inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Zootopia roars at US box office

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/16 at 5:53 am

Disney animation Zootopia topped the North American box office for a second weekend, taking $50m (£34.8m).

The film, about a plucky rabbit policewoman, has now earned $142.6m (£99.3m) in the US.

JJ Abrams' produced mystery thriller 10 Cloverfield Lane opened at two with $25.2m (£16.2m), with comic book movie Deadpool at three with $10.8m (£7.5m) in its fifth week of release.

Sacha Baron Cohen's latest film Grimsby - known as The Brothers Grimsby in the US - bombed, taking just $3.2m (£2.2m) from 2,235 locations - equating to $1432 (£997) per location.  With a $35m (£24.4m) budget, it's the biggest flop of Cohen's career. Maybe US audiences didn't get the Northern accent?

Here are the top five films:

1. Zootopia - $50m 
2. 10 Cloverfield Lane - $25.2m
3. Deadpool - $10.8m
4.:London Has Fallen -$10.7m
5. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - $4.6m 

Subject: Re: Zootopia roars at US box office

Written By: 80sfan on 03/14/16 at 6:19 am

It's official, Disney is in a new renaissance right now.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/16 at 6:27 am

Started last year with "Inside Out"?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/14/16 at 6:40 am

Some say it started with Tangled, but it looks more likely in retrospect that Frozen will be looked at as the starter of the Millennial renaissance of Disney.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/16 at 6:42 am

Some say it started with Tangled, but it looks more likely in retrospect that Frozen will be looked at as the starter of the Millennial renaissance of Disney.
O0

Written By: 80sfan on 03/14/16 at 6:44 am

The Princess and the Frog, and Tangled, all are okay movies I've heard. Like they were 'previews' of the coming explosion!  :o

Written By: Toon on 03/14/16 at 7:40 am

Disney been in their new renaissance since Princess and the Frog in 2009 according to articles/sources.

Ripped from Wikipedia
2009–present: Disney Revival era, return to traditional animation
When Lasseter took creative control of the animation division with the purchase of Pixar, Disney announced they would return to traditional animation with the 2009 release of The Princess and the Frog, loosely based on The Frog Princess, which was largely well received by critics and audiences alike and a financial success (grossing over $267 million). It was nominated for three Academy Awards, including Best Animated Feature. Today, The Princess and the Frog is seen as the modern turning point for the studio, and the beginning of the new revival era of Disney animated films.

In 2010, Disney released its 50th animated feature, Tangled, which continued the new direction for the studio and the trend of positive critical reception. Following the tradition of the 1990s animated films, Tangled was a musical fairy tale loosely based on the story of "Rapunzel." The film received nominations for several awards and was highly successful critically and commercially, earning more than $500 million worldwide and reigniting interest in Walt Disney Animation Studios. Winnie the Pooh followed in 2011 and was critically acclaimed, but received modest returns at the box office. In 2012, Disney saw another critical release with Wreck-It Ralph, which was released to similar critical and commercial success as Tangled. It was nominated for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars and the Golden Globes.

In 2013, the studio released Frozen, a musical film loosely based on the fairy tale The Snow Queen, which was released to widespread acclaim and broke box office records during its first weekend of release. It went on to become the first film from Walt Disney Animation Studios to gross $1 billion worldwide and also the highest-grossing animated film of all time. Frozen also won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, as well as the Academy Award for Best Original Song for "Let it Go."

In 2014, the studio released Big Hero 6, a film inspired by the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name. The film received critical acclaim upon its release and was a box office success, grossing over $657 million and becoming 2014's highest-grossing animated film. It also won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature and is currently Disney Animation Studios' most financially successful non-musical animated feature film.

In 2016, the studio released Zootopia to considerable international critical and commercial success not only for its artistic excellence, but also for being a sophisticated beast fable about prejudice and stereotypes that proved exceptionally timely in the contemporary American political environment.

Inside Out is a Pixar movie so it normally doesn't get grouped with Disney's movies despite Pixar being owned by Disney.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/16 at 7:43 am

Inside Out is a Pixar movie so it normally doesn't get grouped with Disney's movies despite Pixar being owned by Disney.
...and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.

Written By: Toon on 03/14/16 at 7:48 am

...and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.

Yep, but not seen as part of Disney's lineup of movies. It's confusing. Movies like Toy Story for example wasn't seen as part of Disney's Renaissance in the 1990s. And movies like Incredibles and Finding Nemo wasn't part of Disney's Post-Renaissance in the 2000s.

Pixar usually gets their own separate era of movies. For example the Disney Renaissance is 1989-1999 and the Revival era (or Neo-Renaissance) us from 2009-Present. The Pixar golden age is from 1995-2010 as some would say. This confuses me at times.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/16 at 7:53 am

Yep, but not seen as part of Disney's lineup of movies. It's confusing. Movies like Toy Story for example wasn't seen as part of Disney's Renaissance in the 1990s. And movies like Incredibles and Finding Nemo wasn't part of Disney's Post-Renaissance in the 2000s.

Pixar usually gets their own separate era of movies. For example the Disney Renaissance is 1989-1999 and the Revival era (or Neo-Renaissance) us from 2009-Present. The Pixar golden age is from 1995-2010 as some would say. This confuses me at times.
For "Inside Out", the term is co-produced, the Disney Castle is the first thing you see in the opening frames of the film, and followed by the bouncing anglepoise of Pixar.

Written By: Toon on 03/14/16 at 7:58 am

The term is co-produced, the Disney Castle is the first thing you see in the opening frames of the film.

I understand that. Disney is the ones who publish/distribute the Pixar movies after all. But when people talk about the eras of Disney you'll usually see a lack of any mention of Pixar or their movies.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/14/16 at 12:56 pm

No, it was clearly either Princess and the Frog or Tangled, not as late as Frozen. Popular consensus considers both of the former movies, as well as Wreck-It-Ralph and even Winnie-the-Pooh to be a lot better than Meet the Robinsons, Home on the Range, Chicken Little, and the ilk. Even back when the original Renaissance started, a lot of people couldn't fully tell that Disney got its groove back until Beauty and the Beast came out, considering how underwhelming The Rescuers Down Under's performance was (Winnie-the-Pooh is sort of this era's equivalent). Still, saying Tangled and Wreck-It-Ralph aren't neo-Disney Renaissance is like saying The Little Mermaid isn't classic Disney Renaissance and still part of the Disney Dark Age.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/14/16 at 1:22 pm

No, it was clearly either Princess and the Frog or Tangled, not as late as Frozen. Popular consensus considers both of the former movies, as well as Wreck-It-Ralph and even Winnie-the-Pooh to be a lot better than Meet the Robinsons, Home on the Range, Chicken Little, and the ilk. Even back when the original Renaissance started, a lot of people couldn't fully tell that Disney got its groove back until Beauty and the Beast came out, considering how underwhelming The Rescuers Down Under's performance was (Winnie-the-Pooh is sort of this era's equivalent). Still, saying Tangled and Wreck-It-Ralph aren't neo-Disney Renaissance is like saying The Little Mermaid isn't classic Disney Renaissance and still part of the Disney Dark Age.

Well, facts are facts. If it's Princess and the Frog, or Tangled. Then so be it.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/14/16 at 7:06 pm

If only hand drawn animation would come back. Then it would truly be a renaissance. I really hope it comes back in the 2020s.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/14/16 at 7:10 pm

If only hand drawn animation would come back. Then it would truly be a renaissance. I really hope it comes back in the 2020s.

To play devil's advocate, it's nice to get a new format. But drawn animation is eternally great.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/14/16 at 7:21 pm

To play devil's advocate, it's nice to get a new format. But drawn animation is eternally great.

Well yeah, but I don't see why they can't do both CG and hand drawn animation. I'm sick of only seeing CG movies coming out.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/14/16 at 10:44 pm

Well yeah, but I don't see why they can't do both CG and hand drawn animation. I'm sick of only seeing CG movies coming out.

For Pavlovian reasons, CG movies are seen as being a bit edgier and more mature, while traditional hand-drawn films are regarded as kiddie stuff. Pioneering CGI movies like Toy Story and Shrek genuinely appealed to all ages when they came out, while simultaneous 2D animated films tended only to attract family audiences. Just imagine if both of those movies had been hand-drawn instead; we'd probably see an evolution of 2D/traditional films, perhaps employing flash software to an advanced degree, instead of 3D swallowing up 2D completely.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/14/16 at 11:10 pm

There is a pretty big Zootopia boycott happening because apparently it promotes a progressive, pro-LGBT agenda.  A lot of people in my town have said they walked out of it.  I haven't seen it yet but want to.  You know it's the mid '10s when you can't enjoy a silly movie about animals without ascribing some ulterior political agenda to it.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/15/16 at 12:19 am

There is a pretty big Zootopia boycott happening because apparently it promotes a progressive, pro-LGBT agenda.  A lot of people in my town have said they walked out of it.  I haven't seen it yet but want to.  You know it's the mid '10s when you can't enjoy a silly movie about animals without ascribing some ulterior political agenda to it.

The exact same crap happened with Frozen, too.

Written By: 2001 on 03/15/16 at 12:26 am

The exact same crap happened with Frozen, too.

I heard the Star Wars movie was SJW propaganda. The Internet brings the crazies together. This was my favourite Internet thing of 2015, apparently her staff represents a black penis and is subliminally turning white women away from white men.

http://i2.wp.com/www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/starwarscuckballCensored2900.png

Image seems to get resized, here's the original http://i2.wp.com/www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/starwarscuckballCensored2900.png

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/15/16 at 12:46 am

I just looked it up and I don't see any news stories about boycotts of Zootopia. The movie talks about prejudice and could be interpreted as translating to race in the real world.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/15/16 at 2:14 am

For Pavlovian reasons, CG movies are seen as being a bit edgier and more mature, while traditional hand-drawn films are regarded as kiddie stuff. Pioneering CGI movies like Toy Story and Shrek genuinely appealed to all ages when they came out, while simultaneous 2D animated films tended only to attract family audiences. Just imagine if both of those movies had been hand-drawn instead; we'd probably see an evolution of 2D/traditional films, perhaps employing flash software to an advanced degree, instead of 3D swallowing up 2D completely.

I disagree with them. Hand drawn drawings are so classy and sophisticated.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/16 at 2:57 am

I disagree with them. Hand drawn drawings are so classy and sophisticated.
Like the work of Japanese film director Isao Takahata, especially with his latest film "The Tale of the Princess Kaguya".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/film/The%20Tale%20of%20Princess%20Kaguya/kaguyamain-xlarge.jpg

Why the pen is mightier than the pixel: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/the-tale-of-princess-kaguya/disney-ghibli-hand-drawn-animation/

Written By: 80sfan on 03/15/16 at 3:13 am

Like the work of Japanese film director Isao Takahata, especially with his latest film "The Tale of the Princess Kaguya".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/film/The%20Tale%20of%20Princess%20Kaguya/kaguyamain-xlarge.jpg

Why the pen is mightier than the pixel: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/the-tale-of-princess-kaguya/disney-ghibli-hand-drawn-animation/

That's a really nice drawing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/16 at 6:13 am

That's a really nice drawing.
O0

Written By: 2001 on 04/18/16 at 5:35 pm

Anyone get a chance to watch this movie?

I watched it was hilarious! If you watch the movie as an adult you will get a completely different perspective on it than if you watched it as a kid. I went with my little sisters (10 year olds) and I was laughing at completely different jokes than they were. It's a movie that's very, very relevant to today's world. It couldn't have come out at a better time.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/18/16 at 5:51 pm

I watched it was hilarious! If you watch the movie as an adult you will get a completely different perspective on it than if you watched it as a kid. I went with my little sisters (10 year olds) and I was laughing at completely different jokes than they were. It's a movie that's very, very relevant to today's world. It couldn't have come out at a better time.

Yeah, it's a wonderful film, easily my favorite movie in the Disney Animated Canon. Frankly, it's even more definitive to 2010s culture than Frozen is, at least thematically. It would be hard for it to sell quite as much merchandise as Frozen, even though it's still a pretty marketable product.

Check for new replies or respond here...