inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your favourite pop acts of the 2010s?

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/16 at 12:01 pm

Since we all agree that society is peaking in the 2010s, there's definitely got to be at least some music you love from this decade!

It doesn't necessarily have to be pop.

Neon Trees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psdJcrNda84

When their song "Animals" played at my senior prom in 2010 I was instantly hooked! I even got an encore from the DJ. Ever since then I haven't been able to put any of their songs down. I wish rock would have taken this direction instead of dying out slowly (or evolving into Imagine Dragons, if you want to see it that way). This "neon rock" or "dance rock" was totally up my alley.  :( But nonethless I'm still happy they exist. Their sound is very unique and I still find it refreshing despite me playing all their songs at least 100 times each.

Arkells

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYhHd_Up58k

This band comes from my hometown, which is usually looked down upon for being poor and a low-class "white trash" city. This song has definitely become a city anthem to stick it up to the surrounding snobby suburbs.  ;D When I think of my hometown's urban revival that has occured in the last 5 years or so, I immediately think of this band. In the 90s/2000s my city was known for being trashy, but now it has a reputation for being artsy and cultural/high-urban (the American equivalent I can think of is Philadelphia), and I think of this band instantly when I think of my city's "renaissance".

Now what about you guys?  ;)

Subject: Re: Your favourite pop acts of the 2010s?

Written By: Fearsword on 03/04/16 at 2:28 pm

The Weeknd
Chorus to "Can't feel my face" man

Others I would have to say Fun(despite being essentially a 1 hit one wonder), new Taylor Swift, 5SOS, Gotye(remember him?).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/16 at 2:32 pm

UxxajLWwzqY

This is pretty much one of the only songs that I like from the 2010s.

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/16 at 5:53 pm

The Weeknd
Chorus to "Can't feel my face" man

Others I would have to say Fun(despite being essentially a 1 hit one wonder), new Taylor Swift, 5SOS, Gotye(remember him?).

Oh my god, I love Fun, their song "We Are Young" won Grammy of the Year in 2012.

The Weekend song is also good. I've heard of 5SOS, but I'm not sure if I know any of their songs. Never heard of Gotye.  :(

What new Taylor Swift do you like? "Shake it Off" is one of my 2014 favourites!

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/16 at 5:54 pm

This is pretty much one of the only songs that I like from the 2010s.

One of my favourite songs at my uni parties! Have you heard their latest song? I linked it in the 2016: Year in Music thread. It's not as good as this song though.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/04/16 at 11:23 pm

Since we all agree that society is peaking in the 2010s, there's definitely got to be at least some music you love from this decade!

???

I suppose if I had to choose my favorite music acts of this decade, they would be Adele, Daft Punk (even though they were already famous as far back as 1997), and Kendrick Lamar.

Written By: whistledog on 03/04/16 at 11:42 pm

I really liked this song from 2014.  I still hear it on the radio quite often ...

EYA5tReVNmE

Written By: 2001 on 03/05/16 at 10:53 am

???

I suppose if I had to choose my favorite music acts of this decade, they would be Adele, Daft Punk (even though they were already famous as far back as 1997), and Kendrick Lamar.

;D

Did you listen to Kendrick Lumar's new album? Daft Punk makes great electronic music (but I think I prefer Skillrex  ;) *hides*)

I really liked this song from 2014.  I still hear it on the radio quite often ...

Oh, I've never heard this song before! It's very decent.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 03/05/16 at 12:48 pm

I like Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Eminem (although he was much better in 00's), Joey Badass, Maroon 5 (once again much better in the 00's), Lady Gaga, Calvin Harris, Katy Perry, Kesha, Rihanna, & Adele.

As of now in early 2016, there's not that many artists that I am into, just various singles from certain songs here and there. For instance I'm not a Justin Bieber fan, but I'll admit his song 'Sorry' is a guilty pleasure of mine. I also like the song 'Cake by the Ocean' although I'm not too sure who the artist is.

Honestly I miss the more fun and exciting Electropop from when I was a teen in the late 00's/early 10's and the Bubblegum Pop, Nu Metal, Neptunes R&B, & Post Grunge when I was a kid in the late 90's/early 00's.

Sometimes I wish I was Howard's age so I could experience the music of the late 70's & 80's as a kid and the music of the 90's as a teen/young adult.

Or heck JordanK's age being a ''Extreme!!!!' Teen in the late 90's/early 00's.

I'm glad I was in my teens for the most part in the Electropop era, but being a young adult in this EDM/New Teen Pop era is pretty bland in the grand scheme of things...

However I'm not as pessimistic as most people on here and I feel that music is starting to slightly improve from the VERY lackluster year that was 2015, so let's see how things play out!

Written By: 2001 on 03/05/16 at 5:53 pm

I like Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Eminem (although he was much better in 00's), Joey Badass, Maroon 5 (once again much better in the 00's), Lady Gaga, Calvin Harris, Katy Perry, Kesha, Rihanna, & Adele.

As of now in early 2016, there's not that many artists that I am into, just various singles from certain songs here and there. For instance I'm not a Justin Bieber fan, but I'll admit his song 'Sorry' is a guilty pleasure of mine. I also like the song 'Cake by the Ocean' although I'm not too sure who the artist is.

Honestly I miss the more fun and exciting Electropop from when I was a teen in the late 00's/early 10's and the Bubblegum Pop, Nu Metal, Neptunes R&B, & Post Grunge when I was a kid in the late 90's/early 00's.

Sometimes I wish I was Howard's age so I could experience the music of the late 70's & 80's as a kid and the music of the 90's as a teen/young adult.

Or heck JordanK's age being a ''Extreme!!!!' Teen in the late 90's/early 00's.

I'm glad I was in my teens for the most part in the Electropop era, but being a young adult in this EDM/New Teen Pop era is pretty bland in the grand scheme of things...

However I'm not as pessimistic as most people on here and I feel that music is starting to slightly improve from the VERY lackluster year that was 2015, so let's see how things play out!

I've seen a lot of love Kendrick Lamar here. I should really check out his new album. I only remember watching this weird MV of his where he had white people carrying his car.  ;D

Maroon 5 is an obsession of mine too! They're actually the only band I've ever seen live. "Moves Like Jagger" is their peak IMO. That song is serious mad tunes. Then their album Overexposed contains some of my favourites, like Payphone and Love Somebody. "Daylight" also really resonated with me because I moved out of my teenage neighbourhood and said bye to a lot of my high school friends. This song really describes my feelings then.  :\'( Their latest album is really disappoint though, didn't like Sugar.

I'm not sure if I'd want to be born earlier. You can always listen to old songs later, it's the new stuff you have to wait for! ;D I like being a young adult in the 2010s, though I agree this teen pop trend is very lame, there's a lot of good songs being released though, you just have to look for them, and find friends who like the same kind of music!

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/12/16 at 11:47 pm

I have so many favorite artists, but these are the ones I feel closest to.

I love Lana Del Rey. She is so talented and beautiful. Always challenging the status quo, she stands against modern feminism and is not afraid to point out what everybody purposely ignores. A roman catholic woman, her songs are incredibly autobiographical. I love all of her albums - they are masterpieces. She has three hits, two of them being among the best of the 2010's music landscape. I love all of her songs. "Video Games" is absolutely heartbreaking; "Ride" shows Rey can hold her own against the Adele's of the world; "Young and Beautiful" is a haunting song that every woman must ask the man she wishes to spend the rest of her life with; "West Coast" is euphoric, innovative song about love and life - perhaps the most original song of 2010's, especially in the rock community; "Brooklyn Baby" is a wonderful song that satirizes and makes fun of hipsters, Brooklyn, and Millennials–the absurdities of these elements of our culture; "High by the Beach" is a hazy electronic torch song. All of her albums are of excellent quality and I love nothing more than to listen to them in my down time. It appeals to so many aspects of my personality, as well as my intellect, and most importantly, my emotions.

Another deep favorite of mine is Imagine Dragons. They are more mainstream than Lana Del Rey, but they are just as wonderful. I honestly don't understand the criticism they get from people. I love both of their albums, and I have every song they have ever released. "It's Time" is their first major hit–a catchy and uplifting indie folk song about always staying true to one's roots. "Radioactive" is clearly their biggest hit, also being very original in it's production. It isn't all about the hits though. I love listening to their entire albums. I am absolutely in love with the amount of passion and emotion they can put into their songs. Listening to the acoustic live versions of "Demons" and "Shots" are so enchanting, it makes me so sad every time. My absolute favorite song of theirs ever is "Roots". Such a humbling, and totally original song. The music video is so amazing. It's a bit of a shame that the song didn't receive much mainstream attention, although that could be in part to the band themselves not promoting too much because of their tour schedule. I think they're on a break now, but I hope to hear more music from them soon!

It really seems like everyone is picking strictly singles artists. Sure, I like Drake, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, and Katy Perry to a point... but they haven't released any brilliant masterpieces of albums. Lana Del Rey and Imagine Dragons are praised nowhere near as much as these guys, particularly because their specialized genres are too niché and henceforth not even appreciated by critics too much, but the connection I get to their music is special. I wouldn't trade my passion for them for anything.

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/16 at 12:21 am

I will check Lana Del Ray out, although I'm not sure if your description of her as a Christian standing up against feminism and hipsters is getting me very excited haha.

I'm a bit of a fan of Imagine Dragons myself, though I haven't listened to the entirety of their latest album. I admit, the first time I heard of them was with Radioactive, and I was extremely turned off because I found that song very repetitive, but after my brother played songs like "It's Time" and "Demons" I was hooked. I listened to the rest of that album and the song "Amsterdam" really hit it out of the park.

I disagree with your criticism of Katy Perry. I find all her albums to be great and jam-packed with great hits. Her last album has songs like This Moment, International Smile, Legendary Lovers, It Takes Two and other tracks that unfortunately won't get an MV despite being deserving. I mean, for Pete's sake, we're talking about the artist with the most #1 singles from any one album.  ::) As for Rihanna, I liked her Good Girl Gone Bad album, and honestly that's where most her good songs come from. I can't say I'm a huge fan of her recent work though.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/13/16 at 5:54 pm

I disagree with your criticism of Katy Perry. I find all her albums to be great and jam-packed with great hits. Her last album has songs like This Moment, International Smile, Legendary Lovers, It Takes Two and other tracks that unfortunately won't get an MV despite being deserving. I mean, for Pete's sake, we're talking about the artist with the most #1 singles from any one album.  ::) As for Rihanna, I liked her Good Girl Gone Bad album, and honestly that's where most her good songs come from. I can't say I'm a huge fan of her recent work though.

I wasn't really criticizing Katy Perry, I was just saying that she's really mostly a singles artist. It bothers me a little because with a lot of artists, they make albums where every song on the track list is a potential hit, instead of making an album that tells a full story. I'm not against singles, I'm actually more of a singles consumer, but I enjoy listening to a full album every once in a while (as w/ Lana Del Rey and Imagine Dragons).

In regards to Rihanna, I don't mind her Good Girl Gone Bad stuff. I just like her newer stuff more.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/13/16 at 6:11 pm

::) As for Rihanna, I liked her Good Girl Gone Bad album, and honestly that's where most her good songs come from. I can't say I'm a huge fan of her recent work though.

Rihanna's last great album up to date is "Unapologetic". However, her "Anti" album might get better though, we'll have to see. I agree with "Good Girl Gone Bad" being the peak of Rihanna since that included her greatest and catchiest songs before she got beat up by Chris Brown and started changing a little bit. Although, I still like plenty of her music after she got beat up by Chris Brown though. I like songs from her like "Rude Boy", "What's My Name", and "Diamonds". I really liked her being featured in "Live Your Life" by T.I. and she was really good in a couple of Eminem songs known as "Love the Way You Lie" and "Monster".

Written By: Redhairkid on 03/13/16 at 6:42 pm

Mumford and Sons
Jack Savoretti
Arcade Fire

The best of a pretty dire bunch.

Check for new replies or respond here...