inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What pop culture do you want to see next?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/12/16 at 5:49 pm

As we slowly move into the late 10's, I am wondering what kind of culture do you personally wish to see next? I really don't like the culture we have these days. I personally wish we would get some more serious and less materialistic attitudes. Less trends like "damn daniel", selfies, snap chat. I hope we get less vines, useless viral videos and useless apps. I hope the artificial SJW stuff dies down. I hope music improves too. I hope we get something similar to the 90s yet with better technology. I am just very tired of pop culture in the 10's and I hope it changes soon. What kind of culture do you wish to see next in this decade?

Subject: Re: What pop culture do you want to see next?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/12/16 at 5:56 pm

I don't know. It could be either Donald Trump backlashes or something like that. We would also have more boring social media or something. That's all I could think of. I barely give a f*ck about this decade's pop culture. It's clearly sh*t.

Written By: Howard on 03/12/16 at 6:01 pm

I don't know. It could be either Donald Trump backlashes or something like that. We would also have more boring social media or something. That's all I could think of. I barely give a f*ck about this decade's pop culture. It's clearly sh*t.

Today's pop culture has been boring.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/12/16 at 6:01 pm

Really good thread slim. I wouldn't say the pop culture is completely bad right now. I think the current era of movies and TV shows right now are perfect, I hope that doesn't change anytime soon. Personally, the trends like hashtag or selfies on Twitter, Instagram, Vines, Snapchat, modern Facebook, and modern Youtube aren't going to change anytime soon, and since the late 2000's social media has kept getting stronger and stronger, and until the next revolutionary product gets invented that surpasses the internet in popularity, social media and internet will not get any weaker. I agree that I hope the fashion changes soon too into a more fresh and clean version, I wish the fashion was like 2008-2012 again.

Written By: 2001 on 03/12/16 at 6:09 pm

Errm, no offence, but if Vine and Snapchat are bothering you so much, why don't you just delete your account there? I don't have accounts with those services and they never bothered me. ???

All I ask for is the end of dudebro gaming, and more catchy dance hits. I'm also craving for The Next Big Thing to happen in tech. I also want a pop-rock revival, with a dance/electric spin to it ala Neon Trees. :)

Written By: mqg96 on 03/12/16 at 6:48 pm

Errm, no offence, but if Vine and Snapchat are bothering you so much, why don't you just delete your account there? I don't have accounts with those services and they never bothered me. ???

I agree, hashtags and selfies are part of our culture and I find nothing offensive about it. A selfie is just any old regular picture but just a style given a nickname. Hashtags on twitter can help you understand live trends that's going on worldwide which I like. I'll admit that Instagram girls or models can be annoying at times. You see this every where you go. I'm at the Atlanta Hawks game right now vs. Memphis enjoying the game and the background trap rap music and freestyles, and I see hashtags everywhere being advertised for the Hawks or any other game I go to. Every decade always has it's own trends.

Written By: 2001 on 03/12/16 at 6:55 pm

I agree, hashtags and selfies are part of our culture and I find nothing offensive about it. A selfie is just any old regular picture but just a style given a nickname. Hashtags on twitter can help you understand live trends that's going on worldwide which I like. I'll admit that Instagram girls or models can be annoying at times. You see this every where you go. I'm at the Atlanta Hawks game right now vs. Memphis enjoying the game and the background trap rap music and freestyles, and I see hashtags everywhere being advertised for the Hawks or any other game I go to. Every decade always has it's own trends.

I think hashtags are adorable and make for funny jokes IRL. ;D If anyone is offended by hashtags, then they should also be offended with the advertising of websites and computer software in the late 90s.  ::)

Written By: #Infinity on 03/12/16 at 7:08 pm

I think what's particularly bothersome about trivial social media like Vine, Instagram, and Snapchat is that now you basically have to use these programs regularly just to fit in with other people. Everybody seems to make friends nowadays through social media or dating sites or whatever, and I've disliked all of those venues because they don't appeal to my traits. I'm a more intellectual, deliberate person, and I don't see any real purpose to posting a picture of my latest outfit or what concert I'm at or whatnot. I'd rather meet my friends and eventually the love of my life through meaningful, productive activities.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/12/16 at 7:19 pm

The main thing I am hoping for is for technology to once again evolve in a direction that stimulates creativity and opportunity, similar to the 90s, and isn't just about convenience. It disgusts me that simulation games like The Sims, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc. have lost significance and that most websites have devolved from intellectual forums to social media pubs.

Amazon is one major example of this; I used to visit that site a lot just to read reviews of albums, movies, etc. (Eggplant and Anthony Rupert were especially engaging reviewers), and now the customer review section has taken the form of social media, with the vast majority of product reviews being a few words long each. They don't even have So You'd Like To... guides or Listmanias anymore. I actually first began my public Internet life as an Amazon reviewer for a year, and now the place has lost all its charm, though at least you can still conveniently buy things that would be hard to come by otherwise.

In addition to more provocative technology (hopefully VR will blossom into something wonderful), I am hoping to see more of a social focus on individuality, which has been sorely lacking this decade. It's great that I can be more accepted as a lesbian than ever before, but now I would like to be more easily embraced for being a feminine lesbian whose personal interests parallel a typical gay man far more than a jock.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/12/16 at 7:23 pm

Tell us how you really feel.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 03/12/16 at 7:27 pm

Honestly, I like to believe that we're just burnt out from so much pop culture from the 1950's to the 1990's. It will be good again one day, I just think we're kind of in a, "We don't give a crap" stage that will last for a while. Perhaps by 2030 we'll get richer pop culture??

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/12/16 at 7:29 pm

Tell us how you really feel.  8)

I'd just said all that, and it usually shows how I feel.

Written By: 2001 on 03/12/16 at 7:38 pm

I think what's particularly bothersome about trivial social media like Vine, Instagram, and Snapchat is that now you basically have to use these programs regularly just to fit in with other people. Everybody seems to make friends nowadays through social media or dating sites or whatever, and I've disliked all of those venues because they don't appeal to my traits. I'm a more intellectual, deliberate person, and I don't see any real purpose to posting a picture of my latest outfit or what concert I'm at or whatnot. I'd rather meet my friends and eventually the love of my life through meaningful, productive activities.

I can see what you mean. It's probably easier to make new friends if you have an account on those services than without, especially Tindr; asking out random people at a bar doesn't seem to be as common, other than for flings. (in my experience)

But in a way, I think there also other social media platforms that cater to exactly what you're asking for. Me, personally, I have a language-learning log on another forum, and I have my Twitter. It turns out that a lot of people that I follow on Twitter and a lot of the people who follow me are people who enjoy language learning and other similar hobbies, and I feel get a lot of intellectual advice from those people on Twitter (I actually follow and get followed by a more diverse group of people, but that was an example). I doubt anything intelligent is going to come out of Vine or Snapchat, but I do think there are social media platforms that cater to exactly what you're looking for, especially if you tweak them to work that way. ;)

Written By: TheKid99 on 03/12/16 at 8:21 pm

I am personally fine with my life now.

That does not mean I would like things to change though, this is my list of what pop culture should be next.
I would like something like a mix of the late 1970s and the late 1990s
I can guarantee that we will be in a recession before the end of this decade, I know that is a bit scary to think of but its the business cycle, its guaranteed.
This will lead to three things
Less focus on annoying petty little SJW issues and more on Economic issues that affect this nation.
Whomever is in the White House WILL get blamed for the recession, no matter what... which will lead to a dip in popularity to whomever is in office.
If its Hilary, expect something similar to Geroge HW Bush, economic issues will plague her next election and she will not be relected because of it.
If it is say Trump, he will introduce major sweeping deregulation and economic recovery programs that will get our country back on track, but at the cost of American taxpayers and such.
If social security does not get resoled soon, there WILL be a Debt Crisis on the horizon. If we keep SS like it is, in 2021 SS and debt interest and such will eat up 80 PERCENT of our budget, that is not pretty.
The Economy wil finally become the focus of American voters once again and they will vote for the opposite party from what is in the White House.
Something big will come out of this decade by the end of it that will change our future forever.

What I would like to see
A better economy that takes us out of the current malaise we have had since early 2015.
Less annoying as hell SJW nitpicking on the littlest controversy.
A kickstart for America like Ronald Reagan or FDR
I would rather see Trump > Hillary if it came down to that, I know I will get hate for that and I don't like both of them at all, but trust me I would rather see something new than the same old Obama legacy continuation that Hillary seems to be on the path for.
A new technology or innovation that can change everything for the better.
An event in this country that will bring us all together either in joy or sorrow.
A new type of music that comes out and immediately becomes popular with everyone.
Some healing in the extreme divisiveness that has been rampant in this country since 2013.
A recession that is bound to happen that will make us all rethink of all what we did to get out of the Financial Crisis.
Some healing for God's sake.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/12/16 at 9:23 pm

I would like the entertainment industry to put forth more effort. I am completely underwhelmed by the current state of music, movies, video games, T.V., etc. Also, hopefully there will be more impressive technology. Technology right now, just seems too trendy and over-hyped. As for fashion, I really hope it becomes more interesting and appealing. I am really getting sick of the whole hipster influence on the fashion industry. I doubt social media is going anywhere anytime soon. Hopefully it will become less "in your face", at the very least.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/12/16 at 9:26 pm

The main thing I am hoping for is for technology to once again evolve in a direction that stimulates creativity and opportunity, similar to the 90s, and isn't just about convenience. It disgusts me that simulation games like The Sims, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc. have lost significance and that most websites have devolved from intellectual forums to social media pubs.

Amazon is one major example of this; I used to visit that site a lot just to read reviews of albums, movies, etc. (Eggplant and Anthony Rupert were especially engaging reviewers), and now the customer review section has taken the form of social media, with the vast majority of product reviews being a few words long each. They don't even have So You'd Like To... guides or Listmanias anymore. I actually first began my public Internet life as an Amazon reviewer for a year, and now the place has lost all its charm, though at least you can still conveniently buy things that would be hard to come by otherwise.

In addition to more provocative technology (hopefully VR will blossom into something wonderful), I am hoping to see more of a social focus on individuality, which has been sorely lacking this decade. It's great that I can be more accepted as a lesbian than ever before, but now I would like to be more easily embraced for being a feminine lesbian whose personal interests parallel a typical gay man far more than a jock.

THIS!

Written By: #Infinity on 03/12/16 at 9:32 pm

But in a way, I think there also other social media platforms that cater to exactly what you're asking for. Me, personally, I have a language-learning log on another forum, and I have my Twitter. It turns out that a lot of people that I follow on Twitter and a lot of the people who follow me are people who enjoy language learning and other similar hobbies, and I feel get a lot of intellectual advice from those people on Twitter (I actually follow and get followed by a more diverse group of people, but that was an example). I doubt anything intelligent is going to come out of Vine or Snapchat, but I do think there are social media platforms that cater to exactly what you're looking for, especially if you tweak them to work that way. ;)

I don't get much out of social media aside from trivial little posts or photos. I've tried dating sites for the past several months - they're basically an offshoot of social media - but they've been completely unfruitful for me. When I didn't get along with anybody I met on OK Cupid, I tried other sites, which were specifically geared towards lesbians, but all I got was either a bunch of catfish or, in the case of the only lipstick lesbian dating website I could find, a completely inactive site. The only time I find anything truly stimulating these days is when I go out in person to things like playwriting workshops, theatre, or eating out with my closest friends from high school.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/12/16 at 10:37 pm

I would like the entertainment industry to put forth more effort. I am completely underwhelmed by the current state of music, movies, video games, T.V., etc. Also, hopefully there will be more impressive technology. Technology right now, just seems too trendy and over-hyped. As for fashion, I really hope it becomes more interesting and appealing. I am really getting sick of the whole hipster influence on the fashion industry. I doubt social media is going anywhere anytime soon. Hopefully it will become less "in your face", at the very least.

I'm curious, I may have asked you before, but just for a refresher what are your favorite genres of TV shows or movies?

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/12/16 at 11:11 pm

I don't care. Anything as long as it's good. Surprise me.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/16 at 3:05 pm

Honestly, I like to believe that we're just burnt out from so much pop culture from the 1950's to the 1990's. It will be good again one day, I just think we're kind of in a, "We don't give a crap" stage that will last for a while. Perhaps by 2030 we'll get richer pop culture??

I hope so.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/13/16 at 5:39 pm

I'm curious, I may have asked you before, but just for a refresher what are your favorite genres of TV shows or movies?

Eh, it's hard to say. I like all different kinds of genres, when it comes to T.V. shows/movies.

Written By: Redhairkid on 03/13/16 at 6:52 pm

Don't care either way. Current pop culture goes way over my head and as I am getting towards 60, I'm too old to bother.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/13/16 at 9:14 pm

Today's pop culture has been boring.

Agreed!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/13/16 at 9:17 pm

I wanna pop culture and society in general to be fun, badass, contemporary, and less, politically correct, darker and serious like the current era.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/13/16 at 9:22 pm

I hope so.

Me three!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/13/16 at 9:23 pm

Don't care either way. Current pop culture goes way over my head and as I am getting towards 60, I'm too old to bother.

How does it feel heading towards 60?! :o

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 03/14/16 at 1:00 am

I want this type of R&B to make a comeback, it's a shame it didn't last throughout the decade! :\'(
n11pFNe1VzM

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/14/16 at 7:15 am

Remember when people took pictures with their cameras in the mirror in the 2000's? Those were also selfies! It's not a 10's thing, it just has a name now.

I'd love it if entertainment wasn't what the media deems popular shoved at us all the time, and instead placed more importance on creativity and music that doesn't all sound the same. Movies that aren't remakes and based on comics and novel series, and less reality TV. Fashion has improved now since the early 10's, but new influence would be nice to see. If social media became less obnoxious and went back to the personal journal style and making friends based interests instead of trying to gain followings it couldn't happen fast enough. Also, I'm sick of how some social media is strictly for phones and not over the computer too. It's not healthy to be that overconnected.

Written By: Redhairkid on 03/14/16 at 7:34 am

How does it feel heading towards 60?! :o

Bloody awful. I don't fear death but I fear ageing.

Written By: Toon on 03/14/16 at 7:38 am

I want a fun and upbeat type of culture. Like Eazy-Man I don't care for the  politically correct, darker and serious tone of culture the '10s have. But at the same time I don't truly hate today's culture. Just hoping that the 20's culture gets more interesting.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/14/16 at 8:00 am

Remember when people took pictures with their cameras in the mirror in the 2000's? Those were also selfies! It's not a 10's thing, it just has a name now.

Of course! ;) I had a black & white camera I liked taking photos with for fun when I was 7 and 8. I'd do the same thing that you just mentioned, and get those photos developed at Walmart or Eckerd Pharmacy (now Rite Aid).

Written By: Howard on 03/14/16 at 3:15 pm

I'd love it if entertainment wasn't what the media deems popular shoved at us all the time, and instead placed more importance on creativity and music that doesn't all sound the same. Movies that aren't remakes and based on comics and novel series, and less reality TV. Fashion has improved now since the early 10's, but new influence would be nice to see. If social media became less obnoxious and went back to the personal journal style and making friends based interests instead of trying to gain followings it couldn't happen fast enough. Also, I'm sick of how some social media is strictly for phones and not over the computer too. It's not healthy to be that overconnected.

I liked it better when you took pictures with cameras instead of being so self absorbed. ::)

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/15/16 at 10:23 am

I feel this way to now that I think about it. I only see the culture getting more robot-ish. If Trump wins the votes, the current vibe will instantly transform from advance to that strict feel.

I want trap rap gone and balanced technology, which is impossible now. That's a start that would make the culture better for me.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/15/16 at 12:54 pm

Aw, we have to wait that long? I'm hoping around 2024 at the latest, we'll finally get richer pop culture. Though if we do have to wait until 2030, perhaps the 2020s will be a recovery period, where things slowly improve from the dark age of the 2010s. Personally I was hoping the late 2010s would be the recovery period, so that things could get better much sooner (like by 2021), but from a realistic perspective, it may take a bit longer. Hopefully we don't have to wait until 2030 though. This current culture is killing me.  :-[

Written By: Redhairkid on 03/27/16 at 2:29 pm

If I'm honest, I've never really given a crap about pop culture as there is much more to life.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 03/27/16 at 9:05 pm

Do you know the next pop cultural change will happen in a next few years when the first homelanders become adults and will have an impact for the 2020s culture.

Written By: Toon on 03/28/16 at 1:30 am

Do you know the next pop cultural change will happen in a next few years when the first homelanders become adults and will have an impact for the 2020s culture.

That's usually how things work. New people take charge and start having an impact on the culture which causes it to change. Add that with tons of other cultural things like having a new president and new trends in media. Next cultural change could be in the late '10s or early '20s. Or we could start to see little hints of 20's culture happening in the late '10s and by the time we get to 2020 or 2021 we'd be in a world with a culture that doesn't match the one we have now.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/28/16 at 9:06 pm

That's usually how things work. New people take charge and start having an impact on the culture which causes it to change. Add that with tons of other cultural things like having a new president and new trends in media. Next cultural change could be in the late '10s or early '20s. Or we could start to see little hints of 20's culture happening in the late '10s and by the time we get to 2020 or 2021 we'd be in a world with a culture that doesn't match the one we have now.

Whatever happens, hopefully things will get better.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/21/16 at 9:36 pm

Do you guys see any hints already of what's to come in the upcoming years? Besides the election and Trump? So far 2016 feels just like 2015, just a little worse in music. I don't see any hints or new culture on the horizon.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/21/16 at 10:21 pm

Do you guys see any hints already of what's to come in the upcoming years? Besides the election and Trump? So far 2016 feels just like 2015, just a little worse in music. I don't see any hints or new culture on the horizon.

Nope, haven't noticed anything new either. It boggles my mind that such a horrible era, could last this long. I'm seriously waiting for the backlash.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/22/16 at 7:56 pm

Not sure about the pop culture, but I would love for the music industry to produce more Instrumentals and for the tracks to be played in all kinds of stations. It would be nice to listen to a song in all it's beauty without lyrics for a change. Maybe if some of today's musicians composed instrumentals instead of singing the lyrics all the time. 

Written By: Howard on 06/23/16 at 3:02 pm

Not sure about the pop culture, but I would love for the music industry to produce more Instrumentals and for the tracks to be played in all kinds of stations. It would be nice to listen to a song in all it's beauty without lyrics for a change. Maybe if some of today's musicians composed instrumentals instead of singing the lyrics all the time.

I agree.

Written By: 2001 on 06/24/16 at 9:39 pm

Everyone has nice hair all of a sudden. The manbun is mostly gone!

Written By: Howard on 06/25/16 at 7:23 am

Everyone has nice hair all of a sudden. The manbun is mostly gone!

So what's in these days?

Written By: wixness on 07/20/16 at 4:37 am

I'd wait for 2020s. Basically, revival of emo fashion and some parts of mid-late 2000s culture, esp. w/rock music being somewhat mainstream. Has the 2010s become conservative?

Also, more electronic ambient music so I feel like I'm in the future. In addition to emo fashion, more androgynous fashion that isn't just wearing sacks and jeans for both guys and girls. Androgynous fashion shouldn't be afraid to let guys show some skin.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/20/16 at 9:24 pm

I'd wait for 2020s. Basically, revival of emo fashion and some parts of mid-late 2000s culture, esp. w/rock music being somewhat mainstream. Has the 2010s become conservative?

Also, more electronic ambient music so I feel like I'm in the future. In addition to emo fashion, more androgynous fashion that isn't just wearing sacks and jeans for both guys and girls. Androgynous fashion shouldn't be afraid to let guys show some skin.

Yeah I'd like for some rock to come back. But real rock, not this alternative stuff like Twenty One Pilots. People may miss it and it may return. I would also like real rap to return. I want the modern Hip-Hop sound to go away and I want the old school stuff to come back. I pretty much want music to be like it was in the 90s and 2000s with a couple new genres too.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/20/16 at 9:42 pm

Experimental with a mix of musical instruments and electronic

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/21/16 at 9:06 am

I'm fine with any pop culture as long as it gives that bright, colorful, and upbeat tone. Things that're wacky and fun, I suppose. As for revivals since I know that 2000s nostalgia will grab the spotlight it would be cool if the Y2K era and the aesthetic that came with it would make a revival.

But hey I'm just being hopeful.

Written By: aja675 on 07/30/16 at 10:34 am

It won't matter what it will be unless it's good.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/30/16 at 7:11 pm

It won't matter what it will be unless it's good.

Well it somewhat matters as well have a different opinion on what we define as "good".

Check for new replies or respond here...