inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Disney's Zootopia

Written By: #Infinity on 02/23/16 at 9:34 pm

This movie comes out really soon, so I'm curious about your thoughts about it.  When I first read what it would be about, I dreaded it would be similar to Chicken Little, my least favorite film in the Disney Animated Canon.  There has already been more than enough children's media featuring animals living like humans, and the plot that the studio had planned for this movie just sounded like a generic children's action-adventure, similar to Roger Rabbit.  A few months ago, I projected it to be the Pocahontas of the neo-Disney Renaissance, aka the one film of its era to receive not-so-flattering reviews.  However, so far it has a 100% average on Rotten Tomatoes and is probably destined to be one of the biggest hits of the year.

Me personally, I have mixed feelings about Zootopia.  On one hand, I'm relieved that the film is supposedly not the regression to the Chicken Little era of the 2000s I feared it would be.  However, I'm also not looking forward to the movie achieving Minions/Frozen-level craze status, which it certainly has the potential for, given its cute, merchandisable characters and setting.  I'm not really the most enthusiastic animal person - in fact, my relative apathy for pets seems to be one of the primary factors ostracizing me from the rest of the lesbian community - and this film is certain to feed off of everybody's obsession with animals to a whole new level.  Not to mention, this year will also see the releases of The Secret Life of Pets and Sing, thus making 2016, like 2006, a huge year for animal-centric animated movies.  Honestly, I'm not horribly against animals or anything, and I definitely have a soft spot for them at the right moments (part of my problem is that I find it a little awkward for animals to be taken care of outside of their natural environments), but I don't know how much I'll be able to handle "Zoomania" should it come into being.

Subject: Re: Disney's Zootopia

Written By: 2001 on 02/23/16 at 9:45 pm

Was Chicken Little that popular? I don't recall. The only real zoomania I've felt like I've lived through was Doge (Shiba Inu) and Finding Nemo (clown fish), which is really benign.

My own zoomania movies would be Stuart Little,  Cats and Dogs and Good Boy  :P I've never had a huge desire to own a pet though, it looks like too much work.

As for Zootopia, it looks like a relatively harmless movie. Aren't the main characters animals such as foxes, hedgehogs, sloths, rabbits etc.? I don't think there is a huge focus on pet animals.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/23/16 at 9:51 pm

Was Chicken Little that popular? I don't recall. The only real zoomania I've felt like I've lived through was Doge (Shiba Inu) and Finding Nemo (clown fish), which is really benign.

My own zoomania movies would be Stuart Little,  Cats and Dogs and Good Boy  :P I've never had a huge desire to own a pet though, it looks like too much work.

As for Zootopia, it looks like a relatively harmless movie. Aren't the main characters animals such as foxes, hedgehogs, sloths, rabbits etc.? I don't think there is a huge focus on pet animals.

Stuart Little was the sh*t when I was five. That and the 2002 sequel were pretty cool. Haven't seen them for years now.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/23/16 at 9:53 pm

To be honest, I'm not as excited for Disney movies at the moment. I still miss hand-drawn animation. I mean, I like CGI animation, but I just wish it wasn't the only style used in today's animated films. Sure there's Studio Ghibli, but they are the only studio that still does hand-drawn animation. I know I shouldn't judge it simply because it's a CGI animated film. After all, the Disney films of this decade have been impressive (the only one I don't care for is Frozen). I just wish we'd get another hand-drawn film, even if it's only everyone once and a while.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/23/16 at 9:54 pm

Chicken Little was basically a flop.  It didn't bomb at the box office like Home on the Range, The Black Cauldron, or Treasure Planet, but the reviews were less than flattering, garnering only a 36% on Rotten Tomatoes (which is terrible for an animated Disney movie) and just 5.8 on IMDB.  I personally found the movie to be incredibly derivative, overbearing, and cheap, like it was made some second-rate animated studio and not Disney.

I don't specifically mean pets, I just mean people's obsession with animals in general, which translates into their enthusiasm about pets.  Considering how positive the reviews have been so far for Zootopia, I expect it to basically become the next Frozen or Minions.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/23/16 at 9:56 pm

Chicken Little really wasn't popular at all. In fact, I'd say it's one of Disney's worst movies  8-P

Written By: #Infinity on 02/23/16 at 9:57 pm

To be honest, I'm not as excited for Disney movies at the moment. I still miss hand-drawn animation. I mean, I like CGI animation, but I just wish it wasn't the only style used in today's animated films. Sure there's Studio Ghibli, but they are the only studio that still does hand-drawn animation. I know I shouldn't judge it simply because it's a CGI animated film. After all, the Disney films of this decade have been impressive (the only one I don't care for is Frozen). I just wish we'd get another hand-drawn film, even if it's only everyone once and a while.

Apparently, from what I've heard, When Marnie Was There is supposed to be the last Studio Ghibli film.  Hayao Miyazaki already retired after The Wind Rises, and it looks like nobody is stepping in to keep the ship afloat.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/23/16 at 9:57 pm

Apparently, from what I've heard, When Marnie Was There is supposed to be the last Studio Ghibli film.  Hayao Miyazaki already retired after The Wind Rises, and it looks like nobody is stepping in to keep the ship afloat.

That makes me even more depressed  :-[

Written By: 80sfan on 02/24/16 at 12:09 am

This movie comes out really soon, so I'm curious about your thoughts about it.  When I first read what it would be about, I dreaded it would be similar to Chicken Little, my least favorite film in the Disney Animated Canon.  There has already been more than enough children's media featuring animals living like humans, and the plot that the studio had planned for this movie just sounded like a generic children's action-adventure, similar to Roger Rabbit.  A few months ago, I projected it to be the Pocahontas of the neo-Disney Renaissance, aka the one film of its era to receive not-so-flattering reviews.  However, so far it has a 100% average on Rotten Tomatoes and is probably destined to be one of the biggest hits of the year.

Me personally, I have mixed feelings about Zootopia.  On one hand, I'm relieved that the film is supposedly not the regression to the Chicken Little era of the 2000s I feared it would be.  However, I'm also not looking forward to the movie achieving Minions/Frozen-level craze status, which it certainly has the potential for, given its cute, merchandisable characters and setting.  I'm not really the most enthusiastic animal person - in fact, my relative apathy for pets seems to be one of the primary factors ostracizing me from the rest of the lesbian community - and this film is certain to feed off of everybody's obsession with animals to a whole new level.  Not to mention, this year will also see the releases of The Secret Life of Pets and Sing, thus making 2016, like 2006, a huge year for animal-centric animated movies.  Honestly, I'm not horribly against animals or anything, and I definitely have a soft spot for them at the right moments (part of my problem is that I find it a little awkward for animals to be taken care of outside of their natural environments), but I don't know how much I'll be able to handle "Zoomania" should it come into being.

If you don't give a damn about pets, or animals, that's fine with me. I love dogs, but my mother hates them because of her allergies. Seems like you're more indifferent/neutral towards pets/small animals, rather than hate them!

Written By: #Infinity on 02/24/16 at 12:23 am

If you don't give a damn about pets, or animals, that's fine with me. I love dogs, but my mother hates them because of her allergies. Seems like you're more indifferent/neutral towards pets/small animals, rather than hate them!

Yeah, I don't despise animals - unabashed hate is just not in my blood at all - but I generally prefer the company of beings who I can share a deep and intimate discussion with as opposed to a creature who's been domesticated for humans.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/24/16 at 3:56 am

Most of the NON-Pixar CGI movies Disney has been coming out with since Tangled in 2010 have been really good. So I could see why it's worth being interested in. I'm sure my youngest sister will enjoy it the most.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/24/16 at 9:03 pm

Chicken Little really wasn't popular at all. In fact, I'd say it's one of Disney's worst movies  8-P

Yeah, it was simply crap and nobody really liked it.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/24/16 at 11:31 pm

Stuart Little was the sh*t when I was five. That and the 2002 sequel were pretty cool. Haven't seen them for years now.

Stuart Little 1 and 2 FTW! :D 

Written By: mqg96 on 02/24/16 at 11:35 pm

Stuart Little TOOOOOOOOOO TWO THOUSAND AND TOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Damn that year was so live af for movies.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/24/16 at 11:38 pm

Yeah guys, I can honestly say growing up; 2005 until 2007 was a transitional period from me and kid animated flicks. I started transitioning away from them because of the bullsheesh I was getting delivered to me. CARS, Ratatouille, and Robots were good to great! But sheesh and mediocrity like Chicken Little, Doogal, Hoodwinked, Ice Age 2, Shrek the third, just turned me away from animated movies.

Written By: #Infinity on 02/25/16 at 12:22 am

Yeah guys, I can honestly say growing up; 2005 until 2007 was a transitional period from me and kid animated flicks. I started transitioning away from them because of the bullsheesh I was getting delivered to me. CARS, Ratatouille, and Robots were good to great! But sheesh and mediocrity like Chicken Little, Doogal, Hoodwinked, Ice Age 2, Shrek the third, just turned me away from animated movies.

Yeah, there were a lot of marginal animated movies released during the mid-late 2000s.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/25/16 at 12:34 am

Remember Wall-E too? I wasn't into that Pixar movie for some reason. The fat people in the futuristic wheelchairs were disturbing to me. Rataouille was amazing, probably the best original Pixar movie since the Incredibles. I think the last good kid movies I watched and enjoyed came out in 2010, like Megamind, Toy Story 3, Despicable Me, and Tangled, but Shrek Happy Ever After was terrible though. I'm not surprised you didn't like the third one either.

Written By: Toon on 02/25/16 at 2:21 am

I'm excited for Zootopia. Been a fan of Disney's latest Revival era movies as they all seem new and fresh to me. I don't have any doubts at the moment.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/25/16 at 12:31 pm

Remember Wall-E too? I wasn't into that Pixar movie for some reason. The fat people in the futuristic wheelchairs were disturbing to me. Rataouille was amazing, probably the best original Pixar movie since the Incredibles. I think the last good kid movies I watched and enjoyed came out in 2010, like Megamind, Toy Story 3, Despicable Me, and Tangled, but Shrek Happy Ever After was terrible though. I'm not surprised you didn't like the third one either.

I thought Wall-E looked very childish and I thought I had simply outgrew the product at that point! Ratatouille was the final animated movie I saw on screen! I won't return to see animated or kids movies on screen again until I have my own children in the near future, OR my little cousin wants to see an animated movie! ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 02/25/16 at 1:22 pm

I thought Wall-E looked very childish and I thought I had simply outgrew the product at that point! Ratatouille was the final animated movie I saw on screen! I won't return to see animated or kids movies on screen again until I have my own children in the near future, OR my little cousin wants to see an animated movie! ;D

I didn't see Wall-E in theaters either since I never cared for it, including UP. I remember not wanting to see Toy Story 3 because I thought I was too old for it, then my high school acquaintances & friends older than me in cross country conditioning were excited to see Toy Story 3 because they remember 1 & 2 from their childhood. So I decided to see Toy Story 3 and I was shocked with how good it was, and I remember some people during freshman year of high school talking about Megamind too, which was underrated. I should have corrected what I originally said, but I agree that Ratatouille would be the last animated movie we'd associate with our childhoods. I just thought that 2010 had some decent kid movies except for Shrek Forever After.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/25/16 at 5:41 pm

Hell yeah.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/25/16 at 5:55 pm

I hope this is not a cartoon version of "Zoo", the story of the adventures of Kenneth Pinyan.  :-X

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/25/16 at 6:10 pm

I hope this is not a cartoon version of "Zoo", the story of the adventures of Kenneth Pinyan.  :-X

I don't think so. If it was, it would've been rated R.  :(

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/25/16 at 6:14 pm

Yeah, there were a lot of marginal animated movies released during the mid-late 2000s.

Yeah I honestly don't remember seeing much animated movies during that time period either. I would usually wait for it to come on DVD or my mom would buy it off bootleg ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/26/16 at 5:36 am

I don't think so. If it was, it would've been rated R.  :(

Or XXX.  :o

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 03/04/16 at 8:09 am

Here's a review from one of my favorite YouTubers

Du7wcFPBfIE

Written By: Toon on 03/04/16 at 7:27 pm

Welp! It seems that Zootopia is already a critical and commercial success. The Revival era of Disney will continue. Now to hope and see how well Moana performs when it releases later this year. Also if I see anymore animal puns like "paw-fect" or "Be-fur" I'm going to insane.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/04/16 at 11:20 pm

I gotta admit, I'm actually really excited to see Zootopia now, considering everything I've heard about it so far. It basically has the best average ratings of any movie in the entire Walt Disney Animated Studio canon. Though its two rotten reviews prevent it from having a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes like Pinocchio, it has a far higher number of reviews (making its near-perfect average more difficult to achieve) and will surely earn a higher audience average than that film. How ironic that the movie I expected to be the weak link of the neo-Disney Renaissance is perhaps shaping up to be its absolute peak.

Written By: 2001 on 03/05/16 at 11:03 am

Can't wait to see this movie next week. 2016 has been impressive me so far in the movie department.

Check for new replies or respond here...