inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: North Carolina hits a new low

Written By: #Infinity on 03/24/16 at 2:11 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/north-carolina-lgbt-discrimination_us_56f2b7dbe4b0c3ef5217676c

And you thought North Carolina was one of the more liberal Southern states? They may as well ban cities from protecting African Americans because it's against their faith and privacy to have to treat blacks like fellow humans.

Subject: Re: North Carolina hits a new low

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/24/16 at 2:40 am

Sounds like NC stood up to protect the right of free association.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/24/16 at 5:56 am

I guess there comes the backlash of LGBT groups after the Supreme Court lifting of those same-sex marriage bans.

Written By: TheKid99 on 03/24/16 at 6:59 am

Also NC is now enforcing the 1 mph over the speed limit equals a speeding ticket.
http://myfox8.com/2016/03/23/speeding-enforcement-crackdown-in-nc-to-target-anyone-going-above-posted-limit/

Really don't want to live in NC now.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/24/16 at 7:26 am

Also NC is now enforcing the 1 mph over the speed limit equals a speeding ticket.
http://myfox8.com/2016/03/23/speeding-enforcement-crackdown-in-nc-to-target-anyone-going-above-posted-limit/

Really don't want to live in NC now.

I'm glad you brought this up. Anyone else notice when driving on the road police don't do anything if people are driving 1 mph to 10 mph over the speed limit? In most places you're only at risk of getting a ticket if you drive over 10 mph+ over the speed limit. Unless a certain city or small town enforces it strictly. Usually if you're in traffic you have to drive at the speed limit or lower, but if it's a wide open area when there's barely any cars around you can easily drive some mph over the speed limit. I always drive 60 to 65 mph on a 55 mph speed limit road. I always drive 50 to 55 mph on a 45 mph speed limit road, unless there's heavy traffic. Some cities do enforce though, like some of those small towns that have a bunch of police on the roads and hills spying everywhere are a lot more strict, and in areas like that they enforce the speed limit and if you drive 1+ over they'll give you a ticket immediately. It usually depends on the area though. Some laws are enforced strictly, some are not. If you think you see any Ford Crown Victoria, Dodge Charger, or any of those police cars/trucks with push bumpers in front of their cars/trucks. Whether the police car/truck is behind you or ahead from a far distance, always slow down just in case.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/16 at 8:22 am

Well, the south is pretty screwed up.  :P

Written By: 2001 on 03/24/16 at 10:01 am

Disgusting. There should be a constitutional amendment that protects minorities from discrimination.

I'm glad you brought this up. Anyone else notice when driving on the road police don't do anything if people are driving 1 mph to 10 mph over the speed limit? In most places you're only at risk of getting a ticket if you drive over 10 mph+ over the speed limit. Unless a certain city or small town enforces it strictly. Usually if you're in traffic you have to drive at the speed limit or lower, but if it's a wide open area when there's barely any cars around you can easily drive some mph over the speed limit. I always drive 60 to 65 mph on a 55 mph speed limit road. I always drive 50 to 55 mph on a 45 mph speed limit road, unless there's heavy traffic. Some cities do enforce though, like some of those small towns that have a bunch of police on the roads and hills spying everywhere are a lot more strict, and in areas like that they enforce the speed limit and if you drive 1+ over they'll give you a ticket immediately. It usually depends on the area though. Some laws are enforced strictly, some are not. If you think you see any Ford Crown Victoria, Dodge Charger, or any of those police cars/trucks with push bumpers in front of their cars/trucks. Whether the police car/truck is behind you or ahead from a far distance, always slow down just in case.

I can get away with driving 10 km/h (around 5 mph) over the speed limit on the highway, but not more than that. On normal roads though, as you said, there are way too many speed traps.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/24/16 at 3:57 pm

Not every southern state is screwed up. There's at least Northern Texas and Virginia. I could name others, but I don't know if they're crazy as sh*t or not.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/16 at 9:05 pm

Not every southern state is screwed up. There's at least Northern Texas and Virginia. I could name others, but I don't know if they're crazy as sh*t or not.

I want to go visit Texas one day.  8)

Written By: 2001 on 03/24/16 at 9:21 pm

What is special about Northern Texas?

Virginia isn't really the south. It's not the north either, it's half and half.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/30/16 at 5:52 am

What is special about Northern Texas?

Virginia isn't really the south. It's not the north either, it's half and half.

It's home to Austin, Texas. Which is the capital of Texas, but somehow pre-dominantly liberal.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/03/16 at 5:40 pm

Except for Georgia ;)

Written By: mqg96 on 04/03/16 at 10:52 pm

Except for Georgia ;)

LOL! My home state!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/04/16 at 7:50 pm

My hometown of Missouri has a VERY southern mentality... despite being a midwest! :o :o :o :o :o :o I mean it's CRAZY!! :D Outside of St. Louis city, it feels REAL south like!!! ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/04/16 at 7:55 pm

Except for Georgia ;)

;D

Written By: mqg96 on 04/05/16 at 3:57 pm

My hometown of Missouri has a VERY southern mentality... despite being a midwest! :o :o :o :o :o :o I mean it's CRAZY!! :D Outside of St. Louis city, it feels REAL south like!!! ;D

I can definitely see that! Pop culturally, sports, and fashion wise I can definitely see many parts of Missouri having a southern mentality. Explains why your NFL team should have never moved to LA (especially when y'all only championship came from St. Louis), and it also explains why Mizzou moved away from the Big 12 to the SEC back in 2012.

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/13/16 at 1:06 am

This thread should really read "North Carolina does the right thing". No joke, I find it incredibly admirable that they have the courage to do something no other state does. Who cares about that cancelled Bruce Springsteen concert? Or the scrapped PayPal center? Neither of those things matter in the long run, but this actually does. In a good way. End of discussion.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/13/16 at 2:36 am

This thread should really read "North Carolina does the right thing". No joke, I find it incredibly admirable that they have the courage to do something no other state does. Who cares about that cancelled Bruce Springsteen concert? Or the scrapped PayPal center? Neither of those things matter in the long run, but this actually does. In a good way. End of discussion.

:(

As a gay man, sometimes such cruelty like the above can really get to me, but I know this law will be nullified eventually.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/13/16 at 5:07 am

:o

I pray you're being sarcastic, even though you say "no joke." Otherwise, I've just lost a ton of respect for you. Do you have no sense of context?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/13/16 at 7:51 am

Really, ArcticFox, really?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/13/16 at 12:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqASSN5S2CI

Cat

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 8:14 pm

As someone who's neutral over the LGBT community, I can't stand this. It's like saying it's okay to beat up homosexuals, because they're sexually different. It's just offensive to people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. Especially Infinity. I mean, they did that sh*t because of homophobic people who passed that law. I know that it's against freedom of speech to say it should be illegal to pass "anti-LGBT" laws, but it's just offensive.

I'm a biracial. My mother is white, while my father is black. Fifty years ago, people would still freak out over interracial marriage because they think it's part of "white genocide" or that it's ruining America. That's the same bullsh*t you people are putting into the government's mouths with these anti-LGBT bills. I just don't know if I could be your friend or not after that message, ArcticFox. I just can't.

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 8:22 pm

Ted Cruz is disgusting. Every time I see him I feel like projectile vomiting all over my TV.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 8:23 pm

Ted Cruz is disgusting. Every time I see him I feel like projectile vomiting all over my TV.

Same with Donald Trump.

Written By: 2001 on 04/25/16 at 8:30 pm

Same with Donald Trump.

Ted Cruz is worse. Trump is playing to his electorate, or so it feels like it. Cruz is actually batsh*t insane.

Also I get nauseous when I look at him, because I can't forget the time he hate his booger and thought no one was looking.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/25/16 at 8:30 pm

As someone who's neutral over the LGBT community, I can't stand this. This is like it's okay to beat up homosexuals, because they're sexually different. It's just offensive to people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. Especially Infinity. I mean, they did that sh*t because of homophobic people who passed that law. I know that it's against freedom of speech to say it should be illegal to pass "anti-LGBT" laws, but it's just offensive.

I'm a biracial. My mother is white, while my father is black. Fifty years ago, people would still freak out over interracial marriage because they think it's part of "white genocide" or that it's ruining America. That's the same bullsh*t you people are putting into the government's mouths with these anti-LGBT bills. I just don't know if I could be your friend or not after that message, ArcticFox. I just can't.

Not just interracial marriages/relationships and LGBT, but even fat people, the poor, the disabled and those who were not in a religion as well.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/25/16 at 8:34 pm

Not just interracial marriages/relationships and LGBT, but even fat people, the poor, the disabled and those who were not in a religion as well.

Damn. That's harsh for our society.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/25/16 at 8:37 pm

Damn. That's harsh for our society.
Yeah,  and it still happens today. Despite more people being tolerant, some still attack those who are in any of those groups.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/25/16 at 9:50 pm

As someone who's neutral over the LGBT community, I can't stand this. It's like saying it's okay to beat up homosexuals, because they're sexually different. It's just offensive to people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. Especially Infinity. I mean, they did that sh*t because of homophobic people who passed that law. I know that it's against freedom of speech to say it should be illegal to pass "anti-LGBT" laws, but it's just offensive.

I really want to forgive ArcticFox, that somehow what he said was not what he meant, but I'm worried that's not gonna happen. It's been almost two weeks and he still hasn't said anything regarding the matter, despite still being active here. Hopefully, he's thinking of some sort of sincere explanation, and that's what's taking so long. However, if he still has no regrets or purposefully continues to say nothing, then I've officially given up on him as a person. Shame, because he was one of the most riveting individuals to debate with here.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/25/16 at 10:15 pm

Sadly, you don't have to go back fifty years. A majority of people here in the south still thought that interracial marriage should be illegal in 1995. No, that's not a typo. A majority of southerners thought that the government should legally bar black and white people from getting married as late as 1995. I remember seeing biracial kids get picked on when I was in school 15-20 years ago myself.

We've made progress around these parts. I'm not even all that old and I'm impressed by the changes I've seen here just in my lifetime, but, as North Carolina has proved, we're still not where we need to be on issues of equality.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/25/16 at 10:36 pm

Arctic Fox is arctic, is cold..... :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/25/16 at 10:55 pm

I agree. This law's uncalled for. People being LGBT aren't hurting anybody. They're just being who they are and living their lives. People can be what they want just as long as they aren't hurting anyone. And on the opposite end, if someone doesn't like LGBT people then that's fine but they should stay out of their business. Be adults and accept the fact that people don't live the same way you do and live and let live. There are things in this world that you won't like whether it's people of other sexualities, viewpoints, personalities, etc. You have to learn to live and co-exist with it acknowledging that not everything fits in to your little view of life.

I don't like their music but Pearl Jam did something right by cancelling the NC dates on their tour. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/26/16 at 5:31 am

I agree. This law's uncalled for. People being LGBT aren't hurting anybody. They're just being who they are and living their lives. People can be what they want just as long as they aren't hurting anyone. And on the opposite end, if someone doesn't like LGBT people then that's fine but they should stay out of their business. Be adults and accept the fact that people don't live the same way you do and live and let live. There are things in this world that you won't like whether it's people of other sexualities, viewpoints, personalities, etc. You have to learn to live and co-exist with it acknowledging that not everything fits in to your little view of life.

I don't like their music but Pearl Jam did something right by cancelling the NC dates on their tour.

Then you should have no problem with businesses or individuals who choose to not do business with LBGT "Q". For some reason the LBGT "Q" seem to feel compelled to say. "Like me!".  If a bakery does not want to bake a gay wedding cake, it is their right. If a venue does not want to host a gay bachelor party, it is their property and their right to choose... it is called the right to free association, some thing that is lost on the LBGT "Q" community.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/26/16 at 11:55 am

Unfortunately, people have to have a scapegoat for all their problems. It is the blacks, the Jews, the Muslims, the LGBTs, the Hispanics, the immigrants, etc. etc. Be afraid, BE VERY AFRAID!!! These people are going to take away what is yours, gonna rape your daughters, etc. etc. 

Until people learn that others who are different don't pose a threat, then maybe the hatred will stop.

And my question is, how are they going to impose the bathroom law? Are they going to have cops standing outside EVERY bathroom in the state?

Cat 

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/16 at 9:13 pm

A few hours after ArcticFox's spiteful remarks, I still feel pretty hurt. Alas, maybe I'm just too darn sensitive, due to always having wanted to find genuine love with another woman, only to always be misunderstood and distrusted, and this whole bathroom law reinforces everything I don't want to be seen as. All I know is that this bathroom bullsheesh is completely outlandish and does nothing except fuel the stark feeling of isolation that people like me suffer through every day.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/26/16 at 9:44 pm

I had no idea you were mixed! :o  Cool! :)

Written By: 2001 on 04/26/16 at 9:55 pm

A few hours after ArcticFox's spiteful remarks, I still feel pretty hurt. Alas, maybe I'm just too darn sensitive, due to always having wanted to find genuine love with another woman, only to always be misunderstood and distrusted, and this whole bathroom law reinforces everything I don't want to be seen as. All I know is that this bathroom bullsheesh is completely outlandish and does nothing except fuel the stark feeling of isolation that people like me suffer through every day.

I don't think you're being sensitive. Don't let transgendered people use the bathroom of their gender because they could be rapists and murderers?  ::) if he said that about any other group he'd be anathema. That's not to mention he used anecdotes* rather than actual data... Which would have revealed this to be an absolute non issue.

I consider these petty laws to be the last hurrah for the religious right on this issue. A lot of businesses and economic interests are now working against them, not just civil rights groups. These states are going to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but it's going to happen sooner rather than later.

*Funny thing about the anecdote was that the chick who walked into the washroom knew the rapist was a man, she just thought he was fooling around with his girlfriend in the woman's washroom. I don't see how any anti-trans legislation would have changed that situation.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/27/16 at 11:18 am

This was a letter to the editor in my local paper this morning:

Frank Bruni’s article, “Tempest in a toilet,” (Rutland Herald, April 25) should be required reading for anyone wanting to know more about the public restroom issue exploding in some states.

I once attended a workshop on the history of public toilets in the civil rights movement. What I learned is that public toilets have been used as scare tactics in virtually every group’s efforts to achieve equal rights. It isn’t surprising that the issue is being used again today.

Public toilets were originally provided for men only. It was believed that a woman out of the house long enough to need a restroom was probably up to no good. Women were considered the property of men, and denying restroom access was one way to control and keep women out of the public venue.

Up to the 1960s, many states had separate restrooms for “colored” and “white only.” Interracial access to restrooms was part of the argument for negating President Truman’s desegregation of the army. Baseless lies about health and cleanliness were circulated in attempts to justify keeping separate restroom facilities for races.

During the 1970s Equal Rights Amendment debate, opponents declared that, if our Constitution were amended giving women equal rights, men and women would be required to share the same public restrooms. It was a falsehood but one of many successful ploys used to keep the amendment from being passed.

Now, as transgender Americans are becoming more visible in society, fear-mongering is being used again in attempts to create unequal rights. Transgender citizens have been using the restroom they most identify with for many years without incident. Where is the need for restrictive laws?

Public restrooms are once again being used as a cynical scare tactic to justify discrimination.

RICHARD CARTER

Danby

The article he was referring to can be read here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/24/opinion/sunday/tempest-in-a-toilet.html

Like I said, be afraid. Be VERY afraid because someone needs to answer the call of nature.  ::)

BTW, I have used the men's room a few times in my day because the ladies' room was out of order or because as everyone knows, there is ALWAYS a line to the ladies' room. It was never a big deal.

Cat

Written By: meesa on 04/27/16 at 8:18 pm

When are we going to start looking for who is behind the dolts that are supporting all of this ridiculous sheeshe? Behind all of the simpleton fools out there spouting separatist/supremacist/ internalized-hate garbage, there is always someone with an agenda fanning these flames and putting the words in their mouths. Mind you, the dolts are not savvy enough to figure out that it is someone else that is playing on their fears/prejudices and fanning those flames.
And unfortunately- it's working. Look at how divided we are as a country right now in the US. Put it this way: who stands to GAIN from this?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/27/16 at 8:22 pm

I had no idea you were mixed! :o  Cool! :)

Yeah, I don't mention that I'm a biracial that often, due to personal reasons.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/30/16 at 8:05 pm

There's already a million signatures for a petition to boycott Target for their open-minded policy. I feel truly unwanted right now.

Written By: 2001 on 04/30/16 at 8:24 pm

There's already a million signatures for a petition to boycott Target for their open-minded policy. I feel truly unwanted right now.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--uJYUJ7W2--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

Also it would be nice to know how many of these people shop at Target in the first place.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/01/16 at 12:46 am

Unfortunately, people have to have a scapegoat for all their problems. It is the blacks, the Jews, the Muslims, the LGBTs, the Hispanics, the immigrants, etc. etc. Be afraid, BE VERY AFRAID!!! These people are going to take away what is yours, gonna rape your daughters, etc. etc. 

Until people learn that others who are different don't pose a threat, then maybe the hatred will stop.

And my question is, how are they going to impose the bathroom law? Are they going to have cops standing outside EVERY bathroom in the state?

Cat

How would they even tell who's who? Ask for ID at the bathroom door like it's line to get into a nightclub?

Or the other matter of how criminals don't follow laws to begin with. To attack someone anywhere is against the law no matter if it's in a public restroom or out on the street. Interesting too how the logic is that it's for women's and girls protection when predators could be after boys too? I've never heard of perverts in disguise hiding in the ladies room so often there's an epidemic of it. This logic is just so fail...I can't even!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/16 at 11:18 am

How would they even tell who's who? Ask for ID at the bathroom door like it's line to get into a nightclub?

Or the other matter of how criminals don't follow laws to begin with. To attack someone anywhere is against the law no matter if it's in a public restroom or out on the street. Interesting too how the logic is that it's for women's and girls protection when predators could be after boys too? I've never heard of perverts in disguise hiding in the ladies room so often there's an epidemic of it. This logic is just so fail...I can't even!

I can't remember who said it but they were asking if Catholic priests should have their own bathrooms.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/04/16 at 10:13 pm

And unfortunately- it's working. Look at how divided we are as a country right now in the US. Put it this way: who stands to GAIN from this?

(Old Russian Jewish joke that dates back to the days of Nicholas II)
"Ach," the rabbi replied, "I have no idea, but the government's conclusion will be the same as always: they will blame the Jews and the chimneysweeps."
"Why the chimneysweeps?" asked the befuddled official.
"Why the Jews?" responded the rabbi.

If you're dependent on a religious demographic (i.e. Silents and Boomers who are slowly dying off), you need an issue to get them to the polls.  You need something icky; not necessarily illegal, but something regarded as eew.  People who are merely wrong could be taught, but these people aren't merely wrong, their brains are different, and that makes them a threat that must be dealt with using the force of law.

The people that argued that interracial marriage was akin to bestality ("I mean really, human-caveman sex?") are all dead of old age.  Contraception and abortion bans ("What, non-procreational sex?  Without life-altering risk attached to it?") are largely-settled issues amongst boomers.  Propositions to ban gay marriage ("I mean at least heterosexual sex can occasionally result in an unwanted pregnancy!") on a state-by-state basis is off the table due to the SCOTUS ruling.  The trans people are just next in line: close enough to gay (if you know nothing about trans people, which these voters don't) as to trigger an eew reflex amongst fundamentalist authoritarians.  And they're a small and visible enough minority to beat up upon.

So, why the trans people?  Because the politicians who need a pogrom to get their supporters to the polls were temporarily out of chimneysweeps.

Written By: aja675 on 05/11/16 at 5:24 am

By the way, on some forum I'm in, there are so many anti-transgender comments on this thread:
http://s1.zetaboards.com/anthroscape/topic/6040841/1/

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/16 at 5:48 am

By the way, on some forum I'm in, there are so many anti-transgender comments on this thread:

Are they more liberal or conservative?

Written By: bchris02 on 05/11/16 at 2:55 pm

:(

As a gay man, sometimes such cruelty like the above can really get to me, but I know this law will be nullified eventually.

Yeah, I am a closeted gay man living in a extremely hostile area towards LGBT people.  Almost daily, people are blaming the gays for this or that (most people don't know the difference between gay and transgender) and most people here support the NC law.

The real issue, and the NC law shows us this, is not bathrooms.  Conservatives are using bathroom hysteria as means to pass laws to discriminate against the broader LGBT community.  You hear about HB2 as a "bathroom bill" but what you don't hear is it protects employers who fire employees based on sexual orientation and it is also a religious freedom bill, allowing businesses to refuse service to LGBT people.

I think the homophobia and backlash against LGBT progress among the religious right is getting out of hand.  It's been said that way of thinking is on its death throws, but a dying animal can be the most dangerous when down and injured.  I hope I live to see a day when I can openly be myself and love somebody without being hated by a large percentage of society.

Written By: 2001 on 05/11/16 at 4:54 pm

It looks like North Carolina will lose a lot of federal funding for law enforcement and its post secondary institutions if it goes through with the law.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/09/politics/north-carolina-hb2-justice-department-deadline/

I want to see them play the "states rights" card after how they just mutilated municipal rights  ::)

Written By: aja675 on 05/12/16 at 3:19 am

Are they more liberal or conservative?
There's no particular political bias that marks that forum, but it does seem that the male members there are really afraid of accidentally having sex with a trans woman and are really repulsed by transsexuals to the point that many of them end up discriminating against transgender people.

Written By: musicguy93 on 05/12/16 at 5:59 pm

I clicked on the link, though I kind of regret it. The hateful comments on that thread gave me a migraine.

Written By: 2001 on 05/12/16 at 6:06 pm

I clicked on the link, though I kind of regret it. The hateful comments on that thread gave me a migraine.

I have the site blocked by Leechblock for some reason. I forgot why  :D Looks like it might have been for a good reason.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/12/16 at 6:53 pm

I've read through some of their posts. I guess most of their posters are racist and homophobic f*ckwads, who probably migrated from Stormfront (or some white-supremacist site).

Written By: aja675 on 05/12/16 at 11:07 pm

Should I feel like some backstabbing SJW? I mean, that forum isn't entirely terrible, but transphobia is quite rampant there.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/16/16 at 10:09 pm

http://i.imgur.com/DZQn5Xr.jpg

With sympathy to people who actually have to deal with living in backwards states like NC.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/19/16 at 11:15 pm

Then you should have no problem with businesses or individuals who choose to not do business with LBGT "Q". For some reason the LBGT "Q" seem to feel compelled to say. "Like me!".  If a bakery does not want to bake a gay wedding cake, it is their right. If a venue does not want to host a gay bachelor party, it is their property and their right to choose... it is called the right to free association, some thing that is lost on the LBGT "Q" community.

Everyone do yourself's a favor and read explanations people gave for being anti-civil rights back in the 50s and 60s and look at this quote.

People should only be denied service based on their actions. Not by who they are. I will do all that I can to fight against laws that would deny me or anyone else service based on sex, gender, race, sexuality, ability, or religion.

No compromises.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/16 at 12:10 pm

Everyone do yourself's a favor and read explanations people gave for being anti-civil rights back in the 50s and 60s and look at this quote.

People should only be denied service based on their actions. Not by who they are. I will do all that I can to fight against laws that would deny me or anyone else service based on sex, gender, race, sexuality, ability, or religion.

No compromises.

I agree-but disagree. It should be based on WHO you are-not WHAT you are. Who I am is Cat. What I am is a heterosexual, married, mature, woman, a Wiccan (with Jew/Episcopalian roots), disabled vet, etc. etc. I think you get the point.

Cat 

Written By: 80sfan on 05/20/16 at 12:17 pm

Let's go back to nature, and just poo in a hole.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/21/16 at 1:17 am

Cat

Always with the "taking our women and daughters!" like women are mere property.  ::)

Yeah, I am a closeted gay man living in a extremely hostile area towards LGBT people.  Almost daily, people are blaming the gays for this or that (most people don't know the difference between gay and transgender) and most people here support the NC law.

The real issue, and the NC law shows us this, is not bathrooms.  Conservatives are using bathroom hysteria as means to pass laws to discriminate against the broader LGBT community.  You hear about HB2 as a "bathroom bill" but what you don't hear is it protects employers who fire employees based on sexual orientation and it is also a religious freedom bill, allowing businesses to refuse service to LGBT people.

I think the homophobia and backlash against LGBT progress among the religious right is getting out of hand.  It's been said that way of thinking is on its death throws, but a dying animal can be the most dangerous when down and injured.  I hope I live to see a day when I can openly be myself and love somebody without being hated by a large percentage of society.

Not trying to sound ageist, but alot of this way of thinking is with older generations. It won't die out completely, but when only the younger generations now are older and in charge of it all, it will probably be down to only a small enough minority that it's not a threat.

Written By: 2001 on 05/21/16 at 4:04 pm

Canada to add gender expression and gender identity as protected minority class

Democrat Millennials need to start voting in mid-terms and state elections, not just every 4 years. The problem isn't SJWs, it's the fact that there are too many regressive Republicans in office. It's simple math.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/21/16 at 6:56 pm

Canada to add gender expression and gender identity as protected minority class

Democrat Millennials need to start voting in mid-terms and state elections, not just every 4 years. The problem isn't SJWs, it's the fact that there are too many regressive Republicans in office. It's simple math.

Yes, the reactionary anti-SJWs make me a lot more angry than SJWs do, personally.  I have to laugh when they accuse liberals of being delicate snowflakes offended by everything when they are the ones constantly raising hell about everything in culture, all the way down to a red Starbucks cup.

Written By: aja675 on 05/30/16 at 4:47 am

I find it funny how all one member got from this thread was that he/she is now scared of the uncanny valley effect of realizing that not everyone is of the same gender as their sex assigned at birth.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/30/16 at 8:30 am

....realizing that not everyone is of the same gender as their sex assigned at birth.

WTF ?

Written By: #Infinity on 05/30/16 at 6:51 pm

WTF ?

I'm guessing you think transgenderism is nothing but a ploy for attention, then?

Written By: Red Ant on 06/01/16 at 12:31 am

Haha, some of those comments are hysterical, especially guys that think they could tell a healed up, well done mtf gender reassignment/sex change vagina from a natural one.  Most gynecologists cant tell at a glance.

Ant

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/01/16 at 5:37 pm

I'm guessing you think transgenderism is nothing but a ploy for attention, then?

Depends on how you define gender. For millennia it was defined as how one was born physically. Now people want to redefine the term.

Whatever... Call me old fashioned.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/06/16 at 9:34 pm

Depends on how you define gender. For millennia it was defined as how one was born physically. Now people want to redefine the term.
Whatever... Call me old fashioned.

Pray tell, what word should we use for "people whose brains match the brains of those typically with different genitals than theirs," because that's a pretty long way to phrase it.

If I show you a picture of some nude people, it's pretty easy to tell what their sex is.

It's only been very recently that we've been able to physically observe a brain without killing the person (that last part tended to raise a lot of objections towards doing random experiments!) -- but thanks to FMRI and other techniques, we can show a neurologist an image of a human brain without showing them the owner's genitals, and they can generally tell whether that brain was male or female. 

And when we do, it turns out that the physical structure of some people's brains don't always match their genitals.  Really.  This actually happens.  And we can tell, because we can see that the brains of trans people tend to  match the what-they-think-they-are but are the opposite the what-they-look-like-nekkid.  For most everyone else, their "wabbilybits-gender" and "skullgoo-gender" match up.  But brains and genitals are not the same thing. 

We've always had words for what what kind of genitals you were born with.  But now we need a word for what our brains would look like if we were to crack open our skulls and point a microscope at the goo inside.  Back in the day, we used "gender" interchangeably with "sex" because we didn't know the difference between "meatsex" and "brainsex", or "wabbilybitgender" and "skullgoogender" or whatever terms you want to invent -- but they really are two different things, it's just that you need an expensive MRI machine to see whether a brain is male or female.  So researchers, more or less arbitrarily, picked "gender" as the word to reuse. 

Language is descriptive, not prescriptive.  If you want a prescriptive solution, come up with a better word.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/13/16 at 9:38 pm

*digs through 50 corpses and finds a nugget of truth*

http://i.imgur.com/h4P2174.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...