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/21/16 at 4:56 pm

Oh wow! For someone who likes the early '00s I'm surprised you didn't know about the term "GOAT"!  ;D Where have you been for the past 16 years?! :D

I must of slept through the entire thing! I am surprised at myself for not knowing about this! I've heard songs off that GOAT album on the radio, too!

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/16 at 4:58 pm

Mid-2010s any day of the week. The core 2000s in general were awful awful awful.

Written By: cool123 on 02/21/16 at 4:59 pm

What year were you born?

I was born in 2000.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/21/16 at 5:02 pm

I was born in 2000.

WOW! :o ??? :D
We are getting more and more younger people every damn day. :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/21/16 at 5:05 pm

It obviously means Greatest of all Time. And you are blessed to have the same name as the guy who is the GOAT!
http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/53/5310/R8OIG00Z/posters/michael-jordan-2011-portrait-plus.jpg

Guys named Jordan are always the GOAT.

Written By: TheKid99 on 02/22/16 at 8:10 am

At least I am not the youngest on here anymore.  ;D (1999 here  :) )

I feel like all of you have fairly good arguments on either side of this debate, but since I was not a teenager or an adult in the late 2000s I cannot exactly relate to how some of you feel. I became a teenager in 2012 so the mid 2010s are much different for me than you guys as I am still in high school and coming of age. I guess when I get older I will probably look back on this time with very rosy glasses. I was a kid in the late 2000s so I did not get to experience what you guys did, even though I remember alot of current events from that time (Hurricane Katrina, Rita, Wilma, Gustav, Ike and the 2008 Great Financial Crisis). I feel very uneasy about what lies ahead because I do not know if my future at least is the best. But I will try to look forward.

Mid 2010s (Teenager, high school, social life, more freedom) >> Late 2000s (nostalgic, lived in huge house, no social life and no friends.)

Written By: mqg96 on 02/22/16 at 8:51 am

At least I am not the youngest on here anymore.  ;D (1999 here  :) )

I feel like all of you have fairly good arguments on either side of this debate, but since I was not a teenager or an adult in the late 2000s I cannot exactly relate to how some of you feel. I became a teenager in 2012 so the mid 2010s are much different for me than you guys as I am still in high school and coming of age. I guess when I get older I will probably look back on this time with very rosy glasses. I was a kid in the late 2000s so I did not get to experience what you guys did, even though I remember alot of current events from that time (Hurricane Katrina, Rita, Wilma, Gustav, Ike and the 2008 Great Financial Crisis). I feel very uneasy about what lies ahead because I do not know if my future at least is the best. But I will try to look forward.

Mid 2010s (Teenager, high school, social life, more freedom) >> Late 2000s (nostalgic, lived in huge house, no social life and no friends.)

The way you feel about the mid 2010's is how I felt about the early 2010's  ;)

Written By: TheKid99 on 02/22/16 at 10:51 am

^ Yeah that would make sense :)

Written By: bchris02 on 02/22/16 at 11:53 am

It seems like most of the people who prefer the mid 2000s were kids at the time.  From what I know about kid culture, it was an excellent time to be a kid.  I was in college from 2004 through 2007, and personally, I didn't like the era all that well.  I prefer the late 2000s by a long shot.

As for late 2000s vs mid 2010s, I still strongly prefer the late 2000s, but I think the mid 2010s are starting to get better especially 2015 and 2016 (so far).  2013 and 2014 were a low period in my personal life and I didn't like the teenybopper culture that prevailed during those years.  The economy is certainly better in the mid 2010s, but I miss my early twenties and the excitement of that period of my life along with the culture of the time.  The late '00s were an excellent time to be in the 18-25 age range with the explosion of electropop and the shift towards individualism.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/22/16 at 12:25 pm

It seems like most of the people who prefer the mid 2000s were kids at the time.  From what I know about kid culture, it was an excellent time to be a kid.  I was in college from 2004 through 2007, and personally, I didn't like the era all that well.  I prefer the late 2000s by a long shot.

As for late 2000s vs mid 2010s, I still strongly prefer the late 2000s, but I think the mid 2010s are starting to get better especially 2015 and 2016 (so far).  2013 and 2014 were a low period in my personal life and I didn't like the teenybopper culture that prevailed during those years.  The economy is certainly better in the mid 2010s, but I miss my early twenties and the excitement of that period of my life along with the culture of the time.  The late '00s were an excellent time to be in the 18-25 age range with the explosion of electropop and the shift towards individualism.

Yes mainstream pop culturally speaking the late 2000s were much better than the mid 00s! But with late 00s and mid 10s they both have their pros and cons. But i'll say this though I slightly prefer the mid 00s over mid 10s though.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/22/16 at 12:30 pm

I am not the biggest fan of the late 2000s, when it comes to music/fashion. However I found the fashion in particular to be easy to ignore. Movies were pretty good, I enjoyed some T.V. shows, though I do recall watching less newer shows around 2009ish and more reruns of shows from the 90s and early-mid 00s. I was still hugely into anime, but I started to fall out of it after 2008 or 2009. Youtube was definitely in it's golden age from about 2007-2010.  Also, social media wasn't as overbearing as it is now. I don't know. While I don't like the late 2000s as much as the early 2000s, I still think it's far better than the 2010s

I think you all know my feelings on the 2010s thus far. I honestly tried to like this decade. I really did. But I couldn't keep fooling myself. The music, the fashion, T.V., movies (for the most part), social media, almost everything.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/16 at 3:30 pm

I was born in 2000.

I was born 1974

Written By: mqg96 on 02/22/16 at 3:36 pm

I loved the fashion from 2008-2012 though!

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/16 at 5:34 pm

I loved the fashion from 2008-2012 though!

Change that to 2009-2012 and we've got a deal ;D 2008 still had a lot of core 2000s fashion hanging around.

Spirit of 2009 man. Spirit of 2009.

There was not much electropop in 2007 and most of 2008 though.

I didn't like the mid-2000s either, but the late 2000s weren't all that different, except really late 2000s (like, September 2008 and after).

Written By: mqg96 on 02/22/16 at 5:46 pm

Change that to 2009-2012 and we've got a deal ;D 2008 still had a lot of core 2000s fashion hanging around.

Spirit of 2009 man. Spirit of 2009.

I meant late 2008-mid 2012. I agree that 2009 was the first full year of the era. When I compare yearbook photos from 6th grade (2007-08) to 7th grade (2008-09) there's definitely an attitude change. I hated that the fashion changed during my junior year (2012-13) which is one of my another reasons why I hated that school year so much. In the era we've been in since 2013 I think my senior year (2013-14) was the best pop culturally.

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/16 at 5:56 pm

I meant late 2008-mid 2012. I agree that 2009 was the first full year of the era. When I compare yearbook photos from 6th grade (2007-08) to 7th grade (2008-09) there's definitely an attitude change. I hated that the fashion changed during my junior year (2012-13) which is one of my another reasons why I hated that school year so much. In the era we've been in since 2013 I think my senior year (2013-14) was the best pop culturally.

Hmm, I looked at my 2008-09 a few weeks ago and I thought it looked kind of dated. There were still dudes who put gel in their hair or dudes with the emo/scene hair, the girls had their stick straight hair with the bangs etc. and they had streaks of weird colours like green or pink haha. I think it was taken in the earlier part of the school year, probably September. I've lost my 2007-08 yearbook so I can't compare to that one, I have my 2006-07 one though, I should take a look at it.

2008-09 was a transitional school year if you ask me, even for fashion. It was all about getting to mid-2009. The last 6 months of 2009 contain the Spirit of '09 imo.

Written By: aja675 on 03/19/16 at 9:27 am

2007 and 2008 were nice, but by 2009, I was too angsty to enjoy life.

Written By: cool123 on 03/19/16 at 9:43 am

Hmm, I looked at my 2008-09 a few weeks ago and I thought it looked kind of dated. There were still dudes who put gel in their hair or dudes with the emo/scene hair, the girls had their stick straight hair with the bangs etc. and they had streaks of weird colours like green or pink haha. I think it was taken in the earlier part of the school year, probably September. I've lost my 2007-08 yearbook so I can't compare to that one, I have my 2006-07 one though, I should take a look at it.

2008-09 was a transitional school year if you ask me, even for fashion. It was all about getting to mid-2009. The last 6 months of 2009 contain the Spirit of '09 imo.

The 2008-2009 school year was late 2000s. It was 65% late 2000s and 35% early 2010s

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/16 at 9:50 am

The 2008-2009 school year was late 2000s. It was 65% late 2000s and 35% early 2010s

Even though 2009-10 was like the first 2010s school year, it didn't felt much like the new decade. It felt more late 2000s than early 2010s. But that's just my opinion.

Written By: cool123 on 03/19/16 at 9:53 am

Even though 2009-10 was like the first 2010s school year, it didn't felt much like the new decade. It felt more late 2000s than early 2010s. But that's just my opinion.

Thank the f*cking lord someone finally agrees with me. I won't deny there was a significant amount of transition that school year but from my kid perspective it felt like a late 2000s school year to me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/16 at 10:01 am

Thank the f*cking lord someone finally agrees with me. I won't deny there was a significant amount of transition that school year but from my kid perspective it felt like a late 2000s school year to me.

Yeah. Basically, the first true 2010s school year was 2010-11. Sure, the 2009-10 brought us the new Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network rebrands, but 2010-11 was when TV felt more 2010s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/19/16 at 2:49 pm

Yeah. Basically, the first true 2010s school year was 2010-11. Sure, the 2009-10 brought us the new Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network rebrands, but 2010-11 was when TV felt more 2010s.

IDK, 2009-10 had Glee and Modern Family....

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/16 at 3:26 pm

Yeah... maybe it was half 2000s/half 2010s by that point.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/19/16 at 3:31 pm

This, and Jersey Shore came out, Angry Birds debuted, the electropop era of music was peaking by then, the iPad was released later in the school year, Obama was already in office by then, Windows 7 came out, etc. 2009-10 was the first true early 2010's cultural school year without a question, but 2010-11 or 2011 as a whole was quintessential though.

Written By: 2001 on 03/19/16 at 3:33 pm

Maybe for kids. For adults/teens it was early '10s. 2009-10 was worlds apart from my first year of high school in 2006-07. It wasn't even the pop culture that was different. It felt like our values and perspective on life had changed between those two years.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/16 at 3:46 pm

Maybe for kids. For adults/teens it was early '10s. 2009-10 was worlds apart from my first year of high school in 2006-07. It wasn't even the pop culture that was different. It felt like our values and perspective on life had changed between those two years.

Oh... maybe that's why you guys weren't that happy during the late 2000s. Especially you, Slowpoke. IDK, I was still a kid in the late 2000s, so I guess that's a reason.

Written By: cool123 on 03/19/16 at 7:25 pm

Exactly late 2000s kid culture didn't end until mid 2010

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/16 at 7:34 pm

Exactly late 2000s kid culture didn't end until mid 2010

Late 2000s kid culture ended when CN rebranded to the Check It era. I could say Discovery Kids, but I don't think a lot of 2000s kids would remember that channel.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/19/16 at 7:40 pm

Kind of makes you wonder how things will be during the 2017-2018 school year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/16 at 8:27 pm

I'm already a teen. So, I don't think the 2017-2018 school year would change a lot of stuff for me.

Written By: Toon on 03/19/16 at 8:34 pm

I liked late 00's gaming and internet culture. But I prefer mid 10's tv shows and music. As for fashion I was always more into the bright colorful fashion, but that was mostly in the early '10s with its neon colored fashion.

Written By: 2001 on 03/20/16 at 1:08 am

I liked late 00's gaming and internet culture. But I prefer mid 10's tv shows and music. As for fashion I was always more into the bright colorful fashion, but that was mostly in the early '10s with its neon colored fashion.

Early '10s fashion was the peak of society. We all dressed well in the early 2010s.

We had a supermoon on March 8, 1993 and December 12, 2008 which coincide with the huge cultural shifts of Beavis and Butthead airing and George Bush getting shoes thrown at him. The next supermoon is in 2033, so you'll be waiting for a while.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/20/16 at 8:50 pm

Late 00's of course!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/21/16 at 12:30 am

Soo far I hate to say it... Late 2000s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/25/16 at 10:20 pm

Late 00s!

Written By: Shemp97 on 04/01/16 at 4:25 pm

Early '10s fashion was the peak of society. We all dressed well in the early 2010s.

Except for the tight crotch contacting torture jeans that were popular then up till now. I recently tried on old jeans I still had in my closet from the late 00s and it was like wearing a dress.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/03/16 at 12:20 am

The mid 10's are very dark and depressing culturally. The late 00's were much more upbeat and positive (except for the recession, but we are in a bigger recession now). I really enjoyed that time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/03/16 at 7:56 am

The mid 10's are very dark and depressing culturally. The late 00's were much more upbeat and positive (except for the recession, but we are in a bigger recession now). I really enjoyed that time.

Me too.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/03/16 at 11:24 am

I hope the late 2010's will be better.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/03/16 at 11:28 am

I hope the late 2010's will be better.

I think so. 2016 is alright as far as I know. Maybe it could continue into having better pop culture in the near future.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/03/16 at 1:15 pm

I think so. 2016 is alright as far as I know. Maybe it could continue into having better pop culture in the near future.

Yeah but 2016 is still mid 2010s. Technically the late 10's start in September this year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/03/16 at 2:24 pm

Yeah but 2016 is still mid 2010s. Technically the late 10's start in September this year.

Yeah, but I feel like the late 2010s would come sooner than September.

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/03/16 at 2:28 pm

And even then, it's only the mathematical start to the late 10's. It's still up in the air when the cultural late 10's will begin. Right now we are still in the peak of mid 2010s culture. I'm not sure that much could change from now to September. Maybe we will see the earliest signs of late 2010's culture around the end of this year, who knows? Either way, I hope that things get better. This current era is bringing me down.  :-[

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/03/16 at 2:32 pm

And even then, it's only the mathematical start to the late 10's. It's still up in the air when the cultural late 10's will begin. Right now we are still in the peak of mid 2010s culture. I'm not sure that much could change from now to September. Maybe we will see the earliest signs of late 2010's culture around the end of this year, who knows? Either way, I hope that things get better. This current era is bringing me down.  :-[

Me too. I just hope somebody would elect Hillary as president, and then we wouldn't have to worry about sh*t for four years.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/03/16 at 2:50 pm

I totally agree. The current era brings me down too. You can tell the mid 10's are sad and grim even just by the popularity of songs by Sam Smith and Adele. XD

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/03/16 at 2:55 pm

I totally agree. The current era brings me down too. You can tell the mid 10's are sad and grim even just by the popularity of songs by Sam Smith and Adele. XD

Adele seems more depressing, since everybody's into her song about the cons of social media. I like computers, but I wouldn't get upset over something like not calling your friends. I have more happiness posting here than texting any of my contacts.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/04/16 at 12:27 pm

When Adele first became popular in 2011, her music was such a stark contrast to the upbeat and carefree electropop of the day.  I think her style fits more with the mid '10s than the early '10s.

I would say whether or not the current era is depressing or not depends on where you live and your political beliefs.  The SJW culture and the anti-SJW backlash is a dark shadow on this point in history.  The potential for serious backlash that could set back decades of social progress is very real right now.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/04/16 at 12:36 pm

I don't believe 2008 was upbeat or positive at all.  That was a great year in my personal life but that year it felt like society was headed towards its impending doom with $5 gasoline and the coming recession that nobody knew how bad it would be (yet many were saying it would be as bad as the Great Depression).  2007 wasn't optimistic either with the war in Iraq dominating headlines for most of that year.

In 2009, after Obama's inauguration and after the economic bottom in March of that year, things turned more positive and optimistic and that seemed to last through 2013 when SJW and anti-SJW culture really came to the forefront.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/09/16 at 4:39 pm

The Late 2000's by far.

My personal life was much better, movies were much better and still had variety and cinema wasn't dominated by nothing but dumb comic book movies, and social media while gaining more fraction, didn't consume your life like it does in the 2010's.  I will say the ad venues in which one can pursue music and avoid what is popular on the radio and charts is much better than last decade in my opinion.

That being said, 2016 has been an improvement over 2014 and 2015 and my life has been much better than it was in the early 2010's when I was in high school.

Well, the late 2000s had some superhero movies that dominated the box office. The Dark Knight and Spider Man 3 are some examples, but they weren't shoved down people's throats (unless they were comicbook nerds) compared to the 2010s. I also don't see why social media is so addictive, either for the fact that you get weird filters on Instagram or Snapchat. It doesn't interest me.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/09/16 at 5:54 pm

Well, the late 2000s had some superhero movies that dominated the box office. The Dark Knight and Spider Man 3 are some examples, but they weren't shoved down people's throats (unless they were comicbook nerds) compared to the 2010s. I also don't see why social media is so addictive, either for the fact that you get weird filters on Instagram or Snapchat. It doesn't interest me.

I actually think The Dark Knight was crazily hyped more than any other superhero movie, even compared to The Avengers. Even the first Iron Man film garnered a lot of attention back when it came out. The difference is that there's just such a large quantity of superhero flicks, most of them Marvel, that the trend itself feels a lot more overwhelming.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/09/16 at 6:23 pm

I actually think The Dark Knight was crazily hyped more than any other superhero movie, even compared to The Avengers. Even the first Iron Man film garnered a lot of attention back when it came out. The difference is that there's just such a large quantity of superhero flicks, most of them Marvel, that the trend itself feels a lot more overwhelming.

Even if the late 2000s superhero hype was as big as it was in the 2010s, it was more sane. Nowadays, you have people wanting Marvel and DC to make lots of superhero movies for the late 2010s/early 2020s. It seems like it'll never stop with these people, even if these movies are overrated as f*ck.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/09/16 at 7:16 pm

Even if the late 2000s superhero hype was as big as it was in the 2010s, it was more sane. Nowadays, you have people wanting Marvel and DC to make lots of superhero movies for the late 2010s/early 2020s. It seems like it'll never stop with these people, even if these movies are overrated as f*ck.

I agree with both of you. There's nothing wrong with superhero movies and all (especially when they're awesome), but when the genre gets over-saturated, that becomes a problem.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/09/16 at 7:43 pm

I agree with both of you. There's nothing wrong with superhero movies and all (especially when they're awesome), but when the genre gets over-saturated, that becomes a problem.

I guess I'm the only one on this site who believes that superhero movies and TV shows being over-saturated are ok  :D

I've been a die hard DC & Marvel comic book fan my whole life, ever since the cartoons when I was little, so it doesn't matter to me. I know there are many of you folks on this site who have always been into more comedy or drama than action/mystery/crime fighting/sci-fi type movies with deep developing stories or violence. So I understand your pain.

Now I can understand if the genre of comic book movies in the movie industry are becoming over-saturated lately, but just having the comic book industry coming out with good stuff in general lately has been find. I love the golden age of comic book shows and movies we're in right now. It's some pop culture out there to enjoy right now that keeps you real occupied when you're bored.

There's gotta be a golden age of something out there once in a while. Certain genres of music has gone through its golden ages. The video game industry has gone through its golden age. TV channels whether its geared towards kids or young adults have gone throughout its golden ages. Living room culture and your home state/local sports teams have gone through its golden ages or championship runs. Now today, here in the 2010's, the comic book, or super hero TV shows & movies are in its golden age right now. I'm enjoying it while it lasts, and when it's over by next decade or so, people will be missing it so badly, and I will be reminiscing it like crazy. Like I've talked about Cartoon Network's golden age throughout 2001-early 2004, how much I've missed Blockbuster, KB Toys, Circuit City, or my opinion on how great mainstream music was throughout 2009-2011 or late 2013-2014.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/09/16 at 8:08 pm

I guess I'm the only one on this site who believes that superhero movies and TV shows being over-saturated are ok  :D

I've been a die hard DC & Marvel comic book fan my whole life, ever since the cartoons when I was little, so it doesn't matter to me. I know there are many of you folks on this site who have always been into more comedy or drama than action/mystery/crime fighting/sci-fi type movies with deep developing stories or violence. So I understand your pain.

Now I can understand if the genre of comic book movies in the movie industry are becoming over-saturated lately, but just having the comic book industry coming out with good stuff in general lately has been find. I love the golden age of comic book shows and movies we're in right now. It's some pop culture out there to enjoy right now that keeps you real occupied when you're bored.

There's gotta be a golden age of something out there once in a while. Certain genres of music has gone through its golden ages. The video game industry has gone through its golden age. TV channels whether its geared towards kids or young adults have gone throughout its golden ages. Living room culture and your home state/local sports teams have gone through its golden ages or championship runs. Now today, here in the 2010's, the comic book, or super hero TV shows & movies are in its golden age right now. I'm enjoying it while it lasts, and when it's over by next decade or so, people will be missing it so badly, and I will be reminiscing it like crazy. Like I've talked about Cartoon Network's golden age throughout 2001-early 2004, how much I've missed Blockbuster, KB Toys, Circuit City, or my opinion on how great mainstream music was throughout 2009-2011 or late 2013-2014.
Well, I'm a versatile person, so I watch movies in almost every genre. I'm not saying that the movies are awful (they are clearly in their golden age), but there's not much diversity in the industry. Some genres have been missing during this decade.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/09/16 at 8:47 pm

Well, I'm a versatile person, so I watch movies in almost every genre. I'm not saying that the movies are awful (they are clearly in their golden age), but there's not much diversity in the industry. Some genres have been missing during this decade.

Let's look at some good movies we've had this decade since 2012.

2012:
The Dark Knight Rises
The Hunger Games
The Avengers
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2
The Dictator
Amour
Zero Dark Thirty
21 Jump Street
Ted
Brave
Project X
Wreck It Ralph
The Lorax
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Prometheus

2013:
Gravity
Iron Man 3
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Frozen
Man of Steel
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
The Wolf of Wall Street
12 Years of Slave
This Is the End
Despicable Me 2
Pacific Rim
World War Z
Fast & Furious 6
Thor: Dark World
The Wolverine
Star Trek Into Darkness
Now You See Me
Kick Ass 2
Grown Ups 2

2014:
Birdman
Guardians of the Galaxy
Boyhood
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Gone Girl
Ride Along
The Lego Movie
Big Hero 6
Maleficent
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
Nightcrawler
Edge of Tomorrow
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
How to Train Your Dragon 2
X-Men: Days of Future Past
22 Jump Street

2015:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Sicario
Mad Max: Fury Road
Get Hard
Creed
Inside Out
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
The Martian
Jurassic World
Tangerine
Furious 7
The Good Dinosaur
Minions
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

2016:
Ride Along 2
Captain America: Civil War
Deadpool
X-Men: Apocalpayse
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Suicide Squad
Ghostbusters
Hardcore Henry
Warcraft
The Jungle Book
Kung Fu Panda 3
Finding Dory
Zootopia
Star Trek Beyond
Central Intelligence

I have to say, this decade for movies so far has been higher quality and more exciting than most of the 2000's. It could debatably compete with the 90's for movies too.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/09/16 at 8:57 pm

Let's look at some good movies we've had this decade since 2012.

2012:
The Dark Knight Rises
The Hunger Games
The Avengers
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2
The Dictator
Amour
Zero Dark Thirty
21 Jump Street
Ted
Brave
Project X
Wreck It Ralph
The Lorax
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Prometheus

2013:
Gravity
Iron Man 3
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Frozen
Man of Steel
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
The Wolf of Wall Street
12 Years of Slave
This Is the End
Despicable Me 2
Pacific Rim
World War Z
Fast & Furious 6
Thor: Dark World
The Wolverine
Star Trek Into Darkness
Now You See Me
Kick Ass 2
Grown Ups 2

2014:
Birdman
Guardians of the Galaxy
Boyhood
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Gone Girl
Ride Along
The Lego Movie
Big Hero 6
Maleficent
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
Nightcrawler
Edge of Tomorrow
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
How to Train Your Dragon 2
X-Men: Days of Future Past
22 Jump Street

2015:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Sicario
Mad Max: Fury Road
Get Hard
Creed
Inside Out
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
The Martian
Jurassic World
Tangerine
Furious 7
The Good Dinosaur
Minions
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

2016:
Ride Along 2
Captain America: Civil War
Deadpool
X-Men: Apocalpayse
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Suicide Squad
Ghostbusters
Hardcore Henry
Warcraft
The Jungle Book
Kung Fu Panda 3
Finding Dory
Zootopia
Star Trek Beyond
Central Intelligence

I have to say, this decade for movies so far has been higher quality and more exciting than most of the 2000's. It could debatably compete with the 90's for movies too.
I've seen some of those movies. Many of them are great and it could absolutely compete with the 90s and even earlier decades.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/10/16 at 1:31 am

One of the biggest differences is back in the late 2000s/early 2010s you didn't really have the shared universe concept in superhero movies.  That really started with the Avengers in 2012 and has really ramped up over the past few years.  They even killed Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man, which was much better than Tobey MaGuire in my opinion, so they could reboot Spider-Man into the Avengers shared universe.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/10/16 at 5:48 am

One of the biggest differences is back in the late 2000s/early 2010s you didn't really have the shared universe concept in superhero movies.  That really started with the Avengers in 2012 and has really ramped up over the past few years.  They even killed Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man, which was much better than Tobey MaGuire in my opinion, so they could reboot Spider-Man into the Avengers shared universe.

That's alright, since Spider Man isn't really that much reputation with the Amazing Spider Man movies.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/10/16 at 2:56 pm

Which they are going to do.... he was already in Marvel Civil War movie! :D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/10/16 at 2:58 pm

I agree I don't mind all these superhero movies we are in a golden age of superhero movies! FINALLY we are getting comic book films that are accurate to the comics on screen! :D

Written By: NightmareFarm on 02/09/22 at 12:03 pm

Late 00s by lightyears

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/09/22 at 4:15 pm

Late 2000's for sure. It was a good time in my life despite the economic crisis. Here's how I look at it:

Mid 2000's>Late 2000's>Early 2010's>Mid 2010's.

I may be pessimistic but I think the Late 2010's are going to be even worse, regardless of who our next president is because it will probably be either Trump or Hillary.

I see I already replied back then, but here's an update: the late 2010's turned out to be better than the mid 2010's. It had a chill vibe overall, and was the calm before the storm that was the 2020's.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 02/14/22 at 3:55 pm

The late 2000's wins in the vibes department. It was such a fun, warm, chill time. The mid 2010's was chill too but it wasn't as bright and cheery. In terms of culture - music, movies, memes, YT, games, I'd say the mid 2010's wins in most of those areas. Of course, the early 2010's was really the best

Check for new replies or respond here...